PDA

View Full Version : Enamul Jr. top wicket taker in the tournament

pagol-chagol
March 5, 2004, 11:42 AM
http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/OTHERS/U19-WC2004/STATS/U19-WC2004_FEB-MAR2004_AVS_BOWL_MOST_WKTS.html

Afridi got one wicket in the final.

Enamul got much inferior competition though.

pagol-chagol
March 5, 2004, 11:51 AM
He also has the best average(run/wicket) of only 10.18.

Best Strike rate (ball/wicket) of only 19.2.

2nd best Economy rate (runs/over): 3.16 among the top 10 wicket takers. Lost 1st place by only 0.05.

Pretty big achievement for a Bangladeshi player. Probably bigger than the plate win. :fire:

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by pagol-chagol]

Mahmood
March 5, 2004, 12:36 PM
He will probably be unlucky for a long time as we already have Rafiq who is definitly our one of the top players.

Enamul just might face the fate of MacGill (vs. Warne)

Optimist
March 5, 2004, 12:44 PM
I will disagree with Rajputra. Australia also have quality pace bowlers. So they can use three pacers and Warne. But We don't have that. What's the use of taking toothless pace bowlers! We can use two pacers and two spinners. Some might argue that two left-arm spinners don't make sense. But I think we should choose the best bowlers capable of taking wickets irrespective of their type. And as we saw in Zimbabwe, if we over use rafique we might suffer.

Kalbaisakhi
March 5, 2004, 12:50 PM
In near future we willl see another Rafiq.Guess who?????Enamul Junior. Because he is just 19/20.After 3/4 years we will see him as a strike bowler of Bd.But at first give him chance to play for BD in any practice match when Bd will go to play cricket abroad.Because we know Rafiq is capable to capture many wicket in any pitch.So to my opinion Bd should give chance to him play for Bd.

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

chinaman
March 5, 2004, 12:52 PM
Are we forgeting Rana? He is SLA too but somehow overshadowed by his batting brilliance. If I remember correctly, Enam was conceding too many runs against England. But the good thing is, he's young and has real potential.

Optimist
March 5, 2004, 01:05 PM
I think against England the selectors played Rana in the limited over matches because of his better batting abilities when compared to Enamul. So far he has batted so well that he is being preferred over Alok. To keep his place he will have to bat well. Rana does not deserve a place on the strength of his bowling alone. But for Enamul, he will have to replace one of the bowlers. I will prefer Enamul to be used only for the tests now. Rana can be a very good limited over option. Rafiq's place is beyond doubt in either version.

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by Optimist]

Ahmed_B
March 5, 2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Rajputro
He will probably be unlucky for a long time as we already have Rafiq who is definitly our one of the top players.
(vs. Warne)

true.. but Rafiq is quite old ane Enamul Jr. is only 17 i guess... so dont worry!

billah
March 5, 2004, 02:08 PM
Just want to point out:

Enamul actually has the best strike rate and also the best average, if you count out the occassional bowlers that got 3 wickets or less in the whole tournament.
He was the best bowler out there, from just about every angle.

Piranha
March 5, 2004, 06:29 PM
We had played Mohammad Rafique and Enamul Haque senior together for a long time. I dont see a problem for Enamul Jr to come into the international team soon.

But u guys are right, the field definitely has become more crowded. All in all its a good situation. If we are keeping good players out of the team, it says something good about our potential to create good players.

reinausagi
March 5, 2004, 07:12 PM
A successful young spinner in the senior ranks is rare. It takes time for them to figure out how to buy their wickets, and to develop cunning and guile- which is a spinner's bread and butter.

In absence of a quality pace duo, test teams have been known to play up to three dedicated spinners at a time. Bedi, Chandra and Venkat/Prasanna for example.

Besides, as crickethorizon pointed out, they Jr. is a young lad, he just may take over when Rafique is ready to mentor him and hang it up.

billah
March 5, 2004, 07:24 PM
Since Zim A is coming to tour at the end of this month, I think it will present Enamul with a perfect opportunity to hone his skills. From what we already know, Zim A is not that different from their main team. Nafis should also play every game against Zim A.

Warlock
March 5, 2004, 07:26 PM
The good thing is- in the U19 team we have some promising youngsters who will hopefully step up to the bigger league in a few years time.
Rafique is our best weapon. Apart from Masri the other pace bowlers are mediocre. Therefore, we use Rafique all the time in a test match. If we have Enamul- the pressure on Rafique would be less. What is the point of playing three pacers when they can't take wickets? We should stick to Masri (when he is fit) and Tapash- as pacers. Enamul can play alongside Rafique and we can pick up one alrounder either Mushfiq or Manjarul, depending on the demand for pace or spin.
Our real concern should be our batting. After supporting BD for the last few years- I am having problems with my nerves (they get all jittery during a match). I don't want to see BD collapsing like 22/5 after a few overs play (ref- 1st test, BD-ZIM), anymore! I am hoping some of the new lads, notably Nafees and Naeem- the openers, would appear at the scene soon and go on scoring runs REGULARLY! We need a good batting line up!

A good batsman must score centuries once in a while, and 50s and 30s all the time. How many batsmen like that do we have in our BD team? Probably only Habibul. If we want to win a test, we need to improve! We need to post 300+ scores in regular basis, and sometimes 400+.
Nafis was the 4th highest run scorer in the U19 competition. He has already scored a century against England last year in a practice match. He is a bright prospect. Naeem has played beautifully and with a cool head during the tournament (he is 21st or 22nd in the batting ranking). He has the looks of a good consistent opener. Though Aftab is all style and flare- he has proved his worth in a 46 ball half-century in the plate final. He needs a little more polishing (hope McInnes would take care of that), but he is definitely a good player. I am excited and can't wait too see these teenagers make their own marks in world cricket!

Tehsin
March 5, 2004, 07:26 PM
We should just invite Zimbabwe to come to BD instead of the ZImbabwe A team. That way, we can be certain of having a 5 match series. Whose great idea was it to set the tour up in Zimbabwe during this time ? We have been waiting months to see some action and now rain rules the day - everyday.

billah
March 5, 2004, 07:37 PM
Dear T bhai: It will be the same scenario if Zim visits us in a couple months. As far as I can see, most low-rated series are scheduled this way by ICC. After all, we wouldn't want Ashes rained away, or an India-Pak match for that matter. The revenue loss would be too high. We will get the good schedule after beating Australia a few times, I'm sure.:)

reinausagi
March 5, 2004, 08:11 PM
billah wrote:

As far as I can see, most low-rated series are scheduled this way by ICC. After all, we wouldn't want Ashes rained away,

Interesting observation. If true, the ICC has done the 'game' a disservice.