PDA

View Full Version : Insight about Rofique

tensionEaachi
March 14, 2004, 03:27 AM
Bangladesh left out Mohammad Rafique, probably their best bowler, due to disciplinary reasons. He was replaced by Manjural Islam Rana.

I wonder why rofique was left out.... any insight about this?

[Edited on 14-3-2004 by tensionEaachi]

fwullah
March 14, 2004, 06:20 AM
I am asking the same question. Does anyone know what he did?

Ahmed_B
March 14, 2004, 06:33 AM
Rafiq is not known as an arrogant person.. rather he is quite a gentle guy!
even so is Bashar himself!
i am surprised really!!

rassel
March 14, 2004, 10:29 AM
It was a bad time to do something like that? I could not imagine what could have happen if rafiq was playing today. He is our only match winner!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Optimist
March 14, 2004, 10:38 AM
You guys surely read this; But just in case you did not --

http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strrefer=displayocr&straction=headline&iItemID=6775&iCategoryID=1

Optimist
March 14, 2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Rafiq is not known as an arrogant person.. rather he is quite a gentle guy!
even so is Bashar himself!
i am surprised really!!

Rafiq is not arrogant but sometimes he has these rush of blood........Once he wrote to BCB that he is retiring!!

fwullah
March 14, 2004, 11:18 AM
I just read it, before I thought that it was something to do with captaincy.

reinausagi
March 14, 2004, 11:45 AM
Seems like hot tempers led to an old fashioned dressing room altercation. Management was absolutely right to impose immediate disciplinary action and put Rafique on a plane back home. no one is greater than the team.

AGC
March 14, 2004, 12:15 PM
Our only world class player...and he is sent home!

rafiq
March 14, 2004, 01:00 PM
Hopefully it will all blow away. People get upset, these things happen. Let's hope neither Rafique nor the Board take actions that are not proportionate to the matter in the big scheme of things. The team is just turning a corner...

Zunaid
March 14, 2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by rafiq
Hopefully it will all blow away. People get upset, these things happen. Let's hope neither Rafique nor the Board take actions that are not proportionate to the matter in the big scheme of things. The team is just turning a corner...

Put it on his permanent record :). Suspend him for a few weeks but make sure he does not get all emotional ala Sujon.

And make sure the "suspension" is lifted early enough for him to be in the training camp for the Windian tour.

- Z

[Edited on 15-3-2004 by Zunaid : putnit? put it]

rassel
March 14, 2004, 05:24 PM
without Rafique more misery to come for BD in the upcoming test!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

sage
March 14, 2004, 05:33 PM
It doesn't matter how good is he. He still cannot abuse rana for going to price for tips. Price might know something that rana need to know. It doesn't disrespect rafiq in any way.

AGC
March 14, 2004, 06:19 PM
Does anyone know what actually happened?

Navarene
March 14, 2004, 06:49 PM
If the allegation proves to be true against Rafique, then its brilliant for Bangladesh team management to take a tough but right decision at a crucail point. People have to learn that they are not greater than the team.

But is the team management itself innocent? How can we forget when Bangladesh manager M.A. Latif gave an interview in Urdu to pakistan media during the last tour to Pakistan? Is it also not a clear "breach of the code of conduct" against a nation's sentiment?

Rubu
March 14, 2004, 07:10 PM
so far i found the most detailed report on rafiq on prothom alo. u guys may wanna read it. to me it seems like, rafiq was very disappointed about something for a long long while and it suddenly erupted when sumon took rana to zim player for advice. i guess rafiq was hoping to get the captency instead of sumon or something like that.

i can't match few things. isn't this the same rafiq who didn't out a pakistany player because he fall down during pakistan tour? (i forgot the names and details). how come such a cricket minded player do something like that?

no doubt he is our best player and we can't afford to loose him now. i hope it ends by rafiq apoligizing to the team and management.

BangladeshCricket
March 14, 2004, 07:17 PM
Is this what we do for our country? All my life I saw we are in jeopardy of threats, selfishness, chaos, disorders in all aspects of life. I know even if somebody compares me with someone, I feel bad inside. I get aggitated, and I make mistake. Rafiq did the same, I guess. But he made a horrible mistake to get into a fight. Now, all I hope things don't get worse. If he resigns now( which will be a stupid idea), I hope this don't go too far which will just hamper our this progress of us.

reinausagi
March 14, 2004, 07:32 PM
Putnit on his permanent record . Suspend him for a few weeks but make sure he does not get all emotional ala Sujon.

As suggested by Zunaid. This seems to be a sensible course of action.

[Edited on 15-3-2004 by Zunaid : edited my typo in the quote]

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 14, 2004, 08:50 PM
ashole beparta hoise ki rafique akjon bhalo boler. bangladesh doler akjon guruttopurno boler ebong batsman o. chomotkar spin kore. tar arm boll kintu khubi bikkhato. akhon hoise ki rana ke bashar niye gese price ar kase. akhon oh bechara mone hoi aktu insulted feel korse. je bechara oh ato bhalo boler or kase na jaya bashar kon price ar kase niye gese. ai jonno oi temper haraya falaise. helliga ai shob hoise. ar amnite rafique aktu hot tempered age thekai. ami or sentiment ta buste parsi kintu or ai bebohar ami moteo support kori na. tobe oke je desh a pathai dise aita ami support kori karon bhobishhote ai rokom kisu korar age kono player ditiyo bar chinta korbe. tobe ami asha korbo khub shigri aitar mit mat hobe. karon rafique oboshhoi amader akjon guruttopurno player. take chara amader oboshhoi akta loss. tobe ami asha korbo rafique tar bhul buzhte parbe ebong doler kase khoma cheye abar fire ashbe. aita akta kothin kaj hobe tar jonno kintu aita chara tar ar korar kichu nai. rafique amar akjon ottanto priyo khelowar tar ai bebohar a ami kichuta dukkho peyechi. dannabad.

sujon
March 14, 2004, 09:26 PM
I think his career is over. I wonder why he could do something like this. We certainly cannot afford to lose him, but I dont see any hope.

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 14, 2004, 09:29 PM
i really dont think his career is over. he still can play a couple of years. we dont have any close substitute. we really need him. no one in our team is as good in spin bowling as him. he is experienced. with him on one side and mashrafee on the other side our bowling attack can be one of the best.

sasharif
March 14, 2004, 11:01 PM
I think Rafique is one of our greatest sporting assessets. Probably even more than Habibul Bashar. However, if the allegations are true the actions of the management are right. No one is bigger than the team and there should be no compromise about discipline. However, one needs to take all perspective and Rafique should be given an oppurtunity to defend himself. There is no shmae to say sorry to your old mate. Thats go to Bashar as well. It will be good for him if he over comes the crisis and try to sort it out between himself and Rafique. Bashar should have scored at least 30 runs yester day and rise to the ocassion. Hats off to Rana and Hannan for their performance in the midst of a low team moral.

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 14, 2004, 11:04 PM
sasharif bhai,
besh bebhe chinte akti guruttopurno kotha bolar jonno kintu apnake onek onek shubechha. amio kintu apnar shathe ak mot. sorry bolar moddhe kintu lojja nai. ebong kalke rana ebong hannan tara kintu chomotkar kheleche. tobe onnora kintu hotash koreche. jaihok asha kori bhobishhote tara consistency bojai rakhbe. dannabad.

AsifTheManRahman
March 14, 2004, 11:11 PM
Rana got a half century on debut...well done...

Rafique does have some back ground of displaying rush of blood...well not really rush of blood but something that is not acceptable...
Remember when a couple of the top players including Bulbul, Rafique and Sujon were banned because they went against the BCB as the latter required all national players to give up club cricket or sth like that? Rafique was accused of galifying the BCB officials in public

AsifTheManRahman
March 14, 2004, 11:14 PM
You simply cannot misbehave with a captain...
Besides as an experienced player, and one of the best in the side, you have to set up a model for the youngsters...

What Rafique did with Bashar and Rana is very wrong...there is no reason to tolerate that...

He has broken the team spirit that evolved after the first victory...this incident might turn out to be fatal for BD cricket...I think he must be punished

rafiq
March 14, 2004, 11:20 PM
Now that Bangladeshi circketers are on the world stage, why would they give it up to go sulk in a corner? That applies to Rafique as well - he is enjoying his cricket way too much and making more money than he could elsewhere so why should he quit? I don't think we need to worry about it.

AsifTheManRahman
March 14, 2004, 11:27 PM
even if he does leave, if he is really guilty, let him...

we dont need players who dont want to accept punishment for sth they did wrong...

there will be more players like or even better than rafiq in the coming yrs...

Piranha
March 15, 2004, 12:33 AM
After Sujon was axed, do you remember the time when most of the fans here were evenly split in their choice of the new captain? Rafique and Sumon were clearly the top choices.

I wonder if the temeperament of Rafique played a part in tipping the balance in favor of Sumon. Did the selectors think that such a problem might arise?

sage
March 15, 2004, 02:12 AM
Punishment should fit the offense. Reading the information available it looks like BD took the right action. BD made the point that decipline couldn't be compromised. Rafiq also lost substantial amount of money by missing a game. I didn't think further action was needed. One game ban was enough for Rafiq's action.
I would wish rafiq, rana and sumon the best.

sohasan
March 15, 2004, 03:11 AM
Somehow I got a feeling that some team member bullied Rafiq for long time. It was an explosion of that emotion.....

I think it's Sumon's responsibility to keep an eye on player's emotion. Rafiq first created a scene on the field. What did Sumon do to cure it? Was there anything he could do so that this emotion would not follow them to the dressing room?

And also why we have a Manager with the team? To sleep in the hotel room?

I agree that Rafiq did bad thing and he should be punished. But we must do root-cause analysis and find out what else contributed on this. What could have been done differently to avoid this?

This will help us to move forward.

sasharif
March 15, 2004, 04:04 AM
I condemn the manager for his disgusting urdu interview in the PAK media. That dies not mean he is to be blamed for every thing. If he was sick with fever, its not a crime to rest in the hotel room. Moreover, he can not realistically be present in each and every moment with the players. In no circumstances this kind of behaviour is justified even if it comes from some one like Don Bradman, let alone Rafique or Bashar. I think the incidence cost us the match and the series. Having said that, team integety is more valuable in the long run than a win. Win will come if consistancy and integrity is there. I support the action so far, it should serve as a lesson to all team members. However, let us make sure no one is over penalise. We should provide a formidable resistance to WI. There moral is at all time low (47 all out). This is an example of how arogance (of Lara) can destroy a team (even having a master batsman in the team who is happened to be the worst leader in the world cricket).

fy288
March 15, 2004, 05:08 AM
no one is bigger than the team, and rafique should have known better for a player of his age. BD is now under the coaching of Watmore going places and we can not afford dressing room bust ups etc. :mad:

dorbesh
March 15, 2004, 05:30 AM
what our team managment did was the best decision. rafiq should be given more punishment unless he truly feel sorry for what he did to the team and say sorry to whole team! it is complitly unacceptable.

this incidance had impact on our team performance yesterday as we all could clearly see it. i think if we(BCB) just let it go will be big mistake, something similar will happen in the future!

SS
March 15, 2004, 09:06 AM
I admire Rafiq and his fighting spirit and talents...but again BD players' emotions and mental weaknesses will take them so down, i can't imagine. I understand that He is a very good bowler, but his arrogance and ill tempered behavior is just not acceptable..now because of this moral downfall the team will fall apart.Immediate action is needed to clear up this matter. If Bd looses Rafiq and team gets weak in moral issues, it will be another five years of long wait. I wish players show more maturity and sensibility.
If Rafiq was in last match , a win could have been a posibility. You guys will curse me as usual, but even the supporters and critics are so emotional(including me). But this is disgrace. Do you guys know if India is coming on April..we better bring 'em. But it will be impossible to beat India.

[Edited on 15-3-2004 by SS]

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 15, 2004, 10:43 AM
thank you ss bhai once again for your hilarious passimistic comment. apnar comment shuno first a chinta kori hashbo na kandbo jaihok. well india is not coming in april. because if you look at international cricket news then you will probably have known that india is in pakistan right now. and they are going to play 5 ODI. bangladesh's next tour is in west indies in may.

Rubu
March 15, 2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by sage
Punishment should fit the offense. Reading the information available it looks like BD took the right action. BD made the point that decipline couldn't be compromised. Rafiq also lost substantial amount of money by missing a game. I didn't think further action was needed. One game ban was enough for Rafiq's action.
I would wish rafiq, rana and sumon the best.

i agree with u with one addition. rafiq should verbally say sorry to rana and sumon. and that should end everything.

SS
March 15, 2004, 11:24 AM
i am not saying passimistic stuff..just be realistic...Rafiq won't say sorry...so it will be an end era for him and BD's so far improvement...BD ppl(especially players) got temper problem and they never apologize for their mistakes. We can clearly see that in our batsmen's performance...they are shameless and plays pull shot and cross bat when itz not necessary. If they had that sense remorseness, they would have done a sensible job both with bat and with attitude.

rafiq
March 15, 2004, 12:32 PM
SS miah, why won't rafique (people, please spell that with a -ue-), say sorry? He might, you never know.

In fact I am going to take this opportunity to say sorry to the entire board for ALL of my comments and writings over the years. Bhul truti maf kore diben. Dhannobad.

SS
March 15, 2004, 12:40 PM
i didn't mean u Mr.Rafiq..sorry about that.
You don have to say sorry cuz u didnt do anything...i bet Rafique will resign now like Mahmud did..and we will loose a good spinner just for a silly reason

Navarene
March 15, 2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by rafiq
In fact I am going to take this opportunity to say sorry to the entire board for ALL of my comments and writings over the years. Bhul truti maf kore diben. Dhannobad.

Apology granted (on behalf of all the board members) ;)

fwullah
March 15, 2004, 12:46 PM
agree with u with one addition. rafiq should verbally say sorry to rana and sumon. and that should end everything.

If Rafique really does that, then we'll be seeing a familiar Rafique that we all know about, the Rafique that we know from the incident in Pakistan where he didn't let a batsman out.

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 15, 2004, 12:57 PM
jaihok,
asha kori rafiq ja korben bhebe chinte korben. amra shobai manush. rokto mangshe gora manush. amra robot kingba feresta na. bhul truti amra shobai kore thaki. etai shabhabik. rafiq bhul koreche. tobe dol a she akjon ottanto guruttopurno player. tai ami mone kori rafiq nijer ebong doler kotha chinta kore abar shobar kache khomo cheye fire ashben. ebong asha korbo doler shobai take abar hashimukhe grohon korbe. ebong ari shathe akti ondhokar odhhayer iti ghotbe. dannabad.

SS
March 15, 2004, 01:14 PM
last time..I saw Pilot was kinda accused of doing something in worldcup and it affected the team ( lost badly to whom we were not suppose to loose)
Mahmud resigned(!) after being dropped...(didn't accept the reality that he is getting old and not that much sharp like before!!!) and now I see Rafique.
So, I will assume the players play based on their mood. I guess they think.." o ok I will play the pull shot and score 4 that will make me famous...i don care what coach or team or captain says" ...
"if i can make a pull shot while Shohaib or lee is bowling I will be the best..don care what the team is struggling or not"
if the senior does it..junior players why they won't think like that...
who knows may be thatz why they performed so bad in last five years or in worldcup because they are not given their desired "compensations" and "gifts".
supporters treat them like King, and that image they misuse it all the time!!

syedmahm
March 16, 2004, 02:08 PM
Whatever you gyes think about Rafique, I just want him back in Team. Nothing apart from this, I simply cannot think. He is quite unparallel performer compare to any one in BD team. A match winner. None other is a match winner. Didn't you forget before his return to BD test team. We have been just crashed in each test match, when he was not in team. After his return, we got someone to challenge to th opponent batsman.

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by syedmahm]