Manjural Rana
Habibul Bashar
Mohammad Asharaful
Musfiqur Rahman
Khaled Masud
Mohammad Rafiq
Tapos Baysha
Tareq Aziz

i moved up rajin and rana because i think they showed the guts. sumon temporarily should bad a bit lower order until he regains his confidence. And Tareq Aziz deserve to be in at least one test in this series. Rest are all the same.

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by AgentSmith]

oracle
February 24, 2004, 10:34 AM
Curious. Any reason why Ash is behind Tapash:)

Rubu
February 24, 2004, 10:36 AM
just being consistant with the previous order. no perticular reason from me.

Optimist
February 24, 2004, 10:55 AM
Tapash came as a nightwatchman in the first test. He will probably bat after Rafique. And IMHO there is no reason to change the batting order (original) at this point! The only thing worth trying is to move Rana ahead of Mushfique. But that is also not justified because Mushfique was a victim of a bad decision.

Sham
February 24, 2004, 12:12 PM
thats crazy! The last thing we need right now are wholesale changes. I agree with optimist. Rana should come in at 6 and thats about the only change I would make. Moving people up the order is not reward for showing guts. Sometimes people do well playing at a certain position. Rajin tanked up the order against England and he will be less effective up the order against Zimbabwe too. We need runs from Rajin and if he is comfortable at 4, let him stay there. And Sumon has always preferred 3. No point changing that because of one test, even though I have always argued that 3 is not the optimal position for Sumon. And of course, Ashraful behind Taposh makes no sense. Taposh would come in at 10 usually.

rafiq
February 24, 2004, 12:22 PM
sumon's game is suited to being one or two down. we don't have a natural one down player on this team better than sumon.

i think mashud and rana may be better bats than mushfiq, but they are needed to hold down the late order. if the top order is doing well, i would send in mushfiq at 6, otherwise rana might be the better choice, followed by mushfiq and pilot.

adnan
February 24, 2004, 12:47 PM
I have one point about Suman. I have seen him quite a few times struggling against the new ball. Either Caught behind or Lbw within a few balls!

And though he played some good innings with no 1 position, he may consider himself facing when the ball is a little older.

Beamer
February 24, 2004, 12:55 PM
By the time shumon comes into bat, usually we are 10/1 or 20/1, the innings is pretty early. If we can manage to get a good start, like not lose a wkt in the first 50 runs, sumon will be highly effective and play his natural game . Its a rarity that our openers stay together the first hour of an innings. Shumon comes down to bat almost as an opener. I don't like changing positions too much. Taposh coming ahead of ash is a crazy idea!

Rubu
February 24, 2004, 01:00 PM
hay, when i wrote it i didn't even noticed taposh ahead of ash. but thats what happned on last test. i just didn't change it. look at the score board (cricinfo, may be). ok, lets change that. but the question is why didn't it came to attention until now? I'll change the starting thread accordingly.

adnan
February 24, 2004, 01:00 PM
exactly beamer!!

Thats the point ! Sumon just needs to come a little later. If we have an early break, he may come later. I think Rajin proved himself to be a cool headed guy and even with new ball he is handy.

Well, still a situation like 15/5 would never help again.

lol@agent :)

[Edited on 2/24/2004 by adnan]

Sham
February 24, 2004, 02:27 PM
You still have Taposh coming ahead of Mushfiq and Pilot. Taposh under normal circumstances should come no higher than 9, probably at 10. He was only sent up the order (as you saw from the scorecards) to act as nightwatchman on the evening of the 2nd day! Unless he is used as nightwatchman again, he will bat below Mushfiq and Pilot as well, and probably Rafiq too.

Adnan and Beamer, you are both right about Sumon struggling early. However, its not usually the new ball that gets him so much as his early innings antics. Its not that Sumon is not comfortable against the nwe ball. Its just that he is such a bad starter (cutting from the first ball he faces), he is much more vulnerable against the new ball.

We all want Sumon to play his natural game. However, if the idiot could only learn to give the first few overs to the bowler and then play his natural game, he would be fine, even if he had to come in at 5 for 1. How many times does Sumon get out prodding at balls waaay outside the off stump or trying to cut them before he has played an over out. Thats the problem really in my opinion. Sumon just needs to be like Rajin for 20-30 mins at the start of the innings. After that, he can go wild if he wants to.

Pundit
February 24, 2004, 02:37 PM
Agent Smith, go forward and learn the game a bit more - that will help you better understand the logic behind a batting sequence.

If Bashar didn't come in at one down, we would be more often at 10/2 than 10/1. Rajin's been doing well at his position, let him continue that. Ideally, we would want the most straight batting player with impeccable focus and high patience to come in at one down. If that is Rajin (?), then maybe so. I'm just like always reluctant to violate an on going order ! But I may not be the wise one here.

Rubu
February 24, 2004, 03:06 PM
i have to accept i made a mistake. looking at the batting sequence i thought baysha is an all rounder. and that happens because i was detauched from discussion about cricket for a while and didn't know him much. Banglacricket gave me this change again, thanks a lot BANGLACRICKET. but, i find mr. pundits comment offensive. he should be more careful about expressing opinion about someone.

"If Bashar didn't come in at one down, we would be more often at 10/2 than 10/1"

about this part, please read the other posting of this thread and re-evaluate your comment with that. see, i'm not asking your punditto about cricket.

Pundit
February 24, 2004, 05:26 PM
Mr. Agent Smith -

i find mr. pundits comment offensive

Hehe, fortunately for you, so do many other people on this board. But I am being taught a lesson on politeness slowly, so please have some patience.

...and re-evaluate your comment with that.

What is there to re-evaluate ? I don't have to conform with other statements, do I ? Besides, its not out of context, is it ?

Rubu
February 24, 2004, 05:32 PM
yeah, u don't have to conferm with others opinion and u are trapped write there. if u don't have, why should I? and i'm i need to improve my knowledge, u've to do that for the same reason. good luck on that, oh yeah, also in your politeness lesssion.

Pundit
February 24, 2004, 06:02 PM
Mr. Agent Smith,

Please, some more coherency !! I am at a loss there trying to understand what you are saying ?? Do you not have much time in hand when writing down your postings ??

Anyway, it doesn't matter !! Its probably just not worth it !!

Rubu
February 24, 2004, 10:09 PM
forget it. tired of this crap.

fwullah
February 24, 2004, 11:17 PM
Today's prothom Alo says Alamgir will replace Monju (NOT TAREQ) and there's a possibility that Hannan may be out, too and Pilot will replace Hannan at the opening position - but since there's no other (in form) batsman in the side to get in, so probably Hannan will survive this time.

I think that the thought of dropping Hannan comes from the fact that Hannan is not selecting his shots properly, along with Sumon, but since Sumon is the captain, and with his good batting average, so there's no way to drop Sumon as well.

Sham
February 24, 2004, 11:21 PM
Now they are going make Pilot a Test opener? Sigh!

I think the reporter just made that up! How hard is it to say "there is a possibility" of something happening?

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by Sham]

AsifTheManRahman
February 24, 2004, 11:28 PM
Bashar should bat at no. 3...ashraful is ok at 5...rana should be at 7...mushfique will do fine at 6...pilot at 8, rafiq at 9...rajin's good for no. 4...