PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Shariful Haque Banned Indefinitely for Spot Fixing

Zunaid
September 4, 2012, 07:43 AM
From Cricinfo:

Former Bangladesh cricketer Shariful Haque has been banned for an indefinite period after spot-fixing allegations made against him before the Bangladesh Premier League by Mashrafe Mortaza were substantiated, BCB president said after a board meeting.

More to follow
http://m.espncricinfo.com/s/showPage.do?siteId=74340&pageId=News&storyNo=580838&newsDetails=true&itemTitle=Bangladesh%20player%20banned%20for%20fix ing

Zunaid
September 4, 2012, 07:44 AM
Oldies might remember him by his nickname Plabon.

He played just one ODI for Bangladesh, against India, in 1998.

dash
September 4, 2012, 08:11 AM
Oldies might remember him by his nickname Plabon.

He played just one ODI for Bangladesh, against India, in 1998.

yap.. an offie

zinatf
September 4, 2012, 08:12 AM
Oh so this was the former player :smh:

roman
September 4, 2012, 08:13 AM
I remember Plabon. Was a Spinner. Wasn't it him who cost us a match in ICC trophy?

If found guilty, BCB should give an exemplary punishment to this pathetic thug. Show no mercy

zinatf
September 4, 2012, 08:16 AM
From Cricinfo:

Former Bangladesh cricketer Shariful Haque has been banned for an indefinite period after spot-fixing allegations made against him before the Bangladesh Premier League by Mashrafe Mortaza were substantiated, BCB president said after a board meeting.

More to follow

Zunaid Bhai link please?

Zunaid
September 4, 2012, 08:19 AM
Link is Cricinfo. :)

Just go there or
http://m.espncricinfo.com/s/showPage.do?siteId=74340&pageId=News&storyNo=580838&newsDetails=true&itemTitle=Bangladesh%20player%20banned%20for%20fix ing

Naimul_Hd
September 4, 2012, 08:21 AM
Damn...for a sec i thought it was 'shafiqul haque hira' ! Phew

Sohel
September 4, 2012, 08:44 AM
Looks like we're keeping up with the Joneses. Shabash Plabon! Now run for office and become a minister.

Zunaid
September 4, 2012, 08:48 AM
From tonight's BCB Board meeting:

The Board discussed the inquiry committee report on an anti corruption issue raised during the inaugural edition of the Bangladesh Premier League T20. The four member inquiry committee was headed by BCB Senior Vice President Mahbub Anam. The other members were BCB Directors Gazi Ashraf Hossain, Siraj Uddin Md. Alamgir and BCB Acting CEO Nizam Uddin Chowdhury.

As per the recommendation of the committee the Board decided to refrain from engaging former national cricketer Shariful Huq in any cricket activities under the Bangladesh Cricket Board’s jurisdiction in future. His activities around cricket will also be carefully monitored by the Board.

samircreep
September 4, 2012, 09:30 AM
Since I'm an oldie, I remember Plabon specifically cos off the ICC Cup match against Kenya where he was thrashed all over the ground. Prior to that, he was a pretty good bowler.

Poor guy, got caught with his hand in the cookie jar...

NoName
September 4, 2012, 10:06 AM
Never heard of him.

Roni_uk
September 4, 2012, 10:35 AM
unknown player - did he really play in BPL? Why is this even on cricinfo if he is not a national team player.

banindfan
September 4, 2012, 10:56 AM
Shame..bpl needs to be monitored

roman
September 4, 2012, 11:01 AM
unknown player - did he really play in BPL? Why is this even on cricinfo if he is not a national team player.

He played back in ICC trophy era. He told Mash to Spot fix during BPL..

Mash is the real hero here. Not only he refused this grimy offer but he also went to BCB about it. Reapect Mash..

AsifTheManRahman
September 4, 2012, 11:03 AM
Plabon isn't an unknown player - he was relatively well known in the domestic leagues back in the 90's. No, he didn't play in the BPL - AFAIR he retired a while back - but tried to leak info out of Mashrafe the night before the tournament began.

kalpurush
September 4, 2012, 01:18 PM
Well, delayed, but a right decision was taken by BCB. Congrats!

MarufH
September 5, 2012, 09:21 AM
I dont like how cricinfo (Isam bhai) wrote BD player banned. its a misleading title. would it really hurt to include the word "former"

AsifTheManRahman
September 5, 2012, 09:30 AM
I dont like how cricinfo (Isam bhai) wrote BD player banned. its a misleading title. would it really hurt to include the word "former"
Yeah, these subtleties do matter and it's unfortunate that they often get overlooked.

shuziburo
September 5, 2012, 11:31 AM

Good observation.

Kabir
September 5, 2012, 01:55 PM
What a shame. But glad it's caught now.

kalpurush
September 5, 2012, 02:01 PM
WAIT!
Wasn't there few more complaints regarding match fixing??

akabir77
September 5, 2012, 03:05 PM

Yeah, these subtleties do matter and it's unfortunate that they often get overlooked.

Good observation.

He never officially retired so theoretically he is still bd player (off form ey like ash or SN). If it was SN would you write former or bd player?

Ajfar
September 5, 2012, 03:58 PM
He never officially retired so theoretically he is still bd player (off form ey like ash or SN). If it was SN would you write former or bd player?

The guy played in the 90s.,Ash/SN can still get selected for BD this guy can't because he doesn't play anymore. When someone hasn't played a game in so long, its pretty given that this guy 'retired'. There is no rule that says he has to officially retire in order for him to be called a former BD player.

AsifTheManRahman
September 5, 2012, 04:03 PM
I don't think he's played in domestic competitions for over a decade either.