PDA

View Full Version : The Railwaygate Scandal

Ajfar
April 13, 2012, 10:16 AM
I hear Bangladeshi Railroad/Transportation Minister got busted with Illegal money in his car. Is that true?

HereWeGo
April 13, 2012, 10:29 AM
I hear Bangladeshi Railroad/Transportation Minister got busted with Illegal money in his car. Is that true?

True!! Surprised Suranjit turned to be amongst the list of dishonest politician and no one has been able implicate Abul hasan yet!!

simon
April 13, 2012, 10:35 AM
True!! Surprised Suranjit turned to be amongst the list of dishonest politician and no one has been able implicate Abul hasan yet!!

what happened after that?
he got arrested or something?

akabir77
April 13, 2012, 11:05 AM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s320x320/524577_149105611883667_149104811883747_172948_1427 00310_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=149105611883667&set=at.149105608550334.29016.149104811883747.51018 7224&type=1&ref=nf)

Ajfar
April 13, 2012, 11:35 AM
what happened after that?
he got arrested or something?

My mom keeps me up to date with all kinds of Bangladeshi news, This is what she told me. So apparently the illegal money was being transported by his driver and the secretary. And the driver randomly just decided to drive the car into a police or army headquarter, claiming there's illegal money in this car. And so they found the money. Also since than the driver's gone missing.

And there's another rumor that the reason driver decided to turn the car in might have something to do with maybe him not getting his fair share of the 'illegal' money.

roman
April 13, 2012, 11:41 AM
My mom keeps me up to date with all kinds of Bangladeshi news, This is what she told me. So apparently the illegal money was being transported by his driver and the secretary. And the driver randomly just decided to drive the car into a police or army headquarter, claiming there's illegal money in this car. And so they found the money. Also since than the driver's gone missing.

And there's another rumor that the reason driver decided to turn the car in might have something to do with maybe him not getting his fair share of the 'illegal' money.
It was BGB (former BDR)..

I am worried about the Driver. His life could be in danger. Those BAL goons might not spare him.

Naimul_Hd
April 13, 2012, 12:00 PM
It was BGB (former BDR)..

I am worried about the Driver. His life could be in danger. Those BAL goons might not spare him.

I am afraid something really bad has happened to him already. :(

Rabz
April 13, 2012, 12:07 PM

Suranjit is a surprise ?? The guy has been one of the most crooked politicians of Bangladesh.

Abul might be one of the most shameless, but atleast he managed his charges well enough not to get caught like this.

cricket_pagol
April 13, 2012, 01:28 PM
I am afraid something really bad has happened to him already. :(

I am worried about the driver as well.

Naimul_Hd
April 15, 2012, 10:49 PM
[বাংলা]রেলমন্ত্রী সুরঞ্জিত সেনগুপ্তকে আজকের মধ্যে পদত্যাগ করতে বলেছেন প্রধানমন্ত্রী শেখ হাসিনা। নির্ভরযোগ্য সূত্র জানিয়েছে, তুরস্ক থেকে প্রধানমন্ত্রী দেশে ফেরার পর গতরাতে সুরঞ্জিত সেনগুপ্ত তার সঙ্গে দেখা করতে গণভবনে যান। সাক্ষাতে সুরঞ্জিত সেনগুপ্ত এপিএসের অর্থ কেলেঙ্কারীর ঘটনায় তার অবস্থান প্রধানমন্ত্রীর কাছে তুলে ধরেন। দীর্ঘ আলোচনার পর প্রধানমন্ত্রী আজকের মধ্যে (সোমবার) তাকে পদত্যাগের নির্দেশ দেন। সূত্রমতে, সুরঞ্জিত সেনগুপ্তের সঙ্গে প্রধানমন্ত্রী ২৫ মিনিট একান্তে কথা বলেন। এপিএসের অর্থ কেলেঙ্কারীর পর প্রধানন্ত্রীর সঙ্গে এটাই তার প্রথম সাক্ষাৎ।[/বাংলা]

Source (http://www.bangladeshfirst.com/newsdetails.php?cid=2&scid=0&nid=4178&fb_comment_id=fbc_352315348149340_3980588_35242349 4805192)

Don't know how true is that.

Naimul_Hd
April 16, 2012, 02:32 AM
finally it happened !

[বাংলা]রেলমন্ত্রীর পদত্যাগ[/বাংলা]

[বাংলা]
বহুল আলোচিত রেলের অর্থ কেলেঙ্কারির ঘটনায় রেলমন্ত্রী সুরঞ্জিত সেনগুপ্ত পদত্যাগ করেছেন। আজ সোমবার রেলভবনে এক সংবাদ সম্মেলনে তিনি এ ঘোষণা দেন। [/বাংলা]

PA (http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/date/2012-04-16/news/240627)

simon
April 16, 2012, 06:39 AM
hip hip hurrey :fire: :applause:

eishob nirlojjo montri ra nij theke podotyag korbena, PM bolche boley korlo. :-P disgusting.

Tigers_eye
April 16, 2012, 11:14 AM
Why dudok doesn't freeze Shunojeet's assistants (all of them) bank account?

Actually all Govt secretariat officials. 3 koti taka'r bari banaisey ar ta abar khali poirey thakey. Baah!!!

nakedzero
April 17, 2012, 10:49 AM
Suranjit Sengupta, who resigned on Monday over cash-scandal involving his personal aide, will remain in the Cabinet as a minister without portfolio, an official handout said Tuesday.

"The prime minister relieved Suranjit Sengupta as railways minister and made him a minister without any portfolio," the announcement said.

READ MORE (http://www.bdnews24.com/details.php?cid=3&id=222649&hb=top)

BANFAN
April 17, 2012, 03:09 PM
Suranjit is a surprise ?? The guy has been one of the most crooked politicians of Bangladesh.

Abul might be one of the most shameless, but atleast he managed his charges well enough not to get caught like this.

If a politician of Bangladesh who has been in power, isn't corrupted, I will be surprised ...

Navo
April 17, 2012, 05:07 PM
I have to say, of all our politicians, I'm quite surprised to hear that Suranjit Sengupta has been found to be part of such a financial scandal. Maybe some of the older BC-ites could remind us of whether he has been charged with corruption before? I only remember him for his actions almost precisely 40 years ago when he was one of only two members of the Constituent Assembly to object to the contents of the draft Constitution.

Naimul_Hd
April 22, 2012, 10:21 PM
I am worried about the driver as well.

Finally, a news on him.

[বাংলা]জীবনের ভয়ে লুকিয়ে আছেন চালক আজম (http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/date/2012-04-23/news/252354)

আলম পলাশ, চাঁদপুর | তারিখ: ২৩-০৪-২০১২

গাড়িচালক আলী আজম খান (২৮) নিখোঁজ বা গুম হননি। তিনি আত্মগোপনে আছেন। জীবনের নিরাপত্তা পেলেই তিনি জনসমক্ষে আসবেন বলে জানিয়েছেন তাঁর ভাই।

৯ এপ্রিল মধ্যরাতে বর্ডার গার্ড বাংলাদেশের (বিজিবি) সদর দপ্তর পিলখানায় বিপুল টাকাসহ ধরা পড়া সাবেক রেলমন্ত্রীর সহকারী একান্ত সচিবের (এপিএস) গাড়িচালক আজম খান সরকারের কাছে নিরাপত্তা চেয়েছেন। তাঁর ভাই শাহ আলম গতকাল প্রথম আলোকে বলেন, ঘটনার পরদিন ১০ এপ্রিল তাঁর ভাই সৌদি-প্রবাসী ছোট বোন সালমা আক্তারকে ফোন করেছিলেন। এর পর থেকে আজম খান আর কারও সঙ্গে যোগাযোগ করেননি।

পারিবারিক সূত্রে জানা গেছে, আজমের অপেক্ষায় থেকে থেকে অসুস্থ হয়ে পড়েছেন তাঁর বাবা দুদ মিয়া (৭২) ও মা মাজেদা বেগম (৬৫)। আজমের স্ত্রীও অর্থকষ্টে রয়েছেন। বাড়িভাড়া দিতে পারছেন না। জোগাতে পারছেন না শিশুকন্যার লেখাপড়া ও খাওয়ার খরচ। তাই তাঁকে গ্রামের বাড়িতে চলে আসতে বলা হয়েছে।

[/বাংলা]

Sohel
April 26, 2012, 01:07 AM
I have no doubt that Shuronjit Babu will be exonerated. All of the "evidence" is purely circumstantial and the attempt to tie Shoumen's new business shameful. Shoumen is a qualified ICT professional who lives in Canada and is a Canadian citizen. Another Canadian-Bangladeshi is investing the money and everything there is nothing out of the ordinary. The careless and callous insinuations won't stick.

This stinks of conspiracy for me. Spontaneous access to BDR compound after 10PM? There has been no record of the Honorable Minister involved in recruitment at all. Because of his anti-BAKSAL, char-kholifa and non-Muslim creds, he has a lot of enemies everywhere. He is being poorly set up and the due process will prove it so.

Equinox
April 26, 2012, 06:36 AM
^Why did he defend his aides immediately after the news broke out? If his aides were indeed trying to set him up why are they still defending him? And most importantly, if he is innocent why is he protesting a judicial inquiry into the incident? Questions that need to be answered.

BANFAN
April 26, 2012, 04:19 PM
If he is being set up by AL, it will only be for his position under last CTG...his statements were hurting Hasina and AL.

ammark
April 27, 2012, 06:39 AM
Anyways, there was no money in the sack... according to the latest statement, and probably to be certified by DuDoK, there was only Kathal from Chittagong

Hashbo naki kandbo, bujhi na :facepalm:

Equinox
April 27, 2012, 06:54 AM
If he is being set up by AL, it will only be for his position under last CTG...his statements were hurting Hasina and AL.
So they waited 3 years after getting elected, carved out a new ministry for him and then decided to exact their revenge? Btw he is still officially a minister in the cabinet. I too was fond of Suranjit and his outspokenness, thought he was one of the rare good ones but as it turns out he is just like the rest.

BANFAN
April 27, 2012, 08:12 AM
So they waited 3 years after getting elected, carved out a new ministry for him and then decided to exact their revenge? Btw he is still officially a minister in the cabinet. I too was fond of Suranjit and his outspokenness, thought he was one of the rare good ones but as it turns out he is just like the rest.

I'm not saying that it's an absolute Awami setup, but can't blow that away. Infact SohelNR raised it and I can't disagree with a possibility of AL setup, given the BAL nature of fascist politics. 3 years isn't a long time if you consider a few facts:

1. Suranjit is a strong Indian lobby; cutting him to size without securing that front would be a political mistake for AL.
2. As a front line leader of AL he was supposed to get a ministry immediately, but he was clearly side lined after election.
3. Don't know what he had to do behind the scenes to prove his loyalty, but overtly he was given a dirty job; throwing out the CTG system and he has done it successfully before being appointed a Minister.

4. Now, BAL/Hasina might think that they have made max use of him and also remunerated him, and now is the best time to take the revenge, which will keep Indian lobby and suranjit followers in the party .. Guessing about it. And will be hard to establish it as a deliberate act.
OR
4. Or may be AL hierarchy doesn't feel safe or doesn't trust an all powerful Suranjit, so they trap him into a case, hide the evidences for the time being and unleash if Suranjit ever tries to be over smart in future.

I agree to many here, Suranjit was one of the outspoken and less corrupted leaders of BAL. His wife was working for BRAC in some honorary capacity, children went through education instead of the norms for most politicians kids and he didn't have a un accounted wealth base. That's why he could be upright and speak truth. That's dangerous for a thoroughly corrupted top leadership of BAL. So, to keep him quiet and under control, there is no better way but to assassin his character.

Anything is possible in BAL politics. So, I never rule out a possibility of setting him up by his own Party head. We may never know the truth, but we can understand, after we see how it ends and who is the beneficiary of the event.

He is still a minister doesn't say anything... He may even be promoted to a better ministry...once Hasina feels that he is now in her grip after removing the 'Poison Teeth' and she can safely play with this snake to entertain the public. Never rule out any possibility in politics, specially if that's in BD and BAL...

Navo
May 14, 2012, 12:12 AM
Suranjit not involved
Discloses a controversial departmental investigation; another probe confirms irregularities in recruitment

A departmental probe has given a clean chit to former railway minister Suranjit Sengupta in the Tk 70 lakh scandal that involved Suranjit's aide Omar Faruq Talukder and two railway high-ups.

“We did not find any link between the former railway minister and the cash haul. His APS Faruq claimed that the money he was carrying in his private vehicle belonged to him,” Bangladesh Railway Director General Abu Taher, who headed the probe body, told the media after submitting the probe report yesterday.

Faruq, the sacked APS of Suranjit, previously told the Anti-Corruption Commission that of the Tk 70 lakh seized from his vehicle, he earned Tk 45 lakh from legal practice and received the rest from his expatriate brother-in-law. The ACC asked him to submit proofs in support of his claims in 15 days, but he didn't appear before the ACC.

Though Taher told journalists that the money belonged to Faruq, the probe report said the matter should be sent to the ACC to verify the source of the money.

The railway DG said it was not the probe body's jurisdiction to determine the source of the money.

He said none other than Suranjit's assistant personal secretary Faruq knew about the money.

“They called the former minister that night to discuss the launching of a train but could not contact him as the minister was asleep,” said Taher, who handed over the report to Railway Secretary Fazle Kabir.

Questions were raised whether the probe would be free and fair when the committee was formed with two railway officials to investigate the scandal.

Meanwhile, a four-member body formed to probe the irregularities in railway's recruitment has found some irregularities in the recruitment process in the railway's east zone.

On April 9 night, Faruq's microbus driver Ali Azam drove the vehicle carrying Faruq, and two railway officials Yusuf Ali Mridha and Enamul Huq to the Border Guard Bangladesh headquarters in the capital. The driver shouted at the guards that there was illegal money in the microbus.

BGB personnel searched the vehicle and found Tk 70 lakh, reportedly collected from new recruits in railway's east zone, stashed in the vehicle. They detained the four but released them the next day after verifying their identity.

Faruq was sacked, and railway general manager (east zone) Mridha and its divisional security commandant Enamul Huq were suspended following the incident.

Taking responsibility for the incident, Suranjit stepped down as railway minister on April 16. But the government retained him as a minister without portfolio.

“Only the APS admitted that there was money in the vehicle. He deposited the money to his bank account later,” Taher told reporters.

He said BGB personnel did not arrest or detain them. “The BGB came to know about their identity in primary interrogation. It was midnight and the driver refused to take them home. Faruq, Mridha and Enamul left Pilkhana when another driver arrived there in the morning.”

When asked about the driver, who was at the centre of the incident, Abu Taher said they could not interrogate him as he has remained untraced since the incident.

He claimed they did a complete probe and the driver's absence did not hamper their job.

The probe body was formed in April. The other committee member is Shashi Kumar Singha, a joint secretary of the railway ministry.

Meanwhile, another probe committee has found some irregularities in the recent recruitment in railway's east zone, reports our Chittagong correspondent.

“Some irregularities have been found. I cannot say anything more at this stage. We are scrutinising the documents on recruitment in 25 categories where irregularities have been alleged,” Bangladesh Railway Joint Director General Md Shamsuzzaman, who headed the probe body, told journalists in Chittagong.

The railway formed the committee last month following the Tk 70 lakh haul.

He hoped to complete the investigation in two weeks.

The committee members arrived in Chittagong in the morning and interrogated several officials of recruitment committees.

“We have already examined the activities of recruitment committees in eight categories in our previous visit last month. We will today examine the activities of the recruitment bodies for five to six more categories,” said Shamsuzzaman.

The committee is also looking into allegations that came up in the print and electronic media between April 9 and April 16.

He said all documents including applications and answer sheets were being checked.

Tafazzal Hossain, general manager of railway's east zone, said another ACC team arrived in the port city to probe allegations of irregularities in railway recruitment.

Source (http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=234077)

Ajfar
May 14, 2012, 08:57 AM
TK 70 lakh? Do you guys thinks thats the actual amount or there was more in that car?

akabir77
May 14, 2012, 10:07 AM
he is so pure that when he touches water it turns into milk!!!

Rabz
May 14, 2012, 10:20 AM
TK 70 lakh? Do you guys thinks thats the actual amount or there was more in that car?

From what I've heard, there were actually 4.5 crore taka.
BGB/BDR officers looted the amount right when it was captured and gave 'em only 70 lacks to deal with. Since the whole thing was bribe money, they can't even claim it back either :D

Not to worry, a big chunk of that 3+ crore taka will reach to its intended owner, the Clean Minister Mr Suranjit.

Navo
May 14, 2012, 10:36 AM
From what I've heard, there were actually 4.5 crore taka.
BGB/BDR officers looted the amount right when it was captured and gave 'em only 70 lacks to deal with. Since the whole thing was bribe money, they can't even claim it back either :D

Not to worry, a big chunk of that 3+ crore taka will reach to its intended owner, the Clean Minister Mr Suranjit.

Out of curiosity, as many members are older than me and might have a better idea of the past few decades, when was the last time Suranjit Sengupta was charged with corruption/bribery?

The only thing that I know about him is that he was an MP since before independence and was one of very few MPs to openly criticize the BD Draft Constitution. Please enlighten me.

Rabz
May 14, 2012, 10:40 AM
Out of curiosity, as many members are older than me and might have a better idea of the past few decades, when was the last time Suranjit Sengupta was charged with corruption/bribery?

The only thing that I know about him is that he was an MP since before independence and was one of very few MPs to openly criticize the BD Draft Constitution. Please enlighten me.

Well, he was never a Minister before !! Over 5 decades of political life, this is the first time he got an office !!

Navo
May 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
Well, he was never a Minister before !! Over 5 decades of political life, this is the first time he got an office !!

But he has been an MP/MLA for most of those five decades. It's not as if that doesn't present any corruption opportunities.

I know that it's easy to believe that a Bangladeshi Minister would be deeply involved in corruption but I'd like to see more credible corroboration of such an accusation before besmirching a weathered old man's name.

zinatf
May 14, 2012, 11:38 AM
To be honest, I always heard of Suranjit Sengupta being one of the few honest politicians in BAL. When I first saw the news, I was very much surprised.