PDA

View Full Version : Stands in different stadiums should be named after former Bangladesh cricketers

Saifulsohel
July 27, 2012, 09:45 AM
In many countries,we see different stands named after former cricketers.Why not us?

AsifTheManRahman
July 27, 2012, 09:47 AM
Named after who? Name one player who wasn't and isn't a sissy in the country.

Naimul_Hd
July 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
In many countries,we see different stands named after former cricketers.Why not us?

Who says we don't have ?

Shahid Mostaq Stand (Southern Club house)

Shahid Jewel Stand (Northern)

playmaker
July 27, 2012, 11:51 AM
Who says we don't have ?

Shahid Mostaq Stand (Southern Club house)

Shahid Jewel Stand (Northern)

Pardon me but I never heard the names of them before. And if you think I dont know a lot about the history of BD cricket, youll be suprised that only a handful of youth nowadays have heard them well

KaaL-PurusH
July 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
can we make it Defeat to Netherland Stand, Defeat to Scotland stand

Maysun
July 27, 2012, 12:53 PM
And then there will be a big huge controversial debate about naming one after Ashraful :facepalm:

Naimul_Hd
July 27, 2012, 06:54 PM
Pardon me but I never heard the names of them before. And if you think I dont know a lot about the history of BD cricket, youll be suprised that only a handful of youth nowadays have heard them well

The traditional Victory Day cricket match was first organized in 1972 in memory of Liberation War martyrs Shaheed Abdul Halim Chowdhury Jewel and Shaheed Mushtaque Ahmed.

Brief profile of Shaheed Abdul Halim Chowdhury Jewel: Shaheed Jewel was an attacking right-handed opening batsman for Azad Boys Club who had earned quite a reputation for his attractive horizontal bat shots. His consistent batting form was taking him closer to his dream of earning a Test cap when the War of Liberation broke out in 1971. He was one of the first active cricketers of erstwhile East Pakistan to take up arms and join the fight for freedom. After a heroic nine months in the battlefields he was captured by the Pakistan army towards the end of the War and was killed days before Bangladesh became independent.

Brief profile of Shaheed Mushtaque Ahmed: A devout cricket organizer Shaheed Mushtaque was an inspirational official of Azad Boys Club. He dedicated his life to the betterment of his club and its cricket aspirations. On the blood-splattered night of March 25, 1971 Mushtaque was shot dead by the Pakistan army near his beloved Azad Boys Club which was at that time situated in Dhaka’s Gulistan.

Source: TigerCricket (http://www.tigercricket.com/news/the-victory-day-cricket-match-between-shaheed-jewel-xi-and-shaheed-mushtaque-xi-will-take-place.html)

cricket_king
July 27, 2012, 10:32 PM
The traditional Victory Day cricket match was first organized in 1972 in memory of Liberation War martyrs Shaheed Abdul Halim Chowdhury Jewel and Shaheed Mushtaque Ahmed.

Brief profile of Shaheed Abdul Halim Chowdhury Jewel: Shaheed Jewel was an attacking right-handed opening batsman for Azad Boys Club who had earned quite a reputation for his attractive horizontal bat shots. His consistent batting form was taking him closer to his dream of earning a Test cap when the War of Liberation broke out in 1971. He was one of the first active cricketers of erstwhile East Pakistan to take up arms and join the fight for freedom. After a heroic nine months in the battlefields he was captured by the Pakistan army towards the end of the War and was killed days before Bangladesh became independent.

Brief profile of Shaheed Mushtaque Ahmed: A devout cricket organizer Shaheed Mushtaque was an inspirational official of Azad Boys Club. He dedicated his life to the betterment of his club and its cricket aspirations. On the blood-splattered night of March 25, 1971 Mushtaque was shot dead by the Pakistan army near his beloved Azad Boys Club which was at that time situated in Dhaka’s Gulistan.

Source: TigerCricket (http://www.tigercricket.com/news/the-victory-day-cricket-match-between-shaheed-jewel-xi-and-shaheed-mushtaque-xi-will-take-place.html)

Thanks Naimul bhai. Salute to both of them. The fact that I haven't heard of them either fills me with shame.

BengaliPagol
July 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
It would definitely be nice to name stands after Shaheed Abdul Halim Chowdhury Jewel and Shaheed Mushtaque Ahmed. Possibly name a stand after Habibul Bashar or Mo Rafique as well. But i think Bashar's ego would be at an all time high if we had a stand named after him.

Isnaad
July 27, 2012, 11:52 PM
It would definitely be nice to name stands after Shaheed Abdul Halim Chowdhury Jewel and Shaheed Mushtaque Ahmed. Possibly name a stand after Habibul Bashar or Mo Rafique as well. But i think Bashar's ego would be at an all time high if we had a stand named after him.

If you missed the point, there already are two stands after them in Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium.

Sohel
July 28, 2012, 12:00 AM
I think we should have a "Fair Weather Fan" stand in every international venue in Bangladesh, permanently.

Zunaid
July 28, 2012, 12:29 AM
I think we should have a "Fair Weather Fan" stand in every international venue in Bangladesh, permanently.

That may take up the entire stadium.

M.H.Rubel
July 28, 2012, 01:47 AM

Yes we don't have any reputed world class player.But why so doomed?
I think Atahar Ali, Md Rafiqer both can fit there.

Max100
July 28, 2012, 01:49 AM
No, it should be named after our present prime minister hasina, her bro, sis, nephew, niece, uncle, long distance uncle, her father, mother, grand father, kajer bua. In bd, everything belong to them

Max100
July 28, 2012, 01:50 AM

Shakib, tamim

ahnaf
July 28, 2012, 01:58 AM

Shakib, tamim

among former cricketers its Rafique

AsifTheManRahman
July 28, 2012, 03:07 AM
Shakib, Tamim, Rafique are all losers. Losers who lose to Scotland, Irelands and the Netherlands. Rafique probably even lost to the likes of Bermuda. Sorry, unless they stop losing to associates, they will remain sissies, and no more.

Kabir
July 28, 2012, 04:15 AM
I completely agree. I want the following:

Sir Ashraful stand

deshimon
July 28, 2012, 08:11 AM
There are some players to be named the stands like Athar Ali, Bulbul, Nannu, Rafique, Akram, Bashar, Pilot. Though they weren't great players, our cricket has reached this position because of their contribution. Without lot of facilities they won ICC trophy 1997. Then cricket didn't have lot of money. Nobody dared to take cricket as a profesion. So they deserve it.

BANFAN
July 28, 2012, 08:21 AM
Shakib, tamim

It should never be a current player, unless he becomes a legend during his playing years... Like Sachin, Murali etc...entire ICC champion team and the team that played our first Test match .. Deserve it. They are all, part of our cricketing history...

playmaker
July 28, 2012, 08:27 AM
Shakib, Tamim, Rafique are all losers. Losers who lose to Scotland, Irelands and the Netherlands. Rafique probably even lost to the likes of Bermuda. Sorry, unless they stop losing to associates, they will remain sissies, and no more.

Losers? So you are claiming the only performers to be losers? Cricket is a team game and hardly these 3 could do much when we have losers like Mushy, Ash, Abulcrap, and others who dont do there part.

The overall impression of Bangladesh is that its a poor country. But does that mean you and I, we both are poor? Does the earning of our family help to improve the image of BD? According to you mentality, all the bangalis, even those in this forum, are poor just because we come from a poor country

Tigers_eye
July 28, 2012, 08:39 AM
With this enormous knowledge of the history of BD cricket you have, what good did it serve you in this topic? Just because you never heard of something doesn't mean it cease to exist.
+++
For any cricketer to have a gate or an end named after them, there should be a requirement by BCB. He/she should do regular cricketing camps involving youth or have an academy for at least 10 years. Why this criteria? Cause their performance surely doesn't warrant one. One must do something worthwhile to have his name on a gate or a stand.
+++
Tamim/Shakib??? Are you guys crazy??? Already pa matitey poray na. Ar end'a nam hoiley....asmaney urtey thakbey.
+++
Ashraful :facepalm:
+++
The only cricketer I think who has a legit claim to have a end or a gate to be named after him is "Rana". I wouldn't mind if Mo Rafique gets in as well.

Naimul_Hd
July 28, 2012, 08:43 AM
^^^ Another best candidate would be 'Aminul Islam Bulbul'. The First Test Centurion (the second-highest (145) in a nation's debut after Charles Bannerman's 165 for Australia in the first official Test match) of Bangladesh.

AsifTheManRahman
July 28, 2012, 11:05 AM
According to you mentality, all the bangalis, even those in this forum, are poor just because we come from a poor country
That doesn't make any sense.

As for TIK, SaH and MoRa, let's see them stop submitting to associates in every other game and then we'll talk. Bermuda/Scotland der haraite pare na abar kotha koy.

playmaker
July 28, 2012, 11:40 AM
That doesn't make any sense.

As for TIK, SaH and MoRa, let's see them stop submitting to associates in every other game and then we'll talk. Bermuda/Scotland der haraite pare na abar kotha koy.

Im not saying that TIK and SAH are dhua tulshi pata, but there is no use of blaming them only. They are only 2 players, there are 9 other players. And if most of those 9 players underperform as well, your team performance will be poor. And dont forget this is T20s, the margin between teams shorten here. Remember, the dutch even beat England :)

BengaliPagol
July 28, 2012, 03:03 PM
If you missed the point, there already are two stands after them in Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium.

Whoops...

Tipu606
July 30, 2012, 10:28 PM
how about the late Doulatuzzaman, he was the first Bengali to be selected to play in the Pakistan Team before independence of Bangladesh

Zeeshan
July 30, 2012, 11:47 PM
We should imho have a stand for Rana bhai. The cricketer who lost his life.

Nocturnal
August 25, 2012, 04:40 PM

A little more about Shaheed Jewel and Shaheed Mushtaque :
source - FB - [বাংলা]মুক্তিযুদ্ধের গল্প শোন[/বাংলা] [A Page totally based on liberation war'71] (https://www.facebook.com/Muktijuddhergolpo?ref=stream)

http://i.imgur.com/UcbN8.jpg
Photo: Shaheed Jewel

[বাংলা]***আসুন শ্রদ্ধা জানাই বাংলাদেশ ক্রিকেট দলের একজন কৃতি ক্রিকেটার এবং সাহসী গেরিলা যোদ্ধা শহীদ জুয়েল এবং মুস্তাকের প্রতি।***

এ প্রজন্মের ক্রিকেটারদের কয়েকজন জালাল আহমেদ চৌধুরীর চোখ দিয়েই যেন একপলক দেখে নিলেন শহীদ আবদুল হালিম চৌধুরী জুয়েলকে, 'তোমরা আজকাল খুব স্লগ সুইপ খেলো। এই শট কিভাবে ও কত ভালোভাবে খেলতে হয়, ৪০ বছর আগেই তা করে দেখিয়ে গেছে জুয়েল।' ব্যাটে 'জয় বাংলা' লিখে খেলতে নামার অপরাধে হুলিয়া জারির পর একাত্তরজুড়েই যাকে পলাতক জীবনযাপন করতে হয়েছে!এরপর ব্যাট ফেলে দেশের প্রয়োজনে হাতে তুলে নিয়েছিলেন স্টেনগান।পর্যদুস ত করেছেন হানাদারদের।

=========

কাঁচের ফ্রেমে বাঁধানো সাদাকালো একটি ছবি মায়ের হাতে তুলে দেন জুয়েল। ক্রিকেট পোশাকে ছবিটা দেখতে বেশ। ছেলের মুখ পানে তাকান ফিরোজা বেগম। জুয়েল বলতে শুরু করেন,“মা আমি যখন থাকবো না তখন এই ছবিটা দেখবে। আমাকে তুমি এই ছবিতেই পাবে।”

ফিরোজা বেগম বুঝলেন ছেলেকে আটকে রাখার সাধ্য তাঁর নেই। দেশমাতৃকার টানে ছুটছে ছেলে। কান্নায় ভেঙ্গে পড়েন মা। জুয়েল বাড়ি থেকে বেরিয়ে যান। অনেক দিন পর অন্যএক জুয়েল বাড়ি ফেরেন। তখন তিনি গেরিলা। আজাদ, রুমিদের সঙ্গে অপারেশনে যান। উড়িয়ে দেন হানাদার বাহিনীর আস্তানা। ধানমন্ডি, মগবাজারসহ ঢাকার অনেক জায়গায় চলে সুনিপুন গুপ্ত হামলা। মার খেয়ে বেপরোয়া হয়ে উঠে হানাদার বাহিনী।

আগস্টে একরাতে খাওয়া শেষে মগবাজারে আজাদের বাসায় মেঝেতে বিছানা পেতে ঘুমিয়ে পড়ে গেরিলা দল। জুয়েল সেই দলের অন্যতম সদস্য। আচমকা বাড়ি ঘিরে ফেলে পাকিস্তান আর্মি। পালাবার উপায় ছিলো না। সেনাররা গেরিলাদের রমনা থানায় নিয়ে যান। এরপর চলে নৃশংস অত্যাচার। তথ্য পেতে টর্চার সেলে রাখা হয় সন্ধ্যা পর্যন্ত। রাতে আনা হয় রমনা থানা হাজতে।

জুয়েলের খোঁজে বাবা আব্দুল ওয়াজেদ চৌধুরী ছোটেন রমনা থানায়। অনেক চেষ্টা তদ্বির করে ছেলের সঙ্গে দেখা করেন। বাবার সঙ্গে জুয়েলের শেষ দেখা হয় ৩১ আগস্ট, রমনা থানায়। এরপর থানায় রাখা হয়নি জুয়েলকে। তবুও অপেক্ষায় থাকেন পিতা, মাতা, ভাইবোনেরা। দেখতে দেখতে যুদ্ধ শেষ হয়। ১৯৭১ সালের ১৬ ডিসেম্বর আত্মসমর্পণ করে পাক হানাদার বাহিনী। কিন্তু জুয়েল ফেরেননি। শহীদের তালিকায় লেখা হয় আব্দুল হালিম চৌধুরী জুয়েলর নাম।

একজন ক্রিকেটার, একজন গেরিলা যোদ্ধা এবং একজন মেধাবী ছাত্রের সম্পর্কে বলতে গিয়ে কান্নায় ভেঙ্গে পড়েন বড় বোন সুরাইয়া খাতুন। আবেগ সামলে রাখতে পারেনি। ছেলেবেলার দিনগুলো স্মৃতি হাতড়ে ফেরেন সুরাইয়া।

ভাইয়ের বাকি অজানা কথাগুলো বোনের মুখেই শোনা যাক,“ও খুবই খেলা পাগল ছিলো। বিশেষ করে ক্রিকেট খেলার সুযোগ পেলে কারো বারণ শুনতো না। লেখাপড়ার পাশাপশি খেলাটাকে সে ধরে রাখে। পাকিস্তানে গিয়েও খেলেছে। আসলে পরিবারের বড় ছেলে হওয়ায় বাবা-মার অনেক আশা ছিলো জুয়েলকে নিয়ে। ঢাকা বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় থেকে বিএসসি পাশ করে বিদেশে পড়ার জন্য প্রস্তুতি নেয়। ওর পছন্দের বিষয় ছিলো গ্লাস এন্ড টেকনোলজি। কিন্তু গন্ডগোল লাগায় বিদেশে আর যাওয়া হয় না।”

আমি সবার বড়, এরপর জুয়েল। ওই আমার একমাত্র বন্ধু ছিলো। আমাকে কোন কিছু না বলে থাকতে পারতো না। যুদ্ধের আগে আমার বিয়ে হয়ে যায়। সিলেটে চলে যাই আমি। কিন্তু জুয়েল নিয়মিত আমার খোঁজ রাখতো। গেরিলা ট্রেনিং শেষে আমার সঙ্গে দেখা করে। বাসায় থেকে বন্ধুদের সঙ্গে যোগাযোগ করে অপারেশনে গিয়েছে।

আমরা পাঁচ ভাইবোন ছিলাম। জুয়েল শহীদ হয়। অন্য দুই ভাইও মারা গেছে। বাবা-মা আগেই চলে গেছেন। এখন দুই বোন বেঁচে আছি।

এই দেশটাকে দেখলে খুবই কষ্ট হয়। মনে হয় ভাইকে জিজ্ঞাসা করি এর জন্যেই কি তোরা যুদ্ধ করেছিস! শহীদ হয়েছিস! বলতে বলতে কান্নায় ভেঙ্গে পড়েন সুরাইয়া।

বিক্রমপুর জেলায়, শ্রীনগর থানার দক্ষিণ পাইকশা গ্রামে আব্দুল হালিম চৌধুরী জুয়েলের জন্ম। শৈশব এবং কৈশর কেটেছে গ্রামের বাড়িতে।

ক্রিকেটার হিসেবে বেশ খ্যাতি কুড়িয়েছিলেন জুয়েল। খেলতেন আজাদ বয়েজে। প্রথম শ্রেণীর ক্রিকেট কায়দে আজম ট্রফিতে নিয়মিত খেলেছেন।

জুয়েল এবং আজাদ বয়েজের সংগঠক শহীদ মুস্তাকের নামে প্রতি বিজয় দিবসে একটি প্রীতি ম্যাচের আয়োজন করে বাংলাদেশ ক্রিকেট বোর্ড। বরাবরের মতো এবারও হয়েছে প্রীতি ম্যাচটি। খেলায় চার উইকেটে জিতেছে শহীদ জুয়েল একাদশ।

===========

শহীদ মুশতাক ছিলেন ক্রিকেট সংগঠক। আজীবন কাটিয়ে গেছেন আজাদ বয়েজ ক্লাবে। জীবনে কত ঝড়-ঝাপ্টা গিয়েছে, কিন্তু ভালোবাসার ক্লাব ছেড়ে যাননি কখনো। ভাগ্যের কি খেয়াল, সেই ক্লাব-তাঁবুতেই জীবন দিতে হলো তাঁকে। ১৯৭১ সালের ২৫ মার্চ সেখানেই মুশতাককে গুলি করে হত্যা করে পাকিস্তানের আর্মি।

===========

জানিনা জুয়েল এবং মুশতাকের মা এখনো বাংলাদেশে দলে তার ছেলেদের ছায়া দেখেন কিনা। তবে এটুকু বলতে পারি যেই অগুনিত জুয়েল মুস্তাকের রক্তের বিনিময়ে আজ আমাদের লাল সবুজের পতাকা,সেই পতাকাধারী বাংলাদেশ দলের খেলোয়াড়দের উচিত সেই শহীদদের চেতনা বুকে গেঁথে বিশ্বের দরবারে এই পতাকা সবসময় সমুন্নত রাখা। [/বাংলা]

BANFAN
August 25, 2012, 04:56 PM
JAC had to pick "Slog Sweep" to praise/glorify such a person & cricketer....!!

Nice article... Thanks...