PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate Khaled Mahmud Sujon's performance

rafiq
March 10, 2004, 11:02 AM
Khaled Mahmud Sujon comes out of nowhere to seal his place in Bangladesh's cricket legacy by again being part of a rare one day win. Fans remember him for his role in beating Pakistan in the 1999 World Cup. His three wickets then were crucial in that victory.

Today, he had a more mixed performance with the ball, giving up the most runs among BD bowlers on his way to claiming Ervine's wicket. His cameo with the bat, however, was much more substantive, as his 16 ball 22 was exactly what was required to keep the Bangladesh run rate accelerating.

So, what is the verdict? Did Sujon do enough to seal a place on the team for the rest of the ODI series? Or is is bowling too weak to warrant his place on the team? There will be pressure to bring Rana back as well as change the opening combination yet again. But there is a strong possibility Whatmore will leave the winning team intact for the next game.

In any case, Sujon may find himself at the center of debate, in defeat always and now even in victory.

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by rafiq]

Sami
March 10, 2004, 11:07 AM
For now lets just busk in the warmth of the win... good or bad... this same team is playing the next ODI... and I for one will not complain...

billah
March 10, 2004, 11:16 AM
2 wins in 5 years, he was a factor in both. Amazing. Same for Pilot:flag:

pagol-chagol
March 10, 2004, 11:21 AM
bowling first spell 4 overs 30 runs. I thought we were in trouble. His second spell was very economic. i don't blame him for the last over. That was free swinging time. Overall I am satisfied with his bowling. His second spell was instrumental in getting their rr down. his statline does disservice. His batting was exceptional. That partnership was the real turning point of the game. Having said that I don't think it was logical to include him in the team over Rana. Good Mistake.

billah
March 10, 2004, 11:23 AM
Rana should have been there in Alok's place. Doesn't matter now.:)

pagol-chagol
March 10, 2004, 11:23 AM
ash-shujon partnership made us turn around from sure humiliation. Taposh-Pilot out of Streak was where we won the game. that was the most important ball of the game.:fire:

Pundit
March 10, 2004, 11:26 AM
Yes, lets not try too hard to always argue ! Atleast not today.

- Maybe we should have a hartal over this injustice ?

pagol-chagol
March 10, 2004, 11:28 AM
exactly. This is wedding night. Lets enjoy. We can argue the rest of our lives. :fire::fire::fire::fire::heart::heart:

Piranha
March 10, 2004, 11:32 AM
My verdict: He is alright for now. His role was instrumental in victory, thought not a very major role. I dont mind seeing him stick around for a few more ODIs. In the longer run, Rana rightfully deserves the Shujon spot.
Congrats to sujon. He has proven me somehwat wrong, and I am happy for it.

pagol-chagol
March 10, 2004, 01:25 PM
The real question is:

Do we have to wait another 5 years for him to perform like this again?:info:

One game should not make a player.

Optimist
March 10, 2004, 01:37 PM
If you have forgotten by any chance........Shariyar was there when we won against Pakistan! I don't mind who plays as long as we win!

Rubu
March 10, 2004, 02:02 PM
right now, for the first test, i'd like to have alok changed by rana. and sujon intact for the 4th odi. alok gonna need a break to come back with his form. meanwhile there is gap that can be filled up my other team members in some combinations. then, we can look to the future team depending on these performances and forms. both rana, sujon, alok, hannan...
anyway, cheers to all.
i was so happy to be wrong about sujon on this game.

pagol-chagol
March 10, 2004, 02:24 PM
The first 3 overs of Alok were excellent. Only gave up 10 runs. could have been less without couple of fielding mistakes. His 4th over was bad. Gave up 8 runs. Not in control. Basher masterfully removed him after that.