PDA

View Full Version : Bow to His Kohliness........article by Chinaman_f

zinatf
March 19, 2012, 06:50 AM
Once again our talented member chinaman_f publishes a delightful article on espn cricinfo

India v Pakistan, Asia Cup, Mirpur

Bow to His Kohliness
Bunking classes to watch India-Pakistan? Hell yeah

Fahmim Ferdous
March 19, 2012

http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20120318&t=2&i=584032534&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=CDEE82H1H6E00

It was India versus Pakistan, in Dhaka. That kind of a thing happens literally once in 12 years, and my absolute sweetheart of a friend got hold of two of the most sought-after tickets of the year, through her dad's contacts. I felt the match was more important than my electrical engineering lectures, and to my surprise, I found two of my favourite lecturers from the university in the same gallery as me.

Team supported
Pakistan, because their win would allow Bangladesh a slightly easier equation to reach the finals. Though, I would have supported Pakistan regardless.

Key performer
Virat Kohli. The man, bursting with confidence from a dream run, was a class apart. To me he resembled a mountaineer - focussed, gritty, and determined to keep going no matter what the circumstance. The strength of his mind outdid his muscles by a fair margin, which was something, given the muscle-power on display. In the end, he did justice to his name, getting too "Virat" (Hindi/Bangla for "big") for Pakistan.

One thing I'd have changed
Wahab Riaz's lunch menu. Or the DVD he watched the night before. Or maybe the alignment of his bowling shoulder a little bit to the left, so that all those deliveries down the leg side would have been on line. Hard to believe it was the same guy who took a five-for the last time these two sides met.

Face-off you relished
Saeed Ajmal v Sachin Tendulkar. Sachin looked like his old self against the seamers, timing everything exquisitely. But against Ajmal he stumbled, more than once, and was eventually outfoxed by his doosra.

Wow moment
Suresh Raina pulled off a Paul Collingwood-ish blinder at cover to send a dangerous-looking Younis Khan back. If he loses his touch with the bat, Raina can certainly audition for the position of "Seeker" in any Quidditch team.

Close encounter
Praveen Kumar fielded near where we were sitting, and he got heckled for his name, which when translated to Bangla means "elderly bachelor".

Close encounter II
I met the Indian supporter who claims to be Sachin's biggest fan, and backs it up with his action. His face and torso were painted perfectly in the India colours, and "Sachin" was written on his back. He was blowing a conch shell and wielding a huge Indian tricolour flag. He is such a common sight at India's games worldwide, and it was good to have him at our gallery.

Shot of the day
Tendulkar's upper-cut off Aizaz Cheema in the fifth over was like a maestro doing a quick encore of one of his oldest, most famous classic sonatas. It was a moment to reminisce on a bad day - that I have seen Tendulkar hit a bowler for six over the keeper's head will surely cheer me up no matter how low I may be feeling!

Crowd meter
Despite it being the first weekday, the stands were packed long before offices closed. The atmosphere was festive, upbeat and dynamic. Pakistan were narrow favourites, especially because a victory for them would pretty much shut India out of the final, and open it up for Bangladesh. The loudest cheers, very predictably, went up for the two most loved characters of the game in this part of the world - Tendulkar and Shahid Afridi.

Accessories
With too many restrictions on what we could take into the stadium premises, all we managed was my friend's little camera, whose lens covered just us and the wide-angle shots of the grounds.

Overall
It was a high-scoring encounter, had three centuries, and a stunner of a catch. Not much more to expect from an ODI. The atmosphere in the stands was scintillating and the weather just about perfect. Can't complain, unless you're a hardcore Pakistan supporter. Then again, the players have themselves to blame for the defeat.

Marks out of 10
The game would get an 8.5 from me, the deductions being for Pakistan's listless bowling and fielding efforts, and the overall toothless-ness of the Indian bowling attack.

Fahmim Ferdous is an electrical engineering student-cum-wannabe sports reporter-cum-news presenter and radio jockey-cum-bicycling enthusiast, who is living a good life. There was a time he idolised Brad Hogg, but now he wants to be the next Harsha Bhogle. His biggest regret in life is never getting to watch Shane Warne live on field.

chinaman_f
March 19, 2012, 06:56 AM
thank you so very much Zinat :) but shouldn't this be more appropriate in Just Cricket? 'Cause it's not strictly related to Bangladesh Cricket. Dunno, mods could tell better. But thanks a ton :)

zinatf
March 19, 2012, 07:00 AM
well...depends on the mods now where to shift this thread.....I've done my job....tumi patta na dile ki hobe miya...amra to thiki khoj rakhi....

Navo
March 19, 2012, 07:00 AM
^ Great article Chinaman_f. Liked the part about auditioning as a Seeker. Going to go watch a highlight of that again!

Jadukor
March 19, 2012, 07:06 AM
Great stuff chinaman_f. Awesome title btw

BANFAN
March 19, 2012, 07:09 AM
Happy to see your article chinaman.... Thanks for the write up... Very nice read...

Ohhh... Liked the title...:)

Naimul_Hd
March 19, 2012, 07:10 AM
nice one fahmim.

Rifat H
March 19, 2012, 08:04 AM
Nice article !!

akabir77
March 19, 2012, 08:36 AM
Nice article.

playmaker
March 19, 2012, 08:51 AM
wonder what is this thread doing in this section??

no discussion about kohli here, afterall this bd cric section and to add to that this guy scored a half century against us!!

Night_wolf
March 19, 2012, 08:53 AM
thank you so very much Zinat :) but shouldn't this be more appropriate in Just Cricket? 'Cause it's not strictly related to Bangladesh Cricket. Dunno, mods could tell better. But thanks a ton :)

ager moto post korona keno?..busy naki exam niye?

MohammedC
March 19, 2012, 09:23 AM
Good one fahmim

roman
March 19, 2012, 09:51 AM
Good read. Want to see you more in BC

Zeeshan
March 19, 2012, 11:01 AM
Great read bro.

AsifTheManRahman
March 19, 2012, 11:08 AM
The guy is IMMENSELY talented and I'm sure extremely hard-working too. Has led the U-19 team to glory in the past and I'm sure will lead India soon.

Navo
March 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
Kintu Asif bhai, or to matha ektu beshi gorom? O ki bhabchei, khub shohojei bujha jai. Dhoni's captaincy isn't always great but he rarely looks flustered - a quality you often need to lead a side, particularly a side with as much pressure on it as India

zsayeed
March 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
Now you know how important was Razzak's dismissal of Kohli on March 16th.

Dilscoop
March 19, 2012, 01:56 PM
Nice C_f! How many is that? 3rd?
--------------

If someone from Bangladesh scored 180 runs, and chased down 300+ scores twice within a month, I wouldn't care about the temperature of his head. He is not a leader by a "tag," but he did lead the team to victory.

And he didn't show finger to the "fans." He showed it to the Aus fans who were abusing him. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do. As a pro, he has to learn how to not get involved like that. But he isn't the first one to show the fingers to the fans. Many other athletes have done it.

zsayeed
March 19, 2012, 01:58 PM
Nice C_f!

And if someone from Bangladesh scored 183, and chased down 300+ scores twice with in a month, I wouldn't care about the temperature of his head.

And he didn't show finger to the "fans." He showed it to the Aus fans who were abusing him. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do. As a pro, he has to learn how to not get involved like that. But he isn't the first one to show the fingers to the fans. Many other athletes have done it.

Aah there' the rub
Point made.

And that proves what exactly?

Long Live Machiavelli

Dilscoop
March 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
http://www.sheetudeep.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/david.jpg

And many more!

Hell, even Shakib showed it, to his own "fans." So?

zsayeed
March 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
And then he goes off on the other teammates and umpires as well. c.f: Kohli Reprimanded (http://www.mumbaimirror.com/index.aspx?page=article&sectid=59&contentid=2011120720111207022133187ddebb08)
http://cms.mumbaimirror.com/Repository/1/publish/59/201112/2011120720111207022133187ddebb08_20111206234613858 42370384_pic_original.jpg

Dilscoop
March 19, 2012, 04:41 PM
Proves that it's no biggie. Get over it? It's ok being a o-shanto chele? Not everyone has to be a Cool head Dhoni or Sachin? IDK what were trying to prove by his jesters?

------------
And then he goes off on the other teammates and umpires as well. c.f: Kohli Reprimanded (http://www.mumbaimirror.com/index.aspx?page=article&sectid=59&contentid=2011120720111207022133187ddebb08)
http://cms.mumbaimirror.com/Repository/1/publish/59/201112/2011120720111207022133187ddebb08_20111206234613858 42370384_pic_original.jpg
That's a dumb law itself. He stood his ground big whoop. Stop treating INT cricketers like school kids. That is nothing compared to what baseball umpires and players do.

Ajfar
March 19, 2012, 06:26 PM
More big things to come from Kholi. If he keeps this up he maybe next in line to replace Dhoni instead of Gambhir, which will be a bad idea I think. I think he will make a good captain later on down the line.

Good read Fahmim bhai.

zsayeed
March 19, 2012, 08:39 PM
Proves that it's no biggie. Get over it? It's ok being a o-shanto chele? Not everyone has to be a Cool head Dhoni or Sachin? IDK what were trying to prove by his jesters?

------------

That's a dumb law itself. He stood his ground big whoop. Stop treating INT cricketers like school kids. That is nothing compared to what baseball umpires and players do.

Now the Law is dumb?
I am stating he is no leader material. To lead need to have a cool head.
And 'Big Whoop' is not an argument. :)

riankhan
March 19, 2012, 11:33 PM
Well written Chinaman, enjoyed it :up:

Dilscoop
March 20, 2012, 12:43 AM
I am stating he is no leader material. To lead need to have a cool head.
Ricky Pointing, one of the hottest heads ever is one of the most successful captains ever. I D K which law book says that you need to be "ice cool head" to become a leader. To become a leader you have to LEARD, has nothing to do with how hot or cold you are.

zsayeed
March 20, 2012, 12:48 AM
Dilscoop, one more answer and then I am dropping this. Just compare Patton and Omar Bradley. That should suffice.

Dilscoop
March 20, 2012, 01:01 AM
r e a l l y? That's where you draw the last line? Just drop in some names...

Well I can't have any discussion with you like that, only time will tell and so we wait. But before I leave, I wanna point out, Virat Kohli was the U19 captain, and he won the U19 WC trophy. Just a thought to keep your mind busy.

Jadukor
March 20, 2012, 01:15 AM
So it's pretty clear isn't it... I won that argument. :-D

Kohli has more or less silenced all his critics with the bat. It would be interesting to see how he converts his ODI form in the Test matches.

Dilscoop
March 20, 2012, 03:02 PM
"When Tendulkar makes a century, India looses the match. When Kohli makes a century, India are out of the tournament"

That's a hot sentence going around...

cricheart
March 20, 2012, 03:53 PM
This discussion above somehow remind me this WC incident between Rubel and Kohli. They seems enjoyed that "[]" moment.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0GJkcy2HOp4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

zsayeed
March 20, 2012, 06:41 PM
This discussion above somehow remind me this WC incident between Rubel and Kohli. They seems enjoyed that "[]" moment.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0GJkcy2HOp4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Commy makes innocent - "Lip reading? Know what they were saying?"
Exactly, Kohli has no class. Rubel rey bon niya galagali. :facepalm:
Poor Rubel.

zsayeed
March 20, 2012, 06:42 PM
"When Tendulkar makes a century, India looses the match. When Kohli makes a century, India are out of the tournament"

That's a hot sentence going around...

:floor::floor::floor:

148. Koheli Knocks Knock India Out of Tournaments (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=1497973&postcount=163)

Karma boley to ekta jinish achey! The world will come back to bite whenever harsh words are spoken.

zinatf
March 20, 2012, 10:07 PM
Insha Allah there will be a day when Fahmim will write a similar article with the heading bow to the tigers!!!

chinaman_f
March 21, 2012, 12:24 AM
thanks you all so very much for all your appreciation! I had a slight fear that the Kohli debate might be stirred up here :/ For the clarification, I did NOT give that title. I suggested: Kohli gets too "Virat" on Nemeses. Damn those Indian editors, making me sound like an Indian supporter :P

And, errr............ I'm sorry I don't post too much on this forum anymore. I'll be frank, there are a few elements of discomfort that keeps me from actively participating in discussions. I go through the "New Posts" from time to time, though.

BANFAN
March 21, 2012, 03:09 AM
thanks you all so very much for all your appreciation! I had a slight fear that the Kohli debate might be stirred up here :/ For the clarification, I did NOT give that title. I suggested: Kohli gets too "Virat" on Nemeses. Damn those Indian editors, making me sound like an Indian supporter :P

And, errr............ I'm sorry I don't post too much on this forum anymore. I'll be frank, there are a few elements of discomfort that keeps me from actively participating in discussions. I go through the "New Posts" from time to time, though.

Would love to see you coming back and participating regularly. As an Ash fan, you certainly will feel uncomfortable ....that's an unfortunate situation created by very few. But I'm sure as a fan of BD cricket you can handle that and shut them in due course of time. .... Keep writing...

chinaman_f
March 21, 2012, 08:32 AM
It's not about being an Ashraful fan, Banfan bhai. I am not blind, intolerant or irrational. It's jsut that, sadly, the overall experience was not the smoothest for my short stay of high-activity. Never mind. I am always with Bangladesh Cricket, and BanglaCricket - in spirit!

I try to join the chat sessions whenever I can :)

Dilscoop
March 21, 2012, 08:56 AM
Hey chinaman, I'm sorry to hear that. I thought you were busy so you weren't as active. I didn't know you weren't enjoying your stay.

The trick is to not take anything personally and lower your posting merit to puberty level. Agree, BC could very well be renamed as Bandwagoners'cricket- home of many wheels. If you dare to step outside these bandwagon, you get pined down. You aren't the only one. IDK if you were here, but you should see some of my early "encounters." The best you can do is to enjoy them go nuts, and take things so seriously, while you sit there and laugh at those numb nuts, or see one bandwagon fight another. But BC isn't the only place. You won't find any sport team that doesn't have any bandwagon. (At one point, I had a sig "I hate bandwagon" but then I realized that made me part of a bandwagon, the non-bandwagoning bandwagon.. so one way or the other, we are all part of some sort of bandwagon).

And there is only on bandwagon now, it's called WINNING or "Jetsi, Jetsi Jetsi." I am sure we can all join that.

But there are many other members here that you can have decent conversations with. So you should come here for them.

zsayeed
March 21, 2012, 11:40 AM

That was a nice title you had. This one does sound too holier-than-though.
Hence my attempt to bring him down to reality.
My intent was not to critique the writing, but critique the person in the title.

cricheart
March 30, 2012, 06:47 PM
I couldn't resist adding this cricinfo cartoon with this thread, describes perfect commenting-
http://www.espncricinfo.com/inline/content/image/558164.jpg

Zeeshan
April 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
It's not about being an Ashraful fan, Banfan bhai. I am not blind, intolerant or irrational. It's jsut that, sadly, the overall experience was not the smoothest for my short stay of high-activity. Never mind. I am always with Bangladesh Cricket, and BanglaCricket - in spirit!

I try to join the chat sessions whenever I can :)

As myself, everyone from staffs, mods, admins and of course lay members come from diverse background and because of this very diversity this forum is one of the most tolerant I have seen. I am sure many of us have found ourselves in your shoe, perhaps, as a lone voice, but you do realize that there is a Suggestion Box as well as the privilege to contact any admins or mods to voice out your concern.

I am writing this because I for one would really miss your witty and classy posts which you shared with us during your short stay. But as I have myself noticed alienating oneself is definitely not the answer, rather a way to cop out. Then again it's up to you. :)

*passes the mic to Zunaid*

mar umpire
April 15, 2012, 01:48 AM
Hey chinaman, I'm sorry to hear that. I thought you were busy so you weren't as active. I didn't know you weren't enjoying your stay.

The trick is to not take anything personally and lower your posting merit to puberty level. Agree, BC could very well be renamed as Bandwagoners'cricket- home of many wheels. If you dare to step outside these bandwagon, you get pined down. You aren't the only one. IDK if you were here, but you should see some of my early "encounters." The best you can do is to enjoy them go nuts, and take things so seriously, while you sit there and laugh at those numb nuts, or see one bandwagon fight another. But BC isn't the only place. You won't find any sport team that doesn't have any bandwagon. (At one point, I had a sig "I hate bandwagon" but then I realized that made me part of a bandwagon, the non-bandwagoning bandwagon.. so one way or the other, we are all part of some sort of bandwagon).

And there is only on bandwagon now, it's called WINNING or "Jetsi, Jetsi Jetsi." I am sure we can all join that.

But there are many other members here that you can have decent conversations with. So you should come here for them.

Lol exactly
I learned that after my first few posts. If you keep it sensible or even well spoken you'll be an easy target. DOn't take anything seriously, take the mickey out of as much as you can and just keep posting

Naimul_Hd
April 15, 2012, 09:39 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/563533_192854430828567_115853131862031_301567_1512 741178_n.jpg

davros84
April 23, 2012, 08:17 AM
Those two tons IMHO were two of the finest one day knocks ever seen. And to do them in completely different parts of the world was incredible. Creaming toe crunching yorkers from Malinga like swatting flies was awe-inspiring!