PDA

View Full Version : NHL season thread : 2011-12

Pages : [1] 2

Beamer
October 6, 2011, 09:54 AM
The day is finally here ! Here is to another great season for a game we dearly love...

cricman
October 7, 2011, 11:14 AM
I heard Sid's brain is scrambled eggs at this point. Hope he comes back but at 110% so he doesn't get killed out there.

Nice win out in riot city.

Beamer
October 7, 2011, 12:28 PM
That's a very rude and classless comment about anybody who is suffering from a brain injury.

cricman
October 7, 2011, 12:50 PM
That's a very rude and classless comment about anybody who is suffering from a brain injury.

The scrambled eggs? Thats the only way I can describe it. There was no malicious intent. I'm just pointing out the obvious.

I saw Mike Richter career shortened just off a innocent puck to helmet.

I'm just saying he needs to be cautious, When he comes back he needs to be able to take the hits. The studies on Concussions have advanced alot in the past few years.

Beamer
October 7, 2011, 01:45 PM
Well, FYI, his brain is not scrambled eggs. He is training hard, and will be cleared for contact soon. There is nothing obvious about your comment. Its still classless, with or without malice. Not long ego, Brad Richards was also fighting concussions, albeit not as severe as Sid's, and I am happy that he is back again playing. Obviously, calling it as scrambled egg, as the only way to describe it is poor and tasteless..

Nocturnal
October 8, 2011, 12:56 AM
Pittsburgh Penguins at Calgary :)
Go Flames!

Leafs PWN
October 18, 2011, 01:34 PM
Pittsburgh Penguins at Calgary :)
Go Flames!

Kipper's game has dropped so much. TBH i was a little surprised.

He's still good, but not the dominating top 5 G he used to be a few seasons ago.

Stupid *** leafs need to play a consistent games. Every single game they mess around for huge stretches of time.

The good teams will kiss us for that.

How bout that Kessel ? :notworthy:

Beamer
October 18, 2011, 02:25 PM
Kessel's on fire right now..

Leafs PWN
October 19, 2011, 10:38 PM
Holy crap, Kessel pulls out another one. SO PUMPED RIGHT NOW!!

Komisarek is useless. The worst D in the league. Makes Lebda look like Lidstrom.

Also, Lupul has been a pleasent surprise. Perfect match for Kessel. Beauchemin trade <3

FagunerAgun
November 9, 2011, 12:04 PM
Leafs were doing good. Now it sux.

Go Kessel go! NHL's best player for the month of October.

MohammedC
November 9, 2011, 12:23 PM
For a second I thought "Bangladesh Hockey League" is starting.

FagunerAgun
November 9, 2011, 12:29 PM
For a second I thought "Bangladesh Hockey League" is starting.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Next day after the game, the whole ice will be sold out in churai pothe...

Beamer
November 9, 2011, 02:11 PM
There is a NHL thread already for this season..

FagunerAgun
November 9, 2011, 03:10 PM
Mods, please remove this duplicate thread.

FagunerAgun
November 14, 2011, 12:03 PM
Leafs sux again.

AsifTheManRahman
November 21, 2011, 07:32 PM
Sidney Crosby is back! NHL begins! And of course, he scores within six minutes of his return.

Leafs PWN
December 6, 2011, 03:21 PM
****ing hate Chara. Piece of **** is just too good. Kessel has zero space everytime we play the Bruins.

Liking the new division alignment for the Leafs.

7 teams, and FLA and TBL are the added teams.

FagunerAgun
December 6, 2011, 09:24 PM
NJD 2 Leafs 2

FagunerAgun
December 9, 2011, 09:08 PM
Now stupid Leafs have learnt total BD collapse.

FagunerAgun
January 3, 2012, 09:15 PM
Leafs 6 TBL 3 in the 3rd period.

FagunerAgun
January 10, 2012, 07:38 PM
Wow! Leafs 2 Sabres 0 at the end of 1st period..hope Leafs will win tonight.

Tigers_eye
January 31, 2012, 01:50 PM
Beamer,
Whasss up? Visiting BD? This is too long of an absense.

FagunerAgun
January 31, 2012, 08:22 PM
Leafs 2, Penguino 0 in the middle of the 2nd.

FagunerAgun
February 2, 2012, 11:09 PM
In the home game: Leafes 1, Penguino 0

FagunerAgun
February 7, 2012, 10:20 PM
Hope Leafs win tonight against Jets.

Beamer
March 8, 2012, 01:42 PM
Its been a while here.

Went to the Pens-Leafs last night. Mario statue looks great outside.

Had the misfortune of sitting behind a group of really really unruly Leafs fans. Man, now I know where Sohel gets his hatred from. Those guys were just straight up drunk punks who drove down from ONT ( not too far from Pitt). Man, they were cursing at us, our team, our whole city. Finally the ushers had enough. Why drive down and spend all this money to go to a game only to get wasted and get kicked out by second period? And, where the arrogance come from? When was the last time Leafs won the cup? Second World war? jeez..

I am sure there are a lot of nice Leafs fans, but there seems to be a trend here. Oh, Leafs lost to our AHL goalie last night. We gave Fleury a breather and back up Johnson wasn't feeling well. So, there ! I do like this Leafs team. I think they have a lot of good young talent, but talent alone is not enough as they are slipping on the last spot for playoffs..

Sohel
March 9, 2012, 10:33 PM
Caught the ceremony on Internet TV and was moved. Mario changed the game in more ways than one and it's a shame that injuries prevented him from doing more.

That encounter with Leafs fans sounds familiar. I remember going to my first Red Wings game at the Olympia in 1980 and seeing a huge number of those drunken losers heckling us and the USA in our own building. Miracle on Ice happened just 8 months ago and they hadn't won the Cup since '67 but that didn't stop them. Sure we sucked back then but seeing those guys driving down just to dis us was something of an impression they deeply etched into a 13 year old Bangladeshi. Of course the Leafs weren't even playing in Detroit that day!

I hope we get healthy and the guys get their timing right before the playoffs. Pasha (Datsyuk) is set to return this week but no real word on Nick (5), Howard (35) and Eric (52). That being said, it's good to see guys stepping up in their absence and preventing a really bad slide like (predictably) Loseronto. Great to see Val (51), Junior (55) and Helmer (43) reach new heights this year, and White (18) now with Quincey (27) and Smith (2) adding depth to our formidable blue line. I hope to GOD Stew (23) gets way less ice time in the playoffs as the result. Hank (40) and the Mule (93) are in good form, Joey's (31) doing great between the pipes and once again I love our chances this year, now that Setoguchi is no longer with the Sharks. That dude had our number in the playoffs.

Alongside Smith, I'm pretty high on young centerman Gustav Nyquist (14). Skilled and tough with early signs of solid 2-way sensibilities, I'd love to see him mature into another Stevie (19)-Sergei (91)-Pasha (13) type in 5-6 years.

Sohel
March 10, 2012, 01:28 AM
BTW, I never expected Stamkos to become the goal-machine he has become. Not at all easy on the eyes because of his choppy, lugubrious skating and awkwardly unsmooth dekes, he has the one of the most accurate shots from a pair of the quickest hands I've ever seen. I think he'll score 60+ almost every season. Sid has company when it comes to goalscoring.

Dilscoop
March 10, 2012, 02:53 AM
I don't really follow NHL until the very end of the season. But I'm tired of doing cricket designs. So you NHL nerds just let me know aight?

AsifTheManRahman
March 10, 2012, 10:26 AM
Pretty impressive comeback by the Pens - been a hard fought season but now sitting at #5 overall with an almost sure shot at the playoffs.

Some stiff competition for the Presidents' Trophy at the top too.

Leafs PWN
March 11, 2012, 11:18 AM
FAIL 4 NAIL.

More like Grigorenko.

Too bad they canned tank commander before the end of the season.

Sohel
March 12, 2012, 12:02 AM
The Pens are on a great run and with Sid set to return soon, they have a good chance to go deep into the playoffs and contend for the Cup. Malkin has always been one of my favorite players and I hope he wins the Hart this year. He deserves it.

Statistically, the Red Wings assess our context differently. We look for 3 or 4 two-way forwards scoring 20+ goals and 30+ assists, solid offensive contribution from the blueline, solid goaltending, and lots of guys at the top of the +/- category. We look for overlooked players in the low rounds who can fit into this particular scheme of things, and polish them into two-way gems like Nick, Pasha and Hank.

Beamer
March 12, 2012, 01:01 PM
Sorry about the rant the other night Leafs fans ! I had beer drenched all over me when the scuffle broke out in front as they were getting kicked out. I should send the dry cleaning bill to Toronto Maple Leafs :)

Sohel bro, the more I watch and think about the Red Wings, the more impressed I become. Year after year they have to draft late, because they are always in top four, and yet they manage to develop guys that fit their style and system, who become stars. If I may, I can draw a parallel to another team that is close to my heart- The Pittsburgh Steelers. We also draft late every round in late twenties or thirties, but never misfire. Always get the right guy for the SYSTEM. And, its been like that for decades, just like the Wings. Pens had the good fortune of really stinking for four-five years after bankruptcy, but the return has been great in first rounders for four straight years ( all high picks )- Fleury-Malkin-Crosby-Staal. No complains !!Blackhawks are another team that had to go the Pens way and doing great.

Huge win yesterday vs Bruins. Nine in a row. Malkin is for Hart. He has carried this team on his broad shoulders. This is a different Malkin. After the injury shortened season last year, he went back to Russia and worked his tail off. Now, he is great in face-off ( once a weakness ), great along the wall and impossible to move and back checks like a demon. He doesn't do the blind back passes any more. He plays Bylsma system to a T now. His talents were never in doubt, but now he is a better all round player. Staal is becoming a great player. He too missed a lot of time this year. Now, the big question mark is Sidney. The fear is always in the back of mind. I am happy he is coming back, but I do realize he is one hit away from prolonged absence. Such a shame. He was on his way to greatness until some dipshit named Steckel decided to drive his forearm on the back of his neck. I am worried and have no expectations. Pens are a contender, but, in playoffs it takes more to become a winner. Luck, hot goalie, key injury can derail everything.

Very impressed with Rangers this year. Philly is a superb team. Devils are back and no one wants them with Broduer in net. Bruins are fast and strong. So, many contenders. I don't think Ottawa can this year, though they have been a great story.

In West, watch out for Blues. They are a hard team. Red Wings are of course the no.1 contender, followed by Blues. Preds are good until two rounds. Sharks are pathetic and will miss playoffs. Canucks are good, but in Luongo, no one trusts. Blackhawks are dark horse, though they have goalie issues. Its gonna be Red Wings vs Rangers/Pens/Devils/Flyers. I just don't see any team in the West as well rounded as Wings. All seven teams on West have major holes.

Beamer
March 12, 2012, 01:16 PM
Stamkos is a sniper. Exceptional slap shot and almost unstoppable when St.Loius feeds him just outside the right circle. In that interview with Mario on NHL Network, he mentioned Stamkos as one ticketed for greatness in future. I think Mario likes those right handers ! He also pointed out Datsuyk as a magician and said he wishes he had his ( pavel's ) hands. The interviewer asked him about some modern day players not named Crosby and he mentioned three- Stamkos- Malkin-Pavel

AsifTheManRahman
March 12, 2012, 01:17 PM
They should make Malkin a Canadian citizen.

Beamer
March 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Dude..Canada has enough Center's. Don't ya think?

Crosby, B.Richards, M.Richards, Getzslaf, Stamkos, Towes, P. Bergeron, Staal brothers, Jumbo Joe..I am sure I am missing a few more good ones. Canada don't need anyone..

Sohel
March 13, 2012, 10:38 PM
Beamer bro, your comparison to the Steelers is spot on. Necessity is the mother of invention, and in our case, Bowman came up with a way to find great players often neglected because of biased perception. He came up with the hockey version of "Money Ball" decades before Brad Pitt landed his Oscar nomination.

Pasha is indeed a special player. The phenomenal 2-way skills and vision notwithstanding, his presence makes others around him play better. Part inspiration and awe, but mostly his playmaking. Nick has the effect thing and their absence has resulted in mediocrity for the team as a whole. Both are silent types who lead from the front that way, and we can't seem to start well or carry the puck into the opposition zone with ease without them. Junior has become an elite player in many ways but nobody has an outlet pass like Senior. Rafalski also had a great outlet pass and we sure miss him lots. Losing the puck has become another issue in their absence.

Nick is set to retire this year, and as irreplaceable as he is, we'll do fine with Junior, Eric, White, Quincey and Smith. We can do better than Stew and Kindl and we ought to.

Pasha on the other hand is totally irreplaceable. I don't think we'll find another like him in any round let alone the 171st! Gus is capable becoming a similar type of player, but not as good. I rate Pasha's overall game higher than Stevie and Sergei's and that's saying a lot. I can't wait for him to become captain.

Anyway, we seem to be coming back after an unacceptably slow start against the Kings. Hank just scored.

And yes, the Thugs are a good team and Giroux is simply great to watch.

Beamer
March 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
I had a chance to scan the West. Admittedly, I am not too up to mark with the West, since Pens are on the East and I get to watch more East teams than the West. Saying that, the playing field in the West don't impress me much sans Wings. The traditional power houses along with Wings have been Canucks and Sharks. Cancuks are inconsistent lately and Sharks are underachieving big time. Outside of Wings, the Blues are having a terrific season. When we played them early, they dominated us physically, though we won in OT ( Pens are like 14-1 against West this year !! ). They are a hard team. But, in the end, maybe to inexperienced for the playoffs. They have a great tandem in goal. Preds are tough as usual and they seem to be going for the Cup this year. But, Wings have their number, so unless something gives, I see Wings beating them again. Now, Chicago is a complete dark horse and you can never count them out, but they have severe question mark in goal. Good one night, bad the next, but they remain a super team. Dallas is having a good season but I don't think its a cup team. Despite all the injuries, I feel like Wings are the best team in the West and best suited for playoffs and with those playoff experience. I think the traditional power have shifted to the East this year from West. In the Atlantic alone, you have Rangers ( having a tremendous season ), Pens, Philly ( just scary with Giroux ) and of course the Devils.

It is going to be Wings vs Rangers/Pens/Philly/Devils ..write it down..

FagunerAgun
March 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
Stupid Maple Leafs.....:facepalm:

Leafs PWN
March 17, 2012, 02:53 AM
Stupid Maple Leafs.....:facepalm:

Embrace the tank bro!!

We need to trim the crap in the off season and play some of our AHL guys, who are ready for prime time. It probably wont happen, but that's what I think needs to happen.

Namely, Lombo, Connolly (:facepalm:), Komi and Army to an extent need to beat it. Frattin, Kadri, Holzner all are ready for a long look, and I feel will do much better than that sad bunch.

Loops - Bozak - Kessel
Mac - Grabo - Kuly
Frattin - Kadri - Ashton
Crabb - Steckel - Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnar
Gards - Schenn
Liles - Franson/Holzner

Looks like a solid team to me for next year. Especially since Carlyle can actually make the team play some D. He'll also undoubtedly have the team playing a good physical game.

Under RW D was horrid, and the team was just WAY too soft.

Leafs PWN
March 17, 2012, 03:11 AM
Also, did you guys hear about Howson's asking price for Nash?

Apparently it was 2 roster players + 2 top prospects + 1st LOLOL

The best rumored offer came from the Rags, and it was Duby + Erixon + Miller + Thomas + 1st

If true, Howson is the biggest ****ing idiot on the planet for turning that down.

He thinks he's dealing Malkin.

Nash makes way too much money for what he brings. Overpaid by about 1.5 M.

Beamer
March 18, 2012, 08:39 AM
He can still deal him in off season. He is not an UFA. There will be bigger share of teams he can try to fleece. Someone will bite. He is a great winger, but, like you said, a bit overpaid.

Beamer
March 21, 2012, 10:25 AM
I love the Winnie Jets, their fans, and their passion, but...its a bad idea to play a wide open game against the Pens. They do it every time against us. Their D always pinch deep in our territory, which results in goals for them, but at the same time, it leaves them vulnerable to our ferocious counter attack. I want the Jets to get in the playoffs and rooting for them all the way.

Beamer
March 21, 2012, 10:51 AM
oh BTW, huge game between Rangers-Wings tonight. I will be watching..

Leafs PWN
March 21, 2012, 05:07 PM
He can still deal him in off season. He is not an UFA. There will be bigger share of teams he can try to fleece. Someone will bite. He is a great winger, but, like you said, a bit overpaid.

The thing is, Nash submitted a list of 4 teams IIRC, that he will accept a trade to. Both him, and his agent have told Howson several times that the number of teams will not grow in the summer.

I think the only team that can up their offer significantly is the Sharks, but it has been reported by Kipper and BMac that Nash does not want to go the West Coast.

Additionally, seldom do you see a player yielding more value in the summer than during the TDD.

I think Howson, or mostly like his replacement, will look back at the Rags offer, and wonder why it wasn't accepted.

That's a mammoth offer.

Beamer
March 22, 2012, 12:35 PM
Keep it clean man. Rangers, not Rags. Disrespectful to their fans. You are allowed to dislike a team, but, we don't need to make disparaging remarks about teams and players.

Thanks.

Leafs PWN
March 24, 2012, 10:07 PM
LOL Rags is shortcut for Rangers. In no shape or form that can be considered disrespect.

And how the heck do you see any form of hatred in that past?

Baffling why anyone would think that.

Beamer
March 27, 2012, 02:21 PM
Most Rangers fans take offense to that term. At least the ones I know..Anyway..suit yourself man..Not my team.

Leafs PWN
April 5, 2012, 01:30 PM
Surprising, one of my best friends is a Rangers fan, and he calls the team Rags. Depends on people I guess.

Sigh, another year, another off season in the greens.

Picking your Pitt as the favs to win if Crosby stays healthy. That 1-2 punch, along with a solid tender, and coach like Bylsma is a recipe for success in the PO.

Leafs better suck and stay at #5. Need one of Galchenyuk or Forsberg.

Leafs PWN
April 18, 2012, 03:02 AM
Wonder what kind of a letter Mario is gonna write now

Absolute horse **** from the Pens against the Phils

Nocturnal
April 20, 2012, 08:07 AM
NHL Playoff Series so far:
http://i.imgur.com/6lWzI.jpg

AsifTheManRahman
April 20, 2012, 08:26 AM
I had a feeling the Flyers would advance even before this round of Playoffs began. Sorry to see the Canucks going down too. Sure, comebacks happen, but what are the odds? Chicago and Washington are pretty screwed too. The Sharks are playoff chokers, so no surprise there.

Sohel
April 22, 2012, 01:24 AM
Hawks and Pens are recent Cup winners with considerable depth and solid goaltending. I won't count them out yet. The Bruins are also in it. Our exit on the other hand became clear to me from game 1 of our series. Just like against the Sharks over the last two years, we peppered the opposition with bogus shots from odd angles as the opposition funneled us into the boards in their zone. Not good when they have top of the line goalies from Finaland. Time to get rid of good-for-nothing liabilities like Stuart, Hudler and Bertuzzi and contend again next year.

My "Dark Horse" teams for this year: Nashville and the Kings. Both Rinne and Quick are capable of stealing the Cup with those solid D-men and back-checkers in front of them. The Blues aren't really "Dark Horse" and may go all the way.

Sohel
April 22, 2012, 11:18 PM
I expected the Pens-Philly series to end in 7, preferably with a Pens victory, but Giroux and company proved to be too hungry for early advancement. Great to see such intense rivalries in the League. The Wings have had a couple of such rivalries in the past. the Leafs (before the 90s) and the Avs (the 90s), before the other teams fell off the top shelf. No hope of reviving things with the Leafs, they won't be good enough unless they move south of the border to places like Oklahoma City or Galveston, Texas (places where they don't differentiate hockey and hokey), but the Avs may be on their way up. I've said it once and I'll say it again: NO Canada-based team will win the Cup in my lifetime. The rivalry with Chicago was always in good spirit.

The Flyers are for real this year. More skilled than the Broad Street Bullies and the Legion of Doom (we swept them in the '97 SCF, being huge underdogs and all), they play together as a team and not around a particular super star like Bobby Clarke or Eric Lindros. Giroux adds the type of skill and finesse they've never had before, and that alone has transformed their typically rock-'em-sock-'em-dump-and-chase hockey into the balanced game we've seen all year this year.

I expected Vancouver to choke. The Rangers are next.

Sohel
April 24, 2012, 12:15 AM
Well, the West is set without any Original 6 team in the semis. So I'm rooting for the Bruins and the Rangers to go through. Thanks largely to Lundquivst, the NuYawkehz may not choke after all. What a goalie!

Sohel
April 26, 2012, 01:27 AM
TOTAL bummer to see the Bruins bow out. Holtby looks to be a very special goalie.

My early predictions:

1. The Cup: Nashville or Philly with LA as the outside possibility
2. Conn Smythe: Rinne or Giroux
3. Hart: Malkin or Quick
4. Selke: Datsyuk or J. Staal
5. Norris: Lidstrom or Weber
6. Vezina: Quick or Lundquivst

Sohel
May 2, 2012, 12:48 AM
What an interesting postseason this is turning out to be! The Kings aren't surprising me a bit but the Devils sure have. Definitely looks to be toss up much like the other Eastern semis.

I'm not sure if Nashville has already run out of steam after outworking us in the first round, the way the Sharks did for a couple of years before them, but Phoenix looked pretty solid at home.

We're expected to make some big moves come July 1, and in light of all the cap room we have, Parise is a realistic target. Not sure either Weber or Suter is. Nashville won't let them go. Holland and Babcock are under pressure and have come under criticism for their favoritism. Bertuzzi, Hudler, Stuart and Emmerton need to be offloaded ASAP. Franzen, once thought of as "lazy during the regular season but a playoff performer", has quickly become "performs during the regular season but lazy during the playoffs". What's next? "Lazy all year around"?

Here's what I'd like to see next year, if Nick calls it quits.

Goal:

-Howard & McDonanld ... Howie tends to nap when not faced with a lot of shots. He needs to work on that. Conklin just sucks.

D:

-Weber/Suter/Other Elite D & Ericsson
-Kronwall (A) & Quincey/Kindl
-White & Smith

F(LW + C+ RW):

-(New Acquisition)/Zetterberg (A) + Datsyuk (C) + Zetterberg (A)/Holmstrom (or New Acquisition if he retires) ... scoring line capable of checking

-Nyquist + Filppula + (New Acquisition) ... scoring line capable of checking

-(New Acquisition) + Parise + Eaves ... checking line capable of scoring regularly

-Abdelkader/Miller + Helm (A) + Cleary/Conner/Miller ... checking line tiring the opposition and capable of scoring the odd goal

I'm sure Franzen, Hudler and Stuart can be traded. They'll free-up even more cap space in the process.

BTW, where are you Beamer?

Beamer
May 3, 2012, 10:49 AM
Dude, Where am I at? I am hiding, thats where I am at. Crushing loss for Pens. I knew they were good and the toughest match up for us, but never thought our defense and goalie would pull that kind of crap. To make matters worse, my wifey's family is from Philly, and they are giving it to me. I have basically deleted some from FB, ignoring calls, and texts...lol..Fault is with Ray Shero for signing those two bums in Paul Martin and Zybanek Michalek last year. We are stuck with their contract. $5m and $4m with NTC. They are so bad that Martin was benched and Michalek relegated to third pairing. The call up kids from WB-S was way better, but by then we were already 0-3 down. Then, there is Fleury. Don't know what to make with this guy. Great one game, shitty for next two. Can't do it. To make matters worse, the M & M contract which ties up $9mil per year, leaves us with no wiggle room. So, someone has to be moved. Staal and Crosby contract are up, Malkin a year after. We will surely part with one. Just sad all around. Defensive faults were just too glaring. We were getting by because we were scoring five-six goals every game down the stretch. But, Philly can match you score for score, and we got exposed. Haven't watched a single game since we bowed out. So, really can't comment on the rest, but clutching, obstruction and grabbing is back in NHL. It has slowed down the game for talented high scoring rosters. So, Pens-Wings-Hawks-Nucks are all out, despite having superior talent. The defensive style is winning big time. Just look at the teams left. I think, some re-adjustment need to be done with talented rosters.

I will drop by from time to time. BTW, we are having our first child in early July. Pray for us. Getting super busy already. Awaiting the birth of the newest Tigers fan !!!

AsifTheManRahman
May 3, 2012, 10:57 AM
Congratulations Beamer bhai! The next Pens and Steelers fan too I presume?

Beamer
May 3, 2012, 11:14 AM
Ya know it !!!

Thanks for the wishes.

Sohel
May 5, 2012, 02:02 AM
Congrats bro, may GOD continue to grace you and Bhabi with His blessings. Now I have no reason to avoid Pittsburgh.

Welcome back to the thread BTW. This just ain't the same without you. I know what you mean about Shero. Holland's been going through quite a bit of criticism also, as I've mentioned earlier. Sure we have a lot of cap room, if Nick retires (I hope he doesn't) we'll have more, but a "money puck" team like ours ought to have even more. More than enough to rebuild. Lazyboy Franzen, Gutless Hudler, Slowmobile Bertuzzi and Idiot Stuart are grossly overpaid for they've been producing of late, and even Zetterberg has been mediocre since scoring 43 goals and getting the Conn Smythe. He has declined from elite status to the player Filppula was supposed to be. Bad prospects like Emmerton have been getting way too many chances. Anyway, we'll see what Holland does come July 1st. He'll lose his job if we don't win the Cup over the next 2 years and the Illich family will have to bring Yzerman back as GM and President, the dream scenario for the Red Wing Nation. Holland needs to sign Weber (unlikely), Suter (likely) and Parise (likely) and get rid of the dead weight. He'll spend a lot on J. Staal should he become available.

This year's playoffs show how "lesser" teams have managed to exploit the complacency of the more skilled, puck-possession type teams. They forecheck and backcheck us into the boards and force us to take weak shots at their strong goalies. Then when they get their chances, they bury those with ease. Skilled guys like Giroux add considerable punch to that strategy as goalies like Fleury and our Howard (although not the same class as Fleury YET) are caught napping. These guys tend to nap when not faced with a lot of quality shots initially. Elliot and Holtby are the same. Rinne, Quick, Thomas and Lundquivst on the other hand, are always focused.

I see a Kings versus Devils/Flyers SCF this year, now that the Preds look to have run out of gas after playing us. Kovalchuk is an amazing player and Marty looks solid in goal, and future Red Wing Parise is simply awesome. Quick, Richards and Carter have made the Kings difficult to play against and even more difficult to beat.

kalpurush
May 5, 2012, 04:09 AM
Fantastic news Beamer bhai. Congrats and all the best for bhabi and the "new hope" and for you as well! :)
Great times awaiting for you ...

Beamer
May 5, 2012, 09:40 AM
Thank you brothers !

Sohel- You are welcome anytime...

You are spot on with your observation. Couldn't agree more how "lesser" teams have played and continue to play this year. Post lock out, every obstruction was called, and teams like Pens emphasized on puck moving skating defenders to get the puck out of zone quickly to join the rush. We focused on those type of D men instead of big space eating defense first defense men. But, when obstruction is not enforced like it was in previous years, those smaller faster D men are a liability instead of strength. Not an excuse for our shocking exit, but, something to ponder as we rebuild if obstruction rules are not enforced.

Wings have tons of cap room. Plus, the lore of Wings doesn't hurt luring UFA's. Webber ( hope he and Z berg gets along after that assault ) and Parise are rumored to be joining Wings. We have no cap room, unless we eat the $9 mil with M & M. Very unlikely. Our defense needs an overhaul. If it was up to me, I will try to trade Martin and Michalek ( but not possible with contract like that ), or just buy them out and admit mistake. Also trade Orpik ( on his way down ). Keep Letang. Sign Suter. Bring up Simon Depres and make him a full time starter. Ditto Brian Strait. Re-sign Matt Niskanen. And, sign a big space eating mean guy like Brian Allen of Carolina.

Jordan Staal will be moved. So sad, but no other option. Will Malkin be moved? Who knows. But, how do move MVP type players who puts up numbers? and, especially when nobody knows whats the thing with Crosby. Is he one hit away from you know what again??? In that case, at least you have a MVP player the stature of Malkin. Crosby will never be moved. He is the franchise here. But, its important for him and us that he lasts the whole year next year. He was rusty and who can blame him when you spend so much time away. So, critical for him to rest and regain his playing form back this summer and we can go from there.

I am rooting for Coyotes. Dave Tippet is a favorite, an ex-Pen, and he has my support.

Wings better not fire Babcock ( heard some rumors ). If they do, Bylsma is goner the same day, and Babcock will be hired here. I assure you that with 100% certainty. He is admired big time here.

Sohel
May 6, 2012, 03:11 AM
Some are on Babcock's case but they're pretty small in number. People are having issues with Holland and some of the underperforming, overpaid players I've mentioned already. Most feel that if those players cannot perform the way Babcock wants them to, they didn't, we should get rid of them and not Babcock. People want nothing short of winning the Cup, and are beginning to find Holland gloating over consecutive 100 point/playoff seasons offensive and demeaning. We're not the Maple Leafs FGS! Even winning the President's Trophy means nothing to us. You're a Steeler fan and know exactly what I'm talking about.

That being said, "local guy" Bylsma is hugely popular amongst the fans as are all Michiganders coaching and playing elsewhere. Tim Thomas, Ryan Miller, Kessler and Legwand probably top that list. Anyway, Wings fans have immense respect for the Pens for beating us at the Joe in game 7 and taking the Cup, and admire Malkin, Fleury, J. Staal and Letang. Crosby has never been popular here but everyone sympathizes with his situation, wants him healthy, and sees his value as perhaps the greatest point machine since Gretzky. I feel the same way and must appreciate his egomaniacal desire and hunger to score. He is the Tendulkar of hockey.

Looks like the Caps may oust the Rangers and face either the Devils or the Flyers in the Eastern finals. The winner of the NJ/PA series will make it to the SCF and will have a great chance to win it all. Giroux made me hate the Flyers less now, something not even favorite players like Forsberg and Brindamour were able to do during their respective stints in Philly. What an AWESOME player!

I'm sure the Kings will take the West this year by doing to the Coyotes what the Preds (and the Sharks before them, TWICE) did to us. My money's on the Cup going to Hollywood this year. With Quick in goal, they're just too tough to beat.

FaHiMa
May 6, 2012, 05:39 AM
Congrats Beamer Bhai :)

NHL thread is back in session ;)

zinatf
May 6, 2012, 05:58 AM
Congratulations Beamer Bhai :)

Sohel
May 7, 2012, 02:48 AM
Well, the Kings have done it as expected and done it in style. They'll thrash Phoenix in the Western finals. Jersey's just a game away from the Eastern finals and I expect to see them in the SCF also. There, they'll fall to LA in 6 games max. Quick and the fast, unrelenting aggression of his teammates cannot be overcome by anyone from the East this year. Simply too good. The speedy, aggressive forechecking and backchecking of the Kings remind me of our 3rd and 4th lines from the 90s and early 2000s. Now we only have Helm and Abdelkader capable of disrupting and tiring the opposition and that explains our early exit over the past 3 years. Holland better do something about it.

Beamer
May 7, 2012, 08:01 AM
I know exactly what it means Sohel. Steelers went 12-4 in 3 of the last 4 seasons, with one SB victory and a loss in SB, and yet, the failures are considered a bust season. Sometimes, the expectations of these heralded teams are too much for players and coaches to live up to. I understand what Wings are going through. Its hard carrying the burden of great franchise names.

Giroux is a great player no doubt, though he plays for the Cryers. I hope Devils put an end to it on Tuesday. That was a dirty dirty hit by him on Zubrus.

What a story the Kings and Quick have become. A few months ago, they couldn't buy a goal, and almost didn't make the playoffs. Look at them now ! Sometimes a team that are in playoff mode a month before the playoffs have a huge advantage over teams that are in comfortably. How many Presidents trophy winners have actually won the whole thing in recent years? Not many.

Beamer
May 7, 2012, 08:03 AM
Congrats Beamer Bhai :)

NHL thread is back in session ;)

Thanks a lot !!

Beamer
May 7, 2012, 08:03 AM
Congratulations Beamer Bhai :)

Thank you brother !!

Sohel
May 7, 2012, 09:07 AM
Bro, Zinat's a woman. Another Shakibrulz moment in BC no doubt!

AsifTheManRahman
May 7, 2012, 09:38 AM
Have been watching a couple of games here and there, but have lost interest in this year's Stanley Cup playoffs for the most part. Will watch regularly from game four of the finals. :P

Beamer
May 7, 2012, 10:18 AM
Bro, Zinat's a woman. Another Shakibrulz moment in BC no doubt!

Ooops! Sorry, sister Zinat. That's what happens when you don't visit BC as often. :lol:

Beamer
May 7, 2012, 10:19 AM
Have been watching a couple of games here and there, but have lost interest in this year's Stanley Cup playoffs for the most part. Will watch regularly from game four of the finals. :P

Same here.

Sohel
May 7, 2012, 10:55 AM
I feel you bros. It kinda sucks when our teams aren't in it. For me seeing the Wings, Bruins, Pens and the Hawks go, in that order, has been a downer, but I've been having a blast watching Quick and the swarming Kings play. Watching some of the Devils has also been fun. Future Red Wing Parise rocks and the supremely skilled Kovalchuk is an absolute pleasure to watch. Too bad Giroux totally ran out of steam and hasn't shown up in the second round yet. That'd have been fun.

Sohel
May 8, 2012, 12:15 AM
Well, Phoenix is through and I expect the same of Jersey tomorrow. Caps-Rangers is still a toss-up IMHO.

cricman
May 8, 2012, 01:32 AM
Being the lone Blueshirts fan here I should be posting more.

Call us fortunate, lucky or other not so kind words but I know this team is legit and i'll take em vs any squad left. We got a couple of bounces go our way to be up 3-2 vs the Caps, especially yesterday. Wouldn't shock me if it went 7 I think we close em out in DC.

Round 1: Alot of folks picked against the Rangers, because Ottawa was one of the handful of teams that gives the Rangers trouble (Pitt and Toronto [Yes the Leafs] would be the other) and the other was because the Rangers are a real young team. We got past them, still don't get credit they say it's 95% Lundqvist. Well Lundqvist is a part of the Rangers folks have to deal with that.

Round 2: Again not many are picking us, some are on the Holtby Bandwagon (very good goalie) and theres the part finally beating the Caps in a best of 7. The series isnt over yet but were one win away.

To an outsider, we don't look very impressive a #1 seed getting pushed to the brink vs the #7 and #8 seeds respectively, but to anybody who's watched this team knows we don't win because of Talent, we get by on guts and outworking the opponents.

Beamer
May 8, 2012, 08:39 AM
Welcome back cricman. I agree. The Rangers defensive structure is brilliant. You rarely see a breakdown and when that happens, Lundqvist is usually there. You don't win the East by accident. Rangers deserve it, and I think they close out Caps next game. Caps won't be able to recover from the crushing loss yesterday.

Strangely, the Leafs give us a ton of trouble too. We had a losing record against them again, including the back to back losses towards the end of the season that prevented the Pens to leapfrog the Rangers for the no.1 spot. We were only one pt behind !! Some teams just have the number of one team. For example : Sabres can't beat us ever. I think every other game Ryan Miller gets pulled against Pens. Its weird.

Anyway...good luck..

Sohel
May 8, 2012, 11:55 PM
Philly's out and as much as I like Giroux, can't say I'm sorry. They've always rubbed me the wrong way, and some of their fans, easily the worst in the league don't help change that at all. The Orange got crushed and I'm looking forward to the Turnpike series in the Eastern finals. I don't think the Caps will make it even if they push it to game 7 which they probably will. Lundquivst gives them the edge Richter did once.

Beamer
May 9, 2012, 10:09 AM
The Devils are doing what they always did. Take a lead and play suffocating D. No way you cracking through the neutral zone after that. Flyers had no answer. Giroux suspension didn't help matters. Oh well, its bye bye for them too. Looks like its gonna be Rangers-Devils ECF. I think Rangers close it out tonight. You don't want a Game 7 at home. History has been brutal to home teams in Game 7.

cricman
May 9, 2012, 09:54 PM
Never Easy ... Saturday Night should be fun if your a neutral

Sohel
May 10, 2012, 12:50 AM
Never Easy ... Saturday Night should be fun if your a neutral

I'm looking forward to it.

Sohel
May 12, 2012, 10:12 PM
Rangers persevere in 7 yet again. I hope they have enough left in the tank for 14 more. As series wins go, timely goal scoring is obviously a factor but great team defense with the ability to withstand sustained pressure has been the key to their success. When the puck does slip through the grid, there's always Lundquivst to stop 95-97% of the shots. Admirable stuff reminiscent of the Bruins last year, but Jersey would be their toughest opponents yet, and if they make it to the SCF, LA would be even tougher to play against. It's getting harder with the potential of an epic season in the making. Call me a snob but I'll always have a soft spot for every Original Six team except those Maple Leafs of course. It's the hockey culture tempered by tradition I suppose.

I've been impressed by Del Zotto. He's a solid young player as aptly indicated by his overall +/- numbers to date. Unheralded guys with good +/- numbers especially in the playoffs are the ones who get you the Cup in the end. Last year's Bruins and this year's Kings are a good example of that. The more such players the merrier, say the "money puck" folks and they're absolutely spot on.

Sohel
May 13, 2012, 08:50 PM
WCF, game 1 ... 2-2 after 2 in Arizona with LA blowing leads twice. What a set up for an intense 3rd period!

Sohel
May 13, 2012, 09:11 PM
Brown scores! 3-2 LA, their 3rd lead in the game. What an outlet pass from Voynov right to Brown's tape. Conn Smythe performances from Captain Brown so far.

Sohel
May 13, 2012, 09:50 PM
KIngs score the ENG! Win 4-2 and now a perfect 6-0 on the road. The combination of great goaltending, relentless forechecking and backchecking, disrupting every pass and shot with their sticks in all 3 zones, and incredible finishing is doing it for them. My money's on them to win the Cup this year.

Sohel
May 14, 2012, 06:36 PM
G1 of ECF in 30 minutes. Jersey has the edge in forwards and special teams but NY in defense, goaltending and coaching.

Sohel
May 14, 2012, 10:30 PM
3-0 Rangers with 2 + 1 ENG in the 3rd. Lundquivst gets his 2nd shutout of the playoffs and I suspect it won't be his last. The Rangers have the most underrated defense with solid 2-way ability in the league.

Sohel
May 15, 2012, 10:23 PM
3-0 LA in the 3rd. Looks like their perfect record on the road is staying perfect. I'm beginning to spell Lundqvist's name correctly for once. What a goalies battle we may have in the making for the SCF.

Sohel
May 15, 2012, 10:32 PM
4-0 LA ... :lol:

Sohel
May 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
1-0 Jersey! Scary looking PP with lots of puck movement and Kovalchuk scores.

Sohel
May 16, 2012, 08:08 PM
Rangers score on the PP and we're tied 1-1 early in the 2nd. Marty made a good save right before the goal.

Sohel
May 16, 2012, 08:33 PM
Another PPG from NYR, 2-1 in the 2nd.

Sohel
May 16, 2012, 08:45 PM
Jersey scores the first even strength goal of the game, tied at 2 towards the end of 2.

Sohel
May 17, 2012, 01:11 AM
Jersey wins game two 3-2. This may go to 7 games also but totally expecting a clean sweep from the Kings in the WCF. California Uber Alles!

Beamer
May 17, 2012, 10:29 AM
I am back from a trip to NYC. Had a nice weekend sandwiched by work week from Thu-Tue. Rained a lot on Sunday as I walked by MSG Sunday afternoon. Highlight of the trip : Got yelled and cursed by a fifty something loser type for rocking my #87 T !! Lol...

Anyway, NYR-NJ should go the distance. I am amazed by LA. They are rocking. They have come together at the right time. Funny how they squeezed in at the last days of regular season. Jonathan Quick is the best goalie right about now, with all due respect to Henrik and Martin. Do or die for Phoenix today. They better get one now or its too late..

Sohel
May 17, 2012, 09:53 PM
Heckling is a part of NYC sports culture but the ones in Philly really cross the line. That being said, your 87 T will provoke that type in certain cities, especially in the east.

I'm having a blast watching the Kings. Brown, Kopitar, Richards and Carter lead a pack of hungry, playful Orcas out on the hunt. Relentless puck pursuit and aggressive forechecking, backchecking and PK will do it for them this year. Quick and the solid D in front of him will make sure that they lift the Cup. They're peaking at the right time while the Rangers and the Devils, especially NY, will be exhausted after the series goes to 7.

Tied at 1-1 after 2.

Sohel
May 17, 2012, 10:01 PM
Kings score and take a 2-1 lead :joy:

Sohel
May 19, 2012, 12:51 PM
Tied scoreless after 1. NYR failed to have a shot on goal for 11 minutes, including during the PP. NJD's playing solid defense but WTF dudes!!! Better find a way to generate some, ANY offense during the 2nd.

Sohel
May 19, 2012, 01:43 PM
Still 0-0 after 2. Great goalies battle with Marty looking like his old, 90s self. NYR did much better offensively but still can't get the forecheck going.

Sohel
May 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
Girardi scores, 1-0 NYR in the 3rd! Marty beaten stickside.

Sohel
May 19, 2012, 02:09 PM
2-0 NYR as Kreider scores! They came out hard and produced quick results early in the 3rd.

Sohel
May 19, 2012, 02:33 PM
3-0 NYR with the ENG! Lundqvist ... :notworthy:

Sohel
May 20, 2012, 08:51 AM
Looking forward to the Russia-Slovakia world championship final in a few hours. Semin-Datsyuk-Ovechkin ... what a line!

Sohel
May 20, 2012, 12:34 PM
Chara scores! 1-0 Slovakia at the start of the 1st.

Sohel
May 20, 2012, 12:50 PM
Malkin scores, 1-1

Sohel
May 20, 2012, 12:53 PM
Sloppy play, lots of unforced turnovers in the neutral zone

Sohel
May 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
2-1 Russia in the 2nd

Sohel
May 20, 2012, 01:40 PM
3-1 Russia, on its way to becoming a slaughter

Sohel
May 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
4-1 and still in the 2nd

Sohel
May 20, 2012, 02:20 PM
5-1. Feeling sorry for the Slovaks now

Sohel
May 20, 2012, 11:23 PM
Smith and Doan bring one back from LA and trail in the WCF 1-3. Russia, 10-0 in the tournament, thrashes Slovakia to win the IIHF World Championship. Malkin was by far the best player of the tournament finishing with 19 points (11 goals). Sweden really missed Lundqvist, Canada's early exit was no surprise to anyone, but the US going down to the Slovaks was. We missed Parise and Brown among others now playing in the CFs.

Beamer
May 21, 2012, 12:47 PM
Can't believe you were following the worlds !! you are a real hockey fan dude...kudos..

Sohel
May 21, 2012, 10:18 PM
The pendulum swings again in the NY-NJ area as the Devils win 4-1. The ECF is tied at 2 and going down to the wire as expected.

Sohel
May 21, 2012, 10:20 PM
Can't believe you were following the worlds !! you are a real hockey fan dude...kudos..

LOL, I also do KHL and SEL when I get the chance.

Beamer
May 22, 2012, 09:31 AM
Its actually fun watching the big ice of intl competition. More skating, more offense, more skill.

Devils-Rangers should go the distance. Its a very evenly poised series. Watching Tortorela blow his lid from game to game is priceless. He is a quirky little guy that Torts.

cricman
May 22, 2012, 12:33 PM
Been outplayed badly this series, it's only 2-2 because of Hank.

Torts needs to separate Gabby and Richards, they just don't mesh and they've played much better without each other all season, or he needs to put Krieder on the 1st line with Gaborik and Richards.

I heard a NY/LA final would increase the cap by 5 million

Sohel
May 22, 2012, 10:50 PM
3-3 after 3 and we're going to OT with the Kings on the PP.

Sohel
May 22, 2012, 11:42 PM
The Kings do it again on the road and advance to the SCF! California Uber Alles baby :fire:

Sohel
May 23, 2012, 02:34 AM
I know quite a few NYR fans who think Tort's negativism (refs are morons and the league is out to get him) and rudeness (if you're all about one sentence and one line answers, then why bother talking to the press?) costs his team several close calls during a game. That being said, they appreciate his honesty and the passionate ability to get underrated performers players perform in a team with an ultra expensive tradition of underperforming superstars (Gretzky, LaFontaine, Jagr, Bure, Lindros, Kovalev, Shanahan etc) who failed to deliver for the Rangers when it really counted.

Those of us who remember the Bolts winning the Cup with him at the helm, have seen those abilities shine already this season before the playoffs. He still has Richards in the playoffs, but it'll be a tough feat to repeat winning the Cup without the aggressive and relentless forechecking from supremely skilled guys like Vinny (especially in the SCF) and St. Louis he doesn't have in NYC. Guys like Gaborik won't do it and he knows it. That's why he's making do with what he has and sometimes it doesn't work the way he wants it to. While Callahan's a very good player, they need more like him, he's no Messier. Messier could lead and motivate by example, spark and his legendary "or-else" attitude. They don't make them like that anymore but captains like Vinny, Doan, Morrow, Brown and Parise come close.

Purely skilled captains (though some have solid 2-way ability as well) like Gretzky, Mario, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Crosby, Toews and Chara have always had key alternate captains freeing them up to lead by doing what they do best with the stick.

Everything being said, Ludqvist is actually good enough to steal the ECF and the Cup. So is Quick BTW and I want that duel.

Beamer
May 23, 2012, 09:12 AM
Kings win ensures that for the first time since '99 when Derian Hatcher of Stars lifted the cup, an American captain will lift the Stanley this year. Kings, Rangers, Devils- all have US born captains.

I am still in disbelief how quickly Kings became so good. I am telling you only about two months ago they were an average team. Confidence is such a booster in playoffs.

Sohel
May 23, 2012, 09:19 AM
USA:Hockey::Bangladesh:Cricket

The Quick factor notwithstanding, they've had the basic ingredients for the last 5 years or so. Richards and Carter added missing pieces of the puzzle, and Brown, Kopitar and Doughty became seriously mature contenders this year to add even more punch. Then there's the timing. Talk about peaking at EXACTLY the right time!

California Uber Alles baby!

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=3&id=178879&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=3&id=178879&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Sohel
May 23, 2012, 10:03 PM
Jersey blows a 3-0 lead but still wins 5-3 to take a 3-2 lead in the series. REALLY tough loss for the Rangers. I'm still hoping for an LA/NY SCF although a series versus the less tired and more motivated Jersey may be more competitive. The Rangers must get the forecheck going from the start to win game 6 in their building. Gotta create good chances in their zone and take smart shots at Marty. NYR's D simply cannot allow Parise any room to skate at speed and Kovalchuk any lane to shoot through. Lundqvist will show up but a relentless effort in front of him must be there also.

Beamer
May 24, 2012, 09:40 AM
I still think this series goes to Game 7. Rangers actually played well. Lundqvist, not so well, though some of the odd bounces were difficult to stop. The third goal was bad. Marty has also been goofing up playing the puck lately, which is a huge surprise, because he is considered one of the best at doing that. But, I must admire this Devils. They are always under the radar in East, yet if you look at the last twenty years, they have had as much success as anyone in terms of wins, playoffs appearances and Stanley Cups. They draft well too. Of course, having a hall of famer in goal doesn't hurt, but they rarely deviate from their approach. Sandwiched between NY and Phi really hurts them in terms of being a financially viable team. Most of their games are not well attended. The arena is in a dump of a neighborhood and nobody likes to go there. Its a shame really. They don't generate enough revenue. Top of that, they will lose Parise this summer, regardless of what happens next.

Sohel
May 25, 2012, 10:08 AM
I hope it goes to game 7 also. The Rangers need to play well from start to finish, and not run out of gas after coming close. Lundqvist will show up today. He's a great goalie, and as such hypercritical of himself and mentally strong (unlike Luongo for example). Naturally goalies like him don't have too many bad games in a row, especially in the playoffs. If his defense plays well in front of him, meaning not allowing Parise space and Kovalchuk good shooting lanes every shift, they'll have a good chance to win. They're more than capable of getting their forecheck going and generating scoring opportunities at Jersey's zone, but it has to be pretty much relentless. Jersey's tough to beat in their own building when Marty's on song, but the Rangers have already done it this series.

Sohel
May 25, 2012, 08:28 PM
All tied at 2 in 2, the Devils just blew a 2-0 lead as Callahan deflects one past Marty's gloveside.

Sohel
May 25, 2012, 09:55 PM
The Devils do it in OT, 3-2.

cricman
May 26, 2012, 12:41 AM
We lost to the Debbies, I mean the Devils

If I take some perspective into this, this season is a major positive. McDonnaugh, Staal, Girardi and MDZ weren't expected to become the players they've become this fast.

I love the blue collar approach of this team but in Hockey you need Skill and the Rangers have a major deficiency in that aspect of the game and Torts needs to embrace the skill players on the team.

Also Torts needs to be careful, he's got some rope to play around with but he can lose it really fast like Rex did this year. I love both Rex and Torts but that stuff doesn't sit well in these parts with some folks unless you bring home the Silverware.

Devils:Giants
Rangers:Jets

Devils and Giants are so much better run as than their counterparts.

Lets go Kings!

Sohel
May 26, 2012, 03:26 AM
Debbie won't do LA!

Beamer
May 26, 2012, 08:48 AM
Devils do it. Obviously I want a West team to win, but they have two ex Philly bums in Carter-Richards, so rooting for them is difficult for me, but I am gonna root for Scuderi. But, Devils come this far, and I have a feeling they won't let it slip. They have a lot of talent that people don't know about. As I said, I really do admire the Devils and how Lou runs that ship. De Boer is proving to be a great coach. He just didn't have the talent in Florida.

Sohel- As great as Lundqvist is, I am reluctant to call him a great big game goalie. At least not yet until he has the silverware. I think he still stands too deep in his crease. No question he has the Vezina this year.

There is one difference between Rex and Tort. Rex promises Superbowl every year in pre season. That is so foolish. I don't think Tort ever said anything like that, though Rangers owner predicted a cup this year. His issue is with reporters and his post game comments. I think both Rex-Torts are good for their respective sports, if you are not a supporter of either team. They provide comedy and the chance to ridicule if and when they fall short, especially Rex..

Sohel
May 26, 2012, 11:43 AM
I'm looking forward to the SCF even though none of my favorite teams are in it. Rooting for LA obviously, but also like Parise, Kovalchuk and Salvador doing it for Jersey. Always had the utmost respect for Marty.

I picked LA early to be my dark horse team to win it all, and I hope they do it in 7.

Beamer, you're absolutely right. Winning the Cup is everything and until you win it, you cannot be considered a big game player. But I do feel that the Rangers are just a couple of strong 2-way forwards and a good defenseman away from contending for the Cup over the next few years, with Lundqvist as the backbone.

Sohel
May 27, 2012, 06:56 AM
This is as evenly matched as it gets. Here's the official Nhl.com MATCHUPS (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=632811&navid=DL|NHL|home) for the SCF. Great read. Here's who I feel has the edge:

1. Goal: LA (Quick)

2. Stay at home D: Jersey (Salvador & Zidlicky)

3. Offensive/transitional D: LA (Doughty)

4. Offensive F with good 2-way ability: Jersey (Kovalchuk, Gionta & Parise)

5. Forechecking/backchecking F with scoring ability: LA (Brown, Richards & Carter)

6. Coach: Jersey (DeBoer in terms of creativity)

7. Experience: Jersey (Marty & Elias)

8. Energy: LA (Everybody's swarming pretty much all the time)

9. Leadership: DEAD EVEN (Parise and Brown)

My conclusions are the same as Nhl.com's:

The Devils will if…: They roll four lines and stay aggressive with the forecheck. The Kings want to play aggressive. They want to forecheck and use their size to win puck battles. The Devils are built the same way, which means they're capable of shoving the Kings' game right back in their faces. If the Devils get stuck in the zone and lose puck battles, this could be a short series.

Kings will win if ...: They receive scoring from unlikely sources, including the power play. Right now, the Kings are being carried by their top-six forwards, but that may not be possible in the Final when they will face the biggest defensive test of the tournament. But if the Kings can get some special-teams scoring and some contributions from third- and fourth-line skaters, goalie Jonathan Quick should be able to make those goals stand up.

Let's go Kings!

Sohel
May 30, 2012, 07:40 PM
4th liner Fraser beats Marty low stickside, 1-0 LA!

Sohel
May 30, 2012, 08:47 PM
Elias scores and we're tied at 1 towards the end of 2.

Sohel
May 30, 2012, 09:47 PM
We're going to OT in G1 of the SCF. Marty made a couple of key saves at 12:40 in the 3rd after the Kings FINALLY generated some offense. Doughty couldn't elevate the puck over Marty.

Sohel
May 30, 2012, 10:16 PM
Kopitar scores on the breakaway and the Kings take game one 2-1 in OT! Great composure and class. The Kings looked tentative and somewhat overawed by the occasion, but still managed to win.

Sohel
May 31, 2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the memories Captain ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Seven-time Norris Trophy winner Lidstrom retires
By Brian Hedger - NHL.com Correspondent

<object width="640" height="360" id="evp" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" /><param name="flashVars" value="id=179874&img=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/www/thumbs/179874_eb.jpg&related=dpid:35&locprogimg=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed name="evp" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" flashVars="id=179874&img=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/www/thumbs/179874_eb.jpg&related=dpid:35&locprogimg=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/"></embed></object>

DETROIT -- It was hard to believe, even with Nicklas Lidstrom speaking the words himself.

The guy the Detroit Red Wings nicknamed "The Perfect Human" – their captain for the past six seasons and a sure lock for Hall of Fame status – is officially hanging up his winged-wheel sweater and retiring after 20 remarkable years in the Motor City.

"Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me," Lidstrom said.

Lidstrom made the announcement Thursday during a press conference at Joe Louis Arena, an event attended by coach Mike Babcock, GM Ken Holland, Lidstrom's family and several current and former teammates from the Red Wings.

"This is one of the most emotional days in Red Wings history," said Detroit owner Mike Ilitch, who called Lidstrom the team's Rock of Gibraltar.

"I'm comfortable with my decision," Lidstrom said, noting his gas tank for playing was not on empty, but not where it needs to be. "I can't cheat myself."

Lidstrom helped the Red Wings win four Stanley Cups and seven times was awarded the Norris Trophy as the NHL’s best defenseman.

Lidstrom, who turned 42 on April 28, played in a whopping 1,564 regular-season games in his NHL career to put him second behind only Gordie Howe on Detroit’s all-time list. He also piled up 1,142 points, fourth most in franchise history, by scoring 264 goals and adding 878 assists. His plus-450 career plus-minus rating ranks No. 8 in League history and nearly equals the paltry 514 minutes he spent in the penalty box.

Lidstrom's career numbers in the Stanley Cup Playoffs are just as impressive.

No other Red Wings player appeared in more postseason games (263), as he never missed the Stanley Cup Playoffs. He also scored 54 goals to go with 129 assists for a total of 183 career playoff points and finished with a sterling plus-61 rating.

Lidstrom also decided 11 postseason games with game-winning goals and became the first European-born player to win the Conn Smythe Trophy (2002) before becoming the first European to captain his team to a Stanley Cup title in 2008.

Lidstrom, who made 12 NHL All-Star Games and was voted a First-Team All-Star 10 times, also holds the NHL record for most games played by a player who spent his entire career with one franchise.

This past season, he also became just the sixth Detroit-based athlete in the four major North American professional sports to play at least 20 years all in the Motor City. Red Wings legends Alex Delvecchio (24) and Steve Yzerman (22), Detroit Tigers stars Al Kaline (21) and Alan Trammell (20) and Detroit Lions kicker Jason Hanson (20) are the others.

Not bad for a guy selected No. 53 in the 1989 NHL Draft by former Red Wings general manager Jimmy Devellano – who spearheaded Detroit’s trend-setting European scouting push in the 1980s.

"I think he's going to go down as one of the all-time best defensemen ever to play," Yzerman told reporters in New York on Wednesday, when news first leaked out that Lidstrom would announce his retirement a day later. "Having played with him and watched him closely from his first game … people know about it now, but we've said it all along: you have to watch him closely to appreciate how good he is, what a great athlete he is, because he makes the position look so easy. He is a special athlete."

LINK (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=633292&navid=DL|NHL|home)

Nocturnal
June 2, 2012, 06:23 PM
Game 2 starts in 40 mins.
LA Kings leading the series 1-0.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 07:33 PM
Doughty scores! 1-0 LA, what a solo effort! Wins the puck in his own zone, pivots around and dekes through the neutral zone and shoots it past Marty.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 07:47 PM
Sustained early desperation from Jersey but Quick continues to be there for LA.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 08:25 PM
Jersey just can't seem to lift the puck and shoot high on Quick. He's pretty much unbeatable along the surface.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 08:31 PM
Finally LA gets a PP halfway through game 2.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 09:06 PM
0-0 after 2 with both goalies looking sharp.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 09:16 PM
Ryan Carter scores, 1-1 Jersey.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 09:24 PM
Jersey's playing LA's game against LA and look threatening. Only Quick stands in the way.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 09:29 PM
A couple of key saves from Marty. Great defensive play from Parise to deny Kopitar a clean shot on Marty close to the crease. Brown has been effectively dealt with so far.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 09:34 PM
LA's not getting 2nd opportunities because Jersey's doing a great job in front of Marty. It'd be tragic if LA steals this one to win their 10 straight on the road.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 09:41 PM
Good pressure from Jersey with LA blocking a couple of shots before Quick denies Parise on the wraparound. An LA goal against the run of play will cause serious damage to the Jersey psyche. Time for Brown to show up and make something happen.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 09:43 PM
Scuderi's playing Kovalchuk perfectly. Now the Kings get a PP. C'mon guys!!!

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 09:45 PM
Doughty hooks Parise and we have a 4 on 4 situation. LA's PP sucks bigtime.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 09:50 PM
Brown nearly gifted the GWG to Kovalchuk :facepalm:

Tied at 1 after regulation and we're going to OT again. Jersey has done the job containing Kopitar, Brown, Carter and Richards. Easily the better team in this game.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 10:12 PM
LA has come out aggressive in the OT. Creating chances. Maybe King or Stoll with score soon.

Sohel
June 2, 2012, 10:27 PM
Jeff Carter scores and LA wins 2-1 in OT. 10 straight road wins and going back to LA with a 2-0 series lead. This is a crushing loss for Jersey. It would be so tough to regroup and come back from this.

Sohel
June 3, 2012, 02:05 AM
I don't think Jersey has what it takes to comeback after this, even if they manage to win 1 in LA.

<object width="640" height="360" id="evp" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" /><param name="flashVars" value="gid=2011030412&img=http://www.nhl.com/vc-thumbnails/20112012/03/0412/640x360/3_412_lak_njd_1112_h_continuous_1600K_16x9_1.jpg&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed name="evp" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" flashVars="gid=2011030412&img=http://www.nhl.com/vc-thumbnails/20112012/03/0412/640x360/3_412_lak_njd_1112_h_continuous_1600K_16x9_1.jpg&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/"></embed></object>

Kings beat Devils 2-1 in OT, lead Final 2-0
Sunday, 06.03.2012 / 1:28 AM
Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer

NEWARK, N.J. -- While sitting in the visitor's dressing room during the intermission before overtime Saturday night, Kings forward Jarret Stoll couldn't help but notice his team's confidence and belief.

Stoll has seen both grow throughout the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs, but with Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final on the line, he needed to see it again -- and he did.

"We knew we had the goal in here somewhere," Stoll said after the Kings' 2-1 win. "That's all we were talking about in the intermission, how someone had it."

That someone was Jeff Carter, because like the rest of his teammates he never stopped believing -- and, more important, never stopped moving his feet before scoring at 13:42 of the extra session.

Los Angeles is heading home with a 2-0 lead in the series and a chance to win the Stanley Cup at Staples Center. The Kings are the first team in history to go 10-0 on the road in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

LINK (http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2011030412)

Sohel
June 5, 2012, 02:51 AM
So LA wins 4-0 in California and take the insurmountable 3-0 lead in the SCF. Jersey can only hope to delay the inevitable at this point, but I don't think the Kings would be flying back east after Wednesday.

The Conn Smythe is a toss up between Quick and Kopitar with my vote going to Quick. Brown, Doughty and Williams have also been an absolute pleasure to watch.

Kings rout Devils 4-0, lead Final 3-0
Tuesday, 06.05.2012 / 1:06 AM
Corey Masisak - NHL.com Staff Writer

<object width="640" height="360" id="evp" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" /><param name="flashVars" value="gid=2011030413&img=http://www.nhl.com/vc-thumbnails/20112012/03/0413/640x360/3_413_njd_lak_1112_h_continuous_1600K_16x9_1.jpg&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed name="evp" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" flashVars="gid=2011030413&img=http://www.nhl.com/vc-thumbnails/20112012/03/0413/640x360/3_413_njd_lak_1112_h_continuous_1600K_16x9_1.jpg&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/"></embed></object>

LOS ANGELES -- At one point, after another incredible save by Jonathan Quick, Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown skated by his goaltender, shook his head and unsuccessfully tried to hold back a mischievous smile.

Quick had just robbed Travis Zajac on a point-blank chance, but it has been that kind of postseason for the Kings. Whenever it seems like it can't get any better for a team that needed 81 games to qualify for the postseason, it does -- and is now one victory away from capping quite possibly the most remarkable run to a championship in NHL history.

Buoyed at first by strong goaltending from Quick and a dominant group of penalty-killers in front of him, the Kings held off an early surge by the New Jersey Devils before blitzing them with four unanswered goals in a 4-0 victory in Game 3 of the 2012 Stanley Cup Final.

"I don't know what 45 years of pent-up energy sounds like, but if we play our game [Wednesday], maybe we will find out," Brown said. "I'm sure I'll think about it tomorrow and tonight, but when you get to the rink ... it is kind of hard to explain the emotions, but you've got to come focused and ready to go. You don't really think too much about it. I think there will be added pressure because we are at home and the possibility of winning it at home is pretty enticing."

The Kings now lead the series 3-0, just as they did in each of the first three rounds -- the first time that's ever happened in the 25 years since the NHL went to a best-of-seven format throughout the playoffs. Los Angeles will have its first of four tries to claim the Cup for the first time in franchise history here at Staples Center on Wednesday night(8 p.m. ET; NBCSN, CBC, RDS).

READ MORE (http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2011030413)

Sohel
June 6, 2012, 08:00 AM
<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=35&id=179607&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=35&id=179607&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Looking forward to Quick getting his in few hours :applause:

Sohel
June 6, 2012, 08:03 PM
0-0 after 1. Each team got 2 PPs with goalies tracking the puck well.

Sohel
June 6, 2012, 09:04 PM
Still 0-0 after 2.

Sohel
June 6, 2012, 09:20 PM
LA's 4th line continues to create chances. Jersey still has no answer for these guys.

Sohel
June 6, 2012, 09:28 PM
Elias scores on the rebound off Salvador's shot, 1-0 Jersey!

Sohel
June 6, 2012, 09:30 PM
Doughty scores on the PP, 1-1! Jersey's lead lasts more a minute.

Sohel
June 6, 2012, 09:44 PM
Henrique beats Quick shortside with less than 5 left in the 3rd, 2-1 Jersey!

Sohel
June 6, 2012, 09:48 PM
Mitchell takes a dumb penalty for LA with 2:50 left, idiot!

Sohel
June 6, 2012, 09:52 PM
Kovalchuk scores the ENG, 3-1 Jersey and we'll have a game 5 Saturday night.

Sohel
June 9, 2012, 10:41 PM
Jersey ends LA's road winning streak and force game 6 in California with a 2-1 victory. Marty was great tonight as was the Devil's D in front of him with their shot blocking.

Sohel
June 10, 2012, 02:34 AM
Devils stay alive again with 2-1 victory
Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer

<object width="640" height="360" id="evp" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" /><param name="flashVars" value="gid=2011030415&img=http://www.nhl.com/vc-thumbnails/20112012/03/0415/640x360/3_415_lak_njd_1112_h_continuous_1600K_16x9_1.jpg&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed name="evp" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" flashVars="gid=2011030415&img=http://www.nhl.com/vc-thumbnails/20112012/03/0415/640x360/3_415_lak_njd_1112_h_continuous_1600K_16x9_1.jpg&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/"></embed></object>

NEWARK, N.J. -- Belief continues to be the New Jersey Devils' biggest ally. They'll take it across the country with them for what just a few days ago seemed like an impossible opportunity in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final.

For the second time in as many games, the Devils fought off elimination and made sure the Stanley Cup stayed in its carrying case. They handed the Los Angeles Kings their first road loss of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in Game 5 Saturday at Prudential Center, 2-1, while also becoming the first team since 1945 to force a Game 6 in the Stanley Cup Final after losing the first three.

Game 6 is Monday at Staples Center (8 p.m. ET, NBC, CBC, RDS). The Devils are now 10-1 in Games 4 through 7 this postseason.

"We're still alive, so we have a chance," Devils goalie Martin Brodeur said after making 25 saves, another impressive effort for the 40-year-old three-time Cup champion. "It's a difficult thing to get yourself ready for games like that. Now it's been two in a row. It drains you a lot. It takes a lot out of you. But, it's worth it."

The Devils made it worthwhile on the backs of Brodeur, captain Zach Parise, and unlikely offensive hero Bryce Salvador, who scored his fourth goal of the playoffs after scoring zero in 82 regular-season games.

READ MORE (http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2011030415)

But can the Devils come back from a 0-3 deficit and lift their 4th Stanley Cup? If they continue to believe in themselves as a unit the way Marty and Parise believe in themselves, such an epic comeback is very much possible for them. Responding to such pressure and giving 110% effort to battle seemingly insurmountable odds and prevail in the end, is what separates winners from everyone else. If the Devils pull this off, they'll be rightly compared to the greatest teams in NHL history.

LA doesn't wanna fly back to the East coast to face them in game 7. Naturally a lot of pressure's on them to lift the Cup at home.

Sohel
June 11, 2012, 10:56 PM
The Kings leave no doubt and win game 6 with a 6-1 thrashing of the Devils. There's nothing better than lifting the LONG awaited Cup at home in front of your own fans! I remember "my" first Cup win at the Joe in 1997 after our "upset" 4-0 sweep of Philly led by Lindros and his so called "Legion of Doom".

A great bunch of overachievers who peaked at the right time, the Kings were my dark horse pick and I'm thrilled to see them win. What a dream power play from a team not known for it! Quick won the Conn Smythe as expected but Brown, Kopitar and Doughty could've have won it also. California Uber Alles baby :fire:

F6_Turbo
June 11, 2012, 11:13 PM
Stopped watching it after the Caps got beat by the Rangers. :( A man only take so much playoff disappointment.

Sohel
June 12, 2012, 06:53 AM
Kings rout Devils 6-1 to win first Cup
Corey Masisak - NHL.com Staff Writer

<object width="640" height="360" id="evp" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" /><param name="flashVars" value="gid=2011030416&img=http://www.nhl.com/vc-thumbnails/20112012/03/0416/640x360/3_416_njd_lak_1112_h_continuous_1600K_16x9_1.jpg&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed name="evp" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" flashVars="gid=2011030416&img=http://www.nhl.com/vc-thumbnails/20112012/03/0416/640x360/3_416_njd_lak_1112_h_continuous_1600K_16x9_1.jpg&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/"></embed></object>

LOS ANGELES -- This is a city of glitz and glamor, so the pregame video just before the Los Angeles Kings have taken the ice at Staples Center during the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs appropriately is accompanied by multicolored spotlights, a laser show and images projected onto the playing surface.

The heart of the video, though, goes to the soul of this sport. There are pictures of the Kings in their youth, boys wearing over-sized hockey equipment who dreamed of reaching the pinnacle of the sport they loved.

The boys in those faded photos arrived there Monday night.

Los Angeles, on the strength of three power-play goals in the first period, finished off the New Jersey Devils with a 6-1 victory in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final, earning the franchise's first championship in its 45-year history.

"They've been waiting longer than I have, this city," captain Dustin Brown said. "You dream of winning the Cup, and you know what, I'm glad I was the first King to ever lift it."

READ MORE (http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2011030416&navid=sb:recap)

Quick, Brown, Kopitar and Doughty will win at least a couple more with help from seasoned vets like Richards and Carter. The West, always strong, just got a lot stronger ... :applause:
<object width="640" height="360" id="evp" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" /><param name="flashVars" value="id=181361&img=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/www/thumbs/181361_eb.jpg&related=dpid:35&locprogimg=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&prs=http://ad.doubleclick.net/pfadx/inline.tv/mainvideo;pos=videoplay;sz=480x270;tile=1" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed name="evp" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" flashVars="id=181361&img=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/www/thumbs/181361_eb.jpg&related=dpid:35&locprogimg=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&prs=http://ad.doubleclick.net/pfadx/inline.tv/mainvideo;pos=videoplay;sz=480x270;tile=1"></embed></object>

Beamer
June 12, 2012, 09:15 AM
Congrats to LA Kings for winning their first Stanley. Terrific run. One of the best in memory. Came out of nowhere. Very happy for Scuderi. Classy guy. Also, lucky Luc gets his cup with the Kings. Another class individual. He played one season with Pens back in 90's and he left a huge mark. Not happy for ex Cryers bum duo of Richards and Carter, but what can you do? There are always a rotten fruit or two in that beautiful summer mango jhuri !!

Anyway, the season comes to an end. Next up is the Awards ( pretty predictable ) and the draft, which is being held here, and then free agency starts July 1. Also, the potential of a lock out looms large. Donald Fehr is a tough nut to break and we may see a repeat of 2003. Lets hope not.

Devils overachieved, but they are a terrific franchise. I have a ton of respect for how they operate with a small wallet. Brodeur is no doubt the greatest I have ever seen, but he is slipping, but who can blame a 40 yr old for that? Parise was not good in SCF. Terrific player though. Gonna get a lot of money in free agency. Sohel's Red Wings are poised to strike this summer. They have zillions in cap space. Scary ! Complete opposite for us. We have limited space and all three Centers are ready to become available in one-two years. Jordan Staal will be traded, not because we don't love him, but we just can't afford him. Life goes on....

Zeeshan
June 15, 2012, 01:46 AM
ki dadara, dekhiye to dilum ekkebare...tropy tofee niye ei matro pared sheshe ghore firlum boiki.... ta prothombarer moton 8th seeded team shobaike harano ta' r chattyikhani kotha noy

Sohel
June 15, 2012, 11:41 AM
The Red Wings traded the negotiating rights for Brad Stuart to San Jose for a conditional pick in 2014 and veteran forward Andrew Murray

GREAT riddance Alhamdulillah :fire:

Sohel
June 15, 2012, 11:47 AM
ki dadara, dekhiye to dilum ekkebare...tropy tofee niye ei matro pared sheshe ghore firlum boiki.... ta prothombarer moton 8th seeded team shobaike harano ta' r chattyikhani kotha noy

Happy for all you Angelinos! California Uber Alles baby!

<object width="640" height="360" id="evp" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" /><param name="flashVars" value="id=181546&img=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/www/thumbs/181546_eb.jpg&related=dpid:35&locprogimg=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed name="evp" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" flashVars="id=181546&img=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/www/thumbs/181546_eb.jpg&related=dpid:35&locprogimg=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/"></embed></object>

Sohel
June 21, 2012, 03:44 AM
One of my favorite players even though he alongside Marc Andre had everything to do with the Cup being taken away from us in our own building. I'm very happy to see him clean up at the 2012 Awards. He is a god amongst men and I oh how wish he was ours.

Malkin wins Hart, Lindsay at 2012 NHL Awards
By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer

LAS VEGAS -- Just a few years ago, Evgeni Malkin would have shuddered at the thought of going on stage to accept something as big as the Hart Trophy, an honor that requires the recipient to give a speech in front of a large live audience in front of him and an even larger audience watching at home.

Malkin didn't trust his English. He wasn't at all confident in presenting himself as anything but a Russian hockey player who spoke only Russian.
Wednesday night at Encore Theater in the Wynn Las Vegas, Malkin stepped out of his old shoes and into his new ones. Not only is he now a Hart Trophy winner for the first time in his career, but he accepted the trophy at the 2012 NHL Awards show with a confident speech given in his still somewhat limited, yet vastly improved English.

He showed poise. He followed all the rules by thanking those who mean the most to him, including former teammate and landlord Sergei Gonchar. Then, after leaving the theater, Malkin stood on the podium, his hardware -- including the Ted Lindsay Award and the Art Ross Trophy situated in front of him -- and confidently answered questions from the media for nearly 10 minutes.

He's become a different guy off the ice just as he once again became a dominant player on the ice during the 2011-12 NHL season.

READ MORE (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=635277)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LVoLMM3Pfak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beamer
June 21, 2012, 08:16 AM
Big night for Geno ! He wins the 14th Art Ross for Pens as a team, and the 6th Hart for Pens as a team. Mario-Jagr-Sidney-Geno are all previous winners in those two categories. Geno has won the Calder, Art Ross, Conn Smythe and Hart so far..More to come inshallah..Has hasn't won the Rocket Richards and its difficult to win that with Stamkos around !!

Draft here on Friday. Looks like Nail " I am Muslim, I am not Russian" Yakupov will be the first overall pick !! Dynamic player. Edmonton has the no.1 pick in four years in a row.

Lots of trades upcoming and free agency starts July 1. Lots of players will change teams, including some big names.

Sohel
June 24, 2012, 07:06 AM
Well, Jordan's off to the Canes to join brother Eric. What a formidable pair they'd make. Too bad we didn't have a Staal ourselves to get him to play here. Lots of behind the scenes rumor in Detroit about Suter and Parise but I suspect we'll know nothing until July.

Brendan Smith is expected to be moved up to the top 6 in our blueline now that Nick has called it quits. A Lidstrom clone, he'll do well with Junior, Ericsson, White and Kindl. Suter would be a great addition to that line. Stuart is gone, thank GOD and Quincey, maybe good enough for Colorado and a host of other teams, needs work before he becomes a fixture in Detroit.

Draft-wise, very happy about drafting 18YO Jake Paterson being touted as the next Jonathan Quick. A lifelong Red Wings fan familiar to us in the RWMB, it was deeply moving to see him wear the sweater.

Sohel
June 25, 2012, 12:18 AM
We just signed Helm as expected and with Andreas in the plans, expect to see him to center the third line. Great to have two Draper 2.0s in the team in terms of speed, spark and exceptional PK. Very excited about the new look Red Wings next season.

Athanasiou loves to fly
Wings' prospect could be best skater in 2012 draft class

<object width="640" height="360" id="evp" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" /><param name="flashVars" value="id=154418&img=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/www/thumbs/154418_eb.jpg&related=dpid:35&locprogimg=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed name="evp" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" flashVars="id=154418&img=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/www/thumbs/154418_eb.jpg&related=dpid:35&locprogimg=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/"></embed></object>

When all is said and done, forward Andreas Athanasiou could turn out to be one of the best skaters of the 2012 NHL Draft.

His acceleration and speed through the neutral zone usually has opposing players on their heels, if not already out of position. This shouldn't come as too much of a surprise since the 6-foot, 179-pound left wing takes great pride in exhibiting that quickness each time he steps on the ice for the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League.

"He's really fast, he's quick and he's always making plays out there," Adam Pelech of the OHL's Erie Otters told NHL.com. "He's like [Nail] Yakupov … you have to stay between him and the net."

Athanasiou, No. 40 on NHL Central Scouting's final ranking of North American skaters eligible for the June draft, had 22 goals, 15 assists and a plus-22 rating in 63 games this season, his second in the OHL. In nine playoff games, he has a goal, four points and plus-6 rating.

"Andreas is a great skater, has an excellent first step and gets to top speed in just a couple of steps," NHL Central Scouting's Chris Edwards told NHL.com. "Andreas has a great wrist shot and excellent release … to complement some very good hands."

One aspect of Athanasiou's game that is a certain talking point among scouts is his ability as a penalty killer.

"Penalty killing is definitely one of my strengths, because of my quickness," he said. "I can close up the passing lanes for the other team and I can get in and out of the open areas, so I guess I can close in on that one man and make up for it with my quickness.

"I feel I can create a little offensively with the puck when I gain my speed and drive down ice, and can kill a lot of time."

READ MORE (http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635979&navid=DL|DET|home)

Sohel
June 25, 2012, 01:13 AM
Maybe we're looking at:

G- Howard & McDonald

D- Kronwall (A)-Kindl; Suter-Ericsson; White-Smith

C- Datsyuk (C), Parise (A), Helm & Nyquist

W- Zetterberg (A), Filppula, Franzen, Holmstrom/Cleary, Abdelkader, Miller, Eaves & Athanasiou

Solid defensively but we're obviously weak offensively around the wings with Zetterberg and Franzen in decline, Holmstrom and Cleary getting too old and Miller being a quintessential 4th liner. Abdelkader and Eaves need to step it up next season and score 20+ goals each.

I have no faith in Quincey and Hudler. Holland better make some great moves over the next 5 days and not stay content with signing Suter and Parise.

Leafs PWN
June 25, 2012, 01:45 AM
Pittsburh got a great return for JS. Brandon Sutter's defensive game is very good - Pens won't miss much in that department.

Offensively, he's also above average for a #3 C with 15-20 G, 30-45 pts capacity.

Two great D prospects should help the Pens out sometime down the line - I expect at least one of them to be a good top 4 d.

Really happy with the Leafs draft. Rielly is a freaking beast, and possibly the best defenceman in the draft. Murray has lower upside/raw talent, but is more NHL ready. But, he was a perfect fit for CBJ. After so many failed top 10 picks, CBJ is the team that has the most to gain from a safe pick.

Happy to get Finn at 35 as well. I thought for sure he'd go between 20-30. Defense is looking sick for the future. Rielly, Finn, Percy, Blacker, Holzer - expecting 2 to be quality top 4.

I like the addition of JVR. We had way too many D, and not enough good forwards. If JVR stays healthy, I fully expect 20-25 G, and around 50 pts if he plays with Grabo. More if he can go back to playing center - he'll be with Kessel and Loops then.

Beamer
June 25, 2012, 10:30 AM
I was very sad to see Jordan go, but it had to be done. He was a great player here and a great teammate. Never complained about his role, which was essentially the third line center behind two Hart winners. He wanted more PP time, more playing time and above all the, chance to play with Eric. Can't fault him on that. Once he declined to do the 10 year extension, the writing was on the wall. It was handled with class by both Shero and Rutherford. Mind you Jordan was not a UFA. He had one year left. We could have done nothing all year and maybe trade him at the deadline with better returns, or just play it out the whole season.But, that is never good. You get distraction and people around the league take notice on how you get about business treating people .Also, Canes could have sat doing nothing knowing he would sign there next year. So, in the end, Canes get a stud to play with Eric. And, we get a very good third line center in Sutter who will do a lot of things Jordan did at that role, at a much cheaper price.Also, Duomolin is NHL ready and with no.8 pick, we select D. Pouliot- a puck moving D man. So, great return, under the circumstances. Hockey trade at finest. They get what they want and we get great return. Apparently, Rangers offered Gaborik for Jordan !! Not sure about it, but that's what the rumor has.

We have unloaded underachiver Michalek. Only if we can unload Martin now. Another high priced underachiever. All of a sudden a cap burdened Pens have $15 mil to play with ( minus Martin contract )and if he is moved, we will have $20 mil. Shero is not gonna stand pat this year. We will be going for Parise or Suter. It remains to be seen if that happens.

Crosby will sign an extension July 1. I am hearing 10 year - $90 mil. So, yet another discount by him. Under the current CBA, no single player can make more than 20% of the total salary cap, which comes down to about $14 mil per year- that is the max. Brad Richards made $12 mil this year !! So, Crosby is already taking a discount, and he will take another one for the team. We need the great winger to play with him long term. I am sick of him playing with Dupuis and Sullivan. Parise or Bobby Ryan would do...

We are stocked with great defensive prospects, and I expect to use some in trades. This is gonna be a great July 1.

Beamer
June 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
For the first time in a long time, and certainly under Shero, we have bucked the trend in the draft and drafted a boat load of Scandinavian players. That is quite a change of direction, I must say. C- Oskar Sundqvist from Sweden. C- Theo Bluger from Latvia . D- Ollie Matta from Finland.. And, a few more in the later rounds..

Leafs PWN
June 25, 2012, 02:02 PM
Beamer, if you dont mind me asking, where did you hear the Gaborik rumor from?

I generally keep up with the NHL rumors from credible sources (B Mac/Dreger etc.) but I didn't hear that one.

Definitely an interesting offer, but your return addresses more issues than that would have. With the plethora of high end defensive prospects, the Pens should be able to move some later for a quality winger.

Pens defensive prospect quality is right up there with Colorado/Phx/Tor after this draft. Probably better than all 3.

Luongo and Nash saga needs to end. It's been going on FOREVER.

Latest rumor was Howson turning down Pavelski, Clowe, Demers, 1st, 2nd from the Sharks. He also reportedly turned down Dubinky, Erixon, Miller, Thomas, 1st, 2nd at the deadline. Howson :facepalm:

Also, Portzline, who is reliable, reported that the Isles offered all of their picks in the draft for pick #2 from Columbus :lol:

Beamer
June 26, 2012, 08:03 AM
It was all over the local radio and among twitter feed of local journos. Not sure how credible it is, but it was out there. Actually, they said Shero was able to leverage Rangers offer to get more out of Canes, particularly, the no.8 pick. Gaborik and Staal was going to be a straight swap. I doubt it. Pens rarely do business with three teams ( actually will not ) - Caps, Rangers and Flyers.

None of Bob Mac or Darren D and their likes reported it. Maybe, they couldn't verify it. But, one beat writer here is adamant that Sather did offer Gaborik. Who knows..

You are indeed right. I do expect Pens to move some defensive assets in the future. There are apparently 17 young prospects ( some very high end ) in system. Cupboard is bare with forwards though.

Howson is incompetent. He will never get more than what Sharks offered. He needs to take it. And, Yes, I am aware of Portzline ( he is very good ) report about Isles offering everything for no.2. I think Howson should have taken it. Howson and Garth Snow shouldn't be in room without adult supervision.

You guys got a great forward in JVR, when healthy. I am sure BB will wheel and deal more. I thought Leafs had a very fast talented group. JVR will add to that. A no. 1 center is a priority IMO. Pens have such a difficult time against leafs. You have our number.

Beamer
June 26, 2012, 01:23 PM
Elliot Friedman of HNIC wrote a column in CBC today titled "30 thoughts" ( can't seem to find the link now ) where he mentions with authority that Rangers and Leafs were on it regarding Staal. He doesn't mention Gaborik, but I think from what I heard, it was indeed him. Tortorela is not thrilled with Gaborik for some reason.

Sohel
June 27, 2012, 12:28 AM
Here's a great read from .com:

Twelve big questions heading into free agency
By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer

<object width="640" height="360" id="evp" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" /><param name="flashVars" value="id=181810&img=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/www/thumbs/181810_eb.jpg&related=dpid:35&locprogimg=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed name="evp" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" flashVars="id=181810&img=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/www/thumbs/181810_eb.jpg&related=dpid:35&locprogimg=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/"></embed></object>

The NHL Draft is done, but the business of hockey is just getting started. General managers across the League are talking with agents and each other this week as trade talks heat up and the free agency period nears.

The market opens Sunday at noon ET. The big names are well-known. Zach Parise and Ryan Suter are the hottest of the hot commodities who appear primed to hit the market. There are others as well, including Alexander Semin and up-and-coming Justin Schultz, who has never played a game in the NHL but is being courted like a veteran with Stanley Cup championship rings.

Beyond free agency, the NHL could see a couple of mountains move this summer: Rick Nash and Roberto Luongo. The Capitals and Oilers still need new head coaches.

The next couple of weeks could be extraordinary as GMs look to reshape their rosters. There are no definitive answers yet, but there are plenty of lingering questions how this will play out and what the ramifications of each move will be. Here are 12 biggies, because, well it's 2012 and the number 12 makes sense:

1. Which team will win the Zach Parise sweepstakes, and how much will it cost?

If he remains unsigned come noon ET Sunday, Parise will become one of the best players in recent memory to be an unrestricted free agent. He's 27 years old, the captain of a Stanley Cup Final runner-up, a proven goal scorer, and one of the hardest working players in the League. He has scored at least 30 goals in five of his six full seasons, including a career-high 45 in 2008-09.

Parise has stated his desire to return to New Jersey, and Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello obviously wants him back. But it's about money and term, and the question is, can the Devils do enough to entice him to sign before he tests his value on the open market? Parise could be in line for one of those long-term mega-deals and Pittsburgh, Detroit, Minnesota and the Rangers appear prepared to make convincing offers.

2. Which team will win the Ryan Suter sweepstakes, and how much will it cost?

Similar to Parise, Suter will be the best defensemen to hit the open market on Sunday. He is not ruling out a return to Nashville, but he has told Predators general manager David Poile that he wants to test the market. He should like what he finds because, like Parise, Suter's very close friend, teams will be lining up to get this 27-year-old mistake-free blueliner under contract for a long time.

The Red Wings seem like an obvious starting point for Suter considering they need a defenseman after the retirement of Nicklas Lidstrom. Suter might have to decide if he wants to be the guy that follows the guy. Poile is confident he will be able to retain Suter, who has said he likes Nashville a lot, but he also has to decide if he wants to continue to play in Nashville captain Shea Weber's shadow or jump out and be a No. 1 guy.

READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=636115)

BTW congrats to our Shanny and once nemesis Joe Sakic on their HOF nomination. Pavel was a great player, as was Oates, but I'm not sure if they're HOF material. Gotta win the Cup dudes.

Beamer
June 27, 2012, 09:04 AM
Sohel

Shanny missed out. Instead its Toronto fav Mats Sundin who got in. Great player but little to nothing playoff success, as opposed to three rings for Shanny. Just goes to show how much pull Toronto based writers have when it comes to polling. I think Bure is legit. He was a dynamic goal scorer and HOF should be about excellence/excitement/game changing abilities one had over his career. Eventually, Shanny will get in. His numbers are great and he is a winner.

I think Suter will end up in Detroit. Parise ? NJ-Det-Minn- Pens..from those four teams. One player I do not want is Nash. He is good, but makes too much, and asking price is just too high.

Leafs PWN
June 27, 2012, 09:58 AM
Sohel

Shanny missed out. Instead its Toronto fav Mats Sundin who got in. Great player but little to nothing playoff success, as opposed to three rings for Shanny. Just goes to show how much pull Toronto based writers have when it comes to polling. I think Bure is legit. He was a dynamic goal scorer and HOF should be about excellence/excitement/game changing abilities one had over his career. Eventually, Shanny will get in. His numbers are great and he is a winner.

Sundin and Shanahan had about the same number of points, except Sundin played 200 less games, and on a much less talented team.

Playoff success can't be blamed only on Sundin. The team surrounding him was crap, and every single year he was in Toronto, except for the Mogilny years, Sundin was the lone ranger on his line. For a good part of his career here, Jonas freakin Hoglund, and Nik Antropov were his linemates. Can't blame the failure of a team on him.

As for his personal performance goes, his playoff numbers destroy Shanahan's.

Player GP G A PTS PPG

Sundin 91 38 44 82 0.901
Shanny 184 60 74 134 0.73

Shanahan won his cups on a stacked Detroit team that had the likes of Yzerman, Lidstrom, Federov. That's 3 generational talent type players along with him.

Put Sundin on a similar team, and then your argument of 3 v 0 cups has base.

Also, this is the hockey hall of fame - not NHL HOF. International success carries a good amount of weight as well. Sundin's international career is one of the greatest of all time, while Shanahan's one is a good one.

Stats:

Player GP G A PTS PPG
Sundin 71 31 46 77 1.08
Shanny 41 14 9 23 0.56

Achievements:

Sundin
Olympic Gold
WC Gold x 3
Team Sweden Captain during his tenture

Shanahan
Olympic Gold
WC Gold x 1

Statistically, Sundin destroys Shanahan in this category - it isn't even close really. What's interesting as well, is that in these tournaments, Canada and Sweden had about the same level of talent and the achievements of both players are on par.

Sundin is also widely conisdered as one of the greatest captains in hockey history - and undoubtedly the greatest captain in Leafs history. That in itself, carries a huge amount of weight. Hockey isn't just about numbers and cups - it's also about your intangible contributions.

When all things are considered, it's not hard to see why Sundin made it over Shanny.

Happy to see Oates and Bure finally get in. They were due for a while now.

Beamer
June 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
Great post. I wasn't aware of the numbers. Sundin belongs for sure. Shanny does too. Eventually, Shanny will get in. Not getting in the first year of eligibility matters little in the end.

Sohel
June 27, 2012, 10:48 PM
Shanny's role in the '97 and the '98 Cup repeat was pivotal for us. His physical presence along the boards coupled with that lightening quick release of one of the heaviest snap shots in history was the combination that made us into a great team that can actually win the Cup. We have yet to fill the void left by his departure whereas Datsyuk and Zetterberg, though Hank being in serious decline ever since winning the Conn Smythe, have done well to step into Yzerman and Fedorov's role in the way we play hockey in Detroit. We had great hopes that H:facepalm:ssa would fill that void but that simply didn't happen in the playoffs with us the year before he finally won the Cup with Chicago. Shanny will get into the HOF eventually.

Mats Sundin definitely belongs there. His loyalty to the Leafs of all teams is also admirable, because a great player like that would've won the Cup had he been with a number of other teams south of the border. He and Forsberg were simply amazing to watch. Great balance of power, finesse and vision. It was very tough to dislodge the puck from either of these guys in full flow and every time each had the puck, you honestly felt something was going to happen. Forsberg in particular was one of the best 2-way forwards I've seen in the 90s, and I'll put him right up there with Yzerman and Fedorov. Other great 2-way guys of the era -- namely Peca, Lehtinen, Brindamour, Holik and Draper -- didn't pose the severe offensive threat these 3 did.

Pavel Bure was a great player for sure as was Alex Mogilny. Speaking of international hockey, I still remember what the Bure-Fedorov-Mogilny line did for the USSR and to the rest of the world before Sergei decided to defect. I guess from the standpoint of international hockey alone, all 3 deserve an eventual place in the HOF.

Suter's agent is having issues with "being the number 1" guy in Detroit! WTF does that mean anyway? Our homegrown Niklas Kronwall has been groomed well to be that guy, and after emerging as an elite NHL defenseman, he's the number 1 guy in the eyes of our fans. We also have very high hopes for Ericsson and Smith.

Beamer
June 28, 2012, 09:01 AM
Its shocking the new contract Dennis Wideman got with Flames !! He will be making over $5 mil per year. Good player, but way overpaid now for a third pairing guy for Caps in playoffs. This will drive the price up of all UFA D men. Pool is small to begin with. Suter will demand in excess of $7 mil. I have no doubt about that. I think that makes him out of our pay range, considering Letang is only making $3.75 mil, and surely Letang is a much much better player than Wideman. I think Matt Carle and Harrison are much better player than Wideman. I still see Suter going to Detroit. He prefers the West, and Wings have a ton pf cap space. I would like to see us go for Parise and settle for a Carle to pair with Letang. I think one from these three of Depress/Bortuzzo/Strait from W/B-S is ready to make the jump to the big team. No question about it. Its an affordable option.

Shanny had a bullet release. One of the best power forwards of his generation. He will get in for sure- eventually.

When we talk about the best two way forwards, one must throw in Ronny Francis as well along with the names that Sohel mentioned. Kesler-J Staal- Bergeron- Callahan- Mike Richards-Patrick Marleau will be the present day Selke materials.

Beamer
June 28, 2012, 11:43 AM
Darren Dreger and all other hockey related media is reporting Crosby extension to be announced Sunday. 12 yrs- $104 mil, which comes down to annual salary of $8.7 mil per year, or in other words, the same cap hit as last five years. This is a great news and a great deal for my beloved Pens and I am ecstatic about it. Timing of the leak is very interesting. Its done with purpose IMO by the Pens to let all prospective UFA's to know where we stand and what kind of salary space we will have going in future.

Personally, he is worth every penny, and in fact he is worth the max amount allowed under CBA- $14 mil per year. He built the new Consol. He is the reason we are the no.1 in hockey ratings of all US cities in terms of viewership. He is the reason hockey survived here after some lean years. He is the reason why its sold out every game . He is the perfect captain for us, and I am proud he is our captain, and I won't have to change my avi for the next decade..

Leafs PWN
June 28, 2012, 12:33 PM
That indeed is a great deal for Pittsburgh. It's good for Crosby as well - in real salary, he will be making much more. The tag on years help the Pens alot with the cap hit.

In regards to Wideman, I'm not surprised by the contract. And to be very honest, I don't think it's that bad either. Ideally, I would think 5 M @ 3 years would be a good contract (considering he made 4.5 M in WSH). What really screws this up for the Flames is the NTC. Wideman is a young guy, and adding a couple extra years can't hurt them that bad, but letting him control his destiny for trades will be a pain in the *** when the Flames eventually decide to rebuild.

Widmen is a third pairind D - you're correct on that. But he is also a top 20 PPQB in the league. He's getting that much coin becuase of the offense he brings. Flames really needed to relieve some of the offensive pressure from Giordano, and also add another puck moving option. This move helps make their club better, and with the amount of cap space they have, I don't see it being that bad.

That contract for a DMan like Letang is a steal, but it doesn't really apply in this scenario. Letang was a RFA when signed, and Wideman is a UFA. Completely different ball game. Also, Letang signed that deal before he broke out, where as Wideman is coming off his 2nd best statistical season. As a UFA, Letang would easily get 6.5 M this year.

Suter was looking 7M from the get go IMHO. He is a Norris caliber player when he's on. The last player like this who made it to the UFA market was Chara, and he got exactly 7 from the Bruins. I think he can get 7+ M on a 7/8 year deal.

@Sohel, completely agree with you. WTF is that supposed to mean? You want to be handed the #1 spot before you even go there? If he's so concerned about being the #1 guy, he can go ahead and outplay Kronwall. There's no other way of going to a contender in hopes of being a #1.

I think Detroit and NJ as the best suitors for both players. If NJ can retain Parise, and Detroit missed out on Suter for some reason, I could see him going to NJ.

Also, I'm not sure if you guys have been following the Justin Schultz affair. He has narrowed his choice down to 5 teams - NY, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa.

Since he's getting the ELC max, and it really comes down to his own preference, I think we'll see a quick decision around July 1st.

Beamer
June 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
Have been reading on that Justin Schultz affair. His agent just turned down Wings. Its narrowed to five teams. Everybody is hyped about that kid.

Calgary -Wideman makes sense now. I guess, if you are a puck moving D able to produce points and run PP, you can basically call the shots. We would know. We robbed Dallas for Goligosky, and Ducks for Ryan Whitney few years back. I think I now why Shero keeps drafting puck moving D. They are basically assets to deal for wingers. Letang will garner $6.5 to 7. I think we will give him that when its time.

Beamer
June 29, 2012, 11:36 AM
Now, it looks like Marty Brodeaur will leave the Devils. Such a shame. They are in big financial trouble. I heard the owner needs a line of credit to survive within weeks or declare bankruptcy. Its a crippling situation and one we are aware of from those dark days. We too had to shed salaries until Mario and Burkle bought the team. Its unfair to the fans. Devils do such a great job of drafting and developing players, but its hard to retain people if you can't generate revenue. Devils play in a half empty arena on a nightly basis. Just sad..

Sohel
June 29, 2012, 11:42 PM
I too feel bad about the Marty situation. I'd loved to have seen him finish that HOF career in Jersey. The finacials of modern game are cruel indeed.

That being said, any team that feels it's very close to winning the Cup with a proven Cup winner in goal could use him, but will they pay the price his agent would be asking for? I can think of Chicago, Vancouver, San Jose and Phoenix in the West and Philly as well as Tampa in the East. All five have decent enough goaltending, even Vancouver now that Luongo is gone, but someone like Marty can do for them what Vernon did for us in 1997.

Toronto and Florida may go for him also but I doubt he or anyone else can help the Leafs win the Cup in my lifetime.

On a related note, as sad as I am to see Tim Thomas sit out the upcoming season, I'm thrilled to see Rask stepping into his skates. Tuukka is a god amongst men and like Quick in LA, will have the opportunity to prove that. Americans and Finns have a comprehensive lock between the pipes now, for at least one more generation to come.

Sohel
June 30, 2012, 12:25 AM
Babcock is ready for UFA flight
Wings coach says team is looking for a few good pieces
By Bill Roose - Managing Editor | DetroitRedWings.com

DETROIT – It promises to be a busy start to the month of July for the Red Wings, and coach Mike Babcock is at the ready to board an airplane at a moment’s notice to help with the recruiting of any potential free agents.

The Wings want to add a couple of unrestricted players, namely a top-pair defenseman and a forward to address scoring depth. The NHL’s annual free agency period begins this Sunday at 12 p.m. EDT.

However, this year’s pool of UFAs is widely considered to be, more or less, on the shallow end with New Jersey forward Zach Parise and Nashville defenseman Ryan Suter expected to be the biggest catches in the market.

“I’m in a position to fly wherever they want me to fly,” Babcock told the NHL Network Thursday from his home in Saskatchewan. “We’re a work in progress, so we’re talking each and every day about the moves that we’re trying to make, and we kind of have an A Plan, a B Plan, a C Plan, and we’ve probably got even a D Plan. I’m just going to be ready to go.”

The lose of defensemen Nicklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski to retirement in the last 12 months, and the recent departure of Brad Stuart – who signed with San Jose – are reason enough for the Wings to make an expected serious run at Suter, who produced seven goals and 39 assists for the Predators last season. Detroit didn’t have a defenseman compile 39 points last season, let alone 39 assists.

The 27-year-old Suter would give the Wings two top pairings and help Nicklas Kronwall quarterback the power play. But regardless of what the Wings’ front office does in the coming days in the open market, it will remain important that the team’s home grown players, like Jakub Kindl and Brendan Smith, continue to develop so they can contribute at the NHL level, Babcock said.

“I think it’s a big real opportunity for both of those guys and it’s going to be competitive for them and they’ll have to come in and take jobs,” Babcock said of Smith and Kindl. “Smith, to me, has been a player that we felt made our team out of training camp and as a coaching staff really felt like he could have helped us when he came up. Right now he’s a player that generates offense for you and a little bit for the opposition. We want him simply generating offense for us, he knows that. But we think he has upside potential.

“Kindl, on the other side, I think has really taken some steps in the last couple of years. He could be a puck-mover at the NHL level, he’s 220-pounds, he’s 6-foot-3, he can shoot the puck, it’s now time to grab a job and be an every day player that makes a contribution.”

While the Wings thought Lidstrom still had some good years left in him, Rafalski’s unexpected retirement last summer freed up some cap space, which the Wings still have available. It’s that money, along with the new windfall from this summer’s departures that will allow the Wings to pursue Parise and Suter. Currently, Detroit has 19 players under contract for the upcoming season at a cap hit of a little more than $46 million.

On Thursday, the league and the players’ association announced that the team payrolls have been adjusted up for next season with the cap floor set at $54.2 million and the ceiling set at $70.2 million.

With so many clubs expected to make lucrative offers to both Parise and Suter, getting them in Detroit isn’t a slam dunk by any stretch of the imagination. But, even if the Wings don’t land either – or both – of this year’s big free agency fish, there will be other tangible options out there for general manager Ken Holland.

Possible forwards include Shane Doan, Alex Semin, Jaromir Jagr, Teemu Selanne, and Ray Whitney, a 20-year veteran who played for the Wings in 2003-04. Defensively, there’s Jason Garrison, the 27-year-old left-handed shot, who finished second in the league with nine power-play goals among defensemen.

“We’re fortunate that there will be people on the market and we’re going to have to improve our hockey club,” Babcock said. “We were in a situation last year where we played $6 million under the cap on purpose to kind of be set-up for going ahead and that’s what we’re trying to do to secure the best people that we can possibly secure and then go from there.”

Injuries and the lack of depth certainly cost the Wings last April when they were bounced out of their first-round playoff series against Nashville. But if the Wings can secure one or two new players in free agency, then, Babcock said, he sees his team back in the thick of next spring’s Stanley Cup race.

“We think that we’re set-up to have pretty good depth. We just have to add a couple of people in spots and we’ll have that right back,” Babcock said. “To me, at playoff time, depth is everything. All you have to do is look at the team that wins at the end with four lines that can play.

“The way it worked out for us, we had guys at minus-5 in five games in the playoffs up front; depth didn’t work that way for us, so we’re going to try and address that. Now obviously, the more you can add at the top and slide people into the right spots the better off you are.”

Follow Bill Roose on Twitter | @Bill_Roose

LINK (http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636521&navid=DL|DET|home)

Both Doan and Semin are being considered. There's also rumors of Matt Carle.

Sohel
June 30, 2012, 11:22 PM
Apparently the Flyers are close to signing Nash. He's their kind of player for sure. Schultz goes to Edmonton.

Sohel
July 1, 2012, 01:43 AM
I wish Nash would find his way to the Pens eventually. Then they'll only need a hockey player named Stills.

Beamer
July 1, 2012, 09:07 AM
I wish Nash would find his way to the Pens eventually. Then they'll only need a hockey player named Stills.

Good one !! I see him going to Philly. Rumor goes Parise wants to remain with Devils. If so, good for him and Devils. Suter will land in Detroit. All the experts are projecting that..

Sohel
July 1, 2012, 09:32 AM
Good one !! I see him going to Philly. Rumor goes Parise wants to remain with Devils. If so, good for him and Devils. Suter will land in Detroit. All the experts are projecting that..

I'm not entirely sure about Parise yet. Us, you guys and the Wild are willing to pay way more than Lou will at this point. With either us or you guys, he'll may have a better chance to win the Cup sooner either as "the missing piece" or in your case, an excellent replacement for Jordan. The Wild are his home team and they'll break the bank to build their team around him, as far from Cup contention as they may be.

He said he'll let Lou know by noon EDT today and we'll find out whether he's staying with his longtime companion who's not offering much, or more exciting new prospective GFs offering a lot more, or his high school sweetheart offering everything she has for the happily ever after. Tough choices really.

Anyway, we also have designs on Doan and Semin and are definitely dumping the useless Hudler. Franzen better get going next year or he'll find himself traded. Zetterberg better shape up too, if not, he'll be playing in the 3rd line before getting traded. Old man Homer's as good as gone, thank GOD.

BTW, are you related to the Ispahanis here? They're old family friends and I'm pretty close to Emaad.

Sohel
July 1, 2012, 11:02 AM
Report: Zach Parise is headed for free agency
Sunday, 07.01.2012 / 11:07 AM
By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer / NHL Free Agency 2012 blog

Zach Parise reportedly won't sign with the New Jersey Devils before the free-agent market opens at noon ET Sunday so he can become an unrestricted free agent.

Parise, who is the top forward and arguably the top unrestricted free agent available, met with Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello in Toronto on Saturday night, according to a tweet from TSN's Bob McKenzie. However, McKenzie tweeted at 11 a.m ET Sunday that while the Devils are not out of the running, Parise wanted to test his value on the open market.

The Pittsburgh Penguins, Minnesota Wild, Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers, Los Angeles Kings and New York Rangers have been linked to Parise's name as being the most interested. Parise indicated two days after the Devils season ended that he would not sign with the Rangers.

Parise is good friends with Penguins captain Sidney Crosby, who is expected to sign his 12-year, $104.4 million contract extension Sunday. The Penguins are roughly $12.26 million under the $70.2 million salary cap, according to Capgeek.com.

The Wild will try to sell Parise on coming home as he is from Minneapolis. Minnesota has $18.49 million in cap space.

Detroit, with roughly $24 million in cap space, figures to be in play for both Parise and Ryan Suter, the top unrestricted free agent defenseman available. The Predators expect Suter to circle back to them after fielding offers.

Philadelphia is reportedly involved in trade discussions regarding Columbus captain Rick Nash. If the Flyers can make that deal happen, perhaps their interest in Parise will wane since Nash comes with a salary cap hit of $7.8 million for the next six seasons.

As for the Kings, they tried and failed to get the top free agent forwards in each of the past two summers: Ilya Kovalchuk in 2010 and Brad Richards in 2011. However, the Los Angeles Times is reporting that they are undeterred and plan to target Parise with roughly $11.8 million in cap space. If the Kings are able to acquire Parise, there's a good chance that burly forward Dustin Penner won't return to L.A.

Parise spent this past season as the captain of the New Jersey Devils, leading them into the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since 2003. The Devils lost in Game 6 to the Los Angeles Kings.

Parise had 31 goals and 38 assists for 69 points in 82 games after missing all but 13 games of the previous season with a knee injury. He has played his entire seven-year career with the Devils after they drafted him in the first-round of the 2003 NHL Draft and has 194 goals and 216 assists for 410 points in 502 games.

Follow Dan Rosen on Twitter at: @drosennhl

SOURCE (http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=10383&navid=DL|NHL|home)

Let the sweepstakes begin!

Beamer
July 1, 2012, 11:36 AM
Wondering who are you referring to as his high school sweetheart? now now..I can dish too! : ))

Sohel
July 1, 2012, 12:43 PM
Wondering who are you referring to as his high school sweetheart? now now..I can dish too! : ))

:lol:

Not Crosby bro, but the Wild. Just follow the attributes.

>Jersey:Longtime companion (not suggesting he's gay BTW)

>Wings & Pens:Prospective GFs who can win the Cup immediately

>Wild:HS sweetheart (because he went to HS in Minneapolis) who'll build her world around him but can't promise the Cup anytime soon

Beamer
July 1, 2012, 12:55 PM
Ha ha Gotcha..Him and Sid went to prep school in Minny and played together for a while, though he left before Sid. I am ok with Sid being his GF if he comes here :: )))

This is gonna drag a while. Pens brass are here, not in Tor at his agents offices, for what its worth. There could be a third team swooping in. Who knows? Wild has a tremendous offer for him. If its money, not The wings, nor the Pens can afford him..

Lots of secondary and tertiary players are changing places.

Beamer
July 1, 2012, 01:08 PM
Ray Whitney to Dallas. Big fan of him. The wizard is 40 and still in great shape.

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 05:35 AM
Ray Whitney to Dallas. Big fan of him. The wizard is 40 and still in great shape.

Ray! I know him only too well.

He was one of the crappiest players ever to play for the Sharks, a team rife with overpaid, utterly crappy players throughout the 90s. I was one of original season ticket holders and witnessed that frightening period first hand. His laziness and mediocre offensive output still annoys fans in San Jose.

But to his credit, he did improve quite a bit in Florida by becoming a consistent 50-60 point man. He hasn't looked back since then no matter which one of the zillion teams he happens to be in. He played for us one year, and unfortunately for all concerned, produced less than that expected 50-60. The fact that he was defensively not up to our par either didn't help his cause in Detroit.

He does stay in great shape and has an amazing team of agents and PR men working for him. They create unrealistic expectations year after year he naturally falls a bit short of, prompting fans and the press to ignore him. Then he moves on to a new paycheck being sold as an underrated player. Such is life!

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of such players but do appreciate the real hard work that lands him decent contracts despite his skills on the ice.

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 09:44 AM
Marty's staying in Jersey.

Beamer
July 2, 2012, 09:44 AM
Every time I have seen Ray play vs Pens, he scored ! Mostly with Canes. Guy has great hands, passes like a center, and has a great hockey IQ. Problem with players like him are getting overpaid because then expectation comes with it for greater points per game. I think he can be a solid solid complimentary piece for the right price. Saying that, Dallas perhaps overpaid. For the right price, I will love him on my team.

You guys got Tootoo! I love his game. I was hoping Shero could get him here. But, this Parise situation is becoming a drag now. I wish he just signs somewhere, so everybody in play can get on with business. I heard the offer made my Wild and Flyers are a lot more ( like $20 mil more ) than our offer. Lets see what he does. Also, hearing that Suter is going to be a Wing. He is just waiting to see what Parise does. If we fail to land Parise, I expect us to be involved in some sort of trade. Shero has pressure to land some one after giving away Staal this year. So, lets wait and see.

Beamer
July 2, 2012, 09:47 AM
Marty's staying in Jersey.

Very appropriate. Can't imagine Mario or Steve Y with other jersey. There are some iconic players that need to remain icons for their franchises. Marty is one of them for the Devils.

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 09:55 AM
Ray had his best years with the Canes, especially the year they won the Cup. Interestingly enough, that was the year he was paid the least during the course of his stay in Carolina. He also did well with the Yotes last year. And yes, he does have good hands and vision when not pressured and given too much space.

I'm happy about Tootoo. He works hard and has grit. That's exactly what we need when guys like Franzen and Hudler decide to disappear during crunch time in the playoffs. But we still need an energetic 2-way guy capable of scoring 60-70 points every season and turn it up a notch during the playoffs. JT ain't that guy and will never be.

The Suter deal is rumored to be close, but no solid word on either Parise or Doan yet. I'd lose it if Kenny signs Jagr.

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 09:57 AM
Very appropriate. Can't imagine Mario or Steve Y with other jersey. There are some iconic players that need to remain icons for their franchises. Marty is one of them for the Devils.

Agree 100% bro. Datsyuk, our next captain, and Crosby are the next gen Stevie and Mario for our sides. Zetterberg may get traded next year if he continues to decline. He has been ever since he won the Conn Smythe :facepalm:

Franzen WILL get traded if he continues to fail during the playoffs.

Beamer
July 2, 2012, 10:57 AM
JT is a third -fourth line grinder, but gives his best. Great fighter too. 60-70 pts guys cost money as they will be considered top six forwards and will get paid accordingly.

Wild beat writer tweeted ( yea..I follow twitter these days !!) that its down to two teams now with Zack. Wild and another team. Who knows? lets see. But, dominos will fall after he decides. Wild has offered $100 mil plus.

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 11:18 AM
JT is a third -fourth line grinder, but gives his best. Great fighter too. 60-70 pts guys cost money as they will be considered top six forwards and will get paid accordingly.

Wild beat writer tweeted ( yea..I follow twitter these days !!) that its down to two teams now with Zack. Wild and another team. Who knows? lets see. But, dominos will fall after he decides. Wild has offered $100 mil plus.

JT is likely to play with Helm in the 3rd or Abdelkader in the 4th line.

Anyway, that mysterious "other team" bidding 100m for Parise is Philly. Those frackers are also bidding the same for Suter. I don't think Kenny would go that far for either of them at that rate. I mean Parise's not a 100+ point guy for GOD's sake and Suter, as good as he is, ain't Weber or even Kronwall, Letang and Doughty IMO! We better go for a solid stay at home guy like Salvador and develop homegrown, genuine offensive defense prospects like Brendan Smith. Until he develops his defensive game as well as plays offense, guys like Kronwall and I hope to GOD Quincey, each with more than decent puck moving ability, can step up and play some extra minutes.

I see us offering Parise and Suter two huge signing bonuses over the next two years, and then consider longer term contracts based on how they do in our set-up. Committing $200m would be extravagant at this point. It won't be for Malkin and Weber but as I said before, these guys simply aren't that valuable, at least for us.

But then again Kenny's under pressure so you never know.

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 11:45 AM
Yeay, Sammy's back!

Mikael Samuelsson, the Swedish right winger, who won a Stanley Cup as a member of the Red Wings’ 2008 Stanley Cup squad, agreed to rejoin his former club Sunday afternoon with a two-year contract.

Samuelsson, now 35, scored 67 goals with 92 assists in 278 regular-season games with the Wings from 2005-06 to 2008-09. But Samuelsson’s stint in Detroit is probably best remembered for what he did on May 24, 2008 – scoring the first two goals in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals against Pittsburgh.

“We know him and he can skate,” Wings general manager Ken Holland said. “He has the ability to chip in with some scoring, he has a real good shot and he can transport the puck up the ice on the power play. He’s a real good solid pro and again we know him. You see guys 38, 39, and 40-years-old getting three-year deals, but I think he’s a good, young 35 because of his ability to skate.”

Following the 2008-09 season, Samuelsson tested the free agency waters and landed himself an annual salary of $2.5 million from the Vancouver Canucks on a three-year contract. Samuelsson also saw an increase in ice-time, which was something that he desired. In his first year in Vancouver, he produced a career-best 30 goals, finishing five tallies behind Alex Burrows for the team lead in the category.

The first two seasons in Vancouver were the best two campaigns of Samuelsson’s NHL career and the only time – in North America or Europe – that he managed to put together back-to-back 50-point seasons.

SOURCE (http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636859&navid=DL|DET|home)

Beamer
July 2, 2012, 11:53 AM
If he goes to Philly, I will lose it completely. At this point, I don't care where he goes, as long as he doesn't to Philly. Our offer is around $80 mil I heard for 10-12. That is a lot. He is a damn good player and one I admired for a long time. But, $100 mil is too much and I won't pay him that. That will also mean Malkin won't be here. And, I take Malkin over anybody, even Crosby. But, Crosby pays the bills. He brings the cash with endorsements and merchandise.

Pens beat writer twitted that Suter ends up in Detroit. He is great. Not Webber great, but just a notch below, and as a defense man I say he is better than Letang, though Tanger has more offensive instincts.

watch out for Matt Carle. Very underrated. I watched him over the years with Philly. I like him though he played for them

Beamer
July 2, 2012, 11:54 AM
Always liked Sammy. He played here of course. Not surprised he is back with Wings.

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 11:59 AM
Matt Carle would be an excellent buy indeed. I love the way good Philly players tend to wise up and move elsewhere to win the Cup. I hope Carle follows suit as Giroux also will eventually :lol:

Beamer
July 2, 2012, 12:48 PM
Pens offer to Parise : $8 mil/yr. Minny offer : $12 mil/yr

Draw your own conclusions.

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 12:55 PM
Suter was supposed to have a presser at 2pm est but that isn't likely. While there was rumor of the Wings yesterday I take that as only such. If he had made up his mind, the presser would have already been called. Alternatively, he may have decided already and is doing final negotiations before going public.

So much suspense for two guys who may or may not help deliver the Cup and may be too expensive to justify their talent. Such is the world of FA in the NHL today.

Beamer
July 2, 2012, 01:06 PM
Such is the world my friend. Dollar value attached to every single point scored !! you score such and such points in a season, or such and such goals, that's how you are judged in terms of dollar attached to your name. Plain and simple..

Beamer
July 2, 2012, 01:09 PM
These two have hold the NHL hostage so far today. No signings, no trades. Everybody waiting to see where they go, and dominoes will fall in place one after another. Semins and Carles of the world meanwhile waits with mouth on their face..:)

Beamer
July 2, 2012, 01:10 PM
Hands on their mouth..: ) My English has gone to dogs recently. Too much email, text message, tweets to blame :)

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 03:00 PM
Hudler to Calgary. 4-year @ 4m per year! Morons!!! :floor:

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 03:34 PM
Parise to the Wild for 95m? Say goodbye to the Cup buddy.

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 03:37 PM
^Not sure how reliable that is. Apparently Philly offered him 116m! This has become absurd now.

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 03:39 PM
Parise to talk to media in a few minutes.. @JoshRimer

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 04:13 PM
What if Suter is waiting for Parise to sign and Parise is waiting for Suter to sign...:lol:

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 04:22 PM
This is like watching grass grow. This is like watching water boil. This is like watching time pass. This is like watching foreign films.

Sohel
July 2, 2012, 04:27 PM
Quotes from NHL.com:

"Parise told reporters Monday outside of his agent's offices in Mississauga, Ont., that he is going to take time to discuss his options with his family before making a decision. "

and

"He took Sunday night to sleep on his decision and waited until late in the afternoon Monday to inform the media that he is not ready to make a decision."

Sohel
July 3, 2012, 01:22 AM
Jokinen to Winnipeg from Calgary. Just can't get out of the Tundra after leaving LA and Florida, can he (that weird spell in NYC doesn't count)? :lol:

Olli Jokinen is one of the most improved 2-way players in NHL, and has begun to emerge as an offensive threat as well. Naturally he'll do even better with strong linemates in a well coached team, but I doubt that the Jets can do that for him. He would've been a steal for better teams IMHO.

Beamer
July 3, 2012, 08:28 AM
This is like watching grass grow. This is like watching water boil. This is like watching time pass. This is like watching foreign films.

This is like watching paint dry :floor:

Beamer
July 3, 2012, 08:31 AM
Hudler to Calgary. 4-year @ 4m per year! Morons!!! :floor:

Overpayment. 2008 Hudler was a different player though. Still, he had 25 goals last season ( I looked up ) and like I said earlier, thats all it matters these days- numbers !

Sohel
July 3, 2012, 09:12 AM
Hudler's unforced failure during the playoffs made him totally useless in Detroit.

Beamer
July 3, 2012, 09:26 AM
Waiting waiting waiting..and came up with this : Re arrange letters of Zach Parise and you get A CASH PRIZE..:)

Sohel
July 3, 2012, 09:33 AM
Waiting waiting waiting..and came up with this : Re arrange letters of Zach Parise and you get A CASH PRIZE..:)

I'm waiting for Lotus Kamal to make an offer to Zach Parise.

Beamer
July 3, 2012, 09:42 AM
I'm waiting for a Shahadat maiden over...

Sohel
July 3, 2012, 09:48 AM
I'm waiting for a Shahadat maiden over...

I'm waiting for Shahadat to pull an Anderson Cooper. Always felt he, Cooper that is, was far too good looking, well groomed, well dressed, well read, sensitive and articulate to be straight. Won't be surprise if Parise feels the same way. His name, after all, is Parise.

Sohel
July 3, 2012, 10:16 AM
Parise was the name given to an adorable little girl about 5YO by a couple I know.

I once asked her: "Parise, tumi eyato jaan hole ki kore ma?"

She said: "Allah banaise."

Leafs PWN
July 3, 2012, 10:50 AM
So it seems like Bobby Ryan is back in play again. His preffered destination is the Flyers.

So many good forwards available right now - Nash, Parise, Semin, Ryan. Don't remember the last time this many were in play around FA.

I like how Parise called the presser to say he hasn't made a decision yet. Great trolling there. :lol:

Sohel
July 3, 2012, 11:06 AM
It's tough out there for Zach. He IS from Minny after all.

Salvador stays in Jersey. 3 year, $9.5m. I think he's worth it.

Leafs PWN
July 3, 2012, 12:16 PM
Yea, the cap hit is pretty good for him. I think 3 years is 1 year too much, but that can't hurt them that bad considering the rising cap.

EJ re-ups with Colorado for a 4 year, 3.75 M/YR deal. Even though he is a RFA, that's a terrific contract for Colorado.

I think Parise will decide at the end of this week at the earliest. With as many options as he has, just like Kovy had, it will take some time to consider the offers. Given the fact that he is making a decision for the next 8-10 years of his, it's understandble why he would take his time.

I hope he goes to Minny. It would be awesome to see an upcoming team get a big name FA for once.

Sohel
July 3, 2012, 12:20 PM
The NHL analyst in the video on NHL.com stated that Suter will wait to make his decision until Parise signs with a team. I don't get how the Pens, Flyers, or Hawks could even afford both. From looking at CapGeek, the only 2 options on his "short list" that could afford to sign both are the Wings and Wild. That makes me think we are still a strong possibility for landing both. Unless one or both resign with their former clubs. I could be completely wrong on this numbers thing so please, correct me if I'm wrong. I know we have to fill the hole left by Lidstrom leaving, but we still need a pure goal scorer. The 25ish goals that Franzen puts up is not enough and he shouldn't even be the one that we are relying on to lead our team in goals. Datsyuk and Hank have to step it up, and if we land Suter and not Parise, I think we have to get Semin or Ryan.

Beamer
July 3, 2012, 12:40 PM
So it seems like Bobby Ryan is back in play again. His preffered destination is the Flyers.

So many good forwards available right now - Nash, Parise, Semin, Ryan. Don't remember the last time this many were in play around FA.

I like how Parise called the presser to say he hasn't made a decision yet. Great trolling there. :lol:

Out of those four, only Semin and Parise are UFA's though. Any team that deals for Nash ( who has years left ) and Ryan ( RFA ) will have to give up assets and roster players. So, yea, once Parise signs, the rest will follow. Suter is smart. He knows that a team that fails with Parise will up the offer for him. So, he is waiting.

Minnt star trib just talked to Parise and he basically said that he hasn't even talked to his fiance yet. So, for whatever its worth, I think we are in for more waiting.

I think he ends up back in Jersey. That old bastard Lou is guilt tripping him..:floor:

Beamer
July 3, 2012, 12:46 PM
The NHL analyst in the video on NHL.com stated that Suter will wait to make his decision until Parise signs with a team. I don't get how the Pens, Flyers, or Hawks could even afford both. From looking at CapGeek, the only 2 options on his "short list" that could afford to sign both are the Wings and Wild. That makes me think we are still a strong possibility for landing both. Unless one or both resign with their former clubs. I could be completely wrong on this numbers thing so please, correct me if I'm wrong. I know we have to fill the hole left by Lidstrom leaving, but we still need a pure goal scorer. The 25ish goals that Franzen puts up is not enough and he shouldn't even be the one that we are relying on to lead our team in goals. Datsyuk and Hank have to step it up, and if we land Suter and not Parise, I think we have to get Semin or Ryan.

We certainly can't afford both. I think we have around $12 mil to play with. Michalek+Staal = $8mil that we didn't have before prior to trade. Asham and Glass basically flip flopped the contract. Steve Sullivan is UFA. Only way Pens remotely can afford both is by trading Paul Martin and his asinine $5/yr mil contract for a bag of pucks.

Sohel
July 3, 2012, 12:56 PM
I think all teams technically have an extra $7 mil until the season starts since they can go up to 10% above the salary cap in the off-season, so the Hawks, Penguins, Flyers, etc. can sign both, but they'll have to shed other salary.

That being said, Parise knows that if he signs with the Pens they can't keep Malkin. Geno is worth way more than Parise. Any team that lands both will have to shed cap, including us. There has been so much suspense to this point, I wouldnt be surprised if they both sign odd ball deals with teams like Phoenix or Florida :lol:

Beamer
July 3, 2012, 01:15 PM
Yes. You can carry extra cap till some cut off date later and at that point you restructure your roster. Some body on twitter posted a gulf stream flight plan from Wisconsin to Detroit...oh man..what suspense! I thought I was the one with suspense since my wife is due in about a week..: )

Sohel
July 3, 2012, 01:18 PM
Yes. You can carry extra cap till some cut off date later and at that point you restructure your roster. Some body on twitter posted a gulf stream flight plan from Wisconsin to Detroit...oh man..what suspense! I thought I was the one with suspense since my wife is due in about a week..: )

MashAllah bro. All of my prayers and good thoughts are with Bhabi :)

That's Suter you're talking about. I think we got him.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N559LC

BTW, here's a gem from someone in the NHL.com FAS tracker:

Breaking News, sources say the Flyers offered Parise $100+M to stay with the Devils to avoid signing with the Penguins.

:lol:

Beamer
July 3, 2012, 01:30 PM
Thank you brother. Preciate that..

Suter was always Detroits. He said he liked to be in West. Detroit can offer him that no one can. I think he is a stud.

Sohel
July 3, 2012, 01:50 PM
Apparently the initial offer to Suter was 12 years for $90 million, that's $ 7.5 mil per year. No word on the final agreement yet but Illitch and Chelios went to meet him.

Beamer
July 3, 2012, 01:56 PM
I am sure they brought pizza for him...