PDA

View Full Version : Is Mahmudullah being under utilised as a bowler?

BengaliPagol
August 25, 2012, 08:27 PM
Whats your opinion guys?

http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/00501/TH14_BANGLADESH_501769f.jpg
(Wow Shafiul is really skinny...)

nightwatchman
August 25, 2012, 08:43 PM
Whats your opinion guys?

http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/00501/TH14_BANGLADESH_501769f.jpg
(Wow Shafiul is really skinny...)
yes as we know he was not being used properly by mushfiq in the final against Pakistan in asia cup. we coulda won if Mushfiq had used him .
Even Ian Pont agrees with that

M.H.Rubel
August 25, 2012, 09:15 PM
In test level he is a good bowler. But he is not a good limited over bowler. He can serve 4-6 overs in O D I. In that case combination of Riyad with a pace bowling Allrounder will be good.

Gowza
August 25, 2012, 10:32 PM
He actually does quite well as a t20 bowler, doesn't do as well in ODIs and tests. Don't forget when he started playing tests BD were playing a very very weak WI XI, I don't think he has any other notable performances in tests other than that series.....but he certainly does well as a t20 bowler and has his moments in the other formats.

Maysun
August 25, 2012, 11:22 PM
He is a better T20 bowler. I agree with MH Rubel. 5-6 from Riyad and some one else can finish the quota, maybe Nasir should develop his bowling?

Isnaad
August 25, 2012, 11:33 PM
Yes, he really is a good T20 bowler. But our spin department is already strong enough. It's our pace department that worries me.

M.H.Rubel
August 26, 2012, 12:08 AM
He actually does quite well as a t20 bowler, doesn't do as well in ODIs and tests. Don't forget when he started playing tests BD were playing a very very weak WI XI, I don't think he has any other notable performances in tests other than that series.....but he certainly does well as a t20 bowler and has his moments in the other formats.

Recently he is doing better against B grade teams. Still his T20 and O D I stats are not with him. Rather those are poor as a bowler.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/56025.html

fuadomar
August 26, 2012, 01:02 AM
Yesterday's bowling in SLPL was impressive. He got 3 wickets, out of 2 seemed something like a doosra. It could have easily been 4 if he didn't drop the catch of his own.

mac
August 26, 2012, 01:38 AM
If he wants to step up as a regular bowler then this is the perfect time, Saqlain is with the team. Spend as much time learning the trade, specially maintaining good line and length. He often bowls one bad ball every over.

rinathq
August 26, 2012, 03:34 AM
Well ofcourse he is under utilized. I am not saying he is shakib part 2. but he is definitely the second best all rounder here. He is an offie which is a strong reason why he should bowl more than he does. If he was another SLA than no thank you. You dont get to bowl more than 3-4 overs unless you have stats to back you.

Riyad proved before that he can be a partnership breaker. Obviously not always but pretty frequently>
Riyad is not a run checker or an overly aggressive bowler. He is a balance. he doesnt get bashed very often if you guys noticed.

So yea definitely.. i would like to see him bowling 2-3 overs in T20 and 6-7 overs in ODI at least frequently...

Kohli_Sox
August 26, 2012, 09:02 AM
Under utilized; should be bowling more in T20

playmaker
August 26, 2012, 09:14 AM
Well I dont think so.

Riad is a good support bowler not a bowler youll hand over the ball when you need wickets. Abdur razzak is one very good support bowler to guys like sunny and sakib. So i can understand

But what he gets is good enough :up:

zahidnyc
August 26, 2012, 08:00 PM
He is been always good performer with the bat 'now he is showing a class of his bowling ' another real big asset for bangladesh after sakib and tamim ' he is been developing a good offspin bowler for bangladesh ' honestly i think mahmudullah is better batsman than sakib by potentially in test matches ' but he need more confidence bcz he looks nervous when out their , thats what kills him i guess ' but their no dout mahmuduallh bhai is now great and heavy reliable player for bangladesh ' i am sure he will get chance in ipl if he can do better in wt20

Dhakablues
August 26, 2012, 08:55 PM
Well, we used to say the same thing about Shakib too when he started that Shakib is a part time bowler. With more chances Shakib got, the better spinner he became.

Riad doesnt get much chances but when he does, even if he is isnt taking wickets, he is pretty economical. I think Riad's offspin is definitely something we could've used more and his team at SLPL does definitely see it in him.. I hope Mushfique takes some note of his ability. Hopefully with Saqlain's help, Riad becomes even a better spinner than he is now..

shakibrulz
August 27, 2012, 12:44 AM
He has improved a lot as a bowler in T20s and ODIs, could really rely him to bowl 3 overs at least in a match. So probably fine to drop Razzak or Sunny out and play one additional batsman.

Gowza
August 27, 2012, 02:04 AM
He has improved a lot as a bowler in T20s and ODIs, could really rely him to bowl 3 overs at least in a match. So probably fine to drop Razzak or Sunny out and play one additional batsman.

razzak and sunny are kind of vital to the team...they bowl 10 overs, if riyad gets 3 of those 10 and sunny/razzak are replaced by a batsman then who gets the other 7 overs? don't get me wrong, riyad has done really well as a bowler in t20s lately, and certainly we can use him for 4 overs in t20s probably every match but in one-dayers he's not been as successful, plus razzak and sunny are pretty good bowlers so riyad's going to have to step it up to take overs away from them.

Sohel
August 27, 2012, 02:07 AM
Riyad bowls better in tandem with someone creating pressure from the other end. He's also good at taking advantage of spin-friendly conditions when in an aggressive and confident mood. Looking forward to better Doosras from him now that SaMu's there to teach him.

BengaliPagol
August 27, 2012, 02:36 AM
Mahmudullah doesnt get that many chances to bowl so i dont expect him to do realy when given the ball. So i reckon the more he balls the more confident he gets. In my eyes he is a more than capable bowler. The team isnt using him to his potential.

jeesh
August 27, 2012, 04:34 AM
I dont think he has enough in his bowling to be utilized more. He is better than Naeem and Nasir, but he isnt someone who will bowl more than 4-5 overs in most ODI's.

He is very predictable and because, he tosses the ball he is very easy to work around for ones and twos. Other than that he relies very much on line and length and hopes the batsman plays a bad shot.

There is a lot more he can do. Think of Hafeez, think of Dilshan, think of Marlon Samuels, think of Yusuf Pathan. All these guys are more than capable of bowling 10 overs and can give batsmen enough of trouble. Difference between them and Riyad is probably utilization of intelligence. All these guys can read the batsmen and bowl according to the situation. They use the bowling crease, vary the pace, flight etc. Riyad's approaching is more like playing a slot machine-just toss it up, and lets hope something happens. There's something different about him in SLPL, maybe Saqlains work. Hope he can pick up a thing or two. Because definitely he has the capable of doing more than a part time bowler

Gowza
August 27, 2012, 06:40 AM
i think he could be used a little more, but i definitely don't think he should be taking overs away from a guy like sunny who for all of his exposure to international cricket has shown that he's a very valuable asset and a great wicket-taker. riyad would have to improve a lot to bump out sunny imo, and he'd be more valuable in tests with that for variety reasons. sunny looks like a terrific prospect, in 2-3 years he could be the best spinner around and we're thinking of dropping him so riyad can get more overs and we can play another batsman?

in t20s for sure riyad can be used a lot, in one-dayers he can get a few overs every match but the amount depends on the day, in tests he's still useful but not a frontline bowler but he's a good support bowler.