PDA

View Full Version : For us to be among the elite...

Tigers_eye
July 4, 2012, 06:19 PM
It would still take some time. Say 15 plus years. Why 15 plus?

1) Look at Dravid and what he does now. He inspires the youngsters. Who is our Dravid? Where is our inspiration who would go to the masses and promote cricket. I know what Pilot and Rajin is trying to do. Two ex-captains doing it in their own ways as much as they can. But we would need our super stars Mash, Ash, Shakib to do that. They will be around another 5-10 years and would not be able to spend considerable amount of time.

2) Imran Khan: We don't have a player who has the position to dictate everything on his terms. Shakib could become that in few years but he have to win a lot more significant matches. But we don't have an Imran.

Structure is important but inspiration is greater than any structure can provide. Motivation is the first step to have the confidence. Plus the structure we have, it not that shabby either (barring quality of wickets).

Say you what?

Raynman
July 4, 2012, 09:34 PM
Tests : Current FTPs and international calendar and the politics at play will make it too difficult for us to be in the elite any time in the near future. Not only us, countries like WI, NZ and even SL will struggle as well.

ODIs : the outlook here is better but still a good number of years away.

T20s : probably the best format for us to move up the ranks. A solid continuation of BPL will help.

In any of the formats competition is key. Unless we can entice decent foreign talent to play in the domestics or come up with those special talents that strike fear (Gayle, Afridi, McGrath, Warne etc.) in opponents, 15 years might not be enough.

bujhee kom
July 5, 2012, 12:02 AM
Say you what?

Bodda Mijanul Akbar dada, ki bolchen?? Amar kaachey tow money hoi se aro 215 bochor lagbey!! Toto-diney Insallah, Mayanmar, all of Dokkhin Asia Chagol-naiya Jelar ekta khudro Ongse poorinoto hobey. Akbar dada, amar ajiboner sopno, ekdin, maybe many many centuries later, but Ekdiin, One day, amar, nati-puti-rai, amar Bongsodhorera Russia shashon korbey!! Ki jani Mijan dada, apni ekjon Bora Boozoorgaan Manoos, Apni dua korley, Allah chailey, ke janey within 15 years-o hoye jete parey!! Tahole tow bolbo I am super lucky, amar ei joboddosatei hoito ami eta dekhey jete parbo.

ma_o_mati
July 5, 2012, 01:19 AM
There is no short cut. All the players have to work hard and push themselves hard. The only player who gives his best while playing is Shakib. Its not how much one trains but how much one is mentally tough enough to push himself to the limit. We cant be among elites or among anything for that matter with mediocre player. Find 10 more shakib and you might not have to wait even 5 years.

Shakib is challenging all the other players around the world. While we do not have a single player that can challenge shakib. That tells you a lot.

Zeeshan
July 5, 2012, 01:44 AM
Structure is important but inspiration is greater than any structure can provide. Motivation is the first step to have the confidence. Plus the structure we have, it not that shabby either (barring quality of wickets).

It's a very critical point. No two person is alike and you can have a superinfrastructure, superior technique, military discipline and what not, but if you are not enthused to perform, you will be mediocre at it's best. It's the passion and emotion that knows no bound and wins matches.

To put in the words of great detective from Baker street himself:

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself. Talent instantly recognizes genius.

Having said Ashraful, Aftab, Junaid, Tamim and I think majority of the player are of intuitionist typ (if one must label). This is where Siddons went wrong by trying to douse water on their passion and tweaking a technique so much as to thwart the original "Faulty" personality so as to diffuse them. Yes, not much of a Siddons fan here, Law made progress and it remains to be seen how Pybus adjusts.

I think one should strike a balance between a monotonous, drill and fluency. (I mentioned previously I think, just like Howard Gardner's model, one can learn a languge from boring grammar books doing endless exercises, or alternately from immersion in a culture, watching movies, on a physical date, etc or mixture.

A genius coach should identify each player's deficiency and positives on how they assimilate information or learn new materials quickly. Each has his or her own path and a master shouldn't impede their personal growth. You cannot just lump everyone in a cookie cutter mold.......

Edit: In the same vein I am sure the coaches vary the training session. Boring, predictable training session impedes progress, yet muscles grow, synapses increase if the challenge is just above their level and comes in different forms. Some scoff when they see -yes Level 3 coach - playing them soccer, yet soccer deals with gross motor skills, where indoor sports like billiard with fine motor skills. Crosspolination exercises different parts of brain and therein lies creativity.

BANFAN
July 5, 2012, 06:35 PM

1) Look at Dravid and what he does now. He inspires the youngsters. Who is our Dravid? Where is our inspiration who would go to the masses and promote cricket. I know what Pilot and Rajin is trying to do. Two ex-captains doing it in their own ways as much as they can. But we would need our super stars Mash, Ash, Shakib to do that. They will be around another 5-10 years and would not be able to spend considerable amount of time.

2) Imran Khan: We don't have a player who has the position to dictate everything on his terms. Shakib could become that in few years but he have to win a lot more significant matches. But we don't have an Imran.

Say you what?

:up: agreed except the time frame... In next five we are expected to improve more than we improved in last 5 years, given the improvements in structure and increased competitions at the domestic level. That should make us capable of competing much more than now and next five should make us among the elites ...

Motivation is important but Motivation without skill is useless at this level. Motivation doesn't necessary need the players to retire...if we can have 2/3 other players achieve what Shak achieved... That should make the youth more confident and motivated and inject belief in their abilities to reach or supersede their achievements too...and if we don't have a couple others at that level in next 5 yrs, we have to wait for a quarter of a century to reach the elites. .....

al Furqaan
July 5, 2012, 06:42 PM
I think 15 years is a feasible and realistic expectation. Given that 5 years represents about a cricketing generation maybe, that gives us 3 generations of development. Those 5 year hopes we had back in the day now look rather foolish and myopic.

Gowza
July 5, 2012, 06:55 PM
depends on what we are calling elite. but with how things are currently and the potential improvement within the BD team and comparing it to others, then Bd should be up with teams like india, pakistan. at least in one-dayers. we should be ahead of zimbabwe, NZ, probably west indies to (for west indies it depends on guys like narine, bravo, edwards, barath, russell etc how far they can develop) and even probably ahead of sri lanka (they really don't have anyone coming through who are outstanding talents, their best are mathews, chandimal and the spinner prasana).

matches with them will still be tough but i would expect BD to be favourites against these teams in ODIs in 5 years. in tests we will probably satill be grouped with them, the jump is tougher in tests, i expect we will be a lot better in tests in 5 years but it also depends on how many matches BD gets.

not making any predictions on T20s, it's impossible.

the way i see it right now south africa and england are ahead of the pack, certainly in tests they are the elite at current, the rest are chasing them atm.

Zeeshan
July 5, 2012, 08:21 PM
Although it is a great thread, I think the bearing is rather moot really. After all isn't ars gratia ars and it doesn't really matter where in terms of ranking one stands? Does it take anything away from a game, say Cardiff 100, where Bangladesh was not an elite?

fiasnahk
July 5, 2012, 11:00 PM
I think 15 years is a feasible and realistic expectation. Given that 5 years represents about a cricketing generation maybe, that gives us 3 generations of development. Those 5 year hopes we had back in the day now look rather foolish and myopic.

In normal cases 5 years would make a generation, as you would lose some seniors and bring in new blood every 5 years. However with bangladesh its kinda different. All the players are young and would be looking to play 10-15 years more, if they are good enough, before retiring.

playmaker
July 6, 2012, 03:55 AM
thinking that we need more than 10 years to become a top cricket nation is a bit too much. A few years back WI were expected to go down below irish in terms of ranking and performance and now look at their team sheet: Gayle, pollard, Bravos, samuels, sammy, narine, rampaul, simmons, russel, smith,.............. they beat Aussies back at home and fought well against England who are invincible back at home, and at present making a total mockery of new-zealand.

My point is if our players play around the world they can become quality players. With them playing in leagues like SLPL and BPL they can learn a hell lot by playing alongside players of different calibers and playing in different environment under the supervision of well played and highly professional coaches.

So im hopeful of the fact that our players can develop quickly into top players.

kalpurush
July 6, 2012, 05:52 AM
With Shakib, Tamim, Mushy, Mollah, Nasir, Sunny - I see hope, a lot of it. At least in ODI and T20.

About Test, I am not sure if the game itself would exist or not (due to lack of interests from fans and cricket boards - time and money is the main two factors here IMHO).

Leafs PWN
July 6, 2012, 08:45 AM
I think 10 years is what it will take us, not more than that. By that time, this group will be vastly experienced, and we will have a new set of Shakib's/Tamim's in the team. I can confidently say this because of 2 reasons:

1) The current players are a bigger role for kids than any players before were. There will be more kids, and more motivation in general for people to get into serious cricket.
2) The new structure BCB has implemented will give cricketers more of a reason to take risks, and try for a professional career in cricket

We will be a team which perenially threatens to make it to the semi's and more in 10 years. That's my prediction.

wasi90lkv1
July 18, 2012, 06:32 PM
we can become a powerhouse in LOI format.

in the test format, we will never become one i think. we barely take test format seriously.