PDA

View Full Version : *****Amla and Kohli Watch*****

Sohel
July 21, 2012, 10:38 PM
Hashim Amla (http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-south-africa-2012/content/player/43906.html) and Virat Kohli (http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-india-2012/content/player/253802.html) are two of my favorites to watch in the middle. I honestly don't care about what they do off the pitch. With consistently classy performances comparable to the all-time greats, neither looks rattled or likely to fail before scoring a magnificent 100 and beyond. Guys like these make me fall in love with cricket over and over again.

Hashim's on 183* at the Oval, his 14th test 100 in 103 test innings, as I post this, while Virat hit his 12th ODI 100 in 83 innings. Hashim (29) averages 47 and 56 in tests and ODIs respectively, and Virat (24) 33 and 51. Both are also excellent T20I batsmen set to captain their countries in the future in all 3 formats of the sport.

I hope this thread is around when they retire with staggering achievements and numbers. :notworthy:

al Furqaan
July 21, 2012, 10:50 PM
Staggering numbers aren't always in staggering contexts! That being said, both these guys seem to score tons as if they're getting paid to!

Sohel
July 21, 2012, 11:34 PM
I don't think Kohli is a flat track bully if that's what you're getting at. I saw his breakout test performance in Australia ball by ball and was deeply impressed by what I was watching. He's different and looks set to dominate on most surfaces. That being said, scoring an international 100 on any surface isn't a crime. I wish more of our guys hit more 100s at our flat track venues.

MSM B2C
July 22, 2012, 07:45 AM
Hashim Amla True Legend! Very Sad he does not get much Attention Unlike the others!

simon
July 22, 2012, 09:30 AM
Very good thread
These two were in my mind after yesterdays match.
They are the best run makinh softwares in the market.
Truly amazing
Although I am not a fan of Kohli(right after he insulted Rubel in WC11)but i truly admire his batting and fielding.
Amla is exactly the opposite of Kohli,very humble and calm fellow,like him a lot, although Kohli has more to prove in tests and t20s but Amla is too good in any format. :notworthy:
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)

Isnaad
July 22, 2012, 09:32 AM
Hashim Amla scores a triple hundred while Fasting. Enough said.

simon
July 22, 2012, 09:51 AM
I find it hard to believe he is fasting and scring a triple.
Are u sure he is fasting?
This is amazing

zinatf
July 22, 2012, 09:53 AM
:applause: amazing show by Amla so far. Hope he can take it up to 400 before the official declaration :)

Navo
July 22, 2012, 09:57 AM
Hashim Amla scores a triple hundred while Fasting. Enough said.

He doesn't fast on Match Days. Firdose Moonda and the CI commentary team confirmed that on the live scorecard for the match.

NoName
July 22, 2012, 09:58 AM
Damn Amla! What a player, how can anyone not like such a player like him, seems like a humble man as well.

Sohel
July 22, 2012, 10:09 AM
I knew he'd do this and be in the elite company of batters he deserves to be in. He keeps himself amazingly fit and may play until he's 40 and beyond InshAllah. I expect more such epic scores from him throughout his career.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2751/147625.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/147625.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Hashim Amla became the first South Africa batsman to score a triple hundred as the visitors continued their remorseless progress at The Oval to take their lead to 252 before declaring during the tea interval. He and Jacques Kallis, who scored just his second Test hundred in England, took their third-wicket stand to an overwhelming 377, which was yet another record on a day full of landmarks.

Amla ticked off his individual achievements in a steady progression; first came the double, then the 250, then South Africa's highest individual score in Tests (overtaking AB de Villiers' 278 against Pakistan) then, from 515 deliveries, the rarefied atmosphere of 300.

There was a heart-in-mouth moment as he played the shot that took him to his triple as it burst through hands of a leaping cover fielder but was soon soaking in yet another standing ovation. He became just the second overseas batsman after Don Bradman (twice) and Bob Simpson to reach the mark in England.

His innings was a display of unyielding concentration and determination, yet he rarely lost his graceful touch until he became a little tense in the 290s. His driving continued to be the stand-out feature of the innings and even when England packed the off side he would calmly and carefully pierce the gaps with regularity.

READ MORE (http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-south-africa-2012/content/current/story/573500.html)

:notworthy:

simon
July 22, 2012, 10:22 AM
I dare to say Amla is better than anyone, Bradman,Sachin, Lara,Kallis, AshrafulDrabir,Sangakarra whoever it is.

zman
July 22, 2012, 11:31 AM
It's hard to believe, in his 1st three years (2004-2006) of test cricket, he averaged a mere 22.4 in 17 innings. At the rate he keeps improving his game, I won't be too surprised if he ends up being the first modern day cricketer with a career avg of 60+ when it's all said and done.

Equinox
July 22, 2012, 11:45 AM
Amazing innings. And as has been said above, he wasn't fasting but it is a sign of his truly humble character that he refused to drink in front of the cameras out of respect for those who are. Wish him all the best in his career. Can see him ending up as SA's second highest Test scorer ever after Kallis.

Navo
July 22, 2012, 11:49 AM
I agree Equinox. He may become the 2nd highest scorer even if he plays far fewer matches than Kallis!

Kohli_Sox
July 22, 2012, 01:10 PM
No doubt over Amla but Kohli has to prove more outside subcontinent esp in tests

Kohli_Sox
July 22, 2012, 01:11 PM
What a brilliant innings by Amla (311*)- the highest by any South African player

Dilscoop
July 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
Alma couldn't have easily gone past Lara's record. Obviously SA wasn't chasing personal records or else Kallis would've gotten his 2nd double.

BANFAN
July 22, 2012, 03:26 PM
Personality wise, they are on different poles. But I like their game ... So fluent when they get going. Think, Amla should enjoy his stardom a bit more, that doesn't stop him being humble...:) while Kohli should tone it down a little bit, great players need to be a bit humble... They are both relatively young and they will learn their lessons with time... Hope they keep playing like this....

Rifat
July 22, 2012, 03:51 PM
The Funny thing about Amla was that, a Lot of people was doubting his ability in the beginning..

so moral of the story, It's not how you begin, It's where you end up! A lot of parallel can also be drawn to Bangladeshi players. Never give up hope, keep working hard at your game, Improve as much as you can...you are only helping yourself by doing that.

with that being said, Amla still has a lot more to prove, at least I hope he thinks so....

Sohel
July 23, 2012, 01:09 AM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2012/7/22/1342988541253/Hashim-Amla-008.jpg
South Africa's Hashim Amla celebrates reaching his and his country's first Test triple century, against England at The Oval. Photograph: Philip Brown/Reuters

Hashim Amla is 'overwhelmed' by record-breaking knock for South Africa
Paul Weaver at The Oval
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 22 July 2012 22.08 BST

The biggest cheer from England supporters here yesterday arrived shortly after tea; Bradley Wiggins, it was announced, had won the Tour de France. The only other rousing shout marked Jimmy Anderson beating the outside edge of Hashim Amla's bat. The celebration was soaked in irony and was followed by sarcastic applause.

Only Don Bradman and Brian Lara have scored more runs against England in a single innings than Amla's unbeaten 311 here, making him the first South African to score a Test triple hundred.

Amla claims that he eats like a rabbit but, unfortunately from the perspective of England's bowlers, he does not bat like one. The only surprise is that this devout Muslim is eating at all, for it is Ramadan and in the past not even Test cricket has been allowed to interrupt the vigilance of his religious observance. Here, though, he has put fasting on hold.

"Because I'm travelling away from home I don't have to fast," he said. "So I haven't been fasting. But I will make it up when I get home."

READ MORE (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/22/hashim-amla-record-south-africa)

It thrills me think about many more such innings to come InshAllah. He is pretty much unbreakable.

Gowza
July 23, 2012, 01:28 AM
so kohli 4 centuries from 5 ODI innings and amla first triple century by a south african. these guys are gun batsmen, 2 of the best currently and definitely if they keep it up will be greats. both still have a good number of years left in them which is awesome.

al Furqaan
July 23, 2012, 01:50 PM
I don't think Kohli is a flat track bully if that's what you're getting at. I saw his breakout test performance in Australia ball by ball and was deeply impressed by what I was watching. He's different and looks set to dominate on most surfaces. That being said, scoring an international 100 on any surface isn't a crime. I wish more of our guys hit more 100s at our flat track venues.

No not Kohli...he scores runs when it MATTERS...his knock against SL, PAK in Asia Cup, proves that. In the AUS tour he was the only one who fought, if I recall correctly.

Zunaid
July 31, 2012, 11:05 AM
Kohli is a beast.

774 runs in last 10 ODIs. Now he is going wild against SL.

Nadim
July 31, 2012, 11:11 AM
Kohli is a beast.

774 runs in last 10 ODIs. Now he is going wild against SL.

Waddaplyer he is :wow:

13 :100: in his career already and only played 89 ODI :bravo: (5 of them came in last 8 innings)

Edit: aprt from SA, his got ODI :100: (s) against all the Test nation. quite incredible to do that only in 89 odi:clap:

playmaker
July 31, 2012, 11:24 AM
This guy is going to break sachin's record. I once said that kohli can become better than tendulkar and people laughed at me.

Where are they now? :D

AsifTheManRahman
July 31, 2012, 11:24 AM
R.I.P Herath's ODI career

<table class="commsTable"><tbody><tr><td align="right" width="30">41.6
</td> <td width="100%"> Herath to Kohli, FOUR, the records this man is piling up is astonishing, already a 1000 runs in ODIs this year, the final ball of the over is smashed to the deep midwicket boundary, scores are level
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" width="30">41.5
</td> <td width="100%"> Herath to Kohli, FOUR, more power from Kohli, all along the ground as he hammers that to the extra cover boundary, Sri Lanka have no answer to him
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" width="30">41.4
</td> <td width="100%"> Herath to Kohli, 2 runs, 'Two, two, two," Kohli shouts as he drives inside-out towards extra cover, Malinga races across and gets a boot in the way to keep Kohli to two
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" width="30">41.3
</td> <td width="100%"> Herath to Kohli, no run, defended off the back foot by Kohli
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" width="30">41.2
</td> <td width="100%"> Herath to Kohli, FOUR, Kohli is in a hurry, once more he skips down the track and launches that to the left of the bowler for four more, down to 11 now for India
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" width="30">41.1
</td> <td width="100%"> Herath to Kohli, FOUR, a four to extra cover, jumping down the track, making a bit of room, and powers it to the extra cover boundary, a shot he played repeatedly in his 183 against Pakistan in the Asia Cup
</td></tr></tbody></table>

They scored @ 13/over in the last 5, finishing with 46 balls to spare. Wonder what all the rush was for.

Navo
July 31, 2012, 12:13 PM
What an incredible batsman in an even more incredible vein of form

"Sid Patel (http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-india-2012/engine/current/match/564784.html): "Kohli now reads 128*, 38, 1, 106, 183, 66, 108, 133*, 21, 66 that is 850 runs in last 10 innings at an mind blowing average of 106.25.""

NoName
July 31, 2012, 01:36 PM
This guy is going to break sachin's record. I once said that kohli can become better than tendulkar and people laughed at me.

Not sure about his record, but atm his stats are much better than Tendulkar at the same age in ODI's.

al Furqaan
July 31, 2012, 07:22 PM

Well Sachin played the bulk of his career against the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Murali, McGrath, Lee, Warne, Donald, Walsh, Ambrose, Pollock, and some others. Who has Kohli faced? SRT is a phenomenal one day player...may even be better than Sir Viv when you take into consideration the quality of the attacks he faced. As a Test player, I think a number of batsman were better than Tendulkar, especially in clutch situations. Kohli will probably surpass SRT the test player. The best thing about Kohli is, he is almost immune to choking. The guy averages 60+ in ODI chases!

Gowza
July 31, 2012, 08:51 PM
Well as things are now kohli is looking to be an all time great ODI player, will he break records? We will see but still if he continues this path he will no doubt be a great

Jadukor
July 31, 2012, 09:15 PM
Kohli really likes sri lanka doesn't he!

patriot
August 1, 2012, 02:25 AM
What a class player , Virat Kohli . Took only 86 matches to reach his 13th hundred . His nearest competitor AB DeVillers took 134 matches for the same. If only we had a player having half his talent and temperament.

ahnaf
August 1, 2012, 02:35 AM
Well Sachin played the bulk of his career against the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Murali, McGrath, Lee, Warne, Donald, Walsh, Ambrose, Pollock, and some others. Who has Kohli faced? SRT is a phenomenal one day player...may even be better than Sir Viv when you take into consideration the quality of the attacks he faced. As a Test player, I think a number of batsman were better than Tendulkar, especially in clutch situations. Kohli will probably surpass SRT the test player. The best thing about Kohli is, he is almost immune to choking. The guy averages 60+ in ODI chases!

well said.. but i dont think kohli will be good in test as much as in odi.

al Furqaan
August 9, 2012, 01:24 AM
well said.. but i dont think kohli will be good in test as much as in odi.

Well he certainly won't get the opportunity to score 15K runs...but in terms of average and context, I expect him to play more than a few match-winning knocks.

Gowza
August 9, 2012, 01:44 AM
Kohli is the future of Indian cricket atm, he's the one who has put his hand up, expect him to have a stellar test career much like his ODI career

simon
August 9, 2012, 07:15 AM
Koheli is amazing , probably a better ODI player than Shochin,but to get hundred 100s he will need to do well in Tests too.
Let's see.

Ajfar
August 9, 2012, 07:47 AM
Kohli is the future of Indian cricket atm, he's the one who has put his hand up, expect him to have a stellar test career much like his ODI career

I think it will be better for Indian cricket if they don't give him the captaincy after Dhoni, but I have a feeling that BCCI will. He is kind of hot tempered, it might backfire.

al Furqaan
August 9, 2012, 01:51 PM
Koheli is amazing , probably a better ODI player than Shochin,but to get hundred 100s he will need to do well in Tests too.
Let's see.

He might get 100 in ODIs alone!

AsifTheManRahman
August 9, 2012, 01:58 PM
I think it will be better for Indian cricket if they don't give him the captaincy after Dhoni, but I have a feeling that BCCI will. He is kind of hot tempered, it might backfire.
Then again, he has captained the U-19 team to glory in the past. Ricky Ponting also captained one of Australia's most consistent generations of players with a hot head.

Dilscoop
August 9, 2012, 03:10 PM
The other day CI title said "Rare Failure for Kohli" and here I thought he made a duck, or at least below 10. Then I see he scored 30ish, and I was like, what that's Ashraful and co. dream score. What you talking about! As usual CI is always messing with Bangladesh.

Gowza
August 9, 2012, 08:57 PM

quite possibly, but the problem is there aren't any other youngsters putting their hand up. they really need some more of the young batsmen to come through, time to give rohit sharma a break and try out the others. rahane has been disappointing after and great start.

Sohel
August 19, 2012, 01:25 AM
Amla's on a scrappy 57* at stumps on day 3. Not the most graceful of innings by his high standards, but he did look way more fluent towards the end. I think he's on his way to his 16th test 100. Intriguing day 4 ahead.

HR45
August 19, 2012, 03:26 AM
Hope Hashim Amla can give us a EID GIFT by scoring a Hundred

crikss
August 19, 2012, 08:26 AM
Another ton for Amla bhai

playmaker
August 19, 2012, 08:43 AM
Amla-run machine

Hawk-Eye
August 19, 2012, 01:20 PM
Amla the real class!

Gowza
August 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
amla sticking his hand up to being a great if he continues like this.

Sohel
August 25, 2012, 02:25 AM
Test batting had been an issue for Kohli because he failed to match his stellar numbers in this particular format. But I do feel he turned the proverbial corner since Perth and Adelaide and we're unlikely to see too many below 50 scores from now on. The test 58 in Hyderabad may become a typical test performance for Kohli from now on.

Gowza
August 25, 2012, 03:58 AM
Test batting had been an issue for Kohli because he failed to match his stellar numbers in this particular format. But I do feel he turned the proverbial corner since Perth and Adelaide and we're unlikely to see too many below 50 scores from now on. The test 58 in Hyderabad may become a typical test performance for Kohli from now on.

yeah i have that feeling to, he's turned a corner and from now on he'll be a force in test matches to.

NoName
August 25, 2012, 03:34 PM
Too be fair Indians can easily score centuries in their own backyard, I'd like to see Kohli play more tests outside the subcontinent.

Gowza
August 25, 2012, 07:55 PM
Too be fair Indians can easily score centuries in their own backyard, I'd like to see Kohli play more tests outside the subcontinent.

This is true but he's managed it in ODIs so I'm sure he can figure it out in tests.

Nadim
August 28, 2012, 09:48 AM
Yet another :100: by Run Machine Amla :notworthy:

Night_wolf
August 28, 2012, 10:30 AM
Amla man what an innings..i just loved the shot the adjusted and guided past the keeper :notworthy:

Nadim
August 28, 2012, 10:33 AM
150 with a sr of 120...without any 6's. Legend!
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

shams91
August 28, 2012, 10:38 AM
Amla makes me proud, A proud Muslim & practicing.

Pure Class, A true Legend.

Zeeshan
August 28, 2012, 11:39 AM
Wow....a fiend!

AsifTheManRahman
August 28, 2012, 12:16 PM
You know your team has failed miserably when your best batsman gets 150 at 120% and yet you limp to 287.

simon
August 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
probably the best thing about Amla is the placement, he knows very well where he should hit & where not, what a lezend

Sohel
August 28, 2012, 11:55 PM
Amla ton leads SA to third No. 1 spot

South Africa became the first side to be ranked No. 1 in all three formats and did it in fitting style, with a crushing 80-run victory in the second one-day international to end England's run of 10 consecutive wins. South Africa's success was, not for the first time on this tour, set around a fantastic innings from Hashim Amla as he made a career-best 150 from 124 balls on a pitch that was far from easy for strokeplay.

Amla's innings, South Africa's sixth-highest in one-day internationals, marshalled South Africa to an imposing 287 for 5 and England never really threatening to get close once Ian Bell's sprightly knock was ended by Robin Peterson. The spinners played a key role on a helpful surface - England's had earlier found some turn, too - and when Eoin Morgan pulled JP Duminy to deep midwicket the game was up.

This match, though, was about a man who is having a defining tour. It was another day when Amla's run-scoring feats came into clear focus as he became the fastest man to 3000 ODI runs, beating the previous record held by Viv Richards. His innings included 16 boundaries, ranging from the expansive flick over midwicket to the cover drive to the wonderfully cheeky deflection past the keeper off Tim Bresnan late in the innings.

READ MORE (http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-south-africa-2012/content/current/story/579730.html)

Here's a scary prospect for his opponents: these scoring sprees will remain the norm rather than the exception for the next 10 years. An elegant master of timing and temperament in all 3 formats of the sport, there is nobody like him at this moment IMHO.

BTW, Auntu told me that Amla has roots in Dhaka as well and he has met them personally.

simon
August 29, 2012, 08:06 AM
^^shei shikor dhuye shei pani amader player der khawano howk,traditional treatment.

mufi_02
August 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
^^shei shikhor dhore ar lotus kichu taka paisha diya Amla re BD citizenship offer kora uchit. Ja lage tai dimu. Bari, gari, helicopter..shob

Night_wolf
August 29, 2012, 08:58 AM
^^^lol amla kora musolli manus, gari bari helicopter nibona

ialbd
August 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
his consistency is just unbelievable.... and what makes it even more spectacular is his classic text-book shots...

I didnt realize how strong (physically and not to mention mentally) this guy is until I watched the highlights of his 450+ runs in 3 tests in England. I doubt if any of our batsmen can do it in 3 consecutive 4 day matches in NCL.... bilat to bohudur.....

Yasin.
August 29, 2012, 10:51 AM
To think that AB De Villiers didnt score a century and South Africa still swept England aside 2-0 is scary. South Africa definitely have the players who can hold on to that ranking.

Amlas is class both on and off the field. Though he has yet to perform in T20I, to the level that he can [agreed that he hasnt played enough T20 matches though].

Gowza
August 29, 2012, 07:25 PM
To think that AB De Villiers didnt score a century and South Africa still swept England aside 2-0 is scary. South Africa definitely have the players who can hold on to that ranking.

Amlas is class both on and off the field. Though he has yet to perform in T20I, to the level that he can [agreed that he hasnt played enough T20 matches though].

yep SA is a quality team, one of the best ever and amla is a crucial part of that, incredible ODI and test records, expect him to do well in t20s to.

al Furqaan
August 29, 2012, 11:59 PM
Amla and Kohli really are on another plane of existence...!

Gowza
August 30, 2012, 12:15 AM

For sure atm they are, would put de villiers with them to.

Sohel
August 30, 2012, 12:18 AM
I feel Amla is the one who'll eventually lead his country past the Choke Barrier in major tournaments.

Gowza
August 30, 2012, 12:24 AM
I feel Amla is the one who'll eventually lead his country past the Choke Barrier in major tournaments.

Possible, in a team of standouts (current SA are an all time great team I believe) amla is one of the best in the team.

simon
August 30, 2012, 07:51 AM

For sure atm they are, would put de villiers with them to.

u guys heard of the Jamaican ?

BrianLara7
August 30, 2012, 07:04 PM
u guys heard of the Jamaican ?

I am sorry but beating up bowlers in domestic tournaments cant be compared to bullying top international bowlers in places like England like Amla is doing. Amla's record is FAR better than gayle in premier form of the game as well as odi's. Amla averages almost 60 in odi's and SR is far higher than gayle and also gayle's average only 39. In tests also no comparison between the two, Amla is far better specially in last 2 years. Kohli's odi record is also FAR superior to gayle in odi's even though he is poor in tests. Gayle is massively overrated because of his bullying in IPL, he is nowhere close to being top 10 batsmen in odi's and top 15 in tests. He is a very good batsman but not in the class of Amla, Kallis, AB.

Gowza
August 30, 2012, 10:19 PM
well gayle is basically incomparable in t20s, but he's not consistent enough in the other formats, though he's still one of the most dominant batsmen of all time imo.

Rifat
August 31, 2012, 05:49 AM
his consistency is just unbelievable.... and what makes it even more spectacular is his classic text-book shots...

I didnt realize how strong (physically and not to mention mentally) this guy is until I watched the highlights of his 450+ runs in 3 tests in England. I doubt if any of our batsmen can do it in 3 consecutive 4 day matches in NCL.... bilat to bohudur.....

It was done once before, by none other than Mahmudullah Riyad ;)

Gowza
August 31, 2012, 05:55 AM

yes when he was dropped from the national team, that's what got him his recall.

BengaliPagol
August 31, 2012, 06:11 AM

thats why i respect Riyad :)

simon
August 31, 2012, 12:23 PM
I am sorry but beating up bowlers in domestic tournaments cant be compared to bullying top international bowlers in places like England like Amla is doing. Amla's record is FAR better than gayle in premier form of the game as well as odi's. Amla averages almost 60 in odi's and SR is far higher than gayle and also gayle's average only 39. In tests also no comparison between the two, Amla is far better specially in last 2 years. Kohli's odi record is also FAR superior to gayle in odi's even though he is poor in tests. Gayle is massively overrated because of his bullying in IPL, he is nowhere close to being top 10 batsmen in odi's and top 15 in tests. He is a very good batsman but not in the class of Amla, Kallis, AB.
I know Gayle is no where as good as Amla in odis and tests, but in teaTwenties there is no one better than Gayle.
Amla or even Kohli's consistency is just beyond reality but so is Gayles power hitting.
And I dont know what u mean by Gayle beating up in domestic lgs, dont u know that Gayle is the first player to score an international hundred against SA in Tea20 cup,and also not to forget how he treated Brett lee in English conditions,in some T20 match.

Sohel
September 1, 2012, 03:43 AM
Kohli's on 37* at tea and looking set to score a patient, classy and potentially match saving/winning big test :100: by lunch tomorrow.

Sohel
September 1, 2012, 06:47 AM
Kohli finishes the day on 93*. Looking unbreakable and classy, he's well on his way to his second test :100: after playing yet another key innings for India. He has definitely turned the corner in test matches.

Gowza
September 1, 2012, 09:37 AM
kohli, what a player!

Tiger444
September 1, 2012, 09:49 AM
Even though I'm not a big fan of India, I'm a huge fan of Kohli. I just love his attitude as well. Every team needs a fiery guy and fierce competitor. I also love the way he just scores his runs regardless of what conditions he's playing in. definitely great for cricket to have a great emerging batsman like Kohli.

simon
September 1, 2012, 12:12 PM
I'm a huge admirer of Kohli's batting/fielding/consistency, still don't like him much but doesn't matter, he is awechum.

Gowza
September 1, 2012, 05:00 PM
Even though I'm not a big fan of India, I'm a huge fan of Kohli. I just love his attitude as well. Every team needs a fiery guy and fierce competitor. I also love the way he just scores his runs regardless of what conditions he's playing in. definitely great for cricket to have a great emerging batsman like Kohli.

:up: a youngster performing like this for any team is exciting, a great example for all the other youngsters.

NoName
September 1, 2012, 05:40 PM
This guy is turning into a prodigy.

Zeeshan
September 1, 2012, 06:52 PM
Hmm...Khalil has got a tat? :umm:

http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/149300/149309.jpg

Tiger444
September 1, 2012, 07:14 PM
^ya he's got 3.

Sohel
September 1, 2012, 11:14 PM
Not even 24 yet, he has temperament and technique of a 35YO veteran playing at his peak. He'll put up genuinely scary numbers in all 3 formats if he manages to sustain what we've just witnessed.

Sohel
September 1, 2012, 11:40 PM
Didn't expect him to fall so quickly after his :100:. Clutch knock nonetheless.

Sohel
September 2, 2012, 07:44 AM
Amla has an ordinary day but still manages to score 45! :notworthy:

Sohel
September 3, 2012, 06:19 AM
51* delivers victory for his team and takes his test average past 40 for the first time. It won't be long before Kohli cruises past 50. What an amazing 23YO!

Gowza
September 3, 2012, 06:32 AM
kohli is incredibly talented, so mentally tough for a 23 year old and such great temperament and ability to play the way the situation requires.

AsifTheManRahman
September 3, 2012, 10:32 AM
And we say our 23 year olds are too young. Bangalir ojuhaat dawar obbhyash gelo na. :facepalm:

Gowza
September 3, 2012, 05:16 PM
And we say our 23 year olds are too young. Bangalir ojuhaat dawar obbhyash gelo na. :facepalm:

this is a special 23 year old, most players won't ever be able to be as consistent and high quality as kohli is let alone at the age of 23.

Sohel
September 4, 2012, 12:38 AM
this is a special 23 year old, most players won't ever be able to be as consistent and high quality as kohli is let alone at the age of 23.

As 23YO batsmen go since Lara-Ponting-Tendulkar, the only other 23YO as special as Kohli I can think of is Michael Clarke, but I think he'll surpass the Australian phenom by some distance in 10 years max if he doesn't go through too many dry patches in a reasonably long career. Kohli already has more ODI hundreds, is a superior T20I player, and has begun to stamp his authority in tests since Perth. Both Graeme Smith and AB Devillers, each very impressive as a 23YO, are still going strong. Alastair Cook, Andrew Strauss and Kevin Pietersen are up there also.

I'm only talking about young batsmen who managed to sustain early success, not relatively late bloomers like Mathew Hayden, Mahela Jayawardene, Kumar Sangakkara or more recently, Hashim Amla.

Shakib Al Hasan has also been very special but from the far narrower context of his incredible value primarily to Bangladesh.

Anyway, here's one way to measure a batsman in terms of the centuries he scores (not including Sir Don, who's in a class all by himself):

1. 30+ centuries per format = legend

2. 20-29 centuries per format = great

3. 15-19 centuries per format = good

Zeeshan
September 5, 2012, 11:31 PM
97 more from Amla. Btw good thread Sohel bhai. Seems like every time you open espncricinfo, these guys scoring.

Gowza
September 5, 2012, 11:40 PM
Yep 97* to amla, a complete run machine, best batsman atm.

Navo
September 6, 2012, 06:52 AM
1. 30+ centuries per format = legend

2. 20-29 centuries per format = great

3. 15-19 centuries per format = good

I'm guessing you wouldn't use the same parameters for T20Is? Rather than just runs scored, I'd look at 50+ scores coupled with strike rate and games played.

simon
September 6, 2012, 07:13 AM
awkward consistency by these 2

BrianLara7
September 6, 2012, 04:15 PM
Amla's odi record is freakish and far better than Tendulkar and even Kohli specially in the strike rate department as well as average, he averages 15 points higher than tendulkar. It's just sad that SA play half the number of odi's a year as India, If SA played as many useless odi's as India on mostly flat pitches he would have crushed Kohli's run records by now (still has far better average, strike rate and century ratio)

Sohel
September 8, 2012, 03:26 AM
Amla missed his 11th ODI :100: by just 3 runs, but a match winning innings nonetheless. Great partnership with ABD after Smith, FDP and Elgar went cheaply.

Amla's innings in this tour so far, facing some of the best bowlers in the world:

Tests: 311*, 9, 28, 13 & 121 with an average of 120.5

ODIs: 150, 43, 45 & 97* with an average of 111.7

:notworthy:

Sohel
September 8, 2012, 03:27 AM
I'm guessing you wouldn't use the same parameters for T20Is? Rather than just runs scored, I'd look at 50+ scores coupled with strike rate and games played.

I agree :)

Navo
September 11, 2012, 01:07 PM
Another 70 for Kohli!!

Kohli and Amla are really in a league of their own :clap: :notworthy:

Sohel
September 11, 2012, 03:02 PM
Another 70 for Kohli!!

Kohli and Amla are really in a league of their own :clap: :notworthy:

Opens the batting with a T20I 70 with an SR of 170.7! Talk about the ability to play each format according to its unique norms. :notworthy:

Dilscoop
September 11, 2012, 04:20 PM
Kohli's innings vs NZ: example of how T20 isn't all about power hitting. Batsmen don't have to slog to keep an explosive SR. 10 fours, all along the ground. Not even lofted 4s, just pure classy drives and punches and cuts. Old school cricket.

I hope Ashraful was watching this game, instead of some Hindi movie.

AsifTheManRahman
September 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
Mahela Jayawardene is also a very classy/copy-book batsman in T20s when in good touch.

Maysun
September 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
Only if our players had 10% of the grit and determination of Kohli.

In such fantastic form. Really enjoyed his innings vs the NZ.

Dilscoop
September 11, 2012, 04:33 PM
Mahela Jayawardene is also a very classy/copy-book batsman in T20s when in good touch.

David, Kallis too... and Ian Bell, to some extent. But they are all on the slower side.

AsifTheManRahman
September 11, 2012, 04:34 PM
Only if our players had 10% of the grit and determination of Kohli.

In such fantastic form. Really enjoyed his innings vs the NZ.
Don't you wish he does the same against the Kings tomorrow? :)

Maysun
September 11, 2012, 04:39 PM
Don't you wish he does the same against the Kings tomorrow? :)

Ki re bhai?

First, Warner's 50. Second, McCullum's 90. Lastly, Virat's 70!

All your opening players had an amazing game :-|

AsifTheManRahman
September 11, 2012, 04:55 PM
Ki re bhai?

First, Warner's 50. Second, McCullum's 90. Lastly, Virat's 70!

All your opening players had an amazing game :-|
Yuvraj performed too, but watch, he will score a duck when he plays for the Tyrants next.

Gowza
September 11, 2012, 06:18 PM
kohli just keeps churning out the runs, doesn't matter where he bats.

Maysun
September 13, 2012, 04:14 AM
The Kohli method
His numbers are phenomenal, and that's thanks largely to his ability to make a plan and stick to it
Aakash Chopra
September 13, 2012

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/138300/138349.2.jpg

When they first donned the Indian colours, the likes of Ms Dhoni and Yuvraj Singh were self-assured, resilient, fiercely talented and more. Today, though, Virat Kohli seems to have outmoded his predecessors in a manner that has made him the face of Indian cricket's next generation. He has scored 13 centuries in 90 ODI matches. Those are phenomenal numbers by any yardstick. Look closer, in a comparative framework, and the numbers hit harder. Kumara Sangakkara, for instance, has scored 14 hundreds, 11 of those from No. 3 or higher, in 333 ODIs. Virender Sehwag has scored 15 in 249 matches, and Gautam Gambhir has 11 in 139. These stats, striking as they are, tell us a thing or two about the sort of prospect Kohli is for Indian cricket.

More at ESPNCricinfo (http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/581741.html)

Zeeshan
September 13, 2012, 02:56 PM
Beat me to it^^. Great article. Here's my favorite excerpt from the same article:

If one goes by the exterior - the spiky hair, tattoos, the swagger and arrogance of a confident young man, Kohli epitomises 21st century Indian youth. But the way he bats, especially in the first half of each innings, he seems the antithesis of how young cricketers in India like to bat in this day and age of T20 cricket. These days most young men prefer to go after the bowling right from the beginning, and to keep hitting it till they last. It takes your breath away when it comes off, and looks woeful when it doesn't, but taking a bit of a risk seems to be the new way of living.
Kohli, on the contrary, is old-fashioned when it comes to constructing his innings. Regardless of his personal form, familiarity with the attack and the conditions, he always starts slowly, albeit confidently. At the beginning of an innings, every batsman is slightly edgy and likes to get bat on ball and score a few to get going. This urge to get on with the game is even stronger if you are in good form. It must take immense self-control for Kohli to resist that temptation every time he walks out to bat these days, and to stick to his original plan of biding time.
His self-control at the beginning of every innings is the primary reason for his consistency. Exercising this self-control would be a lot easier for someone who doesn't have as many shots as Kohli does, which makes his self-denial more creditable. His ability to plan meticulously and then diligently follow the plan is the common thread in most of his innings.
Conventional wisdom suggests that the bigger the arc one's bat creates, the more power one generates. The arc starts from the top of the backlift and finishes with the follow-through after playing the shot. The best way to ensure a bigger arc is to allow the top hand to remain in control for as long as possible and extend the arms fully (elbow not bent) after playing the shot. Kohli's bat-swing, however, is not quite how the coaching manuals say it ought to be. He has a relatively short backlift, and an even shorter follow-through. But he generates phenomenal bat speed by flicking his wrists at the point of contact, which in turn generates immense power. The flip side of such a bat-swing is that he is a bottom-hand-dominated player. Once again, though, by delaying his strokes, he has found a way to be equally fluent through the off side.

Sohel
September 19, 2012, 10:28 PM
Kohli scores 50, Raina 38 and Dhoni 18* on a day when all other top Indian batters fail against a spirited Afghanistan. In a format where scoring 30 is being considered as statistically category-worthy, Kohli's averaging 36 with 133 SR. The 23YO's last 3 T20I innings: 68 (142 SR), 70 (172 SR) and 50 (128 SR) :applause:

simon
September 20, 2012, 02:25 AM
this thread won't end.

Amla scored a brilliant fifty today (in advance)

Gowza
September 20, 2012, 03:43 AM
these guys just keep scoring runs, good on them.

Sohel
September 20, 2012, 10:34 AM

That'd be his very first in T20Is, he'd have played 11 after tonight's match, and I'm looking forward to the occasion. Although he has done just a little bit better in outside the international arena with three 50s in 40 matches, he's simply too great a batsman not be as awesome in T20Is sooner rather than later.

He wants to improve in the shortest format.

Amla keen to master Twenty20 cricket
Hashim Amla is yet to translate his success in Tests and ODIs to T20s. But in current form, that may not be far away
Andrew Fernando

Given Hashim Amla's colossal recent form, finding a weakness in his game seems a frivolous exercise. Beyond the mountain of runs, a Test average breaching 65 over the last three years and an ODI average touching 60, he has a gift for playing innings notable as much for their impact as their heft. Amla's reputation as classy, but slow delayed his introduction to limited-overs cricket, but when he arrived in ODIs, his success was almost immediate.

The only format in which he can't claim to be among the best in the world is Twenty20. He has played 10 innings, all as an opener, to score 198 runs at an average of 22 and is yet to record a half-century.

It is not that his cricket is unsuited to the shortest format - he has developed a mindset and ability to score off almost any ball, and few errant deliveries escape the swing of his blade - but for the moment, there is something preventing his success in Twenty20s.

Perhaps he has not yet warmed to the format; a problem not helped by the infrequency of matches. He was less than prolific in his first 34 Tests too, averaging in the low 40s before three centuries in two Tests against India in 2010 burst the dam and heralded the torrent. There has been a concerted effort to tune his game to the ODI format as well, and that has brought spectacular results. Maybe that mental switch has not yet been flipped in Twenty20, and those technical adjustments remain unmade.

READ MORE (http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-world-twenty20-2012/content/current/story/582981.html)

zinatf
September 20, 2012, 11:34 AM
this thread won't end.

:-P ho! Bolse apnare.....40 kore naki na shondeho....issh ken je ere captain nilam :head:

Sohel
September 21, 2012, 04:46 AM
^Well, it was Levi who ended up scoring 50. Neither he nor Amla looked particularly comfortable but managed to stay not out and deliver victory anyway.

Gowza
September 21, 2012, 08:24 PM
^Well, it was Levi who ended up scoring 50. Neither he nor Amla looked particularly comfortable but managed to stay not out and deliver victory anyway.

a lot of batsmen haven't looked comfortable in this t20 WC.

johnasjade
September 29, 2012, 12:43 AM
And I personally love watching Virat Kohli.:up:

Navo
September 30, 2012, 12:40 PM
78* by Kohli. A particularly memorable late cut in this one.

oronnya
September 30, 2012, 01:24 PM
Why no thread for Watson??? What a player !!! :notworthy::notworthy: Kohli as usual impresses!!!

Gowza
September 30, 2012, 08:20 PM
kohli continues, t20I average is now over 40. amla hasn't pushed on as much.

simon
November 9, 2012, 05:21 AM
Amla not out on 90 :notworthy:

Sohel
November 9, 2012, 10:34 PM
Rain is delaying the inevitable, namely Amla's 17th test 100. He has gone past the 50 average mark already. Kallis is well on the way to his 44th test 100 :notworthy:

Sohel
November 11, 2012, 10:59 PM
Amla gets his 17th. I didn't think he was going to fall before 150. I guess that rain broke his focus.

Sohel
November 23, 2012, 06:56 AM
Amlar hamla ar Kohlir boli didn't happen yet, but there's always the second innings to look forward to.

Nadim
November 25, 2012, 05:35 AM
Both failed!

Sovik
November 25, 2012, 05:56 AM
Amlar hamla ar Kohlir boli didn't happen yet, but there's always the second innings to look forward to.

They failed again. Considering how good they are, they both might score big their next matches.

Kohli_Sox
November 25, 2012, 11:34 AM
Too early to say but I've now no doubt in my mind after watching today that Kohli, dispatching a full toss into the hands of fielder, will be a serious failure at Test Level. Pujara is much much better than him in longer version imo and will be averaging HEAD and SHOULDER above Kohli.

zman
November 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
LOL at people overrating Kohli and Amla. They are both beasts in odi cricket, Amla is not in the top 5 test batsman (averages below 50) and Kohli is not in top 20 test batsman. Please don't reply with your opinions, I am talking about facts.

In his first 3 years, between Nov, 2004 and Nov 2007, Amla played 15 test matches and scored 714 runs with 1 century and averaged a mere 25.

In the past 5 years since Nov 1, 2007, Amla has played 49 matches and hit 16 centuries scoring 4,402 runs at almost 60 average (58.69 to be precise). Speaking of turning ones career around, it rarely gets any better than that.

The only other two players who averaged 55+ in the past 5 years I believe are Kallis (57+) and Sangakkara (56+) [Please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken here as my research wasn't exhaustive]

Moreover, many of these centuries/big scores were series defining, putting SA in dominant positions and sucking the life blood out of the opposition, while others were match saving ones. He's scored big runs everywhere in every conceivable condition including Ind, SA, Aus, Eng. Although the likes of Kallis, de Villiers, Smith, Steyn and Morkel have contributed heavily, Amla is probably the biggest reason why SA are currently ranked number one.

Ajfar
November 25, 2012, 06:16 PM
Kholi hasn't played that many Test matches yet. It's only a matter of time before he starts racking up runs in Test cricket. One of the main reason he is so successful in his career so far is because he is hungry for runs, he is hungry for success. He won't seat back and just be happy with his success in the shorter version. He will use these failures to motivate him and work his butt off till he gets it right.

Dilscoop
November 25, 2012, 08:59 PM
I thought these two would come good when the team needed them the most...

simon
November 26, 2012, 08:21 AM
just because Koheli had two or three bad test match doesnt mean he has no future in tests.
I agree with Ajfar bro..he is always hungry for runs and success, and wity the skills he has he will come back strong,its only a matter of time.

Sohel
November 26, 2012, 10:30 PM
Too early to say but I've now no doubt in my mind after watching today that Kohli, dispatching a full toss into the hands of fielder, will be a serious failure at Test Level. Pujara is much much better than him in longer version imo and will be averaging HEAD and SHOULDER above Kohli.

Not at all surprised to see this trigger happy post from someone who calls himself Kohli_Sox. The negative and puerile nick suggests disturbing malice towards a player made even more malicious by the presumption that you may be Bangladeshi. I'm not sure how healthy such bitterness can be for anyone.

Anyway, you are certainly entitled to your opinion just like everyone else, but I find your assertions about both players to be quite premature to say the least. Both are promising young players. I'd like to see Pujara to sustain his form and class and do just as well in more challenging conditions abroad over time. Kohli's test numbers haven't caught up to his incredible ODI and T20I numbers yet but I think that's just a mater of time. He did exceptionally well in Australia and I think we'll see him replicate that form and class more consistently a lot sooner than expected.

Sohel
November 26, 2012, 10:33 PM
They failed again. Considering how good they are, they both might score big their next matches.

I'll certainly bet on it. Not even great players succeed all the time, but they do fail less frequently because of their ability to learn from those failures and emerge stronger.

Sohel
December 1, 2012, 06:41 AM
Amla's Hamla witnessed. On 99* of a potentially match winning knock and I'm actually supporting Australia! :notworthy:

zsayeed
December 1, 2012, 02:12 PM
Did I see a hint of jitters last night?

zman
December 1, 2012, 09:38 PM
Congrats Amla on scoring another scintillating hundred, and in the process effectively taking the match away from Australia. Another glorious example of how the very best raise their game when the stakes are at their highest.

Sohel
December 1, 2012, 09:54 PM
18th test :100: for Amal as his Hamla continues at the WACA. In all likelihood a match winning innings that simply took the match away from the hosts in record time and the parteh ain't over yet folks!

Hamla isn't a "terrorism" reference BTW. It just rhymes well.

Sohel
December 2, 2012, 01:42 AM
Just 4 short of 200. A match winning innings nevertheless :notworthy:

Tiger Manc
December 2, 2012, 06:32 AM
Amla's a beast. Really happy for him.

Gowza
December 2, 2012, 07:49 PM
amla and clarke atm are just ridiculous in tests.

Kohli_Sox
December 6, 2012, 03:47 PM
Not at all surprised to see this trigger happy post from someone who calls himself Kohli_Sox. The negative and puerile nick suggests disturbing malice towards a player made even more malicious by the presumption that you may be Bangladeshi. I'm not sure how healthy such bitterness can be for anyone.

Anyway, you are certainly entitled to your opinion just like everyone else, but I find your assertions about both players to be quite premature to say the least. Both are promising young players. I'd like to see Pujara to sustain his form and class and do just as well in more challenging conditions abroad over time. Kohli's test numbers haven't caught up to his incredible ODI and T20I numbers yet but I think that's just a mater of time. He did exceptionally well in Australia and I think we'll see him replicate that form and class more consistently a lot sooner than expected.

Epic tasting moment. I've said Kohli wont be successful in test not only because I don't like him as a person. Get the facts right before making such comments. I wish I visited this thread more earlier. Anyways I am proving to be right more and more so with every test matches. I wish him success though because India atm need him.

Also I have noticed that you basically attack a poster in many of your posts if that poster doesn't tend to agree with you rather than providing any actual information. You should understand that a forum is for general discussion and about arguing. It's not to be taken personal like all the time you do. Argument is healthy for forum growth and that's for what forums exist in the first place.
Back to the argument. I'll show you how to post and justify your point rather than attacking a poster.

Kohli got into Indian team riding on his mainly under 19 shorter version performance. When you look at Pujara's and Kohli's FC numbers, there is a telling story. Kohli played only around 40 FC games with an average of 50 which is definitely on the higher side but with comparing to other Indian talents going around it's on lower side. Pujara has played 70 FC games and has some big scores under his belt e.g. 302* with an average of 56, Rahane has an avg of 63. Kohli while also being tremendously successful in shorter version and shown class there but this doesn't automatically qualify him to be successful in the long run in Tests. He still doesn't have that skill how to play or build in longer version. His temperament perfectly suits for only shorter version imo.

Last of all, putting Kohli in the same category as Amla is a joke. If the thread title only suggested it's only confined to "ODIs", it would have been perfectly all right. Amla is a world class test player and certainly on his way of becoming an ATG. Amla is in the league of Cook, Clarke and Smith for this era. Better quickly change the thread title imho to save the face.

Navo
December 6, 2012, 04:19 PM
^ Too early to make an assessment on how Kohli will do in Tests. He's really young and will play a bucket load of Tests (unlike our stars Tamim and Shakib), if health permits, both in India and away. Let's judge his performance in a few years.

riajul
December 15, 2012, 04:58 AM
3rd Test 100 for Kohli.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Sohel
December 16, 2012, 02:40 AM
Hopefully this century is the beginning of Kohli's rise in test cricket as well.

Tiger444
January 7, 2013, 08:52 AM
Kohli in the Pak tour was very ordinary and was Junaid's bunny. He looked extremely suspect outside his off stump and Junaid bowled really cleverly to totally own Kohli. Sooner or later his form was going to drop. The challenge now for him is to work hard on his weaknesses and come back strong in the England series.

zsayeed
January 7, 2013, 03:57 PM
" It was Wasim bhai (Akram) who told me to develop the incoming delivery which would be my weapon against the Indian right-handers," Junaid told PTI."

"Junaid had dismissed Virender Sehwag with an incoming delivery in Chennai and Virat Kohli in all three matches."

Achilles Heel Found (http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-pakistan-2012/content/current/story/600038.html)

Navo
January 7, 2013, 05:12 PM
As Tiger444 said, let's see how he works on this weakness.

Gowza
January 8, 2013, 02:41 AM
yes an average series for kohli, let's see how he bounces back.

BrianLara7
January 8, 2013, 10:35 PM
Kohli will bounce back depending on the pitches, if the pitches are bouncy/ seaming then the chances are very slim.

zsayeed
January 9, 2013, 01:51 AM
http://www.espncricinfo.com/inline/content/image/599136.jpg?alt=
http://www.espncricinfo.com/inline/content/image/599136.jpg?alt=

zman
January 11, 2013, 10:23 AM
The man from Durban is doing it again...as classy as ever, fast approaching his 19th test century

simon
January 11, 2013, 12:38 PM
just a machine

Hamlafan
January 11, 2013, 02:55 PM
19th Test Century, My Lord. I think he will easily surpass Smith's Test Centuries.

BrianLara7
January 11, 2013, 03:56 PM
19th Test Century, My Lord. I think he will easily surpass Smith's Test Centuries.
He is only 29, can play for 8/9 years and get over 40 test hundreds.

BrianLara7
January 11, 2013, 03:59 PM
I hope from now on people won't even put Kohli and Amla in the same category. Amla has a far better ODI average while playing on tougher pitches and not playing Sri lanka every other series. And let's not even compare them as test cricketers, Amla averages over 50 , while Kohli is in the 30's

al Furqaan
January 11, 2013, 11:52 PM
4 consecutive failures, the law of averages after he hit something like 5 tons in 6 matches early last year.

captainBD
January 12, 2013, 04:37 AM
Kohli not as impressive as he was last year, but amla is as good as he gets

Rabz
January 12, 2013, 05:59 AM
Amla is the silent run machine.
Goes to show what focus and dedication can do.

BrianLara7
January 12, 2013, 09:51 AM
Kohli will be regarded as one of the greatest flat track king/ poor bowling basher (SL, BD, WI etc) of his era. All his great performances have come on the flattest of pitches and usually against poor bowling like SL, only one hundred outside Asia.

deshimon
January 13, 2013, 06:28 AM
Why do people compare Amla with Kohli?Amla is far far ahead of Kohli in every sense.

zsayeed
January 13, 2013, 03:32 PM
^ Exactly - that was my thought
Opankteyo

BrianLara7
January 13, 2013, 03:34 PM
Why do people compare Amla with Kohli?Amla is far far ahead of Kohli in every sense.

Same reason mediocre bowlers like Zaheer who averages over 30 is compared with the legend that is Wasim Akram. Because he is Indian and it pays to compliment them when it comes to cricket. Utterly trash bowlers like Ashwin are compared to Swann.. lol

simon
January 15, 2013, 11:55 AM
Kohli failed today aswell.

prtikul
February 20, 2014, 04:58 AM
Still not convinced by Kohli's test credintials. Maybe he will have Ganguly like career.

I have always rated ABD ahead of Amla in every format.

Gowza
February 20, 2014, 05:13 AM
kohli is certainly on his way in tests, now averaging over 45 with 6 tons in 24 matches and consider he didn't score his first test ton until his 8th match well he's certainly doing well now and for me he's done enough to prove he's going to be one of the best test bats of his generation.

amla i've always been a bit iffy on, still a terrific player though and has the numbers to back him up, i to have always rated AB higher in all formats.

koushik
February 20, 2014, 05:39 AM
Now Kohli Is Improving with test av is 46 odi 51.
Amla test 50 odi 53
last 1yr amlas av was only 35 in test.in 2010-2012 amlas av was always 60 in both format.

Gowza
February 21, 2014, 09:42 PM
ABD is already in the top 5 SA run scorers all time for every format whereas amla doesn't make the top 5 in any of them yet. of course amla is only 30 so will still climb those positions but ABD is just about the same age and he's ahead in every format so far. amla will hit the test top 5 for SA this year no doubt (has less than a couple of hundred runs to hit that mark, same for t20s) but in ODIs he has a lot of runs to score, though the players between him and the top 5 are all retired now so they're numbers aren't moving but de villier's is currently #5 and he's likely to pass kirsten (the #4) in the next year or so which means amla will have to pass kirsten to reach the top 5 and that means amla still has greater than 2000 runs to achieve before reaching the ODI SA top 5.

both ABD and amla should end their careers as SA all time greats and potentially world all time greats.

koushik
March 24, 2014, 09:08 PM
8000 international runs
for Virat Kohli
In Test - 24 matches
1721 runs @ 46.51 , In
ODI's - 134 matches 5634
runs @ 52.16 , In T20I's -
23 matches 677 runs @
100-25
50-44 . What is your
favourite innings by
him ? For me it is either
119 at Johannesburg
against the likes of
Steyn , Morkel , Philander
and Kallis.

Gowza
March 29, 2014, 06:59 PM
amla just scored his first T20I half century.

Nadim
April 4, 2014, 02:23 PM
Kholi is such a good batsman to watch. I reckon he will surpass Tendulkar stats wise by the time he retires.

He have the age on his side and ha ve dedication for it unlike other top cricketers around the globe.

Navo
April 4, 2014, 02:41 PM
Kholi is such a good batsman to watch. I reckon he will surpass Tendulkar stats wise by the time he retires.

He have the age on his side and ha ve dedication for it unlike other top cricketers around the globe.

Especially in ODIs. Dunno about Tests...partly because we don't know how many Tests he'll get to play in roughly 15 years

Sohel
April 4, 2014, 10:30 PM
This was from July 22nd, 2012 when I opened this thread: -

Hashim's on 183* at the Oval, his 14th test 100 in 103 test innings, as I post this, while Virat hit his 12th ODI 100 in 83 innings. Hashim (29) averages 47 and 56 in tests and ODIs respectively, and Virat (24) 33 and 51. Both are also excellent T20I batsmen set to captain their countries in the future in all 3 formats of the sport.

Kohli is the best limited overs batsman in the game today on all surfaces. I'm sure he'll stamp his authority in tests also. Still just 25.5 and averaging 47 (tests), 52 (ODIs), and 44 (T20Is), he's a class apart in the middle. And with 19 ODI 100s already, I see him race past SRT in the format. He's a proven match-winner who dominates the 50-over game the way Sir Viv did.

Amla just turned 31 and being as fit as he is physically and mentally, I see him batting at a very high level until he's 40. Now averaging 51 (tests), 53 (ODIs), and 25 (T20Is), this late bloomer is still getting better despite the occasional and brief hiccup. I won't be surprised if he finishes his career with 40+ test and 20+ ODI 100s, and a T20I average close to 35.

Both are sublime to watch and make you love the game the way ABD and Clarke also do but this thread isn't about those blondes.

koushik
April 6, 2014, 12:39 PM
Kohli is the only cricketer with 45+ av in all three format

Sohel
April 7, 2014, 03:28 AM
I won't be surprised if Kohli averages 50+ in all three formats. Tough to get him out in T20Is and I anticipate lots of not outs.

al Furqaan
August 9, 2014, 04:53 PM
The rat's average almost sub 40 now. Definitely seems a product of the BCCI hype/PR machine right now. A high score of only 119 indicating a lack of temperament for the longer format. Puj's avg in the low 50s now as well. Only Rahane has maintained or increased his reputation.

The rat is still a beast in limited overs.

jeesh
August 9, 2014, 10:35 PM
Kohli is no doubt the best batsman in the World atm. But i wonder if he can hold on to the title if he keeps playing in foreign conditions?

Fazal
August 9, 2014, 11:08 PM
dhoopashhhhh.....

Gowza
August 9, 2014, 11:09 PM
I think Kohli will overcome foreign conditions it's just a matter of how long until he gets there. Meanwhile guys like Samson, tiwary and jadhav just had a really good A team tour down under, I'm not sure pujara is the long term #3, I'm not writing him off at all but are there other better indian batsmen on the rise? And can rahane keep up this sort of work outside of the SC? Kohli is potentially the long term #3 imo with Samson coming in as the long term #4 assuming he doesn't keep. Pujara could open unless someone like chand or jiwanjot or even reddy step up I reckon pujara and dhawan would make a good opening duo even though dhawan is on the outs atm and vijay is performing.

al Furqaan
August 9, 2014, 11:51 PM
Kohli is no doubt the best batsman in the World atm. But i wonder if he can hold on to the title if he keeps playing in foreign conditions?

Best limited overs batsman. In tests there are many better than him. De Villiers, Amla, Clarke, Bravo Jr, R Taylor, Sanga, etc. His numbers just aren't there.

Amongst youngsters I'd put Williamson and Root and Rahane ahead of him too. Heck atm, even B Taylor is outdoing him.

Gowza
August 10, 2014, 12:13 AM
Yeah there are a lot of batsmen ahead of Kohli in tests atm, even youngsters as mentioned in above post.

Equinox
August 10, 2014, 06:28 AM
Not for me. In Tests he isn't even Top 10. Across all formats de Villiers, Sangakkara and Amla are better.

Kohli's deficiencies have been exposed by England. He is tentative outside the off-stump when the ball is doing just a little bit. He needs to work on leaving those deliveries. He is very strong mentally and I'm sure he'll overcome this lean patch.

simon
August 10, 2014, 06:53 AM
it's just a poor form, he lacks confidence because he himself never went through this, Eng bowled smartly to him.
Otherwise Koheli is a proven cricketer outside sub continent,in tests he got a 119 & a 96 in JoBurg,a 116 in Adelaide, a 105 in Wellington.

zman
August 17, 2014, 02:30 PM
Lesson from this series - Kohli's got miles and miles to go before he can be compared to Amla in the longer format. That said he is a top notch limited over batsman like Gayle. I just hope this is not the beginning of a long drawn out lean patch like the one Cook endured.

NoName
August 17, 2014, 04:12 PM
I blame his gf :lol:

Tiger444
August 17, 2014, 04:59 PM
The likes of Amla, Sanga, Clarke, Jayawardena, Chanders and ABD are just on a different level as the rest and are all time greats. Kohli gets put in the same sentence often mainly because he's got such a great record in ODIs and naturally people put him in the same ranks but it's unfair to put him with them.

Like others have said, he's still got a very long ways to go before he can be in the same ranks as those players. He might actually never be but he can still be a very good batsman when it's all said and done.

Gowza
August 17, 2014, 08:59 PM
he's an ATG ODI batsman and has the potential to be a very very very good longer format batsman but yeah he's not on the level of those you mentioned.

koushik
August 17, 2014, 11:38 PM
The likes of Amla, Sanga, Clarke, Jayawardena, Chanders and ABD are just on a different level as the rest and are all time greats. Kohli gets put in the same sentence often mainly because he's got such a great record in ODIs and naturally people put him in the same ranks but it's unfair to put him with them.

Like others have said, he's still got a very long ways to go before he can be in the same ranks as those players. He might actually never be but he can still be a very good batsman when it's all said and done.

exclude jayawardane
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Gowza
August 17, 2014, 11:54 PM
exclude jayawardane
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Depends on your criteria for great, sehwag and jayawardene probably just under ATG level due to the wholes in their records.

koushik
December 18, 2014, 07:19 AM
Amla hits 3rd 200 in test.
he scored 208 before getting out
and on the other hand kohli smashed 2 ton in last test.