PDA

View Full Version : Alok as an opener: Is this a good idea???

bd_cricket
March 3, 2004, 03:46 PM
Utpol Shubhro reported Whatmore is sending Alok to open the innings, probably with Bidyut.

Why is he not thinking of Ash as an opener if he really wants to replace Hannan with Alok.

Beamer
March 3, 2004, 04:20 PM
One reason is, Whatmore doesn't want to upset the no3. to no.5 combination of bashar, rajin and ash. I agree with aloks inclusion in the one day team, whether he succeeds as an opener or not that remains to be seen. Whatmore is apparently pissed with Hannan after his leg stump dismissal in the second test ( i have always said that his tendecy to shuffle accross will spell doom for him )and he has not been picked. Bidut is 50-50 for the game. If biddut can't go, I will play Hannan. He is way better than al-shahriar who scored 5 yesterday.
take care bud

pagol-chagol
March 3, 2004, 04:35 PM
Looks like Whatmore loves my out of the box idea. Check this out. I called this last week.

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=4441

Go to the 6th post:ninja:

billah
March 3, 2004, 04:39 PM
Can't wait to see what happens. After all, the opening duo did a decent job in the second test. This is ODI time, I guess. I've always said, Hannan is a test type batsman.

bhobishshot
March 3, 2004, 06:16 PM
where can I find this Utpol Shubhro report?

AsifTheManRahman
March 3, 2004, 06:38 PM
It's a bad idea

Mridul
March 3, 2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by bhobishshot

check today's prothom-alo

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 3, 2004, 09:38 PM
ji bhai,
ajke prothom alor ai article ki kintu amio porechi. onek asha niye alokke namano hochhe open korte. hannaner opor kintu coach besh khudhho tar outer dhoron dekhe 2nd test ar por. jar karone kintu take akhon baire thakte hochhe. tobe bidoot ar shathe je shesh porjonto alok ke open korano hobe eta kintu shompurno nirdharito noi. karon 2nd test a fielding ar shomoy kintu bidoot aghat pan. ebong prothom one day te tar khelar shombhabon kintu fify fifty. orthat ato hotashar modhhe aro akti hotasha jog holo. shudhu shetai noi bashar ar khelar shombhabonao kintu kom karon practice match a kintu tinio aghat prapto hon. asha kori ai duijoni thik shomoy fire ashben. alok take kintu onek asha niye open korano hochhe. take 6 number a namonor kotha chilo kintu ete kore aloker batting ar omorjada hobe. ar e chara mazhe kintu ar jaiga nai karon basha kingba rajin ebong ashraful ke tader order theke shoriye coach whatmore kintu risk nite channa. tai ai bebostha. prothom alo te kintu bola hoyeche je tendulkar gilchrist erokom onek batsmanke kintu nich theke upore uthanor pore tara aro beshi run peyechen. asha kori aloko tader moton hon. asha kori alok bashar ar moto bertho na hon. karon erokom experiment kintu coach bashar ar shatheo korechilen kintu tini kintu chilen bertho. dannabad.

fwullah
March 3, 2004, 10:44 PM
I don't know how Whatmore was able to turn a number six batsman Jayasuriya into the current (opener) Jayasuriya of today, but I know this that this decision to turn Alok into a make-shift opener is going to ruin his International career.

I've seen Alok Kapali to struggle against a new ball, and whenever he came in at two down or much earlier than usual, he always performs poorly.

Prothom Alo is only trying to justify Whatmore's decision, (which I think there's no reason to justify) by saying that Sachin Tendulkar and others are make-shift openers. I don't know who they're kidding, I will certainly go against this idea of a mockery.

You want to make a middle order batsman into an opener? Just talk with Al-Shahirar - he'll tell you why its not a good idea. Although I am not sure if he'd be totally honest or not, but I can speak for him. He will say that his career is now nowhere after the decision of the team management/coach whoever's decision it was to turn Al Shahriar into an opener in the last Zimbabwe trip during 2001. Back at that time, there was Mehrab Hossain in the side, and yet they had tried to open with Al-Shahriar. And yes, Al Shahriar has successfully achieved to open soon after that, but that happens only in Test cricket, not in ODI cricket.

And now the same thing is happening, or in other words, history is repeating itself. Now we're trying to make yet another make-shift opener, as if to make the earlier decision of turning Al Shahriar into an opener just another success(!?!?!?). :mad:

Oh yes, there is the example of Atahar Ali Khan. But back then, when Atahar was turned into a make-shift opener, Bangladesh did not play cricket at the International stage as often as they are now. Atahar had the luxury of playing against ICC Associate teams on more occassions than not. And anyone, with the experience of going through the past cricket history of Bangladesh can say that there's a gulf of difference between an ICC Associate team and the nine test playing nations. The worst thing is, against Zimbabwe, our batsman, especially our top order batsman performs way better than against other 8 test playing nations. So it could well turn out into a MIRAGE if everything goes according to the plan of Whatmore.

rassel
March 3, 2004, 11:02 PM
I would't mine letting our coach try this new combation. All our previuos combation failed over and over again.If they produce same outcome; alok could be restore to his original position.

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 4, 2004, 12:19 AM
jaihok,
ai muhurte jehetu hannan bad amar mone hoi na alok ke namale khub akta oshubidha hobe. jehetu amader ai muhurte ar open korar keo nai shehetu kapalike namali ami khub akta oshubidha dekhchi na. ebong whatmore ja koren amar mone hoi bhebe chintai koren. amar mone hoi na whatmore ar kothar upor amader matobbori kora uchit. manush matroi bhool. kintu ai bhooler modhho diyai kintu amra shikhi. ebong experiment ar maddhomai kintu shafollo ashe. god badha niyom a chollo kintu kichu hoi na. notun notun bhabe try korte hoi. dannabad.

Rubu
March 4, 2004, 12:58 AM
at this point i don't see any perfect or close to perfect solution of opening problem. we'll have to bear with the problem. whoever we choose, there will not be any good. what the heck, lets try each possible combination in 5 matches.

James90
March 4, 2004, 06:33 AM
Alok's in terrible form...we need him back in the squad and in form...what can we do? I KNOW!!! THROW HIM IN THERE WITH THE NEW BALL!!! Kapali along with Pilot has saved Bangladesh from complete humiliation down at number 6-7. I think this should remain!

Hannan
?
Sumon
Rajin
Ash
Kapali

that's a pretty good team. Rajin, Ash and Kapali can be rotated to be the 5th bowler. Certainly not an opener though

fwullah
March 4, 2004, 07:31 AM
See? Even a 13 year old Aussie (or, is it that you're 14 now - this year, Habibul_fan?) knows what is good and what is bad. Only if our media-men were as wise as he is.

Mridul
March 4, 2004, 07:52 AM
guys...give Alok a chance as a openner....how do u guys know that Alok will fail as a openner?...remember World Cup 2003....bangladesh lost 4 wickets for 5 runs in the very 1st over...Vass got hattrick!!!...Alok played there from 2nd over...and he was the top scorer

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 4, 2004, 07:55 AM
dannabad madam,
kintu emotion diye kotha bolle kintu hoi na. coach dev whatmore ar upor kintu amar purno astha royeche. dekhai jak na ki hoi ak bar dekhle oshubidhata kothai? ai muhurte jokhon ar kono bhalo option nai tokhon akbar experiment korle to khub akta khoti nai. ar amon to na je hannar ar biddoot bishher shera opening juti. mridul bhai apni kintu thiki bolechen. ami bolchi na je whatmore hoito alokke tendulkar banay felben. ai jatrao bifole jete pare. kintu experiment korte kintu kono khoti nai. ontoto aktibarer jonno. please have patience and trust in him. thank you.

Sami
March 4, 2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Mridul
guys...give Alok a chance as a openner....how do u guys know that Alok will fail as a openner?...remember World Cup 2003....bangladesh lost 4 wickets for 5 runs in the very 1st over...Vass got hattrick!!!...Alok played there from 2nd over...and he was the top scorer

And he was kind of in form back then...

bhobishshot
March 4, 2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Mridul
Originally posted by bhobishshot

check today's prothom-alo

If the link is not in the index page, I can't see it (tried ie6, Mozilla, etc). And I did not see any link in the first page.

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 4, 2004, 11:43 AM
apni prothom alo te jan. tarpor khelar patay jan. www.prothom-alo.com a jan. tarpor left side a ase khelar khobor. dannabad.

bhobishshot
March 4, 2004, 11:52 AM
When I click on any of the links on the left side, I don't see anything. If there is a link in the main page then I can see it. The page goes blank when I click the kheladhula link. Any more ideas?

Ahmed_B
March 4, 2004, 12:03 PM
there is not much doubt about it that Alok is not in his best of forms..
but etao true je opener hishebe khub valo perform korar moto strong form e thaka consistant batsman koi amader??
jodi bivinno jonke die try korte hoy . then Alok noy keno??
I think, onek somoy kono player jodi dekhe je tar upor team r coach er astha ache.. then tar modhe confidence rebuild hoy r performance o valo hoy..

r Alok ke Tendulker ba Jayasuria’r (sorry for the spelling mistakes) sathe compare kindu Whatmore korenni... koreche amader media!

Whatmore has already proven himself to be respectable enough... so lets just trust him for now!!
echara ami kichu korar dekhi na!!

Just one thought : wht is Rafiq’s performance of batting in the first 15 overs in ODI?? Has he ever been tried in big matches? Anyone knows??

Sham
March 4, 2004, 12:17 PM
you are using Test match principles to argue a case for ODIs. The two forms are completely different. In Test cricket, I have always felt that you need proper openers to face the red new ball.

However, one day cricket is a totally different ball game. Opening in ODI cricket is not that different from batting anywhere else. Why do you think pinch hitters do well in ODIs. Do you think they would do well opening in Tests? Your job is to go out there and have a go with the bat while the field is in, not try to survive with 4 slips, two gully's and a short leg waiting to get you. Two very different scenarios.

So, saying that how does anyone expect to make an opener out of Kapali is a moot point. No one is trying to make an opener out of him. They are trying to make him do what Tendulkar and Ganguly do for India or, make use of the fielding restrictions.

Sham
March 4, 2004, 12:19 PM
is an interesting case to take up. The mistake BD made was to make him a Test opener, when he would have been much more suited to batting 2 down. If BD had kept him in the middle order for Test cricket and just made him open in ODIs, we would have had a different Rokon now in my opinion.

SS
March 4, 2004, 12:24 PM
I don't see any reason to include Al Shahriar he just wasted his chances..Hannan sux in the openning and not to mention about Bashar's lack of tecniques..only Rajin was consistent...so there is no substitue...even trying with Alok won't work..He somehow just played good and may be confident than other batsmen but he is not international class cricketer...mostly he can contribute 30 runs.

fwullah
March 4, 2004, 12:29 PM
If BD had kept him in the middle order for Test cricket and just made him open in ODIs,

This is something that I haven't heard before. If I could go back 4 years with a time machine, or like in 'Seven Days', then I would have definitely let somebody know of this tactics. Really, why didn't we make him a middle order batsman in Tests and open in ODIs?

And I know that its a bit too late now (with Rokon's batting average of around 12 in ODIs) can we try it now? What are your views on this?

fwullah
March 4, 2004, 12:32 PM
SS, why are you saying that Alok is not an International class cricketer?

SS
March 4, 2004, 12:36 PM
why Rokhon!! past is past. no need for him. He wasted his time..may be he was good before but now he is not!
There will be NO WIN in this series..all the team can do is to not make any mistakes..may be in near futures they can but now it's too early ..they immature and needs time to go to that stage

SS
March 4, 2004, 12:39 PM
to be in that level...you need a common sense, responsiblity, courage to fight and stand up besides the technique. He might have shots in hand but he lack everything else.

Ahmed_B
March 4, 2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by SS
to be in that level...you need a common sense, responsiblity, courage to fight and stand up besides the technique. He might have shots in hand but he lack everything else.

unfortunately enough.. most of our batsmen fall in that category u just mentioned!! :(

Zephaniah
March 4, 2004, 02:58 PM
I'd rather like to see Rokon being out of selection for a year or so. If he shows a charecter/hunger to play for his country with consistant domestic/A team performance only then he should be selected. It's bit too early but Bidut ( & Ash to some extent) has done it and so should Rokon and Alok.

Tehsin
March 4, 2004, 06:39 PM
I agree Sham and the others on this one. I like Kapali (ok, ALOK) and even though he hasn't managed to give the bowlers any kapani lately, the boy has talent and has much more to offer. Having said that, i don't see him coming in at 5/6 as a batsmen in the ODIs. Dav likes the guy and I am sure he didnt want to drop Kapali so he had to improvise. Kapali has shots and what better way to utilize those shots then to do it in the first 15 overs of the match ? No one can predict the future and nothings permanent. So, let's look at this for what it is - an experiment.

I would love to see him back at number 6 with Pilot at seven but till he returns to form, playing a match or two as an opner may not be a bad idea.

I wonder if Dav has thought about flying Nafees in, he is hungry for runs and is in good shape and his confidence must be up there. We could definitely use him in Zimbabwe.

The line up:

Two openers: Hannan/Bidyut/Alok?
3 - Sumon
4 - Rajin
5 - Ashraful
6 - Mushfiq Babu
7 - Manjurul Rana
8 - Pilot
9 - Rafique
10 - Tapash
11 - Tareq ? Manju ?

After Tapash and his opening partner works through the zimbs openers, Babu will produce some sleep inducing pace with Rana playing second fiddle to the maestro (Rafique) as we snuff zimbs up for 153 all out.

The first 90 balls will produce a blazing 50 from the bats of Alok as Hannan/Bidyut irritate the zimbs bowlers. Sumon will come in and improve on his ducks with a 'solid' 10. Rajin and Ash will take a leaf from Alok's book and finish off the match with 10 overs to go.

There's the short version of our first ODI victory in years (almost 5).

BangladeshCricket
March 4, 2004, 07:07 PM
lolz nicely analyszed Mr. Tehsin...
as all know Zimb can bat really good...so with our limited pace attack we just have to bowl to the wkt to check their runs...and then bat with confident and solidly no need to rush...we will rush for win if and only if we are close to it...otherwise we just have to put effort to ractify the mistakes the batsmen made in test series.

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 4, 2004, 07:20 PM
bangladeshcricket bhai,
ashole kintu kothata akdom apni thiki bolechen. chase korar moton porjaye kingba run rate baranor porjaye kintu amra akhono pouchainee. akhon amader jeta dorkar sheta hochhe wicket a thaka. ebong aste aste singles and doubles ar maddhome score take barano. down the wicket a eshe khelar kintu amader akhono kintu khub akta proyojon nai. top orderra jodi ebhabe khele tahole shesher dike kintu pressure kom pore. tokhon middle order ebong lower orderra eshe kintu hat khule marte parbe. tokhon kintu run rate amni barbe. kintu prothomai jodi marte jai tahole kintu dhosh nambe. ebong shai dhosh shamlatai kintu tokhon middle orderke basto hote hobe. tokhon kintu run rate o ar barano hobe na ar score to barbai na. ar boling ar shomoy apni jeta bollen je bollarra jodi line ebong length bojai korte shokkhom hoi taholai kintu taderke chape fela shombhob. karon tahole ak shomoy na ak shomoy tara frustrate hoye marte jabe ebong tokhoni kintu bipod hobe. dannabad.

BangladeshCricket
March 4, 2004, 07:54 PM
thanks for agreeing but some how we have to implement it i mean the players lolz :D