PDA

View Full Version : Mental Strength

BrianLara7
September 9, 2012, 04:15 PM
I think we are all aware of that BD players dont really have anything in the department of mental strength, but what is the reason for this? After the usual losses against top 8 teams/ occasional but regular losses against minnows we hear excuses like these are just boys or they are not experienced and all other usual crap.. but you will never hear crap like this from professional teams even if they are fielding a team with players 20/21 years old.. I think we just treat all these players like little kids and they take advantage of this, no such things as accountability. Take the example of a failed player like Ashraful, after so many years of playing international cricket and having played more matches than some greats of the game he still has typical excuse like "I was dropped after one match" or "one good innings". What's the reason that time and time BD players fail because of this lack of mental strength? How can this change?

OMG
September 9, 2012, 04:42 PM
They cant control emotions. When they hear the crowd cheer after they hit a boundary they go in to children mode!! before they even know what the next ball will be they have already decided they going to hit big. This is big problem with tamim most of all. His idol is afridi and affridi admited in a interview that he has the same problem Lol.

I think they need coaching on coping with emotions at the crease. They are human afterall and they get excited, but as prof sportman they need to know when they are getting overexcited and need to do breathing excercise or something lol.

BrianLara7
September 9, 2012, 04:46 PM
They cant control emotions. When they hear the crowd cheer after they hit a boundary they go in to children mode!! before they even know what the next ball will be they have already decided they going to hit big. This is big problem with tamim most of all. His idol is afridi and affridi admited in a interview that he has the same problem Lol.

I think they need coaching on coping with emotions at the crease. They are human afterall and they get excited, but as prof sportman they need to know when they are getting overexcited and need to do breathing excercise or something lol.

well that explains all his brainfarts then.. if his idol is afridi.. but looking at our team you would think all batsmen have afridi as their idol..

OMG
September 9, 2012, 04:56 PM
We cant keep expecting too much of shakib. He cant be a one man team. I feel sorry for him because he is in a team with such poor team mates. If he was in a team like australia he would have been even better than he already is. I dont get angry with him when now and again he doesnt perform, he performs more often than not and thats all you can ask of him, you cant ask someone to perform well all yhe time.

AsifTheManRahman
September 9, 2012, 05:31 PM
This ma er achol er concept has to go. I'm afraid the problem is deeply rooted into our people's culture and it isn't just our players who suffer from it. We need more moms like Nazimuddin's.

BrianLara7
September 9, 2012, 05:36 PM
This ma er achol er concept has to go. I'm afraid the problem is deeply rooted into our people's culture and it isn't just our players who suffer from it. We need more moms like Nazimuddin's.

Hit the nail on the head, in this culture they always have excuses lined up even before doing something so after the eventual failure they wont have to own up. Way too many irresponsible mentally weak players in the team to succeed in international cricket.

Tiger444
September 9, 2012, 05:59 PM
1 of the problems is the lack of experienced and seasoned players in our team. I read in an interview where they asked Younis Khan about why Kohli has gotten so much better than Umar Akmal despite being on the same level. He brought up the fact that Kohli was surrounded by the likes of Dravid, Tendulkar, and Laxman whereas Umar was not surrounded by the same quality batsmen. Of course that doesn't apply to everyone because Rohit has been a bust despite being surrounded with great batsmen but I believe it plays a part. The locker room environment is very important in a team. I remember in an article that Tendulkar would yell at Kohli if he did something wrong in the nets.It helps that the likes of Sanga, Jayawardena, Cook, Amla, and Hussey are there with their respective young players.

Our own guys, on the other hand, were pretty much on their own. Guys like Tamim, Shakib, and Mushy are obviously much better than the likes of Javed Omar, Habibul Bashar, and Khaled Mashud. Even though they're the leaders of the team, they're still relatively young to be leading the team. Hopefully with time they start to mature and become better leaders of the team.

Tiger444
September 9, 2012, 06:04 PM

1 of the problems has been that it was too hard to become a cricketer in BD. It's national team or bust. It was a very encouraging move that all the FC players now in BD are under payroll. This should've been in place a long time ago. Hopefully now parents won't be as skeptical to have their kids become cricketers as there's a lot more opportunity now.

Gowza
September 9, 2012, 06:30 PM
they need focus and determination. focus on what they are doing at the time and determination to move through the situation. sometimes you need to knuckle down, sometimes you need to be aggressive, sometimes you need a balance between the to.

really it is a lifestyle, you can't be unfocused, and not determined, not have a strong work ethic, not have high standards etc and expect to go out on the field in a match and perform. you have to ingrain it, it has do be something you do daily.

cricbook
September 9, 2012, 06:37 PM
afganistan ra jodi jitte pare ......oder ato problem nie........amader mental problem my f...t

cricbook
September 9, 2012, 06:39 PM
[ akhon pink sari pore ghora uchit......i need to see zunaied get the hell out from the team....

Night_wolf
September 9, 2012, 10:37 PM
mental problem hen problem ten problem..we suck at sports thats it

even with all the advantages of modern live we suck..england had many british indian/british pakistani players..but i cant even find a british Bangladeshi county player...we Bangladeshis suck at sports

BrianLara7
September 9, 2012, 10:50 PM

even with all the advantages of modern live we suck..england had many british indian/british pakistani players..but i cant even find a british Bangladeshi county player...we Bangladeshis suck at sports

Well thats definitely true but IMO some of these guys lack mental strength far more than ability.

World Champs
September 10, 2012, 12:55 AM
BCB needs to organise A team tours to other countries or emerging players tour. Even if its for ODi series against state teams of other top countries. A win in different conditions will certainly give confidence to young players and give them the belief and will improve their over all development.

Zeeshan
September 10, 2012, 01:17 AM

even with all the advantages of modern live we suck..england had many british indian/british pakistani players..but i cant even find a british Bangladeshi county player...

shetai, if we had 10 paisa for every odjuha'at and excuses we hear so far, we'd be filthy rich by now..

we Bangladeshis suck at sports

And some even have the spardha'h to suggest to parents that they want to be players when they grow up. Let's face it Jose, you aint no playin' no cricket. Who's going to have your back when you cannot make the nationals? Life is a big party now, but if -God forbid- parents die, how long can you live off them?

Be a man, churn out those algebra numbers and stick to school.

Zeeshan
September 10, 2012, 01:35 AM
My 10 Demotivational Tips
1. If a particular activity is not working, then perhaps it's time to give it up.
2. Give up!
3. Failure is the cement of dooms and ruins.
4. Daydreaming is associated with celibacy.
5. If you worked hard and failed, possibly you don't have that God given talent.
6. Don't embarrass yourself.
7. Set goals you can reach. Some possible goals: Arriving to practice on time. Being runner for 12 the man for Pouroshova XI, conceding 12 runs in first over when it could have been 36+.
8. This life is an illusion. Prepare for hereafter.
9. Out-of-the-box thinking usually results in out-of-the-part treatment. Keep it simple.
10. You are NOT Gayle or Levi. You CANNOT hit sixes off every delivery or dream of T20 100 at this stage.

jeesh
September 10, 2012, 02:30 AM

Night Wolf has said it all. Mental problem, physical problem everything.

If other developed countries played cricket seriously, they would overcome us with ease. Outside football the only sport we used to win medal in is kabaddi. Now i doubt we can even win in that. We have one shining light in golf, and a few decent performers in chess. Apart from that we are a flop in every sport.

Naimul_Hd
September 10, 2012, 03:07 AM
My 10 Demotivational Tips
1. If a particular activity is not working, then perhaps it's time to give it up.
2. Give up!
3. Failure is the cement of dooms and ruins.
4. Daydreaming is associated with celibacy.
5. If you worked hard and failed, possibly you don't have that God given talent.
6. Don't embarrass yourself.
7. Set goals you can reach. Some possible goals: Arriving to practice on time. Being runner for 12 the man for Pouroshova XI, conceding 12 runs in first over when it could have been 36+.
8. This life is an illusion. Prepare for hereafter.
9. Out-of-the-box thinking usually results in out-of-the-part treatment. Keep it simple.
10. You are NOT Gayle or Levi. You CANNOT hit sixes off every delivery or dream of T20 100 at this stage.

11. The First step to failure is trying.
12. After playing handful amount of matches, if your average sucks, then you suck too.
13. Practice only makes a MAN perfect, not an IDIOT !
14. If you don't succeed after getting lots of chances then don't act like a sissy. Well, actually you are a sissy, never mind !
15. Sometimes the best solution to the problem is 'leave the job and do something else where you can fit in' !

sireza
September 10, 2012, 03:17 AM
Friends u must have noticed our selection method of players by the selector’s lacks the justification of including a player in a particular format of the game. For instance, let’s take the current T20 player in particular the Batsman’s, on what basis the following Batsman are selected.

A.TAMIM………...............S/R…….100.23
B.MUSFIQUR………………. S/R…….104.71
C.NASIR HUSSAIN………..S/R……. 116.51
D.MAHMUDULLAH……….S/R…….. 85.12

Whereas the following players are having much higher S/R then the above players.

A.AFTAB AHMED…………S/R………..128.08
B.JAHURUL ISLAM……….S/R………..142.85
C.JUNAID SIDDIQUI……..S/R………..147.22
D.SHAHRIAR NAFEES…….S/R………..147.05

As we all know that the T20 selection method should be on the S/R of a batsman and what’s happening it’s the other way round therefore we are not performing well. It is my request to BCB and the selection committee to follow at least the selection norms and criteria while selection a player from the A side/ First class to a national player than only we will be truly able to perform well.

Naimul_Hd
September 10, 2012, 03:54 AM
Friends u must have noticed our selection method of players by the selector’s lacks the justification of including a player in a particular format of the game. For instance, let’s take the current T20 player in particular the Batsman’s, on what basis the following Batsman are selected.

A.TAMIM………...............S/R…….100.23
B.MUSFIQUR………………. S/R…….104.71
C.NASIR HUSSAIN………..S/R……. 116.51
D.MAHMUDULLAH……….S/R…….. 85.12

Whereas the following players are having much higher S/R then the above players.

A.AFTAB AHMED…………S/R………..128.08
B.JAHURUL ISLAM……….S/R………..142.85
C.JUNAID SIDDIQUI……..S/R………..147.22
D.SHAHRIAR NAFEES…….S/R………..147.05

As we all know that the T20 selection method should be on the S/R of a batsman and what’s happening it’s the other way round therefore we are not performing well. It is my request to BCB and the selection committee to follow at least the selection norms and criteria while selection a player from the A side/ First class to a national player than only we will be truly able to perform well.

SR certainly a critical factor for selection process. However, if we tend to select players only based on SR then i am afraid, we will be full of 'hoy chokkaah, na hoy mokkah' type players.

Besides, SR does not necessarily indicate that batsman will be more effective in T20. For example, if a batsman faces 6 balls, scores 20 runs and gets out. His SR will be higher but he wont be effective in long run. Look at Aftab's stats (last 11 matches). His SR is 128 but how many balls he faced ? 19, 6, 6, 49, 14, 34, 11, 17, 5, 14, 3 ! :-| As you can clearly see, he hardly stays there at the crease. Now, look at Tamim's stats. For last 11 matches, he faced 28, 6, 9, 18, 14, 31, 9, 37, 22, 53, 46 ! Here you can see Tamim at least stays at the crease and scores run a ball (SR 100) !

Now you tell me, if you were selector who would you pick ?

1. A batsman whose SR is 163, scores 18 runs off 11 balls Or,
2. A batsman whose SR is 108, scores 50 off 46 balls

So, my point is selecting a batsman solemnly based on SR is not a good idea. You have to consider the other factors such as how long he stays at the crease, how consistent he is, recent form etc.

Gowza
September 10, 2012, 04:13 AM
BCB needs to organise A team tours to other countries or emerging players tour. Even if its for ODi series against state teams of other top countries. A win in different conditions will certainly give confidence to young players and give them the belief and will improve their over all development.

they need to organise both A tours and emerging player tours, along with the academy tours, that way a lot of young prospects are getting experience and they're also getting more experience since they'll have an extra level to move through (emerging player tours) as now there are really just academy tours on occasion and A team tours on occasion.

sireza
September 10, 2012, 09:08 AM
SR certainly a critical factor for selection process. However, if we tend to select players only based on SR then i am afraid, we will be full of 'hoy chokkaah, na hoy mokkah' type players.

Besides, SR does not necessarily indicate that batsman will be more effective in T20. For example, if a batsman faces 6 balls, scores 20 runs and gets out. His SR will be higher but he wont be effective in long run. Look at Aftab's stats (last 11 matches). His SR is 128 but how many balls he faced ? 19, 6, 6, 49, 14, 34, 11, 17, 5, 14, 3 ! :-| As you can clearly see, he hardly stays there at the crease. Now, look at Tamim's stats. For last 11 matches, he faced 28, 6, 9, 18, 14, 31, 9, 37, 22, 53, 46 ! Here you can see Tamim at least stays at the crease and scores run a ball (SR 100) !

Now you tell me, if you were selector who would you pick ?

1. A batsman whose SR is 163, scores 18 runs off 11 balls Or,
2. A batsman whose SR is 108, scores 50 off 46 balls

So, my point is selecting a batsman solemnly based on SR is not a good idea. You have to consider the other factors such as how long he stays at the crease, how consistent he is, recent form etc.

Nice Stats and observation but I wonder what benefit does MAHMUDULLAH, NASIR HUSSAIN, MUSFIQUR RAHIM serves to the T20 format instead of AFTAB who can bowl too and can be asked to bat a bit longer period under the guidance of the coach, SAHRIYAR NAFEES a seasoned typical T20 player & JAHURUL ISLAM who can keep also in place of Musfiq. TAMIM can be exceptional but should be cautioned and asked to increase the S/R in T20 and continue along with Ashraful plus Saqib, Ziaur, Mashrafee, don’t u think that our batting will be more powerful and meaningful then the present line-up in T20 format.

Your Stats are fine for couple of exceptional batsman but not all four out of six. In every format there has to be a SELECTION CRITERIA and then we can have a couple of exception. In 50 over / Test matches game they should look for the best average players and off course the exception remain but not for the whole team.

Similarly they should have a SELECTION CRITERIA on the bowlers, all-rounders and wicket keeper. An off-spinner should not be selected unless he learns how to bowl DOOSRA, look at this gordhob MAHMUDULLAH, haven’t learned the art of DOOSRA yet whereas u recall MURALIDHARAN & HARBHAJAN initially they didn’t know the art but the moment it was introduced by SAQLAIN MUSTAQ they leaned it quickly therefore BCB should announce loud and clear to all the off-spinner of the country those who are in the first class circuit should learn the art of DOOSRA otherwise will not be selected.

Similarly the left arm spinner should know the WRONG-ONE, the LEGGIS should know the GOOGLY, and all fast bowlers should swing both ways.

Under the above criteria we can expect the real cricketing talent will come out and serve the nation.

RazabQ
September 10, 2012, 12:13 PM
sireza - you do realize that Nafees couldn't cut it in our _domestic_ T20 league? While being an icon player? While being the skipper? More important than digging up stats is the ability recognize the right ones and interpret them. And then apply cricketing common sense. JuSi and Jahurul have a fair shot at the 11 (they are in the squad and clearly coach and captain are not seeing sufficient from them).

And if it was that easy to learn how to bowl doosrans and wrong-uns [বাংলা]তহোলে তো হোইতো[/বাংলা]. Graham Swan, Razzak, Vettori seem to have done just fine on accomplished limited over careers without having a "doosra". Your recipe will have us a country full of bowlers with suspect action.

[বাংলা]স্বল্প বিদ্যা যে ভয়ন্কর সেটা প্রমান কোরছো[/বাংলা]

sireza
September 11, 2012, 03:26 AM
sireza - you do realize that Nafees couldn't cut it in our _domestic_ T20 league? While being an icon player? While being the skipper? More important than digging up stats is the ability recognize the right ones and interpret them. And then apply cricketing common sense. JuSi and Jahurul have a fair shot at the 11 (they are in the squad and clearly coach and captain are not seeing sufficient from them).

And if it was that easy to learn how to bowl doosrans and wrong-uns [বাংলা]তহোলে তো হোইতো[/বাংলা]. Graham Swan, Razzak, Vettori seem to have done just fine on accomplished limited over careers without having a "doosra". Your recipe will have us a country full of bowlers with suspect action.

[বাংলা]স্বল্প বিদ্যা যে ভয়ন্কর সেটা প্রমান কোরছো[/বাংলা]

My dear Moderator,

Nice explanation and at the end a very nice comment in Bangla.

You did not mention or suggested any selection method for the T20 team if not than S/R and average suggested by me, how then our selectors select if these things are not important. I didn’t get you on Nafees, kindly advise why Nafees & Aftab not selected for the T20 team? Why Jahurul and Junaid still sitting on the bench, therefore will always remain sort of runs like we were against T & T last match, that’s my observation.

Swan is the only off-spinner at present who does not know the art of DOOSRA but rest all having this art except the BD off-spinners.

Razzak & Vetori are not off-spinners and both of them possess a wrong-one therefore they are fine.

As per you all off-spinners those who are having DOOSRA’S at present are having suspect action? Vary strange observation!!!

Night_wolf
September 11, 2012, 04:19 AM
My dear Moderator,

Nice explanation and at the end a very nice comment in Bangla.

You did not mention or suggested any selection method for the T20 team if not than S/R and average suggested by me, how then our selectors select if these things are not important. I didn’t get you on Nafees, kindly advise why Nafees & Aftab not selected for the T20 team? Why Jahurul and Junaid still sitting on the bench, therefore will always remain sort of runs like we were against T & T last match, that’s my observation.

Swan is the only off-spinner at present who does not know the art of DOOSRA but rest all having this art except the BD off-spinners.

Razzak & Vetori are not off-spinners and both of them possess a wrong-one therefore they are fine.

As per you all off-spinners those who are having DOOSRA’S at present are having suspect action? Vary strange observation!!!

if you follewed BD cricket regularly you wouldn't ask why nafees and aftab isn't in the t20 team..Junaid got couple chances in europe and tnt tour but failed to capitalize, Johurul bats at number 3, that shop atm is occupied by shakib

jeesh
September 11, 2012, 05:36 AM
Aftab, Junaid, Naeem, Kapali-all potentially good T20 players. All capable of clearing the boundary with ease. Only issue-the subject of this thread. Perhaps thats why they are not in the team.

Naimul_Hd
September 11, 2012, 05:46 AM
Aftab, Junaid, Naeem, Kapali-all potentially good T20 players. All capable of clearing the boundary with ease. Only issue-the subject of this thread. Perhaps thats why they are not in the team.

Lol...isn't it ironic ? Asking question why Aftab, Junaid, Kapali is not part of T20 team on a thread where we are discussing 'mental strength' of players !!! :lol:

BengaliPagol
September 11, 2012, 06:29 AM
i like Naeem Islam because he has a nice bowling action.

World Champs
September 11, 2012, 07:19 AM
they need to organise both A tours and emerging player tours, along with the academy tours, that way a lot of young prospects are getting experience and they're also getting more experience since they'll have an extra level to move through (emerging player tours) as now there are really just academy tours on occasion and A team tours on occasion.
Bdesh plays very less cricket, they need to play more cricket in different conditions. But the problem is in the present FTP there aren't many matches.

BCB should let your national team play against A teams of top test playing countries in their home conditions in free period. It will be a good exposure for your team and some cricket is better than no cricket at all.

shuziburo
September 11, 2012, 08:13 AM
IMHO, only three players in the team have unquestionable mental strength, Shakib, Mash, and probably Nasir. Part of it is inborn, but it can be developed.

Rabz
September 11, 2012, 09:15 AM
^^ Mash ??
I doubt it.
He may be a bagher bachcha but still cr@ps his pants in the slog overs.
Those shaky nerves doesnt look good on his mental toughness.

Night_wolf
September 11, 2012, 09:43 AM
^^ Mash ??
I doubt it.
He may be a bagher bachcha but still cr@ps his pants in the slog overs.
Those shaky nerves doesnt look good on his mental toughness.

i just want to brake my TV when i see him throwing those loolypop full tosses at the death overs..i mean 10 years mash..you have 10 years of experience :facepalm:

M.H.Rubel
September 11, 2012, 09:43 AM
IMHO, only three players in the team have unquestionable mental strength, Shakib, Mash, and probably Nasir. Part of it is inborn, but it can be developed.

Suja vai, I do agree with you. Mash, Shakib and Nasir has good mental strngth. I want to add another name.
Though Mushy is an emotional guy still he looks mentaly very strong to me.

mufi_02
September 11, 2012, 10:04 AM
I say TI has some mental strength too. After the BPL and selection drama he was in tremendous pressure. Loitta didn't want to take him and Akram Khan almost resigned. He came back and scored 4 50's against quality opposition.

ahnaf
September 11, 2012, 10:21 AM
^couldnot agree more.. I dont think any of our player would be able to perform like that under so much pressure except Shakib..
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Night_wolf
September 11, 2012, 10:24 AM
Suja vai, I do agree with you. Mash, Shakib and Nasir has good mental strngth. I want to add another name.
Though Mushy is an emotional guy still he looks mentaly very strong to me.

Sorry Rubel Bhai but i'll have to disagree with some points

1. Mushy is mentally strong i agree but it depends on cases. if everything is going well and opposition plays poorly mushy is mentally really strong and you can depend on him taking us home. but in certain cases mushy is mentally really weak. for example take the case in the test match vs pak, where it was mushy's fault that shakib got runout for 144. We were playing really well at that time and after shakib got out it was mushy's duty to bulk up and take the team farther as it was his fault shakib was runout. but what did mushy do he gets out couple of balls later to a nothing delivery. This case happend to mushy one more time. Now i dont know if you remember the multan test, Inzamam ran out younus khan afair and pak was in deep trouble against us, as soon as inzi got younus out he looked devastated. it was his fault but inzi bulked up and took pak to a memorable victory and saved them humiliation. Now thats mental strength for me.

2. Mash's case is also the same. if anybody says mash is mentally weak he is joking. The number of knee surgeries this guy had if anybody else had those he wouldn't be able to walk rather playing cricket. Mash is incredible strong mentally thats why we still see him playing cricket. But sadly his mental strength ends there. in crunch situations of a match mash is the least likely person you would want to depend on, he lost us matches in crunch situations before and still struggles today

3. I was amazed with nasir from his debut, i thought my god we have another player who is mentally as strong as shakib if not more, thats why i was really surprised when he froze in the asia cup final. but it was the 1st big match of his career. he should be excused. nasir is in the right mental development stage where all this big matches will built his character. i dont know when we'll get another match as big as the asia cup final, i hope we get it fast, i really want to see how much nasir has learned form his asia cup meltdown

JamshedPK
September 11, 2012, 10:43 AM
@ Bangla fans, how do you guys judge mental strength of players?
three main factors to judge mental strength:
1. Pitch Condition, 2. opposition total, 3. Individual score (overall contribution to the team's total - Winning Score)
can you tell me some players that u guys have who has three factors ticked?

Ps: Once bangladesh stops playing @ pitch like Dhaka or similar conditions, Bangladesh will realize how far behind they are. To be honest Zimbabwe is a more consistent side @ playing good cricker than bangladesh.

mufi_02
September 11, 2012, 10:56 AM
@ Bangla fans, how do you guys judge mental strength of players?
three main factors to judge mental strength:
1. Pitch Condition, 2. opposition total, 3. Individual score (overall contribution to the team's total)
can you tell me some players that u guys have who has three factors ticked?

@Pak fans,

1. Pitch Condition - Lord's
2. Opposition Total - Eng 1st innings 505. Bowlers were - Anderson, Finn, Bresnan, Swann
3. Individual Score - 55 and 103. (23.7% of team total)

1. Pitch Condition - Old Trafford
2. Opposition Total - Eng 1st innings score 419. Bowlers were - Anderson, Finn, Swann, Shahzad
3. Individual Score - 108 and team scored 216 in 1st innings. 50% contribution

Player - Tamim Iqbal Khan

Back to back match in 2010 against full strength English team.

JamshedPK
September 11, 2012, 11:00 AM
@Pak fans,

2. Opposition Total - Eng 1st innings 505. Bowlers were - Anderson, Finn, Bresnan, Swann

2. Opposition Total - Eng 1st innings score 419. Bowlers were - Anderson, Finn, Swann, Shahzad

Please don't give something that has no meaning, I was talking about winning.. Don't want u to give me names that by scoring 150+ end up losing. I was refering to winning score.

OMG
September 11, 2012, 11:00 AM
@Pak fans,

Was there not also a win against Australia at Lords 2005? Aus 249-5/BD 250-5

Night_wolf
September 11, 2012, 11:01 AM
guys aita akta khandani troll made in pakistan..plz aitare khaoanor kono mane hoyna..dont waste your valuable bandwidth

JamshedPK
September 11, 2012, 11:03 AM
Was there not also a win against Australia at Lords 2005? Aus 249-5/BD 250-5

@ lords to chase 250 is not a hard task.

mufi_02
September 11, 2012, 11:03 AM
Please don't give something that has no meaning, I was talking about winning.. Don't want u to give me names that by scoring 150+ end up losing. I was refering to winning score.

Bhai, you didn't mention 'winning' and so how would I know?

OMG
September 11, 2012, 11:09 AM
@ lords to chase 250 is not a hard task.

Actually it was the Oval.

AsifTheManRahman
September 11, 2012, 11:12 AM
Mash is strong off the field - there's no question about that. What he's done to repeatedly come back to the team after everything he's been through physically is admirable. However, as soon as he lays foot on the cricket field, he's yet another pussy cat among green-shirted pussy cats.

roman
September 11, 2012, 11:23 AM
Mash is not a pussy cat. A guy who goes through 7-8 major operations, and comes back strongly to international cricket is a valiant cat in my book. Yes, Mash sucks at death overs but he is still our best opening bowler. And in these hit or miss cricket days, we should not judge a bowler based solely on death overs..He needs to work on that skill no doubt and he can master that skill if he tries hard. (I have said this before, Mash should seriously work on death over bowling) but.that does not make him a pussy cat..He is the bagher baccha and we should all be proud of him...

M.H.Rubel
September 11, 2012, 11:28 AM
Sorry Rubel Bhai but i'll have to disagree with some points

1. Mushy is mentally strong i agree but it depends on cases. if everything is going well and opposition plays poorly mushy is mentally really strong and you can depend on him taking us home. but in certain cases mushy is mentally really weak. for example take the case in the test match vs pak, where it was mushy's fault that shakib got runout for 144. We were playing really well at that time and after shakib got out it was mushy's duty to bulk up and take the team farther as it was his fault shakib was runout. but what did mushy do he gets out couple of balls later to a nothing delivery. This case happend to mushy one more time. Now i dont know if you remember the multan test, Inzamam ran out younus khan afair and pak was in deep trouble against us, as soon as inzi got younus out he looked devastated. it was his fault but inzi bulked up and took pak to a memorable victory and saved them humiliation. Now thats mental strength for me.

2. Mash's case is also the same. if anybody says mash is mentally weak he is joking. The number of knee surgeries this guy had if anybody else had those he wouldn't be able to walk rather playing cricket. Mash is incredible strong mentally thats why we still see him playing cricket. But sadly his mental strength ends there. in crunch situations of a match mash is the least likely person you would want to depend on, he lost us matches in crunch situations before and still struggles today

3. I was amazed with nasir from his debut, i thought my god we have another player who is mentally as strong as shakib if not more, thats why i was really surprised when he froze in the asia cup final. but it was the 1st big match of his career. he should be excused. nasir is in the right mental development stage where all this big matches will built his character. i dont know when we'll get another match as big as the asia cup final, i hope we get it fast, i really want to see how much nasir has learned form his asia cup meltdown

I do agree with you that in some situations Mushy failed to show his mental strength. But follow few points Mushy is not a gifted player even his mental strength is not also gifted. All he has to do is make himself mentaly strong by just making up the mind and preparing to face the situation. He is a very hard working guy. He have the determination and have you noticed how much he is improving day by day? In several situations lot of batsman denied to play upper order but Mushy never.
Just think he is a keeper, Middle order batsman plus captaining a team like Bangladesh. He has a huge tough task and he is doing well so i ll have to agree that he must be a tough guy.
Any way i have a feeling that he will do realy good in his future.To me mental strength is all about crossing ones own physical ability.

Gowza
September 11, 2012, 07:39 PM
mushy is as talented as any batsman in BD, mentally he still has work to do, as said he has the grit and determination, he works hard (as we can tell by his improvements to-date), he just needs that balance to put it together more often in more situations, more frequently. he's shown he can perform in tough situations, he's shown he can improve his game from a physical standpoint so i think it's just a matter of time before he can make it work more consistently, might take some time but imo it will come together.

RazabQ
September 11, 2012, 07:50 PM
sireza - my being Moderator has nothing to do with the cricketing opinions I mention. To answer your question, the criteria for choosing a batsman for T20 should be the same as for any other side
1) Ability to perform against high-class bowling, as illustrated by average, strike rate, # of balls faced
2) Mental strength to deliver in pressure situations, as illustrated by past performances in pressure matches
3) Ability/liability to team in other areas such as fielding, RBTW, bowling.
4) Passing the "eye-test"

For a T20, ostensibly, SR should count more than # of balls faced. But just as important is what kind of bowlers those runs were scored against.

As for my point about SN: he couldn't even make it to a BPL side. His coach dropped him even though he was the captain. What makes you think he's the answer for the National side?
Aftab only passes #3 and #4 and fails in #1 and #2.

I truly do believe the T20 squad we have is the best one we can put together right now.

RazabQ
September 11, 2012, 07:51 PM
As Moderator: And seriously guys. Don't feed the troll