PDA

View Full Version : Should we be worried about the players' weight problem?

Roey Haque
March 28, 2012, 01:07 PM
Ayo,

What's popping Tiger fans? Still enjoying the victory buzz? I love it when we beat India. Breaking the hearts of a billion is sure fun.

Anyway, here's the thing. I'm worried about Tamim's and Mortaza's burgeoning weight. In Tamim's case, I'm willing to overlook, boundaries are his forte afterall, and he has some fat genes embedded in him , being the nephew of Akram Khan.

But Mashrafe's bowling ability might be hampered because of his weight. Yeah, he did good in Asia Cup, but a true fan looks at all points of contentions, even amidst victory. So while Mashrafe continues to be dedicated in his efforts, and hopefully keeps doing well, his weight will catch up with him, and not in a good way.

Our team nutritionist bust be looked into. What diet is he/she giving our players? Masharafe should cut back on the biryani,coke, and Tangail sweets, and hop on the treadmill a bit more often.

Peace out,

Roey

AsifTheManRahman
March 28, 2012, 01:15 PM
A few extra pounds might be ok as long as they don't affect stamina. Look at the Aussies and some of the Saffers. Look at Hayden - muscle under fat. Tamim does seem to tire quickly, so he needs to work on that and losing some weight or quitting smoking might help.

Everyone is different and it's all about the stamina. Ranatunga never ran out of breath, while running himself out was all that Inzy ever did, besides scoring a gazillion runs.

Roey Haque
March 28, 2012, 01:24 PM
Tamim does seem to tire quickly, so he needs to work on that and losing some weight or quitting smoking might help.

Tamim smokes? Oh shyt. Thanks a lot, now this gives me more reason not to quit.

But what about Mortaza? You just describe the batsmen, and as I've said before it is a lesser problem for them. For bowlers, it's far more serious, as it slows you down, affecting your rhythm.

AsifTheManRahman
March 28, 2012, 01:31 PM
I'd have Darren Gough open the bowling for us any day.

zsayeed
March 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
Well, interesting point Roey.

So I did an analysis...
for the last 10 years I looked at the players who were less than 22 (Tamim just turned 23) who have played against G8 nations an batted at pos 1 to 7 and have more than 500 runs to their name.
I then calculated what percentage of their runs were run (they actually ran between the wickets) as a function of their total runs earned... this I label as '123/TotalRuns'. It shows a matter of mentality, work ethic, rotating the strike, fitness.

Here is the table, Tamim does not fare well.... And in the whole world, our Roq is the hardest young worker!

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/zsayeed/earned.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/zsayeed/earnedtab-1.jpg

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?agemax1=22;ageval1=age;batting_position max2=7;batting_positionmin2=1;batting_positionval2 =batting_position;class=2;filter=advanced;oppositi on=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposi tion=5;opposition=6;opposition=8;orderby=batting_a verage;qualmin1=500;qualval1=runs;spanmax1=28+Mar+ 2012;spanmin1=28+Mar+2002;spanval1=span;template=r esults;type=batting

55% of Tamim's Runs are from boundaries. Compare that to Shakib's 37% and Roq's 28%.

Roey Haque
March 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
Great analysis. You could be the team statistician. So yeah, basically this proves my point, that Tamim will be able to evade his weight problems, due to his high boundary rate.

But the revelation on Roqibul. Amazing stuff! This combined with your previous analysis on batting under pressure, in which Roqibul did well too,I'm really beginning to consider whether he deserves a recall. But in the middle, I saw him in one of the series, and his confidence was totally shattered, don't know what happened. But before that he was a rock.Even when the team faltered around him, you could bank on him to surpass 30. Easy.

If the Rock does get his chance, I hope he makes full use of it.

Peace out,

Roey

Zeeshan
March 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
Ayo,

yo yoy o wassup homeschizzle

What's popping Tiger fans? Still enjoying the victory buzz? I love it when we beat India. Breaking the hearts of a billion is sure fun.yo wahts cracking daug yo yo yo...yes we are still enjoying the victory buzz. stoned dude.

Anyway, here's the thing. I'm worried about Tamim's and Mortaza's burgeoning weight.
made me look up the word

In Tamim's case, I'm willing to overlook, boundaries are his forte afterall, and he has some fat genes embedded in him , being the nephew of Akram Khan.
I'm willing to overlook too. He is a fort holder.

But Mashrafe's bowling ability might be hampered because of his weight. Yeah, he did good in Asia Cup, but a true fan looks at all points of contentions, even amidst victory. So while Mashrafe continues to be dedicated in his efforts, and hopefully keeps doing well, his weight will catch up with him, and not in a good way.
You write so eloquently! Is that really you behind the mic? :big_hug:

Our team nutritionist bust be looked into. What diet is he/she giving our players? Masharafe should cut back on the biryani,coke, and Tangail sweets, and hop on the treadmill a bit more often.
Absolutely agree. I wonder if they ever do treadmill. And love Tangali sweets. :big_hug:

Peace out,

RoeySee you soon Roey bhai.

Night_wolf
March 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
made me look up the word

OMG 2012 really is the end of the world:wow:

TIKBoss
March 28, 2012, 01:51 PM
hayden was a beast with muscles, he could mistime the ball or even hit one handed for six. tamim is not that strong, he needs to lose weight and build muscles to hit more sixes.

zsayeed
March 28, 2012, 01:54 PM
Now,

If I took the age limit out and looked at openers only in the last 10 years against G8 only and see what the actual runs-ran/Total run is, Tamim does worse in the running between wickets then his slightly older compatriots.

(Minimum 500 runs to qualify to be on this table as well).

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/zsayeed/0-40.jpg
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/zsayeed/41-50.jpg

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_positionmax2=2;batting_position min2=1;batting_positionval2=batting_position;class =2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;oppos ition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opp osition=8;orderby=batting_average;qualmin1=500;qua lval1=runs;spanmax1=28+Mar+2012;spanmin1=28+Mar+20 02;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

zsayeed
March 28, 2012, 02:07 PM
Great analysis. You could be the team statistician. So yeah, basically this proves my point, that Tamim will be able to evade his weight problems, due to his high boundary rate.

But the revelation on Roqibul. Amazing stuff! This combined with your previous analysis on batting under pressure, in which Roqibul did well too,I'm really beginning to consider whether he deserves a recall. But in the middle, I saw him in one of the series, and his confidence was totally shattered, don't know what happened. But before that he was a rock.Even when the team faltered around him, you could bank on him to surpass 30. Easy.

If the Rock does get his chance, I hope he makes full use of it.

Peace out,

Roey

Thanks Bro, It does seem Roq is solid and hard working.
In fact when I do the analysis for the last two years Naeem Islam stands out earning 69% of his runs between the wickets. Tamim in the last two years have averaged 52% running btw wickets. Imrul is higher in the ranking than Tamim and has a decent average as well against G8s.http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_positionmax1=2;batting_position min1=1;batting_positionval1=batting_position;class =2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;oppos ition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opp osition=8;orderby=batting_average;spanmax2=28+Mar+ 2012;spanmin2=28+Mar+2010;spanval2=span;template=r esults;type=batting

Roey Haque
March 28, 2012, 02:22 PM
You write so eloquently! Is that really you behind the mic? :big_hug:

Thanks. But is there a contradictory relationship between writing well and rapping I'm missing out on? If anything, it would make sense for one to excel at both, as both arts require a pleasing prose and vocab.

Peace out,

Roey

zsayeed
March 28, 2012, 02:31 PM
Okay, Now zooming in on Tamim's evolution of runs ran over total run percentage (the higher the ratio the more running between wickets). I also plot his average's progression over the seasons in red.

His running between the wickets and average are 54.51% correlated. If he learns to run between the wickets he will increase his average in moderate likelihood (but we should know that about any batsmen, but in Tami'ms case this is a deficiency with room for growth). In fact, for the last three years his running between the wickets and average are 80% correlated! That should make the message quite lucid.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/zsayeed/tamiavg123.jpg

Bottom Line - Work on your fitness and run!

Run Forrest Tamim Run....

Roey Haque
March 28, 2012, 02:38 PM
Okay, Now zooming in on Tamim's evolution of runs ran over total run percentage (the higher the more running/between wickets). I also plot his average's progression over the seasons in red. His running between the wickets and average are 54.51% correlated. If he learns to run between the wickets he will increase his average in moderate likelihood (but we should know that about any batsmen, but in Tami's case this is a deficiency with room for growth).

LOL, zsayeed. You keep proving my point further and further. Thanks to you, it is now established beyond doubt, Tamim is paying the price because of his weight. His inherent skills may hide that fact well for months, even years. But it has to be put at a stop sometime in his career. I wonder if the team statistician and nutritionist follow this forum or not, but if they do, they should take a look at this thread and pay heed to the ominous signs.

Solid work once again. Many thanks.

Peace out,

Roey

zsayeed
March 28, 2012, 02:44 PM
LOL, zsayeed. You keep proving my point further and further. Thanks to you, it is now established beyond doubt, Tamim is paying the price because of his weight. His inherent skills may hide that fact well for months, even years. But it has to be put at a stop sometime in his career. I wonder if the team statistician and nutritionist follow this forum or not, but if they do, they should take a look at this thread and pay heed to the ominous signs.

Solid work once again. Many thanks.

Peace out,

Roey

Thanks!
Also get back to the lifestyle, training, nutritionist that was there in 2009 season. What happened in his personal, professional life off the field at that time?

mufi_02
March 28, 2012, 02:58 PM
Wow, the thread suddenly became very intelligent with zsayeed bhai's analysis. Bhai, I am tempted to ask now. I know you have a PhD. In statistics?

This data mining reminds of the movie Moneyball. If only we could apply this numbers into real life performances.

zsayeed
March 28, 2012, 03:05 PM
Wow, the thread suddenly became very intelligent with zsayeed bhai's analysis. Bhai, I am tempted to ask now. I know you have a PhD. In statistics?

This data mining reminds of the movie Moneyball. If only we could apply this numbers into real life performances.

No My PhD is in EE, especially in Statistical Signal Processing area which is basically oodles of Statistics, Kalman Filtering, Estimation, Maximum Likelihood Analysis.

Thanks Brother.

Too bad I don't have Tamim's weight, BP and Hearrt Rate year over year - then we could really hone in.
And add to that the Girl-Friend factor and number of trips abroad...:) JKing :)

We could really design the ultimate player! Designer Player!....ummm Eugenics.

mufi_02
March 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
Sayeed bhai, the numbers speak volumes. I haven't seen running between the wicket statistics like this before. You also have other such analysis in different threads. If I were you, I would compile them all together and email it to BCB or the team's statistician. Maybe we can publish in BC and other daily newspapers too. Just my thought. It will just bother me to have this valuable data and not do anything with it.

Equinox
March 28, 2012, 04:39 PM
Tamim is the only worry. Mash's issues with his weight are recurring. He looked fine to me in the Asia Cup but with his team out of the DPL and with no cricket for months I'm just worried that his infamous bhuri might be making a comeback for the Zimbabwe series. The rest of the players are fine although some could do with gaining a few pounds.

zsayeed
March 28, 2012, 05:03 PM
Sayeed bhai, the numbers speak volumes. I haven't seen running between the wicket statistics like this before. You also have other such analysis in different threads. If I were you, I would compile them all together and email it to BCB or the team's statistician. Maybe we can publish in BC and other daily newspapers too. Just my thought. It will just bother me to have this valuable data and not do anything with it.

If you guy's can give me a pointer as to who would listen I would be happy to be able to disseminate. Any suggestions? I can do a write-up and then send it over to the person through whoever is kind enough to connect. Thanks a lot for your encouragement.

In fact I could augment the analysis by looking at probabilities of growth based on the above observations. A sort of prediction if you will, with caveats of course. Perhaps look at other BD and non -BD players to bolster the analysis.

simon
March 28, 2012, 05:12 PM
shouldn't we rather talk abt under weight.
except Mash,TI & Ryad(who is very properly built) no one to be concerned for over weight.
Shafi,Rubel,Nasir,Sakib,Jahurul & many others look way to slim next to players from other countries.
I feel like they need to eat & build some muscles.

TIKBoss
March 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
look at player's from other countries who hit six with ease like watson, gayle. even warner who isnt a big guy but hits huge sixes easily one of the reasons is because he has strong muscles.

zsayeed
March 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
^^Shakib, Imrul, Roq, Junaid is quite fit if you look at post 5 with good running between the wickets.
They do not have any problem from endurance as we see from data over the long run and also from visual observations. Some time visual observations may be prejudiced - but when you look at un-emotional data, then it becomes clear they have no problems. It is not weight per say that creates an issue - it is how you endure.

zsayeed
March 28, 2012, 05:27 PM
look at player's from other countries who hit six with ease like watson, gayle. even warner who isnt a big guy but hits huge sixes easily one of the reasons is because he has strong muscles.

Watson has a poorer average than Tamim in running between the wickets - because he can. Watson is at 44.2% and Gayle eve worse - 38.5%. Majority of their runs come from big hitting. That is a different story. It is from their build that they can do that. But Tamim and most Bangladeshi's are not built like that. Whatever the build - it should follow style of play. Tamim would do well to run more between wickets. His performance trend states that.

(Gayle was not in my table because he was too far down the order- also Sehwag is at 35.4%).
I am appending the table above with the rest of the players that I did not post.

TIKBoss
March 28, 2012, 07:08 PM
Watson has a poorer average than Tamim in running between the wickets - because he can. Watson is at 44.2% and Gayle eve worse - 38.5%. Majority of their runs come from big hitting. That is a different story. It is from their build that they can do that. But Tamim and most Bangladeshi's are not built like that. Whatever the build - it should follow style of play. Tamim would do well to run more between wickets. His performance trend states that.

(Gayle was not in my table because he was too far down the order- also Sehwag is at 35.4%).
I am appending the table above with the rest of the players that I did not post.

yea i was just saying if tamim was built like those guys then he could afford to not run as many singles.. but since he isnt he should improve his fitness.

TigerEz
March 28, 2012, 08:05 PM
at a time to open this thread! just when i figured out im fat!!!! no girls want me anymore:'( this is like someone calling me fat....

but to be on topic,i think its about time we blame our trainer, Grant Luden....this guys needs to make our players work the fat out of themselves.

TIKBoss
March 28, 2012, 08:09 PM
at a time to open this thread! just when i figured out im fat!!!! no girls want me anymore:'( this is like someone calling me fat....

but to be on topic,i think its about time we blame our trainer, Grant Luden....this guys needs to make our players work the fat out of themselves.

is grant luden still our trainer? i'm not sure

Gowza
March 28, 2012, 08:11 PM
hey AB De Villiers is not bad company....but in all seriousness as long as they are fit and healthy and perform i don't care. but i'd agree more singles would benefit tamim, he certianly has the ability i think it's more a mental thing with him, he has n't found that balance between big hitting and singles yet, he loves the big hitting too much right now...

TigerEz
March 28, 2012, 08:56 PM
is grant luden still our trainer? i'm not sure

ya, havent u seen shakibs birthday party pictures?

zinatf
March 28, 2012, 10:20 PM
Zunaid bhai please name zsayeed bhai as the BC statician. What an analysis....waah!!

Nekre thik-i bolso 2012 is really end of the world....seeing zee looking up for a word :-p

zsayeed
March 28, 2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks apu, very kind of you

And thanks Roey for asking such a cool question to get my juices flowing.

Roey Haque
March 28, 2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks apu, very kind of you

And thanks Roey for asking such a cool question to get my juices flowing.

I ask the questions, you provide the numbers. We make a decent team. But in all seriousness, good work again. It must feel empowering to produce all these charts with such rapidity. In business classes we always talk about applications and software to do the necessary evaluations. Well, your work always provides a great example. Cutting edge stuff.

Peace out,

Roey

playmaker
March 29, 2012, 05:26 AM
Well, interesting point Roey.

So I did an analysis...
for the last 10 years I looked at the players who were less than 22 (Tamim just turned 23) who have played against G8 nations an batted at pos 1 to 7 and have more than 500 runs to their name.
I then calculated what percentage of their runs were run (they actually ran between the wickets) as a function of their total runs earned... this I label as '123/TotalRuns'. It shows a matter of mentality, work ethic, rotating the strike, fitness.

Here is the table, Tamim does not fare well.... And in the whole world, our Roq is the hardest young worker!

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/zsayeed/earned.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/zsayeed/earnedtab-1.jpg

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?agemax1=22;ageval1=age;batting_position max2=7;batting_positionmin2=1;batting_positionval2 =batting_position;class=2;filter=advanced;oppositi on=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposi tion=5;opposition=6;opposition=8;orderby=batting_a verage;qualmin1=500;qualval1=runs;spanmax1=28+Mar+ 2012;spanmin1=28+Mar+2002;spanval1=span;template=r esults;type=batting

55% of Tamim's Runs are from boundaries. Compare that to Shakib's 37% and Roq's 28%.

remember, tamim bats during the PPs when there are 7 players in the ring so getting singles is very much difficult and not to mention he is NOT a player of soft hands. The PPs is ideal for boundary hitting as there are very few players on the boundary so once the inner ring is pierced boundaries are good to comeby.

and sakib is middle order and he is a good rotator of the strikes and he comes at a time which is not ideal for boundary hitting. He has to rotate the strike

playmaker
March 29, 2012, 05:29 AM
Interesting point Roey but I think fitness is not a point to ponder.

Tamim may look a bit fat but that doesnt matter because he is not someone who is comfortable with getting singles, hes got the muscles to hit the ball out of the park.

Same for gayle

Roey Haque
March 29, 2012, 08:19 AM
Interesting point Roey but I think fitness is not a point to ponder.

Tamim may look a bit fat but that doesnt matter because he is not someone who is comfortable with getting singles, hes got the muscles to hit the ball out of the park.

Same for gayle

I already said Tamim could ride on his skills. However, Mortaza will almost defnitely have problems in the future the way he's ballooning up. Again, I've said this.

Everybody seems to stay on the subject on Tamim.

zsayeed
March 29, 2012, 11:26 AM
remember, tamim bats during the PPs when there are 7 players in the ring so getting singles is very much difficult and not to mention he is NOT a player of soft hands. The PPs is ideal for boundary hitting as there are very few players on the boundary so once the inner ring is pierced boundaries are good to comeby.

and sakib is middle order and he is a good rotator of the strikes and he comes at a time which is not ideal for boundary hitting. He has to rotate the strike

That is why I compared him to openers only as well in post 10.

RazabQ
March 29, 2012, 12:22 PM
TIK is Fatty McFatty but that's not the reason why he tires. It's the alleged smoking and attitude. He has plenty of power - that's not the issue here - the issue is longevity. Someone mentioned Watson & Gayle and how they score a lot of runs from boundaries. This is true but also look at how many more 100s they have. Scoring an ODI 100 is as much a fitness issue as a skills. In the PP overs you smoke some big hits and get a nice head-start but then 40s-80s typicall there's a lot of singles, and then in the PPs you have the stamina to not be tired and smoke some more boundaries.

Conclusion, keep your smoking restricted to 4s and 6s TiK and erm ease off the bhuna gosto and biryani.

BTW, nice analysis there.

zsayeed
March 29, 2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks!
Also get back to the lifestyle, training, nutritionist that was there in 2009 season. What happened in his personal, professional life off the field at that time?

Well I got the answer to the mystery of 2009 here - and it fits! It was fitness:

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=1505895&postcount=2387
Thanks to Nadim_98!!!
Staying fit has always been a challenge for Tamim, who used to start his day with a cola and have a pizza for lunch. When the team was issued a strict diet chart ahead of the tour to South Africa in 2008, Tamim convinced the team manager to carry aerated drinks in his bag and pass them to him after reaching the hotel .
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/a-peoples-opener-tamim-gifts-iphones-bikes/926690/0

The SA series started in November 2008, the diet likely had an effect through-out 2009, there must be lag in physical effect in the human body. He was fit!

Wow, the model and analysis fits!
As we see, in 2009 his running btw wickets and average both increased, He was fit, and he did well.

Roey, one more point in your query and conclusion.

And alas! The diet restrictions must have been gone by the end/later mid of 2009!

Questions:
1. Who was the physio in 2008-2009?
2. Who was the fitness coach?
3. Who was the team nutritionist?
4. Where are they now?
5. Who fills those posts now?

Dhakablues
March 29, 2012, 01:26 PM
Well when you also take into consideration the Strike Rate, the sorting suddenly changes. Then you will see that Clarke, Kohli, Chandimal, U. Akmal are more dangerous players who can be very effective and are 'match winners'..

By and large, our players are very fit because they are still very young and can burn off their fat pretty easily. Mashrafee is super fit now and the only season he was unfit is when he was out of gym, workout due to his surgery last year. Heck, even Zaheer Khan baloons up after injury because of the sub-continent diet when you are not with the team.

One thing that rarely gets mentioned is, that Siddons used to mention time to time is, even if the players wants to be fit or work out, how in earth is he going to the gym in 2.5 hours traffic jam in the city? Golds Gym costs 40,000/month and BCBs own facility is a farce with some dumbells and bench presses. Even my old apartment had more equipments than what BCB has put in for players.. that too you have to come to Mirpur or go to Dhanmondi only. Besides, a player who is not under contract, can't access the BCB gyms whenver they wanted to. Any of of you recall the picture where Ashraful was working out with the team with color faded, oxidized, manual leg press? So before blaming the players for lack of muscles, we should also ask some of these basic questions.

TIKBoss
March 29, 2012, 01:35 PM
TIK is Fatty McFatty but that's not the reason why he tires. It's the alleged smoking and attitude. He has plenty of power - that's not the issue here - the issue is longevity. Someone mentioned Watson & Gayle and how they score a lot of runs from boundaries. This is true but also look at how many more 100s they have. Scoring an ODI 100 is as much a fitness issue as a skills. In the PP overs you smoke some big hits and get a nice head-start but then 40s-80s typicall there's a lot of singles, and then in the PPs you have the stamina to not be tired and smoke some more boundaries.

Conclusion, keep your smoking restricted to 4s and 6s TiK and erm ease off the bhuna gosto and biryani.

BTW, nice analysis there.

Or how about keep eating biryani and bhuna gosto but after that go to the gym and burn off the calories/fat ? I like that idea better, since biryani tastes so good

TIKBoss
March 29, 2012, 01:37 PM
Well when you also take into consideration the Strike Rate, the sorting suddenly changes. Then you will see that Clarke, Kohli, Chandimal, U. Akmal are more dangerous players who can be very effective and are 'match winners'..

By and large, our players are very fit because they are still very young and can burn off their fat pretty easily. Mashrafee is super fit now and the only season he was unfit is when he was out of gym, workout due to his surgery last year. Heck, even Zaheer Khan baloons up after injury because of the sub-continent diet when you are not with the team.

One thing that rarely gets mentioned is, that Siddons used to mention time to time is, even if the players wants to be fit or work out, how in earth is he going to the gym in 2.5 hours traffic jam in the city? Golds Gym costs 40,000/month and BCBs own facility is a farce with some dumbells and bench presses. Even my old apartment had more equipments than what BCB has put in for players.. that too you have to come to Mirpur or go to Dhanmondi only. Besides, a player who is not under contract, can't access the BCB gyms whenver they wanted to. Any of of you recall the picture where Ashraful was working out with the team with color faded, oxidized, manual leg press? So before blaming the players for lack of muscles, we should also ask some of these basic questions.

that's disgusting.. in countries like Australia they have much better gym/training facility for local players never mind international players. Bcb is too busy looting money than to benefit our cricket

Equinox
March 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
I just checked out the Golds Gym Dhaka fb page and damn those guys are super-ripped. Oder theke dure thakai bhalo...those kinds of muscle are not possible without a bit of extra help if you know what I mean.

Anyway back on topic, you raise a valid point DB but then again it can also be questioned whether, as athlethes, our players are pushing themselves sufficiently to be fit to an international standard. For that you are required to make sacrifices with regards to your diet. And also given how they can afford to buy BMWs, the latest phones and sports bikes surely they can also afford to invest in some hi-tech excercising machines for personal use? I'm afraid you can't pass the buck onto the BCB here. As professional athletes you need to take responsibility for your own fitness.

TIKBoss
March 29, 2012, 01:52 PM
I just checked out the Golds Gym Dhaka fb page and damn those guys are super-ripped. Oder theke dure thakai bhalo...those kinds of muscle are not possible without a bit of extra help if you know what I mean.

Anyway back on topic, you raise a valid point DB but then again it can also be questioned whether, as athlethes, our players are pushing themselves sufficiently to be fit to an international standard. For that you are required to make sacrifices with regards to your diet. And also given how they can afford to buy BMWs, the latest phones and sports bikes surely they can also afford to invest in some hi-tech excercising machines for personal use? I'm afraid you can't pass the buck onto the BCB here. As professional athletes you need to take responsibility for your own fitness.

well obviously :) but no cricketer needs to look like that and they shouldnt.. you just need to be fit like a professional athlete. Cricket doesn't demand as much stamina as soccer or as much strength as football. And you are right, some of the players probably aren't professional enough or dont know about importance of being fit.

RazabQ
March 29, 2012, 04:28 PM
Every one of our top flight players can afford an exercise machine and free weight for their homes. So yeah responsibility for fitness lies with the professional sportsman.

Navo
March 29, 2012, 04:39 PM
Tamim can afford to fly to Pakistan to personally supervise his bats being custom made. He also seems to fly to Malaysia at the drop of a hat. Surely he can afford a personal fitness room

Dhakablues
March 29, 2012, 06:08 PM
If the discussion is limited to Tamim, yes, he can build a mansion of gym with the money he earns and will earn.. but Bangldesh team is not full of Tamim like fortunate players. You have player like Shafiul who gets blisters because of bad shoes or a player like Elias Sunny who lives in joint family and shares room..Our trainer once said that some of these players don't even know the basics of fitness and they arent fit at all even if they look like they are. Even players like Sachin, Gayle works out hours at the gym/field to retain their fitness level.

We can be dientologists and think that off-season fitness is players own responsiblity and they should build their own gym but the reality is different. We don't provide easier access for national or A team players to be physically fit by providing PROFESSIONAL level facilities. And that sentiment was echoed by our ex-coaches as well.

Gowza
March 29, 2012, 06:26 PM
shouldn 't even juwst look at national players anyway. what about the ones who don't have a contrqct to the BCB and are playing NCL/DPL. they can't afford to build their own gym or possibly even a gym membership so how are they supposed to get fit and stay fit?

can't expect fitness to begin once you make the national team, it needs to be there for all levels. age group players should get facilities to.

Roey Haque
March 29, 2012, 08:32 PM
Okay,okay my bengiez, this has spun off to something else which I didn't expect when I started the thread.The objective was to focus on Tamim's and Mashrafe's weight. The rest are okay. We are discussing excess fat here, not the lack of muscles. Stick to the topic. So now looking at these two players, both of whom are pretty wealthy, it isn't a question about having the right facilities, but having the right commitment to watch their weight. They can easily do it, but seem not to be doing so. For those belittling it as a small issue, resident statistician zsayeed has clearly proved otherwise, showing how players might be already suffering from lethargy. This might be a stretch, but had Mortaza been his once slim self, he could have stretched his back and pull in a few yorkers to restrict Pakistan to even a lower total. Just saying.

So bottom line is, investigate the team nutritionist and encourage Tamim and Mashrafe to lay off junk food.

Everytime Shakib sees a plate of biryani, he says to himself " Nah, I'll wait till the day of my wedding".
Okay, I just made that up. LOL.

Peace out,

Roey

Zeeshan
March 30, 2012, 12:20 AM
Okay,okay my bengiez

You must be mona's soulmate. :smug:

playmaker
March 30, 2012, 03:57 AM
Well, I think an important key is Education. Our players arent that well educated to know the difference between healthy and unhealthy food. And also, their weak english and charisma makes them shy to talking to the media or even foreign players during BPL

If Id where a BD coach, id ask the players to get english course and also some health education lessons

Roey Haque
March 30, 2012, 11:46 AM

1. Who's Mona?
2. Is she a looker?
3. My body is my only soul mate. Hence I exist.

Peace out,

Roey

shuziburo
March 30, 2012, 08:52 PM
I didn't know he smoked! A professional athlete should never smoke. Shame!

A few extra pounds might be ok as long as they don't affect stamina. Look at the Aussies and some of the Saffers. Look at Hayden - muscle under fat. Tamim does seem to tire quickly, so he needs to work on that and losing some weight or quitting smoking might help.

Everyone is different and it's all about the stamina. Ranatunga never ran out of breath, while running himself out was all that Inzy ever did, besides scoring a gazillion runs.

Dilscoop
March 30, 2012, 09:08 PM
I google searched Peace Out and it brought me to this thread.

Roey Haque
March 30, 2012, 09:49 PM
I google searched Peace Out and it brought me to this thread.

Now son, I'm not calling you a liar. But your statement was unbelievable, and so I had to try it out for myself. And lo behold, this thread does not appear in a "peace out" google search. I checked the 2nd and 3rd pages just to be sure and still no thread.

Peace out,

Roey

Habib
March 31, 2012, 02:26 AM
Now son, I'm not calling you a liar. But your statement was unbelievable, and so I had to try it out for myself. And lo behold, this thread does not appear in a "peace out" google search. I checked the 2nd and 3rd pages just to be sure and still no thread.

Peace out,

Roey

Yo Roey don't take it seriously bruv They are just messin with a young upcoming talented rapper man...know what I mean?
Let's get down to business- when are we fans getting the next classic piece after MMA Fight Chic???

Peace out foreva \m/ :shakibscream:

Night_wolf
March 31, 2012, 03:03 AM

Peace out,

Roey

Lol...he was just messing with you

zinatf
March 31, 2012, 03:05 AM

1. Who's Mona?
2. Is she a looker?
3. My body is my only soul mate. Hence I exist.

Peace out,

Roey

bolo Zee...Roey's asking something ;)

Roey Haque
March 31, 2012, 03:30 AM
bolo Zee...Roey's asking something ;)

LOL. Well, why don't you go ahead and tell me? In that way Z need not be bothered.

Peace out,

Roey

Roey Haque
March 31, 2012, 03:37 AM
Yo Roey don't take it seriously bruv They are just messin with a young upcoming talented rapper man...know what I mean?
Let's get down to business- when are we fans getting the next classic piece after MMA Fight Chic???

Peace out foreva \m/ :shakibscream:
Hey bruh-bruh,

Yeah, I had the feeling it was a joke, but then I second guessed myself, thinking how is this funny? ( either a case of my arrogance or Dilscoop's pathetic humor) LOL. You get me?

Anyway, thanks for listening to my songs. There are 10 songs at the moment in my youtube playlist. I'm working tonight on a piece titled "Golden Goose", hopefully it'll be done soon.

Thanks for tuning in again.

Peace out,

Roey

zinatf
March 31, 2012, 03:52 AM
LOL. Well, why don't you go ahead and tell me? In that way Z need not be bothered.

Peace out,

Roey

Well....if you insist :D
Mona's one of the BC users....she always mentions Bangladeshis as Bangys or forever Bangy....she likes to call it that away...

Roey Haque
March 31, 2012, 04:03 AM
Well....if you insist :D
Mona's one of the BC users....she always mentions Bangladeshis as Bangys or forever Bangy....she likes to call it that away...

Arggghh, too much shyt hovering in my head. I will do another quick 1,2,3 to organize my thoughts, alright?

1. Yeah, I got that part about her using the term Bengies. I could infer that much from Z's comment. But wanted to know more as it made me inquisitive.
2. To be precise, I say Bengy, not Bangy, and so it's not quite similar.
3. Your use of emoticons crack me up. Very cheesy but effective!

Peace out,

Roey

Habib
March 31, 2012, 10:58 AM
Hey bruh-bruh,

Yeah, I had the feeling it was a joke, but then I second guessed myself, thinking how is this funny? ( either a case of my arrogance or Dilscoop's pathetic humor) LOL. You get me?

Anyway, thanks for listening to my songs. There are 10 songs at the moment in my youtube playlist. I'm working tonight on a piece titled "Golden Goose", hopefully it'll be done soon.

Thanks for tuning in again.

Peace out,

Roey

Can't wait. I love goose. Tasty if you know what I mean.
Hey Roey bro, can you post your autograph here for us die hard fans???
Peace out foreva \m/

Roey Haque
March 31, 2012, 01:10 PM
Can't wait. I love goose. Tasty if you know what I mean.
Hey Roey bro, can you post your autograph here for us die hard fans???
Peace out foreva \m/

Haha, what the fcuk? I ain't famous yet bruh-bruh, so hold your excitement. I read your profile in here, and it says you like music. So tell you what, why don't suggest some ideas or topics or any cool thoughts for songs. That shyt always inspires me. So far, the songs I have concerning Bangladesh are the one titled "Stop robbin" to address corruption, and of course " Get wickets, get runs" the one about Shakib.

Peace out,

Roey

Murad
March 31, 2012, 01:28 PM
Mash abar kobe theke fat holo? Mash doesn't have any weight problem.

Roey Haque
March 31, 2012, 03:56 PM
Mash abar kobe theke fat holo? Mash doesn't have any weight problem.

What! Have you followed Mashrafe from the beginning of his career? With every passing year, he adds a little weight. Though, it is understandable in a sense as he's been plagued with so many injuries, that he would give up on maintenance and just work on recuperating. But still, he could sure afford to lose some fat now, if he doesn't convert it to muscles. Personally, I favor just losing the weight as excess muscles will slow him down.
But thanks for your inquiry.

Peace out,

Roey

Murad
March 31, 2012, 05:05 PM
What! Have you followed Mashrafe from the beginning of his career? With every passing year, he adds a little weight. Though, it is understandable in a sense as he's been plagued with so many injuries, that he would give up on maintenance and just work on recuperating. But still, he could sure afford to lose some fat now, if he doesn't convert it to muscles. Personally, I favor just losing the weight as excess muscles will slow him down.
But thanks for your inquiry.

Peace out,

Roey

I ask you the same question: Have you followed Mashrafe from the beginning of his career?

Only time he gained weight was after the 2nd last injury in 2009. After the last injury he didn't gain weight but lost so much. And now he is as fit as any fast bowlers in the world.

When he started his career, he was a teenager. Now he is like 28/29. You don't expect him to be in same shape as he was in 2001/2, do you?

Roey Haque
March 31, 2012, 05:16 PM
I ask you the same question: Have you followed Mashrafe from the beginning of his career?

Only time he gained weight was after the 2nd last injury in 2009. After the last injury he didn't gain weight but lost so much. And now he is as fit as any fast bowlers in the world.

When he started his career, he was a teenager. Now he is like 28/29. You don't expect him to be in same shape as he was in 2001/2, do you?

Yeah, your descriptions are correct. I don't know the details. But the first time I saw Mashrafe was when he was the 3rd choice bowler in the test line up, after Monjurul Islam and Tapash Bashya. And he has ballooned ever since then, which basically confirms your point about losing shape with age. Only thing is, I didn't expect it to be this bad where you can clearly see that his delivery rhythm has changed. No arching of the back, and far weaker follow through.
What totally mindfcuked me however, was your comment on him being fit as any other bowler in the world today? Seriously? I guess we will just have to agree to disagree then.

Thanks for the follow up.

Peace out,

Roey

shuziburo
April 2, 2012, 07:41 PM
Quite a few Ph.D.'s at BC are EE majors. My own background is in biomedical signal processing. I probably would have been in BME now.

No My PhD is in EE, especially in Statistical Signal Processing area which is basically oodles of Statistics, Kalman Filtering, Estimation, Maximum Likelihood Analysis.

Thanks Brother.

Too bad I don't have Tamim's weight, BP and Hearrt Rate year over year - then we could really hone in.
And add to that the Girl-Friend factor and number of trips abroad...:) JKing :)

We could really design the ultimate player! Designer Player!....ummm Eugenics.

Joamiq
April 3, 2012, 09:30 AM
zsayeed, I applaud your hard work, but I have to question the interpretation of some of these statistical analyses. I don't see how 123/total runs is a measure of working hard between the wickets. Doesn't it just measure whether a guy can hit boundaries or not?

As for correlation of 123 and average, you are correlating runs with runs, so shouldn't the correlation be high regardless? I don't see what this tells us. Obviously if a guy is scoring more 123s, he's scoring more runs. If he's hitting more boundaries, he's scoring more runs too.

I would think that 2s and 3s vs. singles would be a better measure of working hard between the wickets - then you are just isolating the balls that aren't hit well enough for boundaries. But even then, whether or not you can take that extra run is as much about your partner as it is about you, so I don't know how much that can tell us. You would have to control for a player's batting partner on each ball to really get meaningful numbers.

zsayeed
April 3, 2012, 10:22 AM
zsayeed, I applaud your hard work, but I have to question the interpretation of some of these statistical analyses. I don't see how 123/total runs is a measure of working hard between the wickets. Doesn't it just measure whether a guy can hit boundaries or not?

Joamiq, Nice point.

There are obviously defficiencies in the data set that is presented.
However, no, the correlation will not always be there.

We are correlating type's of runs with the total runs, infact I am correlating Average runs with % of 123s. The correlation will indicate how dependent the average is with the singles, a high correlation would indicate more singles. If all runs are made from singles than the correlation would be 100%. And regarding the claim that 'does it indicate that the batsmen can hit boundaries' - we all know Tamim can - so that's a premise, given.

Now if you threshold the average above a ceratin limit so that you have confidence in the result you can see if for a particular batsmen, it is better to make singles than to rely on boundaries. Tamim is that kind of player. Ofcourse Gayle is not and you would find a lower correlation for gayle. Gayle's correlation is 0.076, which indicates a fair bit of independence between his ability to take singles and a high average. The same conclusion cannot hold for Gayle. Gayle's:
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/zsayeed/gayle-1.jpg

Sehwag's correlation is -0.57 it is negative. It actually hurts his average when he takes singles! I am surprised by that.
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/zsayeed/sehwag.jpg

I do not have access to 2s and 3s from CI, that would require someone to mine the commentary. Any volunteers. I am not good at mining.

As for 2s and 3s being a better indicator - It is captured in stat, but muted. Because 2s and 3s are in the 123s. It would be muted, but the stat does include that.

An interesting 2nd order effect would be what happens to Sehwag's partner when Sehwag fires. He would not rotate - and his partner would be hurt. His average I mean. But then that leads to a complicated setup, a first order analysis would be to compare Segwag's average time series with Tendulkar's in matches where Tendulkar is number 1/2 and Sehwag 2/1.

Food for thought.

ma_o_mati
April 3, 2012, 10:51 AM
are we talking about Akram khan?

oh no, he is the selector

playmaker
April 3, 2012, 11:59 AM
^^

:d :d

mar umpire
April 4, 2012, 05:37 AM
It's not so much the weight problem as it's the strength problem. They need to spend more time working out and they don't need a gym necessarily. People can improvise, just see guys like Hannibal for king and hardcore calisthenic workout routines. Aus has nice gyms but look at how obese the overall population is probably just behind the US who have great facilities as well.
Eat healthy and workout- it's pretty simple. It's the mental weakness that's been BDs problem, whether it's the attitude to cricket or working out or anthing-they can't push to go the extra mile. No Rocky Balboas in this squad at the moment