PDA

View Full Version : FICA begins legal action over BPL

Farhad
June 8, 2012, 11:00 AM
Huge setback for the BPL IMO. On the plus side, those who were complaining about too few domestic players will get to see a lot more in BPL2...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/current/story/567786.html

dash
June 8, 2012, 11:09 AM
bloody mess!

Sovik
June 8, 2012, 12:10 PM
Lotus Kamal and co. had it coming

Nasif
June 8, 2012, 12:15 PM
This is getting nasty. I guess like everything else in BD, franchises thought they would do "dibo... ditesi... ajke... kalke.." etc bd style! Very unprofessional. This might kill all the good name that was earned during BPL.

I don't know if its Lotus' fault or if its mismanagement from franchises; whatever it is, you don't treat your guests this way. It is a national shame for all of us.

Miraz
June 8, 2012, 01:05 PM
Really poor from BCB. They must act decisively before it spirals out of control. Enough damage done already.

cricheart
June 8, 2012, 01:06 PM
This is getting nasty. I guess like everything else in BD, franchises thought they would do "dibo... ditesi... ajke... kalke.." etc bd style! Very unprofessional. This might kill all the good name that was earned during BPL.

I don't know if its Lotus' fault or if its mismanagement from franchises; whatever it is, you don't treat your guests this way. It is a national shame for all of us.

This is what happens when you try to grasp too big that you cant eat. Better they should admit BCB/franchisees dont have liquid fund (which they lyied before due to hold board's interest & respect) and after certain chashflow BPL due will be paid. Things could 've been solved like SL way.

Surely BCB with its big FD reserve atm, players will get bank guarantee in next season anyway. But this will cost a lot of extra expense to BCB from now on in case of any delay with charges.

Fact is Lota insulting FICA head lead us to this shameful national humiliation state. No doubt the culprit/resposible bodies are here- BPL Govt body & non-eligible franchises. Along with illegal Pakistan tour case, now Lota have to defend this in court.:facepalm:

Saifulsohel
June 8, 2012, 03:37 PM
Legal proceedings have been initiated by the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations (FICA) against the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and the franchises involved in the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) following a widespread failure to pay players.
The first edition of the BPL ended in February but, despite repeated assurances and deadlines, FICA has been informed that many players have yet to receive full payment. As a result, the players' organisation has instructed lawyers in Dhaka to file a claim against the relevant franchises and the BCB. http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/current/story/567786.html?comments=all#comments

TigerEz
June 8, 2012, 03:57 PM
shunte ar val lage na!!!

Zeeshan
June 8, 2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks Saiful_sohel bhai for the awareness. LOL too bad you got butchered in the other thread. I bet if Indian fan or Pakistani fan made similar comments those same posters attacking you would get their knickers in bockers.

firstlane
June 8, 2012, 09:07 PM
That was inevitable.

TigerEz
June 8, 2012, 09:11 PM
Im going to suicide if theres no BPL next year!

Habib
June 8, 2012, 10:30 PM
Im going to suicide if theres no BPL next year!

''Mairer upore oshudh nai''
On topic- it was just a matter of time really. Thela samlao ebar.

Maysun
June 9, 2012, 12:40 AM
Players shouldn't take part in BPL-2 if they're not guaranteed payments like said in the article.

crikss
June 9, 2012, 04:18 AM
Good job BCB and now take the heat

jamal451230
June 9, 2012, 04:48 AM
Its all the franchisies , they should take blame for this

firstlane
June 9, 2012, 04:53 AM
Its all the franchisies , they should take blame for this

kamal shaheb nijer meyeke bujhate parlona je taka na dile desher bodnam hobe. ki bolen jamal shaheb?

Tigers_eye
June 9, 2012, 07:01 AM
liars. cheat. mojur'er gham jhorey jawa'r agey beton dewa uchit. gojob tho ashbei.

Equinox
June 9, 2012, 07:09 AM
Why doesn't BCB just clear the players' dues and then recover the money from the franchises? Would've avoided all the negative publicity.

Suhail
June 9, 2012, 08:47 AM
Sahara just signed a huge sponsorship deal with the BCB. Maybe Sahara can be convinced to save the BPL in exchange for title sponsorship. "The batsman thought he hit a Sahara Maximum, but instead the fielder made a Sahara Kamaal Katch at the boundary giving the bowler a Sahara Moment of Success!"

Zunaid
June 9, 2012, 09:00 AM
Bangladesh cricket surprised by nonpayment claims
Times of India

DHAKA: Bangladesh Cricket Board President AH Mustafa Kamal said on Saturday he is surprised by claims that his board will be sued over its failure to pay players who took part in the inaugural Bangladesh Premier League. In a report published Friday Tim ..

read more (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/top-stories/Bangladesh-cricket-surprised-by-nonpayment-claims/articleshow/13966979.cms)

I wonder what's up.... The article, also quotes:

Pakistani allrounder Shahid Afridi, who topped the auction at $700,000, reportedly said last month that he had been fully paid.

I had mentioned this in another post about 4 weeks back.

Zunaid
June 9, 2012, 09:05 AM
From May 24

BPL organisers clear dues of Pakistan players
(http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2012%5C05%5C24%5Cstory_24-5-2012_pg2_10)
Staff Report

KARACHI: The legal action threat issued by the Federation of International Cricketers Association (FICA) to the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) over non-payment of dues to the players who took part in the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) has apparently had its effects. Former Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi on Tuesday said he finally received his dues from the BPL two days back in full. “I got my full dues two days back from the BPL,” Afridi, who was one of the most expensive players purchased in the players bid for the tournament, was quoted as saying. As many as 20 Pakistan players represented different franchises in the BPL. FICA chief executive Tim May had few days back sent a letter to the BCB president Mustafa Kamal, asking him to clear the dues of all overseas and local players who took part in the BPL within five days or face legal action. Afridi, who only played in the semi-final and final for Dhaka and had a price of around $700,000 in the bid, said he had enjoyed his experience of playing in the BPL.

cricheart
June 9, 2012, 09:37 AM
From May 24

BPL organisers clear dues of Pakistan players
(http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2012%5C05%5C24%5Cstory_24-5-2012_pg2_10)
Staff Report

KARACHI: The legal action threat issued by the Federation of International Cricketers Association (FICA) to the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) over non-payment of dues to the players who took part in the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) has apparently had its effects. Former Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi on Tuesday said he finally received his dues from the BPL two days back in full. “I got my full dues two days back from the BPL,” Afridi, who was one of the most expensive players purchased in the players bid for the tournament, was quoted as saying. As many as 20 Pakistan players represented different franchises in the BPL. FICA chief executive Tim May had few days back sent a letter to the BCB president Mustafa Kamal, asking him to clear the dues of all overseas and local players who took part in the BPL within five days or face legal action. Afridi, who only played in the semi-final and final for Dhaka and had a price of around $700,000 in the bid, said he had enjoyed his experience of playing in the BPL.

Well Pak case is different, They were allready bogged down with this issue since Asia cup conflict. What about local players and staffs? Mushiqto dhomok khaoar por aar mukh khulena, onno keo kichu bolche ei bepare?!

Zunaid
June 9, 2012, 10:07 AM
BCB Press Release

Saturday, 09 June 2012

Media Release

Outcome of BPL Governing Council Meeting

SECOND EDITION OF BPL T20
The Governing Council decided to hold the second edition of the BPL T20 in mid-January 2013. There will be an increase in the number of venues based on infrastructure, logistical support and broadcast facilities.

BPL PLAYER PAYMENT
Following the expiry of the 07 June deadline given to franchises for clearing all outstanding payment of foreign cricketers who had participated in the inaugural edition of the competition, the Governing Council has received the following payment status from the six franchises:

· The net payable (following tax deduction) to foreign cricketers was US$ 2.77 million (approximately).

· The unpaid fees figure currently stands at US$ 3,05,000.00 (approximately).

· Two of the six BPL franchises have completed their payment to foreign cricketers in full.

The Governing Council has recommended to the BCB that as guarantor the Board should clear the outstanding payment and the process should be initiated immediately.

The payment of local cricketers is also being seriously looked into by the Governing Council which has not received a definite picture of the payment status from the franchises. Therefore it has been decided that the Governing Council would speak to individual players and relevant officials of team managements and take measures accordingly.

NON COMPLIANCE ISSUE
The Governing Council has thanked the franchises who have complied with player payment and franchisee fee payment. The Governing Council will issue formal letters to the franchises who have not complied with the mandatory requirements and may consider stern action.

TIM MAY’S COMMENTS
The Governing Council expressed disappointment at the recent remarks of the Federation of International Cricketers’ Association (FICA) chief executive Tim May regarding the BPL. Governing Council Chairman Gazi Ashraf Hossain said: “Obviously he (May) is saying things on assumption and misinformation as only a tiny fraction of the payment is outstanding. When an organisation like the BCB is the guarantor then the question of uncertainty regarding players’ payment does not arise.

“We wanted to give the franchises a fair chance of completing the player payment as they have invested a huge amount of money in these times of worldwide recession and hence the extension of the deadline. We are happy that barring a very small sum the entire payable to foreign cricketers have been cleared.

“The BPL in its first year had attracted the most number of overseas players, including the top international cricketers after the Indian Premier League. The profile of Bangladesh cricket has been enhanced by this competition and hundreds of foreign cricketers are eagerly waiting for a chance to participate in the next edition. Someone in Mr. May’s position should be an advocate of such an event which has benefited professional cricketers across continents, rather than trying to undermine it. So far we have not received official complaints from any foreign or local cricketer and that should tell him what the BPL has meant to them.

“We think some people are getting paranoid over the BPL’s success and strength and are out to tarnish the image of the BCB and Bangladesh cricket. That will not deter our quest for excellence in the BPL and future editions will be bigger and more vibrant.”

Zunaid
June 9, 2012, 10:10 AM
$305K of $2.7m remains unpaid. Two franchises have cleared all their dues. In light of this, the aggressive stand of May and FICA is questionable but I wonder if the nastiness and bad publicity could have been avoided had the BCB responded to the original letter. A little bit of politeness goes a long way.

MohammedC
June 9, 2012, 06:17 PM
Kevon Cooper: Speaking to Newsday yesterday, Cooper expressed disappointment with his predicament and expressed scepticism about participating in the tournament in the future.

“It’s a great disappointment after playing. It’s not only me, a lot of the other West Indian players haven’t been paid. After a very good competition with the players and spectators satisfied with the level of play it’s disappointing.

Next year players will think twice about going there because you went and play with all your heart and to not be paid is not right,” Cooper declared.

The right-hander, who was a hit at the Indian Premier League for Rajasthan Royals before picking up an injury, revealed that his manager has been given the runaround by the Bangladesh Premier League but believes if the clubs cannot pay then the Bangladesh Cricket Board may have to fork out the money instead.

Kieron Pollard: Meanwhile, Pollard, who has played in Twenty20 tournaments throughout the world including the Indian Premier League, KFC Big Bash (Australia) and Friends Life T20 (England) revealed that this is the first time he has experienced a situation like this.

“Before the tournament they were supposed to pay a certain percentage (and) that didn’t happen, during the tournament they were supposed to pay a certain percentage (and) that didn’t happen and after it was the same thing,” Pollard revealed.

“It’s disappointing knowing it’s a league you’ve played in and haven’t been paid,” he said. Asked whether he would return for the second edition of the Bangladesh Premier League scheduled to start in January 2013, Pollard was reluctant to indicate his availability next year.

“Obviously it’s a disappointing situation and it’s something you will have to decide but it’s not a good first impression they’ve made,” he pointed out.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,161496.html?

patriot
June 9, 2012, 11:59 PM
I fail to understand as 'Gurantor' , Why isnt the BCB just paying off the players and shutting the doors to people like Tim May who would pounce on every opportunity to grab some media attention.

Rabz
June 10, 2012, 04:25 AM
Funny really. 11% of total payment left unpaid and they are making noise and taking legal action.
BPL becoming the 2nd most lucrative T20 Domestic League causing discomfort for a lot of people around the world for obvious reasons. Mr May is just pimping for them.

Just to put things in perspective, (but not comparing because the two leagues are world apart), when Kochi Tuskers Kerala failed to make payment to their players, which they still havent after over a year, no one makes a single noise and I dont think I've ever heard a single word from
Mr Pimping May about his "concern".

Here is the news article, dated 30th March 2012.

===
Players left unpaid as BCCI, Kochi team owners pass the buck
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 at 0350 hrs IST (Mumbai, New Delhi)

Players of the disbanded IPL team Kochi Tuskers Kerala (KTK) haven’t yet received 30 to 40 per cent of their promised payment from last season. In case of KTK’s leading player from 2011, S Sreesanth, the unpaid amount comes to Rs 1.58 crores.

The figure due to foreign players is expected to higher. The delay in payment has surprised the players since BCCI was party to the tripartite contract they signed with the franchise.

There is a general feeling among the former KTK players, most of whom have been picked by other franchises, that they are in for the long haul as both the BCCI and the team owners are passing the buck and are refusing to address their problem. The aggrieved players allege that the team owners have stopped answering phones and the Indian board officials have virtually washed their hands of the issue.

Sreesanth confirmed to The Indian Express that he is yet to receive full payment for IPL-4. “I haven’t got my payment yet, I’m still to receive Rs 1.58 cr,” he said. It is also learnt that wicket-keeper batsman Parthiv Patel is waiting for an installment of Rs 50 lakh.

When contacted, the IPL commissioner Rajeev Shukla refused to comment. Another top officials said their hands are tied. “Players will have to go to court to get their dues. We have encashed the bank guarantee of Rs 150 cr but KTK has asked for arbitration. So we can’t pay the players as of now,” a top BCCI official said.

A representative of franchise made it clear that they had no intention of paying the players.

Mukesh Patel, chairman of Kochi Tuskers, said, “There is no payment to be made from our side. In fact, it’s the BCCI, who has to pay us. They have not given our money back. As far as Kochi is concerned we have made payments to all our players, including all the support staff members.”

The BCCI took the decision to terminate KTK’s contract after the business group that bought the rights failed to pay their full bank guarantee.

Foreign players suffer too

Heath Mills, New Zealand Cricket Players’ Association chief executive, said, “There has been an issue with regard to a certain amount of outstanding fees that Brendon McCullum is to receive from the Kochi IPL team. We have been trying to get in touch with people in the Kochi team, basically the owners but we haven’t got a response yet. At the moment no one is responding and it is unclear as to who is responsible. We are aware that the BCCI has advised players to take up the issue of non-payment of full fees with the Kochi team owners. As of now that is the route we are pursuing but if we continue to get no response we will have to consult the BCCI with regard to the next course of action.”

On termination of the franchise, the BCCI had promised that it would look after the interests of the affected players. However, that hasn’t happened. Kedar Jadhav who turned out for the Kochi Tuskers said, “The communication from the BCCI has also been confusing.” Jadhav who plays for Maharashtra in the Ranji Trophy had a two-year-contract worth Rs 20 lakh with the Tuskers. “They still owe me 35 per cent of the money promised to me last year,” Jadhav said.

Jadhav’s teammate B Akhil has decided to take the franchise to court over the non-payment of his dues. “I haven’t received 40 per cent of my fee for last year,” Akhil said.

Akhil had signed a 2-year-contract worth Rs 30 lakh. “The Indian cricket board should have ensured that the domestic players were accommodated in other teams.”

Source : http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Players-left-unpaid-as-BCCI-Kochi-team-owners-pass-the-buck/930240/

===

Where is Tim May and his FICA ???
It is very clear that they are trying to create an issue to tarnish the image of BPL which is becoming the 2nd most lucrative T20 league. If BPL continues to grow, soon it will draw more international stars and will be more attractive league than SA T20, Aussie Big Bash or English T20 league.

Now, some folks are helpless against the might of India in cricket world, so they cant utter anything against IPL and lets it be. But when it comes to Bangladesh and BPL, the world is falling apart for them and they have to stop it at any cost.

Remember how they stopped English wicket keeper Matt Prior to even participate in the auction ???

Being said that, BCB and the team franchise should have kept their commitment and paid the players at an agreed time frame.

BCB should take a hard stance and fight back to shut May & gong before it gets too late.

kalpurush
June 10, 2012, 05:10 AM
+1, Rabz :up:

BTW, who is this Ms May!? Cheerleader!!?

Zunaid
June 10, 2012, 05:17 AM
Tim May is FICA president. Players union. Bangladeshi players are also protected by this union.

I agree that the percentage remaining is small, but it is still a breach of contract and BCB not communicating back partly caused this escalation.

Zunaid
June 10, 2012, 05:19 AM
PS: FICA and BCCI does not see eye to eye so let's not find an eendia conspiracy under every rock. That would be low on our part.

Rabz
June 10, 2012, 05:54 AM
Zunaid bhai, my example of IPL was for reference, thats all.
Nothing against India or IPL or any other league in the world.

My point was, non payment by franchise owners have had happened in the past in other leagues which are far more organised and professional than ours and also running into its 5th season. While as, BPL just concluded its inaugural edition and we all know it was hastily arranged and there were some lacking on part of BCB.

But to go out all guns blazing with 'gelo gelo shob gelo' attitute by Tim May and FICA is just over the top response to issues that will have to be solved. BCB can't get away without paying the players, this is not local para cricket we are talking about. This is an international event.

Ofcourse our incompetent Board and franchise owners paved the way for this situation to even arise in the first place and they should be held liable for tarnishing the country's image, but it doesnt warrant the response to that magnitude of what we see from FICA and May.

I think we should hit back with a report of our own, in collaboration with BCB stating the facts and pressurize cricinfo to publish it. Image needs to be restored and names needed to be cleared before it gets too late.

Zunaid
June 10, 2012, 05:59 AM
I think we should hit back with a report of our own, in collaboration with BCB stating the facts and pressurize cricinfo to publish it. Image needs to be restored and names needed to be cleared before it gets too late.

They did come back strongly. See the BPL governing council press release a few posts back that I posted- this was given equal billing by Cricinfo.

senman
June 10, 2012, 06:00 AM
PS: FICA and BCCI does not see eye to eye so let's not find an eendia conspiracy under every rock. That would be low on our part.

Exactly FICA is the no.1 enemy as far as BCCI is concerned as they(BCCI) do not allow player associations to flourish. FICA wouldn't do zilch against BCCI because they know how BCCI does business.

but why the situation gone this wrong? BCB should have predicted this long ago and should have done something to get it away from press. Totally a bad advertisement for BPL2.

Hope it get resolved quickly.

tonoy
June 10, 2012, 06:04 AM
I don't think anyone here is finding a link to India or BCCI. What just irks me is that these so called association turn a blind eye to many past incidences, yet they suddenly remember what their so called jobs are when it comes to Bangladesh. It just baffles me as to how they always love to highlight the inefficiencies of the "third world" yet turn a blind eye to their own.

Yes, the players might have been payed late, but I'm sure not one of them are dying of hunger because of this. And let's be frank, the sum they are getting are quite a lot for a less than a month of cricket.

So Mr. May, I am sorry that FICA does not get any direct share from BPL's revenue. And I am also sorry that you are powerless to stop any English or any International players from joining BPL for next season. But I'm sure your advice about how dirty and corrupt Bangladesh really is will be much appreciated by the players; especially when absurd amount of cash will be waived in front of them.

Zunaid
June 10, 2012, 06:09 AM
I see some attempt to browbeat a lowly cricket board. The FICA would not have been so aggressive had they bean dealing with the big 5. BUT - don't forget FICA us NOT the English players union, they also represent Bangladesh cricketers.

FICA's Role
The Federation of International Cricketers' Associations (FICA) was established in 1998 to coordinate the activities of all national players' associations. These protect the interests of professional cricketers throughout the world.

FICA aims to bring together all of the world's cricketers, regardless of nationality, religion, political persuasion or race under an international body which focuses on matters that directly or indirectly affect players. FICA members total 70% of the full member countries. However, ts representations and benefits are extended to all players, whether from FICA countries or not.

FICA's member associations are:

Australian Cricketers Association
Professional Cricketers Association (England)
New Zealand Cricket Players Association
South African Cricketers Association
Sri Lankan Cricketers Association
West Indies Players Association
Cricketers Welfare Association of Bangladesh

FICA's Objectives

To present the collective voice of international cricketers and their interests to the game's controlling body, the ICC or other related parties (IPL etc.)
To promote and protect the interests of all and any of its Members.
To improve the economic or social conditions of past and present cricketers.
To assist in the eradication of corruption from all levels of cricket.
To uphold the core values of the game.
To assist in dispute resolution between members and its constituents.

Governance

FICA's policy and direction is determined by its Board, which includes the FICA President, FICA CEO and one representative of each of its member associations. The Board's members are:

President - Jimmy Adams
CEO - Tim May
Secretary - Tony Irish (South Africa)
Treasurer - Paul Marsh (Australia)
Angus Porter (England)
Heath Mills ( New Zealand)
Dinanath Ramnarine ( West Indies)
Ken De Alwis ( Sri Lanka)
Debrabrata Paul ( Bangladesh)

President: Jimmy Adams
Chief Executive: Tim May
FICA,
1511 Rockcliff Road
Austin, Texas, USA

zinatf
June 10, 2012, 06:11 AM
Sorry but couldn't found an English version :-|

Looks like BPL governing council are suspecting May

http://eprothomalo.com/contents/2012/2012_06_10/content_zoom/2012_06_10_22_6_b.jpg

tonoy
June 10, 2012, 06:17 AM
Yes they also represent Bangladeshi cricketers too. But I see not one mention of them when Mr. May had made his conferences. He seemed to give utmost priorities to the international players and particularly the English players. But what about the local Bangladeshi players who I believe should be given much more importance as they are not as financially independent as those well paid county players?

kalpurush
June 10, 2012, 06:19 AM
+1 with Tonoy here as well.

I recalled at least two occasions when FICA refused to involve in favour of Bangladeshi cricket players in the past years. Tim May then said they don't have any responsibility of any Bangladeshi players as they are not FICA members. I have no source to link as it was years ago.

-as myself

Zunaid
June 10, 2012, 06:20 AM
Sorry but couldn't found an English version :-|

Looks like BPL governing council are suspecting May

See post #23 above. The BPL governance council press release. Tim May's stance is definitely fishy.

dash
June 10, 2012, 07:56 AM
The way to restore this image is to hold a grand Bpl 2 ..I bet the mercenaries will be knocking at the door

dash
June 10, 2012, 08:06 AM
To add to kochi case bcci even asked players to file court cases in order for bcci to pay the players As guarantor
Even if bcb has to pay back as guarantors it will be a complicated process as it is with any financial mitigation . Just because it is Bangladesh FICA thinks they can go around and bully us

cricheart
June 10, 2012, 10:25 AM
It seems Gag thing didn't really worked well on these leakers. Its kinda pathetic to see these over-paid money hungry players still making lame complain for tax deduction and feeding media with these, where Pakistani participants were among the first foreigners who were paid full. This should make interested benefited parties worried, as such ignorant statments along with Tim May's legal war with some rich corrupted boards ruining potential market for Pakistani players.

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) called in franchise officials of its Twenty20 league yesterday in order to resolve the pending non-payment issue as it faces a legal action from the players’ association, FICA.

Duronto Rajshahi Chairman Mushfiqur Rehman Mohan confirmed that the meeting took place yesterday and while half the franchises have cleared their dues, the problem has come up due to the rest finding it difficult to arrange huge sums in such a short time. “The board wants to ensure that these problems don’t surface again which is why the meeting took place,” Mohan told The Express Tribune before replying to the Pakistani players’ concerns after they were paid only 75% of the promised amount.

“They’ve been paid 75% because the other 25% is the tax that has been deducted for foreign players. We’ll send the receipts of the tax payment to clear any doubts in the players’ minds.

“We want to take the Bangladesh Premier League to new heights in the next edition and I promise these problems will not happen.”

Meanwhile, the Pakistani players who took part in the event’s inaugural edition have confirmed that no such tax clause was present in their contracts. “They’ve deducted 25% and called it tax while the amount that was to be deducted was not mentioned in the contracts,” said a player.

“I’ve been asking them to send me the receipt as proof because I can’t believe the tax rate will be this high. The organisers are acting in an immature manner that could harm their reputation and the participation of the players in the future.”

source (http://tribune.com.pk/story/391341/bangladesh-premier-league-25-tax-deduction-was-part-of-contract/)

Zunaid
June 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Media Release

Outcome of BPL  Governing Council Meeting with Franchise Owners

PLAYER PAYMENT
The Governing Council was informed that the outstanding payment of foreign players who had participated in the inaugural edition of the BPL now stood at US$ 2,35,000.00 (approximately). The BCB as guarantor, will complete the payment of the dues shortly.   

The franchises have assured the Governing Council that approximately 70 (seventy) percent of the local players’ payment have been cleared. The Governing Council meanwhile, as a priority has initiated the process to get the confirmed figure of outstanding payment to local cricketers. The BCB as guarantor would resolve claim related issues if required.    

BCB President AHM Mustafa Kamal, who chaired the meeting with the franchises said: “We are convinced that only a negligible amount remains unpaid and the delay is mostly down to technical issues. The foreign cricketers’ non-payment claim has been grossly exaggerated and in certain cases miscommunication and lack of coordination between players and agents have contributed to the rumors.

“We are very clear about the BPL players’ payment issue. Everyone knows that not a single penny would remain unpaid as the BCB is the guarantor. I get the impression that some people are trying to malign  the BCB and the BPL. We are not accountable to anyone other than the players and we have not received any complaints from them. We have a proud tradition. Foreign cricketers who have participated in domestic competitions in Bangladesh over the decades have never alleged that they have not received payment.”

--- ENDS ---

TigerEz
June 12, 2012, 04:06 PM
The Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) governing council said that the remaining outstanding amounts due to the league's foreign players will be paid very shortly. BPL secretary Sirajuddin Mohammad Alamgir told ESPNcricinfo that they had received a letter from the franchises, which said that within the next two days the $235,000 (approx) in unpaid wages will be settled. A Bangladesh board press release from later in the day also made an assurance, saying that the "BCB, as the guarantor, will complete the payment of the dues shortly".

This was the council's second meeting with the franchises in the space of four days, after the Federation of International Cricketers Associations' chief executive, Tim May, had said the BPL was "amateurish" in their dealings with the unpaid cricketers.

"They gave us in writing that the money will be paid within the next day or two," Alamgir said after the meeting. "We understand that the franchises were new to this [being part of a league]. And they have got into a lot of trouble regarding paying these players because of various issues, but they have committed that nobody will go unpaid."

ESPNcricinfo has learned from sources in the different franchises that there have been incidents of wrong bank-account information from one player, which led to delayed payment, while another was said to have become angry when the franchise belatedly contacted him regarding payments.

While the BPL is trying to keep the international players happy, several local players are as yet unpaid. The franchises have also said that around 30% of the local players' payment remain unpaid and will be settled in seven to ten days. The governing council will confirm the figure of outstanding dues to the local players.

The BPL council's meeting with the franchises was chaired by BCB chief Mustafa Kamal. He had told ESPNcricinfo recently that the issue of unpaid wages has never been a problem in Bangladesh. Overseas coaches too, he said, have never complained about payment.

"We have had foreign coaches working with our team for a long time - Eddie Barlow, Gordon Greenidge, Dav Whatmore, so many names," Kamal said. "We have not defaulted on payments to them, they have never had any complaints."

Kamal said the BCB is "financially one of the richest boards in the world" and recounted the names of overseas players who had played in Bangladesh's lucrative club leagues in the 1990s, including Neil Fairbrother, Richard Illingworth and Ajay Jadeja. "I have always said that if there is a problem with BPL payments because it is a new league and there may be some mistakes, it will be BCB's responsibility and we will pay up instead [of the franchises]."

He said it was important for the BPL to be successful. "Its stakeholders are the players, the fans and the country, and it has benefitted all of these. If it doesn't do well, who will be the biggest losers? The players."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/current/story/568230.html :D

akabir77
June 12, 2012, 04:23 PM
why don't the media takes interview of mr May and ask him where he got his info and who is baki and how much is baki?

Ian Pont
June 13, 2012, 05:19 AM
Bottom line is the truth is that many payments are still outstanding from almost 4 months ago.

Whoever is right or wrong in this, those are the facts.
Whoever is in charge of payments holds the key.
Much talk, yet still uncleared.

People in life are judged on what they do, not what they say.

I make no accusations here., just relay facts. Others can decide who is responsible.

HereWeGo
June 13, 2012, 08:46 AM
Bottom line is the truth is that many payments are still outstanding from almost 4 months ago.

Whoever is right or wrong in this, those are the facts.
Whoever is in charge of payments holds the key.
Much talk, yet still uncleared.

People in life are judged on what they do, not what they say.

I make no accusations here., just relay facts. Others can decide who is responsible.

Hi Coach,
There is no doubt that someone somewhere screwd up. If I am paid 4 months late than I expect an interest on the payment. We as citizens of Bangladesh are apologetic for this mishap from the organisers and cricket board. I am confident thaat the dues will definately be paid since foreign players are playing in our leagues for decades now and payment has never been an issue.

My question to you is, Why is it that not a single foreign cricketer or coach or support staff formally complained about the delay?

oronnya
June 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
Murali also suggests that when it comes to T20 cricket, Bangladesh could teach England a thing or two...

Muralitharan even suggested that England's T20 competition was lagging behind Bangladesh, a competition that has been characterised by a stand off between FICA, the international players' association, and the BCB over owed player payments.

"Bangladesh launched it big and their crowds have been 30-40,000 for every match," he said. "Australia has merged into eight franchises so I think England should also do that and it could equal IPL."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/568264.html

Ian Pont
June 13, 2012, 12:42 PM
Hi Coach,
There is no doubt that someone somewhere screwd up. If I am paid 4 months late than I expect an interest on the payment. We as citizens of Bangladesh are apologetic for this mishap from the organisers and cricket board. I am confident thaat the dues will definately be paid since foreign players are playing in our leagues for decades now and payment has never been an issue.

My question to you is, Why is it that not a single foreign cricketer or coach or support staff formally complained about the delay?

The contract is between the players and the franchises. I can assure you that players are constantly asking/complaining/questioning the franchises, weekly.

With regard to "complaints" - the players union (acting on behalf of ALL the foreign players) has been doing this for more than a month or two, to try to get the BCB to take action. The Professional Cricketer's Association (PCA) in England has also been acting on behalf of the professionals from here and the same questions are constantly raised.

Not sure how much more people can keep asking the same questions to be honest.

Let's be honest though. If you have a written contract, that is a formal document. Should you have to resort to 'going public' or dragging the name of Bangladesh Cricket through the dirt to get something done? Cricketers do not want to do that, I can assure you.

mufi_02
June 13, 2012, 01:04 PM
With regard to "complaints" - the players union (acting on behalf of ALL the foreign players) has been doing this for more than a month or two, to try to get the BCB to take action. The Professional Cricketer's Association (PCA) in England has also been acting on behalf of the professionals from here and the same questions are constantly raised.

What player's union are you talking about? FICA doesn't represent ALL foreign players as you mentioned. BPL was dominated by Bangladeshi and the majority of foreign players came from Pakistan. FICA doesn't represent either of these two countries. The most expensive player, Shahid Afridi mentioned he received his money and no other Pak or Bdeshi player has made any formal complaint in the media so far.

So Tim May and FICA represents a tiny portion of players in BPL but are making the most noise. Its not like those players haven't been paid at all. They received more than 50% of their payment and some up to 80%. May can raise the issue in proper manner but his first outburst was in the fan forum PakPassion.

Whatever happened was unfortunate. But BCB acts as the guarantor and that means players will get their due money no matter what. Other leagues takes time to clear their dues.

I am not supporting BCB's actions and this due should have been cleared earlier. But I don't believe May and FICA are working for the players. Even before the league, this same guy raised concern about match fixing in Bangladesh. So we have every reason to doubt his actions.

oronnya
June 13, 2012, 01:09 PM
What player's union are you talking about? FICA doesn't represent ALL foreign players as you mentioned. BPL was dominated by Bangladeshi and the majority of foreign players came from Pakistan. FICA doesn't represent either of these two countries. The most expensive player, Shahid Afridi mentioned he received his money and no other Pak or Bdeshi player has made any formal complaint in the media so far.

So Tim May and FICA represents a tiny portion of players in BPL but are making the most noise. Its not like those players haven't been paid at all. They received more than 50% of their payment and some up to 80%. May can raise the issue in proper manner but his first outburst was in the fan forum PakPassion.

Whatever happened was unfortunate. But BCB acts as the guarantor and that means players will get their due money no matter what. Other leagues takes time to clear their dues.

I am not supporting BCB's actions and this due should have been cleared earlier. But I don't believe May and FICA are working for the players. Even before the league, this same guy raised concern about match fixing in Bangladesh. So we have every reason to doubt his actions.

:up::up::up::up::up:

MohammedC
June 13, 2012, 01:31 PM
What player's union are you talking about? FICA doesn't represent ALL foreign players as you mentioned. BPL was dominated by Bangladeshi and the majority of foreign players came from Pakistan. FICA doesn't represent either of these two countries.

mufi bhai you mean the Pakistanis. Who made big noise about players wage aren't represented by FICA. (Showing their love...for Bangladesh) I mean the hate

CWAB: Cricketers Welfare Association of Bangladesh
President: Naimur Rahman Durjoy
General Secretary: Debabrata Paul
152/2 N Green Road
Nahar Plaza
2nd Floor
Panthopath
Dhaka
Bangladesh
Phone: +880 2 9117698
Email: cwabbn@yahoo.com

http://www.thefica.com/en/our-member-associations/cricketers-welfare-association-of-bangladesh

MohammedC
June 13, 2012, 01:35 PM
Here is the list of country who are represented by FICA.

Australian Cricketers’ Association

Cricketers Welfare Association of Bangladesh

New Zealand Cricket Players’ Association

Professional Cricketers’ Association

South African Cricketers Association

Sri Lanka Cricketers’ Association

West Indies Players' Association

mufi_02
June 13, 2012, 01:46 PM
Moc bhai, I read BCB doesn't recognise FICA

ফিকাকে তো আমরা রিকগনাইজই করি না (http://www.kalerkantho.com/?view=details&type=gold&data=Football&pub_no=912&cat_id=1&menu_id=18&news_type_id=1&index=4)

So this CWAB that is mentioned in FICA site doesn't mean that they represent Bangladeshi players.

Also Lotus said --

"Immediately after the FICA’s move, BCB president AHM Mustafa Kamal told banglanews over phone, “No BPL Player has yet made any complaint to the BCB for his due… Chief Executive of FICA Tim May did not even give us any list of unpaid players.”

and "Afridi, who topped the auction at $700,000, was reported last month as saying that he had been paid"
(http://www.banglanews24.com/English/detailsnews.php?nssl=eabe8e1fe6add3ddf6d65b6df954b 376&nttl=44288&toppos=1)

Read this as well - http://eprothomalo.com/index.php?opt=view&page=1&date=2012-06-10#

MohammedC
June 13, 2012, 01:56 PM
@ mufi bhai. Have you ever been a member of any union ?

For example SACA and CSA are 2 different organisation. So is PCA and ECB.

Try telling Durjoy, CWAB does not exist. Even our beloved Ash is member of CWAB.

MohammedC
June 13, 2012, 01:58 PM
BTW why you believe Kaler Kanta

mufi_02
June 13, 2012, 02:13 PM
Moc bhai, no I was never in any union. I believed Kaler Kantha because they quoted LK and it was his words and not of the newspaper.

From the very beginning PCA and FICA were very critical of BPL. At first they advised their players to not attend BPL --

"FICA, led by former Australia offspinner Tim May, of which the PCA is part of alongside the player bodies from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka and West Indies, insisted on being involved in the player contracts but it was the only element that the representatives were able to control and Porter said consideration was given to advising players not to join."

Just after the tournament ended, head of PCA (which is part of FICA) said "It's early to press the panic button but I am concerned whether players will get paid what they are due."...what is that supposed to mean? BCB is acting as the guarantor and that means the player will be paid, no matter what. And Porter adds "We had concerns about the competition from the outset," Angus Porter, the PCA chief executive, told ESPNcricinfo."

http://www.mycrictime.com/newsinfo.php?id=1494

This shows FICA really never supported BPL. I am not supporting the delay in payment. We have to understand that the whole tournament was organised in very short time and thus there were some hiccups. But I say FiCA trying very hard to undermine the success of BPL.

Ian Pont
June 13, 2012, 04:30 PM

Let me deal in facts and not opinion:

1.I didn't mention FICA, you did. I said the players unions (of each member nation).

2.You have to understand that no player will want to go public for fear of not getting paid their dues.

3. The power lays in the hands of those who are paying. Just because no one complains directly to the BCB is irrelevant. A simple conversation between franchises and BPL discovered payments are missing.

4. How long should a guarantor leave it to cover the debts when the payments were all due in February?

5. Players care about three things so they can perform for the fans: payment, flights and accommodation. The tournament was a success thanks to those players.

6. It isn't for players to be grateful they will be getting their money at "some stage soon". It is their contractual right to receive it according to the agreed schedules back at the time. The players all turned up on time and did their job.

7. The franchises, organisers and guarantor knew the salaries (as they bid at auction) and knew the amount they were committing to and the timeframe for payment.

8. The BCB had an Asian Cup to worry about, a resigning head coach and then a search for his replacement. The BPL was no longer a priority.

9. Whether or not FICA has an agenda is irrelevant. They, along with many players, felt the warning signs on payments were there in the competition itself. Some before. They were proved correct.

BANFAN
June 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
BCB Should have remained quite and paid the players as they are doing. Releasing so many press releases are only working as negative publicity of BPL and Tim May is achieving what he wanted to, even partly. Even 200,000 out standing is an outstanding and they should silently sort it out. If Tim May goes to the court, that shouldn't have bothered BCB if these out standings are due to reasons beyond their control, as they suggest. More BCB tries to explain and defend their position, BPL loses more. At best give a well organized and articulated shut up call to Tim May if he comes out in public and talks rubbish on BPL ...if BCB thinks that they have done things the way they should have done. I don't want to see another press release from BCB on this issue anytime soon.

Jadukor
June 13, 2012, 09:57 PM
Tim May is simply asking for players to be paid. We can discuss whether his reaction is overblown or not after our Board has paid all the players their dues. At this point it is good that Tim May has created this extra pressure on BCB because otherwise it might have taken another six months. With this added pressure put on them now it is highly likely that the outstanding dues will be settled by the end of this month and the whole issue will be forgotten in the next six months. What we don't want is a controversy just before the start of BPL 2... so its good that we are dealing with whatever problems that arose at this point in time.

dash
June 14, 2012, 05:33 AM
Moc bhai, no I was never in any union. I believed Kaler Kantha because they quoted LK and it was his words and not of the newspaper.

From the very beginning PCA and FICA were very critical of BPL. At first they advised their players to not attend BPL --

"FICA, led by former Australia offspinner Tim May, of which the PCA is part of alongside the player bodies from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka and West Indies, insisted on being involved in the player contracts but it was the only element that the representatives were able to control and Porter said consideration was given to advising players not to join."

Just after the tournament ended, head of PCA (which is part of FICA) said "It's early to press the panic button but I am concerned whether players will get paid what they are due."...what is that supposed to mean? BCB is acting as the guarantor and that means the player will be paid, no matter what. And Porter adds "We had concerns about the competition from the outset," Angus Porter, the PCA chief executive, told ESPNcricinfo."

http://www.mycrictime.com/newsinfo.php?id=1494

This shows FICA really never supported BPL. I am not supporting the delay in payment. We have to understand that the whole tournament was organised in very short time and thus there were some hiccups. But I say FiCA trying very hard to undermine the success of BPL.
You are right FICA and someothers where always critical from the outset.and we're waiting to jump the gun... however bcb should have made sure that the payments where on time....even in his last statement was highly dubious...he can threat to go to court....but to link kamals icc candidacy and ridiculing bcb was surprising to come from someone holding his post

mufi_02
June 14, 2012, 08:33 AM
Adding to this, FICA also represent SL players. Where were they when SL players went unpaid for months and months from their own board? I never heard any threats to court or questioning SL cricket board's professionalism. Where was Tim May?

P.S. I am not supporting the delay in payment. It should have been cleared within the deadline.

cricheart
June 14, 2012, 10:38 AM
Adding to this, FICA also represent SL players. Where were they when SL players went unpaid for months and months from their own board? I never heard any threats to court or questioning SL cricket board's professionalism. Where was Tim May?

P.S. I am not supporting the delay in payment. It should have been cleared within the deadline.

I think it's bit off-topic, since you ask for it here is some published media proof in time chronology order for FICA's activity at top to help solving SL cricketer's slaray crisis systematically-

FICA to look into Sri Lanka's salary delays (http://www.espncricinfo.com/srilanka/content/current/story/543067.html) -November 30, 2011
Unpaid Sri Lankan cricketers' plight takes international spotlight (http://www.islandcricket.lk/news/srilankacricket/144321204/unpaid-sri-lankan-cricketers-plight-takes-international-spotlight) - December 5, 2011
Sri Lanka Cricket receives government bailout (http://www.islandcricket.lk/news/srilankacricket/145151211/sri-lanka-cricket-receives-government-bailout) - December 11, 2011
ICC should not make direct payments to players (http://www.colombocricket.com/2011/12/icc-should-not-make-direct-payments-to.html) - December 21, 2011
Sri Lanka's cash crisis threatens to overshadow tri-series tour (http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/sri-lankas-cash-crisis-threatens-to-overshadow-triseries-tour-20120201-1qths.html) - February 1, 2012
Cricketers salary issue resolved (http://www.thesundayleader.lk/2012/02/17/cricketers-salary-issued-resolved/) - February 17, 2012
Sri Lanka orders bank to pay player wages (http://www.supersport.com/cricket/international/news/120217/Sri_Lanka_orders_bank_to_pay_player_wages) - February 17, 2012

Now if you compare same with FICA-Lota correspondance, what we find FICA was trying looking after every party involved in it-
The continued broken promises and deadlines is causing great harm to the integrity of the franchises, the Bangladesh Premier League, the Bangladesh Cricket Board, and all of the officials within such organizations.
BUT Lota's literal "Fook off" ("Ameturish") reply/non-reply leaving Tim no option but to knock our court. As long as money is almost/about to be paid, We shouldn't be worried for BPL to be declared bankrupt like SL. What I seek to see what is 'Just'. Those culprits still their shamelessly speaking of court defence instead of taking the responsibilty with full explainationary media apology, they have no rights to play with my Bangladeshi national pride & image.