PDA

View Full Version : Players You Never Want To See Play For Bangladesh Again

Sohel
May 22, 2012, 08:35 AM
We're talking about dead weight still threatening a return. Some can't bat. Some can't bowl. Some can't handle the pressure. Some are just too freaking dumb. You may vote for multiple players in this poll.

Note the notable absence of Md. Nazimuddin alongside permanent discards Aftab Ahmed Chowdhury, Shamsur Rahman Shubho and Mehrab Hossain Orion. They aren't coming back.

Zunaid
May 22, 2012, 08:44 AM
I am not sure I am ready yet to consign Imrul to the dustbin of history.

Naimul_Hd
May 22, 2012, 08:46 AM
voted for 9 sparing 'Nayeem Islam' and 'Vimrul KayEdge'.

Nayeem can still be tried in ODIs whereas KayEdge in Test.

BengaliPagol
May 22, 2012, 09:17 AM
out of the list probably Shahadat.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

crikss
May 22, 2012, 09:25 AM

Although Kayedge plays slow in ODI but at least he score some runs but when it comes to Test he sucks big time

simon
May 22, 2012, 09:41 AM

lol,did u just say the opposite on purpose?

And Sohel bhai, u really like Shofiul,dont ya :facepalm:

anyway,voted Olok,Rock :( (looking at better players like Anamul,Mominul I don't think we will need him :( ) & Shahadat.

Razi
May 22, 2012, 09:43 AM
Wow Sohel bhai; how did JuSi, one of your favorite boys, make that list?

zinatf
May 22, 2012, 09:47 AM
Voting results for Sharapova's 100% :lol:

Naimul_Hd
May 22, 2012, 09:51 AM

:D :up::up:

MohammedC
May 22, 2012, 09:52 AM
No disrespect Sohel bhai I would not wish anything like that to any of the player. For some I would give them another chance providing they do something extra ordinary in domestic matches.

for example: If Rokibul scores 3 back to back double century I will give him another chance with the "A" team.

simon
May 22, 2012, 10:04 AM
hahaha,MoC bhai and his Rock fever :(

simon
May 22, 2012, 10:09 AM
I mean according to me this poll ain't right, it features so many players that I believe have a lot to give,some of them are even quite indispensable for some certain formats, like Razzaq for ODIs,Kaedge for ODIs, Ash for T20s,

riankhan
May 22, 2012, 10:10 AM
In T20 - Shahadat, Rock, SN
In ODIs - Ash, Shahadat
Test - Ash, Alok

zinatf
May 22, 2012, 10:17 AM

Rotone roton chine...ahha ki shundor "Dostana" dujonar ;)

Tiger444
May 22, 2012, 10:22 AM
Well it's not like I don't want to see these guys again but I feel there are better options out there and hence some of these guys days should be numbered. The only guys I didn't pick were Imrul, Junaid, Jahurul, Razzak, and Naeem.

The reason Imrul and Junaid should stay on is because our top order batting is still weak and we can't really rule out them just yet although they've had many chances already to prove themselves. I want Anamul to be tried out in the opener's spot or the #3 and I think Jahurul needs more chances.

Razzak stays on as he had a very good Asia Cup and is 1 of our better bowlers for ODIs Don't forget he's played a key role in many of our wins against the big teams. Also I believe Naeem is still an option for Tests but even then it'll be tough for him since there is Mominul and Shuvagata who are better prospects.

As for the rest, I hate to say it but I just think that they should be history. As I said before, there are better options out there and we should look past these players and give chances to the other youngsters.

MohammedC
May 22, 2012, 10:48 AM
hahaha,MoC bhai and his Rock fever :(

I don't have Rock fever. Or Ashraful fever.

Night_wolf
May 22, 2012, 10:50 AM
this is a conspiracy thread against ASH!

MohammedC
May 22, 2012, 10:50 AM
Why Jahurul Islam in that list? How many chance was he given ?

Mahmood
May 22, 2012, 11:07 AM
We should never rule any player out. Look at Misbah 2.0.

It is ok to drop someone based on performance, but to wish never to see play... not a true fan. We always want the best 11 play for the national team, whoever they might be.

Equinox
May 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
Voted for SN, Shuvo, Rokibul, Naeem and Shahadat. But what I mean strictly is that given their current ability and most recent performances and the amount of chances they've had they shouldn't be playing at the international level right now and that there are better players on the horizon. However, I would never root for any player to fail. In fact, given how most of these guys are still young I hope they improve for the sake of our domestic cricket at least.

MohammedC
May 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
Change the thread title to which players you dont like to see in next 2/3 series. And I will vote.

Tiger444
May 22, 2012, 11:47 AM
Voted for SN, Shuvo, Rokibul, Naeem and Shahadat. But what I mean strictly is that given their current ability and most recent performances and the amount of chances they've had they shouldn't be playing at the international level right now and that there are better players on the horizon. However, I would never root for any player to fail. In fact, given how most of these guys are still young I hope they improve for the sake of our domestic cricket at least.

:up: I really hope so too. It would increase the competition in our team and players wouldn't take their spots for granted.

beshideshi
May 22, 2012, 11:55 AM

It is ok to drop someone based on performance, but to wish never to see play... not a true fan. We always want the best 11 play for the national team, whoever they might be.

Exactly. These guys have gone through the ranks and have shown they are worthy to play at the national level. They might be lacking skills, but with hard work and some new ideas, we can see any of these players rise up.

I do not wish to discard any player from the Bangladeshi side, I hope every on on the list [and outside the list] performs well and makes the selector's job the hardest there is.

Rifat
May 22, 2012, 12:02 PM
Times change...

Night_wolf
May 22, 2012, 12:02 PM
i would like to know who are the 5 guys who haven't voted for Sharapova

MohammedC
May 22, 2012, 01:01 PM
Times change...

And can change for better for any of these guys from that list. I am going to bookmark this and come back later.

I will bump it again.

kalpurush
May 22, 2012, 01:23 PM

I have my own Tiger squad, but never wish any player to be out of national team forever as well. You perform, you make yourself in the squad - that should be the selection criteria.

Shahadat is still good for Test, Razzak and Imrul is still good for ODI and Ash could be in T20 team IMHO. :)

Ahsan
May 22, 2012, 01:24 PM
i would like to know who are the 5 guys who haven't voted for Sharapova

I am one here :P

simon
May 22, 2012, 01:26 PM
I also hate the idea of discarding any player,so for the time being I'll just go with Alok Kapali aka Aftab v.2

M.H.Rubel
May 22, 2012, 01:31 PM
this is a conspiracy thread against ASH!

LOL.
Definately lot of people will vote against him and lot in fever.Ultimately it will become an ash thread.

MohammedC
May 22, 2012, 01:51 PM
Mahmood Bhai an Obayed Bhai's post are top post.

Never wish anything like that.

RazabQ
May 22, 2012, 02:01 PM
What Mahmood said. If someone as talentless as a Mark Richardson or Colin "funky" Miller can have a long career, and a Misbah can become a success at age 37, I don't see why any of these players can't reinvent themselves.

Tiger444
May 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
What Mahmood said. If someone as talentless as a Mark Richardson or Colin "funky" Miller can have a long career, and a Misbah can become a success at age 37, I don't see why any of these players can't reinvent themselves.

The problem is that I don't see any of these current players changing their games though. I still see the same brainfarts from Ash and Alok. The same Rokibul still playing way too late on deliveries. The same Shahadat still bowling freebies. The same Imrul still edging away.

I just haven't seen these guys making adjustments to their games so that they can be successful in international cricket. I don't doubt that these guys don't have talent because they all do but why do we see the same mistakes from them over and over again? This is a really big problem and it's really a shame because it would make our team so much better had these players been able to rectify their mistakes. I suppose you can blame the lack of coaching available but in the end these players are at fault because they haven't been able to correct their mistakes after all these years.

mij
May 22, 2012, 03:36 PM
Shahadat and ash

Rubu
May 22, 2012, 03:47 PM
I just voted for 1. Anyone wants to know who that is?

Rabz
May 22, 2012, 05:01 PM
Can't vote for anyone "never" want to see.
As a cricket lover, follower and supporter, personally, I can't wish for anyone's permanent departure.
Anyone who can perform and get their place back on the team and can perform, are more than welcome to play for the national team. If someone works hard and shows their worth to be considered in the national team, let it be. This is bread and butter for this players.

Rifat
May 22, 2012, 05:20 PM
Shivnarayan Chaunderpaul is an excellent example for someone with as cricinfo describes it as "Crabby Technique" but immense Success...

Hashim Amla: Early in his career, his critics thought that this guy will do miserable in ODI(look at him now)

Roquibul Hassan: back in the day, He was highly valued in BC by many people! we thought he was gonna ROCK the Test arena...look at him now

Moral of the story: We cannot predict future!

idrinkh2O
May 22, 2012, 05:22 PM
Did/will not vote. Best wishes to all the players! :bighug:

I want every person to be successful and to reach their highest potentials during their lifetime. :)

Enjoy this! (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=1525367&postcount=135)

Roey Haque
May 22, 2012, 05:24 PM
Mushfiqur Rahim. This is too easy. Come on, now!

Wakidul
May 22, 2012, 05:48 PM
Something makes me really sad about this threat. So what do we do if players (those listed above), without our awareness actually visit this website and forum, and c this thread. Do u think we are motivating them in any way, in fact tis like we are back bitting them which is quite naturally going to have the negative effect on their moral. Some of those guys listed above were at one time considered extremely talented in Bangladesh hence y they got selected originally and even showed glimpses of this at international level, therfore suggesting they can perform at top level, just matter of consistency. Surely instead of wishing for bad upon someone we should try encourage them. Now i dont c a problem with listing those players and then talking about areas of weakness for each player, but just to single them out as a failure. Thats just unfair. At the end of the day, if the fellow fans of a country dont support their players, who will?

crikss
May 22, 2012, 06:42 PM
this thread is sick. Can't vote for anyone and best of luck to to all BD players.

al Furqaan
May 22, 2012, 07:23 PM
I couldn't vote for any of them, but I think the least useful players in that list are Raqibul and Shubho.

cricket_king
May 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
Rakibul Hasan. Think of him like the Bangladesh team's 2000-2003 era. NEVER AGAIN.

Ajfar
May 22, 2012, 09:52 PM
We should just make this our T20 squad. With SN, Rock and Rajib, we are in business for sure.

Sohel
May 22, 2012, 11:07 PM
Not wanting to see some players play for the national team again because they're likely to reduce our chances, does not mean we want them to fail once they're in uniform. Conflating the two is utterly emo and nonsensical. The purpose of this thread is to see who those players are. Looks like Shahadat, Alok and Rokibul are leading the pack.

Tiger444
May 22, 2012, 11:20 PM
Sohel bhai, I'm surprised you didn't have Nazim in since you've been a critic of him
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

Night_wolf
May 22, 2012, 11:21 PM
not surprised to see jahurul getting the list number of votes as he should have never been on this list, Sahadat leading the pack is no surprise also..but i am surprise that imrul only got 5 votes..they way people bash him here you'd think he would have been one of the front runner

Tiger444
May 22, 2012, 11:27 PM
not surprised to see jahurul getting the list number of votes as he should have never been on this list, Sahadat leading the pack is no surprise also..but i am surprise that imrul only got 5 votes..they way people bash him here you'd think he would have been one of the front runner

Its because our top order is still yet to be solved and there aren't as many top order batsmen in the set up compared to the middle order batsmen. So its no surprise. Even though we bash Imrul, he's still needed in the team along with Junaid and Jahurul.

patriot
May 22, 2012, 11:38 PM
For all those who voted against Mohammed Ashraful , do you feel we have better options than him in T20 ? Most of you would easily have him in your T20 squad for the upcoming T20 world cup.

Having watched Sohrawardi Shuvo live , I havent seen a more energetic player on the feild than this guy. Fields with a passion but thats about it . Nothing special with the ball and given our Arsenal of left armers , we have far better choices than him . Unless Shuvo improves dramatically with the bat in domestic cricket , I dont see him wearing a red and green ever.

Rokibul is lucky to be a Bangladeshi . Had he been a player of Zimbabwe or Ireland or even Kenya , he would have at best been playing in their second division teams .

What does Shadhat Hossain bring to the table ? A grunt every bowl , 2 guaranteed 4's every over , one slowish 'hit me for a six' bouncer and not to forget poor fielding . A definite NO for T20 and ODI'S . An option in test matches if the first 5 fast bowlers in the team are injured.

Sohel
May 22, 2012, 11:40 PM
Sohel bhai, I'm surprised you didn't have Nazim in since you've been a critic of him

I don't think there's a chance he's coming back.

Ian Pont
May 22, 2012, 11:59 PM
Something makes me really sad about this threat. So what do we do if players (those listed above), without our awareness actually visit this website and forum, and c this thread. Do u think we are motivating them in any way, in fact tis like we are back bitting them which is quite naturally going to have the negative effect on their moral. Some of those guys listed above were at one time considered extremely talented in Bangladesh hence y they got selected originally and even showed glimpses of this at international level, therfore suggesting they can perform at top level, just matter of consistency. Surely instead of wishing for bad upon someone we should try encourage them. Now i dont c a problem with listing those players and then talking about areas of weakness for each player, but just to single them out as a failure. Thats just unfair. At the end of the day, if the fellow fans of a country dont support their players, who will?

Bhai, I think the crowd shouting: "bhua, bhua" at it's own team or an individual is far more hurtful and has an immediate negative effect than anything posted on here.

Ian Pont
May 23, 2012, 12:01 AM
Rakibul Hasan. Think of him like the Bangladesh team's 2000-2003 era. NEVER AGAIN.

Sons of Jamie: Rocky and Junaid. I don;t think JS would be very happy with you after all the years he spent pushing them

fiasnahk
May 23, 2012, 12:17 AM
I voted Shahadat, Ash and Rock. These guys are ones who have been given so many chances and now really look like they dont deserve anymore. Younger bowlers should be invested in rather than shahadat. He cant even get over 130kph and has no swing or seam. Rock just bats himself into a hole and gets out. Dont want to talk about Ash. With new players emerging and people like Jaharul and Nasir with talent in the team, no reason to give these guys a go. I still think there is room in the test squad for Naeem, in place of Riyad. But dont let him bowl.

Sohel
May 23, 2012, 12:26 AM
As a test playing nation, we should set our standards high, expect the very best from ourselves, and always play to win no matter what the odds happen to be. Can't let the ego, ignorance, wishful thinking and personal fondness for certain players damage our country's chances for a win. Dead weight will pull the whole team down. The Asia Cup final should have made that painfully and glaringly obvious.

Players who haven't been able to rectify fundamental flaws for years shouldn't be given repeated chances to use the national team for rehab and "sorting out their issues". I think our country and flag deserve more respect than that sort of neighborhood club treatment and celebration of mediocrity. As OUR, not anyone else's history shows (who is our Hayden/Misbah exactly?), that world be a stupid gamble. Domestic bullies who obviously cannot hack it at the highest level because we play better opposition in more competitive conditions under tremendous pressure, are also a waste of time. This is real, not EA Cricket. Statistics without context will mislead everyone.

That being said, of course we want these guys to "prove us wrong" and make us eat our words with solid (not streaky) and consistent (not Eid) performances. Sadly the only time they prove us wrong is when they let themselves down. I won't talk about guys without the ability to play at this level. I don't blame them but the selectors who bring them into the side. But guys with good to good enough ability, guys like Opi, Rokon, Ashraful, Alok, Aftab, Shahriar Nafees, Nafis Iqbal, the Pre-Siddons Junaid and Imrul certainly have "proved us wrong". All of these guys showed a great deal of promise one way or another but failed to deliver because of their inability to rectify either the technique, the temperament or the attitude that makes them fail repeatedly. Maybe some of the young guys we're backing now will follow suit but I feel they deserve a go. We got the current backbone of our team, including Nasir and probably Bijauy and Shubhagauto soon enough, BECAUSE young players with ability got a fair shake in a team full of holes dug deep by mediocre to crap players.

Improved temperament or technique alone won't jack unless you have the desire to improve both and work hard on your own to do it. Tamim did it with Salahuddin following a string of international failures after the 2007 World Cup and look where he may go from here. The desire to do that is as important an ability as "sighting the ball early", "swinging the ball at pace" or "spinning the ball". You have to be ABLE to apply what you've got and produce sustainable results, that's ability. Then again guys like Ashraful (talented) and Rokibul (sans talent) also work hard but fail for opposite reasons. The former has time but makes moronic decisions, and the latter simply can't make a decision until the ball hits his bat because that's when he sees it. Premeditated shots produce predictable results for both.

Anyway, the only guy I was kinda/sorta apprehensive about putting on this list -- I voted for all of them BTW -- is Jahurul Islam, a so-so but busy player like Nayeem and MS Shubho with a solid work ethic and a more positive mindset. But his schizoid technique coupled with the inability to handle pressure won't make me bet on him to succeed. I think he's Hannan Sarkar 2.0.

I didn't put Md. Nazimuddin on that list because it is deeply embarrassing to even consider someone like him for a test playing nation in international cricket. Players like that makes everyone think we don't have anyone better when we clearly do. I want to see 11 players with ability playing for a truly full strength Bangladesh team FOR ONCE!

Sohel
May 23, 2012, 01:13 AM
Bhai, I think the crowd shouting: "bhua, bhua" at it's own team or an individual is far more hurtful and has an immediate negative effect than anything posted on here.

Exactly. As exasperated as I have been of late seeing almost guaranteed failures like Ashraful, Alok, Junaid, Imrul, Abir, EVEN Rokibul and Nazimuddin get a chance, my heart breaks when I see them fail wearing the Green and Red. I don't deal with such disappointment, though half expected by now, by being angry at the players. If anything, I get angry later at BCB corruption and idiocy for poorly developing our cricketers in a neglected FC set up, selecting them based on GOD knows what (lobbying and nepotism actually), and then justifying those baffling selections through decontextualized statistical geekfesting and other forms of intellectual dishonesty that still fool quite a few folks out there.

Gowza
May 23, 2012, 01:49 AM
There is some good talent coming through and they should be tried and tested, anamul is a great example, we have guys like nazim at the top of the order instead of giving a young deserving and promising anamul ago. Guys like ash, aftab, alok, shahadat, nazim, unless they've improved a lot they shouldn't be selected. Youngsters who deserve it should be selected.

Shaan
May 23, 2012, 01:56 AM

the best example, I have many times said this if Misbah could start and play at late age then why we BD people are so much in hurry to bring someone in and out so quickly. No one deserves permanent place or permanent kick out. Who ever perform best they are ready to have play. I'm pissed off with ALok about his BPL cowardly attitude and thought he shouldn't be near our team unless he figure out cowards are not for int.cricket but I don't wan't to kick him out forever, same goes with Ashraful he doesn't perform but still everyone knows he is not totally dead yet.

Sohel
May 23, 2012, 02:17 AM
the best example, I have many times said this if Misbah could start and play at late age then why we BD people are so much in hurry to bring someone in and out so quickly. No one deserves permanent place or permanent kick out. Who ever perform best they are ready to have play. I'm pissed off with ALok about his BPL cowardly attitude and thought he shouldn't be near our team unless he figure out cowards are not for int.cricket but I don't wan't to kick him out forever, same goes with Ashraful he doesn't perform but still everyone knows he is not totally dead yet.

Best example? Really? How about a little real life context here. Messi is a soccer player playing for his country as is Ameli. Expecting Ameli to do on the world stage what Messi can do because of that kind of common denominator is alternate reality stuff.

But for the sake of friendly argument, who is your Hayden or Misbah in Bangladesh -- technique, temperament and desire-wise even when they were out of the team -- and why? Domestic performance, especially in the picnic cricket we call NCL, cannot be a measure because it is OUR, not Australia or Pakistan's set up with better bowlers and more competitive matches on better pitches actually meaning something. Maybe extensive A Team cricket or playing Ranji is the solution until our NCL is no longer a cruel joke, but none is happening anytime soon. So what else is there except raw ability and performance ONLY at the highest level? :)

BengaliPagol
May 23, 2012, 02:56 AM
Shahadat just disappoints me. Everyone else i think does deserve a chance. Even Rokibul in my opinion. Maybe not Kapali.

Sohel
May 23, 2012, 03:16 AM
Looks like Shahadat is running away with the title as of now. The second place is a toss-up between Alok and Rokibul with Ashraful stamping his authority at number 4. Aumi will finish last with Razzak, Kayes and Siddiqui comfortably secured around the better parts of irrelevance. Abir and Nayeem are on the worse part with Shubho in the middle of these "eyakhono ashte pare" and "bodhhauy ar ashbena" clusters.

Sohel
May 23, 2012, 05:34 AM
Ashraful just hit 20. Perhaps Nafees is next.

Naimul_Hd
May 23, 2012, 06:08 AM
As a test playing nation, we should set our standards high, expect the very best from ourselves, and always play to win no matter what the odds happen to be. Can't let the ego, ignorance, wishful thinking and personal fondness for certain players damage our country's chances for a win. Dead weight will pull the whole team down. The Asia Cup final should have made that painfully and glaringly obvious.

Players who haven't been able to rectify fundamental flaws for years shouldn't be given repeated chances to use the national team for rehab and "sorting out their issues". I think our country and flag deserve more respect than that sort of neighborhood club treatment and celebration of mediocrity. As OUR, not anyone else's history shows (who is our Hayden/Misbah exactly?), that world be a stupid gamble. Domestic bullies who obviously cannot hack it at the highest level because we play better opposition in more competitive conditions under tremendous pressure, are also a waste of time. This is real, not EA Cricket. Statistics without context will mislead everyone.

That being said, of course we want these guys to "prove us wrong" and make us eat our words with solid (not streaky) and consistent (not Eid) performances. Sadly the only time they prove us wrong is when they let themselves down. I won't talk about guys without the ability to play at this level. I don't blame them but the selectors who bring them into the side. But guys with good to good enough ability, guys like Opi, Rokon, Ashraful, Alok, Aftab, Shahriar Nafees, Nafis Iqbal, the Pre-Siddons Junaid and Imrul certainly have "proved us wrong". All of these guys showed a great deal of promise one way or another but failed to deliver because of their inability to rectify either the technique, the temperament or the attitude that makes them fail repeatedly. Maybe some of the young guys we're backing now will follow suit but I feel they deserve a go. We got the current backbone of our team, including Nasir and probably Bijauy and Shubhagauto soon enough, BECAUSE young players with ability got a fair shake in a team full of holes dug deep by mediocre to crap players.

Improved temperament or technique alone won't jack unless you have the desire to improve both and work hard on your own to do it. Tamim did it with Salahuddin following a string of international failures after the 2007 World Cup and look where he may go from here. The desire to do that is as important an ability as "sighting the ball early", "swinging the ball at pace" or "spinning the ball". You have to be ABLE to apply what you've got and produce sustainable results, that's ability. Then again guys like Ashraful (talented) and Rokibul (sans talent) also work hard but fail for opposite reasons. The former has time but makes moronic decisions, and the latter simply can't make a decision until the ball hits his bat because that's when he sees it. Premeditated shots produce predictable results for both.

Anyway, the only guy I was kinda/sorta apprehensive about putting on this list -- I voted for all of them BTW -- is Jahurul Islam, a so-so but busy player like Nayeem and MS Shubho with a solid work ethic and a more positive mindset. But his schizoid technique coupled with the inability to handle pressure won't make me bet on him to succeed. I think he's Hannan Sarkar 2.0.

I didn't put Md. Nazimuddin on that list because it is deeply embarrassing to even consider someone like him for a test playing nation in international cricket. Players like that makes everyone think we don't have anyone better when we clearly do. I want to see 11 players with ability playing for a truly full strength Bangladesh team FOR ONCE!

Could not agree more Sohel bhai specially your remarks on Ash, Rok and Nazim. Spot on :)

zsayeed
May 23, 2012, 06:24 AM
Such a negative thread and negative mindset!

Zunaid
May 23, 2012, 06:54 AM
Such a negative thread and negative mindset!

Harrumph. I am seeing eye to eye with ZS bhai. Sohel, bro, don't let this prevent you from inviting me to dinner when I'm in Dhaka in June.

Sohel
May 23, 2012, 07:13 AM
^Mi casa es siempre tu casa compaƱero, no matter what happens here :)

That being said, I feel some negativity is necessary on occasion especially when sugarcoating everything creates niggling problems of their own. I wanted know where the listed players stand, that's all. Of course I respect the opinions of those who feel otherwise.

Anyway, Rajib just hit 30 at with 70.4%. Recently I spoke to 100 cricket pagol kids at a school about dead weight/harmful players and no less than 98 wanted Rajib out. So he's doing pretty well here in comparison. That's a positive!

Ian Pont
May 23, 2012, 07:34 AM

These are not some meanderings of a deluded, negative fan but a well-thought through accurate diatribe of exactly where BD cricket is right now.

What's interesting though, is if an Indian fan had said this.

cricket_king
May 23, 2012, 07:43 AM
Sons of Jamie: Rocky and Junaid. I don;t think JS would be very happy with you after all the years he spent pushing them

Far be it from me to criticise, but I'd say he either wasted his time on a couple of somewhat selfish, not-so-talented players, or he just didn't do a very good job.

Tiger444
May 23, 2012, 10:25 AM

This is really a great post and I agree, as fans we should set our standards high. Bangladesh does have the ability to become a top level Test playing nation one day. The potential is there. It's just a matter of putting it together. I feel we're heading in to the right direction in picking a good team but still there are some holes in our team.

I think Jahurul deserves to have more chances in the national team. I know in 3 of the 4 more matches he failed but let's not forget that he played a crucial role in our win against India. If he can repeat that innings more often, then we have quite a good player on our hands. We have to be a little patient since as we know, there is a huge gulf between our domestic cricket and international cricket. So it's understandable to see him struggling against the likes of Gul and Malinga. I don't think he should be considered for T20I's but definitely for ODI's and Tests. If he fails in another tour or 2 then we should consider other players but for now Jahurul should stay on.

Also it's really time we try out Anamul. He's a huge prospect and coach Ian has said that he will be a special player. On top of that, we have major problems with our top order. So we really should be looking to slot him in. Don't care if he bats at the #2 or #3, just put him in. If he succeeds then he would fill a huge need for our team.

kalpurush
May 23, 2012, 12:08 PM
^Mi casa es siempre tu casa compaƱero, no matter what happens here :)

Our own Sohel bhai :notworthy:

^^^ that's where others lack in .... which is sad.

kalpurush
May 23, 2012, 12:10 PM
These are not some meanderings of a deluded, negative fan but a well-thought through accurate diatribe of exactly where BD cricket is right now.

What's interesting though, is if an Indian fan had said this.
I can see the pic, though don't wanna describe it...!!!:facepalm:

Zeeshan
May 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
Ian,
Sohel is r.a.w is w.a.r

BD Rox
May 24, 2012, 01:24 AM
It's so embarrassing to see players like Naffes, Imrul, Jahurul, Alok in the poll.
Haire!:facepalm:

shakibrulz
May 24, 2012, 06:49 AM
Shahadat and Ash, cant decide whos worse.

AbuDarda
May 24, 2012, 07:48 AM
Voted for shahadat,alok and rokibul, I wish they will never given any chance in the future,they are really a bunch nothing!!!

Max100
May 24, 2012, 09:38 AM
I vote for mostofa kamal

mufi_02
May 24, 2012, 09:44 AM
Top 5 so far --

1. Shahadat Hossain - Not surprising because the wound is still fresh. As a spin-dominant team, we will never play more than 3 seamers in any condition. For T20 and ODI, Mash/Rubel are automatic pick. In pace-friendly conditions, third seamer will be tried and Nazmul/Shafi will fight for that. There are upcoming pacers like Alauddin Babu, Abul Hossain Raju, and Al Amin. This makes it very hard for Shahadat to make it into the team. But our selectors and traditionalist might favor him because he has more experience than all except Mash. I think its the beginning of the end for him. He needs to have 1-2 extraordinary domestic seasons and A tours. That's the only option he has left.

mufi_02
May 24, 2012, 09:53 AM
2. Md. Rokibul Hassan - A promising player who was thought to be the answer for our vulnerable middle order. He had good start in his career and averaged 30+ in his early days but slowly faded away. He is a slow player who likes to put a value on his wicket and grinds it out in the middle. Thus test format should be his format. But after 9 test, his avg is only 19.76 and in 18 innings has only 1 half century. In ODIs, avg is 27 but in this modern day of ODI where 250-270 are considered par scores, his SR is only 61. He was dropped but was left in the wings in A tours. But his recent scores against WI A team was 27,5,28,0,0,11,9,11. Same as Shahadat, he needs to perform heavily in NCL and DPL. I think he will be left out of BPL again.

mufi_02
May 24, 2012, 10:01 AM
3. Alok Kapali - very different player than Rokibul Hassan but his stats is even poorer. Test and ODI avg is 17 and 19 respectively. Bowling is also very poor. He is known for his big hitting and showed few glimpses in the now defunct ICL. But in reality he is bits and pieces type of player. He really doesn't know his role in the team. Sometimes plays a pure batsmen and other times taken as a handy bowler but barely contributes in either department. I think he needs to concentrate on either batting or bowling. His batting lacks proper technique but depends heavily on power, much like Dhoni or Yusuf Pathan. BPL is the platform him. He needs to perform like Yusuf Pathan did in earlier versions of IPL. Then he can make into national T20 side. No future for him Test or ODI side.

Rubu
May 24, 2012, 01:33 PM
I vote for mostofa kamal
Now that's smart.

BD Rox
May 24, 2012, 01:41 PM
Now that's smart.

Not only smart, cool!:)

Tiger444
May 24, 2012, 02:37 PM
Great analysis Mufi bhai. You pretty much covered everything there. The main thing that hurt those 3 you mentioned was the fact that they didn't improve enough. They all showed promise in the beginning but unfortunately failed to sustain the success.

Shahadat, in my opinion, is a goner. I'd be very surprised if he plays for Bangladesh again. He's still way too expensive for the shorter forms after all these years and just doesn't pick up enough wickets in Tests after all these years. And then last year he had an average of about a 200 in Tests which was much worse then our other pacers. By now he should've been leading our attack but still bowls the most immature out of all our pacers. It's time we invest in the likes of Babu, Abul, and Al-Amin. Then of course within the national team we should continue to look to develop Mash, Rubel, Nazmul and Shafiul.

Alok and Rokibul are pretty much goners as well. They of course didn't help themselves as well but our middle order is a lot more crowded then the top. Mushy, Shakib, Riyad, and Nasir are all regulars in the team and it'll be tough to uproot them. Even if 1 of them get injured, you got Shuvagata and Mominul sitting on the sidelines waiting and they're both big time talents as well. Not to mention, Shabbir will soon come in to the ranks. So our middle order is not really a worry.

mufi_02
May 24, 2012, 02:53 PM
4. Mohammed Ashraful Matin - Without a doubt, the most gifted and most talented player in this list. And also without a doubt, the biggest disappointment in our cricket to date. Before Shak, Mash, TI, Mushy...Ash was the face of BD cricket.

Its hard to identify where it all went wrong. Multiple coaches tried with him and he himself employed different techniques but was never able to find that consistency. But I strongly believe that he still has something left to contribute to our cricket. He needs to follow Afridi Model. They are both aggressive stroke player with little brain. In T20/ODI he can come as a slogger/finisher but his main role should be bowling. If Nayeem/Riyad/Forhad Reza can be tried in that role, than why not Ash? His bowling is good and he is able to take wickets. He took wickets in DPL and now picking up regular wickets for Kent in early spring English conditions. Let's try the Afridi model and see if it works. I want to see him again.

mufi_02
May 24, 2012, 03:02 PM
5. Shahriar Nafees - Another ICL rebel. Nafees' stats are good comparing to BD standards. 27/32 avg in Test/ODI. But the stats are little inflated due to his tendency to score big mostly against the minnows. In bowling friendly conditions, he lacks technique to survive. If pacers keep bowling at the fifth stump to him, he is bound to edge to keeper and slips. That's why in recent Pak tests, he tried to be aggressive and took advantage of the close field placing. He scored quick 20-30 and gained confidence. That was an innovative strategy.

He is not a stroke player as well and his SR of 70 in ODI shows that. He is an opener and number 3 batsmen. This place is fought by Imrul/Nazim/Jahurul/Anamul/Hom/Junaid Siddique. He needs to sort out his technique and needs to up his SR. Otherwise, he will fade soon because the upcoming talents has lots of promise.