PDA

View Full Version : The Ziaur Rahman Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

tanvir_nus
June 22, 2012, 10:46 AM
This guy needs a thread of himself. I see a bright future ahead of him and contributions all around. From the looks of it he is here to stay. I call him "The Bangla Hulk" cause he is built like a tank.

playmaker
June 22, 2012, 10:48 AM
:smh:

cant even hit a six despite all the slogging

Kohli_Sox
June 22, 2012, 10:52 AM
Needs to work on short pitch deliveries. Also I noticed his head doesn't remain still while hitting which is the most important thing while slogging- Head Still. These things can be rectified @ nets. He's got the strength so if he improves his technique of hitting, he'll come good.

Night_wolf
June 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
sorry but this is an unnecessary official thread

zinatf
June 22, 2012, 11:07 AM
I though NO MORE official threads :confused: in BC

MohammedC
June 22, 2012, 11:09 AM
Milon is better batsmen than Zia.

BANFAN
June 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
Haven't seen him play yet, but today he hit some big shots against SA ... Tamim was also quiet uni-dimensional at the beginning of his career. If this guy can work hard, may be we can have a good Medium pace all rounder. He is definitely better, much better than Farhad Reza, with both bat and ball.

KaaL-PurusH
June 22, 2012, 11:14 AM
So far, his batting was like playing fruit ninja..hope he can get better for him n team...all the best Zia

MSM B2C
June 22, 2012, 11:15 AM
Milon is better batsmen than Zia.

Milon has a purpose while he BATS

ZIA has none, But SLOG's Blindly.:facepalm:

But he can improve! He has Power but not Timing

M.H.Rubel
June 22, 2012, 11:16 AM
He need to improve in every department to show his welgth.

TigerEz
June 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
Good Player but he's not good enough to have his own thread ....sorry mate

Equinox
June 22, 2012, 12:12 PM
He has the power, so there is something there to work with. Some basic technique work can go a long way for him. I would persist with him for the Europe tour. SL conditions might suit him more too.

hoodlum
June 22, 2012, 12:26 PM
ZIA is ok. Milon should be given a chance too.

Fazal
June 22, 2012, 12:28 PM
We should stick with him for t20 format and see how he develops in next one year.

Good or bad he is taking advange of limited opportunity that he got. And that itself is a good sign.

Yes he has weakness (who doesn't?)... and yes he was lucky.... but if he progress he can be an asset for our t20 team.

BD Rox
June 22, 2012, 01:03 PM
People were so confident about Zia. He can do this.....he can do that....all other stuffs. He was the only 1, who was letting BD down big time. All those wild swings to no avail. Some of the shots were really poor, including the 1s which even crossed the rope. One word can describe him-UNPROFESSIONAL.
Really disappointing with his performance.

Rabz
June 22, 2012, 01:24 PM
He needs to work on his technique and temperament.
He is probably the cleanest hitter we got after Kapali (who is a history now) and a big lad with some power hitting abilities.
Bowls a decent enough medium pace to chip in as the 3rd pacer and a good fielder.

Just mathar ghilu is almost non existent.

Some proper guidance and bit of ghilu refix, he could be a handy player for the T20 format.

I can already see him in Sri Lanka.

MohammedC
June 22, 2012, 01:27 PM
I can already see him in Sri Lanka.

You can see the future!!!! Give us the lottery number then E-)

lamisa
June 22, 2012, 01:36 PM
how well did he bowl?

Isnaad
June 22, 2012, 02:01 PM
Good prospect, looks like Imran Hashmi to some extent :|

HereWeGo
June 22, 2012, 02:08 PM
Yes some of his wild slogs did not come off but he looks so much better than the blue eyed boy of BC Anamul haque...

He is not here as a charity but only because there is no other better slogger in bangladesh cricket at this time... SA fast bowlers can be a handful for any new comers but atleast he doesnt look all at sea and looks aggressive when batting... I am sure he will never miss out on a half volley leg stump just for pace as the other so called batting sensation...

Kana-Baba
June 22, 2012, 02:08 PM
pure কোপা সামসু!

simon
June 22, 2012, 03:02 PM
Tanvir bro is an addhyatic persona.
The harshest critic of Ryad can already see bright future in Jia.
what glasses r u wearing bro? hehe

on topic:
Zia has been contributing through out this tour so definitely want to see him in our teatwnty squad.
If he improves his batting,bowling then it will interesting to see how well he does in ODeyes.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)

BANFAN
June 22, 2012, 03:27 PM
how well did he bowl?

He bowled & batted well in the tournament, got some runs slogging and got a few wkts too. He looks Very promising to me as a MP all rounder ... just needs some finishing and polishing of his skills. It's not always easy to showcase skills in this level for a new comer. Players like Anamul who is rated very highly, struggling to do it.

He has every quality (strength, intent, ability) to do well in shorter version.

Ajfar
June 22, 2012, 03:29 PM
Yes some of his wild slogs did not come off but he looks so much better than the blue eyed boy of BC Anamul haque...

He is not here as a charity but only because there is no other better slogger in bangladesh cricket at this time... SA fast bowlers can be a handful for any new comers but atleast he doesnt look all at sea and looks aggressive when batting... I am sure he will never miss out on a half volley leg stump just for pace as the other so called batting sensation...

Everyone and I mean everyone hyped up Anamul way to much. Having said that it's his first series so it might just be nerves.

Nadim
June 22, 2012, 03:36 PM
Jobbor ekta pula!!!
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

MohammedC
June 22, 2012, 03:48 PM
Anamul 20

Ziaur 26

Why are we even comparing them? Let's see where Anamul is in 6 years time.

mali007
June 22, 2012, 04:26 PM
In T20 you don't need technically sound , classy batsman . In slogging you need runs , no matter how it comes ! I like his approach , look forward to see him in T20 WC .

Navo
June 22, 2012, 04:39 PM
Mali007, I think it depends on your role in the team and the kind of opposition you are facing. If you are facing Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel, you need to have a top order that can play searing pace and bounce well as otherwise they will not be able to capitalize on the powerplays. Someone with a solid technique and a large array of shots is most likely to do that. Even if you come low down the order like Zia does you need to be prepared to play yorkers/full length deliveries well as otherwise you won't score many runs of the last couple of overs or you'll be bowled.

I like the fact that Zia is aggressive and powerful but he is over-reliant on the hoick to the legside and needs to expand his armory of strokes.

Also, how come someone with his height and build bowls at such gentle pace?

Nadim
June 22, 2012, 05:14 PM
Navo, he was one of the most promising young bowler few yrs bak. Could have bowl 80mph+ and was a regular opener with the bowl. But in his latest interview with PA, he had some serious injury, which is why he lost a lot of pace. Not only that, it also made him a occasional bowler...:(

Mind you, none of these pacers gets money from bcb to get the surgery unless ur Mash, Rubel, etc:(

zsayeed
June 22, 2012, 05:19 PM
Gracious me, one decent outing and we have official thread? Bangalis so eager to idolize and then the usual 'off with their heads' slogans.

The middle path is the best - in cases of passion. Passion - unbridled - is a dangerous thing. Many will disagree - but boyosh holey bhujbey.

mali007
June 22, 2012, 06:11 PM
In BPL his avg. was 28.5 , not bad ?

BANFAN
June 22, 2012, 06:11 PM
Gracious me, one decent outing and we have official thread? Bangalis so eager to idolize and then the usual 'off with their heads' slogans.

The middle path is the best - in cases of passion. Passion - unbridled - is a dangerous thing. Many will disagree - but boyosh holey bhujbey.

Thread er double benefit ache....if he keeps doing good, idolizers can continue doing it and if he flops.....they give birth to haters...both will have a place to do that...:)

But I just saw the high lights and I know they generally don't show missed swings..:) but I tell you, he is a brutal slogger. We needed one like that for T20. We were counting on Mash/Razzak but none could give expected output. He is prettier than Mash and very effective. His bowling is decent too, got wickets. What else u want from a tail-ender? If he can be polished a little bit, he can become our YP.

Well played today.

HereWeGo
June 22, 2012, 06:22 PM
Anamul 20

Ziaur 26

Why are we even comparing them? Let's see where Anamul is in 6 years time.

Because they are both playing for BD national team.. the first person to deserve the axe should be anamul and not zia...

Zeeshan
June 22, 2012, 06:29 PM
I like the fact that Zia is aggressive and powerful but he is over-reliant on the hoick to the legside and needs to expand his armory of strokes.

He thinks he's reverse Lara with his calypso style hoick...

cricket_pagol
June 22, 2012, 06:33 PM
haven't him bat yet, we need a player like him that come in and strike the ball hard. Obviously, he needs to improve a lot...

BengaliPagol
June 22, 2012, 08:39 PM
People were so confident about Zia. He can do this.....he can do that....all other stuffs. He was the only 1, who was letting BD down big time. All those wild swings to no avail. Some of the shots were really poor, including the 1s which even crossed the rope. One word can describe him-UNPROFESSIONAL.

Dont forget. He got us home today.

Antora
June 22, 2012, 09:22 PM
He looked horrible trying to hit the ball. Kept swining and missing like a freak!
But, he got us home and played some good shots in the end :)

Kohli_Sox
June 22, 2012, 09:55 PM
Mali007, I think it depends on your role in the team and the kind of opposition you are facing. If you are facing Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel, you need to have a top order that can play searing pace and bounce well as otherwise they will not be able to capitalize on the powerplays. Someone with a solid technique and a large array of shots is most likely to do that. Even if you come low down the order like Zia does you need to be prepared to play yorkers/full length deliveries well as otherwise you won't score many runs of the last couple of overs or you'll be bowled.

plus one

As much as hitting ability is required, technique is also important. His technique was exposed when he tried to clear boundaries to short pitch deliveries. All over the world every team has got such players- Afridi for Pak, Pollard for WI, Pathan for India; most of the times they won't come good but once they do- opposition is taken to the cleaners. From this point, Zia can only improve and can be used as slogger and pinch hitter only (with occassional see through out if team is in trouble); so therefore his hitting technique must improve.

azim71
June 22, 2012, 10:06 PM
Zia's figures in this series so far
0/16,23 v ZIM
1/28,18 v SA
1/18 v ZIM
1/7,27* v SA
Total runs; 68,Avg: 34
Wickets: 3(4 matches),Avg:23
I liked what he's done so far in the series in his 1st outing in national colors&i can only see the performances developing further.Believe,at the end it's the figures&stats which really matter,not how he's done it.

Elegantly driven through the cover,well controlled shot,lovely to watch&it's a four_scoreboard+4

Inside edge,coulda hit the stump,had no control over the shot,yet it's a four_scoreboard+4

OMG,what he's done!?he's killed himself!no credit goes to the bowler,yet it's a wicket

What a superb piece of bowling!i'm sure it's gonna be the ball of the century.beaten completely&bowled him.Really a treat to watch&it's a wicket
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

BengaliPagol
June 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
Zia's figures in this series so far
0/16,23 v ZIM
1/28,18 v SA
1/18 v ZIM
1/7,27* v SA
Total runs; 68,Avg: 34
Wickets: 3(4 matches),Avg:23
I liked what he's done so far in the series in his 1st outing in national colors&i can only see the performances developing further.Believe,at the end it's the figures&stats which really matter,not how he's done it.

I would definitely give Ziaur more chances. Hes been doing ok and hes also playing in conditions which he is not familiar with.

Naimul_Hd
June 23, 2012, 02:33 AM
A blind sloger, nothing else. Right handed Razzaq.

Jadukor
June 23, 2012, 02:40 AM
Lets wait and see what pybus can turn him into

BD Rox
June 23, 2012, 02:54 AM
Dont forget. He got us home today.

He should've got it earlier.

BD Rox
June 23, 2012, 02:55 AM
A blind sloger, nothing else. Right handed Razzaq.

Bang On!

cricheart
June 23, 2012, 03:12 AM
This guy needs a thread of himself. I see a bright future ahead of him and contributions all around. From the looks of it he is here to stay. I call him "The Bangla Hulk" cause he is built like a tank.

Other than your tank description there, he doesn't impress me much.
Ameder dole bhalo body structure wala playerer boro ovab, sob jeno ekakta hapani rugee. Pybus, ebar etare thik moto peta.

ahnaf
June 23, 2012, 03:56 AM
Good bowler but pathetic batsman.. Need to work a lot with his batting if he want to survive in Int level..
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

playmaker
June 23, 2012, 04:03 AM
desperately needs to improve his batting. If you cant hit balls that are back-of a length or shot in the slog overs then you dont deserve to be labelled as a finisher. You need to be able to put ball on bat, yesterday, he missed too many balls to my liking. He got 2 lives yesterday and yet made things look difficult

patriot
June 23, 2012, 04:33 AM
After watching Zia in these 3 matches and glimpses of some BPL matches ,

He doesnt impress me one bit . His bowling is nothing great. Yes , he bowls stump to stump . Keeps a tight length . Thats about it . Given Zia's lack of pace , In T20'S such deliveries should be easy pickings as class batsman just make a few adjustments and hit them with ease to any part of the boundary . He doesnt have any varitaions and is too one dimentional . Shane Jurgensen can work on that part though. Can he win us matches with his bowling ? NO

His batting is more like . See the ball , hit the ball . Dont see the ball . Still hit the ball . Straight from a tail enders guide to batting . So how is his batting different from Mashrafee , Razzaq or even Nazmul . Can he win us matches with his batting ? NO

That leaves us to his fielding . One of the slowest and laziest fielders to wear a Bangladesh shirt . Despite having strong arms , his throws take ages to reach Mushy and I would personally rate Danish Kaneria's throws to be more accurate.

I would be extremely happy to be proved wrong , but don't see him making it to our T20 WC squad .

Navo
June 23, 2012, 04:45 AM
^^ @Patriot, but we need to fill the position of no.7/no.8 slogger in T20s otherwise we'll never set/chase large totals. (Mash's slogging is a bonus) I agree that Zia is not ideal - his shot selection leaves much to be desired - but who could be a better replacement? Nazmul Hossain Milon? What has he done lately to impress? In spite of all his faults, Zia is our fifth-highest run scorer in this tournament (after Ash, Riyad, Mushy and Nasir) and third highest wicket taker (after Mash and Sunny) There's only so much you can expect from someone who's playing in his first international tour.

I agree with the criticisms you have but we suffer from a lack of options atm. For the team's sake, let's hope they continue working on it in the months to come.

playmaker
June 23, 2012, 04:48 AM
^^

:up:

Apart from mominul I dont see any1 who cud replace him. Reza? He looks so ugly with the bad. When he played for CTG kings he was so pathetic with the bat

Sohel
June 23, 2012, 04:51 AM
Shabbir Rahman Rumman is the ideal candidate to bat low down the order as finisher IMHO. Definitely not a goatlasher like ZiRa.

Nadim
June 23, 2012, 05:01 AM
Shabbir Rahman Rumman is the ideal candidate to bat low down the order as finisher IMHO. Definitely not a goatlasher like ZiRa.

Exactly. Especilly for T20. Shabbir proved that already. Every time he play t20, be it for academy/a team, he is the one who shines with the bat but selectors keep ignoring him. His fielding is as gd as Nasir too if not better.

Navo
June 23, 2012, 05:04 AM

But is he or Mominul ready yet for the international stage? I mean, I don't think Zia is a long-term solution atm but the World Cup in Sri Lanka isn't that far away.

He does seem to be in the selectors minds though as he's been selected for the A squad to India. Let's see how he does there, even though his performance in the four-day game isn't really illustrative of his potential in the shorter formats.

Sohel
June 23, 2012, 05:05 AM
TBH, ZiRa had decent medium fast pace before he decided to reinvent himself as a batsman in our domestics. He hardly bowls there anymore and has become a trundler.

Sohel
June 23, 2012, 05:07 AM
But is he or Mominul ready yet for the international stage? I mean, I don't think Zia is a long-term solution atm but the World Cup in Sri Lanka isn't that far away.

He does seem to be in the selectors minds though as he's been selected for the A squad to India. Let's see how he does there, even though his performance in the four-day game isn't really illustrative of his potential in the shorter formats.

Rumman has done really well in every international stage where he was given a go. His performance brought home the SAARC and Asian Games championships. He's a victim of nepotism plain and simple.

Navo
June 23, 2012, 05:09 AM
Exactly. Especilly for T20. Shabbir proved that already. Every time he play t20, be it for academy/a team, he is the one who shines with the bat but selectors keep ignoring him. His fielding is as gd as Nasir too if not better.

His most recent form in the BPL hasn't been great and that may be a factor.

playmaker
June 23, 2012, 05:10 AM
Im pretty sure that they gave some1 like zia a nod ahead of sabbir and mominul because of the more experience zia brings with himself. It could be a possible reason. But it makes no sense to play jahurul when he has been a proven failure in this format of the game

Navo
June 23, 2012, 05:32 AM
Rumman has done really well in every international stage where he was given a go. His performance brought home the SAARC and Asian Games championships. He's a victim of nepotism plain and simple.

Nepotism? Why would he be a victim of nepotism? In any case, it would have been great to have had him in this side for the unofficial series. Would have been great to see what he can do and his leg spin would have been a very useful addition. But that's past now and unless the selectors suddenly decide to add him for the Ireland/Netherlands tour, it is unlikely that he will be in the squad for this year's world cup. So, we have to hope that the best XI is fielded of the options we currently have.

Sohel
June 23, 2012, 05:53 AM
Nepotism is unpleasant but a glaring reality in this country. This is not empty suspicion mongering either unfortunately. Sadly I cannot disclose further in a public forum about the disgusting influence of nepotism and sectarianism, but would love to talk about it face to face.

KaaL-PurusH
June 23, 2012, 07:40 AM
Did u guys forget that not so long ago ZIa was just a bowler and then started to play as batsmen after picked up a injury. It’s too much to expect to see him doing great as batsmen. So it’s pretty obvious that he would have some limitation. He has been selected because he has can hit the ball hard and the selectors trying to use his ability in international arena. So it is really hash to scrutinise him for not doing something exceptional. Be fair guys

frd
June 23, 2012, 07:56 AM
some people here in BC are too harsh on zia . he played only 4 t20s and did ok .why the cry for sabbir ?? his stats in BPL is really poor and on the other hand zia did well in BPL and DPL .he mainly came in the team as a pinch hitter . let him play the t20s in ireland and then have a verdict . meanwhile sabbir may get the chance to play in the A team's tour to india. people here are so impatient .they cried for alok ,then for shuvo ,then for hom ,then for anamul , then for zia and now for sabbir :facepalm:

KaaL-PurusH
June 23, 2012, 08:05 AM
some people here in BC are too harsh on zia . he played only 4 t20s and did ok .why the cry for sabbir ?? his stats in BPL is really poor and on the other hand zia did well in BPL and DPL .he mainly came in the team as a pinch hitter . let him play the t20s in ireland and then have a verdict . meanwhile sabbir may get the chance to play in the A team's tour to india. people here are so impatient .they cried for alok ,then for shuvo ,then for hom ,then for anamul , then for zia and now for sabbir :facepalm:

well said..it seems like most of us wants ishtar not a contributor for the team :facepalm:

Hasan2k8
June 23, 2012, 10:26 AM
Ziaur will come good. He needs more time to learn. Give him time.

kalpurush
June 23, 2012, 10:46 AM
Well, Zia should be given more time for sure. Though, he seems think that slog is the ultimate solution - is it really? He got two lives in the last match and was out cheaply in the previous two matches too. I thought, in international cricket you have to be a bit more smarter than that, no?

simon
June 23, 2012, 10:53 AM

u r so right bro, it seems like some fans' love switches from one player to another.
enough said about the over hype.
No matter how lucky or sloggish Zia has been what is important is that he got runs and odd but important breakthroughs.
He is a good find but only for teaTwnties.
Yes He needs to improve a lot.specially if he wants to play ODIs.
but knowing that its the BD teaTwnty squad then we can definitely afford a Zia.

Night_wolf
June 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
Well, Zia should be given more time for sure. Though, he seems think that slog is the ultimate solution - is it really? He got two lives in the last match and was out cheaply in the previous two matches too. I thought, in international cricket you have to be a bit more smarter than that, no?

Zia looks like he has the brain functions of ash with out the talent of ash

but as Simon bhai said i think we can afford him for out T20 squad since we dont have that much alternatives..if zia did badly we could have let nazmul milon have a go, but zia did decently in this series, well luck fevered him

Jadukor
June 23, 2012, 11:15 AM
We need to be patient. Everyone needs a certain bit of time before they can mature as a cricketer. Remember Andrew Symonds?... he was a bits and pieces player until that WC innings against Pakistan. There was a time when even Tamim would go down the wicket ever so often.
Zia has limitations and his thinking might not have been smart...but that's why we have all these coaches working with the team. Lets see how he does in the Europe tour under seaming conditions.

frd
June 23, 2012, 11:25 AM
off course . but if we can afford rakibul and naeem in the same t20 team then we can certainly afford a zia in t20 team.there is always room for improvement .pybus was behind the rise of albie morkal .who knows same might happen in case of zia ?

Sovik
June 23, 2012, 11:28 AM
He seemed decent enough. He can hit the ball. Just needs to check his aggression. And also needs to be given enough matches to succeed or fail

kalpurush
June 23, 2012, 11:40 AM
off course . but if we can afford rakibul and naeem in the same t20 team then we can certainly afford a zia in t20 team.there is always room for improvement .pybus was behind the rise of albie morkal .who knows same might happen in case of zia ?

He seemed decent enough. He can hit the ball. Just needs to check his aggression. And also needs to be given enough matches to succeed or fail
Agree :up:

If a player is selected, he should be given enough time to prove himself. I am not against Zia, rather a well-wisher :)

Nadim
July 18, 2012, 12:59 PM
What a Debut!!!!:notworthy:

Ziaur Rahman 40* (17 balls, 0x4, 5x6)

zinatf
July 18, 2012, 01:04 PM
:notworthy::notworthy: WHAT A DEBUT! PLAYED LIKE GAYLE :D

Zia 40(17) with 5 sixes with SR 235.29! Respect!!!

M.H.Rubel
July 18, 2012, 01:05 PM
Zia was just awesome today.40 from 17 balls with five sixrs just awesome.

ialbd
July 18, 2012, 01:06 PM
highlights dekhar jonno ar wait kora jachhena....

but lets not call him 'chhokka Zia' or anything..

WorldCup11
July 18, 2012, 01:07 PM
Congrates Ziaur Rahman :)

simon
July 18, 2012, 01:09 PM
bangla'r Shunil Shetty ke lakho salam. :fire:
ebhabei chalaya jao bhai amar

al Furqaan
July 18, 2012, 01:09 PM
well done...we need him in our ODI side immediately...

crikss
July 18, 2012, 01:10 PM
Awesome stuff by Zia..carry on

Seraphen
July 18, 2012, 01:39 PM
Not that's the Zia I was talking about. <3

playmaker
July 18, 2012, 01:56 PM
marhaba! Our version of Pollard :)

Sohel
July 18, 2012, 02:17 PM
Baper Byata-shulobh performance. Keep up the himmot dude :up:

Equinox
July 18, 2012, 02:33 PM
Great performance! Although, overshadowed by Sunny in the end, Zia's brutal hitting took us half way towards the victory line. Knew he was one to be persisted with. And I'd like to think he's been working hard on his batting since the Zim series and that this innings isn't a fluke,

WarWolf
July 18, 2012, 02:36 PM
Good going so far.

His real test will be against the top sides in T20 WC.

shakibrulz
July 18, 2012, 02:39 PM
Even IF he fails from now on, the team needs such a player in the side, i.e. who's a power hitter, rather than consistent run getter. Consistency is secondary.

al Furqaan
July 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
Even IF he fails from now on, the team needs such a player in the side, i.e. who's a power hitter, rather than consistent run getter. Consistency is secondary.

Yeah such out and out hitters will fail 3 times out of 4, but that one time might make the difference between progressing to the next round/winning a cup or going home early.

BANFAN
July 18, 2012, 02:43 PM

Hope many other fans will change their opinion on Zia... So far he is even consistent.

Habib
July 18, 2012, 02:44 PM
Ziaur Rahman has shown today what he's capable of. He was our secret weapon that took the Irish by surprise.

Zeeshan
July 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
I think we should rename the airport to Zia International Airport.... see what i did thurr??

BANFAN
July 18, 2012, 03:11 PM
Bang On!

Looking good isn't that important for a lower order and a slogger... If he can serve the purpose that's ok. And didn't he serve the purpose today!! :-/

AsifTheManRahman
July 18, 2012, 03:12 PM
We'll see how he does in the long run, but he's definitely earned the right to more chances and a WC debut.

z777
July 18, 2012, 04:38 PM
Well done Zia!

deshimon
July 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
carry on boy.

Roni_uk
July 18, 2012, 05:36 PM
Shall we name him "Chokkha Zia"? ;)

wasi90lkv1
July 18, 2012, 06:20 PM
what a debut !

i will play him in ODI too.

Ajfar
July 18, 2012, 07:59 PM
what a debut !

Why? Because he hit a 40 against Ireland? Lets not get all crazy, he has to make his way into the ODI. Im sick of ek format e bhalo korlei arek format e khelte hobe.

wasi90lkv1
July 18, 2012, 08:22 PM
Why? Because he hit a 40 against Ireland? Lets not get all crazy, he has to make his way into the ODI. Im sick of ek format e bhalo korlei arek format e khelte hobe.

he has the balls to take risk and hit 5 sixes. that is why he should be in the ODI team.

Night_wolf
July 18, 2012, 09:13 PM
what a debut !

odi te zia er place nao unless mullah is willing to play in the top orders

Jadukor
July 18, 2012, 09:38 PM
Excellent performance for Zia. Simply couldn't have asked for more. Now we have another player who on his day could change the game for us.
Mushy needs to give him the ball as well to see what he can do under these conditions

playmaker
July 18, 2012, 10:02 PM
he has the balls to take risk and hit 5 sixes. that is why he should be in the ODI team.

I srsly doubt his ability play sensibly. ODI is a different ball game as a whole, sometimes your team will be in a situation where you need to consolidate and so far I dont think zia can take the singles. Once he can do that he can get a chance over there as well

Night_wolf
July 18, 2012, 10:52 PM
Excellent performance for Zia. Simply couldn't have asked for more. Now we have another player who on his day could change the game for us.
Mushy needs to give him the ball as well to see what he can do under these conditions

agree when the game was won mushy should have given the ball to him rather then abul and mash

aosaif
July 18, 2012, 11:48 PM
Are there any videos of Ziaur Rahman batting? Would love to see the bold strokeplay that I'm hearing about. Excited about this guy, hopefully some guidance will make him a fixture in this side.

bujhee kom
July 19, 2012, 12:12 AM
Ohh this is not a thread about the shaheed President Zia ur Rahman...I thought it should have been in the forget cricket section....

beshideshi
July 19, 2012, 12:17 AM
As Shakibrulz said, it is very handy to have a blaster in your team, and I think the argument extends to the ODI side as well. And remember, he is not just a slogger, he is good for 4-5 overs in the ODI games as well. So, instead of putting all the promising batsmen of Bangladesh at no.8, we should seriously consider him at no.8 in ODIs and give him a decent run.
A quickfire 30-40 can be the difference between a win, and a 'so close'

Antora
July 19, 2012, 04:06 AM
Didn't think he had the capability ( after continuous swing and miss in Zim tour) ... but he seems to know how to hit them sixes :-|

Well done. Hopefully, he keeps playing like this. :)

Tiger444
July 19, 2012, 09:50 AM
We needed a power hitter down the order and seemed to have finally found 1. In the shorter formats he's definitely useful.

M.H.Rubel
July 19, 2012, 10:31 AM
I have seen Zia Batting in few matches including BPL.He has some deficiency in shots.Still he is a power hitter we were looking for a long time.He have just came to international cricket.He will get lot of time to adjust himself for the national team.I hope he will do it and finish matches for us.Already he have proved that he is a must member in our T20 team.
Lot of person here thinking about his inclusion in ODI.In ODI its a bit tougher for him.But he will warm up the beanch no doubt.If he can prove his worth in ODI that will be a huge achievement for us.He is a finisher no doubt.

MSM B2C
July 19, 2012, 10:32 AM
^^^It's too early to judge^^^ He is playing well Just for the Last Match!

In Slow Pitch, He might struggle! Let's wait and see.

Keep Him in T20 Until properly Developed His Stroke Making in all sort of Pitches.

M.H.Rubel
July 19, 2012, 10:39 AM
^^^It's too early to judge^^^ He is playing well Just for the Last Match!

In Slow Pitch, He might struggle! Let's wait and see.

Keep Him in T20 Until properly Developed His Stroke Making in all sort of Pitches.

In fast wicket he is doing good.It is a good sign cause he have greater chance to do good in slow tracks and home condition.In slow tracks less foot movement is needed.

MSM B2C
July 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
In fast wicket he is doing good.It is a good sign cause he have greater chance to do good in slow tracks and home condition.In slow tracks less foot movement is needed.

that is True for players like: Gayle, Pollard, Afridi and etc!

Ziaur Rahman is the Opposite! I hope he will Improve!

So far His weakness has been Slow Pitch!

its also wrong to say he does well in fast wicket just because of that one Match!

SS
July 19, 2012, 01:44 PM
his slogging sometimes are scary and easy candidate to get out if he fails to connect properly..let's hope he plays them the same way he played last match

Sohel
July 19, 2012, 01:51 PM
G.Ah is a hit-or-miss player but I won't complain as long as he keeps clearing the ropes. That being said, I don't think his slogging would clear too many against quality bowlers likely to figure out his extremely limited repertoire quickly enough. I won't bet on him sustaining success at this level. Both Farhad Reza and Nazmul Hossain Milion are more creative, cleaner hitters of the long ball at their respective best, but like G.Ah, I won't bet on them either.

Shabbir Rahman Rumman is the genuine finisher we'd be looking at in the future.

Dilscoop
July 19, 2012, 01:55 PM
^ FInally! I'm here at the beginning of a new nick invention. I can keep track of it now...

Sohel
July 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
But I do love his Baper Byata-type intent. A sissy he ain't, that's for sure.

mac
July 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
In tomorrow's match he will surely be tested by some body line bouncers. Irish missed this trick in the last game and they kept bowling length deliveries to him.

kalpurush
July 19, 2012, 02:34 PM
In tomorrow's match he will surely be tested by some body line bouncers. Irish missed this trick in the last game and they kept bowling length deliveries to him.
I can see that coming too! And ZPybus also know that. Does Zia ready for4 it? I hope so.

simon
July 19, 2012, 04:08 PM
We r praising.him now that he played a very good inn but hope we.wont do the opposite if tmmrrw he phails.
Its very hard to click every time in this format as u dont get engh time to settle down specially the lower order like Zia who are expected to score at a 180+SR.

BANFAN
July 19, 2012, 04:13 PM
We r praising.him now that he played a very good inn but hope we.wont do the opposite if tmmrrw he phails.
Its very hard to click every time in this format as u dont get engh time to settle down specially the lower order like Zia who are expected to score at a 180+SR.

He has been playing reasonably well since Zim series. He can always fail tomorrow, that's a part of the game. If he can maintain his consistency ... Those aren't big issue.

Dilscoop
July 20, 2012, 12:49 AM
This guy his tall and huge. Those 40x17 were all power hits. We don't have one single power hitter in the team. Shabbir Rahman looks like just another ex "closer," now test specialist, mora Naeem.

I can see they are getting carried away with Zia and as usual bring him into test.

WarWolf
July 20, 2012, 02:10 PM
He has done it today again. Really happy to see him in the team.

Sohel
July 20, 2012, 02:28 PM
Another Baper Byata-shulobh cameo from him. Keep it :up: dude.

Gowza
July 20, 2012, 10:09 PM
seems to be finding his feet with the bat, being lower down the order. hope his bowling comes through to.

playmaker
July 20, 2012, 10:26 PM
he did help with his mini cameo. Id like to see him batting for more than 20 balls.

Rifat
July 20, 2012, 11:41 PM
he did help with his mini cameo. Id like to see him batting for more than 20 balls.

I would keep him where he is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Alhamdulillah! our batting lineup seems to have found a new-found stability. Today remember he didn't bat until the end. We really do not want to ruin such a fine finisher. a power hitter like him is needed late down the order, at best I don't think he should bat in top 5, but that's just my opinion.

BengaliPagol
July 21, 2012, 12:27 AM
if only it was broadcasted then i would be able to see if Ziaur is actually middling the ball or if he is slogging blindly. Then i could actually make a judgement.

Zeeshan
September 16, 2012, 02:20 PM
BCB MEDIA RELEASE

‘I back my natural game’: Ziaur Rahman

Sunday, 16 September 2012

COLOMBO – Ziaur Rahman has come in with a reputation at the ICC WT20. He is expected up the ante as far as Bangladesh’s middle overs batting is concerned and the big-hitting man from Khulna is relishing the challenge:

His role in the Bangladesh team
As far as I am concerned my job is to play according to the state of the game and not going all out from the word go. Ofcourse if the situation demands I would look for ways to hit the ball for boundaries but sensible batting is always the key. You don’t need to smack every ball for a four or a six. An over boundary and few singles still gives you 10/11 runs in an over. Maybe because my strokes have power that’s why people think I will start blasting sixes from the very beginning but that’s not always the case. For example we lost three wickets for five runs in Saturday’s practice game at one stage and I needed to be patient at that time. Another day we may need quick runs and I will play my natural game.

His memories of the 2007 World T20 and the fact that he has a settled position in the Bangladesh middle order now
In 2007 I was more of a pace bowler who could use the long handle. I was selected as the third option seamer probably but it was tough to get into the side with Masrafe (Mortaza), (Syed) Rasel and Farhad Reza playing. Now I see myself more as a batsman and I have been given another opportunity. I am really looking forward to this tournament as we have done quite well in the lead up to the WT20 and have played a lot of Twenty20 matches.

His transformation
My fast bowling ambitions had to be sacrificed due to injuries but I was given a new lease of life at my Dhaka Premier Division club this season by coach Khaled Mahmud. He asked me to open the batting and I did that throughout the season and was successful. I played my natural game and that is what has brought me here. It takes a lot of courage and conviction to ask someone who has not done it before to open the batting in Bangladesh’s main competition. I am indebted to the coach for having that faith in me.

Whether he feels the pressure of international cricket
Not really. I have never been in awe of my surroundings. It’s a round ball for everyone and every batsman feels the same kind of pressure for the first couple of deliveries. I enjoy the role I have and my natural style is something I back hundred percent. If I get success It will be through my own style.

The T20 specialist’s tag
Well, I don’t look at it like that. I am a regular for the Khulna Division team in the first class competition. I also play one day games as an opener. I would prefer to be considered as a batsman who loves playing all versions of the game with a positive intent.

rinathq
September 16, 2012, 02:29 PM
BCB MEDIA RELEASE

‘I back my natural game’: Ziaur Rahman

Sunday, 16 September 2012

COLOMBO – Ziaur Rahman has come in with a reputation at the ICC WT20. He is expected up the ante as far as Bangladesh’s middle overs batting is concerned and the big-hitting man from Khulna is relishing the challenge:

His role in the Bangladesh team
As far as I am concerned my job is to play according to the state of the game and not going all out from the word go. Ofcourse if the situation demands I would look for ways to hit the ball for boundaries but sensible batting is always the key. You don’t need to smack every ball for a four or a six. An over boundary and few singles still gives you 10/11 runs in an over. Maybe because my strokes have power that’s why people think I will start blasting sixes from the very beginning but that’s not always the case. For example we lost three wickets for five runs in Saturday’s practice game at one stage and I needed to be patient at that time. Another day we may need quick runs and I will play my natural game.

His memories of the 2007 World T20 and the fact that he has a settled position in the Bangladesh middle order now
In 2007 I was more of a pace bowler who could use the long handle. I was selected as the third option seamer probably but it was tough to get into the side with Masrafe (Mortaza), (Syed) Rasel and Farhad Reza playing. Now I see myself more as a batsman and I have been given another opportunity. I am really looking forward to this tournament as we have done quite well in the lead up to the WT20 and have played a lot of Twenty20 matches.

His transformation
My fast bowling ambitions had to be sacrificed due to injuries but I was given a new lease of life at my Dhaka Premier Division club this season by coach Khaled Mahmud. He asked me to open the batting and I did that throughout the season and was successful. I played my natural game and that is what has brought me here. It takes a lot of courage and conviction to ask someone who has not done it before to open the batting in Bangladesh’s main competition. I am indebted to the coach for having that faith in me.

Whether he feels the pressure of international cricket
Not really. I have never been in awe of my surroundings. It’s a round ball for everyone and every batsman feels the same kind of pressure for the first couple of deliveries. I enjoy the role I have and my natural style is something I back hundred percent. If I get success It will be through my own style.

The T20 specialist’s tag
Well, I don’t look at it like that. I am a regular for the Khulna Division team in the first class competition. I also play one day games as an opener. I would prefer to be considered as a batsman who loves playing all versions of the game with a positive intent.

:up::up::up:

Dilscoop
September 16, 2012, 03:47 PM
Here we go with the "natural game" again...

off topic:

I don't like it when people bold or use red color on parts of the articles to show "the important part" ... that is YOUR opinion. Stop doing that people. Most important part about that article was Khaled Mahmud asking Zia to open the batting and I almost missed trying to read the poster's bolded part.

/Rant

rinathq
September 16, 2012, 03:50 PM
Here we go with the "natural game" again...

off topic:

I don't like it when people bold or use red color on parts of the articles to show "the important part" ... that is YOUR opinion. Stop doing that people. Most important part about that article was Khaled Mahmud asking Zia to open the batting and I almost missed trying to read the poster's bolded part.

/Rant

I never said it was the most important part, I showed thumbs up to the bold part meaning I liked that part of the article.

Zeeshan
September 16, 2012, 06:50 PM
shetai...pore open korte dile hajar kotha na shunte hoy jeno bapu...eishob "koi ami to lower order batsman...konodin kokhono open kori na jibone...out hoye jodi jai" eishob kotha jan na shunte hoy.... beton pau..masher sheshe jodi dui charta run-i na korla tahole ei natural gem diye amar kono laab nai

Tiger444
September 16, 2012, 07:11 PM
I feel that's been his problem from what I've seen of Zia. He tries to hit everything for a 4 and a 6. Kieron Pollard was actually the same way for a while until he realized that he has plenty of time and doesn't need to hit every single ball. Now we see that Pollard is a lot more consistent and dangerous. Zia, in my opinion, should get used to how the pitch is before he starts to play his shots because he can really hit big. If he does that, he can be very handy for us in both T20's and ODIs.

M.H.Rubel
September 16, 2012, 10:43 PM
Nice little mature interview from Zia. I liked the maturity and confidence there. These days those who are coming to the team in mature stage they seems like mature as human aswell. Most of the time our players talk imature. So our domestic products like Sunny, Zia, Zahirul all have some maturity.

tanvir_nus
September 16, 2012, 10:58 PM
He just one innings of a lifetime away from super stardom and getting confidence in his ability like Tamim or Shakib, this is the hitter we have been looking for. He has given so much strength to our lower order, but I wish he continues his bowling and becomes a genuine allrounder. Injuries happen but with proper care and planning he should recover completely and be able to bowl fast as he used to. Can't wait to see him live in the World Cup.

jeesh
September 16, 2012, 11:27 PM
Living abroad, i dont get the chance to see the Tigers from the ground that often. But last Saturday i was fortunate enough to watch Bangladesh Zimbabwe up close. In fact i was seated in a place where i could hear the conversation of the players. With Bangladesh relatively comfortably placed Zia came out fully padded and started doing shadow practice around the players tent. That was when Mushfiq and Ashraful were batting. When Nasir got out Zia walked in full of confidence, fully prepared. He walked in knowing he ll get the job done-he meant business. Indeed he did. He didnt play careless shots, he was responsible. At the same time he had a go at the Zimbabwean bowlers without any fear. Was very impressed. He really has transformed. If he can improve his batting further he might even get into our ODI team. We really need a big hitting number 7 like him

tanvir_nus
September 16, 2012, 11:35 PM
Jeeshan bhai, will you be going to watch Bd vs Nz match?

Dilscoop
September 17, 2012, 12:37 AM
I feel that's been his problem from what I've seen of Zia. He tries to hit everything for a 4 and a 6. Kieron Pollard was actually the same way for a while until he realized that he has plenty of time and doesn't need to hit every single ball. Now we see that Pollard is a lot more consistent and dangerous. Zia, in my opinion, should get used to how the pitch is before he starts to play his shots because he can really hit big. If he does that, he can be very handy for us in both T20's and ODIs.

Not everyone has to settle down and pick and choose. We have enough players in the team who can/should do that. We need a PURE, hard hitting SLOGGER in T20 and lower order. And we finally got one. Let him hit.

oh and Kieron Pollard still plays the same way.

jeesh
September 17, 2012, 02:43 AM
Jeeshan bhai, will you be going to watch Bd vs Nz match?
Looks unlikely bro. Its quite a distance from Colombo. Its so easy watching cricket in BD, either Dhaka or Ctg. Here were are talking about great distances-Pallekele, Hambantota along huge distances.

BANFAN
September 17, 2012, 04:38 AM
Looks unlikely bro. Its quite a distance from Colombo. Its so easy watching cricket in BD, either Dhaka or Ctg. Here were are talking about great distances-Pallekele, Hambantota along huge distances.

Colombo-Kandy should be like Dhaka-Ctg...4/5 hours by road, isn't it..??

jeesh
September 17, 2012, 04:59 AM
Less. Its abt 120 km. Takes abt 4 hours by road 3 by train. Hambantota is quite a distance. Southern point of the country

simon
September 17, 2012, 05:02 AM
Still happy with ZeeAh!
almost took us home but
he was abandoned by Ryad,Mash & some stupidity from Kanchon .

Rifat H
September 17, 2012, 06:29 AM
Well played Zia . Sunny tana 4 ta ball nosto na korle ajkeo match ta jitato !!

BANFAN
December 3, 2012, 07:50 AM
Good to see Zia replacing Abul Hasan for the third ODI....

Don't know if he can make up for the bowling of Abul....

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=42094

Nadim
December 3, 2012, 08:18 AM
^ he is just a back up. so Rubel/Sjafiul will get a chance ahead of him.

BANFAN
December 3, 2012, 08:23 AM
^ he is just a back up. so Rubel/Sjafiul will get a chance ahead of him.

But the language of the press release hints probably that Zia is playing....

Would love to see Rubel getting in though.....:)

MyRoom
December 3, 2012, 08:24 AM
Zia is a T20 specialist and should just stick to that format. I'd rather see Rubel/Nazmul in third ODI than Abul.

MohammedC
December 3, 2012, 08:25 AM
They have to play Rubel.

Nadim
December 3, 2012, 08:26 AM
But the language of the press release hints probably that Zia is playing....

Would love to see Rubel getting in though.....:)

Zia is a batsman...HE DOES NOT BOWL EVEN IN NCL THAT MUCH due to injury(he himself said he kind of gave up with bowling in a interview with PA)...so if he have to play, then as a batsman only, who may get chance to bowl 2/3 overs if needed. i don't see him get in there as a batsman as yet. but good back up :)

shakibrulz
December 3, 2012, 12:07 PM
He can still do better than Abul IMO - though would prefer Rubel myself. Might get him in for Naeem, but that sounds unnecessary at the moment.

oronnya
December 3, 2012, 12:14 PM
I would like to see him replacing Riyad and want Rubel for the bowling.. Riyad is really not ideal for lower order batsman in ODI..

BANFAN
December 3, 2012, 12:23 PM
They have to play Rubel.

Why do you think they have to??

Abul only bowled 1 over in last match and we knocked out WI in 31 overs.....:) so the selectors might as well get Zia in for some explosive batting and sharing 2/3 overs with Naeem...?? I mean that's a possibility, given our prolonged batting disorders...:) although I would prefer strengthening bowling than batting at this moment...

Saifulsohel
December 3, 2012, 12:28 PM
I would like to see him replacing Riyad and want Rubel for the bowling.. Riyad is really not ideal for lower order batsman in ODI..

then who'll bowl riyad's ovr?

BANFAN
December 3, 2012, 12:33 PM

Or Sunny, since WI struggle against spin and we are even opening with spin ...

Tiger444
December 3, 2012, 12:39 PM

Zia could have the mindset of a lower order batsman and better than Riyad's but I don't have the confidence in him to deliver the way I do with Riyad even if it's at #7. Once we get a genuine power hitting allrounder, than I'd open to replace Riyad but until then RIyad stays in my book.

oronnya
December 3, 2012, 12:45 PM
Or Sunny, since WI struggle against spin and we are even opening with spin ...

No we already have too many spinners. Gazi and Raj's 20 over and then Riyad, Nasir, Naeem can bowl for 10 to 15 overs.. Now you definitely need your best pacers to bowl with the new ball in tandem for few overs. As we know Mirpur pitch never assists the spinner as much as they do for the pacers. That's why we went with 3 pacers in Asia Cup and reaped the benefit somewhat. But as WI plays really well against pace it won't be a good idea to give them too many overs of fast bowling to play. 10 or 15 overs of fast bowling is enough IMO. So we need our 2 best pacers for Mirpur.

Also don't expect them to struggle the same way against the spinners in the next match. They must be practicing hard to deal with spinners. So if we have too many spinners then that might just be too monotonous and they might start to feel comfortable against spin.

oronnya
December 3, 2012, 01:03 PM
Zia could have the mindset of a lower order batsman and better than Riyad's but I don't have the confidence in him to deliver the way I do with Riyad even if it's at #7. Once we get a genuine power hitting allrounder, than I'd open to replace Riyad but until then RIyad stays in my book.

In that case Riyad should come up the order like in # 3 or #4 because Riyad is simply not ideal to come in a situation where we are chasing huge total and you need runs at a quicker rate. Just think aboout the Asia Cup final where we lost only by 2 runs and Riyad couldn't even manage to get a boundary for few overs. I don't blame Riyad for that as he is a kind of a batsman who prefers to take the safer approach rather than going after the bowling.

I also think Naeem shouldn't play in ODI and definitely shouldn't come after Anamul as both of them plays slow and has a tendency to leave even the good balls amd gets bogged down.

Fazal
December 3, 2012, 01:27 PM
Tora je jai bohis bhai, amar Ziaur Rahman chai.

Shot gulo to shot noi, ekdom Bullet.

SS
December 3, 2012, 01:28 PM
Tora je jai bohis bhai, amar Ziaur Rahman chai.

Shot gulo to shot noi, ekdom Bullet.

Cheleta ta chele noi, ekdom Patha

Fazal
December 3, 2012, 01:38 PM
Cheleta ta chele noi, ekdom Patha

Yes ... Pakistan and Indian teams have some Pathans, and we need some Pathas.

deshimon
December 3, 2012, 01:48 PM
Zia should be selected from first ODI. He deserves it ahead of Abul. At last he is in the squad but not sure he will be picked for 3rd ODI in the XI.

Tiger Manc
December 3, 2012, 06:51 PM
His bowling isn't that good, so he would mak the team as a batsman rather than an allrounder.

Rifat
December 3, 2012, 07:35 PM
Yes ... Pakistan and Indian teams have some Pathans, and we need some Pathas.

hahahaha, mamu apni pareno ;)

Max100
December 3, 2012, 07:39 PM
Zia might get picked, in his inclusion we might not get benefit from his bowling but his batting is plus. Lets see he will bowl 4 overs max, we have spinners to complete quota.

I wish alauddin babu is selected ahead of him

Most probably rubel or shafiul will get chance before zia

Gowza
December 3, 2012, 08:32 PM
I get that Ziaur can slog but really I think we'll find that in time he will get found out and his bowling is basically useless at international level atm, he needs to work hard to improve his game, there is no reason why guys like alauddin or shuvagata or shabbir or Marshall can't play the role that Ziaur does when he's in the XI. Actually a specialist bat could do it since he doesn't bowl.

Maple1900
December 3, 2012, 08:39 PM
Khaleda Zia said if they win they will make Zia our captain and its her dream.😃

Jadukor
December 3, 2012, 08:54 PM
I like Zia as a lower order option and he has done well in whatever limited opportunities he got. Having said that i also bilieve WI would prefer 10 overs of medium pace than off spin at this point. So if i was captain i would continue with Naeem and Ryad as the two all rounders.

Gowza
December 3, 2012, 08:59 PM
I like Zia as a lower order option and he has done well in whatever limited opportunities he got. Having said that i also bilieve WI would prefer 10 overs of medium pace than off spin at this point. So if i was captain i would continue with Naeem and Ryad as the two all rounders.

Or play shuvagata, Marshall or shabbir, all are more natural boundary hitters than both naeem and riyad and they all bowl some spin to, shuvagata gets a couple of wickets each NCL match and Marshall got some in the warm-up.

Zia is too much of a slogger #7 should have decent batting ability but I just don't see it in zia, mash can play zia's role as lower order bat very well, abul also could do it imo.

Jadukor
December 4, 2012, 02:32 AM
Well we have only seen him in T-20 where he sort of had to slog. His NCL stats aren't great but we are not really looking for a genuine batsman at that slot but a guy who could come in with five six overs to go in the match and whack 3-4 sixes. In the recent practice game against BD national team he played a good 50+ innings. In the T-20 format he has a 25 average with a strike rate of nearly 150... I think he can really compliment Mashrafi as the second powerhitter lower down the order and could be very useful for that late order hitting that we never seem to succeed in.

Gowza
December 4, 2012, 03:22 AM
anyone who has seen zia bat should know that for every 6 he hits he probably misses 3+ balls. hitting 6s is nice an all but he misses many which also could be scored off. he needs to develop his game to a point where he can take advantage of any ball and can knock the ball around. it's criminal to have so many dot balls in the last few overs. against quality bowlers he might get a couple of good shots in but will be taken out unless he improves.

anyone his batting isn't really the issue imo. if you're going to bat at #7 or lower you need to be a strong contributor with the ball. zia's batting would be fine, in actual fact it would be a great bonus if he was a quality bowler adding good value to the bowling unit. but since he rarely bowls and rarely contributes in anyway let alone a significant one with the ball, then his batting becomes the main reason for his selection and i'm sorry but i think if someone is going to be selected as the quicker scorer down the order and he isn't being utilised as a bowler then they need to be a batsman who can play pretty well in lots of different situations rather than just someone who slogs. because basically zia is playing as a specialist batsman and there is no way we can consider him to be specialist batsman quality, he needs to have a good array of shots, be able to take singles as well so that he can be pushed up the order if wanted.

national team positions should be more valuable than that, only players who offer some versatility and quality should gets spots otherwise the selection is being wasted imo. imagine if zia has to come in with 15 overs to go? which could easily happen if he's batting at #7, i'm sure we would be much better off with a specialist batsman or an allrounder with greater capabilities, we'd probably score more runs overall.

if he learns to hit 1s and 2s and not waste so many balls then he could be really good, but he's not there yet.

mac
December 4, 2012, 03:28 AM
I think we should go with 3 pacers (Mash, Rubel, Zia) and 3 spinners (Razzaq, Gazi, Mullah). What if we bowl 2nd and the dew and the heavy outfield make it difficult for our spinners? Too much spin might just back fire.

Jadukor
December 4, 2012, 03:42 AM
I think we should go with 3 pacers (Mash, Rubel, Zia) and 3 spinners (Razzaq, Gazi, Mullah). What if we bowl 2nd and the dew and the heavy outfield make it difficult for our spinners? Too much spin might just back fire.

then who do you propose we leave out? Naeem? That would weaken the batting.

Jadukor
December 4, 2012, 03:49 AM
anyone his batting isn't really the issue imo. if you're going to bat at #7 or lower you need to be a strong contributor with the ball. zia's batting would be fine, in actual fact it would be a great bonus if he was a quality bowler adding good value to the bowling unit. but since he rarely bowls and rarely contributes in anyway let alone a significant one with the ball, then his batting becomes the main reason for his selection and i'm sorry but i think if someone is going to be selected as the quicker scorer down the order and he isn't being utilised as a bowler then they need to be a batsman who can play pretty well in lots of different situations rather than just someone who slogs. because basically zia is playing as a specialist batsman and there is no way we can consider him to be specialist batsman quality, he needs to have a good array of shots, be able to take singles as well so that he can be pushed up the order if wanted.

Just because Mushfiq hasn't used Zia doesn't make him a bad bowler! The guy took 144 wkts from 55 FC games at an average of 25 with 5 five wkt hauls. In comparison Mahmudullah averages 33 per wkt on pitches that suit him more than Zia
What i am saying is that until we see him bowl consistently we won't know if he is useful or not. We already have a spin bowling all rounder in Shakib and to an extent Naeem, Nasir so what we are missing is a pace bowling all rounder. Even though Zia will clearly not be the next Kallis... if developed he could do the job Klusner, Darren Sammy, Tom Moody did/does for other teams

Gowza
December 4, 2012, 03:58 AM
mushy not bowling him is more of a reason to select a specialist batsman, if zia is bowling a lot of overs then his batting becomes a bonus but where is batting currently is he needs to be considered as a bowling allrounder, he can't be a batting allrounder his batting just isn't up to it. i agree that mushy not bowling him doesn't mean he's a useless bowler although there must be a reason why mushy isn't bowling him and if he was good or better than others then surely he'd be used more. looking at his FC stats says he is decent, looking at his t20 stats says he's not and looking at his list A stats says he's a decent/average bowler.

but where his batting is atm he needs to bat at #8 or lower imo and to be batting that low means you need to be more utilised as a bowler otherwise you're giving up a bowling spot for someone who slogs and doesn't really bowl.

Jadukor
December 4, 2012, 04:17 AM
Well as it stands... his inclusion is unlikely ahead of Rubel so we can have this conversation when he does get picked i guess

BANFAN
December 4, 2012, 05:03 AM
anyone who has seen zia bat should know that for every 6 he hits he probably misses 3+ balls. hitting 6s is nice an all but he misses many ......

I think you are being unfair..... He only played a couple of T 20 matches and that was his debut. And he didn't look that ugly ..... ...we need big hitting at the end...so I won't mind him getting a chance. Even though he may not look as good with his shots, but he is effective.

Fazal
December 4, 2012, 06:03 AM
In the warmup match against national team he didn't scored too many 4s and 6s, but still scored 50+ with SR above 100.

So for at least for one game he proved generalized concept wrong .... That " he cannot hit 1s and 2s... After hitting 6, misses three ball ( dot ball)"

SS
December 4, 2012, 10:21 AM
So Ziaur replacing Abul...Did we see him bowl in recent Intl matches?

MyRoom
December 4, 2012, 10:55 AM
I hope Bangladesh win the toss for once in this series so we can bowl first. As long as the score to chase is below 270 then we should be able to manage it. But if we bat first then we have to rack up a score well over 300, something we hardly ever manage to do.

dash
December 4, 2012, 11:11 AM
I hope Bangladesh win the toss for once in this series so we can bowl first. As long as the score to chase is below 270 then we should be able to manage it. But if we bat first then we have to rack up a score well over 300, something we hardly ever manage to do.

havent you watched the first game?

BANFAN
December 10, 2012, 08:24 AM
Had been crying for him in ODIs....people complained of his bowling...we're just wrong in their assumptions... He shows good control and variation...and his batting could have been useful down the order. Instead we wasted Riyad at 7 and a walking wicket of Naeem at the top....

Jadukor
December 10, 2012, 08:26 AM
looking at his t20 stats says he's not and looking at his list A stats says he's a decent/average bowler.

but where his batting is atm he needs to bat at #8 or lower imo and to be batting that low means you need to be more utilised as a bowler otherwise you're giving up a bowling spot for someone who slogs and doesn't really bowl.
I think Zia proved his case today

shakibrulz
December 10, 2012, 10:02 AM
Bowled well it seems then? If he can bowl,then probably he should play in ODIs too IMO.

BANFAN
December 10, 2012, 10:32 AM
Just because Mushfiq hasn't used Zia doesn't make him a bad bowler! The guy took 144 wkts from 55 FC games at an average of 25 with 5 five wkt hauls. In comparison Mahmudullah averages 33 per wkt on pitches that suit him more than Zia
What i am saying is that until we see him bowl consistently we won't know if he is useful or not. We already have a spin bowling all rounder in Shakib and to an extent Naeem, Nasir so what we are missing is a pace bowling all rounder. Even though Zia will clearly not be the next Kallis... if developed he could do the job Klusner, Darren Sammy, Tom Moody did/does for other teams

:up: you are spot on here....would love to see him in the ODIs....

Habib
December 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
Left unused I guess.

deshimon
December 10, 2012, 10:41 AM
Now IMO number #7 place should be given to him and Ryad, today showed he can bat at number #3. Zia showed his ability to bowl in shorter version and he can bat as well.

Sohel
December 10, 2012, 10:42 AM
Good and effective military mediums today :up:

Tigers_eye
December 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
aj kay Zia ja batting korsey na....

MyRoom
December 10, 2012, 11:23 AM
Zia is definitely part of our ODI plans so we can use him as our third seamer if we have to.

Fazal
December 10, 2012, 03:40 PM
Bolsilam na ... !!!!!

yes Zia's bowlinge speed nai, kintu he can be effective in ODI in certain wickets. However batting is where he will make the difference...you need a punch @ #7 and Zia can prvide that.

If I am the selector I would somehow give Zia few tries... he has the potential to win some games for you.

mali007
December 10, 2012, 04:14 PM
Had been crying for him in ODIs....people complained of his bowling...we're just wrong in their assumptions... He shows good control and variation...and his batting could have been useful down the order. Instead we wasted Riyad at 7 and a walking wicket of Naeem at the top....

Exactly , I was also literally begging for him in ODIs !! He is the only Macho man other than Tamim who can rock the stand with sixes.

MyRoom
December 10, 2012, 05:11 PM
This is our ideal ODI line-up:

01.Tamim
02.Anamul
03.Shakib
04.Mahmudullah
05.Nasir
06.Rahim
07.Rahman/Mominul
08.Gazi
09.Mortaza/Abul
10.Razzak
11.Nazmul/Shafiul/Rubel

Gowza
December 10, 2012, 06:36 PM
i still maintain if he isn't utilised much as a bowler we are better off picking a more specialist batsman than ziaur. didn't see the match but must have bowled well to get his figures, but until this match he was pretty much used as a specialist batsman and i still don't think he's good enough to get that qualification.

if he's used as an allrounder then there is a case to have him in the team.

MohammedC
December 10, 2012, 06:41 PM
i still maintain if he isn't utilised much as a bowler we are better off picking a more specialist batsman than ziaur. didn't see the match but must have bowled well to get his figures, but until this match he was pretty much used as a specialist batsman and i still don't think he's good enough to get that qualification.

if he's used as an allrounder then there is a case to have him in the team.

Mushy dropped Marlon twice of Zia's bowling.

Gowza
December 10, 2012, 07:00 PM
Mushy dropped Marlon twice of Zia's bowling.

i'm not saying he's a bad bowler, i'm saying if they're never going to bowl him or rarely bowl him we would get more value out of his spot if it was given to a specialist batsman who can bowl a bit.

Maple1900
December 10, 2012, 07:44 PM
Bolsilam na ... !!!!!

yes Zia's bowlinge speed nai, kintu he can be effective in ODI in certain wickets. However batting is where he will make the difference...you need a punch @ #7 and Zia can prvide that.

If I am the selector I would somehow give Zia few tries... he has the potential to win some games for you.

ki bolen speed nai, he can bowl in decent pace(80m),

tanvir_nus
December 10, 2012, 08:01 PM
Always knew he had it in him. He needs to bowl a lot more and try to increase his pace a bit. He can seriously become one of the better seaming all rounders our team needs so badly in the subcontinent.

Dilscoop
December 10, 2012, 08:11 PM
Did he actually bowl well or was he a Gayle?

Ajfar
December 10, 2012, 08:21 PM

I didn't see the game, but I followed cricinfo commentary. And from what I can tell he did a pretty good job. He was bowling against Samuels/bravo, so I'm sure if he was delivering balls that were asking to be hit samuels/bravo would have taken care of it. Stupid Mushy dropped Samuels twice off of Zia's bowling. If we got rid of Samuels it could have been a completely different story.

BANFAN
December 11, 2012, 01:26 AM

He bowled intelligently and also managed to move the ball off the pitch. Mushy missed two edges. ... I think he was pretty good.

mali007
December 11, 2012, 01:40 AM
He bowled Pollard with a magnificient delivery !! He was bowling like a very matured bowler , how come the current coach being a bowling coach could not figure out his talent !!!

shakibrulz
December 11, 2012, 01:46 AM
Well shouldn't have done badly going by cricinfo commentary. Anyways does seem like a great lower order bat if you can sneak him in when Shak is back:
Tamim
Anamul
Mahmudullah
Shakib
Mushy
Nasir
Zia
Gazi
Mashrafe/Shafiul
Razzak

Amazing batting depth.

Rifat
December 11, 2012, 02:12 AM
Go G.I.JOE go.

G.I.Joe it is.

Sohel
December 11, 2012, 02:27 AM
So this is how Ziaur Rahman "Jony" becomes the latest "all rounder" in a long line of "hiru-2-jiru" players.

His military mediums, not at all a rocket science BTW, were very effective in one T20I match as are his courageous but nonetheless blind slogs when he connects 2 out of 10 times. But how long before he's figured out by international batsmen and bowlers? Ask Mushfiq Babu and the significantly more capable Farhad Reza about their rise and fall and you'll know why.

Zia is a temporary solution at best as long as he remains a mystery. Potentially better seamers with genuine batting ability will replace him as soon as they learn to bowl more accurately without compromising better pace and swing, and fight through being rattled as they will surely be on many occasions, and come back strong. Both Raju and Babu and even Reza, "Dolar", Robin and Tapash fit that bill.

Koushik and even Shuhash can do what Zia can better and with a higher success rate. My two cents.

WarWolf
December 11, 2012, 04:29 AM
To me, Zia is a very good find for ODI and T20. This kinda players are more than handy for limited overs matches. They can change the course of the match quickly. Some times he will succeed and some times fail. We gotta bear this.

Jadukor
December 11, 2012, 04:34 AM
So this is how Ziaur Rahman "Jony" becomes the latest "all rounder" in a long line of "hiru-2-jiru" candidates.

Ask Mushfiq Babu and the significantly more capable Farhad Reza about their rise and fall and you'll know why.

Being compared to Jacques Reza in itself is an achievement for Zia

BANFAN
December 12, 2012, 10:45 AM
I disagree with all those who think Zia is like Feza and Mushfiq babu....or his batting with Shuhash or koushik..... That's a very preconceived notion .... He has already performed with bat and ball when he got chance.

I don't like to say that he will be a perfect all rounder, but he is definitely the best choice for #7 /#6 in ODIs and T20. And I don't think it's a short term solution.

If he is given the opportunities, I'm sure he will do much better than Feza type guys...Feza even doesn't come into any comparison with him.

Time will prove his utility...

simon
December 12, 2012, 10:56 AM
I think Zia can be a good inclusion in our ODI squad in place of Mominul.
I wasn't particularly impressed with Momin,he is very young ,so still have time to work on and come back later.

HereWeGo
December 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
I like what I see of Momin, specially his ability to play short pitch bowling (rare amongst bangladeshi batsman), but I would prefer Zia in the 11 over Momin anyday..

M.H.Rubel
December 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
It is really very tough to say anything about future of Zia. Technically he is not a sound batsman. Mainly he relies on timing. As his technique is poor he will have to fight a lot to survive. But one thing can survive him, that is his bowling. His F C bowling career is good. If he can deliver good bowling(5/6 overs per match) he will be able to survive in international cricket. But only as a batsman its tough for him as his batting technique is deeply flawed.

Fazal
December 12, 2012, 02:51 PM
At this level if he plays T20 and #7 in ODI I care less about his batting technique as long as he is producing. The same is tue with his bowling... as long as he is gettiing wicket and holing the RR in T20 and ODI, I care less about his speed.

He provides a specialized skill that we are missing in our T20 and ODI team. that's why I would like him to give him a chance.

Now in future, we may have better solution and then Zia will be replaced by him. but nobody should problem with that. But as long as we have a need and Zia has the potential to fill up the gap, then there is no excuse to not to try him.

In the process of trying, if he fail repeatedly in the process, then at some point drop him.

Tiger444
December 12, 2012, 08:46 PM
So this is how Ziaur Rahman "Jony" becomes the latest "all rounder" in a long line of "hiru-2-jiru" players.

His military mediums, not at all a rocket science BTW, were very effective in one T20I match as are his courageous but nonetheless blind slogs when he connects 2 out of 10 times. But how long before he's figured out by international batsmen and bowlers? Ask Mushfiq Babu and the significantly more capable Farhad Reza about their rise and fall and you'll know why.

Zia is a temporary solution at best as long as he remains a mystery. Potentially better seamers with genuine batting ability will replace him as soon as they learn to bowl more accurately without compromising better pace and swing, and fight through being rattled as they will surely be on many occasions, and come back strong. Both Raju and Babu and even Reza, "Dolar", Robin and Tapash fit that bill.

Koushik and even Shuhash can do what Zia can better and with a higher success rate. My two cents.

I feel the same way, to be honest. We should give Babu a chance in this upcoming A team tour and see what he's got.

tanvir_nus
December 12, 2012, 09:07 PM
I personally love seaming all rounders. They have great value everywhere in the world except Bangladesh and their value comes from the fact that their bowling is useful in most of the conditions around the world. Look at the best cricketers from the past, they were all seaming allrounders. Bangladesh needs one badly. A genuine pace bowler who bats 3/4 down. Zia may not be the answer yet. But he is probably the best we have got. Hence, if I was a selector I will spur him on, encourage him greatly.

al-Sagar
December 15, 2012, 02:34 AM
zia bowled a great spell that day. it was the lentgh mcgrath and pollock used to bowl, he had almost a similar height to deliver from too.

and i actually never saw him bowling that consistently.

M.H.Rubel
December 15, 2012, 01:26 PM
zia bowled a great spell that day. it was the lentgh mcgrath and pollock used to bowl, he had almost a similar height to deliver from too.

and i actually never saw him bowling that consistently.

Yes in last T20 he bowled really well. His bowling figure was also good. 4-0-16-1

Fazal
December 19, 2012, 11:39 AM
I would like to see Zia in ODI. Not one chance, full ODI series.

Taar shot guli ke sur danto... shot to na zeno aguner gola... rokto mathye cole acshe.

shakibrulz
December 27, 2012, 05:31 AM
Must in ODIs. 123 in 106 balls with 11 sixes is just :ohno:

Excellent slogger.

deshimon
December 27, 2012, 05:35 AM
Everyone thinks Zia is a player of shorter version but it is the time to consider him all formats of cricket. He plays today a heroic innings.

Rabz
December 27, 2012, 06:18 AM
I think Zia vented his frustration of not being able to bat during the T20 against WI :D

reyme
December 27, 2012, 06:39 AM
What a Player! SimPly ferocious!
Can't wait to see more of his batting!!

AbuDarda
December 27, 2012, 07:31 AM
Prothom alo online says its a world record for longer version,really???

deshimon
December 27, 2012, 07:53 AM

If the tournament can achieve first class status, it will be a world record.

AbuDarda
December 27, 2012, 08:05 AM
If the tournament can achieve first class status, it will be a world record.

BCB declared it as a first class,so its first class!

Tintin
December 27, 2012, 08:08 AM

16 sixes is the record - http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=1636938&postcount=34

MyRoom
December 27, 2012, 08:34 AM
Yeah I agree he should also be part of our ODI plans but what we should do is 'rotate' our players so we give everyone a chance and they don't pick up injuries especially with our fast bowlers.

Max100
December 27, 2012, 08:37 AM

U are so obsessed with using players nick name or in bengali daak naam.

MarufH
December 27, 2012, 10:05 AM
152 not out. Way to go!

BANFAN
December 27, 2012, 10:15 AM
Must in ODIs. 123 in 106 balls with 11 sixes is just :ohno:

Excellent slogger.

You don't make a century by slogging....If that's so...then TI is a little better slogger by performance... Hope he can do as good slogging as TI in future...that will make this guy a much more valuable player, with his bowling ability in LOIs....

simon
December 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
khamakhai ki ar okey Bangla'r Hulk boli? :big_hug:
And Tamim & Ryad thought if they can't hit no one can. :head:

Rifat
December 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
Well done G.I. Joe :big_hug: , now transform this innings into an international one ;)

One World
December 27, 2012, 11:18 AM
U are so obsessed with using players nick name or in bengali daak naam.

Agree :). He sometimes creates confusion as it is hard to follow his post with some nicks for instance Nostradumas Rex. But, it makes the post more interesting to read definitely.

Nadim
December 27, 2012, 11:21 AM
Zia ke Test dole neowa hok Tamim er poribotte :D

roman
December 27, 2012, 11:22 AM
15 sixes in an innings by a BD guy!!! That's something to be proud of. What is the 2nd highest number of sixes in an innings Hit by a BD guy? I don't think its.more than 7-8

Well done the incredible hulk of Bangladesh!

Roni_uk
December 27, 2012, 11:30 AM
15 sixes.... reminds me of Watson playing against Bangladesh.

Well done.. its a shame he ran out of partners and more importantly it was not an international match

Nadim
December 27, 2012, 11:32 AM
15 sixes in an innings by a BD guy!!! That's something to be proud of. What is the 2nd highest number of sixes in an innings Hit by a BD guy? I don't think its.more than 7-8

Well done the incredible hulk of Bangladesh!

11 was the Highest by a Bd batsman AFAIK. Done by zunaid in a T20 game back in 2004/05/06

roman
December 27, 2012, 12:02 PM
11 was the Highest by a Bd batsman AFAIK. Done by zunaid in a T20 game back in 2004/05/06

Thanx Nadim. Old JuSi could play such an explosive innings. Actually he did start his career with a blast. And now its really painful to see him bat. Afsos..

Tiger Manc
December 27, 2012, 12:16 PM
In ODIs I wouldn't mind seeing him at #7 and bumping someone up to #3 if we can't find a settled #3.

Rifat_02
December 27, 2012, 01:29 PM
152 off 118 balls in FC with 15 sixes!! just wow, the bowling wasnt that weak either. This guy is a monster

boka
December 27, 2012, 01:39 PM
ZIA came into bat when score was 150/5
So, for any batter with commonsense and proper skill set would understand time is not suitable for attack, rather first had to settle-down and assess situation
and WHAT ZIA did let's check what stats says:

Ziaur Rahman 11* (30b 1x4)
Team score - 171/5
He was very watchful

He continued his effort until
Ziaur Rahman 17* (45b 1x4)
Team score was 193/7 and another wicket falls Team score became 193/8

Look at his scoring rate he was not the aggressor yet
but as he was running out of partners he reassess situation and understand he had to score most of the runs and he start hitting hard to only those balls which he could able to hit... look at the stats

His partners (Rubel 28 Murad 25) faced 53 balls, ZIA 73 out of which he scored 135 but his scoring balls are [6s+4s+3s+2s+1s]=(15+6+1+1+16)=39 and 34 dot balls (47% dots) where mostly he respect the bowlers for their good deliveries or didn't score singles to cover his tailender colleague.

To me most important aspect is in most cases this type of innings one could play one/two in a career, unfortunately he played it in a domestic game. Love to dream he could reproduce such sensible innings in his international career and will give us opportunity to watch such pleasantly-sensible innings from one of our batter.

btw, in Test or ODI no captain will show the magnitude of stupidity MULLAH showed today by giving ball to Ashraful and Mehrab jnr. Fortunately ZIA faced only 13 deliveries. He scored 42 runs (hit six sixes - 3 of each).

Hope ZIA will continue to show same intent and intellect that he showed today...

shakibrulz
December 27, 2012, 01:45 PM
You don't make a century by slogging....If that's so...then TI is a little better slogger by performance... Hope he can do as good slogging as TI in future...that will make this guy a much more valuable player, with his bowling ability in LOIs....

Um no. You can get tons through slogging ala Gayle. Tamim is no slogger although he does slog once in a while, but Zia is. Sheer power and hand eye co-ordination. And that aint a bad thing at all, of course. You don't need him in tests now IMO (he could make a strong case if consistent though), but is a must in ODIs.

Fazal
December 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
Bolsilam na...Zia can be game changer in T20 and ODI... pure power...what ever I have seen (limited). when he hits...he hits with so much power.... these type of players are maed for T20 and lower end ODI...high octane shots....ekdom atom bomb.

He should be seriously consodered in ODI and T20, because he fills a specific gap in the team.

Fazal
December 27, 2012, 02:01 PM
Reposters are already asking.. apne koon reshoner chaal khan? Unda koita khaan? Half boil naki kacha.... shokale cholar shathe ki khan? Deene koita Bookdon den?

Shaan
December 27, 2012, 02:08 PM
his Sixes were all against spinners, so seems like he is not much comfortable equally against pace bowling, nonetheless, a wonderful knock from our boy !!

Fazal
December 27, 2012, 02:21 PM
his Sixes were all against spinners, so seems like he is not much comfortable equally against pace bowling, nonetheless, a wonderful knock from our boy !!

or may be too good against FBs and may be opponent captain was too afraid that Zia will make those FBs tulo Dhunu ... petayee ekdom chatu banaye felbe...and that's why they barely used FBs against ZIa in this game.

Zia came to bat at the end of 36th over. And out of those FBs, only Shahadat was used for 3 overs: 59th over, 61th over and 63th over and here is what Shahadat gave:

59th over Shahadat gave 11 runs
61th over Shahadat gave 10 runs
63th over Shahadat gave 17 runs

Rifat
December 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
ZIA came into bat when score was 150/5
So, for any batter with commonsense and proper skill set would understand time is not suitable for attack, rather first had to settle-down and assess situation
and WHAT ZIA did let's check what stats says:

Ziaur Rahman 11* (30b 1x4)
Team score - 171/5
He was very watchful

He continued his effort until
Ziaur Rahman 17* (45b 1x4)
Team score was 193/7 and another wicket falls Team score became 193/8

Look at his scoring rate he was not the aggressor yet
but as he was running out of partners he reassess situation and understand he had to score most of the runs and he start hitting hard to only those balls which he could able to hit... look at the stats

His partners (Rubel 28 Murad 25) faced 53 balls, ZIA 73 out of which he scored 135 but his scoring balls are [6s+4s+3s+2s+1s]=(15+6+1+1+16)=39 and 34 dot balls (47% dots) where mostly he respect the bowlers for their good deliveries or didn't score singles to cover his tailender colleague.

To me most important aspect is in most cases this type of innings one could play one/two in a career, unfortunately he played it in a domestic game. Love to dream he could reproduce such sensible innings in his international career and will give us opportunity to watch such pleasantly-sensible innings from one of our batter.

btw, in Test or ODI no captain will show the magnitude of stupidity MULLAH showed today by giving ball to Ashraful and Mehrab jnr. Fortunately ZIA faced only 13 deliveries. He scored 42 runs (hit six sixes - 3 of each).

Hope ZIA will continue to show same intent and intellect that he showed today...

wonderful post :) We need more intelligent cricketers like him :clap:

mij
December 27, 2012, 02:49 PM
well played, keep it up.

mali007
December 27, 2012, 03:16 PM
I have been advocating for him for long time . he is our Samuel , should be considered for all formats !!

Isnaad
December 27, 2012, 03:21 PM

Tamim hit 12 a month and a half back. That's the 2nd highest.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

BANFAN
December 27, 2012, 06:07 PM
Um no. You can get tons through slogging ala Gayle. Tamim is no slogger although he does slog once in a while, but Zia is. Sheer power and hand eye co-ordination. And that aint a bad thing at all, of course. You don't need him in tests now IMO (he could make a strong case if consistent though), but is a must in ODIs.

By what definition Tamim is not a slogger and Gayle and Zia is, can you explain a bit more? Unless its just a logicless belief...

If Gayle and Zia is sheer hand eye coordination, so is TI, I don't see his foot moving, unless stepping out of the crease (Cause of many of his demise) ...that's done by both Gayle and Zia.... An aggressive bats man is not necessary a slogger... Gayle and Zia has shown much more patience when needed unlike TI....who only knows one way of batting....

You may like to read Boka's analysis for Zia...and I don't probably need to talk about Gayle...

BANFAN
December 27, 2012, 06:10 PM
Zia ke Test dole neowa hok Tamim er poribotte :D

Keno bhai, amra ki surplus batting syndrome e bhugchi....?? :) If we can Manage proper 5/6 batsmen, why not...lets see if Anamul, Mominul etc can mature.....why not...

BengaliPagol
December 27, 2012, 06:11 PM
Good to see Ziaur making a statement. Scoring at the rate he did is tremendous. He really did turn the game around completely.

HereWeGo
December 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
By what definition Tamim is not a slogger and Gayle and Zia is, can you explain a bit more? Unless its just a logicless belief...

If Gayle and Zia is sheer hand eye coordination, so is TI, I don't see his foot moving, unless stepping out of the crease (Cause of many of his demise) ...that's done by both Gayle and Zia.... An aggressive bats man is not necessary a slogger... Gayle and Zia has shown much more patience when needed unlike TI....who only knows one way of batting....

Tamim scores most of his runs through proper cricketing shots, there is the left handers elegance to the shots he execute. He does slog once in a while but does not rely on power.
Gayle and Zia relies on brute force and power. If you watched cricket long enough u should know/see the difference, its not that hard...

shakibrulz
December 27, 2012, 10:31 PM
Tamim scores most of his runs through proper cricketing shots, there is the left handers elegance to the shots he execute. He does slog once in a while but does not rely on power.
Gayle and Zia relies on brute force and power. If you watched cricket long enough u should know/see the difference, its not that hard...
Yeah this. I can't believe this has to be explained, the bleeding obvious to anyone who's been watching them. Tamim scores most of his runs through conventional shots - i.e. drives, cuts, pulls along the ground - most of them relies on timing rather than power. Gayle plays the big slogs rather than more conventional shots which relies on brute force and fine hand eye co-ordination.

The term slogger gets a bad rap, but it really isn't. A slogger can slog sensibly (like Zia did) have decent temperament etc. They add to the X factor of the team too IMO.