PDA

View Full Version : World Champions in a Decade: An exclusive interview with Saber Hossain Chowdhury (BC Article)

Zunaid
July 14, 2012, 07:22 AM
What we have all been waiting for! An in depth interview with ex-BCB president Sabe Hossain Chowdhury.

World Champions in a Decade: An exclusive interview with Saber Hossain Chowdhury
by Zunaid Kazi

The name Saber Hossain Chowdhury needs no introduction to followers of Bangladesh cricket. In an exclusive interview with BanglaCricket.com, the ex-BCB President, whose tenure featured an ICC trophy win and a subsequent World Cup berth followed by Bangladesh's entry into the Test world, shares his views on some of the challenges facing the country' cricket today.

During his tenure as BCB president, the BCB was decorated with Bangladesh's highest national award - the Independence Day Award and in recognition of his services to cricket, the MCC in 2002 conferred him with its Honorary Life Membership

http://www.banglacricket.com/html/images/read_art.gif Read article ยป (http://www.banglacricket.com/html/features/article.php?item=574)

Rabz
July 14, 2012, 07:54 AM
You have done it again Boss !
Great interview.

Kohli_Sox
July 14, 2012, 07:56 AM
Great to hear about the non profit basis academy setup

Nadim
July 14, 2012, 07:59 AM
A very gd read indeed!

If 50% ppl were like this in bcb, our cricket would have been in different level by now now but unfortunately 99.9% ppls r busy filling their pockets :(

Ajfar
July 14, 2012, 08:44 AM
Good read. Thanks boss.

Zunaid
July 14, 2012, 08:52 AM
There is so much he spoke about that it'll take time to digest it all. He was very candid and forthcoming. We need men with vision like him. Not just for Cricket but for the country.

Miraz
July 14, 2012, 09:46 AM
Nice read. He was the right man to run Bangladesh cricket, but I do not think we will ever see him again at the helm of BCB.

dash
July 14, 2012, 10:49 AM
good read and SHC is someone I have respect for .......

Dilscoop
July 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
I'd like to take away this quote from this interview: "Not the position but whether I can perform is what has always mattered to me."

This applies to everything. Cricket, life... (sex.. just thought about it.)

SHC for President FTW!

MohammedC
July 14, 2012, 12:02 PM
Excellent interview. Thank you Dr Z

Dilscoop
July 14, 2012, 12:06 PM
There is so much he spoke about that it'll take time to digest it all. He was very candid and forthcoming. We need men with vision like him. Not just for Cricket but for the country.

:up: good interview. must've been awesome talking to this visionary.

zinatf
July 14, 2012, 12:46 PM
:applause: great effort Zunaid Bhai. Wish we had him back as BCB President :(
We need a visionary head like him...otherwise World Champions in 10 years time will never be possible...read the interview twice....liked how he thinks about the academy having partnerships with a similar academy like Adelaide academy....also planning to build a stadium at Cox's Bazar in 2000 and in 12 years time nothing was implemented....a great loss to BCB and Bangladesh Cricket for not having him.....I also liked his P.O.V on how we are not good at tests and he doesn't see BPL as replacement of traditional cricket.....

BANFAN
July 14, 2012, 02:55 PM
Excellent interview ... Appreciate the questions as much as the great answers. Great man. It was good to see a positive hint from Saber Hossain, coming back as an elected president...should there be an election.

deshimon
July 14, 2012, 07:09 PM
Very good read. Thanks Dr. Z.

We need SHC again as a president to take ahead our cricket.

Zunaid
July 14, 2012, 10:35 PM
Saber bhai is hoping to read some critical comments and constructive reactions. I am hoping we can oblige him.

riankhan
July 14, 2012, 11:25 PM
Had we had 1000 more Saber bhais in BD, we would have been living in a heavenly nation.

Maysun
July 15, 2012, 12:23 AM
Excellent read. An intellectual with an amazing vision and who can express his thoughts wonderfully.

tiger_2007
July 15, 2012, 09:15 PM
The man who have / had all to give Bangladesh cricket and take the status of our cricket to a new height, seems to be a long distant hope for well-informed passionate BD fans. We can just hope against hope if the duo of Syed Ashraful and Saber Hossain can spring a new hope for our cricket (World Champion Bangladesh in ten years !)

RazabQ
July 15, 2012, 10:55 PM
First feedback to Saber bhai is to please make age-based cricket 2-day. 90 overs max for 1st innings. Batting points and bowling points.
Second would be to put in one decent sized play-field in every high-density population area. Explore astro-turf + rolled gravel wickets for ease of maintenance.
Third is dream up a indo-pak-sl-bd 1st class tourney. 4 teams from India. 2 from Pakistan. 1 each from BD & Sri-Lanka. Set up a Shield cricket like Champions league with them and market the heck out of it. This would become THE premier first class league in the world just like IPL has become the premiere 20/20 league.
Fourth - make peace with the two ladies who have Bangladesh as their birthright. Nothing can be done without their blessing anyway.

kalpurush
July 16, 2012, 12:14 AM
Fantastic interview. :up:

I am not a pro BAL fan, but always has respect for people like Shaber bhai - a great visionary. :applause:

Many thanks to Shaber bhai and Zunaid bhai for their efforts and time. Hats off to you. :notworthy:

Saber
July 16, 2012, 01:20 AM
The concept of a champions league on a sub continent basis is a great one and well worth following up on as are the other ideas floated. Great to see cricket lovers thinking so creatively and deeply.

bujhee kom
July 16, 2012, 01:24 AM
^^May Allah's love and blessings always be with you Sir. You are a true gentleman, a genuine people's leader and a true visionary. Thank you for being here with us.

Zunaid
July 16, 2012, 01:32 AM
I think a perennial problem for us is the transition from age group play to the big leagues. At the age group level our boys are at par with the big 8 but our tendency to fast track any young promise into the national team stunts their natural growth.

Had we a stronger domestic league and a commitment by the selectors to not put in to the team the next big hope, we might be able to save some of these talented youngsters.

We seem to have too many 20 something has-beens.

How do we mitigate this?

Naimul_Hd
July 16, 2012, 02:00 AM
Didn't know about the cricket academy ! Many many thanks to Saber bhai for that cricket academy for under privileged kids.

Sports Biomechanics has not yet been introduced in Bangladesh and I would like to try to make this available, as I believe it is critical in realizing and delivering high performance

@Ian, you better be excited to read this. Saber bhai is your man :)

RazabQ
July 16, 2012, 03:05 AM
@Saber bhai, great to see you like my idea.
The parameters of a Champions league could be as follows:
1) Make the call between franchise based (ala IPL) or as the apex of the Region based 1st class competitions each country runs (ala Ranji, NCL).
2) Promotion/relegation every year or every 2 years (1st class sides need time to mature)
3) Level of foreign player participation. More = glamor but also dilutes "feeder" value to National teams
4) If franchise model, would foreign ownership be allowed? I can see an SRK being very interested in buying THE BD franchise as a natural extension of KRR = team for all Bangla speakers mantra.

@Zunaid bhai, I believe you are referring to the Fazal syndrom when you say: put in to the team the next big hope. Isn't the High Performance team supposed to a bridge for that?

Zunaid
July 16, 2012, 03:10 AM

@Zunaid bhai, I believe you are referring to the Fazal syndrom when you say: Isn't the High Performance team supposed to a bridge for that?

The HP program can only serve a select few. The talented kids outside its aegis are honing their bad habits. If only we could franchise academies like Saber bhai is thinking of to all over the country. Of course that means we need properly trained coaches and their is a huge paucity of that.

We might even consider a train the trainer model and hire a few well qualified foreign coaches to groom more coaches aware of modern techniques.

RazabQ
July 16, 2012, 03:18 AM
I've thought about the coaching part but can't decide whether having coaching from an early age is a positive or a -ve. USA in soccer and the fact the most scary English batsmen have typically been from South Africa is why the prospect of over-coaching keeps lurking in my mind. If we can adopt the Lankan style of coaching where idiosyncrasies are built upon rather than eradicated, then we may have something.

Jadukor
July 16, 2012, 03:45 AM
The problem in my view is that we are always looking for the next Tendulkar out of the youth system and in that process ruining the careers of many young cricketers. The day the administrators will realize that only finding talented individuals won't solve a problem that is systemic, would probably the day we see an end to this practice of drafting youngsters in too early. We must find a way to move away from a culture of finding quick fixes so that the focus could be on long term solutions. Saber Bhai has pointed out the major factors that is causing our cricket to stagnate. From His interview we now know that the plan was there even back in 2000 but has not been followed through. 12 years on we now find ourselves at the bottom of the ladder with zero ranking points in Test cricket and if that isn't a wake up call I don't know what is.

Ian Pont
July 16, 2012, 03:48 AM
The best accolade I can give to this man, is he thinks like an English cricket administrator.

It is obvious to everyone outside of BD what needs to happen. Systems, coaching set ups, administration, planning, development, playing, structures - just mimic the English county system and club structures, and you won't go wrong. It is what Australia, NZ, SA and other nations started with.

It's why irish cricket is developing at a faster rate than BD. Just watch what Ireland is doing as it bids to get Test status. It is putting in the correct structures to support the national team.

Start again, start afresh. Restructure and redevelop the game from schools to the Test arena.

It is really no good polishing the surface of an apple if the core is rotten or diseased.

al Furqaan
July 16, 2012, 02:29 PM
@Saber bhai, great to see you like my idea.
The parameters of a Champions league could be as follows:
1) Make the call between franchise based (ala IPL) or as the apex of the Region based 1st class competitions each country runs (ala Ranji, NCL).
2) Promotion/relegation every year or every 2 years (1st class sides need time to mature)
3) Level of foreign player participation. More = glamor but also dilutes "feeder" value to National teams
4) If franchise model, would foreign ownership be allowed? I can see an SRK being very interested in buying THE BD franchise as a natural extension of KRR = team for all Bangla speakers mantra.

@Zunaid bhai, I believe you are referring to the Fazal syndrom when you say: Isn't the High Performance team supposed to a bridge for that?

Thats one of the best ideas I've heard. But is there big money behind it? Hard to get BCCI involved unless they can make a killing. Also not sure how excited BCCI and PCB would be with a "Bangladeshi" idea. But this is definitely a proposal worth working for. At present all the subcontinent teams suck at Test cricket so we should have a common interest to develop our FC player base.

BANFAN
July 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
The best accolade I can give to this man, is he thinks like an English cricket administrator.

It is obvious to everyone outside of BD what needs to happen. Systems, coaching set ups, administration, planning, development, playing, structures - just mimic the English county system and club structures, and you won't go wrong. It is what Australia, NZ, SA and other nations started with.........

I think the following can be of mutual interest:

SHC: I had an occasion to visit the Commonwealth Bank Cricket Academy in Adelaide and spent almost half a day talking to Rod Marsh who was at that time in charge of the Academy. I was much impressed by the set up there and in setting up our Academy; I would like to have a strategic partnership with a similar Academy so that we could from time to time get specialized coaches for special camps covering all the disciplines.

iDumb
July 19, 2012, 10:16 PM
man, i am so disappoited. interview text are so formal and properly punctuated, almost feels fake.... nobody talks like that, ppl talk like ths..like how i am writing.

i thought it would be a personal type interview like does he wear the same lungi evrytime he watches for a bd win.....

and what is he doing right now for our cricket if anything....

people are probably gonna curse me here but i am gonna say in this wrong thread that kamal is actually a pretty decent bcb president in my opinion. we should try to get an interview frm him....

Zunaid
July 19, 2012, 10:31 PM
This was an asynchronous written exchange - there ya go. We've been trying to get Mustafa Kamal to talk to us. No breakthroughs yet.

Briefs or boxers next.

Shubho
July 19, 2012, 11:31 PM
This was an asynchronous written exchange - there ya go. We've been trying to get Mustafa Kamal to talk to us. No breakthroughs yet.

Briefs or boxers next.

Asynchronous. Hmm. Intelligent-sounding word. I shall strive to use it more often in conversation.

firstlane
July 20, 2012, 03:33 AM
We need men with vision like him. Not just for Cricket but for the country.
That's what I have always been rooting for. I would rather like to see him as country's PM than BCB President. He will still have an opportunity to do lot for sports from PM's chair.

M.H.Rubel
July 20, 2012, 04:04 AM
I like the idea of making cricket academy by Saber hossain.Surely this type of academy will help our cricket a lot.So two big academy on the way.Another by Tommy Miah.

BANFAN
July 23, 2012, 11:43 AM
That's what I have always been rooting for. I would rather like to see him as country's PM than BCB President. He will still have an opportunity to do lot for sports from PM's chair.

You seem to be disoriented with BD politics...you don't know that, PM's chair has been bought by Sheikhs and Zias..??

firstlane
July 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
You seem to be disoriented with BD politics...you don't know that, PM's chair has been bought by Sheikhs and Zias..??

Yeah, I know its a sin to even think anyone else as PM!