PDA

View Full Version : Streak: giant among pygmies

reverse_swing
March 12, 2004, 12:02 PM
Streak: giant among pygmies

The Wisden Verdict by John Ward

March 12, 2004

Zimbabwe, without ever convincing, levelled the one-day series by beating Bangladesh by 14 runs. It was another tense match with the side batting second coming close to their target without quite getting close enough.

Bangladesh were good with the ball and superb in the field, but their batting was not quite talented or experienced enough to do the job. Both teams were let down by their top orders, but Zimbabwe had the extra strength in the middle to make up for it.

Man of the Match was Heath Streak, and once again he performed the role of Atlas. He has assumed the mantle of Andy Flower, and without his contribution with bat, ball and in the field Zimbabwe would have lost again. He stabilised the middle order with 45 runs, he took four wickets for 30, he took two catches, and he executed a brilliant run-out. Streak, like Flower before him, is a giant among pygmies, although young stallions such as Sean Ervine and Raymond Price have already shown they are of genuine international quality.

Zimbabwe, nervy after their defeat on Wednesday, slumped to 79 for 5 before Ervine and Streak stepped in, as they have had to do so often recently with the continual failures of their top order. This turned the match, although they might well have put the target well out of Bangladesh's reach had Andy Blignaut been sent in ahead of Dion Ebrahim, although the latter did bat well. Blignaut, who blasted 28 not out off 17 balls, was again wasted at No. 9.

The second vital element was Streak's opening spell of seven overs, during which he took three wickets for just 16 runs. Bangladesh did well to come so close to their target after such an early setback, but they did not quite have the same middle-order firepower as Zimbabwe. Even so they fought superbly to the end, and set the stage for what should be a very tense deciding match on Sunday. Zimbabwe should be able to win, but can they overcome their tendency to choke under pressure?

Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

Navarene
March 12, 2004, 12:20 PM
Had Zimbabwe no world class all rounder like Heath Streak, we would have found an average opponent to win the ODI series. In fact, Streak made the difference between the two teams.

Beamer
March 12, 2004, 12:45 PM
no doubt about that

Pundit
March 12, 2004, 12:46 PM
Typically, for weaker teams, one player makes all the difference.

Had we done a little better in the test, I would have been more pleased. As always, we keep on letting just one or two players destroy us.

What we need is -

1) Get Masri back
2) Manjurul Rana will be much better than K Mahmud on a faster pitch (interesting !)
3) Between Bashar and Rajin, only one can fail in any game.

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by Pundit]

Beamer
March 12, 2004, 01:12 PM
All valid points. though our bowling and fielding were generally good, minus the last few overs at the end, one other glaring mistake was the number of extras we conceded today. 29 runs to be exact, is way too many for any team, let alone a team full of gentle medium pacers. We gotta help ourselves in that dept. Overall we are improving. I like our attitude.

Optimist
March 12, 2004, 02:16 PM
1. We need Bashar to do well. He scores his runs at a very good rate.

2. And when will our search for a stable opener be over? Experience does count! So let's stop the policy of choping and changing! Let the team management decide on a opening pair and let them play for atleast 10 matches even if they fail measurably! My choice: Javed and Hannan in the test!

Shahriyar and Nafis for the one dayers

Ockey
March 12, 2004, 02:26 PM
Whose idea was it to let Alok open? So far he has failed consistently. Replace him and have Hannan and Bidyut open. I only wish Alok had the depth to bowl effectively on any wicket. His batting certainly doesn't warrent his being in the OD team, even if he plays in the middle order. BD has better options, Rana being one of them.

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by Ockey]

Zunaid
March 12, 2004, 02:29 PM
Good comments all.

We seem to have a few general problems/issues to work out:

1. Good opening partnership - reduces the pressure on the middle order
2. Middle order still inconsistent
3. Lusty hitters at the tail
4. Lack of strike bowlers
5. To many extras - fielding has improved but our bowlers are still wayward

Assuming the availability of ALL players what would be your ideal team and the batting order for both Tests and ODIs?

- Z

Zephaniah
March 12, 2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Zunaid
Good comments all.

Assuming the availability of ALL players what would be your ideal team and the batting order for both Tests and ODIs?

Test Team
Shahrier Hossain/Javed Omar
Hannan Sarkar
Habibul Bashar
Rajin saleh
Mohammad Ashraful
Mushfiqur Rahman/Manjural Rana ( depending on pitch; spin=Rana, green-top=Babu)
Khaled Masud
Mohammad Rafiq
Taposh Baisha/Talha (subject to Talha's fitness and control over line-length)
Shahadut/Sharif (subject to Sharif's full recovery and Shahadut's experience)
Mashrafee Mortuza
12th Men: (i'll pick 4 players)
Alok Kapali ( he has everything except form/consistancy now, Bowling could be better!)
Enamul Haque junior (he needs to be in the touring team to gain experience)
Tareq Aziz ( Just in case, he proves himself worthy)
And the highest run getter from national league

ODI Team
Shahrier Hossain
Alok Kapali/ Nafiz Iqbal
(2 from above 3)
Habibul Bashar
Rajin saleh
Mohammad Ashraful
Mushfiqur Rahman
Manjural Rana
Khaled Masud
Mohammad Rafiq
Taposh Baisha
Mashrafee Mortuza

SS
March 12, 2004, 04:27 PM
Mahmud can play but what the heck he is doing..kapali was so good before i guess he is getting the desease of being "talented"...

SS
March 12, 2004, 04:32 PM
Bashar got plumbed again..he played cross the bat and also Rajin wanted to act like "Ash" when they wil l learn.

Rubu
March 12, 2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Ockey
Whose idea was it to let Alok open? So far he has failed consistently. Replace him and have Hannan and Bidyut open. I only wish Alok had the depth to bowl effectively on any wicket. His batting certainly doesn't warrent his being in the OD team, even if he plays in the middle order. BD has better options, Rana being one of them.

for this series bidyut is out of concern as he is unable to play. we might has to be stick to hannan and alok. to me it seems like we a machine that would make the openers think that they are not opening. and all problem will be solved. are they just nervous or what? whats the biggue about opening? why everyone fails?

SS
March 12, 2004, 05:00 PM
itz hard to see the seam or even know when the new ball comes very fast...openners are not used to it because they are used to facing medium pace.

Ockey
March 12, 2004, 05:22 PM
for this series bidyut is out of concern as he is unable to play. we might has to be stick to hannan and alok. to me it seems like we a machine that would make the openers think that they are not opening. and all problem will be solved. are they just nervous or what? whats the biggue about opening? why everyone fails

Shahriar Hossain Bidyut played in the 3rd ODI. When was he deemed unfit or "unable to play"? Sorry if have I have kept up with the news for the last couple of days.

3rd ODI Scorecard: Zim vs. BD (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/BDESH_IN_ZIM/SCORECARDS/BDESH_ZIM_ODI3_10MAR2004.html)

Rubu
March 12, 2004, 11:30 PM
he was not completely fit on 3rd oid. recall that he was not comfortable getting runs. then, while FIELDING he got hart again on his butt (at least thats what they says, u think there could be some other reason? lol). he'll unavailable for the 5th odi as well.

sage
March 13, 2004, 06:36 AM
BD is playing nice as team. Everybody does not perform good everyday. Personaly I would like to see rana in. How inclusion of rana change the team chemistry is my concern.

Hasib
March 13, 2004, 06:52 AM
If we wanna win the 5th ODI, we must get Streak out early

rassel
March 13, 2004, 02:18 PM
Streak seems to be handing our spin pretty well. I think he is venerable to pace bowing! So when he comes to bat our pace bowler should be in action right way.

fy288
March 15, 2004, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Zunaid

.................................................. .................
we had a century opening stand at a decent run rate, but i think the middle order relaxed far too much, thinking getting 200+ was a stroll in the park.
BD will get 300 in ODI one day, if openers make a good start (century stand) and the middle and lower order bat like the score is 35/3. Players need to be mentally tough.

WE IMPROVING AND WE WILL COMPETE UNTIL THE GAME ENDS, SOMETHING WHICH WE NEVER PREVIOUSLY DID. West indies have to watch themselves, coz the TIGERS r coming!!!!!:fanflag:

[Edited on 15-3-2004 by fy288]

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 15, 2004, 01:26 PM
jaihok,
khela kintu shesh hoye gelo. amra kintu here gelam. tobe amra kintu onek improve koreche shebepare kintu kono shondeho nai. tobe ami mone kori je hannan ebong biddot ar opening kora uchit. jodi rana successful tobuo ami take opening a dekhte chai na. karon rana is like a dependable batsman. bipoder shomoy shokta hat a hal dhore thaken. tai prothomai jodi amra take harai tahole amra kintu bipode porte pari. echara kapali might be a good player and he is a good player but he failed again. shutorang take namanor ar kono karon dekhi na. tobe bangladesh dol kintu onek extra diyeche ebapare kintu shondeho nai. ar prodhan karon kintu amader boling line up kintu shoktishali noi. aziz tini hoito nayok. tini oi matchtite peyechilen 3ti wicket. ebong shai last over a peyechilen 2ti wicket. tobe tini kintu moteo antorjatik maner noi. tar shathe kintu taposh kingba mashrafee ar tulona hoi na. line ebong length kintu akhono tar khub akta thik nai. jar karone amra extra beshi dichhi. amaderke oboshhoi bhobishhote eta komate hobe. tanahole this could make the difference. well streak is a world class player. he is capable of playing both spin and pace. shujon tar kotha ar bolte chaina. ai muhurte kintu ami kapali ar theke shujon ke prefer korbo. tobe ami mone kori na shujon ar substitue rana. ami mone kori shujon ar substitue kapali. tobe kapali jodi niyomito bol korte tahole kintu chitrota bhinno hoto. dannabad.