PDA

View Full Version : Godwin's Law

fab
March 17, 2004, 02:28 AM
"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

LINK (http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/faqs/godwin.html)

Dr Z - were you are Usenet junkie? ;)

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by fab : note to self: learn how to spell]

Zunaid
March 17, 2004, 01:31 PM
Yes, I used to be a Usenet junkie. Many moons ago, before the web and Mosaic and the "rest is history", there was Usenet and there was IRC, and there I was.

Fall of 1990 was when I got addicted. In fact I have the pleasure of voting "yes" when the call for votes went out to create soc.culture.bangladesh. This was in the days where you could actually have intelligent discussions about nothing and everything. Not how it is now - inundated with bigots, hate-mongers and morons.

The vote passed late October of 1990 and I made my first post early November. The whole initiative was started by Sheikh Kaiser Alam - now venerated as the "Father of SCB" -

[link to the vote results (http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~zmhasan/BD/scb_birth.html)] [father of scb thread (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=1992Oct30.190701.16976%40udel.edu&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dfather%2Bof%2Bscb%2Bsheikh%2Bkaiser%2 6hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D1992Oct30.190701.16976%2540udel.edu%26r num%3D1)]

I actually had the distinct pleasure of feting and being feted by the "Father of SCB" - he was at Arnab's current school up in Rochester. In fact, such was the size and state of SCB that within a quarter I had met over 20 posters face-to-face from all over the country.

My first post on rec.sport.cricket predates SCB. Here is a link to my third post (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=zunaid+group:rec.sport.cricket&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=17&as_maxm=3&as_maxy=1991&selm=37739%40nigel.ee.udel.edu&rnum=1) on rsc that should put me up with on the Bangladesh Cricket Fans Hall of Fame. This was in Nov 30, 1990 while most members here were still in nappies.

So, my dear. Yes, I was a junkie. Now just have mild cravings. The only group I monitor religiously other than some techie groups is rec.sport.cricket where often I had to fight a lonely battle to defend the pride of Bangladesh Cricket. (Takes bow)

- Zunaid

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by Zunaid : tpyoes]

chinaman
March 17, 2004, 01:53 PM
Hat's off to you Dr. Z. You came a long way. Proly it was you I was sared of in late 92 or early 93 :lol:. There were lot's of netiquettes and FAQs and then there were political visionaries. Infoseek's ( was it infoseek?) search on usenet gave so much tutorials on netiquette that I still yet to make a single post (well except for one or two posts in a MS-Word related group.)

Well, now I know who to blame for my non-recovering fear of usenet. :duh:

There were bulletin boards through hyperterminal, oh, imagine if we have to use that for banglacricket today!

[Edited on 3-17-2004 by chinaman]

fab
March 17, 2004, 05:23 PM
I also remember the days of using Archie/Veronica, gopher or lynx where text ruled. Heck I STILL use PINE to read my email :) Usenet/SCB I never really got into, probably for the same reasons as chinaman.. IRC hmm I Retake Courses is what we used to call it! But it's all good. I would never have 'met' (albeit virtually) so many cool Bangladeshis if it wasn't for the Internet.

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by fab]

Nasif
March 17, 2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by fab
Heck I STILL use PINE to read my email :) [Edited on 17-3-2004 by fab]

PINE rules! But only on shell ;)

I used to post on scb few years ago. Left it as most people there seems to be ready for a fight all the time.

IRC rules! I still use it, not for chat though ;)

fab
March 17, 2004, 05:35 PM
They have non shell PINE? I suppose the only problem with pine is when people send emails with embedded html or xml..

Nasif
March 17, 2004, 05:38 PM
I don't think they have non-shell pine.

fab
March 17, 2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Zunaid
[link to the vote results (http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~zmhasan/BD/scb_birth.html)] [father of scb thread (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=1992Oct30.190701.16976%40udel.edu&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dfather%2Bof%2Bscb%2Bsheikh%2Bkaiser%2 6hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D1992Oct30.190701.16976%2540udel.edu%26r num%3D1)] OMG! Sheikh Kaiser Alam = Shuja bhai? I have known him for ages but NEVER knew he was the 'father of SCB'. You learn something new every day... The only group I monitor religiously other than some techie groups is rec.sport.cricket where often I had to fight a lonely battle to defend the pride of Bangladesh Cricket. (Takes bow) Yeah I noticed you there! There are like what - a grand total of 4 BD fans there? Anyway, nowadays that group has also degraded to be an Au vs SL mudslinging competition venue..

AsifTheManRahman
March 17, 2004, 08:24 PM
umm...
What are you guys talking about?:-/:embaressed:

Arnab
March 17, 2004, 08:34 PM
old skool internet

---------

Off topic:

I want to officially (to my knowledge) use this emoticon for the first time

:pig:

'ello porky! Why are you here?

fab
March 17, 2004, 09:43 PM
Sorry to disappoint you but I recall that acker has used that emoticon in the "To Veil or not to Veil" thread..

say
March 17, 2004, 11:05 PM
my first net experience was through gopher. we had to do a report for a econ class that 'required' using the net. Few of us huddled over a terminal and tried all sorts of commands to figure out how to navigate. So with a vax mail account and gopher that was the start. Then I got hooked to usenet and MUDs/talkers through telnet. Does anyone remember 'the resort', ' foothills' etc. talkers? I wasted quite a bit of time there. Later my friends seem to get hooked to irc etc. but somehow I skipped that fad and got straight into egroups.

fab
March 18, 2004, 02:11 AM
MUD! Multi User Dungeons/Dimensions.. we had a lot of MUD addicts at my uni who would sit at the labs all day and play. I dunno I never really got into that.
Just out of interest, when, i.e. what year, did you have to use gopher for an econ class?

say
March 18, 2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by fab
MUD! Multi User Dungeons/Dimensions.. we had a lot of MUD addicts at my uni who would sit at the labs all day and play. I dunno I never really got into that.
Just out of interest, when, i.e. what year, did you have to use gopher for an econ class?

I think it was 94/95. Back then I thought internet, net, gopher or veronica everything was the same..

Orpheus
March 18, 2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by fab
Sorry to disappoint you but I recall that acker has used that emoticon in the "To Veil or not to Veil" thread..

EIther you have a really really good memory OR You have no life like me!

How does one remember when where who used what emotions??

Unbelievable.....

:bald: did anyone use this? Now you gonna remember me using this.

fab
March 18, 2004, 05:18 PM
hahahaha! No, I just remember it coz he used it in a reply to one of my posts and the use of it had certain connotations :)

No I don't remember if anyone used :bald:
and yes I probably will remember you as being the first to use it :P

Arnab
March 20, 2004, 03:45 PM
Ok how about combinations of emoticos that might be deemed offensive to certain religious types? :)

:pig:
   :drool:

[Edited on 20-3-2004 by Arnab]

Orpheus
March 20, 2004, 04:12 PM
OH MY Yahu!!! You are defaming the Jew!! Kill him.. Ban Him! We want Justice. Banglacricket is OUR messageboard! How dare he use the very place we provide to defame us..... Nuke that terrorist and make him eat his own porky.

Arnab
March 20, 2004, 04:25 PM
I think it's Yahveh.

Orpheus
March 20, 2004, 07:17 PM
hmm sounds much Godly? but I couldve sworn I saw yahu somewhere...

Arnab
March 20, 2004, 08:03 PM
Oh no!

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/shootingsoldier.gifhttp://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/shoot3.gif

Hasib
March 21, 2004, 12:20 AM
right...

(by the way... remember how I used ALL the icons in the "?" forum?)

Orpheus
March 21, 2004, 02:43 AM
Hasib, did anyone ever tell you that no one cares. Your posts on whereever doesn't count.

I used it first... Period! If you don't like it -let's take it outside yo! I will make you look like the icon... :bald:

:bald::bald::bald::bald::bald::bald::bald: