Soumya Sarkar

http://www.espncricinfo.com/inline/content/image/443687.html?alt=1
Other name(s): Shommo Sarker, Shommo Sarkar
Born February 25, 1993, Satkhira
Current age 19 years 119 days
Major teams Bangladesh Under-19s, Khulna Division
Batting style Left-hand bat
Bowling style Right-arm medium-fast

Deserves a thread after a terrific innings today, regardless of the opposition. Double century in ODIs, even in club cricket is a fine achievement. So well done Shommo! :up:

Kohli_Sox
June 23, 2012, 01:18 AM
Congratulations:fanflag:

crikss
June 23, 2012, 01:47 AM
he got his own thread...haha congrats

Isnaad
June 23, 2012, 01:48 AM
Future prospect maybe?

Naimul_Hd
June 23, 2012, 02:26 AM
Congrats Soumya Sarkar for earning your own BC thread. :)

BD Rox
June 23, 2012, 02:58 AM
Congrats brother. Hope he keeps it up.

Gowza
June 23, 2012, 04:38 AM
was one of the ones to watch even before this knock, but awesome for to to get the record.

shakibrulz
June 23, 2012, 04:40 AM
I think Sohel rates him, I'll take his word for now. Definitely an aggressive batsman, so at least looking forward to a good ODI/T20 prospect.

playmaker
June 23, 2012, 04:42 AM
:smh:

Too early to make a thread for SS

patriot
June 23, 2012, 04:43 AM
Shommo looks like Anamul's younger brother.

Nadim
June 23, 2012, 04:48 AM
Yh he is one of the most promising young player right now. Has been doing ok but sometimess I don't like when I see him batting in the middle order coz hE CAN be very solid opener. His bowling can be very handy too. Used to bowl more often but now turned into a occasional bowler.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

zinatf
June 23, 2012, 05:03 AM
Yes he does deserve a thread! An amazing talent....he did quite well for Victoria this DPL....hopefully many more glorious additions ahead!

Sohel
June 23, 2012, 05:46 AM
I think Sohel rates him, I'll take his word for now. Definitely an aggressive batsman, so at least looking forward to a good ODI/T20 prospect.

THIS POST (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/report.php?p=1540861) from another thread has my observations for those interested.

I hope this thread is kept alive through wonderful performances, and together with Bijauy's, becomes as heavy as Shakib and Tamim's one day. :)

Navo
June 23, 2012, 05:48 AM
"Sangakkara missed his double but Bangladesh Under-19s opener Soumya Sarkar smashed 209 in a one-dayer today." CI (http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-pakistan-2012/engine/current/match/562444.html)

Night_wolf
June 23, 2012, 07:00 AM
are we making him the next shewag just because he scored a 200 vs QATAR under 19?? :smh:

Antora
June 23, 2012, 07:08 AM
err.... his own thread now :S

anyway Congrats :)

BANFAN
June 23, 2012, 07:19 AM
Let's see how much you can raise yourself .... Sky is the limit...but tough days are ahead. Get going Sarkar...we are with you .........

T & C Applies. :)

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
June 23, 2012, 07:25 AM
It's too early to open a thread for a young star like Soumya . He scored 209 against Qatar 19. they barely know cricket!.. yeah, I am also excited about new star Soumya. But Lets see what he does when he faces pakistan/india/srilanka.

KaaL-PurusH
June 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
Congrats boyo whatsoever

simon
June 23, 2012, 07:57 AM
Soumya r obostha Shubhogoto Hom er moto na hoilei hoy, Sohel bhai jei analysis martasey. :lol:
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)

Rubu
June 23, 2012, 10:36 AM

How is he still playing for Under 19? Is the rule something like if the age is OK during registration, they can play during the tournament or something along that line?

Zunaid
June 23, 2012, 10:46 AM

How is he still playing for Under 19? Is the rule something like if the age is OK during registration, they can play during the tournament or something along that line?

I posted the relevant rules several years ago and it has come up ever year. I'm on the way to the airport so can't dig it up for you, but the gist is there is a cutoff date prior to the subsequent U19 WC. So you can be 19 +n days and still be eligible.

Night_wolf
June 23, 2012, 10:46 AM

i have the same ques..asif will turn 20 this December..he is over 19 since last year..how come he is still playing in the U 19 team?

Night_wolf
June 23, 2012, 10:48 AM
I posted the relevant rules several years ago and it has come up ever year. I'm on the way to the airport so can't dig it up for you, but the gist is there is a cutoff date prior to the subsequent U19 WC. So you can be 19 +n days and still be eligible.

but is the cut off period from last year?..i mean asif is 19+n days from last December

kalpurush
June 23, 2012, 11:00 AM
are we making him the next shewag just because he scored a 200 vs QATAR under 19?? :smh:
He might be even better than Shewag, you never know!?

A double TON in any level of cricket, even in "para cricket" is an achievement IMHO.

Night_wolf
June 23, 2012, 11:03 AM

A double TON in any level of cricket, even in "para cricket" is an achievement IMHO.

ki je kon obayed bhai..amio to akbar 200 marsilam amar choto bhai r or friend der sathe khelte jaye!

kalpurush
June 23, 2012, 11:05 AM
ki je kon obayed bhai..amio to akbar 200 marsilam amar choto bhai r or friend der sathe khelte jaye!
Our bad luck that selectors missed you!

Still playing cricket?

Night_wolf
June 23, 2012, 11:08 AM

Still playing cricket?

lol..with my vhuri nowadays i just watch and cheer!!..and my brother is 7 and a half years younger then me that would tell you the quality of my innings :-p

shakibrulz
June 23, 2012, 12:27 PM
:smh:

Too early to make a thread for SS
When's the apt time to make a thread then?

Max100
June 23, 2012, 12:42 PM
He deserve his own thread. This is just beginning.200 runs in odi against any opposition is a big deal and acievement.

Max100
June 23, 2012, 12:43 PM
When's the apt time to make a thread then?

Agree. Playmaker remove ur neg attitude. When someone first open Nasir or anamul s thread , people said same thing

Max100
June 23, 2012, 12:45 PM
Under 19 is beginning. Most big star came from under 19.
Plus he is from BKSP like shakib, mushfiq, that's another hope. He must have cricket basic

playmaker
June 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
ami nijer skule jonno ekta tournamente 4 matche 3ta chenthury hakaichilam, keu to amar lai kono thread khullo na dekhi :smh:
(onno matche 10 runer niche out hoye gesilam)

Eshen
June 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
Calendar year for cricket starts from September 1. Soumya was still under 19 last September, so he is eligible to play in all U/19 tourneys till next September. Don't worry, other teams also fields above 19 years olds in U/19 tourneys, going by this rule (associate teams are allowed to even field 20 years olds).

And yeah, congrats Soumay! A double century is an excellent achievement, even against some schoolboys from Qatar!

Eshen
June 23, 2012, 12:59 PM
I am more intrigued by Abu Haider though, not becuase of his opponents, but that he seemed to have been in a different league from his bowling partners today!

MohammedC
June 23, 2012, 01:04 PM
Who once said.

Soumya Sarkar.....how good is he?

he opens batting & bowling for BKSP!!!!
just like atahar ali...
is he that good?

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=1251981&postcount=562

Only in Banglacricket.com we talk about talent. I actually remember someone saying it so I search and found this post by jisaan.

Eshen
June 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
^ I never rated Atahar Ali much as a bowler, but he was a decent batsman in international standard (much better than JO, Biddut, Opee, Rokon, etc, that came in the stage after him). IMO, it's too early to compare Soumya with anyone.

Ajfar
June 23, 2012, 01:53 PM
Holy cow Eshen bhai you are still around? You been missing in action for a long time. Hopefully you won't disappear again.

MohammedC
June 23, 2012, 02:10 PM
^ I never rated Atahar Ali much as a bowler, but he was a decent batsman in international standard (much better than JO, Biddut, Opee, Rokon, etc, that came in the stage after him). IMO, it's too early to compare Soumya with anyone.

Figure of speech. I think you need to go to the link and find out how long ago that comment was posted by "jisaan".

No one is comparing him The Great Athar Ali.

BTW I am 38 and have not got much memory of Athar Ali opening the bowling. You must be old Eshen.

Eshen
June 23, 2012, 02:14 PM
^Nope, I am younger than you are, but I had seen Atahar Ali bowling, though not as an opening bowler.

Nasif
June 23, 2012, 02:38 PM
Picture, from facebook.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/581226_334228379989497_1575872900_n.jpg

BANFAN
June 23, 2012, 02:49 PM

Surely... You still have to put those balls over the rope so many times...and he did it without making any mistake..... That's speaks of his quality.... Many great players can't keep that concentration for so long...

BANFAN
June 23, 2012, 02:51 PM
Great...is that Shoummyo ..? Looks smart too... Quiet a hero in Panjabi...without helmet...:)

Max100
June 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
Why anamul is not in under 19, when Asif, noor hossain are there

If u notice pak under 19' some guys played last 3 under 19, don't they get old, specially babar azam and usman qadir

BANFAN
June 23, 2012, 03:40 PM
Anamul is with the National team in Zim..

Maysun
June 23, 2012, 05:06 PM
Too early

MohammedC
June 23, 2012, 06:15 PM
[বাংলা]‘ভেবেছিলাম নিজের রেকর্ড ভাঙব’[/বাংলা]

[বাংলা]৫০ ওভারের ম্যাচে ডাবল সেঞ্চুরি যেকোনো পর্যায়ের ক্রিকেটেই বিশাল কৃতিত্ব। অনূর্ধ্ব-১৯ এশিয়া কাপে কাতারের বিপক্ষে বাংলাদেশের তরুণ সৌম্য সরকার কাল করে দেখালেন সেটাই। তরুণ এই ওপেনারের অবশ্য এর চেয়ে বড় কীর্তিও আছে। মালয়েশিয়া থেকে টেলিফোনে জানালেন, টপকে যেতে চেয়েছিলেন নিজের সেই কীর্তি

 কেমন লাগছে ডাবল সেঞ্চুরি করে?
সৌম্য সরকার: খুবই ভালো লাগছে। এশিয়া কাপের মতো আসরে ২০৯ রান করতে পেরেছি। আত্মবিশ্বাস এখন বেড়ে গেছে অনেক।
 ৫০ ওভারের ক্রিকেটে এর আগে সর্বোচ্চ কত রান করেছেন?
সৌম্য: সালটা মনে নেই। তবে অনূর্ধ্ব-১৬ ক্রিকেটে একবার ২৫০ রান করেছিলাম। ক্লাব পর্যায়ের ক্রিকেট ছিল সেটা। আজ (গতকাল) ভেবেছিলাম নিজের ওই রেকর্ডটা ভাঙব। আউট না হয়ে গেলে সম্ভব ছিল। আমি আউট হওয়ার পরও আরও পাঁচ-ছয় ওভার বাকি ছিল।
 কাতারের বোলিং কি খুব বেশি দুর্বল ছিল?
সৌম্য: বোলিং যে খুব খারাপ ছিল, তা নয়। উইকেট ভালো ছিল, ওরা সুইংও পাচ্ছিল বেশ। তবে পেস খুব বেশি না। সেটাও একটা সমস্যা। আগে থেকে বোঝা যাচ্ছিল না বল জোরে আসবে না আস্তে আসবে।
 আপনি আর আসিফ আহমেদ ছাড়া দলের বাকি ব্যাটসম্যানরা ব্যর্থ কি সে কারণেই?
সৌম্য: ওই যে বললাম, বল আস্তে আসবে না জোরে, সেটা বোঝা যাচ্ছিল না। শট খেলা কঠিন এসব বলে। মিস টাইমিং হওয়ার সম্ভাবনা থাকে বেশি। আমার সঙ্গের ওপেনার আসলাম যেমন সুইং বলে ড্রাইভ খেলতে গিয়ে কট বিহাইন্ড হয়েছে।
 গত জাতীয় লিগে খুলনার হয়ে ৫৩৩ রান করেছিলেন। কিন্তু ভিক্টোরিয়ার সর্বশেষ প্রিমিয়ার লিগে সে রকম পারফরম্যান্স ছিল না। ৮ ম্যাচে মাত্র ১৬৪...
সৌম্য: প্রিমিয়ার লিগে কোনো ফিফটি না থাকলেও নিয়মিত ৩০-৩৫ করে করেছি। আসলে লিগে যে জায়গায় ব্যাটিং করেছি সেখানে আমি স্বচ্ছন্দ না। পছন্দের জায়গায় ব্যাটিং পাইনি।
 মালয়েশিয়ায় গিয়ে হঠাৎ করে এতটা ভালো ফর্মে আসার কারণ কী?
সৌম্য: এখানে আসার আগে সিসিডিএম একাদশের বিপক্ষে কয়েকটা প্রস্তুতি ম্যাচ খেলেছি আমরা। প্রথম ম্যাচে মাত্র ৪ রান করলেও পরের দুই ম্যাচে আমার রান ৫০ ও ৮৪। তো ওই ফর্মটাই আরও ভালো হয়েছে মনে হচ্ছে।
 এই ম্যাচেই পেসার আবু হায়দার ৯ উইকেট পেলেন। তাঁর বোলিংটা কেমন দেখলেন?
সৌম্য: অসাধারণ বোলিং করেছে ও। আবু হায়দারের বল দুই দিকেই সুইং করে, এটা তার প্লাস পয়েন্ট। সবচেয়ে বড় কথা ও খুব ভালো জায়গায় বল ফেলেছে এবং ধারাবাহিকভাবেই তা করে গেছে। ওর বলে কাতারের তিন ব্যাটসম্যান তো কট বিহাইন্ডই হলো। হ্যাটট্রিক না করলেও দুবার সে সুযোগ তৈরি করেছিল। খেলা শেষে দেখলাম তার ৮৫ শতাংশ বলই ডট।
 পরিবারের আর কেউ আছেন খেলাধুলায়?
সৌম্য: আমাদের বাড়ি সাতক্ষীরায়। আমার বাবা সাতক্ষীরায় ফুটবল খেলতেন। মেজো ভাই খেলতেন ক্রিকেট।
 আপনার ক্রিকেটে আসা কি সে কারণেই?
সৌম্য: অনেকটা সে রকমই। ছোটবেলা থেকেই খেলাধুলায় আগ্রহ ছিল আমার। বাসা থেকে পালিয়ে খেলতে চলে যেতাম। তবে পরিবার থেকে যে খুব বেশি বাধা দিত, তা-ও নয়। মেজো ভাই-ই বরং ২০০৬ সালে আমাকে বিকেএসপিতে ভর্তি করিয়ে দেন। সেই থেকে শুরু।[/বাংলা]

http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/date/2012-06-24/news/268420

Zeeshan
June 23, 2012, 06:21 PM
The fact that he scored a u-16 250 shows he has the temperament.(Thanks moc-choc bhai) :p

Nadim
June 23, 2012, 06:51 PM
Egiye jao Sarker saheb. Tamim er din sesh?:-p
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

TigerEz
June 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
heres a better version of MOC bhai post/.......

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/411886_332741326803991_155193776_o.jpg

Saifulsohel
June 29, 2012, 11:19 AM

Still playing cricket?

i agree u

playmaker
June 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
i want to see him score big against quality sides, then we can talk about him getting a chance

shakibrulz
August 19, 2012, 01:21 AM
Failed throughout the series, but scored well when it matters, unfortunately got zero support. 73(80) against a good bowling side in Australia - surely the guy has some potential IMO, if he cuts down on the rash shots.

Gowza
August 19, 2012, 01:27 AM
Of course he has potential, one of the best youngsters going around BD but like all the others he struggles with consistency. 200 in a one-day match even if against poor opposition is a mighty feat, scored when it mattered today.

Sohel
August 19, 2012, 01:27 AM
We need big match players and I hope and pray that SoSa turns out to be one.

Habib
August 19, 2012, 01:28 AM
He justified his position as an opener. Positive innings.

shakibrulz
January 19, 2013, 10:22 AM
How did he do guys? Seems he batted well towards the end?

Nadim
January 19, 2013, 10:28 AM

Lol he only faced one ball.

But his fielding is pretty good
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Maysun
January 19, 2013, 10:49 AM

Had a SR of 100!!

Night_wolf
January 19, 2013, 10:57 AM
Soumya is wasted at DG..just like many players get wasted at mumbai indians,he would have done better if playing for another team..

deshimon
January 19, 2013, 11:01 AM
Soumya is wasted at DG..just like many players get wasted at mumbai indians,he would have done better if playing for another team..

If he could play in the team like Rangpur, Khulna or Rajshahi he would get chance opening position in every match and he could show himself.

Tiger Manc
January 19, 2013, 11:02 AM
I agree. If he played for Rangpur or Khulna he could've opened.

shakibrulz
January 19, 2013, 11:25 AM
Lol he only faced one ball.

But his fielding is pretty good

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Was looking at Cobb's score, my bad :facepalm:

Yeah agree, Dhaka is way too strong for my liking :(

Fazal
January 19, 2013, 11:59 AM
Yeah agree, Dhaka is way too strong for my liking :(

I am in the same boat. No fun rooting for this team, the NY Yankees of Bangladesh.

Gowza
January 19, 2013, 06:16 PM
yeah another team would have been better for him, missing a huge opportunity in developing his game and experience by being in such a strong team.

Sohel
January 20, 2013, 01:34 AM
SoSa will get his chances even batting at number 7. He better deliver when he does. That's the only way Shakib will promote him up the order.