PDA

View Full Version : Dope cheats beware!

Nadim
April 2, 2012, 01:11 PM
BCB introduces anti-doping code in local cricket

The Bangladesh Cricket Board has finally approved domestic anti-doping code, bringing all local players under its purview for the first time in a bid to create a doping free environment in domestic cricket.
In the past only national cricketers faced dope tests during different international cricket competitions with Nasir Hossain being the last player to undergo the test at the Asia Cup, but other players who did not play for any representative sides went untested.
But the anti-doping code, which was approved at BCB’s meeting on Sunday, will now allow the BCB officials to examine any cricketer at any stage of a domestic cricket competition.
The board will employ an anti-doping unit that will monitor each game and whenever they have any suspicion about any player they will take him to give the urine sample for a dope test, said the officials.
There may be a random test and the player will be chosen through a lottery.
In the approved code doping has been defined as the occurrence of one or more anti-doping rule violations and the presence of a prohibited substance or its metabolites or markers in a player’s urine sample.
Any kind of steroid, cough syrup ephedrine related medicines, stimulating drugs that can enhance muscle power along with several other drugs are often considered as prohibited specified substances.
Under the code all prohibited substances shall be considered ‘specified substances’ except substances in the class of anabolic agents and hormones and those stimulants and hormone antagonists and modulators so identified on the prohibited list.
Players may be granted permission to use one or more prohibited substances or prohibited methods for therapeutic reasons in the circumstances set out in international standard for therapeutic use exemptions.
‘It is a step forward so that we can create a dope free environment in domestic cricket. With the introduction of the anti-doping code, players will be more careful about their life style,’ Debashish Chowdhury, the BCB physician, told New Age on Monday.
‘Any thing that is unusual can be target of a dope test,’ said Debashish.
The BCB physician added that initially they will target only a few selected domestic competitions like the Dhaka Premier League, Bangladesh Premier League and National Cricket League as dope test is very expensive.
‘We would be targeting the above three competition as it would be very expensive. There is no laboratory in the country where the sample can be tested,’ said Debashish.
‘The facilities are not even available in India and the nearest place where we can send the sample is Malaysia. The minimum cost of a single test is $650,’ he said adding that that they have a plan to send all results to the World Anti-Doping Agency.
Debashish said that the result management would be the critical part of the whole process as even if a player gets a positive result he has a chance to appeal.
The BCB has a plan to brief the players on the banned substances before every competition. Whenever a player will be chosen for a test he must give the BCB in writing about the drugs he has taken in a certain period.
‘We will ask them to write down before the test what kind of drugs he had used so that we can always determine whether he falls into the category of therapeutic-use exemption,’ said Debashish.
Doping in cricket is not very uncommon as many international cricketers like Ian Botham, Shane Warne, Shoaib Akhtar, Upul Tharanga and Phil Tufnell were banned for taking illegal performance-enhancing drugs in the past.

Source (http://newagebd.com/detail.php?date=2012-04-03&nid=6014)

Excellent initiative by BCB :bravo::notworthy:

Navo
April 2, 2012, 01:38 PM
Why is it not possible to get the sample(s) tested in Bangladesh? $650/sample is a ridiculously large sum of money and will mean that the BCB will not investigate all suspicious cases.

MohammedC
April 2, 2012, 01:50 PM
Why is it not possible to get the sample(s) tested in Bangladesh? $650/sample is a ridiculously large sum of money and will mean that the BCB will not investigate all suspicious cases.

I say that's good money making opportunity. Ok I am just saying it, I know corruption don't exist in Bangladesh Cricket but this $650 per sample is good number when you multiply by 100. Very good eid bonus for those who will be in charge of it. Good initiative BCB.

I also think they should reduce the number of First Class match to raise the money for this test.

Navo
April 2, 2012, 01:55 PM
And it's a complete lie that the facilities for dope testing are not available in India. A simple Google search reveals the: National Dope Testing Laboratory (http://ndtlindia.com/), Ministry of Youth and Sports, Government of India

Navo
April 2, 2012, 01:57 PM
And what's even funnier - among their international clients (http://ndtlindia.com/pages/our-clients.html), they have the sports boards of Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal etc. Haire BCB :facepalm:

MohammedC
April 2, 2012, 02:02 PM
BCB goons are looking for Navo for revealing the truth.

akabir77
April 2, 2012, 02:07 PM
no CEO so make money as much as you can...

zsayeed
April 2, 2012, 03:23 PM
You mean - etodin dope-testing chilo na? ! ?:wow::wow::wow:
It should be done by a noteworthy independent lab.
It should be asked for by noteworthy independent organisation.
Leaving it to BCB to decide who gets tested is asking for failure.

patriot
April 3, 2012, 03:19 AM
And what's even funnier - among their international clients (http://ndtlindia.com/pages/our-clients.html), they have the sports boards of Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal etc. Haire BCB :facepalm:

Why is the BCCI not in that list ? Pakistan Sports Board and Sri Lanka Sports Board are different from Pakistan Cricket Board and Sri Lanka Cricket Board respectively. Surely there has to be some truth in the statement of Debashish Chowdhury , when he says the facilities are unavailable in India.

BCCI gets it help from Sweden and Australia .

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Cricket/CricketNews/BCCI-shows-the-way-with-anti-doping-initiatives/Article1-719633.aspx

Even international cricketers, whenever they have doubts about food supplements or medication, get support through two independent testing agencies hired by the BCCI - the International Drug Testing Management from Sweden and Sports Drug Testing International from Australia.

I don't see this as a money making initiative by the BCB . In fact I am glad its not conducted in India and Malaysia to me sounds far more credible .

mar umpire
April 3, 2012, 03:25 AM
I have serious doubts over medical lab tests in general in BD-do the test in the morning, get "fine" results by the afternoon, pathology get the money the doctors get a comission

I have serious doubts over this

I have serious doubts over the "enhancing" drugs our players might take-most things in BD these days are "vajal" or "nokol". They may be seling talcum powder not only as antibiotics but also as cocaine.

They'll use talcum powder as anabolic steroids somehow once they find a way making Johnson and Johnson the largest exporters of illegal anabolic steroids, however only after Asif's local "Hakim" who seems to have nandrolone spurting out of his herbal mixtures.

If our players take these illegal stuff, they'll probably die from the preservatives anyway. There's enough deterrent to stop them. Most people wouldn't drink water unless they knew the source let alone ilegal drugs

lamisa
April 3, 2012, 12:02 PM
good initiative

Navo
April 3, 2012, 12:23 PM
I don't see this as a money making initiative by the BCB . In fact I am glad its not conducted in India and Malaysia to me sounds far more credible .

Never said that it was a money-spinning initiative of BCB. I just meant that there are more cost-effective alternatives that the BCB is (possibly willfully) ignoring. BCCI is an incredibly wealthy body and can afford to have all their doping suspects flown to Australia, Sweden or wherever if they wish. The BCB is not as wealthy and if exploring cheaper alternatives means more suspects being required to do dope tests (rather than letting them go under the radar because it's too expensive) then I am all for it. The National Dope Testing Laboratory of India is accredited by the World Anti Doping Agency, so I don't see why it isn't creditable.

Besides, the article only mentioned the Labs in Sweden and Australia being used by Indian international cricketers. These new dope testing measures are for domestic players and it makes sense to use a more cost-effective alternative for a larger group of people. The internationals already have their samples tested abroad.

cricheart
April 3, 2012, 01:26 PM
Dope test in cricket! wtf!
Cricket players now have to exam with blood-urine test?! This is cricket peeps! Its meant to be play with cold beer in green. This is gentlemen game, you cant compare this with some wrestling or boxing or weightlift or whtever!

I guess this code is made only for Tamim

lamisa
April 4, 2012, 12:39 PM
^^^ if dopes can affect cricketers, why shouldn't they take the test?

TigerEz
April 4, 2012, 03:02 PM
can someone please explain to me what dop is? i searched the web but cant understand

MohammedC
April 4, 2012, 03:36 PM
can someone please explain to me what dop is? i searched the web but cant understand

instead of "Dop" search "Dope" and you will get your answer. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dope

Dope is slang word meaning Drugs. In sports mainly performance enhancement drugs like anabolic steroids are known as dope (there may be many other drugs I am not aware of). If get caught athlete normally get a lifetime ban from their sports.

Navo
April 4, 2012, 03:39 PM
^ Tigerez, you might remember Shane Warne getting into trouble for 'mistakenly' taking slimming pills and getting banned for a year or Mohammad Asif getting into trouble for smoking marijuana?

TigerEz
April 4, 2012, 03:47 PM
ohhhh....thanks guys. now i get it