PDA

View Full Version : 5 years time

tiger1000
June 6, 2012, 04:17 PM
Simple thread, Simple question

Where do you see Bangladesh Cricket team in 5 years - Realistically, not we're going to be top 3 in the world - lets get realistic that's not going to happen.

Where do you guys see us ranked in ODI's, Test's and T20. How do you think other nation are going to view us as a team.

Personally I feel that we can get to a stage in Test cricket where we are viewed the same way we are viewed in ODI's now, In ODI's and T20's I think we can become a top 6/5 team when playing at home but still struggle away

Might be a bit Negative - Just trying to accurate in my Prediction - ofcourse if they did manage to be better than that, I would be delighted to be wrong.

Gowza
June 6, 2012, 06:40 PM
Well hopefully in 5 years tamim, shakib and mushy will be really experienced and basically as good as any batsman in the world, rubel will hopefully be a quality test pacer by then, anamul could potentially have 5 years of experience if he's started now and shuvagata and mominul should be better than they are now so I see that in 5 years BD's batting could actually be really really strong, the bowling it's hard to say, depends on guys like abul and elias

TigerEz
June 6, 2012, 08:19 PM
In 5 years.....Bangladesh will be 4th in ODI rankings....3rd in T20 rankings and in TEST they will, wait a sec, test cricket wont be there cuz it will be dead by then:D:wave:
:fanflag:

Tigers_eye
June 6, 2012, 10:07 PM
if last five years are any indication then half these boys will not be in the team.

Sohel
June 6, 2012, 10:19 PM
I this with someone like RP around, we'll have less dead weight in the team and win more. Once we have the right players playing together for a few years, we can be:

1) Number 7 in Test rankings

2) Number 5 in ODI rankings

3) Number 7 in T20I rankings

Gowza
June 6, 2012, 10:21 PM
Haven't tamim, shakib, and mushy been in the team for the last 5 years? Rubel has been around for a number of years now, mash is always in if he's fit, shafiul has been in the team for a few years now and so has riyad, razzak has been in the one-day and t20 teams for years, we just need to find a couple more to stick around and it seems like nasir will be one anamul might be another to stick around and possibly mominul and shuvagata

Night_wolf
June 6, 2012, 11:10 PM
i dont know..in 2005 when we beat Australia i thought ashraful aftab will mature in 5 years and we'll have a very good solid team by 2010....*sigh*

Tiger444
June 6, 2012, 11:20 PM
i dont know..in 2005 when we beat Australia i thought ashraful aftab will mature in 5 years and we'll have a very good solid team by 2010....*sigh*

I don't get why your bringing in the AAA in this conversation and comparing them with Shakib-Tamim-Mushy. These are much more competent players. Tamim and Shakib are both world class players. Mushy is on the way there. I have confidence they'll sustain their success for a good period of time. The AAA were always inconsistent talents who hit 1 every 10 times

Sohel
June 6, 2012, 11:53 PM
I don't get why your bringing in the AAA in this conversation and comparing them with Shakib-Tamim-Mushy. These are much more competent players. Tamim and Shakib are both world class players. Mushy is on the way there. I have confidence they'll sustain their success for a good period of time. The AAA were always inconsistent talents who hit 1 every 10 times

+1 to that. I also believe that Nasir's generation and some of the surprises outside the BKSP system might be even better :)

Maysun
June 7, 2012, 12:24 AM
I this with someone like RP around, we'll have less dead weight in the team and win more. Once we have the right players playing together for a few years, we can be:

1) Number 7 in Test rankings

2) Number 5 in ODI rankings

3) Number 7 in T20I rankings

I will go with

Number 8 in Test rankings
Number 7 in ODI rankings
Number 5 in T20I rankings

Night_wolf
June 7, 2012, 12:40 AM

i am not bringing AAA vs STM...i just responded to the OP that i dont know what will happen after 5 years..because in 2005 after the win vs AUS i dreamed a lot about BD team(not AAA) in 2010..sadly those dreams shattered(if you count out KiWiwash)

Night_wolf
June 7, 2012, 12:44 AM
I will go with

Number 8 in Test rankings
Number 7 in ODI rankings
Number 5 in T20I rankings

i dont know how the future will pan out but here goes my prediction

Test: Number 9(Still i dont see bowlers to take 20 wickets)

ODI: we have real prospects here..if everything goes according to plan we can be better then WI,NZ,SL after 5 years..but will odi survive?

T20: unpredictable format..anywhere between 7-9

TimAus
June 7, 2012, 01:08 AM
Test 9th
ODI and T20 about 7th

However I think the as long as they play enough games the big gap between 9th and 8th will be closed and Bangladesh will be with the pack, even if they don't move up. In ODIs I can't see the team become a star one yet but I can see them working their way up the rankings a bit due to their young side that are natural ODI players. I don't think this estimate is too harsh or too optimistic. And it would prove the team has made progress given how slow their first 10 years have been.

Zeeshan
June 7, 2012, 01:30 AM
Bangladesh 2014 WC Champion :flag:

zinatf
June 7, 2012, 01:49 AM
Bangladesh 2014 WC Champion :flag:

You mean t20?

Because the other WC is in 2015 :D

Ace of BD
June 7, 2012, 02:56 AM
Well, in 5 years time, I hope we are able to dominate atleast foreign non-subcontinental teams like how sachin owns aus in this innings, and hopefully we have a world class batsman taking those bowlers to the cleaners infront of a crescendo of full house, and not like a dozen people's clapping like jaya's 100 or sanga'100 at galle or kandy. Teams should want to visit us, because of the challenges we'll provide, and the huge crowds that'll make it a much more attractive affair. Come on, thats one of the major reason why test cricket is exciting to watch in australia, england, and india, and (previously west indies), so hopefully bangladesh will justify it's cricketing madness by people flocking us to see in test matches when we'll start winning against them in 5 years time.
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DH9Efkt4D-0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DH9Efkt4D-0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

BD Rox
June 7, 2012, 03:05 AM
I want BD jump to the 6th spot in ODIs at the end of the next 5 years. Don't know about T20s and Tests.

Ace of BD
June 7, 2012, 03:10 AM
Well, within 5 years, I want Bangladesh's name in atleast world title trophy, be it world cup 2015, 2012 world t20, 2014 world t20, or 2016 world t20, but i want it to be this 2012 world t20 because world ends in 2012 december :D

Night_wolf
June 7, 2012, 03:36 AM
Well, in 5 years time, I hope we are able to dominate atleast foreign non-subcontinental teams like how sachin owns aus in this innings, and hopefully we have a world class batsman taking those bowlers to the cleaners infront of a crescendo of full house, and not like a dozen people's clapping like jaya's 100 or sanga'100 at galle or kandy. Teams should want to visit us, because of the challenges we'll provide, and the huge crowds that'll make it a much more attractive affair. Come on, thats one of the major reason why test cricket is exciting to watch in australia, england, and india, and (previously west indies), so hopefully bangladesh will justify it's cricketing madness by people flocking us to see in test matches when we'll start winning against them in 5 years time.

agree with you..in 5 years if we can win series vs non subcontinental teams in BD i'll be more then happy with that.

beshideshi
June 7, 2012, 04:55 AM
The truth is, ranking doesn't really mean much in ODI cricket, I believe the top 7 teams are all well capable to beating each other. So I would like to see Bangladesh in a position, where the Australian captain would have to really think how to win against Bangladesh and the dressing room will have a serious mood when they are facing Bangladesh. Basically, I want Bangladesh to be more than a respectable team, rather a true force in ODIs in 5 years.

However, unless we unearth any decent pacers in the next 2-3 years, I don't see us breaking the top in test matches. We still have a long, long way to go, and as I said, unless we can improve our bowling resources, we will be lagging behind even West Indies.

tiger1000
June 7, 2012, 05:32 AM
Well hopefully in 5 years tamim, shakib and mushy will be really experienced and basically as good as any batsman in the world, rubel will hopefully be a quality test pacer by then, anamul could potentially have 5 years of experience if he's started now and shuvagata and mominul should be better than they are now so I see that in 5 years BD's batting could actually be really really strong, the bowling it's hard to say, depends on guys like abul and elias

That's more based around individuals, What do you think the case would be when they are in a group, playing together and how do You think other's will see bangladesh cricket team i.e. how will they approach playing us

tiger1000
June 7, 2012, 05:37 AM
The truth is, ranking doesn't really mean much in ODI cricket, I believe the top 7 teams are all well capable to beating each other. So I would like to see Bangladesh in a position, where the Australian captain would have to really think how to win against Bangladesh and the dressing room will have a serious mood when they are facing Bangladesh. Basically, I want Bangladesh to be more than a respectable team, rather a true force in ODIs in 5 years.

However, unless we unearth any decent pacers in the next 2-3 years, I don't see us breaking the top in test matches. We still have a long, long way to go, and as I said, unless we can improve our bowling resources, we will be lagging behind even West Indies.

We need good pace bowlers, Mortaza could have been World class in test without the injuries, I honestly feel One good seam bowler will start the flow of BD producing pace bowlers, Young plaers mostly look up to rafique, now will look up to shakib - so most likely another group of decent Left arm spinners going to come along.

In test I feel that we can be in a position where people say we can win if we play well and others play poorly - a bit like ODI's now, Currently in test We can play our best Test cricket and Opposition can play there worst and even then it would be only close and we probably won't win.

BengaliPagol
June 7, 2012, 05:41 AM
In 5 years i have a good feeling Bangladesh will be a force in ODI's. We will be shaky in tests only because of the structure of our FC cricket and the reluctance of other major cricketing team to play tests against us. We dont have wicket taking bowlers for tests. Nasir will mature and be a solid performer for us. Shakib will be 30 :o

I wish Shakib could stay young.

BD Rox
June 7, 2012, 05:51 AM
In 5 years i have a good feeling Bangladesh will be a force in ODI's. We will be shaky in tests only because of the structure of our FC cricket and the reluctance of other major cricketing team to play tests against us. We dont have wicket taking bowlers for tests. Nasir will mature and be a solid performer for us. Shakib will be 30 :o

I wish Shakib could stay young.

We all hope so.
We need to produce some really good fast bowlers with a decent pace. Our batsmen needs to be more mature. They need to hold their nerves rather than playing shots and learn how to occupy the crease for long hours. And for ODIs, time will make things happen. BD has improved a lot since the past year.

Sohel
June 7, 2012, 06:36 AM
We have deeply embedded mitigating factors such as:

1) Farcical FC infrastructure where playing picnic cricket is tolerated and neglected in favor of the DPL and now BPL (if there's a BPL 2, they gotta pay first and then spend even more in service recovery and damage control).

2) Pretty much clueless DPL and BPL "organizers" hogging the board who believe it is their GOD given right to decisively interfere in cricketing decisions.

3) Selectors, all mediocre cricketers -- guys who can't hold a candle to the new generation in terms of talent, character, skill, or technique -- selecting players on the basis of lobbying and nepotism rather than ability and statistics tempered by actual context, and leaving perpetual, gaping holes in the team. That's why our team has never been full strength, and unless we change the culture of selecting dead weight for the team, will not be in 5 years.

I projected my rankings in light of all this. Being number 5 in ODIs is doable because we play a lot of 50 over games. I feel we'd be able to beat New Zealand, West Indies and Zimbabwe pretty regularly, and run India and Pakistan through the ringer every time. Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka and England would be tough but we'll take at least 1 game in a best of 5 against them.

Being number 7 in tests is also plausible because our guys with ability are developing good temperament. I think we'll beat West Indies and Zimbabwe regularly and run New Zealand through the ringer every time.

Being number 7 in T20Is is my most optimistic prediction because we're clueless in this tricky format with its own unique challenges. If we do improve, we'll do so because of a professionally run BPL and Bangladeshi players actually playing in the IPL and elsewhere.

fiasnahk
June 7, 2012, 07:16 AM
I dont really care where we stand because we will only be 6-7 at best in ODI. But i want to be in a position where guys like Sehwag cant even think about making stupid comments like "there's no way BD can take 20 wickets against us" or "Its impossible for them to beat us". If teams start respecting us and actually have a mentality that we are'nt going to be an easy win then ill be happy with that.

Gowza
June 7, 2012, 07:35 AM
That's more based around individuals, What do you think the case would be when they are in a group, playing together and how do You think other's will see bangladesh cricket team i.e. how will they approach playing us

Not really basing it on individuals, shakib, tamim and mushy currently make-up the core of the batting and I believe in 5 years they still will but will be better and I believe the batting prospects will come through and that bowling will be decent with rubel, mash and possibly Abul as well as shakib, soba strong team overall imo and others will also view as that imo

Rubu
June 7, 2012, 07:42 AM
I don't know where Bangladesh team will be, but we know where we the fans (in general) will be, right here.

Zunaid
June 7, 2012, 07:45 AM
I don't know where Bangladesh team will be, but we know where we the fans (in general) will be, right here.

I'll be here if I'm not dead by then. Our cricket team has taken 20 years from my life.

mufi_02
June 7, 2012, 08:32 AM
In 5 years Shak, TI, Mushy will be happily married with one or two kids. Mash will be retired and will write columns or go to every cricketing talk shows. Riyad will be a selector in BCB and Kayes will be sent to exile in some coaching position in Cambodia.

tiger1000
June 7, 2012, 08:37 AM
Not really basing it on individuals, shakib, tamim and mushy currently make-up the core of the batting and I believe in 5 years they still will but will be better and I believe the batting prospects will come through and that bowling will be decent with rubel, mash and possibly Abul as well as shakib, soba strong team overall imo and others will also view as that imo

How do you think other teams will view us as a collective unit?

you think Mortaza has 5 more years? - I give 3/4 at best

MarufH
June 7, 2012, 08:38 AM
I'll be here if I'm not dead by then. Our cricket team has taken 20 years from my life.

OR has it? You could look at it the other way around too, boss. Our cricket team has given me 20 years of my life. Everything else came and left from our lives but cricket was always here for us. :big_hug:

Isnaad
June 7, 2012, 10:01 AM
ODIs- 6th- 8th
Tests- 9th
T20Is- Hard to say. In between: 7-10

MarvinDaMartian
June 7, 2012, 10:57 AM
BCB wise
- Have professional setup to run the institution like a company.
- Put resource on developing coaches.
- have BPL without the chaos of BPL 2012.

First class cricket
- Allow overseas players with high standard to play FC cricket.
- Attract franchisee to sponsor divisional teams
- have age-based divisional tournaments.

Divisional Teams:
- have independent authority to run cricket affairs within the division.
- have one test/odi standard stadium per division.
- have one academy per division.
- have main, B, and different age-based (U19,16,13 etc.) teams per division. these teams will have access to the facilities of the academy.
- have financial backing (part BCB, part sponsor) to run all these.
- Divisional Cricket Board (CB) to run inter district main/school/age based tournaments.

Root-level development
- Using Sri-Lanka as a model, develop school cricket.
- BCB and Divisional boards will work together for root-level development.

National-team wise
- Have a pool (thanks purba) of players who need to fight for each position. At least two players per position will make a pull of 22 players ready for the national team..
- Test/ODI team having the first 6 batsmen with batting average more then 40. Among them at least two of them with an average of more then 45.
- Test team having at least two speed bowlers with bowling average of 30 or lower.
- Test team having spinners with average lower then 30.

Zunaid
June 7, 2012, 11:12 AM
^BCB, are you reading this?

Tiger444
June 7, 2012, 11:36 AM
BCB wise

First class cricket

Divisional Teams:
- have main, B, and different age-based (U19,16,13 etc.) teams per division. these teams will have access to the facilities of the academy.
- Divisional Cricket Board (CB) to run inter district main/school/age based tournaments.

Root-level development

National-team wise
- Have a pull of players who need to fight for each position. At least two players per position will make a pull of 22 players ready for the national team..
- Test/ODI team having the first 6 batsmen with batting average more then 40. Among them at least two of them with an average of more then 45.
- Test team having at least two speed bowlers with bowling average of 30 or lower.

:up::up::up: Great work bhai!

TigerEz
June 7, 2012, 11:43 AM

Cricket has taken 15 :D of mines and Bangladesh Cricket has taken 6 ...

tiger1000
June 7, 2012, 12:24 PM
BCB wise

First class cricket

Divisional Teams:

Root-level development

National-team wise
- Have a pull of players who need to fight for each position. At least two players per position will make a pull of 22 players ready for the national team..

I bow down to your Great Effort :up:

I'll settle with a strong competetive group (Pool) of 17/18 with 4/5 set core group of players e.g. Currently Tamim, Shakib and Rahim. and average 3-4 less than that of what you said with the bat

Is this a prediction or a wishlist?

fiasnahk
June 7, 2012, 02:01 PM
BCB wise

National-team wise

Very unrealistic, but hope it comes true :up:

Purbasha T
June 7, 2012, 02:13 PM
I found the only mistake in that list, it should be ''pool'' and not ''pull''. :D

Top list MarvianDaMartian, now to forward it to His honour Mr. Kamal.

Gowza
June 7, 2012, 06:23 PM
How do you think other teams will view us as a collective unit?

you think Mortaza has 5 more years? - I give 3/4 at best

as i said i think they will view BD as a strong team as a collective unit, i believe the batting will be the strength and people will see that. as for mortaza, maybe he has 5 years maybe he doesn't but he's still young, and has the drive and desire to comeback and succeed.

Navo
June 7, 2012, 09:03 PM
In 5 years time, Ash will still be opening restaurants :D

Maysun
June 7, 2012, 09:56 PM
In five years, a book will be written about Mohammad Ashraful.

Navo
June 7, 2012, 10:02 PM
^ I hope it co-authored by CJS, Hanif Shonket and Ash's best friend Harbhajan Singh

Jadukor
June 7, 2012, 11:09 PM
Anamul and Mominul will lead our batting group

World Champs
June 8, 2012, 12:23 AM
I don't think in the coming 5 years, Bangladesh will rise much in the rankings in either format, but can definitely see them winning more matches as compared to now particularly in ODI's where losing to BD will not be called as an upset in the coming time. No one will be able to take them lightly and can send their A team or try out youngsters just because they are playing against BD. Other teams will have to be with their full strength team against BD.

Ace of BD
June 8, 2012, 02:29 AM
I don't think in the coming 5 years, Bangladesh will rise much in the rankings in either format, but can definitely see them winning more matches as compared to now particularly in ODI's where losing to BD will not be called as an upset in the coming time. No one will be able to take them lightly and can send their A team or try out youngsters just because they are playing against BD. Other teams will have to be with their full strength team against BD.

hate to say this, but you are right to an extent when u r trying to imply that even as of today, media reacts as if it as an upset. for example, just like some cricketers when they play against us, they keep on saying," we always knew they were a good team, and the question of taking them lightly should never arise", but hell, even these type of comments shouldnt come if we actually were a good team. For example, the same cricketers wouldnt say anything is they were playing any team ranked above us. So its true, our victories in 5 years time will be a norm, and for home series, we'll be considered favourites even against the top ranked team, but disagree that we wont rise in rankings. Its just a matter before we break into top 8, thereafter there isnt much to separate between no.6/7 and no.1, unlike no.9 and no.8, which existed since long. We were the ones to close it by 2011, but this time we'll take over surely in future

BANFAN
June 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
And we are saying this 5 years thing for last 12 years...:) Is five any magic number...why always 5?? :)

But yes, I think we have the right platform to make much more improvement in next 5 years than we did in last 5 years.

Sohel
June 17, 2012, 05:10 AM
And we are saying this 5 years thing for last 12 years...:) Is five any magic number...why always 5?? :)

But yes, I think we have the right platform to make much more improvement in next 5 years than we did in last 5 years.

That may have a lot to do with Marxist-Leninist fetish for "5 year plans".

al Furqaan
June 17, 2012, 03:10 PM
I have not read any posts in this thread asides form the OP, and I think this is a really interesting thread. I want to post my thoughts and then see how many people agree with what I've stated (esp BC elders).

Where will we be in 5 years, teamwise? I think the best way to answer that question is to take a hypothetical year and analyze it. 5 years from now, the FTP could well be modified. I would hope that we play 8 Tests per year (some 3 Test series), 20 ODIs (14 or so against the G8/F9 teams), and 8 T20Is.

I think we should hope to realistically win 2-3 Tests per year, draw another 2-3, and lose the rest. I think our overseas record will be the rare odd draw, and the rest being loses, with the occaisional innings defeat. I would be satisfied, and call me a pessimist, but in the current backdrop, I would be excited about a team of this caliber.

I think we will be able to win 10-12 ODIs per year out of 20. We should win more than we lose at home against the G8/F9 and win 5/6 against the likes of Zimbabwe and the Associates in all venues. Overseas wins against top sides will remain sparse.

In T20Is, we will probably continue to suck. We will probably win just 1-2 per year out of 8 unless we learn from the BPL.

Tigers_eye
June 17, 2012, 05:21 PM
I will be glad if we get in to top 8. That is it.

BANFAN
June 21, 2012, 04:18 PM
AF, you are quiet an optimist I would say.

I wouldn't yet expect to draw that many away test matches with G8
I wouldn't yet expect to win 50/60 % of our ODIs with G8

but I would expect to win more in T20s if the BPL continues. Players will compete hard in BPL ... Since that will give more scope of playing in money earning leagues....and also in absence of a competitive domestic league, BPL will get more importance for getting selected in the national side.

Gowza
June 21, 2012, 08:50 PM

yeah we keep on going on about it don't we? but i think we would all agree that the current BD team is a lot better than the BD team of 5 years ago and also as you said has a much better platform now.

KaaL-PurusH
June 24, 2012, 07:25 AM
In 5 yrs team, all I want to see some great organiser and policy maker in BCB who can shape up our cricket infrastructure, come up with some good achievable goals and implementation of that. Our cricket has been running around in the same circle since we are in the game because there was never any long term vision for development. Tigers has climb up in couple of occasion but could not cement the new height. Obviously it was not backed up by other factors and supports

tiger1000
July 13, 2014, 10:12 AM
So 2 years on...

So what do you guys think about the progress in the past 2 years

the question was 2 years ago

In 5 years (2017) Where do you guys see us ranked in ODI's, Test's and T20. How do you think other nation are going to view us as a team.

al Furqaan
July 13, 2014, 12:41 PM
So 2 years on...

In 5 years (2017) Where do you guys see us ranked in ODI's, Test's and T20. How do you think other nation are going to view us as a team.

Haha, in the past 2 yrs we've regressed. We have managed to draw 4 Tests against G8 teams, including one in SL where even top sides struggle. In 2012 we had 0 points or maybe 2 at most, we now have 21 but are still 10th. ZIM are still ahead of us.

By 2017, I will predict we win 6-0 in tests vs ZIM, and upset 1-2 wins against a G8 side. We will still be ranked 9th but will hopefully have narrowed then gap with WI and have 50-60 points.

I expect we'll get our ODI form back soon.

Gowza
July 13, 2014, 08:18 PM
it will be tough, NZ have become a much better side as of late and WI just had a decent series against them and quite possibly will improve with kraigg brathwaite returning well and i predict he will continue his good test form as in the couple of years before his return to the test side i believe he averaged 50 or so in A team cricket. lil bravo will slowly improve (he's already doing pretty well), blackwood is their new batting hope, we'll have to wait and see with him. but the bowling is where WI are really going to improve over the next couple of years if they pick the right players, if they keep going with roach and holder and bring in cummins and narine as regulars then they are going to have a quality bowling attack.

this should be WI's team:

1 gayle
2 brathwaite
3 lil bravo
4 blackwood/samuels/bravo
5 chanderpaul
6 blackwood/samuels/bravo
7 ramdin
8 holder
9 roach
10 cummins
11 narine

the top 3 are strong and shouldn't fail to many times, the middle order is held together by chanderpaul and 2 of the other 3 should be decent , then you have a quality bowling unit. when chanders retires it will be tough for them, if that happens anytime soon they will need to pick all 3 of big bravo, samuels and blackwood and hopefully one of the will step up.

as far as Bangladesh, well they still need to improve, the WI series will be tough without shakib, we need mominul to continue as he has been and mushy needs to step up into the ton scoring club more often and hopefully nasir and riyad and add some valuable runs. i don't see much hope of wins in tests without shakib though so the best i'd expect are draws which if the batting holds up will be possible.

i expect to overtake zim though because mushy and shakib are much more consistent test bats nowadays and mominul looks like he'll be a consistent one as well so that should hold the batting together for a good number of years which will obviously help in ranking points as it will help win and draw matches.

Gowza
July 13, 2014, 08:22 PM
in ODIs if some key players get their form back soon (namely tamim and nasir) then the team will start to do quite well i suspect as we'll have anamul and tamim at the top both capable of scoring tons, mushy and shakib score consistently and nasir finishing it off makes for a very good batting total. with taskin being introduced the bowling looks better as well. mash, taskin and rubel should be a good pace attack and shakib and the other spinners can be good for holding the run rate with the occasional wicket. so with that in mind BD should come closer in ranking points to the other teams, might be tough to push ahead though.

al-Sagar
July 13, 2014, 10:25 PM
i will be 35

Rifat
July 14, 2014, 12:54 AM
well, every team in International Cricket (Except Australia from 1999-2008ish era, maybe i am wrong in this claim) had ups and downs. even in modern day cricket, about Every team is also having ups and down cycles. Bangladesh went through a similar trend since Asia Cup 2012. right now our down cycle has been surprisingly longer than usual. I expect a similar trend for the next 5 years. maybe we will hover around #7 at best(all formats).

Although, If we consistently play 8 tests per year, there is a lot of hope and potential to go up...but then again, who knows?

tiger1000
July 14, 2014, 09:12 AM
Haha, in the past 2 yrs we've regressed. We have managed to draw 4 Tests against G8 teams, including one in SL where even top sides struggle. In 2012 we had 0 points or maybe 2 at most, we now have 21 but are still 10th. ZIM are still ahead of us.

By 2017, I will predict we win 6-0 in tests vs ZIM, and upset 1-2 wins against a G8 side. We will still be ranked 9th but will hopefully have narrowed then gap with WI and have 50-60 points.

I expect we'll get our ODI form back soon.

I think its fair to say everyone overestimated the 'progress' over the last two years

Sohel
July 14, 2014, 09:15 AM
All of these expectations were bound to fall short for one simple reason: a talismanic player of Mohammad Nazimuddin's all-round caliber and noipunno never getting the extended run he deserves. No Nazza, No Improvement. It is written.

Shade
July 14, 2014, 10:56 AM
So 2 years on...

Not this decade but in the coming decades 2030ish, population and popularity will mean Bangladesh eventual and inevitable rise to a Cricketing Super power. Hopefully then Bangladesh remembers the start up help SL gave.

Tigers_eye
July 14, 2014, 11:39 AM
if last five years are any indication then half these boys will not be in the team. June 6, 2012, 10:07 PM
I will be glad if we get in to top 8. That is it. June 17, 2012, 05:21 PM

Told you so!!!
Simple logic. Everyone improves. Our gap is too much. If we don't improve at a higher rate we won't be able to catch them with in the five years.

Crawl, walk, jog, run, sprint. That is how it goes. With teen averages (most top orders) it is crawling mode. Twenties are walking. Now we are on joggin mode with 30 averages. We would be running with 40 averages soon. Once we get to the 50 averages we would be annoucning our arrival. Need few more like Mominul to step up. The final step is tied with the local cricket structure and autonomy to the regional boards. Without the decentralization of power and money the last stage cannot be achieved.

Tigers_eye
July 14, 2014, 11:41 AM
...Hopefully then Bangladesh remembers the start up help SL gave.
Unbelivable help from few boards like (not in order) WI, SA, NZ, SL, Zim and Aus. Thank you all.

al Furqaan
July 14, 2014, 01:08 PM
Without the decentralization of power and money the last stage cannot be achieved.

It can and it will. It will just take longer to achieve. What should take us 1 year to achieve, we'll do in 3 or 4. But it can and will happen. India had how many 50 average batsman from 1930 to 1990? Only Sunny G that I can think of, yet they are a batting powerhouse. In the last 20 odd years they have produced at least half a dozen 50+ bats. Same could be said of all countries. My money is on Mominul to keep a 50+ average, chup chap kid, those are the most dangerous, quietly going about their business without complaining about "that was a 4 ball", "ZIM bowlers are ordinary", etc.

Pop quiz, which Bangladesh batsmen, if he were to get out for 10 consecutive ducks in his next 10 innings will still be averaging nearly 38 in Test cricket?

Answer is Mominul.

Vua
July 14, 2014, 01:57 PM
Get realistic people, in 5 years time, heck even in 50 years time, we will still be at the bottom of the pile.
Nepal, Bhutan, Togo, Afghanistan, HongKong, Ireland, UAE will all go up in the rankings past us.

Tigers_eye
July 14, 2014, 04:21 PM
Without the decentralization of power and money the last stage cannot be achieved. It can and it will. It will just take longer to achieve. What should take us 1 year to achieve, we'll do in 3 or 4. But it can and will happen. India had how many 50 average batsman from 1930 to 1990? Only Sunny G that I can think of, yet they are a batting powerhouse. In the last 20 odd years they have produced at least half a dozen 50+ bats. Same could be said of all countries. My money is on Mominul to keep a 50+ average, chup chap kid, those are the most dangerous, quietly going about their business without complaining about "that was a 4 ball", "ZIM bowlers are ordinary", etc. .....
First I am not a betting man. Had I been one, you would have been taken to the cleaners already!! Lucky You. :)

Secondly, mine was a blanket statement. Tests and as well ODIs. Multiple top orders - not just one averaing 50 would make us sprint. The top 8 nations are sprinting already or almost sprinting (rebuilding mode).

You are proving me right with your own logic. Indian Cricket has been decentralized long long time back. Back then it even took more time to create players like that. On top of that, the pitches, formats, and rules have changed alot which aided them to produce more 50+ now.

The game has changed a lot in the last 20/30 years. Having 50+ players in a test teams are a norm for being elite nowadays. Before that it was only handful. Just like 30+ test centuries and you would be the best in your generation. Nowadays, that would only fetch you best in your country perhaps even.

By the way, I wish Mominul the best. Let him play few more tests in different continents and conditions. I would be estatic if he can keep his average 50+. And Mominul is NOT the one averaging highest for BD (tests). :lol: That record belongs to Abul and most likely will stay with him.
+++
I disagree on the the other bold as well. They all have sound setup of their domestic cricket and not centralized.

tiger1000
July 25, 2014, 09:47 AM
Told you so!!!
Simple logic. Everyone improves. Our gap is too much. If we don't improve at a higher rate we won't be able to catch them with in the five years.

Crawl, walk, jog, run, sprint. That is how it goes. With teen averages (most top orders) it is crawling mode. Twenties are walking. Now we are on joggin mode with 30 averages. We would be running with 40 averages soon. Once we get to the 50 averages we would be annoucning our arrival. Need few more like Mominul to step up. The final step is tied with the local cricket structure and autonomy to the regional boards. Without the decentralization of power and money the last stage cannot be achieved.

Yep, you were right then and now, but we have lots of room of improvements, the top 4/5 teams can only improve so much, I doubt we will ever produce a batsman averaging 50, not in the next 10 years atleast, but then again if you asked me 10 years ago, I could have never imagined a guy who can bat better than bashar but also ball better (maybe not, hard to compare) then rafique.

But with the current type of board, we will never progress, so decisions are idiotic, for example Shakib, whilst he deserved to be punished, this ban is ridiculous, no other country would do such a thing, but our countries mentality is the 'elder/superior' must show his superiority by any means necessary, other players should have also spoken out, there are no leaders in the team, bunch of yes men, who hide and crack under any sort of pressure.