PDA

View Full Version : Untold stories of BD cricketers..

cRow
March 7, 2004, 03:52 PM
Ok, lets face it, we are a test playing nation now, Our cricketers although not very famous but they are test players, we as fans love them and would like to know them a little better. So, if anyone here knows any untold funny or any stories about our cricketers , lets share. I will start first, I am from chittagong so, i know Akram khan's family very well, AK's elder brother Iqbal khan was a very good friend of my uncle, Iqbal khan was a very good footboller and was a gold medalist in that field, Akram khan beside cricket plays good badminton. Akram khan's family are Bihari's and they speak only urdu among themselves. Now, lets come to Akram khan's nephew, Iqbal khan's eldest son, Nafees Iqbal, I saw him 7 years back when i was still in BD and to tell you the truth i never saw him playing cricket, Akram khan's younger brother Aqbar was a good cricketer too but he was way too chubby for it, Akram's another brother own a restaurant in ctg called golam e azam, it makes good paratha's. Another cricketer from ctg is Minhazul abedin nannu, his father was killed during the liberation was in 1971. Nannu's elder brother Nobel used to open for BD team in mid 90's, He was a good batsman too.

cRow
March 7, 2004, 04:21 PM
I have a very funny story about a BD cricketer named Jahangir Alam Dulu, he used to play for the BD team in the 80's and he was the opening bowler for BD. I heard this story from the very mouth of Minhazul abedin Nannu. Dulu was a very simple man and didnt know any english at all. So, Bd team once went abroad to play some math ( i dont remember where) and Dulu was bowling, after a while when the opponent teams batsmen were hitting the ball a lot on Dulu's bowling, Dulu became very concerned that the ball became very loose to bowl, so, unhappy Dulu went to the umpire ( who was a foreigner) with the ball at his hand, put the ball infront of the umpire's face and said " Sir this ball is very Dabb Dabb". Translation " sir this ball is very loose"
Ans there is a correction on my previous posting, Nobel used to play for BD team in mid 80's not mid 90.s.

chinaman
March 7, 2004, 04:54 PM
Nice stories, cRow. Hope others will share too.

Shafi
March 7, 2004, 04:58 PM
Chinaman bhai,
This should be in the forget cricket thread.

Shafi
March 7, 2004, 05:01 PM
Here's my story.
when I was in class 6 one of my class mate someday starts talking with a guy named Rokon with whom he played in his neighbouring field in Agargaon. So hearing about the amazing stuffs about Rokon's batting oneday I went with my friend to see him batting. Guess how many runs did he score???
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
I didn't see him batting. He bowled and took 3 wkts in an over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chinaman
March 7, 2004, 05:03 PM
It's about our crickter, so I guess it's ok to keep it here.

Shafi
March 7, 2004, 05:07 PM
Yes. Indeed it's about Atahar Ali Khan.
After that pakistan tour I went to Rapa plaza one day and found their Atahar Ali khan is shopping also!! Oh people went crazy shaking his hands and congratulated him about slapping amir shohail and ramiz raza through his intelligent commentry.

** Sorry there is no funny side in this story :(***

Rubu
March 8, 2004, 12:33 AM
I'd share this story, but not sure u'd find it funny or not. moreover, may be u already know it because i came to know about it via "kriralok".
it was during the last icc trophy we played. it was a match against scotland, i believe. at some point when bd was bowling, pilot handed over the keeping gloves to nannu and left hurrily. guess where did he go. to the BIG call of nature.

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by AgentSmith]

fy288
March 8, 2004, 05:00 AM
i think i saw Manjural Islam Rana ( who is playing good at da moment in Zimbabwe)in London, coz i remember him playing for a local team called Addiscombe. He was wondering around the High Street looking baffled in his Bangladesh green blazer!!

Carte Blanche
March 8, 2004, 06:21 AM
This is nothing funny, but I'm gonna say it anyway. I was at the stadium watching a game between two local teams. Former national cricketer Selim Shahed came to watch the game. During the Innings break, I went up to him and asked for an autograph. I was probably around 13/14 back then. He looked at me weirdly at first and then said "amar autograph diye ki korba babu?". I didn't know what to say, I was kinda disappointed actually, thinking this is a round-about way of saying "no". I was also slightly embarassed by the fact that he called me a "babu" in front of all my classmates, lol. Anyhow, I replied "ekta autograph den na Selim bhai". He laughed and said "accha thik ache".

I've met Enamul Haque Moni several times. Very down to earth kind of person off the field. Also met Nannu. He is very soft-spoken and speaks surprisingly good english (compared to our other cricketers).

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by Carte Blanche]

bd_cricket
March 8, 2004, 08:58 PM
The story I am telling about a person who was a cricket organizer. He passed away few years back. I was an employee of a company back then where this guy was MD. He was manager of the BD team once and also served as a selector at one point. I saw many BD cricketers visiting his office while I was working in that company.

By the way, this guy couldn't write any Bangla alphabet - he was good in english. One day he gave us a hand written report written in English on cricket. His hand writing was very difficult to read. He asked me and my immidiate boss to translate that report into Bangla asap. We started working on it. The report was mostly about the selection of Bangladesh cricket team's captain. At that time Akram Khan was made the captain - overlooking Minhazul Abedin Nannu. There were some funny comments we had to translate. I remember one - it says: "We are not selecting the captain for our wrestling team - it is cricket team", also another one - "Our captain eats two full chicken before a match." (can't remember the exact words.) Translating those into Bangla was fun. We had to do that because it was kind of order from the MD. Anyway, our translated Bangla report was published on the next day in Daily Inquilab. I forgot who was named as the author of that report - probably as "sports reporter" or something.

BD Tigers
March 8, 2004, 10:14 PM
Like all of you, cricket is in my blood. I hate to see BD loose but cannot stand anybody who says bad abt my country. Anyway, all my life (till 1996), I played in 2nd and Premiar Division at dhaka for DOHS and Gulshan Youth. I have seen players from Raman Lamba (who died from Opee's hook) to Hasibul Hossain Shanto (my team mate at DOHS). Current team's computer analyst (Nasu) and his brother Manju are my relatives. I want to tell a funny story of these two brothers. Nasu/Manju bhai used to play for Mohammedan and Abahani respectively and both of them were WKs. Nasu bhai used to get real mad if he is caught behind and Manju bhai doesnt drop the ball. He used to come home after the match and break plates, glasses etc. I never asked him about this but I was pretty sure about it. Another guy I used to play with is Sohel Hamid, brother of Kaiser Hamid (famous football player) and son of Rani Hamid. He was regarded as the best flicker/leg glance player in the league. I don't know how much it is true but he was great anything on the leg side. Its kinda funny and same time sad to remember all these that I cannot do this anymore.

But now at least I get some kind of comfort knowing that there are lot of people like me living abroad and love my team as much as I do. I always come to the forum whenever there is a match going on and love to read/share your comments. Thanks BanglaCricket!!!

Mridul
March 8, 2004, 11:50 PM
i am going to share something very new....its my own story....it happened last Friday March 5th...

in our University's gym...we were playing India vs. Pakistan cricket match....i was supposed to do Umpiring..but becuz of player shortage i was selected in Indian team..beside me there was one more Bangladeshi (Ashraf bhai) in Indian team...

...first match Pakistan won....2nd match India won (Ashraf bhai helped India to win the match.. he hit a six in this match)......now the 3rd match....India bowling first....i was fielding in mid on...batsman played cross-batted...and the ball was coming towards me..but it was coming low on the air...i dived..and took a low diving catch....nobody usually dives in the gym...but i did...i dont know why did i do so...i thought it was a simple catch....but when i got up from the ground..all of the indian players ran to me and picked me up on their shoulders....for a while i thought i was dreaming...there was one indian guy (sardar ji)...was telling me that..."man..u proved it today...bangladesh is coming up"....all other pakistani players were also praising me for the catch....

.....it was the best moment of my cricket life....i still can't believe it...the catch was not that crucial at that time....but the way those Indian players were celebrating with me..it seemed that they won the match and I was the Hero..

...Finally india won the 3rd match..when the Sardar ji hit a six in the last ball...and they celebrated picking Sardar ji up on their shoulders.

fwullah
March 9, 2004, 01:21 AM
AgentSmith, I also read Kriralok. Do you think that the standard of Kriralok has gone down over the last 3-4 years? 3-4 years ago, there were sport reporters like Nasimul Dodul ... etc. writing in Kriralok, which they don't write now. Instead, they're working for Channel I, ATN Bangla's sports news section.

I saw Kaisar Hamid once, at one of my aunt's house, he used to be friend of one of my cousins'.

When I was doing my BBA, during 2001 January, in Comilla Bard, I saw Durjoy, Opee, Rokon, Moni; they went there to play in the national league between Comilla and Dhaka. Most of my friends knew them; but none of us went to meet them in person. I remember one of my friends, who doesn't watch cricket and so didn't know that they were national cricketers, (she) was telling others that some people were looking at her when she was on her way to the girls' hostel (dyab - dyab kore takie chilo).

In the same year, Bangladesh Cricinfo arranged a quiz competition during the last Bangladesh tour of Zimbabwe and I got 2nd prize in the quiz competition. I went to a hotel with my Dad and received the prize (a cricket bat signed by national cricketers like in the following - Naimur Rahman (captain at the time), Khaled Mashud (vice captain) .... and many others. It was the first time ever that I saw a cricket bat for real - not in TV; and hold a cricket bat - WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT :P ). At the presenation ceremony, Grameen Phone's CEO, then BCB president Saber Hossain Chowdhury, Trevor Chappell, Naimur Rahman, Sanwar Hossain, Bikash Ronjon Das, Habibul Bashar were present.

Now lets get to the funny thing that happened there. I took my camera to take pictures, and my Dad took the camera from me some time and in the process, he accidentally switched on a button, (I didn't know about that button and what it did at the time). The button is for taking pictures 10/15 seconds later than actually pressing the main switch.

Anyway, I went to Trevor Chappell and asked him in English if I could take a picture of them; and then while trying to take the picture, I realized that the camera is not working :lol: ; so I tried to push the switch too hard with grrr expression in my face. Anyway, eventually I could take a few pictures.

Another funny thing that happened there was that one of the other participants in the quiz competition were not sure as to who is the actual participant, watching me (a girl) and a senior citizen with white beard (my Dad) and asked Dad something - like if he is the participant or not, can't remember what he asked. Then I said that no, I AM the one who participated.

:embaressed:

:lol::lol::lol:

My cousin is soon to be married may be later this year with a former u-19 national cricketer Imran Rouf. I didn't meet him yet as he is abroad now, but had a few chat sessions with him.

sage
March 9, 2004, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Mridul
i am going to share something very new....its my own story....it happened last Friday March 5th...

in our University's gym...we were playing India vs. Pakistan cricket match....i was supposed to do Umpiring..but becuz of player shortage i was selected in Indian team..beside me there was one more Bangladeshi (Ashraf bhai) in Indian team...

...first match Pakistan won....2nd match India won (Ashraf bhai helped India to win the match.. he hit a six in this match)......now the 3rd match....India bowling first....i was fielding in mid on...batsman played cross-batted...and the ball was coming towards me..but it was coming low on the air...i dived..and took a low diving catch....nobody usually dives in the gym...but i did...i dont know why did i do so...i thought it was a simple catch....but when i got up from the ground..all of the indian players ran to me and picked me up on their shoulders....for a while i thought i was dreaming...there was one indian guy (sardar ji)...was telling me that..."man..u proved it today...bangladesh is coming up"....all other pakistani players were also praising me for the catch....

.....it was the best moment of my cricket life....i still can't believe it...the catch was not that crucial at that time....but the way those Indian players were celebrating with me..it seemed that they won the match and I was the Hero..

...Finally india won the 3rd match..when the Sardar ji hit a six in the last ball...and they celebrated picking Sardar ji up on their shoulders.

Very nice story. Thats the spirit!!

AsifTheManRahman
March 9, 2004, 01:19 PM
I met Bulbul once...a couple of days before the tri nation series between BD, Kenya and India...my bro went up to him and wanted an autograph...he also said "Bulbul bhai world cupe Scotlandke harate hobe kintu..."
Bulbul said "Hae amra parbo"
Then my bro said "Aar Kenyakeo kintu harate hobe..."
He said "Aare Kenya kono bapari na..."
Just a few days later BD lost badly to Kenya in both of the matches that the two teams played in the tournament.

SS
March 9, 2004, 02:34 PM
Now let me share my story(!)
one day i saw all the eleven players in the lunch room. They just got all out and came back there. I saw couple of sad faces but the coach said listen cheer up we will win next time..so they cheered up call their families to bring them food..especially that was fourth day of Eid...their families and wives came with the cooked food and then they ate and went home happily ever after

P.s.: characters of the story and itself are not indeeded to hurt any feelings of any body. This is just a story!!!

pagol-chagol
March 9, 2004, 04:16 PM
bdTiger,
whats up with shanto?:info:

thanks for the stories.