PDA

View Full Version : Rafiq: First BD player to get 50,100,150...wickets in test cricket

Zephaniah
February 24, 2004, 06:53 PM
Self-explanatory

I don't think he'll get 200 wickets though.

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by Zephaniah]

oracle
February 24, 2004, 08:35 PM
50 by this year is within reach. He could strive to get 100 by end of career especially if we get another test nation next year, say Kenya.

fwullah
February 24, 2004, 11:22 PM
I don't think Rafique will survive to get his 150th wicket, he is overworked too much to let him last that long.

James90
February 25, 2004, 04:41 AM
Wow freaky! I was thinking the same thing the other day. First to 50 and 100

Zephaniah
February 25, 2004, 07:17 PM
I've a horrible feelings that Rafiq would retire just after WC2007. Till then BD will play atleast 14 test matches possibly involving Rafiq in all of 'em. So far Rafiq took 4.66 wickets per test match. At this rate he will end up with 107/108 wickets.

Nasif
February 25, 2004, 07:25 PM
Rafiq still has many years in him. But its a possibility that he might retire after 2007. I think he won't retire if his place is secure in side. If there is a competitor and his place isn't defintie then he might retire.

Ahmed_B
February 26, 2004, 09:19 AM
with such a good ranking as Rafiq has, probably he or the team itslef wont want him to retire too soon.
mayb his performance and ranking wil inspire him to stay longer with the side ... lets just hope he is not overworked causing him losing his form.
he is realy a 'natural' class player!

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 26, 2004, 01:43 PM
rafiq, ottanto uchu maner player shondeho nai. kintu durbhaggo amader cricket boarder je tara onek porai dhorte perechilo je rafiq shudhui one day noi borong akjon ottanto guruttopurno test player. board jodi age take khuje ber korte shokkhom hoto tahole kintu ami mone kori je 150 wicket newa khub akta kothin kichu hoto na tar jonno. hater nagaler moddhai kintu thakto. dannabad.

rafiq
February 26, 2004, 02:25 PM
Let's not forget the Board (or whoever it was) nearly ran him out of cricket. Moni was picked ahead of Rafique for years. A couple of years ago, rafique refused to tour with the A team and instead was playing club cricket, looking to go aboard, etc. Only after Moni retired did Rafique get his permanent breakthrough. Something that sets him apart is depsite all the past history around why he didn't play, he kept his head in the game and came back in a big way. That can't be said for a many of our senior players who disgrace themselves by whining and complainng when they are axed.

acbizz
February 26, 2004, 02:38 PM
another specialty about the arm-ball is that it doesn't always come in same high....rafiq can control the delivery very well... it will pitch straight to the batsmen sometime high...sometime low... It's very difficult to read...by the way I can bowl this one...its a very nice weapon...u just need to use 1/2 time per over, specially on the 2nd and 5th bowl on the over.

Moni was chosen over Rafiq because of his turning ability...however, that was a mistake.... They both should be in the team...who know we could have won a test already because of that

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by acbizz]

Navarene
February 26, 2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by rafiq
A couple of years ago, rafique refused to tour with the A team and instead was playing club cricket, looking to go aboard, etc.

To add a bit more about Rafique, he is a grandeur of character as well. I had the honor to meet him in person a few years back in Dhaka. A very mild voice soft spoken person.

Later he earned my respect more when I read a long substantial interview of Rafique in daily Prothom Alo. He elaborated how hard work he went through to become a top class cricketer. He used to have crossed the river to reach Dhaka to join the practice sessions. And the reason he desperately wanted to compete in main stream Dhaka based cricket was so that he could earn more and financially help his family.

My salute goes to Rafique, who is probably now the best left arm slower orthodox in world cricket.

fab
February 26, 2004, 06:14 PM
Yes, he is a no-nonsense, very serious type of guy. But I read here once (sorry can't find the quote) that he is not the most intelligent of players - is this true? Has he ever captained a team?

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 27, 2004, 12:45 AM
jaihok,
rafiq kintu akjon ottanto uchu maner spinner. ebong tini kintu akshomoy ottanto bhalo lower order hard hitter batsman chilen. run rate ki kibhabe barate hobe sheta kintu tini khub bhalo bhabe janten. tai bat a shai dharta akhon kintu nai. tobe asha korbo sheta abar fire ashbe. amar kintu mone ache tini jokhon mathe namten tokhon kintu mathke gore tulten gorom korai ar moton uttopto. bole bole tini kintu marten shudhu 4 ar 6. tobe rafiq ar bol a kintu akhon dhar aro bereche. bipokkho doler jonno tini kintu akhon akta bhoyongkor dushhopno. tar arm boll kintu onek bikkhato. jaihok durbhaggo rafiq je take amader board age chinte pare nai. tobe i give all the credit to rafiq for his passion to cricket and for not giving it up like other seniors. or else we would lost a really good star. i think and i am pretty sure if our other senior players stopped whinning and complaining and instead kept on playing like rafiq then i am sure they would have been star like rafiq. because i am sure they have the skill and they are also experienced and infact for them we are able to reach at the stage we are right now.