PDA

View Full Version : Test victory within 18 months

Optimist
March 8, 2004, 03:20 PM
Kenya's 'Next assignment'

Moles said the next major assignment for Kenya is the Inter-Continental Cup match against Uganda in Kampala in July. Namibia is the other team in the Africa Zone of this newly-introduced four-day competition.

Moles said the Carib Beer Series had provided good experience for the upcoming Intercontinental Cup, being organised by the International Cricket Council (ICC) between Africa, Europe, Asia and the Americas later this year. There are three teams in each of the four zones.

The teams play each other in three-day games in their respective zones and the winner from each region progresses to the semi-finals and final to be held in the United Arab Emirates in November 2004. The winner of the final will play Bangladesh in a Test match in 18 months.

Source: Cricketsafari.com

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by Optimist]

oracle
March 8, 2004, 03:34 PM
oh no ....just realized it's Kenya.

I thought it was test victory for us in 18 months.

Rubu
March 8, 2004, 03:38 PM
i congratulate kenya in advanced for their success. they are the first team to win a test match on the debut.

Optimist
March 8, 2004, 03:42 PM
Agentsmith, I know now why the antidepression drugs sell so well!

FYI, Australia won their very first test match!

Rubu
March 8, 2004, 04:02 PM
FYI, Australia won their very first test match!

yeah, i forgot. it was the very first test match b/t eng and aus. at that time both were debutant. so, that was an exception. yeah, i'm depresed since neo disappeared 5 years ago at england (vs pakinstan)

SS
March 8, 2004, 04:37 PM
omg now Kenya gona bash us again!!!

Mahmood
March 8, 2004, 04:44 PM
Probably not. BD will improve and this might just be the break we needed to register our first win.

Rubu
March 8, 2004, 04:47 PM
considering the recent performance of kenya and us, i can't be so sure. unless we can do one thing: postpone the match until steave tikolo, moris odumbe and asif khan retires.

Zobair
March 8, 2004, 04:57 PM
Kenya, or whoever (from that tournament) plays with us in 18 months, will lose inside of 4 days. No doubt about it in my mind!

Navarene
March 8, 2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by pompous
Kenya, or whoever (from that tournament) plays with us in 18 months, will lose inside of 4 days. No doubt about it in my mind!

you made my day! wish I could wake up some day from my deep slumber and find pompous' mantic words are happening in real!

Mahmood
March 8, 2004, 06:30 PM
Well it has to become true. More new players are coming out, kids are being trained and raised for cricket.

In 18 months, we will have 3-4 new players (probably Nasif, Afrab, Enamul etc) playig for BD regularly. Imagine the U-15 players when they reach 21, how much cricket sense they will have!!!

Optimist
March 8, 2004, 08:39 PM
Here is the schedule for the ICC Intercontinental cup.

2004 ICC Intercontinental Cup

Fixtures

DateMatchVenue

25-27 March Nepal vs UAE (Sharjah)

23-25 April Nepal vs Malaysia (Kathmandu)

Namibia vs Uganda (Windhoek)

28-30 May USA vs Canada (Florida)

11-13 June Scotland vs Holland (Scotland)

3-5 July Uganda vs Kenya (Kampala)

13-15 July Bermuda vs USA (Bermuda)

Holland vs Ireland (Holland)

6-8 August Ireland vs Scotland (Ireland)

13-15 August Malaysia vs UAE (Kuala Lumpur)

Canada vs Bermuda (Toronta)

16-23 November Semifinals/Final (UAE)

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Optimist]

AsifTheManRahman
March 8, 2004, 09:24 PM
This is a GRRREEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAT step that the ICC are taking! I really appreciate it since it will give the developing nations some chance to get acquainted with the longer version of the game before they get the test status....
However, I too believe that we are looking forward to nothing but another humiliation in 18 months...:(

Nasif
March 8, 2004, 11:33 PM
I don't blame anyone for being so pesimistic. But the truth is Kenya will have to prove how good they are in longer version, until then I will be optimistic.

rafiq
March 9, 2004, 12:37 AM
what does it mean - the winner will play Bangladesh in a test match in 18 months? How can it be a test match?

Rho
March 9, 2004, 02:13 AM
when will Bangladesh be as good as Kenya? will Bangladesh win a test match in 18 months?

Hasib
March 9, 2004, 03:23 AM
test and ODi cricket r differeant sports in reality. the kenyans batsmen r less use to bangladesh in playing long innings. Besides we have a few new faces in the team and will hav others, Allahr-rahmatha. Inshallah we should be able to win.

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Hasib]

sage
March 9, 2004, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by AgentSmith
i congratulate kenya in advanced for their success. they are the first team to win a test match on the debut.

We will see....If BD win, Are you going to apologize??:fanflag:

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by sage]

fy288
March 9, 2004, 06:59 AM
Bangladesh will prove too strong for the Kenyans, although alot of pressure will be on Bangladesh. Do u think that they may relegate Bangladesh from the elite 10 test playing nations and promote Kenya if BD lose?

:info: :info: :info:

bhobishshot
March 9, 2004, 12:29 PM
I have not seen this proposed test match between BD and Kenya anywhere in ICC website. There is information about the intercontinental cup in ICC site but it does not mention anything about the proposed test match. This proposed match only exsits in the cricketsafari website.

Even if it was true, I don't understand all these fear expressed by some of the members in this board. It is true that we have lost to Kenya and Canada in ODI. But, I think we are better than Kenya now. That does not mean that we will not lose against them, but if we play a sereis of 5 or so ODIs, I am confident we will win majority of the games.

As for the future, we will dominate against the Kenyan. I say this looking at the results of BD U19 performance. Kenya did not even make it to the tournament. They have lost to Uganda and Uganda was one of the worst performer in the tournament. A quotation from the article "Bangladesh's day of reckoning" really speaks my mind:

"They had overcome the youth team of the world's most scientifically nurtured cricket nation who enjoy the support of every possible facility and guidance mother earth has to offer. It was a massive statement of Bangladesh cricket's potential."

Some will say this is biased because the guy is a Bangladeshi, but no one can deny the fact the Aussies are the "most scientifically nurtured cricket nation" and they do get the best support possible.

In addition to that, as some of the members have mentioned, longer version is different from ODIs, and we have never played Kenya in the longer version of the game. We have seen some sparks in the BD team (in the long version) in the recent past. Our performance has come down some what, but thats the way it is. No body can perform at thier peak all the time. Both individual players and the team goes through peaks and valleys in their performance curve. The difference between us and the rest of the test playing nations are that their valleys are higher than our peaks most of the time, and occasionally it gets very close and that is when we see resulsts such as the Pakistan series. We will get out of this current bottom and start to climb, make a new peak, and we will come down again. At that time we will have to make sure that this bottom is higher than the previous bottom.

I don't think we will win a test match in the near future (I will be happy if we do), but I certainly think that we will start to show signs of competitiveness. But that is against the test playing countries. Against Kenya, I am confident that we will beat them, it might be tough, but we can do it. If we meet them two years from now, there is no question in my mind that we will beat them.

Optimist
March 9, 2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by bhobishshot

we have never played Kenya in the longer version of the game.

We have played longer version games against Kenya both in Kenya and in Bangladesh. I can't remember the exact scores. But in Kenya we were bundled out for a pretty low score in the first innings before scoring 300+ in the second innings. In Bangladesh, probably Bangladesh dominated. But in most of the matches our top order was obliterated and then Minhazul Abedin and Enamul Hoque propped up our tail. Kenya generally struggled against our spinners.

Optimist
March 9, 2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by bhobishshot

if we play a sereis of 5 or so ODIs, I am confident we will win majority of the games.

May be it will be true in "bhobibshot" but based on all current statistics it does not seem realistic.

rafiq
March 9, 2004, 01:00 PM
some of the members should remember that you don't have a TEST match when a test team (BD) plays a non-test team, Kenya in a 4 or 5 day match. You could have an "unoffical test" of 5 days. Kenya and other up and coming teams playing each other in a tournament to have the right to play bangladesh is nothing for us to get excited about. We must be bored - it's raining in Zimbabwe. And Kenya aren't strong enough to beat bangladesh over 4 or 5 days. Don't know why such self-inflicted agony.

Rubu
March 9, 2004, 01:18 PM
bangladesh played odi even b4 getting odi status. and also canada or namibia. they do'nt have odi status but played odi because they played against an odi team (in world cup or somewhere else). i'm not sure this is the case here, but it is possible for the same reason that, it would be considered as a test match even tough kenya is not a test playing nation.

rafiq
March 9, 2004, 01:23 PM
AgentSmith, got to run, but in regards to your query about test matches, the short answer is:

NO IT'S NOT

hope others will jump in with more explanations

Warlock
March 9, 2004, 06:11 PM
Tikolo and Odumbe are getting old. We have a good chance. Besides BD players know that such a match with Kenya(?) would be their best shot at winning a test. Surely they are tired of losing!

Rubu
March 9, 2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by rafiq
AgentSmith, got to run, but in regards to your query about test matches, the short answer is:

NO IT'S NOT

hope others will jump in with more explanations

well, i didn't know what the match gonna be. i was just considering possiblities. anyway, i'm waiting for your details. doesn't matter how pasimistically we talk, we all had a hope of winning. is it all bogus?

Zobair
March 9, 2004, 11:04 PM
Here is what I know to the best of my knowledge:

OD is an ODI when two ODI/Test status nations face each other in a series (such as Bangladesh-Zim tour), OR when two nations (their status does not matter) take part in a tournament with ODI status (such as World Cup, Asia Cup etc.).

A OFFICIAL TEST match can only be played between TWO Test-Playing nations! Period! Unless ICC decides to amend the current rules. Its an exclusive club. Thats why there was such hullabaloo (sp.?) when we got Test status. Compare that to the whimper when we got ODI status! :P

bhobishshot
March 10, 2004, 10:28 AM
Optimist,

You need to be a bit more optimistic :D