PDA

View Full Version : did we ever produce a world class player other than Rafiq

pagol-chagol
March 5, 2004, 02:13 PM
did we ever produce a world class player other than Rafiq? I am afraid that he is like 40 or 45 and we have huge shoes to fill.

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by pagol-chagol]

pagol-chagol
March 5, 2004, 02:16 PM
I can't believe we kept him in bench for so many years. Goes to say what kind of geniouses are our think tanks.

Zunaid
March 5, 2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
I can't believe we kept him in bench for so many years. Goes to say what kind of geniouses are our think tanks.

Partly true but also part of his being benched had to do with the fact that he was reported for a suspect bowling action and had to take corrective measures.

This was in Jan 2001 - that was a long time in the wilderness though.

From Cricinfo (http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2001/JAN/070203_ICC_09JAN2001.html)

Does anyone have details about the chronology of events affter the reporting?

Thanks,
Z

syedmahm
March 5, 2004, 02:41 PM
agree with pagol-chagol

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by syedmahm]

Tehsin
March 5, 2004, 05:47 PM
At this moment, Rafiq and Sumon are the only world class players that we have. Masri does have a potential but his injuries keeping him away from unfolding his true potential.

By the way, Rafiq is about 34, he is a spinner and IF bd fails to produce a worthy successor, Rafique could play for the next 3/4 years without any problem.

reinausagi
March 5, 2004, 07:26 PM
I'm great fan of Rafique. But, it's streching it by labelling him world class. Too many players with proven records in his particular area of expertise. Shane Warne, Anil Kumble, Harbhajan Singh, Murali, Saqlain...

In absence of a consistent 'strike' bowler, Rafique is doing what no one else is stepping up to do with a shiny ball: play the 'wrecker in chief'.

pagol-chagol
March 5, 2004, 10:30 PM
I think last year I read a foreign article on who was the best SLA in the world and it was between Rafiq and Vettori. Can someone dig it out. I think I got the Url in someone's post here.

Thanks.

Hasib
March 5, 2004, 10:36 PM
Pagol-chagol... wat made u think he is 40-45 years old?

pagol-chagol
March 5, 2004, 11:08 PM
I was just kidding on that. I know he is officially 34. But Unofficially;)

(what a wrong thing to bring up after the under 19 tournament win against Australina kids)

Hasib
March 6, 2004, 08:40 AM
Thats wat everybody says... but is there any evidance of this?!!!

fwullah
March 6, 2004, 10:51 AM
I didn't read what others said; but looking at the topic of this thread, I must say the following:

Rafique is NOT a world class player.

However, he is a Match Winner either with the ball or the bat.

Ahmed_B
March 6, 2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by reinausagi
Too many players with proven records in his particular area of expertise. Shane Warne, Anil Kumble, Harbhajan Singh, Murali, Saqlain...

funny thing is that. the ones u mentioned... r almost all top class bowlers!
Rafiq is not a great turner-true.. but he's got perfection & and variation & he keeps on taking wickets.. !!
can u pls specify wht else is required to become a top class spinner?:duh:

i wil even go one step ahead, saying that quite a few of our players (both bowlers n batsmen) ar really upto the mark for international career... the prob is tht they themselves dont hav the realization yet tht they hav the skills!
only time can help them get the real confidence.. and also giv all of us the confidence too!!:lol:
take my word on that!

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by crickethorizon]

pagol-chagol
March 6, 2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by reinausagi
I'm great fan of Rafique. But, it's streching it by labelling him world class. Too many players with proven records in his particular area of expertise. Shane Warne, Anil Kumble, Harbhajan Singh, Murali, Saqlain...

Rafiq, Vetorri etc. are different type of spinners (SLA) than the ones you mentioned. And Rafiq may be the best in that group.

cRow
March 6, 2004, 04:12 PM
I dont know why i think this, but i think Atahar ali khan was another world class player we had.

James90
March 6, 2004, 05:57 PM
Australia: Brad Hogg
Bangladesh: Mohammad Rafique
England: Ashley Giles
India: Murali Kartik
Sri Lanka: Sanath Jayasuriya
New Zealand: Daniel Vettori
Zimbabwe: Raymond Price
South Africa: Nicky Boje

There are a lot of them but Rafique is near the top

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by Habibul_fan]

AsifTheManRahman
March 6, 2004, 06:03 PM
Rafiq is world class...world class doesn't mean that you have to be an Abdul Qadir or whatever...and even Kumble was a hopeless turner of the ball...

Look at his average and test record...if you don't think he is world class then I don't know what to say

James90
March 6, 2004, 06:34 PM
And can someone remind me how many tests he's played against Australia?

Navarene
March 6, 2004, 06:56 PM
Mohammad rafique test stats:

Opponent Balls Mdns Runs Wkts BB Ave 5wI 10wM
England 689 27 310 10 3-84 31.00 0 0
India 318 12 120 3 3-117 40.00 0 0
Pakistan 976 43 405 17 5-36 23.82 2 0
South Africa 362 9 162 6 6-77 27.00 1 0
Zimbabwe 582 21 236 6 4-121 39.33 0 0

source (http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Players/2/2199/t_Bowling_by_Opponent.html)

Don't think Rafique played any test against Australia. Not sure though..

Pundit
March 6, 2004, 07:50 PM
But H_FAN meant something else....

Pundit
March 6, 2004, 07:53 PM
And its unfortunate that he didn't get to showcase his skills because of the lack of a good complementary bowler...spinner or fast.

Need Masri back soon !!

Hasib
March 6, 2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Navarene
Mohammad rafique test stats:

Opponent Balls Mdns Runs Wkts BB Ave 5wI 10wM
England 689 27 310 10 3-84 31.00 0 0
India 318 12 120 3 3-117 40.00 0 0
Pakistan 976 43 405 17 5-36 23.82 2 0
South Africa 362 9 162 6 6-77 27.00 1 0
Zimbabwe 582 21 236 6 4-121 39.33 0 0

source (http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Players/2/2199/t_Bowling_by_Opponent.html)

Don't think Rafique played any test against Australia. Not sure though..

I can never open cricket archives for some reason!!!

pagol-chagol
March 7, 2004, 02:29 AM
Now I remember. Thanks for the reserch guys. It was during the English tour.
An English cricket columnist wrote that Rafiq was much better than Giles and they wished they had Rafiq. Either Rafiq or Vettori was the best SLA in the world.

Kalbaisakhi
March 7, 2004, 08:04 AM
I think now a days Rajin should be world class.And with him Ashraful , Alok,Mushfiq

are world class 2.

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Warlock
March 7, 2004, 09:32 AM
Rafique is certainly world class. Apart from Masri, we do not have a good bowler who can complement Rafique. Tapsh can take a couple of wickets but frankly speaking he is not a major threat to any batting line-up. During the first test against Zimbabwe, the batsmen played Rafique's overs carefully and scored runs against the lesser bowlers.

Our biggest problem is- the bowlers with the new ball are not taking enough wickets. We need to create pressure from the beginning and make early inroads for rafique to do go on with his job as the "wrecker-in-chief".

We need good fast bowlers who have real pace- like Masri or even faster! There was a report by Rabeed Imam (Daily Star) in the Cricinfo website after the U19 plate final. He mentioned about our new teenage pace sensation Shahadat (Shahadat Hossain Rajib). I am quoting the part of his column here,
----------------------------------------------------
The intensity soon picked up, however, as Shahadat Hossain Rajib, the 6ft 2ins tearaway from Narayanganj marked his 50-yard run up. He steams in like an express train and hurls down the ball from a slight angle with a partially open action. Every time he began his run, the drums started beating in a pulsating rhythm and those who didn't have an instrument to hand would join in with a clatter of empty mineral-water bottles. Just to return the compliment, the bowler, one of the fastest on show at the World Cup, shattered the stumps of Theo Doropoulos.
------------------------------------------------------
How about this kid? If we groom him correctly for another 2/3 years, he might be a real spearhead.

Enamul stole the spotlight with his stunning 22 wicket haul in the tournament. But there is another pace bowler called Nazmul, who took 13 wickets at 16.15 runs apiece (8th in the top wicket-taker list) in the U19 cup. He is a good prospect also.

Ahmed_B
March 7, 2004, 12:51 PM
...lets hope tht all these brilliant guys reach their peak of performance very soon!!!
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

sasharif
March 8, 2004, 04:51 AM
To be very honest, I think none of our players is world class. However, we have/had a few players whom we can call players of international standard:

1. Raquibul Hasan (The first bangalee/ Bangladeshi to play test cricket)

2. Jahangir Shah Badsha

3. Nazim Shirajee

4. Atahar Ali Khan

5. Mohammad Rafique

Among this 5, certainly Rafique and Atahar are in the top of my list. However, One can not disregard Aminul and Khaled Masud and may well be included in the list (especially during the pick of their forms)

sasharif
March 8, 2004, 04:54 AM
I forgot to include Mashrafee in the list

fy288
March 8, 2004, 05:06 AM
A player like Rafique could play until at least 40, by that time Emanul Haque Jr should be well established in the team, and both of them could cause havoc one day.

my top 5 BD players:
1. Rafique
2. Bashar
3. Mortaza
4. Saleh
5. Ashraful

no one has mentioned Ashraful, trust he will soon blossom again!! i hope!!:fanflag:

Ahmed_B
March 8, 2004, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by sasharif
To be very honest, I think none of our players is world class.

.... dont be so disappointed....

pagol-chagol
March 8, 2004, 05:32 PM
If Rafiq was born in some of the other test playing countries he could have made their test teams.

Do you think anybody else could? Basher?

Would you say Raqibul or Badshah at their pick would have played? Wasn't Raqibul a goodwill cameo? :info:

Rho
March 9, 2004, 02:27 AM
imo Rafique is the only one who makes the cut for his dedication. But talentwise Badshah, Basher, Athar, Nannu and Koushik are also "nearly" world class.

Honestly speaking I don't think any of them are truly world class. But I see someone like Rafique getting regular test matches for his consistent performance.

In reality someone like Tikolo is a way better bat than anyone in Bangladesh. And also Morris Odumbe, Otieno they're more world class than any of BD players, unfortunately.

[Edited on 3-9-2004 by Rho]