PDA

View Full Version : How Strong a team is UAE?

fwullah
March 6, 2004, 03:24 AM
Can anybody tell me how strong team UAE is?

The last times we met, during the ACC trophy in 1998, we were able to comfortably beat them, courtesy of Aminul Islam Bulbul's all-round performance (yes, allround - with the both bat and ball). As far as I can remember, he was leading the Bangladesh side during that tournament.

However, 5 years have passed after that, and we have witnessed at our own expense that how a team can vastly improve in only 10 years time (example: Kenya - we used to beat them, may be not comfortably, in the 1986 and the 1990 ICC trophy, but then in 1994 ICC trophy, Kenya was able to beat us by scoring a first innings total of around 300. Later, papers (I am referring to Kriralok) said that we had to be in a stronger group in the quarterfinals, or the 2nd stage because we were in the same group as UAE and lost to UAE (the team that had 10 Indians, Pakistanis and Sri Lankans, and only 1 player born and brought up in UAE).

After that, UAE lost most of their players because of an application and approval of that application from some of the other ICC Associate nations, which includes Bangaldesh and Kenya; and as a result, they also lost their strengths after that.

But with time, may be the old rules are comng back? How else would somebody like Clayton Lambert, a former Test cricketer of the West Indies, play for USA?

Anyway (as our Economics teacher says, kothay theke kothay chole gelam :P ), my question is, how did UAE improve in the last 5 years? I can assume this much that at the Asian circuit, after Bangaldesh's gaining of the Test Status, UAE is the beneficiary, as Bangladesh were thought to be the beneficiary after Zimbabwe's Test Status in the ICC trophy; for which reason, UAE are now two times champions in the ACC trophy. I must add here that may be in the last 5 years, only 2 ACC tournaments were staged, and UAE were champions on both occassions.

My interest in UAE is because we are to play either UAE or Hong Kong or both of them in the up-coming Asia Cup in Sri Lanka in coming July.

Source: Tri Nation's Challenge (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/3534009.stm)

Hasib
March 6, 2004, 04:29 AM
all i know is they r made of mostly forign players.

billah
March 6, 2004, 05:08 AM
Yup, Indians, Sri Lankans, pakis.

Kalbaisakhi
March 6, 2004, 05:46 AM
Yes and probably they play domestic cricket in Pakistan and India.

When I saw the last match of them only 2/3 player were only origine from UAE.But most of them r from Pakistan,India and Srilanka.And probably(i dont remember) one was genienly from Bd :-/:-/

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Hasib
March 6, 2004, 07:37 AM
A bangladeshi?!!! was he any good?!!!

oracle
March 6, 2004, 08:07 AM
Their club scene and junior cricket, i.e school cricket is well organised. More than that and importantly they have good sponsors such as Belhasa and Emirates, who are always dishing out the money. Most probably, Emirates has a team.

fwullah
March 6, 2004, 11:40 AM
Well we're not playing against UAE in an ODI in this Asia Cup.

Report from bangaldesher Khela.

fwullah
March 6, 2004, 12:46 PM
UAE has beaten Holland!?!?!?!

Amra Kon duniay achi!

US claim final place (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/MAR/087093_WCI_06MAR2004.html)

Kalbaisakhi
March 7, 2004, 04:41 AM
Shob Sombhober Cricket Holo One Day Cricket.

:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

reinausagi
March 7, 2004, 09:49 PM
UAE has made gradual progress in cricket through state and private patronage notable among whom is Shiek Abdul Buktiar (sic?). The south asian expats- a majority of whom are/were guest workers form the bulk of the gallery, when a match is staged in any of the seven emirates. Sharjah, has taken the lead in this area. It makes sense that expats or, their progency will make up the bulk of this team for the near future...

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by reinausagi]