PDA

View Full Version : Rahul Dravid set to retire

F6_Turbo
March 8, 2012, 01:24 AM
Rahul Dravid is likely to announce his retirement on Friday. Dravid, 39, has called a press conference in Bangalore that will also be attended by N Srinivasan, the BCCI president.

Dravid is set to be the first of India's senior-most cricketers - including Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman - to quit the game after a season of speculation surrounding their future. His decision follows a poor tour of Australia but he enjoyed a prolific run through 2011, on tours of the Caribbean and England.

More to follow

Zeeshan
March 8, 2012, 01:34 AM
bleh...

lol okay i care i care but it's just that...eez now i have to shift to watching water boil in microwave isntead ;)

wishing him the best

F6_Turbo
March 8, 2012, 01:59 AM
bleh...

lol okay i care i care but it's just that...eez now i have to shift to watching water boil in microwave isntead ;)

wishing him the best

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7E01hxvvyRc/TVJxsXFa0aI/AAAAAAAAAAo/rQYIa8z40-A/s1600/the+wall+dravid+%2528Small%2529.jpg

zsayeed
March 8, 2012, 02:02 AM
all in all not justa
another brick in THE WALL

Maysun
March 8, 2012, 02:50 AM
A good bloke all around and a true gentle man. He's the type of cricketer I want to see in the B'desh lineup one day. Farewell and the best wishes!

Night_wolf
March 8, 2012, 03:39 AM
Should have announced this in the aus tour

Dilscoop
March 8, 2012, 04:41 AM
Of the 3, I'll miss him the most. I'll miss him the most of all the Indians.

banindfan
March 8, 2012, 09:42 PM
If Only the BCB could pick players with atleast 25 percent batting techniques & mental toughness that of the Legend Rahul Dravid ; then we would definitely be an above average test playing nation!!!

Salute 'The Wall'

PoorFan
March 9, 2012, 01:33 AM
One of the most gentle but hard working guy in cricket history, now he should work on for coaching job I wish.

Dilscoop
March 9, 2012, 01:48 AM
I don't think he would make a good coach. JMF.

Dilscoop
March 9, 2012, 02:07 AM
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/556782.html

Don't wanna take any attention away from Rahul The Wall Dravid, but how come Ponting didn't get this "LIVE" service?

Murad
March 9, 2012, 02:15 AM
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/556782.html

Don't wanna take any attention away from Rahul The Wall Dravid, but how come Ponting didn't get this "LIVE" service?

Ponting didn't retire yet. He didn't say he retired from ODI cricket.

Dravid retired from ODI last year and today he is retiring from Test cricket.

Murad
March 9, 2012, 02:16 AM
Dravid had no choice. India's next Test is about 6/7 months away.

Now Laxman and Tendulkar should follow him and leave with their heads high.

idrinkh2O
March 9, 2012, 02:20 AM
George Binoy:
Rahul Dravid (http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/556782.html) : "I would like to announce my retirement from international and domestic first-class cricket. It is 16 years since I played my first Test match for India and today I feel it is an time to move on. Once I was like every other boy in India, with a dream of playing for my country. Yet I could never have imagined a journey so long and so fulfilling.

No dream is ever chased alone. As I look back, I have many people to thank for teaching me and belieiving in me.

My junior coaches in Bangalore and at various junior national camps inculcated in me a powerful love of the game which has always stayed with me.

My coaches at the international level have added to my craft and helped shape my personality. The physios and trainers worked hard to keep me fit -- not an easy job -- and allowed me to play late into my 30s.

The selectors, who rarely recieve any credit in India, occasionally had more confidence in me than I had in myself and I am grateful for that. The various captains I played under offered me guidance and inspired me.

most of I i have to thank the teams i played with ...

I was lucky in my early years to play for Karnataka team which was trying to forge itself into a strong side and they were years of fun and learning.

In the Indian team, I was fortunate to be part of a wonderful era when India played some of its finest cricket at home and abroad. Many of my teammates have become legends, not just in India but in the wider cricketing world. I admired them, learnt from them and I leave the game with wonderful memories and strong friendships. It is a great gift to have."

George Binoy: He's thanking his family now for all the support he's had from them. Saying a sportsman's life is not easy. Thanks his wife for all her support. Looks forward to spending more time with his children.

Dravid: "Finally I would like to thank the Indian cricket fan, both here and across the world. The game is lucky to have you and I have been lucky to play before you. To represent India, and thus to represent you, has been a privilege and one which I have always taken seriously. My appoach to cricket has been reasonably simple: it was about giving everything to the team, it was about playing with dignity and it was about upholding the spirit of the game. I hope I have done some of that. I have failed at times, but I have never stopped trying. It is why I leave with sadness but also with pride."

Dilscoop
March 9, 2012, 02:22 AM
^ Dude, we can visit ESPN cricinfo too. Hate it when people do that...

Wonder what it's like to retire after all these achievements! I know deep down inside he still wants to achieve more.

I don't want Tendulkar to retire yet. 1) He will just an attention whore. 2) Well I think he can still bat on in Tests. He should've retired after winning the WC though...

Dilscoop
March 9, 2012, 02:31 AM
Q. Did the Australia tour have an impact on the decision? Dravid: "I would like to believe irrespective of how the Australian series had gone, I would have assessed a lot of things and come to the same conclusion."

I don't believe that. If he played like he did in England last year, and stood out from rest of his teammates, he would've played on, I feel.

Q. Was there a temptation to stay for one more Test match at home?

Dravid: "If you make a decision during a series, then I think it is great. I have been part of nice farewellls. But I made my decision now. Just to keep playing for the sake of playing one more match was not right. That's not how I have played the game. The only reason I played a cricket match for India was to try and win a match for India."

This is what he has been like through out his career. Very unselfish and unSachin. One of the reason why he has "lesser" stats than Sachin, and down the future he will be buried under Sachin's stats and "accomplishments." (Which is a recognition itself in a way)

chinaman_f
March 9, 2012, 02:51 AM
Arrividerci, "Jammy" :( Rahul Dravid will be dearly missed. Probably the last real test batsman has now retired from International Cricket :( Never been a fan of the Indian Cricket team, but this guy was a true class act. His numbers speak volumes for him (13 thousand runs at an average of 52 in tests) - but it was more his incredibly proper batting techniques that will be missed. Batted in the middle, batted at the top, kept wickets, and when the supposedly "exciting talents - the future of Indian Cricket" were struggling in England last year, he batted with unmatched grace - and struck three hundreds. Add to that the world records of 210 catches in tests, and 19 century stands with Tendulkar, plus the nearly 11 thousand runs in ODI's.

My most recent fond memory of him was last year when he played his debut AND final T20 against England, and I was rooting for him to do something amazing. He didn't disappoint anyone. Struck 3 back to back sixes off a spinner (possible Samit Patel) before getting out.

Salutes to you, Rahul! You will be missed.

F6_Turbo
March 9, 2012, 02:54 AM
Hahaha...Giving one final insult to Shoaib waste of talent Akhtar :lol:

When asked about facing him,

Dravid : He was a good player, no doubt, but not one of the great bowlers I faced, McGrath, Ambrose, Walsh, Wasim Akram, Waqar, Murali, Warne....

thebest
March 9, 2012, 03:24 AM
If Only the BCB could pick players with atleast 25 percent batting techniques & mental toughness that of the Legend Rahul Dravid ; then we would definitely be an above average test playing nation!!!

Salute 'The Wall'
A complete batsman - both technically and mentally. Could we hire him as batting coach?
One word 'RESPECT'

zinatf
March 9, 2012, 05:07 AM
I wish we could hire him as a batting coach :(
He could have been so helpful especially when it comes to test cricket.

Dilscoop
March 9, 2012, 06:02 AM
For once, can you people not talk "us" in every topic possible and just give him a proper farewell that he deserves?

zinatf
March 9, 2012, 06:24 AM
ssshhh dilu

Naimul_Hd
March 9, 2012, 07:16 AM
Thanks Dravid for all those great innings. Its really sad to see all my cricket heroes are retiring from cricket one by one. We have now only few left from the Golden Era of modern cricket.

ahnaf
March 9, 2012, 02:06 PM
In my eyes he is the best batsman of india.. Such a good player.. A True gentleman..
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

patriot
March 10, 2012, 01:41 AM
One of my favourite Indian Batsman . Only the best in the business can match his flicks of the wrists and those scorching cover drives . Great ambassador for the game , fantastic personality and a role model for upcoming cricketers . Not the greatest Talent , but definitely up there with the most hard-working.

Along with that Bat he gifted to Tamim (2007 World cup , after the BD-IND Game) he should have given him a book/lecture on 'Controlling one's attitude' . Might have helped Tamim a bit.

Biggus
March 10, 2012, 01:52 AM
He has been a fine ornament to the game. I don't think I've ever heard a bad word said against him, and that is most unusual. Actually I have heard Indian fans complain about him at times but he is respected pretty well universally. Good luck to him in his future endeavours. I salute you Sir Dravid.

Sohel
March 10, 2012, 01:57 AM
A class act on and off the pitch, he will be remembered. I feel Kohli will eventually fill the void as his test game starts to become as good as his shorter ones.

Khoda Hafez Rahul, guys like you make us love the game.

Ajfar
March 10, 2012, 09:25 AM
RESPECT! Wadda player. I think he made the right decision by walking away in his own term. I'm sure if he wanted to, BCCI would have gave him one last home test match but I'm glad he didn't. Just goes to show you how unselfish he is.

zinatf
March 10, 2012, 10:47 AM
Dravid - the wall will be always remembered by Cricket fans. Sachin is a great legend, but he should also follow Dravid's footsteps. It's not because he's out of form, but he has played for long and have broken almost all the records possible for any other batsman.

bujhee kom
March 10, 2012, 11:02 AM
A grand salaam to a great athlete, batsman, captain and a leader Rahul Dravid!

al Furqaan
March 10, 2012, 02:40 PM
A class act on and off the pitch, he will be remembered. I feel Kohli will eventually fill the void as his test game starts to become as good as his shorter ones.

Khoda Hafez Rahul, guys like you make us love the game.

:up::up::up:

It will be very exciting to watch Kohli and others develop.

cricheart
March 10, 2012, 02:47 PM
Unforgettable cricket gentleman, just born in wrong era to be on limelight. I wish Dravid will be interested in BC development in near future, and offcourse can enlight BPL.

BrianLara7
March 10, 2012, 02:59 PM
:up::up::up:

It will be very exciting to watch Kohli and others develop.

as long as they don't go to Eng/Aus/Sa ...

Dilscoop
March 10, 2012, 03:18 PM
^ You can count on Kohli to perform all around the world. He has the technique and the guts to step up. Forget about those other overrated chubby flat track bullies.
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/commonwealth-bank-series-2012/engine/records/batting/highest_career_batting_average.html?id=6632;type=t ournament

banindfan
March 11, 2012, 09:26 PM
Dravid is the perfect blue print for all subcontinent batsmen to succeed in TEST CRICKET.

banindfan
March 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
Ponting didn't retire yet. He didn't say he retired from ODI cricket.

Dravid retired from ODI last year and today he is retiring from Test cricket.

FYI...Ricky Potning was dropped from ODI squad THATS WHY DID NOT GET THE LIVE SERVICE

banindfan
March 11, 2012, 10:21 PM
one of my favourite indian batsman . Only the best in the business can match his flicks of the wrists and those scorching cover drives . Great ambassador for the game , fantastic personality and a role model for upcoming cricketers . Not the greatest talent , but definitely up there with the most hard-working.

Along with that bat he gifted to tamim (2007 world cup , after the bd-ind game) he should have given him a book/lecture on 'controlling one's attitude' . Might have helped tamim a bit.

touchwood