PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh Is Emerging as a force in ODI's

BengaliPagol
September 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
As the title suggests i think we are becoming a force but only in the ODI format. This article not only talks about Bangladesh's Asia Cup success but about the respect that is overdue. It is a well written one.

Cocky Aussie cricket fans should join the Tigers’ roar

By Geoff Lemon (http://www.theroar.com.au/author/geoff-lemon/), 22 Mar 2012

<!-- .head -->http://cdn0.theroar.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Bangladesh-cricket-297x202.jpg
Bangladesh emerging as a force in cricket (AFP)

<!-- .adbox -->There is a casual arrogance native to many Australian cricket fans. Ours is the most worthy side in the world, we think; our absence from the top an anomaly to be ironed out. Other cricketing nations are regarded with disdain. India’s achievements don’t count because they can’t win in Australia (and never mind the fact that we can’t win over there).

West Indies are a twitching corpse, which those who remember the 70s and 80s still quite enjoy giving the odd sly kick. Sri Lanka are never rated, despite making three of the last five World Cup finals. England might have beaten us once or twice lately, but nothing can wipe away the memory of Mike Atherton. Anyway, we all know they’ll implode pretty soon because they got beaten by Pakistan.

Pakistan, by the way, are a bunch of cheats. South Africa a pack of chokers. New Zealand don’t deserve a Shield side. (What happens in Hobart…)
And then there are Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, who naturally enough don’t count at all; their only use a means of discrediting the records of subcontinental players who have the temerity to be deemed rather good.
Bangladesh in particular have become a byword for cricketing incompetence – promoted too soon, never able to compete. The only references in Australia’s press are patronising or dismissive.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/03/22/cocky-aussie-cricket-fans-should-join-the-tigers-roar/

BengaliPagol
September 15, 2012, 11:13 PM
OMG if you go to the link of the article and read the comments there is a guy named Ian Whitchurch. I think his nick on BC is by the name of IanW. :big_hug:

Zeeshan
September 15, 2012, 11:23 PM
Great share. Nice to see a different spin on matters other than the regular sources.

Navo
September 15, 2012, 11:24 PM
Great article and really fun, encouraging comments from IanW :D

These are my favorite quotes:

1) There was Ashraful’s 2004 ton against India, which inspired one of my favourite cricketing paragraphs from Rahul Bhatia.
“I felt robbed when Mohammad Ashraful walked away, head bowed… The show had ended halfway, and I wanted my money back. This kid had scored 158 in a few hours, made decent bowlers look really bad, and played as if he’d come out to set things right for Bangladeshi cricket all by himself.
“He hooked, pulled, jived, boogied, nearly killed spectators, and, to top everything, went at the follow-on mark like an enraged bull. Each time you thought it couldn’t possibly get any better, Ashraful would not only make it better, he’d also give you free ice-cream. I think the word for an innings like this is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.”

2) ...as did the emergence of the tenacious and thoroughly admirable Shakib.

As captain, he often took the team on his young shoulders, leading with bat and ball while taking every result personally. Having passed the captaincy on, that burden has lightened, and he is free to be his team’s champion without also being its strategist. No man should have to be both Achilles and Odysseus.

BengaliPagol
September 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
The thing about this article that made it enjoyable to read is that it is an Australian writer who is praising (can i repeat this PRAISING) Bangladesh's efforts. A fantastic article.

Gosh I miss those Ashraful day's. :(

As the thread name suggests Bangladesh are very comfortable in the ODI format of the game. We can really put our name in shining lights in this particular format.

BengaliPagol
September 15, 2012, 11:34 PM
@Navo i loved those quote as well. Truly commerates what Ashraful has given to the BD fans during his career.

kalpurush
September 15, 2012, 11:49 PM
Thank you Bpagol bhai for sharing the article :)

Nice read indeed!

World Champs
September 16, 2012, 12:33 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if Asia cup turns out to be turning point in the ODI history of Bdesh.

Maysun
September 16, 2012, 12:35 AM
I read it twice. What a lovely article. Thanks for sharing it with us¡

zinatf
September 16, 2012, 12:50 AM
Thank you Geoff Lemon really appreciate it :clap:

Thank you B_P as well for sharing it with us....gosh the way Lemon described Ashraful's innings made me relive it again....sweet old memories, but then again Jason Gillespie's double hundred also made me...umm...never mind, but yes, we are gradually taking one step at a time and Insha Allah we'll reach there soon :)

BengaliPagol
September 16, 2012, 01:24 AM
I think when Aussies refer to Gillespie's double century they chuckle over how bad Bangladesh are.

Naimul_Hd
September 16, 2012, 02:28 AM
Nice share.

Did not know, that many aussie supporters support us :)

Out_You_Go
September 16, 2012, 04:32 AM
Taking this as an excuse, lets re-live some of Ash's day..shall we? :big_hug:

94 vs. England (2005)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1oUARdPsqc

100 vs. Australia (2005)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBqSCzBIBHY

61 vs. West Indies (2007)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxa1g6isNbA

zinatf
September 16, 2012, 04:57 AM
Ahh!! Wish he played like this. He could have been our greatest cricketer.

Rabz
September 16, 2012, 05:08 AM
The article is 6 months too late, isn't it ?
I mean being here.

AbuDarda
September 16, 2012, 08:28 AM
Who's this man Ian Whitchurch? is he a bangladesh? a pure well wisher of our cricket!

BengaliPagol
September 17, 2012, 12:06 AM
The article is 6 months too late, isn't it ?
I mean being here.

An article is an article. Doesnt matter how late it is. The purpose of the article was to praise the BD boys so i still would be happy to read after 2 or even 3 years later.