Soumya Sarkar

http://www.espncricinfo.com/inline/content/image/443687.html?alt=1
Other name(s): Shommo Sarker, Shommo Sarkar
Born February 25, 1993, Satkhira
Current age 19 years 119 days
Major teams Bangladesh Under-19s, Khulna Division
Batting style Left-hand bat
Bowling style Right-arm medium-fast

Deserves a thread after a terrific innings today, regardless of the opposition. Double century in ODIs, even in club cricket is a fine achievement. So well done Shommo! :up:

Kohli_Sox
June 23, 2012, 01:18 AM
Congratulations:fanflag:

crikss
June 23, 2012, 01:47 AM
he got his own thread...haha congrats

Isnaad
June 23, 2012, 01:48 AM
Future prospect maybe?

Naimul_Hd
June 23, 2012, 02:26 AM
Congrats Soumya Sarkar for earning your own BC thread. :)

BD Rox
June 23, 2012, 02:58 AM
Congrats brother. Hope he keeps it up.

Gowza
June 23, 2012, 04:38 AM
was one of the ones to watch even before this knock, but awesome for to to get the record.

shakibrulz
June 23, 2012, 04:40 AM
I think Sohel rates him, I'll take his word for now. Definitely an aggressive batsman, so at least looking forward to a good ODI/T20 prospect.

playmaker
June 23, 2012, 04:42 AM
:smh:

Too early to make a thread for SS

patriot
June 23, 2012, 04:43 AM
Shommo looks like Anamul's younger brother.

Nadim
June 23, 2012, 04:48 AM
Yh he is one of the most promising young player right now. Has been doing ok but sometimess I don't like when I see him batting in the middle order coz hE CAN be very solid opener. His bowling can be very handy too. Used to bowl more often but now turned into a occasional bowler.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

zinatf
June 23, 2012, 05:03 AM
Yes he does deserve a thread! An amazing talent....he did quite well for Victoria this DPL....hopefully many more glorious additions ahead!

Sohel
June 23, 2012, 05:46 AM
I think Sohel rates him, I'll take his word for now. Definitely an aggressive batsman, so at least looking forward to a good ODI/T20 prospect.

THIS POST (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/report.php?p=1540861) from another thread has my observations for those interested.

I hope this thread is kept alive through wonderful performances, and together with Bijauy's, becomes as heavy as Shakib and Tamim's one day. :)

Navo
June 23, 2012, 05:48 AM
"Sangakkara missed his double but Bangladesh Under-19s opener Soumya Sarkar smashed 209 in a one-dayer today." CI (http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-pakistan-2012/engine/current/match/562444.html)

Night_wolf
June 23, 2012, 07:00 AM
are we making him the next shewag just because he scored a 200 vs QATAR under 19?? :smh:

Antora
June 23, 2012, 07:08 AM
err.... his own thread now :S

anyway Congrats :)

BANFAN
June 23, 2012, 07:19 AM
Let's see how much you can raise yourself .... Sky is the limit...but tough days are ahead. Get going Sarkar...we are with you .........

T & C Applies. :)

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
June 23, 2012, 07:25 AM
It's too early to open a thread for a young star like Soumya . He scored 209 against Qatar 19. they barely know cricket!.. yeah, I am also excited about new star Soumya. But Lets see what he does when he faces pakistan/india/srilanka.

KaaL-PurusH
June 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
Congrats boyo whatsoever

simon
June 23, 2012, 07:57 AM
Soumya r obostha Shubhogoto Hom er moto na hoilei hoy, Sohel bhai jei analysis martasey. :lol:
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)

Rubu
June 23, 2012, 10:36 AM

How is he still playing for Under 19? Is the rule something like if the age is OK during registration, they can play during the tournament or something along that line?

Zunaid
June 23, 2012, 10:46 AM

How is he still playing for Under 19? Is the rule something like if the age is OK during registration, they can play during the tournament or something along that line?

I posted the relevant rules several years ago and it has come up ever year. I'm on the way to the airport so can't dig it up for you, but the gist is there is a cutoff date prior to the subsequent U19 WC. So you can be 19 +n days and still be eligible.

Night_wolf
June 23, 2012, 10:46 AM

i have the same ques..asif will turn 20 this December..he is over 19 since last year..how come he is still playing in the U 19 team?

Night_wolf
June 23, 2012, 10:48 AM
I posted the relevant rules several years ago and it has come up ever year. I'm on the way to the airport so can't dig it up for you, but the gist is there is a cutoff date prior to the subsequent U19 WC. So you can be 19 +n days and still be eligible.

but is the cut off period from last year?..i mean asif is 19+n days from last December

kalpurush
June 23, 2012, 11:00 AM
are we making him the next shewag just because he scored a 200 vs QATAR under 19?? :smh:
He might be even better than Shewag, you never know!?

A double TON in any level of cricket, even in "para cricket" is an achievement IMHO.

Night_wolf
June 23, 2012, 11:03 AM

A double TON in any level of cricket, even in "para cricket" is an achievement IMHO.

ki je kon obayed bhai..amio to akbar 200 marsilam amar choto bhai r or friend der sathe khelte jaye!

kalpurush
June 23, 2012, 11:05 AM
ki je kon obayed bhai..amio to akbar 200 marsilam amar choto bhai r or friend der sathe khelte jaye!
Our bad luck that selectors missed you!

Still playing cricket?

Night_wolf
June 23, 2012, 11:08 AM

Still playing cricket?

lol..with my vhuri nowadays i just watch and cheer!!..and my brother is 7 and a half years younger then me that would tell you the quality of my innings :-p

shakibrulz
June 23, 2012, 12:27 PM
:smh:

Too early to make a thread for SS
When's the apt time to make a thread then?

Max100
June 23, 2012, 12:42 PM
He deserve his own thread. This is just beginning.200 runs in odi against any opposition is a big deal and acievement.

Max100
June 23, 2012, 12:43 PM
When's the apt time to make a thread then?

Agree. Playmaker remove ur neg attitude. When someone first open Nasir or anamul s thread , people said same thing

Max100
June 23, 2012, 12:45 PM
Under 19 is beginning. Most big star came from under 19.
Plus he is from BKSP like shakib, mushfiq, that's another hope. He must have cricket basic

playmaker
June 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
ami nijer skule jonno ekta tournamente 4 matche 3ta chenthury hakaichilam, keu to amar lai kono thread khullo na dekhi :smh:
(onno matche 10 runer niche out hoye gesilam)

Eshen
June 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
Calendar year for cricket starts from September 1. Soumya was still under 19 last September, so he is eligible to play in all U/19 tourneys till next September. Don't worry, other teams also fields above 19 years olds in U/19 tourneys, going by this rule (associate teams are allowed to even field 20 years olds).

And yeah, congrats Soumay! A double century is an excellent achievement, even against some schoolboys from Qatar!

Eshen
June 23, 2012, 12:59 PM
I am more intrigued by Abu Haider though, not becuase of his opponents, but that he seemed to have been in a different league from his bowling partners today!

MohammedC
June 23, 2012, 01:04 PM
Who once said.

Soumya Sarkar.....how good is he?

he opens batting & bowling for BKSP!!!!
just like atahar ali...
is he that good?

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=1251981&postcount=562

Only in Banglacricket.com we talk about talent. I actually remember someone saying it so I search and found this post by jisaan.

Eshen
June 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
^ I never rated Atahar Ali much as a bowler, but he was a decent batsman in international standard (much better than JO, Biddut, Opee, Rokon, etc, that came in the stage after him). IMO, it's too early to compare Soumya with anyone.

Ajfar
June 23, 2012, 01:53 PM
Holy cow Eshen bhai you are still around? You been missing in action for a long time. Hopefully you won't disappear again.

MohammedC
June 23, 2012, 02:10 PM
^ I never rated Atahar Ali much as a bowler, but he was a decent batsman in international standard (much better than JO, Biddut, Opee, Rokon, etc, that came in the stage after him). IMO, it's too early to compare Soumya with anyone.

Figure of speech. I think you need to go to the link and find out how long ago that comment was posted by "jisaan".

No one is comparing him The Great Athar Ali.

BTW I am 38 and have not got much memory of Athar Ali opening the bowling. You must be old Eshen.

Eshen
June 23, 2012, 02:14 PM
^Nope, I am younger than you are, but I had seen Atahar Ali bowling, though not as an opening bowler.

Nasif
June 23, 2012, 02:38 PM
Picture, from facebook.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/581226_334228379989497_1575872900_n.jpg

BANFAN
June 23, 2012, 02:49 PM

Surely... You still have to put those balls over the rope so many times...and he did it without making any mistake..... That's speaks of his quality.... Many great players can't keep that concentration for so long...

BANFAN
June 23, 2012, 02:51 PM
Great...is that Shoummyo ..? Looks smart too... Quiet a hero in Panjabi...without helmet...:)

Max100
June 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
Why anamul is not in under 19, when Asif, noor hossain are there

If u notice pak under 19' some guys played last 3 under 19, don't they get old, specially babar azam and usman qadir

BANFAN
June 23, 2012, 03:40 PM
Anamul is with the National team in Zim..

Maysun
June 23, 2012, 05:06 PM
Too early

MohammedC
June 23, 2012, 06:15 PM
[বাংলা]‘ভেবেছিলাম নিজের রেকর্ড ভাঙব’[/বাংলা]

[বাংলা]৫০ ওভারের ম্যাচে ডাবল সেঞ্চুরি যেকোনো পর্যায়ের ক্রিকেটেই বিশাল কৃতিত্ব। অনূর্ধ্ব-১৯ এশিয়া কাপে কাতারের বিপক্ষে বাংলাদেশের তরুণ সৌম্য সরকার কাল করে দেখালেন সেটাই। তরুণ এই ওপেনারের অবশ্য এর চেয়ে বড় কীর্তিও আছে। মালয়েশিয়া থেকে টেলিফোনে জানালেন, টপকে যেতে চেয়েছিলেন নিজের সেই কীর্তি

 কেমন লাগছে ডাবল সেঞ্চুরি করে?
সৌম্য সরকার: খুবই ভালো লাগছে। এশিয়া কাপের মতো আসরে ২০৯ রান করতে পেরেছি। আত্মবিশ্বাস এখন বেড়ে গেছে অনেক।
 ৫০ ওভারের ক্রিকেটে এর আগে সর্বোচ্চ কত রান করেছেন?
সৌম্য: সালটা মনে নেই। তবে অনূর্ধ্ব-১৬ ক্রিকেটে একবার ২৫০ রান করেছিলাম। ক্লাব পর্যায়ের ক্রিকেট ছিল সেটা। আজ (গতকাল) ভেবেছিলাম নিজের ওই রেকর্ডটা ভাঙব। আউট না হয়ে গেলে সম্ভব ছিল। আমি আউট হওয়ার পরও আরও পাঁচ-ছয় ওভার বাকি ছিল।
 কাতারের বোলিং কি খুব বেশি দুর্বল ছিল?
সৌম্য: বোলিং যে খুব খারাপ ছিল, তা নয়। উইকেট ভালো ছিল, ওরা সুইংও পাচ্ছিল বেশ। তবে পেস খুব বেশি না। সেটাও একটা সমস্যা। আগে থেকে বোঝা যাচ্ছিল না বল জোরে আসবে না আস্তে আসবে।
 আপনি আর আসিফ আহমেদ ছাড়া দলের বাকি ব্যাটসম্যানরা ব্যর্থ কি সে কারণেই?
সৌম্য: ওই যে বললাম, বল আস্তে আসবে না জোরে, সেটা বোঝা যাচ্ছিল না। শট খেলা কঠিন এসব বলে। মিস টাইমিং হওয়ার সম্ভাবনা থাকে বেশি। আমার সঙ্গের ওপেনার আসলাম যেমন সুইং বলে ড্রাইভ খেলতে গিয়ে কট বিহাইন্ড হয়েছে।
 গত জাতীয় লিগে খুলনার হয়ে ৫৩৩ রান করেছিলেন। কিন্তু ভিক্টোরিয়ার সর্বশেষ প্রিমিয়ার লিগে সে রকম পারফরম্যান্স ছিল না। ৮ ম্যাচে মাত্র ১৬৪...
সৌম্য: প্রিমিয়ার লিগে কোনো ফিফটি না থাকলেও নিয়মিত ৩০-৩৫ করে করেছি। আসলে লিগে যে জায়গায় ব্যাটিং করেছি সেখানে আমি স্বচ্ছন্দ না। পছন্দের জায়গায় ব্যাটিং পাইনি।
 মালয়েশিয়ায় গিয়ে হঠাৎ করে এতটা ভালো ফর্মে আসার কারণ কী?
সৌম্য: এখানে আসার আগে সিসিডিএম একাদশের বিপক্ষে কয়েকটা প্রস্তুতি ম্যাচ খেলেছি আমরা। প্রথম ম্যাচে মাত্র ৪ রান করলেও পরের দুই ম্যাচে আমার রান ৫০ ও ৮৪। তো ওই ফর্মটাই আরও ভালো হয়েছে মনে হচ্ছে।
 এই ম্যাচেই পেসার আবু হায়দার ৯ উইকেট পেলেন। তাঁর বোলিংটা কেমন দেখলেন?
সৌম্য: অসাধারণ বোলিং করেছে ও। আবু হায়দারের বল দুই দিকেই সুইং করে, এটা তার প্লাস পয়েন্ট। সবচেয়ে বড় কথা ও খুব ভালো জায়গায় বল ফেলেছে এবং ধারাবাহিকভাবেই তা করে গেছে। ওর বলে কাতারের তিন ব্যাটসম্যান তো কট বিহাইন্ডই হলো। হ্যাটট্রিক না করলেও দুবার সে সুযোগ তৈরি করেছিল। খেলা শেষে দেখলাম তার ৮৫ শতাংশ বলই ডট।
 পরিবারের আর কেউ আছেন খেলাধুলায়?
সৌম্য: আমাদের বাড়ি সাতক্ষীরায়। আমার বাবা সাতক্ষীরায় ফুটবল খেলতেন। মেজো ভাই খেলতেন ক্রিকেট।
 আপনার ক্রিকেটে আসা কি সে কারণেই?
সৌম্য: অনেকটা সে রকমই। ছোটবেলা থেকেই খেলাধুলায় আগ্রহ ছিল আমার। বাসা থেকে পালিয়ে খেলতে চলে যেতাম। তবে পরিবার থেকে যে খুব বেশি বাধা দিত, তা-ও নয়। মেজো ভাই-ই বরং ২০০৬ সালে আমাকে বিকেএসপিতে ভর্তি করিয়ে দেন। সেই থেকে শুরু।[/বাংলা]

http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/date/2012-06-24/news/268420

Zeeshan
June 23, 2012, 06:21 PM
The fact that he scored a u-16 250 shows he has the temperament.(Thanks moc-choc bhai) :p

Nadim
June 23, 2012, 06:51 PM
Egiye jao Sarker saheb. Tamim er din sesh?:-p
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

TigerEz
June 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
heres a better version of MOC bhai post/.......

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/411886_332741326803991_155193776_o.jpg

Saifulsohel
June 29, 2012, 11:19 AM

Still playing cricket?

i agree u

playmaker
June 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
i want to see him score big against quality sides, then we can talk about him getting a chance

shakibrulz
August 19, 2012, 01:21 AM
Failed throughout the series, but scored well when it matters, unfortunately got zero support. 73(80) against a good bowling side in Australia - surely the guy has some potential IMO, if he cuts down on the rash shots.

Gowza
August 19, 2012, 01:27 AM
Of course he has potential, one of the best youngsters going around BD but like all the others he struggles with consistency. 200 in a one-day match even if against poor opposition is a mighty feat, scored when it mattered today.

Sohel
August 19, 2012, 01:27 AM
We need big match players and I hope and pray that SoSa turns out to be one.

Habib
August 19, 2012, 01:28 AM
He justified his position as an opener. Positive innings.

shakibrulz
January 19, 2013, 10:22 AM
How did he do guys? Seems he batted well towards the end?

Nadim
January 19, 2013, 10:28 AM

Lol he only faced one ball.

But his fielding is pretty good
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Maysun
January 19, 2013, 10:49 AM

Had a SR of 100!!

Night_wolf
January 19, 2013, 10:57 AM
Soumya is wasted at DG..just like many players get wasted at mumbai indians,he would have done better if playing for another team..

deshimon
January 19, 2013, 11:01 AM
Soumya is wasted at DG..just like many players get wasted at mumbai indians,he would have done better if playing for another team..

If he could play in the team like Rangpur, Khulna or Rajshahi he would get chance opening position in every match and he could show himself.

Tiger Manc
January 19, 2013, 11:02 AM
I agree. If he played for Rangpur or Khulna he could've opened.

shakibrulz
January 19, 2013, 11:25 AM
Lol he only faced one ball.

But his fielding is pretty good

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Was looking at Cobb's score, my bad :facepalm:

Yeah agree, Dhaka is way too strong for my liking :(

Fazal
January 19, 2013, 11:59 AM
Yeah agree, Dhaka is way too strong for my liking :(

I am in the same boat. No fun rooting for this team, the NY Yankees of Bangladesh.

Gowza
January 19, 2013, 06:16 PM
yeah another team would have been better for him, missing a huge opportunity in developing his game and experience by being in such a strong team.

Sohel
January 20, 2013, 01:34 AM
SoSa will get his chances even batting at number 7. He better deliver when he does. That's the only way Shakib will promote him up the order.

BengaliPagol
February 23, 2015, 06:27 PM
Love this kid just as much as a i love Imrul. Seems perfect for ODIs. He wont be bogged down or intimidated by any bowler. Seems fearless. I also like his batting technique. I think he has what it takes. Kinda reminds me of a younger version of Tamim.

BanCricFan
February 23, 2015, 11:38 PM
Btw, what happened to Shakibrulz. Someone hurt her feelings? She has lost that loving feeling?

Yasin.
February 26, 2015, 03:22 AM
Looks so good. But looks aren't everything. Such a good start and such a short lived stay.

Night_wolf
February 26, 2015, 03:33 AM
next zunaid siddique in the making

Nadim
February 26, 2015, 03:34 AM
Unless he scores big, he won't replace anyone...

ammark
February 26, 2015, 03:38 AM
Flash in the pan, another Tamim Iqbal! The way he played that ball when he got out, I'm not convinced he's got the temperament.

Han.has
February 26, 2015, 03:47 AM
He looks good to me, just need to carry on.

jeesh
February 26, 2015, 05:58 AM
Beautiful technique. Such a clean striker of the ball. We ve got a real talent in our hands, question is how far we can shape him and whether he can sustain this early promise.

Nadim
February 26, 2015, 06:03 AM
Beautiful technique. Such a clean striker of the ball. We ve got a real talent in our hands, question is how far we can shape him and whether he can sustain this early promise.

Early promise won't last long if he doesn't score big. That's scoring 50's and 100's.

Gowza
February 26, 2015, 06:15 AM
Early promise won't last long if he doesn't score big. That's scoring 50's and 100's.

We need to keep playing him to find out, only 3 matches in, looks good but as you say needs to go on to score those 50s and 100s, but so far in this World Cup he's looked better than both tamim and anamul.

Han.has
February 26, 2015, 06:22 AM
I believe he will shine. He is positive and have quite good technique.

jeesh
February 26, 2015, 06:22 AM
Yes we ve seen the same brilliance from so many in the past. But so few live up to it.

mij
February 26, 2015, 06:27 AM
After 20s he is thinking I got 20 run, thats a lot.

BD_TigerZ
February 26, 2015, 07:03 AM
I believe he will shine. He is positive and have quite good technique.

Wasnt Jahirul Aumi "Positive and technically quite good"?

Nafi
February 26, 2015, 07:12 AM
He's a good player. Just need to convert his starts to 50s.

BengaliPagol
February 26, 2015, 07:32 AM
The thing abt a talent like soumya is that it doesnt look like he will struggle badly against top class bowlers rather his positive attitude and oozing confidence will help him. Comparing him to someone like jahurul is totally wrong because jahurul will struggle badly against good bowlers.

As i said before Soumya reminds me off a young and confident tamim. Not sure if its a good or bad thing cos tamim cant convert but then again today's tamim cant convert either. Has alot of talent but needs to have temperament if he is gonna last or else he will be a flash in the pan type batsmen.

MohammedShamim
February 26, 2015, 07:59 AM
Will be a deadly player. Have not seen any opening batsmen or no 3 in recent times with such sound and technically correct. I am waiting to see how Liton Looks at the international stage. Like other members, he needs to have a good temperament to score big.

Rana Melb
February 26, 2015, 08:03 AM
Why Somuya did not ball today?:confused:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________

NoName
February 26, 2015, 08:05 AM
Needs to be guided properly, has an aggressive and fearless approach which is severely lacking in our top order

patriot
February 26, 2015, 09:03 AM
Not very excited. We have seen such talent before. They come..impress in the first few matches, play fearless cricket because there are no expectations. Once opposition starts finding their weakness, they get figured out and return to medocrity. e.g.
Ashraful, Tamim, Junaid, Nasir etc

Hope Sarkar doesnt follow these guys. He looks very classy though.

BanCricFan
February 26, 2015, 09:18 AM
Great batting prospect. This lad is unbelievably talented. If he tightens up his shot selection and game outside the off stump he will be prolific in international cricket. He should learn to pace his innings better. I don't want to say that he should curb his attacking instincts more but he must spend more time in the middle and play longer innings. A wonderful talent.

BanCricFan
February 26, 2015, 09:21 AM
Not very excited. We have seen such talent before. They come..impress in the first few matches, play fearless cricket because there are no expectations. Once opposition starts finding their weakness, they get figured out and return to medocrity. e.g.
Ashraful, Tamim, Junaid, Nasir etc

Hope Sarkar doesnt follow these guys. He looks very classy though.

Ashraful didn't get "found out" -except by the ACSU unit. This guy, on his day, could tear apart any attack .

patriot
February 26, 2015, 09:32 AM
Ashraful didn't get "found out" -except by the ACSU unit. This guy, on his day, could tear apart any attack .

True. The problem is those days come once every 10 years.

Hawk-Eye
February 26, 2015, 09:47 AM
He could be a big asset if is in good hand.

Fazal
February 26, 2015, 10:39 AM
Yes I understand that so far he failed to produce a dominating innings. But he haven't played enough.

So far what he showed us is: He is exciting, he is confident, he can be an asset in our anemic batting order and h He e has the technical tools to open in this level. All he needs is some patience, determination and experience.

I would rather try our luck in ODI opening with him than Anamul or Tamim at this moment. He may not be the perfect choice, but he is the best available choice in this WC.

simon
February 26, 2015, 02:05 PM
Why Somuya did not ball today?:confused:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________

My question too.

Soumya is may be another OweMe
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

WarWolf
February 26, 2015, 10:08 PM
Most of our batsmen are not comfortable in playing on fast bouncy surface. This boy looks to enjoy such conditions.

Way to go SS.

Rana Melb
February 26, 2015, 10:21 PM
SS is an attacking batsman, has good technique:up: However, he has not extended his innings so far all the games he played in Australia. Top order batsman has to carry the innings. 20-30 good runs wont add value most of the time. SS should carry on n build up innings- this is my piece of advice.

BengaliPagol
February 26, 2015, 10:27 PM
In the practice match against ireland he was playing some amazing cricket and looked like flying to a century. Unfortunately he got run out. The scoreboard was terrible wen he came in. He looks to be that guy who goes looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. Positive player and we need that at the top. Yeah sure he seems to bat like junaid with a good looking 20 before getting out but he is showing much more confidence and positivity that i haven't seen from a youngster for quite a while.

jeesh
February 26, 2015, 10:42 PM
Btw why wasnt he given the ball yesterday.

betaar
February 26, 2015, 10:44 PM
There's no question he's got good technique; but his got an advantage most other BD batters don't. His height. I know it's not absolutely necessary but when you play on bouncy pitches, it can come to your aid.
In terms of his aggressiveness; his got that. But unless he learns how to select his shots soon his weakness will be exploited and he will be a ball less chicken like Tamim (who I don't think is fully fit) just to keep his place in the team.

BengaliPagol
February 26, 2015, 11:27 PM
Lol height isnt a big factor as a batsmen. take mushy for example...

Dilscoop
February 27, 2015, 12:12 AM
He has no balance. That one six he hit vs AFG, he almost fell after going half way thru the swing. His initial foot movement is forward. That's a no-no in these parts of the world.

Nafi
February 27, 2015, 02:12 AM
He has no balance. That one six he hit vs AFG, he almost fell after going half way thru the swing. His initial foot movement is forward. That's a no-no in these parts of the world.

These faults are easy to correct.

Rifat
February 27, 2015, 02:34 AM
is it too much to ask? Soumya Sarkar? bhaiya ekta centuri korba :-p
#ABDevillarsFever

BANFAN
February 27, 2015, 02:49 AM
Till now, he is also a occasional good looking 20s, nothing special ..

Yasin.
February 27, 2015, 03:12 AM
is it too much to ask? Soumya Sarkar? bhaiya ekta centuri korba :-p
#ABDevillarsFever

Half century'o cholbey.

Amla, Plessis, Rossouw fever :D

Rana Melb
March 2, 2015, 01:16 AM
<main class="primary"> <section class="col-1-1 main-content"><article class="travel-lhs lhs">
<section class="col-1-1 story-content-main">March 2, 2015 Soumya Sarkar's shot in the dark

Christian Ryan (http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/author.html?author=95) <section class="story-headline col-10-12" style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none">
The long-lasting memory of a young batsman we have never seen before is of that one brilliant shot announcing his arrival
</section><section class="col-1-1 story-content-main"> shares 4
<figure class="video-section col-1-1"> --<figcaption>Soumya Sarkar's wristy whip for four at Manuka Oval was unquestionably the perfect shot for that particular ball © Associated Press </figcaption></figure>In dreams a woman or man you do not know may step out into view, and some quality pressing out of them is so unsettling, yet in such sharp focus, it is like they are sunset-lit. This person, the dreamer realises, will recur in future dreams, always disconcertingly, though never quite with the sting or sick feeling of the first time, and something similar, only rarer, can happen to the watcher, watching cricket. Our most obvious reference point from semi-modern days is David Gower (http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/13418.html).</section>

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/841643.html</section></article></section></main>

Ishmumislam
March 2, 2015, 08:53 AM
his first-class and list A record is sort of bad but my god he looks like a bloody champ while batting ..if i was a neutral i would watch him hit 5 4s and get out anyday over anamul scoring a 100 ..but from a bangladesh fan point of view he needs to me more consistent at least start scoring in the 60s

simon
March 2, 2015, 08:58 AM
if he looks good for 20s/ 30s he better get a 50 vs Scott, that will give him some confidence against Eng & NZ.

Gowza
March 2, 2015, 09:10 AM
his first-class and list A record is sort of bad but my god he looks like a bloody champ while batting ..if i was a neutral i would watch him hit 5 4s and get out anyday over anamul scoring a 100 ..but from a bangladesh fan point of view he needs to me more consistent at least start scoring in the 60s

And he only just improved his list A record this season, but he does look very good so it's worth giving him some chances.

Fazal
March 2, 2015, 10:30 AM
Upto this point, its just some of us, just some fans noticed and saw something special in him without (of-course) not enough stat to back it up. So the question in out mind (and to others) was "Are we over hyping him?".

After reading this article from an outsider and an expert, now we can say in this particular incident, may be we are not wrong, may be he have shown enough to deserve more serious look.

sujon
March 3, 2015, 03:23 PM
Soumya is a stylish eye pleasing bat. His cover drive boundary against Sri Lanka gave me a lot of pleasure. I want him to get established but get nervous when he bats like I do with all of our batsmen. I wish him lots of success.

epitaph
March 4, 2015, 09:39 PM
Again showed excellent technique, but that was one awful over of batting. Ashraful 2.0 possibly.

Habib
March 4, 2015, 09:40 PM
Another Al Shahriar Rokon?

Gandalf
March 4, 2015, 09:49 PM
just give him sometime...it isn't nice calling names

Nadim
March 4, 2015, 09:50 PM
Well Bijoy likely to be out for rest of the games so his got 2/3 games to prove his worth.

So far looks class but gives his wicket away far too easily.

Tiger444
March 4, 2015, 10:27 PM
Well Bijoy likely to be out for rest of the games so his got 2/3 games to prove his worth.

So far looks class but gives his wicket away far too easily.

If he can't sort his temperament out he'll be another Zunaid. Far too early of course. Hope he gets a good amount of chances and can learn from his mistakes

Tiger Manc
March 4, 2015, 11:10 PM
Thought he was brilliant in the field today. Set a new Bangladesh record of 4 catches in a match. The catch of Shakib's bowling was a peach.

Nafi
March 4, 2015, 11:28 PM
worst common and unlucky way to get out (not as unlucky as Riyad though..) strangled down the legside. Big shame, a good score today would have been given him confidence.

ammark
March 5, 2015, 07:18 AM
Seeing the highlights, his dismissal was pathetic. This Ashrafulish type batting won't be a good thing for our team in the long run. So much talent, but it'll be wasted if he doesn't work hard at building a cool temperament and consistency. If anything he should work hard like Sakib, and if he can get a county season he will learn what professionalism is. His type of flash in the pan is very frustrating to watch.

Moh899
March 5, 2015, 07:24 AM
dont know whats holding this guy back from scoring big...but hell...he's holding himself back just like all other players.

Fazal
March 5, 2015, 07:48 AM
But I have mixed feeling...

Yes he failed to take the opportunity that came to him only because of injury. Therefore feeling bad for him.

On the other hand, he didn't clogged the RR when the target is huge i.e. a 40 ball 20 run type innings. As a matter of fact... Tamim and Riyad both rectified their batting strategy, that was also comforting to me. They play will positive intend form the beginning and never let the RR create additional pressure, they took care of the RR from the beginning, and that made other batsman's job (Rahim, Sakib, Sabbir) much easier.

BanCricFan
March 5, 2015, 08:04 AM
Unbelievable talent but needs to deliver now. Must get in first before playing shots. As a fielder, probably even better than Sabbir and Nasir!

jeesh
March 5, 2015, 08:18 AM
Why is Mashrafe not giving him the ball? One or two overs wont harm.

Seems like the captain is doing the same as what Mushfiq used to do with Ziaur Rahman.

Tigers_eye
March 5, 2015, 08:31 AM
What a pair of hands. 4 catches. NO DROPS.

When was the last time a BD fielder took 4 catches?

Yasin.
March 5, 2015, 08:57 AM
What a pair of hands. 4 catches. NO DROPS.

When was the last time a BD fielder took 4 catches?

Never happened. He is the first.

Gowza
March 5, 2015, 09:17 AM
Needs to make a big score soon who he'll lose his spot

Nadim
March 5, 2015, 09:20 AM
England game is very crucial for him. Even a 40 will help him to keep his place for the NZ game.

Now I know why this guy never scores big in domestic cricket even after he getting starts in pretty much every time he bats. He loves to gift his wicket :(

Eshen
March 5, 2015, 09:31 AM
Come on guys, he has played only 4 ODIs so far. He should be given at least 10 ODIs before being judged one way or the other. He should be persisted with in the WC and in the next home series, at least.

Cricket4All
March 5, 2015, 10:03 AM
Come on guys, he has played only 4 ODIs so far. He should be given at least 10 ODIs before being judged one way or the other. He should be persisted with in the WC and in the next home series, at least.

I totally agree with this statement.

sakib12
March 5, 2015, 10:36 AM
not good enough....drop him.....reminds of shahriar nafees

mij
March 5, 2015, 10:51 AM
Dropping him, question doesn't arrive yet I don't know why everyone just talking about it?

Nadim
March 5, 2015, 11:34 AM

Hahahaha didnt you wanted to drop Shabbir after 1/2 failure? Why different opinion on SS?

ahnaf
March 5, 2015, 11:46 AM
Our Mr. Twenty :D

Eshen
March 5, 2015, 11:51 AM
Hahahaha didnt you wanted to drop Shabbir after 1/2 failure? Why different opinion on SS?Did not want to drop him, but did not want to take him either to WC based on his performance on those few matches.

I did not want Soumya either, but now that he is in WC squad, don't find it fair to drop him prematurely.

ammark
March 5, 2015, 11:53 AM
Eshen bhai, you are correct, it's too early to judge so harshly. But if he doesn't develop his game to be more patient, then we will have yet another Ashraful/Aftab/Shahriar Nafees. He has excellent technique and class in his batting. He needs to work on temperament and treating good balls with respect. His past 2 dismissals are cringe-worthy.

Fazal
March 5, 2015, 01:02 PM
I think its too premature to compare Sarkar's failure (so far) to the paramount failures of Ashraful and SN. Ashraful and SN were given opportunities in 10s and 20s of series over almost for a decade where as this is just Sarkar's frist series in his whole career.

This guys was picked up from nowhere, let him play this series and learn from the coaches (and from his mistakes) and see how he grows or fails to grow over next few series. Until then I refuse to compare him with the players like Ash or SN.

NoName
March 5, 2015, 02:18 PM
Yeh kind of harsh to jump the gun on him, its his first series and in Aus/NZ of all places. That is as alien as it gets for him, at least give him a shot in one of our home series.

mufi_02
March 5, 2015, 02:22 PM
he looks like Sanga a bit. or maybe my vision has diabetes.

he has good techniques. good shots. just need to stick around a bit and build the innings. he has what it takes.

Tigerblood99
March 5, 2015, 02:30 PM
http://s8.postimg.org/kb759oozp/image.jpg (http://s8.postimg.org/kb759oozp/image.jpg free picture upload) (http://postimage.org/)

Surprise surprise. He leads the WC in catching for a team with butter hands.

Nadim
March 5, 2015, 02:52 PM
No one is calling himto be drop for the next game. We r just asking to put a price on his wicket that's it.

simon
March 5, 2015, 06:15 PM
very good fielder, needs to score some runs, I will be happy if he gets some run a ball 35/40s for now.

Roey Haque
March 5, 2015, 11:41 PM
Best fielder we ever had? That's not saying much, but is he? I say he is.

Not just about catches, stops, and throws. But just the way he runs in general, like a bonafide athelte.

epitaph
March 6, 2015, 02:29 AM
A new player must play 3 series or for 6 months - whichever comes last - before dropping him is considered. I think most of us are just talking about his poor application/temperament with the bat so far. Not saying we should drop him already.

His avg and decision-making with the bat so far do leave more to be desired and are slightly worrisome. But he has excellent technique and is also a top fielder.

With him, Sabbir, and Nasir, our fielding improves drastically.

BD_TigerZ
March 6, 2015, 04:50 AM
And 130k military mediums if improved gives us good bowling depth.

Eshen
March 7, 2015, 04:26 PM
No one is calling himto be drop for the next game. We r just asking to put a price on his wicket that's it.
You got Tamim and then Riyad currently doing so. You got Mushfiq and Shakib for damage control incase of an early collapse. So you got plenty of brakes.

What we need now is someone to go after opposition bowling during first 10 overs, and set up a good scoring rate for us. Soumya should be exactly doing that.

Rana Melb
March 7, 2015, 04:35 PM
I think somya will do better at down the order. He is bit shaky as an opener. He played in the middle order against IRE n scored 45.
SS needs to do well and that will make our batting stronger. He has the capability to play a devastating innings but he needs to execute in the pitch.

zman
March 8, 2015, 10:47 AM
Eshen bhai, you are correct, it's too early to judge so harshly. But if he doesn't develop his game to be more patient, then we will have yet another Ashraful/Aftab/Shahriar Nafees. He has excellent technique and class in his batting. He needs to work on temperament and treating good balls with respect. His past 2 dismissals are cringe-worthy.
And leave wide balls alone. Unlike out of form batsmen who have trouble hitting anything wide he seems to be in good enough touch to get to them but not with the middle of the bat, which can at times do more harm than good as illustrated in the last match. Agree with everything else also.

MohammedShamim
March 8, 2015, 03:25 PM
Play your normal aggresive game! hopefully it will click V England!

Expecting a brillaint innings, good luck.

BANFAN
March 8, 2015, 05:47 PM
And 130k military mediums if improved gives us good bowling depth.

People are looking for Nazmul, that he will be effective; why Soumya hasn't bowled at all...

Zeeshan
March 8, 2015, 06:39 PM
He is like that Kevin Costner movie Waterworld.

ammark
March 8, 2015, 11:09 PM
Soumya really has to score large today. If he and Riyad f*ck it up now, then there's no 2nd round. They are both opportunistic batsmen, but currently Riyad looks like he is in two minds against the lateral movement.

Again he's chasing outside the offstump! :facepalm:

jeesh
March 8, 2015, 11:14 PM
Seems a little clueless. But then again he is occupying the crease and buying time, and its sth we need.

Nadim
March 8, 2015, 11:24 PM
Lovely timer of the bowl but i honestly believe if he can control his brainfarts, he will be better player than Tamim was pre 2010.

jeesh
March 8, 2015, 11:33 PM
Timing and grace is very Ganguly-ish. Doesnt score much on the on side does he?

Eshen
March 8, 2015, 11:59 PM
Another unlucky out for Soumya. Well played though, after the early departure of the two bolods.

jeesh
March 9, 2015, 12:04 AM
Freak dismissal again. So unfortunate. He was looking good.

Tiger Manc
March 9, 2015, 12:12 AM
He looks real class when he plays those cover drives.

Night_wolf
March 9, 2015, 12:13 AM
Freak dismissal again. So unfortunate. He was looking good.

looks good, starts innings of a flyer, left hander..gets out after flashy 20-40..more more and more reminds me of Zunaid Siddique

jeesh
March 9, 2015, 12:18 AM
True, but Sarkar's technique is better than Siddique. He just needs to figure out how to put value on his wicket. The dismissal against both England and Scotland were like gifting wicket, and could have been easily avoided.

Nasif
March 9, 2015, 12:45 AM
Sarkar is infinitely more technically sound compared to siddique! No comparison there.

WarWolf
March 9, 2015, 12:55 AM
SS has most eye catchy style in the current team. A treat to watch for the eyes.

BengaliPagol
March 9, 2015, 08:55 AM
Sometimes we have to trust sheer talent. It might not hold up at first but talent is talent. A talented batsmen will be able to handle just about any bowlers in the world. People talk about having these types of batsmen come thru but fade away such as Siddique, Jahurul, Ash whatever. But Soumya to me is different. To me it seems like he doesn't get troubled by any bowler. He just goes abt his business.

Young kid in a world cup do or die match watching tamim fall early batting when two wickets were down and still playing glorious strokes with superb timing. He is the real deal. I'm not gonna go saying like other people have done with players like anamul and say he will average 50+ in test cricket but i will say he is going to be a mainstay in the national team.

He could possibly be the real deal in the not too distant future. His knock was very crucial today. And without a doubt he will play some amazing knocks for bangladesh. Lets not forget he is also playing in unfamiliar conditions as a young kid. But you can just see thru his batting he oozes class and confidence. I feel honoured to have conversed with him. A really humble guy. I have absolute faith in this guy.

DarkKnight
March 9, 2015, 09:09 AM
What I like about him is he is unfazed by the fall of early wickets. He just does his own thing and plays his own way. He could be a very valuable asset to our team if he starts to score fifties and hundreds in the near future.

Tigers_eye
March 9, 2015, 09:18 AM
Sarkar is infinitely more technically sound compared to siddique! No comparison there.But he getting up there with the freakish outs.

Tigers_eye
March 9, 2015, 09:19 AM
Sometimes we have to trust sheer talent.....
True that. The name is Atapattu.

Fazal
March 9, 2015, 09:26 AM
Yes to be permanent at #3, he need to score some big innings. But he is still young and new... so far so good... not only he is getting some decent runs to boost his confidence, the way he plays gives us more confidence about him. He never looks over matched, he plays with confidence, he has very decent technique and footwork, he settle down quickly but then he gives up his wicket .

I hope the selectors are patient with him and continue to give him extended opportunity. I am pretty much sure, he will return us back big time..

BengaliPagol
March 9, 2015, 09:28 AM
all his dismissals are soft. Its frustrating but at the same time its exciting cos if he doesn't get out in a soft way imagine wat he can achieve.

mij
March 9, 2015, 09:41 AM
Yes to be permanent at #3, he need to score some big innings. But he is still young and new... so far so good... not only he is getting some decent runs to boost his confidence, the way he plays gives us more confidence about him. He never looks over matched, he plays with confidence, he has very decent technique and footwork, he settle down quickly but then he gives up his wicket .

I hope the selectors are patient with him and continue to give him extended opportunity. I am pretty much sure, he will return us back big time..

:up::up:

aguner_gola
March 9, 2015, 11:01 AM
Can anyone please share highlights of his battings from the SL and ENG match? Keep hearing about the oozing class :)

simon
March 9, 2015, 11:03 AM
since the beginning of this WC I kept saying I have zero expectation on SS :p

Cricket4All
March 9, 2015, 11:13 AM
I would probably give him a run of 15 to 20 ODI matches at #3 which should give us an understanding about his improvement in temperament. He looks really classy and has a decent technique/footwork. We would need Soumya translating his talent into runs in care-free manner if we want to go to the next level as a team. But he does need to score those 50s and 100s during this extended run in order to cement his position in the team.

I'm highly impressed with his batting at #3, hope he makes our best ever one-down batsman and a prolific run scorer.

Shehwar
March 9, 2015, 11:16 AM
Looks a class apart this guy! Gives me goosebumps watching his strokes.

Really hope the talent translates into success.

Jadukor
March 9, 2015, 11:17 AM
I was skeptical of the pretty 20s but now it looks like he is the real deal. Looking more and more impressive every game. If this guy can play this good in these conditions he can really be handy in subcontinental conditions. I am glad we have a genuine option for an opener.

MHRAM
March 9, 2015, 11:23 AM
Gets out in the most unfortunate ways.

But he looks classy, and technically sound.

Fazal
March 9, 2015, 11:28 AM
I was skeptical of the pretty 20s but now it looks like he is the real deal. Looking more and more impressive every game. If this guy can play this good in these conditions he can really be handy in subcontinental conditions. I am glad we have a genuine option for an opener.

Yes. This is not a easy place to play and start your career in the national team.

Neel Here
March 9, 2015, 12:50 PM
this guy is good. he IS classy and doesn't look overwhelmed. most importantly for a cricketer, he kept his head. if there's anything that shows a future good cricketer it's one who isn't dominated by the situation.

what I found notable about him is the amount of time he had for the shots, he was never hurried by the england quicks, until his dismissal.

ammark
March 9, 2015, 01:03 PM
what I found notable about him is the amount of time he had for the shots, he was never hurried by the england quicks, until his dismissal.

His method of dismissal is improving match by match. Today's dismissal was unlucky-ish. But he does have a slight tendency to want to flick/glide/leg glance any good-length delivery on or outside leg stump. Against SL, he played away from his body with little movement and footwork to get caught behind too.

Tigers_eye
March 9, 2015, 01:18 PM
His method of dismissal is improving match by match. Today's dismissal was unlucky-ish. But he does have a slight tendency to want to flick/glide/leg glance any good-length delivery on or outside leg stump. Against SL, he played away from his body with little movement and footwork to get caught behind too.
His aggression what makes him peril. I'd take that instead of blocking 10 overs (Anamul)

Max100
March 9, 2015, 01:49 PM
he is stylist,has proper technique and seems like favourite of all commentators. all we need is big innings from him.

Neel Here
March 9, 2015, 02:01 PM

I know his cover drives had sublime timing and being a leftie some people are comparing him to ganguly.
but the player his style reminded me of was laxman. he has that lazy elegance, the bat whipping the ball in stead of smashing them. but a problem with that kind of style is you are going to have your fair share of soft dismissals, as laxman did as well.

100% sub-continent pedigree though.

tamzid90
March 9, 2015, 02:29 PM
Thank you Ian. You are a legend though. You laid the foundation and now hopefully Streak can go build solidly on it. We are all very proud

hoodlum
March 9, 2015, 03:21 PM
His weaknesses are short balls.

mij
March 9, 2015, 03:31 PM

In that case he should keep pratice short bowling attack.

Fazal
March 9, 2015, 04:05 PM

Most of our batsman have the same problem. Even mighty Indian batsman have similar short pitch problems.

But what he have that lot of our batsman don't have is 'confidence" from the get-go....this kid is full of confidence. This along with good technique will take him a long way up in the ladder... only I hope BCB don't follow the "One mistake and you are out policy" with him.

TigersMeow
March 9, 2015, 04:42 PM
Lack of experience got him out the way he did last two games. I think he is learning every time he falls. I hope he stays modest and just focuses on improving.

He needs a good mentor, someone to keep him grounded and not let bouts of success get to his head, which has ruined so many of our past prospects.

NoName
March 9, 2015, 06:43 PM
He has potential to be a quality batsman

Equinox
March 9, 2015, 07:00 PM
I have liked what I have seen so far. Definitely worth persisting with. Seems to be a favourite of Hathurusinghe as well so will probably be working very closely with him. I wish Mash would utilise his bowling more though.

adamnsu
March 10, 2015, 08:20 AM
Last game the guy hit hit some sweetly timed and placed shot. He still is young and looks good if he is groomed properly.

I think he is a better prospect than Animal Hawk

Tiger444
March 10, 2015, 10:14 AM
Soumya looks like a genuine top order prospect. Still a bit raw but definitely a guy worth persisting with.

I think it's time we look at Anamul as more of a middle order prospect. He just looks out of position batting as an opener. He looks more comfortable once he plays the older ball and can really strike the ball when he's comfortable.

MHRAM
March 10, 2015, 10:22 AM
Anamul is talented but his poor technique doesn't help. For a top order batsman, he has poor footwork.

If anything Anamul is more of a middle order batsman because he can play spinners well and can play aggressively at the latter part of the innings. Opening is not for him.

Fazal
March 10, 2015, 03:54 PM
Anamul is talented but his poor technique doesn't help. For a top order batsman, he has poor footwork.

If anything Anamul is more of a middle order batsman because he can play spinners well and can play aggressively at the latter part of the innings. Opening is not for him.

He can duck, he cannot hide. Putting him in the middle order may not solve his problem. its better to take a break and address his issues and then come back and ready to play anywhere. You cannot rock the batting order to accommodate a young player's need. The young player need to be ready to play any position that is given to him, not the other way around.

Regardless where he plays, he need to work on:

1. his foot work.
2. take seriously about his fielding. Inconsistent fielding is not good for his career.
3. need to learn how to take risk free singles. Doesn't matter where he plays, there is no room in ODI to block 5 balls in a row.
4. Don't know what he need to do to address that, but he need to play more confidently from the get go whether he plays as opener or in the middle or lower end. Most of the recent time, he looks soo clueless at the beginning, cheletake dheke maya-ee lage. Compare that with SS, see how confidently he plays from the beginning... reminds me of Sakib.

Nadim
March 10, 2015, 04:03 PM
My advice is to you is that pls don't become another motu...

BengaliPagol
March 10, 2015, 05:18 PM
Anamul to me seems like a #6 type player. If he can break out of his shackles he can hit the ball well. He doesn't seem to be playing his natural game.

Tiger444
March 10, 2015, 06:07 PM
I'd consider him for the #6 spot. That way he can keep and then Mushy could be sent up to 3. Or he could be a first choice backup as a middle order batsman as I'd pick him over Mominul in ODI's.

I know he's a player that's frustrated us despite some very solid stats but he's still a very handy player. He can bat from 3-7 and can keep. He's got a good set of skills. I wouldn't just throw him out of the team. He's still a player worth investing in imo for T20I's and ODI's.

Yasin.
March 12, 2015, 09:54 PM
First half century in ODIs. Hopefully the first of many!

Congrats!

al-Sagar
March 12, 2015, 11:26 PM
saw him batting for the first time today ...... and I was impressed ...... if nurtured properly can be an amazing batsman for us

oronnya
March 12, 2015, 11:34 PM
I am liking this boy !!! good find !! Hope he continues in the same manner !!

IanW
March 13, 2015, 12:09 AM
Sorry if this was answered up-thread, but is he related to Hanan Sarker ?

Navo
March 13, 2015, 12:11 AM
Sorry if this was answered up-thread, but is he related to Hanan Sarker ?

No, he's not.

Congratulations on your first 50, SS!

IanW
March 13, 2015, 12:47 AM
No, he's not.

Congratulations on your first 50, SS!

Thanks for that.

Mas_UK25
March 13, 2015, 01:08 AM
Sarkar has impressed me. Three times (were against Afg, Eng, NZ) now he has helped his team break the shackles from poor early start.

Well done Sarkar on the 1st 50.

RazabQ
March 13, 2015, 01:47 AM
dammit, Guptil playing waaaay too well!

Jadukor
March 13, 2015, 01:48 AM
Soumia improving every game. May it continue in the QF

jeesh
March 13, 2015, 01:55 AM
He's a very handy pacer. Not just running in and bowling like Zia or Farhad Reza. Everything on line, and a few cutters and slower deliveries as well. Decent pace too.

Underused by Mashrafee imo

Gowza
March 13, 2015, 01:56 AM
He's a great prospect, hope he continues to rise, exciting player to watch.

sujon
March 13, 2015, 02:02 AM
Last game the guy hit hit some sweetly timed and placed shot. He still is young and looks good if he is groomed properly.

I think he is a better prospect than Animal Hawk

ভাইরে, একজন মানুষ কে animal বলা কি ঠিক? নিজেকে প্রশ্ন করুন।

BD_TigerZ
March 13, 2015, 08:04 AM
any footage of his bowling?

Tiger444
March 13, 2015, 08:10 AM
Finally a real top order prospect. Haven't had 1 since Tamim. Hope he keeps improving on his temperament.

roman
March 13, 2015, 08:31 AM
I liked what I saw so far. But didn't like the way he threw his wicket away after reaching 50. Typical BD shot that was

Fazal
March 13, 2015, 08:33 AM
Yes I all agree you folks. The way he bats, the style, the approach, the mentality, you can tell he is different. I was just hoping that he need a 50 in his early carrier, and he did it.

Even though the way he is getting out it hurts me, I can be patient and I hope he will learn and grow in that aspect.

IF he can come from almost nowhere without any media hype, I firmly believe there may be few more gems still waiting in local league ready and prepared.

Its too late now, but after the WC, I hope BCB will give few new players ( Litton, Rony, ??) some chance to address our opening pair problem. I believe these confident young players would have done much better than what we just witnessed by our Tamim-Imrul pair.

Tamim-Imrul came aaar jujur bhoyee pant nosto kore aka-kar... then entered Sarkar suddenly these super monster became so manageable. While tamim-Imrul magnified the problem, Sarkar diminished the problem within few overs.

mufi_02
March 13, 2015, 09:56 AM
A very good prospect. I like his fearless and selfish approach. A new player in a massive tournament like this would tuk tuk to cement his spot. But stood up to challenge and counter attacks.

He should bowl more as well. With his 120-130k he can easily bowl 4-5 overs.

Plus an excellent fielder too.

Dilscoop
March 13, 2015, 04:22 PM
Needs to open! ATM he's basically opening.

icricket
March 13, 2015, 05:12 PM
What a player, mashAllah. I hope and pray that he'll get better and better as he plays more matches. Keep up the good work, Soumya :)

simon
March 14, 2015, 07:24 PM
he is playing like he has tons of experience in these conditions,brilliant.

So I was wondering why tamim & kaedge are getting out whereas a young new comer is scoring at a 100 strike rate.
I think Tamim & KAedge should learn from Soumya, no point blocking, just go for the shots, because when you play shots bowlers get nervous and bowl defensively, but if you are trying to survive the bowler will keep on attacking you.

Rifat
March 14, 2015, 09:24 PM
ভাইরে, একজন মানুষ কে animal বলা কি ঠিক? নিজেকে প্রশ্ন করুন।

:big_hug: :) wonderful post.

al-Sagar
March 14, 2015, 11:01 PM
Needs to open! ATM he's basically opening.

ditto ....... he and anamul opening ........ unless there is still something left in tamim ... ...

simon
March 15, 2015, 09:19 AM
ditto ....... he and anamul opening ........ unless there is still something left in tamim ... ...

Tamim is left-handed

BanCricFan
March 20, 2015, 11:17 AM
Amidst all the Sarkar Mania one thing has gone almost unnoticed: the obvious discomfort of playing the ball aimed at his body. Jordan's wicket was an indication and Yadav's working over against the guilty was an evidence.

SS has to address this as soon as possible -if he wants to be successful at the international level.

Cricket4All
March 20, 2015, 11:28 AM
^^ In addition to your valid assessment I would like to point out that he might actually have temperament problem as well. He needs to concentrate long enough in the middle which is required to score big hundred.

I like him a lot and his talent is obvious, but hope he rectifies his temperament and technical flaws as soon as possible.

Fazal
March 20, 2015, 12:11 PM
Temperamental problem? Yes
Technical problem? Its nothing compared with our other technically flawed batsman.

Its not the best time or place to begin your career in the national level... the foreign pitch, the atmosphere, etc...

I am confidence that over time he will address those. Its more fixable than some other technical flaws.

BanCricFan
March 20, 2015, 12:32 PM
^^ In addition to your valid assessment I would like to point out that he might actually have temperament problem as well. He needs to concentrate long enough in the middle which is required to score big hundred.

I like him a lot and his talent is obvious, but hope he rectifies his temperament and technical flaws as soon as possible.

He has a great off side game. But on side seems to be very iffy. Soumya MUST work on pull shots. Without that the bowlers will pepper him with short stuff. He also needs to learn how to sway away from them or duck. For the ODIs pull and hook will be very much required.

I think his freakish outs probably are due to nerves, big stage and inexperience. We need to see more of him to have a better understanding. The boy needs to play a good number of FC cricket. He is a great prospect. :)

Kohli_Sox
March 20, 2015, 12:40 PM
He is the Ganguly of bangladesh. Great through the off sides. Rubbish at shorter stuff.

BanCricFan
March 20, 2015, 12:51 PM
But, he has time on his side to turn his weakness into strength. Gangu was just rubbish and a FTB.

Jadukor
March 20, 2015, 10:50 PM
Getting out after getting good starts worries me. In international cricket the first year is always good because the opposition do not know your weaknesses. He needs to cash in on the form and the positive start to his career. If he turns out to be half a cricketer ganguly was we will do very well as a team

Rana Melb
March 21, 2015, 08:31 PM

Bhai re liton ke chance dawa jai na?

Rifat
March 21, 2015, 08:34 PM
I do not see him as a Test Batsmen Material. I would love to eat the humble pie on this one.

Cricket4All
March 28, 2015, 04:09 AM
His job in ODI would be to bat for 40 overs as no #3 batsman and let everyone else bat around him.

tiger1000
March 28, 2015, 06:35 AM
To be honest, he's weak against aggressive short bowling, he's got mediocre technique, but Damn he's got some hiting power, guy doesn't need to middle it and ball goes flying.. Good prospect.

BD_TigerZ
March 28, 2015, 11:20 AM
To be honest, he's weak against aggressive short bowling, he's got mediocre technique, but Damn he's got some hiting power, guy doesn't need to middle it and ball goes flying.. Good prospect.

His techniques better than some of our senior players..

Rifat_02
March 28, 2015, 11:27 AM
This guy is the future of our top order, some of the shots he plays are so classy and confident, even ashraful at his best wasn't as classy, what he needs to improve is not giving his wicket away easily when set

Kohli_Sox
March 28, 2015, 02:26 PM

His technique is not mediocre. He has obvious weakness against short bowling but he can always improve on that

One World
March 28, 2015, 05:19 PM
^ I was also thinking the same line. The way he handled the Kiwi Swing duo was phenomenal. I think he stands ahead of some of the number 3's among top teams in terms of style and talent.

Rifat
March 28, 2015, 05:34 PM
I take my words back, I think he may have a future in test cricket. Just Like we threw Shakib, Tamim, Mushfiq in the deep end, maybe it's time we also do the same with Sarkar, Sabbir. Maybe because he won't feel rushed....although for him to break into the test team, there is stiff competition ahead, which is always a good news for Bangladesh.

BengaliPagol
March 28, 2015, 08:23 PM
if he doesnt hurry too much in test cricket and sticks to timing the ball then test cricket would actually be his best format imo because without a doubt he will be able to handle the new ball.

tejkuni
March 28, 2015, 08:50 PM
if he doesnt hurry too much in test cricket and sticks to timing the ball then test cricket would actually be his best format imo because without a doubt he will be able to handle the new ball.

Besides, his bowling will be useful for the captain in Test match.

Ajfar
March 28, 2015, 10:53 PM
Almost all of our top order batsman was not fluent against short balls when they started playing for BD. Soumya is no difference. Soumya is a work in progress, but potential is certainly there. I want to see him compete against Anamul for the opening slot. I'm tired of us having 3 opener in the line up just because we can't get a partnership going at the beginning of the order.

ammark
April 19, 2015, 07:59 AM
Soumya is a different kind of beast. So effortless for him to get the gaps.

BUT... anything swingy on good length outside the offstump, he has just appalling technique. Stands still with little movement and plays away from his body.

Now thats exactly how he's :outbad:

tanvir_nus
April 19, 2015, 08:04 AM
A 20 year old guys. 20 years remember that. With his fielding abilities he should be in the team anyways. And he has it i him. Just need to respect the bowlers a bit after hitting some boundaries

al-Sagar
April 19, 2015, 09:47 AM
Soumya is a different kind of beast. So effortless for him to get the gaps.

BUT... anything swingy on good length outside the offstump, he has just appalling technique. Stands still with little movement and plays away from his body.

Now thats exactly how he's :outbad:

I want to see a good innings from him in the last match ......

he is surely the next big thing .....

Mas_UK25
April 19, 2015, 09:56 AM
Soumya did fine, he got the team off to a flyer. Hence, it helped calm some early nerves. I salute him for the aggressive shots. It was one those targets sometimes its best if you have one just goo boom boom and get the team off to flyer which will help ease some nerves.

WarWolf
April 19, 2015, 10:06 AM
Let's persist with him. He will deliver big. He has already a good impact in the batting side with his fearless attitude.

Rifat
April 19, 2015, 10:12 AM
Agree with all of you. We should give him a go in tests.

hoodlum
April 19, 2015, 10:15 AM
He plays like Ganguly. I hope he is consistent

rinathq
April 19, 2015, 12:37 PM
just need to some little adjustments by Haturi da......... Soumya and an inoform Tamim can give us the much needed boost early on

Eshen
April 19, 2015, 12:46 PM
Not writing him off yet, but he needs to start valuing opportunities given to him better.

I like to see Rony given a chance in the 3rd ODI in his place (Soumya can be back for the T20I).

BD_TigerZ
April 19, 2015, 12:50 PM
He's still raw and young but ahead of many openers we have in the domestic circuit. Give him time. Better than Anamul

DarkKnight
April 19, 2015, 12:53 PM
His flying starts are very much needed in the powerplay overs. Just needs to work on some issues with the coaches and then I think he is our long-term solution for the opening slot!

MHRAM
April 19, 2015, 12:56 PM
His issue lies with getting out at the wrong time. Looks really good when he gets the ball rolling and also when on the defence.

However, I would want to give Rony a chance instead of Soumya just to test out the combinations.

Roey Haque
April 19, 2015, 12:57 PM
Not sure yet about his batting. But easily the best fielder we ever had? Yeah? I think so.

Eshen
April 19, 2015, 01:20 PM
I do think this guys has talent. But I found it very disturbing this morning how he was throwing his bat around like a pure slogger. He got lucky, edged couple of boundaries, but fall of his wicket was just a matter of time. This morning he seemed just another Zunaid Siddique, perhaps with little bit more aggression, but similar appalling footwork and lack of control over his shots.

zman
April 19, 2015, 01:33 PM
^Ditto...it's too early to anoint him the next Ganguli. He's got amazing touch no doubt when he pulls them off but he's still got a lot to prove. His innings are always very streaky and now that the old Tamim is back he's got to learn how to put a steep price on his wicket.

meazz1
April 19, 2015, 04:04 PM
Soumya did fine, he got the team off to a flyer. Hence, it helped calm some early nerves. I salute him for the aggressive shots. It was one those targets sometimes its best if you have one just goo boom boom and get the team off to flyer which will help ease some nerves.

I approved this, plus the catch at slip was a good one too!