PDA

View Full Version : Mashrafee rues not being in Zimbabwe

chinaman
March 16, 2004, 08:19 PM
When Bangladesh secured a surprising win in the third one-day international of the five-match series against Zimbabwe at the Harare Sports Ground, a rather lonely Mashrafee bin Mortuza watched the game on television and grieved the fact that he was not out there in the middle.

He now fancies that maybe his presence there could have affected the results further than his teammates had already done and could have helped Bangladesh win the series.

“It is a bit frustrating that I was not there. However, I saw the magnificent win and that made me proud,” said the impressive bowler.

“I believe that if I were in the team Bangladesh could win the series,” said the sidelined bowler who is trying to recover from a knee injury.

Mashrafee suffered a freakish right-knee injury during the second Test against England in October 31, 2003. It was declared immediately that he would be out of the game for eight months.

“I am feeling better day by day. I will hopefully return to the team by start of the Champions Trophy slated to be held in September this year,” said the fast bowler affectionately called ‘Narail Express’.

Mashrafee underwent a surgery on his knee in November, operated by Dr. David Young in Australia, under the patronage of the BCB. Bangladesh team physios’ John Gloster and Justin Cordy have kept him in surveillance since the surgery.

“John advised me not to run at the moment. However, he instructed me to continue swimming and cycling along with some wait exercises.”

“I also feel I need to meet Dr Young again. I heard he will visit Sri Lanka soon and coach Dav Whatmore promised me he would inform me as soon as the doctor arrived there,” the 20-year old paceman said.

Mashrafee further informed that the doctors had assured him that he would be able to play competitive cricket from the last week of August, this year.

Mashrafee has also been receiving active support of his team members.

“The coach asked me to make a fast comeback before leaving the country for Zimbabwe and Namibia.”

Mashrafee, identified as a future bowling prospect by former West Indian great Andy Roberts during a short visit to Bangladesh, has had trouble with injuries from the beginning of his career.

In his brief career he has had two lengthy lay-offs both of which followed surgeries in India and Australia.

While he was on his way back to full fitness from a serious back problem sustained at New Zealand in 2001, he damaged his knee-ligaments during a skipping exercise practicing for the last cricket World Cup.

Mashrafee successfully recovered from a back strain, an injury to his left knee and an ankle injury, before the series against England.

Source: NewAge (http://www.newagebd.com/spt.html)

Rubu
March 16, 2004, 10:08 PM
looks like injury and masri goes hand by hand. too bad for us. anyway, not before september? that means we'll miss him in WI tour as well?

Beamer
March 16, 2004, 11:44 PM
Better late than never. We should be very careful with him. Its in our best interest to have him with a prolonged career. No other bowler, in masris absence, grabbed the oppurtunity to make headway ( pacers ). I am glad we are giving Shahadat an oppurtunity to play against the visiting Zim team. If he does well, he might get himself a ticket to the carribean.Tapash, with all his heart, doesn't have wkt taking threat. Monjus career is coming to an end. Tareq and Kabir aren't that impressive. So, its wide open for a young guy to take the oppurtunity.

billah
March 17, 2004, 05:22 AM
At least, now we know, September. BCB should take steps to give Shahadat some pace training. Mohammad Sharif, I wonder what condition he is in after his surgery. He was pretty good for a while.

James90
March 17, 2004, 06:41 AM
Masri needs to learn to be modest

oracle
March 17, 2004, 06:54 AM
Masri needs to learn to be modest

Yeah, I hope he gets his act together, mentally and physically. He needs to take responsibilty for his state too.

Pundit
March 17, 2004, 11:26 AM
HFan -

I think it is the translation that made his comments appear the way they have.

I think he was simply referring to his desire to contribute, more than his ability to.

sage
March 17, 2004, 11:53 AM
Actually I like the confidence in his voice, It is a fact that If we had him in Zim we could have got one more win.:)

say
March 17, 2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by sage
Actually I like the confidence in his voice, It is a fact that If we had him in Zim we could have got one more win.:)

I think if we had Kowshik in ZIM, we might have own all the ODI matches. The different between us and them was Streak and in my opinion, Kowshik could have neutralized that disadvantage. oh well...

shovon13
March 17, 2004, 07:02 PM
masri can also hit big in the slog overs. that would have also helped us put up some extra runs on the board.

well, beginning this september, hopefully he'll learn to evade injuries.

AsifTheManRahman
March 17, 2004, 09:16 PM
Well I think the tone was lost in the translation...what he actually meant was with his contribution, we could have won more matches, but not the way it looks like in the article...
Besides, whats wrong with fast bowlers talking big? I love it:lol:

Rubu
March 17, 2004, 10:04 PM
who is kowshik?

does anyone knows whats the bowling speed of masri? and what are the others we have, like paposh, ooops taposh and all that?

i was a bit detouched from indivisual performances statistics for a while, and trying to find out whats really special about masri.

can some one show me some light?

AsifTheManRahman
March 17, 2004, 10:11 PM
Kowshik and Masri are the same person...his full name's Mashrafee bin Martuza Kowshik...
He was reported to have bowled at 140-145 km/hr in certain series(for example when the A team toured India a couple of years ago) although I don't remember whether he reached that high in the WC, but then he was coming back from an injury at that time...
Taposh is pretty fast in my opinion...around 130 km/hr and some times as high as 136...but the others are pretty ordinary...around 120-128...
So Masri has the ability to scare the opponent with his pace, as he did against Zimbabwe at home...

say
March 17, 2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by AgentSmith
who is kowshik?

you gotta be kidding :)

shovon13
March 18, 2004, 01:59 PM
hahahaha

and besides, masri is a genuine wicket-taker. i mean come on, he actually bowls his heart out. and the guy is scary to look at when he is bowling, and THATS something our other bowlers dont have.

GO MASRI!!

Zephaniah
March 18, 2004, 04:38 PM
140-145 isn't bad if he can bowl constantly. Anything below 140 is fast-medium and they are plenty in world cricket. But i didn't know some of Bd pacers bowl at 120 KMPH. That's more like Kumble's top spinner! LOL

Ahmed_B
March 20, 2004, 10:34 AM
Masri's average speed is probably above 140 kmph.. n highests being above 145!
he is fast-AGGRESSIVE-thinking-young bowler!!
trust me... he is a jenuin threat to even the class batsmen of the other test nations!!!
He shud be given som tips and trainings on how to avoid injuries really!
and also... we need a few more fast bowlers like him (speeding above 140k):lol:

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 20, 2004, 10:41 AM
ji crickethorizon bhai,
i think mashrafee needs to take a 3 hour credit course during the summer when he will be just sitting down and resting on how to avoid injuries. he can go to a community college then it wont be that expensive anyway. and if he takes that course in summer he will be done by july so he will still have a lot of time before september. and one think i think he needs more tips on avoiding injuries than on how to frustrate a batsman.
another thing i want to say is that mashrafee's full name is
mashrafee bin mortoza koushik orphey norail express orphey mashree

Nasif
March 20, 2004, 11:02 AM
I posted this on other thread, but I will say it again, Masri's recorded max was 91.5mph (147Kph) in New Zealand.

[Edited on 20-3-2004 by nasif]

Zephaniah
March 20, 2004, 11:57 AM
Masri, Talha and tapash - they all will play home against NZ in october i hope

al Furqaan
March 20, 2004, 12:06 PM
the first home series in a year! inshallah, we will have masri, talha, tapash, enamul, and shahadat. in fact we can drop either talha or tapash (whoever is doin crappy at the time) and put in Md Rafique. that way we have 2 damn good spinners and 3 good quicks. rafique should be in all our games till he is so old that he forgets how to play. why was reinstated to the team only last year if he is so good?

Ahmed_B
March 20, 2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
he can go to a community college then it wont be that expensive anyway.

..wel our cricketers r quite rich in recent times.. they r playing awful lot of international cricket!
specially guys like Masri! ;)
i think he can afford expensive courses as well!!

shovon13
March 20, 2004, 03:48 PM
lol yeah!!! although masri's missed a lot of games too.

hey i'm still against rushing enamul to the international stage. we got rafiq already, let enamul mature a bit, play more with the A team. well he HAS shown his skills through all these matches, but .....

and he's not the greatest of batsmen. so Dav might want him to improve his batting a bit for the oneday team

Hasib
March 21, 2004, 12:35 AM
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/PICTURES/DB/122001/032554.jpg

New Zealand batsman Craig McMillan ducks into a bouncer delivered by Bangladeshi bowler Mashrafe Mortaza and is struck on the helmet during his innings of 106. 1st Test: New Zealand v Bangladesh at WestpacTrust Park, Hamilton, 18-22 Dec 2001 (20 December 2001).

Image: © Photosport 2001

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by Hasib]

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by Hasib]

reinausagi
March 21, 2004, 05:49 PM
Al Furqaan wrote:

the first home series in a year! inshallah, we will have masri, talha, tapash, enamul, and shahadat. in fact we can drop either talha or tapash (whoever is doin crappy at the time) and put in Md Rafique. that way we have 2 damn good spinners and 3 good quicks.

Apart from the fact that the team would look like a comet, it is a endearing thought. Make sure juveniles don't set off any firecrackers in the vicinity of the Kiwis. If they are doing poorly against BD, they'll use any excuse to turn tail and run home.

shovon13
March 22, 2004, 03:46 AM
HAHAHAHA!!!!

hope and fear