PDA

View Full Version : Pick your superathlete

Zeeshan
May 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
..or even suggest more.

Equinox
May 11, 2012, 05:22 PM
Ronaldinho lol. This isn't 2003. I think you meant to put in Messi or C. Ronaldo :P

Nasif
May 11, 2012, 05:25 PM
Where is Ashraful in that list?

Dilscoop
May 11, 2012, 06:07 PM
Michael Phelps
Usain Bolts
Blake Griffin
Calvin Johnson
Adrian Peterson

(cont)

Dilscoop
May 11, 2012, 06:34 PM
oh shiz, there is a poll. You can't see those on mobile version.

Tendulkar and Bradman aren't athletes, let alone "super athlete." They are super batsman.

Ajfar
May 11, 2012, 08:16 PM
Zeeshan bhai ki Soccer khela 2002 er pore ar dekhen nai? Ronaldinho is long gone man.

Anyway my super athletes are Kemba Walker and Vince Wilfork. Only because I had the pleasure of seeing these guys up close. I met Vince Wilfork 3 times. He's big, but when you see him right in front of your eyes it's 10 times bigger than you imagined. I mean the dude is beyond huge, and it's crazy how this big of a guy can actually move around in the field.

BengaliPagol
May 11, 2012, 08:36 PM
C. Ronaldo but i voted Usain Bolt

TigerEz
May 11, 2012, 10:30 PM
no shakib? he bats bowls and fields! also nasir

Zeeshan
May 11, 2012, 11:00 PM
Tendulkar and Bradman aren't athletes, let alone "super athlete." They are super batsman.

wat the..

dude....who do YOU count as an athelete let's hear...hell to some extent Kasparov can be an athelete as he used to lift weights for his game....brain being muscle and all..
+++

Of course one can go on forever with list...thats why i posted other. Need to watch some recent soccer right on AJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_9Tf279gEA&feature=related

Zeeshan
May 11, 2012, 11:01 PM
Nadal, Federer must be there somewhere.

Zeeshan
May 11, 2012, 11:02 PM
no shakib? He bats bowls and fields! Also nasir

[বাংলা] ও রলি, টাইগআর এজ? [/বাংলা]

Zunaid
May 11, 2012, 11:17 PM
Why not Daley Thomson? Now that's a deca-dimensional super-athlete. Now some in your list are not super-athletes, but are geniuses in the area of their sport several layers above the rest of the top of heir field. Jordan is not only one but also an athlete. And if you move away from the Western bias, we have super-athletes like Rudy Hartono, and Jahangir Khan.

Ajfar
May 11, 2012, 11:32 PM
I think BK bhai will be very disappointed Z, you didn't put Danicka Patrick on the list.

Dilscoop
May 11, 2012, 11:39 PM
Why not Daley Thomson? Now that's a deca-dimensional super-athlete. Now some in your list are not super-athletes, but are geniuses in the area of their sport several layers above the rest of the top of heir field. Jordan is not only one but also an athlete. And if you move away from the Western bias, we have super-athletes like Rudy Hartono, and Jahangir Khan.

Exactly. I tried to pick people from this era who I think would be an overall great athlete. In that case Sachin Tendulkar is not an "athlete" in my book, rather a great batsman in cricket. He is not fast, he has no speed. he is short and fat. He is defo not the strongest in his league.

I judge this based on "The Great S's of Sports."

Skill
Stamina
Strength
Speed
Suppleness

From cricket, I can only name a few names who come remotely close to having all of these. Dav Warner, AB de Villiers, Paul Collingwood, are defo right up there. They might not be rated as highly in their field, but they got the 5S's. Fielding is the only place in cricket where players' non-cricketing skills, athletic abilities show up. So it's not shocking that those guys are one of the best fielders in cricket. Rhodes should be there too. Fast bowlers also demonstrate those skills. (But for some reason they aren't as good of a fielder).

Muhammad Ali - the all time greatest super athlete.

(EDIT)

Best thing to do is forget about what they are good at, get rid of their scores/pts w/e and then go form there.

Dilscoop
May 11, 2012, 11:41 PM
Anyone mention Golf and Nascar in this, I will shot something.

Ajfar
May 11, 2012, 11:48 PM
Dilscoop one of the reason fast bowlers might not be as good as fielders as the ones you mentioned up top might have to do with avoiding injury. It's already a known fact fast bowlers are way more injury prone than other cricket players, so maybe they are just a bit extra cautious than the other fielders.

Dilscoop
May 11, 2012, 11:52 PM
^ True. It's pretty clear in their approach. Same goes for pitchers. They are very ... whats the word, when it comes to doing something special on the field. Most recent ex. mariano rivera.

Zeeshan
May 12, 2012, 01:13 AM
Guess I shouldn't have reinvented the wheel...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SportsCentury#SportsCentury:_Top_50_Athletes_of_th e_20th_Century_.28Original_series.29

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/130288-the-25-greatest-athletes-of-all-time

Zunaid
May 12, 2012, 01:20 AM
That's from an American but NOT global POV. A list missing the Khan's (Jamshed and Jahangir) or Hartono, or Daley Thomson, or Paavo Nurmi is not a real list.

Zeeshan
May 12, 2012, 01:22 AM
TBH, superathlete is a bit of a waffle term. I wonder who that mysterious person be from BD from any field. Shakib? Salahuddin?

Zunaid
May 12, 2012, 01:32 AM
TBH, superathlete is a bit of a waffle term. I wonder who that mysterious person be from BD from any field. Shakib? Salahuddin?

Brojen Das.

Zeeshan
May 12, 2012, 01:34 AM
Brojen Das.

Ah yes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brojen_Das

Well, than Musa Ibrahim shouldn't be that far off...

Zeeshan
May 12, 2012, 01:39 AM
..or Linu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zobera_Rahman_Linu)as "one of the greatest sportswoman ever from BD"

Tigers_eye
May 12, 2012, 06:11 AM
Mo Ali.

Second thought I would vote for Armstrong.

Zunaid
May 12, 2012, 06:36 AM
Ah yes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brojen_Das

Well, than Musa Ibrahim shouldn't be that far off...

Then do not forget Wasfia Nazreen. She is currently on and making her final assault on Mt Everest.

simon
May 12, 2012, 10:52 AM
Thread Phail,no Hasina?no Khaleda?

Amago dui khalamma'r shamne eigula shob i daal bhaat

Sohel
May 12, 2012, 12:50 PM
The one and only Bo Jackson ... :notworthy:

Beamer
May 17, 2012, 10:48 AM
The one and only Bo Jackson ... :notworthy:

I agree. I think Deion Sanders qualifies as well. He was also a true two sports superstar. One of the greatest CB of all time and a MLB player for Braves- no small feat.

Roey Haque
May 17, 2012, 11:34 AM
Why is Tiger Woods among on the choices? Should he be even considered an athlete?

I chose Michael Jordan. Super lean and super mean. Greatest at his skill.

But of course, if by super athlete you mean someone who transcended his sport in a truly global sense. Then its hands down Muhammad Ali.

Usain Bolt has the best body. But that alone wouldn't qualify him as super. Basketball and boxing both require more skills than tracks.

Maysun
May 17, 2012, 12:05 PM
I don't think Cristiano is the best player in the world, but the way that dude takes care of his physique and body is just mesmerizing

zsayeed
May 18, 2012, 10:09 AM
You missed Viv Richards who have played in the World Cup of Soccer and Cricket. He played soccer for Antigua for the qualifying matches for the Soccer World Cup 1974.

Bancan
May 18, 2012, 10:14 AM
The Great One, Wayne Gretzky. Federer and Nadal.

zinatf
May 18, 2012, 10:19 AM
You missed Viv Richards who have played in the World Cup of Soccer and Cricket. He played soccer for Antigua for the qualifying matches for the Soccer World Cup 1974.

:wow: that's some news!!

AsifTheManRahman
May 18, 2012, 10:34 AM
Only listing those I think are shooper dooper in their respective fields and not just great.

Futbol: Pele, Maradona
Ice Hockey: Gretzky
BB: Jordan
Sprinting: Bolt, Bailey
Swimming: Thorpedo, Spitz, Phelps, Das
Boxing: Ali, Tyson
Tennis: Sampras, Agassi, Nadal, Federer, Graf
Golf (if I may include it): Woods
Cricket: Bradman, Richards, al-Hasan (but IceMan > BradMan > Richards)

zinatf
May 18, 2012, 10:58 AM
Only listing those I think are shooper dooper in their respective fields and not just great.

As much as I would like to include him, but still....a long way to go...

Maysun
May 18, 2012, 01:46 PM

WHOA!! Didn't know that.. :o

zsayeed
May 18, 2012, 04:02 PM
Sorry, I meant to say: Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards

patriot
May 19, 2012, 03:18 AM
Football : Frank Lampard , Zidane
Cricket : Shakib Al Hassan and Chris Gayle

Sohel
May 19, 2012, 05:03 AM
I agree. I think Deion Sanders qualifies as well. He was also a true two sports superstar. One of the greatest CB of all time and a MLB player for Braves- no small feat.

Both Bo and Deion were exceptional track stars and swimmers also. Bo, much like that "Bo Knows" commercial of his heyday, was also a good basketball and later (believe it or not) a decent ice and roller hockey player, volleyball player and tube surfer! I've seen him play and surf myself. Not sure about soccer and cricket but I'm sure he'd have excelled at those also. Sadly, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away :(

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ekL3Nm4VD0M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sohel
May 19, 2012, 05:15 AM

Soccer: Messi, Zidane
Hockey: Orr, Mario, Yzerman, Lidstrom (next ones: Datsyuk, Malkin)
Sprinting: Bolt, Flo-Jo
Swimming: Phelps, Biondi
Boxing: Ali, Frazier, Ray Leonard
Tennis: Federer, Sampras, Nadal
Surfing: Slater
Triathlon: Mike Pigg
Cycling: Armstrong, LeMond
Cricket: Sir Viv

Zunaid
May 19, 2012, 05:16 AM
BUT - Neon 'Prime Time' Deion could dance!

Sohel
May 19, 2012, 05:19 AM
^True dat!

Zunaid
May 19, 2012, 05:41 AM
BUT - Neon 'Prime Time' Deion could dance!

^True dat!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TcWHBUBUuvc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sohel
May 19, 2012, 05:44 AM
Great dig. Takes me back to the days I watched some football. The Raiders and the Niners were something back then.

Zunaid
May 19, 2012, 05:49 AM
Great dig. Takes me back to the days I watched some football. The Raiders and the Niners were something back then.

I started as an Eagles and stayed an Eagle. The days of Randall Cunninghum and his fractures and then McMahon came and duct-taped almost made them go tom the Super Bowl. Even almost 8 years in San Diego did not make me into a Charger's fan, even with LT. Staid an Eagle (often to my sorrow).

Sohel
May 19, 2012, 05:56 AM
Never cared much about football until college and became a Niners and Raiders fan. My mom and I moved to suburban DC before that in 1979-1980 and I took only a passing interest in the NFL and the Redskins. Loved my first Superbowl when Lester Hayes and the Raiders prevailed over Jaws, Montgomery and the Eagles. But I did bring a particular distaste for the Cowgirls from the area to California. BTW, Chargers Winslow, Jefferson, Muncie and Fouts were some of my favorite players from that era bar none. Liked Montgomery and Carmichael from Philly. RC and Dough Williams are two of my all time favorites.

Hockey was my thing from day 1 and my mom indulged me with Caps season tickets via a USIS colleague. Watched the Caps but always loved the Red Wings followed by the Bruins and the Penguins. Later held both Sharks and Red Wings season tickets and flew in and out of Detroit a lot for the games.

Zunaid
May 19, 2012, 06:05 AM
I got hooked into football the first time - first game of the 1990 season. Hooked. Felt to me a physical game of chess - it's more nuanced than people give it credit for. Never got into hockey - couldn't see the puck until they started the blue streak.

Sohel
May 19, 2012, 06:08 AM
Gotta watch hockey live. It's a totally different experience. The game's simply too fast for TV. Even radio is better believe it or not. Sadly that's the only way for me to follow hockey now.

Zunaid
May 19, 2012, 06:19 AM
Gotta watch hockey live. It's a totally different experience. The game's simply too fast for TV. Even radio is better believe it or not. Sadly that's the only way for me to follow hockey now.

I was in a hockey backwater and never watched a live game. Football - yes, many times. Baseball - many times. Basketball - NBA - a couple of times. Sir Barkley when he was with the sixers.

Sohel
May 19, 2012, 06:24 AM
I don't blame you. Driving up to LA to watch either the Ducks or the Kings (I'm rooting for them this year, classic Cinderella stuff), as good as they are, is simply too much to ask if you're from far better places like SD or SF. I was forced to live in LA for a couple of weeks and felt borderline suicidal there. The vain, plastic, soulless environment devoid of culture and depth is scary.

Beamer
May 21, 2012, 12:51 PM
I started as an Eagles and stayed an Eagle. The days of Randall Cunninghum and his fractures and then McMahon came and duct-taped almost made them go tom the Super Bowl. Even almost 8 years in San Diego did not make me into a Charger's fan, even with LT. Staid an Eagle (often to my sorrow).

McMahon, McNabb, McNugget...don't matter who plays QB, Eagles are cursed. Big brother of Pennsylvania football lives on the other side of the state. Ya heard??:floor: