PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh outlaws malt 'beers'

reverse_swing
March 10, 2004, 12:20 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39871000/jpg/_39871353_banglacanandbeer.jpg
Bangladesh has banned two malt beverages that found a loophole in the Islamic country's bar on alcoholic drinks.
Police started confiscating cans of the drink on Thursday after the maker's licence was revoked.

The two brands, Crown and Hunter, have a maximum alcohol content of 4.8% and so were legally defined as malt beverages.

The ban follows a BBC News Online article two weeks ago.

The home ministry ordered Crown Beverages Limited to stop production and ordered police to seize the two brands from stores.

Nearly 50,000 cans, which bear a striking resemblance to famous international beer brands, were confiscated in just one night of raids and police said the action would continue.
-BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3537369.stm)

Arnab
March 10, 2004, 12:50 PM
hahaha...Energy Drink with arabic Scriptures...almost genius.

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by Arnab]

Shubho
March 11, 2004, 12:57 AM
This marketing scam by Crown and Hunter is a classic. Almost tops Aromatic Beauty Soap ads of a few years ago. Remember? "Eksho bhaag halal shaban". WTF is 'halal shaban' anyway?

Hasib
March 11, 2004, 01:38 AM
I fu don't live in a non-islamic country u wouldn't know. but soaps sometimes contain animal fats. which is why in non-islamic countries u shud be careful.

Shubho
March 11, 2004, 02:50 AM
sorry to disappoint you mate, but there is no such thing as halal soap, and there never will be. it was just a cheap marketing ploy. and soap manufacturers (i'm talking about body soap) switched to plant extracts for their ingredients many, many years ago. just goes to show that muslims can be pretty easy marketing victims. they think they are being more pious by scrubbing their bodies with aromatic beauty soap? please!

Hasib
March 11, 2004, 03:21 AM
I know its a marketing ploy... but there can be haram soap well... in fact in many halal guides in Aus some soap brands arn't listed.

acker
March 12, 2004, 12:07 AM
So if the "malt beverage's" were 3.5% alcohol , would they then just be defined as malt drinks.
Maybe their is a big market in Bangladesh for Castlemaine Perkins XXXX Gold.

Shubho
March 12, 2004, 01:28 PM
outlawing malt beverages is the biggest waste of time. there is too much substance abuse as it is in our country. banning beer means that people will just revert to 'bangla modh' or phensidyl or whatever it is they have been using or abusing.

Ockey
March 19, 2004, 01:54 PM
I know its a marketing ploy... but there can be haram soap well... in fact in many halal guides in Aus some soap brands arn't listed.

Hasib:
You claim there is "haram soap". I have heard of the concept in NYC and some of the other cities in the US. I have been asking around and no one seems to know why soaps are haram if in fact they do you use animal fat as you say they do. Are you assuming that animal fat constitues pig fat and somehow we are not suppose use soap that has an ingridiant from an animal that is haraam to eat? If not what is rationale for not using "haraam soap". Can you refer me to the Hadith that deals with this issue? Have you actually looked into the brands that are not on this "guide" to make sure they do in fact use animal fact in the soap manufacturing process?

Can someone else shed some light on the matter?

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by Ockey]