PDA

View Full Version : Very Fishy

chinaman
February 26, 2004, 07:59 AM
Something just doesn't sound right. There was no rain since early morning. Temperature was high enough and the sun was shining. Yet they called it a day. Usually even a shower during the match doesn't cause abandonment of the day's proceedings.

Does it meant to give Streak and Blig some more time to recover and be in the final 11 technically? I don't know. It just doesn't smell right.

[Edited on 2-26-2004 by chinaman]

Hasib
February 26, 2004, 08:03 AM
I was just thinking about that...

Sami
February 26, 2004, 08:08 AM
can they name a new 11 if the play starts for the fist time in day 2?? dont they have to name the 11 right before day 1 and stick to it too?

chinaman
February 26, 2004, 08:19 AM
Streak's back spasm might eased up significantly with another day of relaxation and care. If they are convinced enough that day one's play would not be possible, they sure can count on him from next day onward and could include his name whenever required.

Question is how many times a full day's play was abandoned due to rain that fell only in the previous night without continuing in the morning?

Sham
February 26, 2004, 08:23 AM
Rain delays and play decisions are made by the ICC panel of umpires who are neutral for every match and all matches are overseen by an ICC match referee. This is not the Zimbabwean cricket board deciding when to start play. So we can put away our conspiracy theories, unless we want to claim that the umpires and match referee are in cohorts with the conniving Zimbo's in trying to get Streak into this match.

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by Sham]

Sami
February 26, 2004, 08:26 AM
and still no one answers my qestion :duh:

Hasib
February 26, 2004, 08:26 AM
maybe they r not drying it properly... the groundsmen

chinaman
February 26, 2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by radicalsami
and still no one answers my qestion :duh:

Each captain shall nominate his players in writing to the umpires before the toss and the toss must be carried out not earlier than 30 minutes and not later than 15 minutes, before the scheduled or any rescheduled time for the match to start.

Once nominated, no player may be changed without the consent of the opposing captain.

[Edited on 2-26-2004 by chinaman]

akabir77
February 26, 2004, 08:53 AM
Bangladesh will draw if play resumes for 4 days only :fanflag:

Carte Blanche
February 26, 2004, 09:07 AM
I read on the cricinfo site that ZCU was planning on making tomorrow a fresh start day for the test. But that would require permission from ICC. Just to extend our conspiracy theories, I have a feeling the ZCU ordered the groundsmen not to dry the field up properly so that they can carry out their plan of staging a fresh match starting tomorrow.

Rubu
February 26, 2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Sham
Rain delays and play decisions are made by the ICC panel of umpires who are neutral for every match and all matches are overseen by an ICC match referee. This is not the Zimbabwean cricket board deciding when to start play. So we can put away our conspiracy theories, unless we want to claim that the umpires and match referee are in cohorts with the conniving Zimbo's in trying to get Streak into this match.

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by Sham]

sham, i think u are missing a point here. no doubt the ampires decide whether the field is playable or not. BUT, the grounds men of zim officials make it playable. if they don't take enough care of the field in purpose to make the field unplayable, the ampires has nothing to do. technically, this conspiracy is possible.

chinaman
February 26, 2004, 09:29 AM
There were rumours that the Zimbabwe Cricket Union was trying to reschedule the match to start tomorrow, and so hopefully allow the game to run for the full five days. But that would have needed the sanction of the International Cricket Council and there were no signs that any formal request had been made.

The delay will give Heath Streak and Stuart Carlisle more time to try to shake off their injuries. Streak has back spasms but is likely to play, Carlisle has a quadricep strain and is considered an unlikely starter.

Source: Bulawayo washout (http://plus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/FEB/078631_ZIMBDESH2003-04_26FEB2004.html)

Sham
February 26, 2004, 09:46 AM
while the groundstaff belong to the Zimbabwean cricket board, they are supervised by the Match Officials during the duration of the Test. Therefore, if there are cenrtain wet patches, the umpires can instruct the ground staff to dry them up. What you are saying is conceivable, but if the umpires do their job properly it should not happen.

You are wrong in saying the umpire has nothing to do with the drying process. As a matter of fact, if it is felt that the ground authorities have been neglectful in their duties to make the ground playworthy, the match referee can report it in his match report to the ICC. Doing something so dodgy isn't as simple as you guys make it out to be.

Sham
February 26, 2004, 09:51 AM
that was not included in CM bhai's quote, the writer says that the 'ground was sodden.'

Of course Zimbabwe has an incentive to start tomorrow. No doubt about it. And they probably weren't running around like there is no tomorrow to get the match started. But I am quite sure they did not sabotage play like some of you would like to believe.

fwullah
February 26, 2004, 11:54 AM
Channel I news reports that at 4 PM local time (light stays upto 6 PM, if ground is ready - at least in Harare, it was possible for play upto 6 PM), it started raining again. So play was suspended for the day.

Can't say anything about what happened upto 4 PM, though the report did say that both Heath Streak declined to play and Habibul Bashar agreed - and I think that Streak's reason is what you guessed, and Habibul Bashar's reason is if this test can be a drawn one, then it'll be good for Bangladesh.

Ehsan
February 26, 2004, 12:01 PM
Fahmida Appu, any news if the game will start from tomorrow and be played for five days?

Nasif
February 26, 2004, 01:11 PM
I don't think ICC will allow that on such a short notice. So 4 more days for this test :)

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 26, 2004, 01:40 PM
jaihok,
onek jolpona kolponar por kintu prothom diner match bheste gelo. hoita eta bangladesher jonno shukokor hote pare. ke jane. tabe jaihok asha kori je ai test match a amra atleast draw korte shokkhom hobe. purbe kintu onekai zimbabwe groundsmander kotha onek kichu boleche. tobe je jai boluk, ebong ashole shotti ghotona jai hok, ami asha korbo je shboi, this includes zimbabwe, their groundsman and board and players ofcourse, umpire and also bangladesh mone rakhbe je cricket akti shot khela. ar moddhe jeno kono karchupi na thake. dannabad.

bhobishshot
February 26, 2004, 02:51 PM
I don't care if we win or lose, I want 450 overs of play. I can't feel proud of a rain delayed draw.

Rubu
February 26, 2004, 03:33 PM
It is quite unlikely to get a result from a 4 day test. now, with an half powered zim team, this was our best chance to win a test within ......well may be next time we meet zim. i'm disappointed about the rain for this reason. we lost our best chance to win a match.

SS
February 26, 2004, 03:52 PM
another rain affected draw...i guess we should be happy out it...and we missed the chance...once opportunity goes away it never comes back...
we missed the chance

Optimist
February 26, 2004, 04:06 PM
It seems you guys are certain that we can manage a draw! What if the bads of the first test remain and the good perishes! Like top order collapse accompanied by lower order failure!

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by Optimist]

SS
February 26, 2004, 04:12 PM
thatz most likely to happen!!!

Nijhum
February 26, 2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Optimist
It seems you guys are certain that we can manage a draw! What if the bads of the first test remain and the goods perishes! Like top order collapse accompanied by lower order failure!

That was so optimistic of you Mr. optimist. But that's very possible anyway

deshibhai
February 26, 2004, 04:41 PM
very interesting observations.

if we try hard, we might even be able to charge the Zimbos with the Kennedy assassination. :lol:

Optimist
February 26, 2004, 04:56 PM
I am optimistic! but the memories of disappointment always haunt me! Whenever we thought that "if only we could improve this!" something else popped up and showed us we have a long way to go! Just in the last home series against Egland, after the first test I was thinking if only we could turn those 50's into 100's! And you know what happened in the second test!

Nijhum
February 26, 2004, 05:27 PM
May be we are stretching it too much, may be we are just not yet there to spawn such hopes, may be it was just a 'friend-turned-foe' spike in our performance that inspired ICC to throw us in the middle of a brutal brawl, for which we don't possess enough mettle to walk along...

but once out there, whining is not gonna help much either, so lets clench our teeth and take the heat.

Piranha
February 26, 2004, 05:52 PM
In any case, I think Zimbabwe are feeling confident enough about themselves. I dont think <strong>they feel</strong> such actions are necessary.

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by Piranha]

Rubu
February 26, 2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Optimist
It seems you guys are certain that we can manage a draw! What if the bads of the first test remain and the good perishes! Like top order collapse accompanied by lower order failure!

it doesn't really matter if we loose. 26th lose or 28th lose, what is the big difference? just one more. but see, if we win, thats the first. so, i'd gamble for win without any hesitation even though that means a bigger chance to loose.

Optimist
February 26, 2004, 08:53 PM
I don't know about you. But I will be happy if we earn (really earn) a draw!

capslock
February 26, 2004, 09:58 PM
And hey! Weren't the Zimbos seen doing some suspicious dances the day before....do I have to say it....RAIN DANCES!!!???!!!!

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 27, 2004, 12:31 AM
jaihok, matro kintu ar char din royeche. ebong bangladesh asha korbo tara shokkhom hobe ai chardin khelte. tahole kintu draw amra peteo pari. etai kintu ami asha kori. dannabad.

kkakash
February 28, 2004, 08:16 PM
come on its zim its suppose to be strange.
:fire: