PDA

View Full Version : Help with maths :(

Banglaguy
July 24, 2011, 09:56 AM
I'm beginning further maths A-level two years early in a months time, and I was wondering is there anyone here who can help me here?

lamisa
July 24, 2011, 10:01 AM
further maths? can't help u with that. but i can perhaps with S1 and S2. and C1-4, if u are taking those

Equinox
July 24, 2011, 10:13 AM
What do you need help with?

Ajfar
July 24, 2011, 10:15 AM
You are starting in a month and you need help now? These nerds I tell ya, always pre-gaming.

Banglaguy
July 24, 2011, 10:16 AM
Well, I need to learn Binomial Theorem, Pascal's triangle, Vectors, the use of Pascals Triangle, Straight line thingies, you get the jist.

goru
July 24, 2011, 10:16 AM
Well, I need to learn Binomial Theorem, Pascal's triangle, Vectors, the use of Pascals Triangle etc.

Grab a textbook? Google?

Banglaguy
July 24, 2011, 10:20 AM
Grab a textbook? Google?

Textbook, I've ordered one of Ebay, it's 7-10 working days, but I got a text from Woodhouse college saying I need to learn this and that, otherwise I'll get kicked of the course.

lamisa
July 24, 2011, 10:21 AM
y do u need the pascal triangle?

lamisa
July 24, 2011, 10:22 AM
^^^isn't that a part of binomial theorem?

Banglaguy
July 24, 2011, 10:25 AM
y do u need the pascal triangle?

^^^isn't that a part of binomial theorem?

It is, I just have to remember the theory behind it, and the equation used to solve it. Something like:

(x + y)2 = x2 + 2xy + y2 = 1x2y0 + 2x1y1 + 1x0y2

This is the simple part, as I have no Idea what to do next.... :(

This is worth 2 A-levels, and to get into Oxford, I need to get an A in this, which is 80%.

lamisa
July 24, 2011, 10:45 AM
binomial theorem is the same thing. and i know what A levels is because i just finished it this june!

lamisa
July 24, 2011, 10:48 AM
there are 2 ways to solve problems like that. one can only be used if the power is a whole number. the other can be used in every kind of power, fractions, whole numbers, surd form...

Banglaguy
July 24, 2011, 10:51 AM
binomial theorem is the same thing. and i know what A levels is because i just finished it this june!
Nice one! How did you find it?

there are 2 ways to solve problems like that. one can only be used if the power is a whole number. the other can be used in every kind of power, fractions, whole numbers, surd form...

And what? Oh... I'm gonna fail :(

lamisa
July 24, 2011, 10:56 AM
u want the formula?

Murad
July 24, 2011, 11:00 AM
Banglaguy, read the book first. Read all the theories. Do the examples. You will be good.

Banglaguy
July 24, 2011, 11:28 AM
u want the formula?

Yes please :)

Banglaguy, read the book first. Read all the theories. Do the examples. You will be good.

And I tried, and then, after reading the first page, I closed it :D

lamisa
July 24, 2011, 11:53 AM
(x+y)^n=

x^n +{n.x^(n-1).y}/1!+ {n.(n-1).x^(n-2).y^2}/2! + {n.(n-1)(n-2).x^(n-2).y^3}/3! + {n. (n-1).(n-2).(n-3). x^(n-3).y^4}/4! +.................. y^n

^ means ' to the power'
. means multiply
/ means divide
! means factorial (as in 6! would be 1x2x3x4x5x6)

basically the power of 'x' keeps decreasing from 'n' till it becomes 0 and anything to the power 0 is 1 so u just write y^n. the power of 'y' keeps increasing from 0 till it becomes y^n. just note that whatever the power of "y" is, the expression is divided by the factorial of that number( look at the part in red for example, the power of y is 3 and the whole term is divided by 3!).

if it's (x-y)^n, just treat it like { x+ (-y)}^n and do it the same way. the signs will change automatically throughout the expansion as u take '-y'.

if the power is negative, take it as "-n"."-n-1". "-n-2"......

u can apply this formula for any kind of expansion. the power can be in fraction, negative, anything...

Banglaguy
July 24, 2011, 12:14 PM
(x+y)^n=

x^n +{n.x^(n-1).y}/1!+ {n.(n-1).x^(n-2).y^2}/2! + {n.(n-1)(n-2).x^(n-2).y^3}/3! + {n. (n-1).(n-2).(n-3). x^(n-3).y^4}/4! +.................. y^n

^ means ' to the power'
. means multiply
/ means divide
! means factorial (as in 6! would be 1x2x3x4x5x6)

basically the power of 'x' keeps decreasing from 'n' till it becomes 0 and anything to the power 0 is 1 so u just write y^n. the power of 'y' keeps increasing from 0 till it becomes y^n. just note that whatever the power of "y" is, the expression is divided by the factorial of that number( look at the part in red for example, the power of y is 3 and the whole term is divided by 3!).

if it's (x-y)^n, just treat it like { x+ (-y)}^n and do it the same way. the signs will change automatically throughout the expansion as u take '-y'.

if the power is negative, take it as "-n"."-n-1". "-n-2"......

u can apply this formula for any kind of expansion. the power can be in fraction, negative, anything...

Oh lord, help me! Thank you, I'm gonna copy this onto word pad, and try read it until it gets drilled into my head... Thanks :) You must really love me...

simon
July 24, 2011, 12:41 PM
every body loves u Banglaguy,
u r BC's autopilot after all.;)

Banglaguy
July 24, 2011, 12:50 PM
every body loves u Banglaguy,
u r BC's autopilot after all.;)

I have no Idea what that is, so I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say thanks :D

Ashfaq
July 24, 2011, 01:35 PM
BG, if you want help with Pascal;s triangle and/or binomial theorem, Google has some self-explanatory suggestions on it''s first page.

Banglaguy
July 24, 2011, 01:39 PM
BG, if you want help with Pascal;s triangle and/or binomial theorem, Google has some self-explanatory suggestions on it''s first page.

Wikipedia came up, and it didn't work to well... It made it more difficult.

FaHiMa
July 24, 2011, 05:20 PM
Reading the textbook is your best bet. Other than that you can always do practice question from online and look up each formula/equations. Try google silly!

Zeeshan
July 24, 2011, 05:52 PM
Reading the textbook is your best bet. Other than that you can always do practice question from online and look up each formula/equations. Try google silly!

Great....now watch BG get all emo again.

Zeeshan
July 24, 2011, 05:54 PM
On topic: BG which one is your problem anyway? Some great sites range from yahoo!answers to stack overflow. Although they'd pretty much give the same advice as members here...

Good luck. :)

Banglaguy
July 24, 2011, 06:03 PM
And to think I didn't think of google (!) Haha, yeah, I did, but it didn't give a human answer, if you get my jist.

Great....now watch BG get all emo again.

Your bi polar or some **** ain't you... :D

On topic: BG which one is your problem anyway? Some great sites range from yahoo!answers to stack overflow. Although they'd pretty much give the same advice as members here...

Good luck. :)

Nothing explains it the way Lamisa did. It's basic further maths, like vectors, straight line equations, polynomial thingy...

bujhee kom
July 24, 2011, 10:56 PM
BG Shafie you should take Multi-Vitamins for sharp brain function for better in math and also don't let any young mind bad thought come to your mind when you practice math! Also eat lots of Fish Heads with brains in it. Goat brain is good too, khete paro niomito!. You need clarity in your brain function. Stay off of that Steroid sh!t and hit the gym, don't hit your head, wear a helmet 24/7...MashAllah! Alhamdulillah! Good luck bro!

PS: Do not eat achar/chatnies/Khattas/jhaals etc. because that will only rot and dull your brain and turn you into a genuine infamous Adoo bhai! Then wahat? You will be doin this for 40 freakin yeas!@ Soon your son's girl friend will tutor you for math bro! Daamn, what you gonna do then gangstaa B to the East London 2+2 G?

Banglaguy
July 25, 2011, 05:35 AM
BG Shafie you should take Multi-Vitamins for sharp brain function for better in math and also don't let any young mind bad thought come to your mind when you practice math! Also eat lots of Fish Heads with brains in it. Goat brain is good too, khete paro niomito!. You need clarity in your brain function. Stay off of that Steroid sh!t and hit the gym, don't hit your head, wear a helmet 24/7...MashAllah! Alhamdulillah! Good luck bro!

PS: Do not eat achar/chatnies/Khattas/jhaals etc. because that will only rot and dull your brain and turn you into a genuine infamous Adoo bhai! Then wahat? You will be doin this for 40 freakin yeas!@ Soon your son's girl friend will tutor you for math bro! Daamn, what you gonna do then gangstaa B to the East London 2+2 G?

Fish head? Are you serious chachu? I think steroids will do just fine...

bujhee kom
July 26, 2011, 02:25 AM
Ki chacchu vitamin khaccho tow? Also Beet + Dharosh + Cod Liver Oil khao beshi korey! Math-er jonno buddhi barbey!

bujhee kom
July 26, 2011, 02:30 AM
Oi Miah Shafie ...miah math je paro naa miah....text boi naa kinnaaa cigarret kino naki?
Hey man, tumi Namta paro? Namta bolo 17 er namta 12 porjonto! it goes like
17 X 1 = 17
17 X 2 + 34
17 X 3 =??

Go///

Naimul_Hd
July 26, 2011, 02:53 AM
Oi Miah Shafie ...miah math je paro naa miah....text boi naa kinnaaa cigarret kino naki?

ingite nijer kahini bole fellen naki bk bhai ? LOL

Banglaguy
July 26, 2011, 06:59 AM
Hey man, tumi Namta paro? Namta bolo 17 er namta 12 porjonto! it goes like
17 X 1 = 17
17 X 2 + 34
17 X 3 =??

Go///

Lol! 51.... aha
Ami Ciggarete kai tam nai.... I tried it a few times, but no more... It's kinda haram :D

Now.. What's my prize?

Purbasha T
July 26, 2011, 07:01 PM
M1-M4? Let me know. ;)

Akib
July 26, 2011, 10:19 PM
I always found Khan Academy useful, even in university, for a quick review of stuff I've forgotten.

Banglaguy
July 27, 2011, 06:36 AM
M1-M4? Let me know. ;)

I'm doing C1 and stuff but thank you for the offer, and may Allah return it any way he thinks best.

I always found Khan Academy useful, even in university, for a quick review of stuff I've forgotten.

Thanks... I'm on the website now. I'm getting lots of really good help from Lamisa hear, she's explaining everything for me like a teacher would :)