PDA

View Full Version : Your first "international" cricket match

Zunaid
July 9, 2012, 09:26 PM
What was the first international cricket match you saw live in a stadium? I use the term 'international' very loosely as you can see from my first. I was 13 and this was my first match of any kind at a stadium. My uncle, who is a cricket fanatic took me to watch the game, when we were visiting them in Rajshahi on a vacation trip back to Bangladesh. I watched parts of day 2 and 3.

That began my love affair with cricket. My wife refers to cricket as my other woman.

Jan 3, 1979 - Bangladesh v Marylebone Cricket Club

Cannot find the scorecards anywhere. WIndian Conrad Hunte scored a 1/2 century or so and Lintu had a pfeiffer.

This is the scorecard as available today:

Date-stamped : 18 Oct1998 - 10:38
MCC in Bangladesh, 1978-79
Bangladesh XI v MCC
Rajshahi
3,4,5 January 1979 (3-day match)

Result: Match drawn

Toss:
Umpires:

MCC: 247
(JA Jameson 59, BL Reed 48, CC Hunte 38, S Dyson 33;
Nazrul Kader Lintu 5-70, Yousuf Babu 3-36)

Bangladesh XI: 173
(Omar Khalid Rumi 33, Ziul Islam Masood 33;
PJ Lewington 3-23)

MCC: 114/1d
(CC Hunte 55*, K Taylor 35)

Bangladesh XI: 104/2
(Omar Khalid Rumi 35)

<END> Contributed by Louis van Dompselaar (louis@cricinfo.com)

TigerEz
July 9, 2012, 10:16 PM
It was 1997. I was about 2/3 years old. Was living in madaripur then, didn't movie to Dhaka till i was about 5. And the match was India vs Pakistan! Now i know u might think that im lying, but please dont think any of that because none of this is a lie. I gathered all this facts from my parents, grandparents and uncles. It was a super a super six match from 1999 world cup. The match started somewhere around midnight i think and all my family members were up for it and how can a 3 year old like me miss it? So i started watching from the first ball and i stopped when the match ended. Watched it all night without sleeping for a minute! My family has always been a cricketing family and lucky for me, that they passed on those genes! So thats it for my first match...Basically i watched the whole match and since then I started loving cricket, i still love cricket and i will always love cricket till death!..

Zunaid
July 9, 2012, 10:23 PM
It was 1997. I was about 2/3 years old. Was living in madaripur then, didn't movie to Dhaka till i was about 5. And the match was India vs Pakistan! Now i know u might think that im lying, but please dont think any of that because none of this is a lie. I gathered all this facts from my parents, grandparents and uncles. It was a super a super six match from 1999 world cup. The match started somewhere around midnight i think and all my family members were up for it and how can a 3 year old like me miss it? So i started watching from the first ball and i stopped when the match ended. Watched it all night without sleeping for a minute! My family has always been a cricketing family and lucky for me, that they passed on those genes! So thats it for my first match...Basically i watched the whole match and since then I started loving cricket, i still love cricket and i will always love cricket till death!..

Were you live at the stadium in Madaripur? Didn't know Madaripur hosted the 1999 WC.

You dumped again without thinking. Tsk.Tsk.

The post was about games you have seen LIVE at the STADIUM.

TigerEz
July 9, 2012, 10:26 PM
oh mybad! it was on TV...go ahead and take the post of

Nasif
July 9, 2012, 10:44 PM
I have never seen a live match until BD vs Pak practice match during WC 2011. So, I will start off with TV match (off topic) ;)

First live match on TV:
It was the match between Ind and Pak during 1988 Asia Cup. This is the match when Abdul Quadir bowled with an apple during one delivery (it was a joke) and batsman smashed it (literally). I think this was a practice match. We were watching it on TV, and thats the first match I can remember. This tournament made me a cricket fan.

First live match at Stadium:
After following cricket for almost 2 decades, I watched my first live match during last year's WC; BD vs PAK practice match. We played quite well. Not surprisingly, I lost my voice, screaming and shouting. There was a real comedian sitting next me. Guy was poking fun at Gul who was fielding long-on area. Every time Gul was near the ropes, he didn't miss the chance to shout something at him (not swearing). He also told me he never missed any international match of BD in Dhaka (not sure if he was bluffing). It was an exciting match and for sometime BD was playing really good (we were hoping for a win). Even though it wasn't a win, I was satisfied with my first experience of a live international match!

Zunaid
July 9, 2012, 10:50 PM
Well - if you want to do first TV match too - then my first TV match was the 1969 Test between Pakistan and New Zealand at Dhaka. 3rd Test. At least I remember that. I might have seen the previous two Tests two if they were shown on Dhaka TV.

Between 1983 and 1989, I did not miss a single international cricket match in Dhaka.

Zunaid
July 9, 2012, 10:59 PM
oh mybad! it was on TV...go ahead and take the post of

It's fine. I like to give you a hard time. So what was your first international cricket match live in the stadium (if you've had that opportunity)?

Zunaid
July 9, 2012, 11:02 PM
I have never seen a live match until BD vs Pak practice match during WC 2011. So, I will start off with TV match (off topic) ;)

First live match on TV:
It was the match between Ind and Pak during 1988 Asia Cup. This is the match when Abdul Quadir bowled with an apple during one delivery (it was a joke) and batsman smashed it (literally). I think this was a practice match. We were watching it on TV, and thats the first match I can remember. This tournament made me a cricket fan.

I was actually at the stadium for that match. It wasn't a practice match - it was a benefit match. The match was a farce. Those of us at the stadium were disgusted. We wanted to see good cricket not their physio Irani bowling.

TigerEz
July 9, 2012, 11:12 PM
It's fine. I like to give you a hard time. So what was your first international cricket match live in the stadium (if you've had that opportunity)?

Never :'( if i was living in Bangladesh right now then i would've definitely gone to a match but didnt have that luck...maybe if Allah wants me to in the future then i will.

And u like to give me a hard time??? what does that mean?? :o

Isnaad
July 9, 2012, 11:16 PM
TigerEz, if you are 15 years old, how were you 2/3 years old in 1997? Get the facts right.

TigerEz
July 9, 2012, 11:20 PM
^sorry...i meant 1999

Isnaad
July 9, 2012, 11:25 PM
My first international cricket match on TV:
It was a match between Pakistan and another team I do not remember. 1996/1997 it was. All I remember is that Saeed Anwar was batting very well. I wasn't old enough so I do not remember much about that game.
My first international cricket match in the stadium:
It was back in 2006. The match was between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. One sided match. Zimbabwe scored 147 I think. Bangladesh chased it down easily with 8 wickets in hand. Aftab Ahmed was the man of the match for a very well constructed innings of 80 odd runs. He hit two sixes. The experience was not as good as I expected it to be.
Since then, I have been to 8 matches. Bangladesh won 4 and lost 4. The wins include our victory over England in the World Cup and victory over India in the Asia Cup. I consider myself to be very lucky :)

Zunaid
July 9, 2012, 11:27 PM
TigerEz, if you are 15 years old, how were you 2/3 years old in 1997? Get the facts right.

See? I'm not the only one that gives you a hard time. It has to do with what's in your sig.

habfreak
July 9, 2012, 11:29 PM
LOL @ the conversation above.

Back on topic, my first cricket match that had ODI status would be Bangladesh VS Pakistan at the Dhaka/Bangabandhu stadium..I honestly can't remember what year or what tournament. All i remember is Wasim Akram opened the bowling and for Pakistan and Shipon (Or was it Sajid?) was opening for Bangladesh. LOL that was a horrible story...i hardly remember anything at all! :(

A more prominent memory will be my first test...which I'm sure was a first for many members on this forum...the first test match Bangladesh ever played! I remember a random middle aged guy hugging me and bursting inn to tears after Bulbul raised his bat after reaching 100. He said something about how Bangladeshi players could never could make it to the Pakistan team before 1971 and how gratifying it was to see Bangladesh host it's own test match. Ahh memories... :)

TigerEz
July 9, 2012, 11:34 PM
See? I'm not the only one that gives you a hard time. It has to do with what's in your sig.

Its ur words...i just tweaked it a bit...and Isnaad's just another kid..so i give less about him!..lolz...ur different

TigerEz
July 9, 2012, 11:36 PM
My first international cricket match on TV:
It was a match between Pakistan and another team I do not remember. 1996/1997 it was. All I remember is that Saeed Anwar was batting very well. I wasn't old enough so I do not remember much about that game.
My first international cricket match in the stadium:
It was back in 2006. The match was between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. One sided match. Zimbabwe scored 147 I think. Bangladesh chased it down easily with 8 wickets in hand. Aftab Ahmed was the man of the match for a very well constructed innings of 80 odd runs. He hit two sixes. The experience was not as good as I expected it to be.
Since then, I have been to 8 matches. Bangladesh won 4 and lost 4. The wins include our victory over England in the World Cup and victory over India in the Asia Cup. I consider myself to be very lucky :)

ooh lala...wat a luck charm!:notworthy:

lamisa
July 9, 2012, 11:46 PM
my first stadium experience was at SCG. it was an ODI match between australia and india.aussies won that match, brett lee hit a 6 off the 3rd last delivery or 2nd last, i can't remember exactly and took a single off the next delivery and won aussies the match. oh, there were no more wickets left either. what a thriller that match was!!! :D

Isnaad
July 9, 2012, 11:47 PM
Its ur words...i just tweaked it a bit...and Isnaad's just another kid..so i give less about him!..lolz...ur different

First of all, I am elder than you bro :) Secondly, we are in no competition. Well, all I can say is, my thinking was much more rational when I was 15 years old. :)

Navo
July 10, 2012, 12:16 AM
It was 1999 and a Test nation was making an official tour to Bangladesh for the first time. The West Indies arrived for 2 ODIs and a 3 day match (http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/series/61950.html) against us, led by Lara and managed by Clive Lloyd. My father had managed to acquire VIP tickets for the 2 ODIs, so for 9-year-old me, who had been raised on tales of Sobers, Viv, Holding and Lloyd, it was an opportunity of a lifetime.

I can recall the feeling of immense excitement but I find it more interesting to think about the three most abiding memories from those two days. I remember seeing one of the huge sixes hit by Ricardo Powell rocket in my direction, a white projectile emerging from a blur of willow and magenta. Even though I saw Lara steam roll our bowlers, it was that image that still remains seared in my mind.

The other two memories do not concern action on the cricket field, though they are directly related to it. My father and I had seats near the players dressing room and I remember my young self talking (and being thrown in the air and caught) by Mehrab Hossain Opi (http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/55970.html). Opi had just scored Bangladesh's first ODI hundred that year (against Zimbabwe) and I was over the moon about the fact that I had got to meet him.

At about the same time, Lara came out of the West Indies dressing room with a few white cricket balls in his hands. His mind seemed to be elsewhere and he was looking into the distance, away from the audience. Maybe it's the only time till date that I have been in the presence of genius.

You can only imagine my elation when, at the end of the tournament, I was able to return home with my autograph book filled with the signatures of the people named above.

crikss
July 10, 2012, 01:07 AM
1998 Pakistan vs West Indies (mini bisshocup) in Dhaka - I think that was the first time any major tournament took placed in Bangladesh.

Nocturnal
July 10, 2012, 01:11 AM
duplicate thread ... lol
First ever watched an international cricket game live from Stadium (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=20155)

Nocturnal
July 10, 2012, 01:13 AM
quoting myself :)
My first ever ODI live from stadium was Ind vs Pak in 1988 Asia Cup in dhaka with my dad. I was too young too go by myself. And my first test match (watching from the stadium) was Bangladesh's first test against India in 2000.

Nocturnal
July 10, 2012, 01:28 AM
man! I'm going through that old thread and having fun .....

5 yrs ago : almost accurate ... only 3 days lol

My first International: Bangladesh vs. MCC @ Rajshahi circa 1978. The one with Conrade Hunte, Ted Clarke et al.

My first ICC International: Sri Lanka vs. Pakistan, Asia Cup, Dhaka Stadium, 27 October, 1988 (Watched all the matches at Dhaka)

Zunaid
July 10, 2012, 01:33 AM
Hah. Good dig. :)

Haven't changed my story. Circa 1978. Jan 3 1979 is damn good for my age.

Though I had forgotten about the old thread. :)

Naimul_Hd
July 10, 2012, 01:50 AM
AFAIR, My first live international match was 2nd Final Match between India and Pakistan of Independence Cup 97/98 in Bangabondhu National Stadium (Dhaka Stadium). The tournament was organized to celebrate Silver Jubilee of Bangladesh Independence. India lost that match badly.

Nocturnal
July 10, 2012, 01:54 AM
Hah. Good dig. :)

Haven't changed my story. Circa 1978. Jan 3 1979 is damn good for my age.

Though I had forgotten about the old thread. :)

that was pretty accurate ...
and I only remembered about the old one cause I opened that .. hehe

Rabz
July 10, 2012, 02:20 AM
First at the Stadium : December 1993. SAARC Championship (Forgot the exact name).
BD V Pak/SL A Team.
That tournament featured Bangladesh National team and the A teams from the rest 3.

First match on TV I can remember (not counting the ones when I was 6 months old) :
Asia Cup back in '88.

Nasif bhai, the match you are talking about, was it Qadir or Imran Khan who threw the apple ball ??

MohammedC
July 10, 2012, 03:10 AM
1999 WC

Chelmsford: Bangladesh vs New Zealand

Nadim
July 10, 2012, 04:00 AM
First test: Bangladesh vs England @ Lords,2010... with MoC and Purbasha T
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

Zunaid
July 10, 2012, 04:09 AM

Luck b********d. I've yet to see a Test match live at the stadium.

Navo
July 10, 2012, 04:12 AM
If we go into Tests...I've only seen one. The one in Fatullah against the Aussies! (Yes, the one where Nafees scored that famous century.)

playmaker
July 10, 2012, 04:26 AM
BD vs Netherlands wc match at the stadium

First BD national team match? A match between BD vs Pakistan in 04 or something where we almost won...but we lost by 1 wicket :(

I can still remember haba, ash, rafique, mash, tapash, mashud, mahmud, hannan and JOB batting

Maysun
July 10, 2012, 04:39 AM
my first stadium experience was at SCG. it was an ODI match between australia and india.aussies won that match, brett lee hit a 6 off the 3rd last delivery or 2nd last, i can't remember exactly and took a single off the next delivery and won aussies the match. oh, there were no more wickets left either. what a thriller that match was!!! :D

I remember that match!!

Maysun
July 10, 2012, 04:44 AM
First International match, India vs Australia, Test at Bangalore 08/09. It ended up being a draw.

First Bangladesh match, WC opener, Bangladesh vs India. Skipped classes, flew all the way from Bangalore just to attend this one match and the opening ceremony and flew back the next day. Chatted a bit with Tamim after the post match presentation as he was roaming around the boundary line and talking to the press.

Maysun
July 10, 2012, 04:52 AM

Hope you attended the day when Tamim hit that 100..

mufi_02
July 10, 2012, 08:51 AM
First match on TV - sometimes during the early 90s. Maybe it was Sharjah cup. I clearly remember 96 WC but not the 92 WC. So maybe during 94-95. ODIs were something back then. The Lankans revolutionized the style of today's powerplay and slog hitting.

First Stadium match - 2010, BD vs Ind (SBNS)

AsifTheManRahman
July 10, 2012, 09:47 AM
Started watching cricket in 1992, first one on TV was Australia vs New Zealand, inaugural match of the World Cup.

First live game wasn't until 1998, in the ICC Champions Trophy, India vs Australia.

BengaliPagol
July 10, 2012, 10:32 AM
It's fine. I like to give you a hard time.

Remember to do it within board rules of course ;)

BengaliPagol
July 10, 2012, 10:47 AM
my first match on tv was when there was an Aussie, India, Zim tri series in Australia around 2003. My first match i went to was a test match between South Africa and Australia in Australia in 2008/9. That game was special to me because Matty Hayden was underfire to perform and during the last session he hit successive boundaries. But unfortunately he retired during that series :(

The first match i watched in Bangladesh was Day 1 of the Pakistan tour of Bangladesh in Mirpur at the beginning of this year. I was in utter dissapointment when Tamim, Nazim, Nasir, Mahmudullah all got out in the first session. Then i witnessed the magical partnership of Nafees and Shakib. (180 run partnership?) Was a fantastic day it was for me. Witnessed the rare occasion of Nafees in good form and saw the best of Shakib up close. And wow the Bengali crowd is so entertaining!

Night_wolf
July 10, 2012, 12:15 PM
My first int match live at the stadium was Pak vs Sl at Bangabandu Stadium in 1999, It was Asian test championship finals..and i was lucky enough to see wasim akram's hattrick in that match

al Furqaan
July 10, 2012, 04:03 PM
Well - if you want to do first TV match too - then my first TV match was the 1969 Test between Pakistan and New Zealand at Dhaka. 3rd Test. At least I remember that. I might have seen the previous two Tests two if they were shown on Dhaka TV.

Between 1983 and 1989, I did not miss a single international cricket match in Dhaka.

Curious as to whether you were rooting for Pakistan who was *your* team back then. Did most Bangladeshis root for Pakistan in those days? I would imagine patriotic fervor amongst East Pakistanis was no less than our co-nationals in the west given the integral role many Bangalis played in the creation of Pakistan as well as military service thereafter.

RazabQ
July 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
1st live TV match watching began with the Reliance World cup though I am pretty sure I saw the Asia Cup matches before that.
1st live BD match - Test against Pakistan in 1997 I'm thinking? Could be 1999

MohammedC
July 10, 2012, 06:58 PM
My first experience of win by Bangladesh Cricket team in any international match is also my only experience of win out of all official international matches I have watched from the stadium. Which by the way is only win by Bangladesh against that particular opposition ? :sigh:

TigerEz
July 10, 2012, 07:03 PM
zimbabwe?

Naimul_Hd
July 10, 2012, 07:07 PM
My first experience of win by Bangladesh Cricket team in any international match is also my only experience of win out of all official international matches I have watched from the stadium. Which by the way is only win by Bangladesh against that particular opposition ? :sigh:

Pakistan

BANFAN
July 10, 2012, 07:14 PM
I don't remember the exact year...but it was Asia cup in Dhaka...between 88-90 I guess.... I used to be in Bogra those days...had to take leave to watch the Matches....watched all the matches played by bd ... Temon shukho-Smriti nei...then ongsho grohon was more important than winning...

MohammedC
July 10, 2012, 07:42 PM
zimbabwe?

Wrong

Pakistan

Right

Tintin
July 10, 2012, 07:53 PM
Seen only one day of international cricket - last day of an India-SL test in Bombay in 1997. It was cloudy and the match ended early as a draw.

Have occasionally watched first class cricket (usually till tea on Saturdays). Three years ago Sachin Tendulkar came to Chennai for a Ranji match. Took my wife and four year old son too, as a rare opportunity to peacefully watch him bat. Instead saw Wasim Jaffer play forward defense the whole day. Tendulkar came to bat the next day and scored a hundred. But Jaffer also completed a triple century next day, so being able to watch part of it is a rare thing.

Antora
July 11, 2012, 02:05 AM
I think I remember watching bits and pieces of 1999 wc on tv.

When I lived in South Africa, I remember watching BD u19 play against W.I u19 at the stadium in S.A. I don't exactly remember how old I was, I think I was around 4ish . I remember sitting there the night before making BD flags with Abbu. I have pictures of that game- the players. But I have no idea who some of those players are. I shall scan them when I get time and post them here. I'm sure you'll all be able to name some of them at least =P. around about the same time, so when I was 4ish I remember going to centurian stadium and watching SA vs W.I I believe. GAHH MY MEMORY IS HORRIBLE!

Rabz
July 11, 2012, 02:25 AM
^^ Thank God at least you didnt say that you were two and you clearly remember Al Shahriar Rokon waiving his bat at you after playing a glorious cover drive.

Please upload some of those pictures for us.
It was the plate final between BD and WI and we won the match.
That was a good U19 team we had and a very good WI U19 to beat.
Our Opi, Hannan Sarkar, Rokon V their Gayle, Sarwan and Samuels.

Yameen
July 11, 2012, 02:43 AM
First ODI match at a ground was Scotland V Bangladesh at Edinburgh during the 1999 WC (Bangladesh's first win in a WC)

Since then, I've managed to catch Bangladesh's win over Australia at Cardiff in 2005 as well as their win against England at Bristol in 2010. Also attended the 2 ODIs in Belfast against Ireland in 2010.

First and only T2O I watched was Bangladesh v India at Nottingham during the 2009 WC.

My first test match was Bangladesh V England at Lord's

F6_Turbo
July 11, 2012, 02:44 AM
^Nice collection of fixtures there...

Jadukor
July 11, 2012, 03:12 AM
My first international game at the stadium would the Knockout Worldcup that happened in Bangladesh with WI and SA playing in the finals.

My first own game representing the BD against India.I should add super amateur level in case u had any doubt. (university tournament involving 5 countries)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/200010_10150122857612020_67350_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/196503_10150122857062020_3399833_n.jpg

BengaliPagol
July 11, 2012, 03:19 AM
I've managed to catch Bangladesh's win over Australia at Cardiff in 2005

You should be very fortunate for being part of the most historic day of Bangladesh Cricket. I am jealous.

F6_Turbo
July 11, 2012, 03:38 AM
umm... Jadukor being the ump doesn't count.

Zunaid
July 11, 2012, 03:43 AM
umm... Jadukor being the ump doesn't count.

Bazinga.

My first official cricket match? BUET EEE faculty vs student match. I scored 4 runs as 10th man being out played on. Took 2 wickets with my leg spin. We beat the kids. Some if my colleagues actually played first division then - late 80s. One was a keeper batsman for Wari with all the Lankan recruits.

Antora
July 12, 2012, 10:53 PM
I think I remember watching bits and pieces of 1999 wc on tv.

When I lived in South Africa, I remember watching BD u19 play against W.I u19 at the stadium in S.A. I don't exactly remember how old I was, I think I was around 4ish . I remember sitting there the night before making BD flags with Abbu. I have pictures of that game- the players. But I have no idea who some of those players are. I shall scan them when I get time and post them here. I'm sure you'll all be able to name some of them at least =P. around about the same time, so when I was 4ish I remember going to centurian stadium and watching SA vs W.I I believe. GAHH MY MEMORY IS HORRIBLE!

^^ Thank God at least you didnt say that you were two and you clearly remember Al Shahriar Rokon waiving his bat at you after playing a glorious cover drive.

Please upload some of those pictures for us.
It was the plate final between BD and WI and we won the match.
That was a good U19 team we had and a very good WI U19 to beat.
Our Opi, Hannan Sarkar, Rokon V their Gayle, Sarwan and Samuels.

I wish I remember more of the match than random stuff about that day :facepalm: Anyway, as promised... here are some of the pictures. Btw in case any of you are wondering, the two girls you see on the photos...neither of them is me..I actually have no idea who they are:-|

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/antora93/6.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/antora93/5.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/antora93/4.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/antora93/3.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/antora93/2.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/antora93/1.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/antora93/7.jpg

BengaliPagol
July 13, 2012, 12:02 AM
Nice scenery in the pictures.

Rabz
July 13, 2012, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the pics Antora.
That tournament was something for us.
Winning the Plate Championship and beating a test team (that time we weren't) was a remarkable achievement by our boys.
Unfortunately, we could not retain most of the boys.

Nadim
July 13, 2012, 04:42 AM
I wish I remember more of the match than random stuff about that day :facepalm: Anyway, as promised... here are some of the pictures. Btw in case any of you are wondering, the two girls you see on the photos...neither of them is me..I actually have no idea who they are:-|

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/antora93/6.jpg
Al Shariar Rokon

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/antora93/5.jpg
Not clear enough from sideway view

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/antora93/3.jpg
Rokon again

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/antora93/2.jpg
Rokon

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/antora93/1.jpg
From left: M. Samuels (next to the tall guy), Mushfiqur Rahman Babu with the stump, Hannan sharkar opposite Babu.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/antora93/7.jpg

TimAus
July 13, 2012, 09:25 AM
Australia vs Sri Lanka at Melbourne, 94/95

Aus won by 10 wickets

Aus 1st Innings: 6d/500

SR Waugh 131*, DC Boon 110, RT Ponting 71, MJ Slater 62

SL 1st Innings: 233

A Ranatunga 51, RS Kaluwitharana 50, GD McGrath 5/40

SL 2nd Innings (Following On): 307

AP Gurusinha 143, SK Warne 4/71

Aus 2nd Innings: 0/41

Man of the Match: GD McGrath

Aus XI: Taylor*, Slater, Boon, Waugh, Waugh, Ponting, Healy+, Reiffel, Warne, McDermott, McGrath

SL XI: Mahanama, Hathurasigha, Gurusinha, De Silva, Ranatunga*, Tillakaratne, Kaluwitharana+, Vaas, Wickramasinghe, Muralitharan, Silva

May not have been the first game I ever saw, but the first I remember. I went to the first day and saw Boon get 93 not out. Waugh was 2 not out at the time and went on to make a ton. It was Ricky Ponting's second test, we barely even knew who he was, it was all about the superstar top 5 of Taylor, Slater, Boon and the Waugh twins.

RazabQ
July 13, 2012, 11:16 AM
Boonie - they sure don't make 'em like that any more. Doubt whether he'd get past the bleep test of most Test teams today. I still remember my oz mates fondly recalling the legend of him destroying beers like no tomorrow on a Qantas flight.

RazabQ
July 13, 2012, 11:18 AM
As for Rokon, I considered him to be as talented if not more so than Ashraful. What a pity he just couldn't make the grade.

AsifTheManRahman
July 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
Rokon I think is in New Zealand these days, playing and coaching cricket. Has a wonderful family (two kids I believe). Glad things turned out well for him, but man, did that guy get on my nerves. So much talent, yet would use his bat as a sword. Near the end of his international career, he had reduced himself to no more than a blind slogger.

Ajfar
July 13, 2012, 11:36 AM
^ yup he is in NZ. He plays for some club there. I came across his club website a while ago. They won some kind of a championship at the time, there was a picture of him and his teammates. Last time BD toured NZ, he invited Ashraful and a few other players for dawat. I saw the pictures on someone's facebook.

Antora
July 13, 2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks Nadim :) I recognized Rokon & Hanan, the others were not so familiar. :(