PDA

View Full Version : Mushfiq's captaincy

shuziburo
September 20, 2012, 09:49 AM
Mushfiq has not excelled as a captain. Shakib used to make mistakes, but at least used his head. Mushfiq cannot think outside the box. Hell, he does not even know the box! I don't think he has ever read Mike Brearley's The Art of Captaincy, which should be the required reading for all skippers.

Richie Benaud's said, "Captaincy is 90% luck, only 10% skill - but don't try it without the 10%." Mushfiqur is lacking in these 10%, I think. He is a great chirper behind the stamps, though!

jeesh
September 20, 2012, 10:01 AM
Unfortunately he has to continue the role because there is no one else to take it. Let Shakib focus on his batting and bowling.

He seems to be a good motivator and people person. He just needs to figure out the tactical bit of the game better.

shuziburo
September 20, 2012, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately he has to continue the role because there is no one else to take it. Let Shakib focus on his batting and bowling.

He seems to be a good motivator and people person. He just needs to figure out the tactical bit of the game better.

I wish he does, but I don't know whether he has the knack. His captaincy has not improved one bit since he started.

crikss
September 20, 2012, 10:31 AM
I say bring back Ashraful as captain :D (we got No option except Mushi )

NoName
September 20, 2012, 10:44 AM
If Ash is captain, he'll lose the ability to even score 20+ runs.

SS
September 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/527862_467947373244980_1417330087_n.jpg

source: Banglacricket facebook

I just clearly see that he is big candidate of LBW or getting bowled...I would not have complained if he was in good form but offform batsmen clearly will get out if he can not connect or see the ball properly playing this type of shot before getting set...and there is no time to get set in t20

AsifTheManRahman
September 20, 2012, 11:31 AM
SS bhai, tension koiren na, he's probably just flicking one that's pitched up down the legside/off his pads, not a very risky shot.

Don't worry, in the real game he'll get bowled trying to cut one that pitches on off and spins back into the stumps.

reyme
September 20, 2012, 12:46 PM
I say bring back Ashraful as captain :D (we got No option except Mushi )

I remeber whem Ash was the captain he opened the bowling in the A team tour in West Indies and ended up bowling more overs than others!

Mushy should be guided by Pybus. Coach should be in charge of the gameplan, not the captain. Captain should just execute, and if he is making mistake, the coach must act right away to send him messages during the game. Otherwise the coach might as well just stay in the hotel and watch the game on TV or watch a movie instead.

MohammedC
September 20, 2012, 12:51 PM
Mushy is doing fine. Beside we have not seen enough of him in test matches and thats where he will learn more.

SS
September 20, 2012, 01:00 PM
SS bhai, tension koiren na, he's probably just flicking one that's pitched up down the legside/off his pads, not a very risky shot.

Don't worry, in the real game he'll get bowled trying to cut one that pitches on off and spins back into the stumps.

hmmm...hoito thik koisen bhai...probably the bowler was Razzak bowling armer on the leg side!!! taie boli practice matcher shot ken kame lagena in real match!!

Gowza
September 20, 2012, 09:05 PM
i think atm mushy is a good choice for captain for BD, the other option would be riyad. shakib is better focusing on his game rather than captaincy, and we need his A game so that's important. tamim just doesn't seem like a captain. mash is always injured and no longer consistently at his best, razzak isn't as consistently at his best either and hasn't got a fixed spot in the team with sunny breaking through over the last 12 months. everyone else is either to inconsistent, not captain material or to inexperienced.

but you do wonder where mushy's game would be right now had he not taken on captaincy, originally i thought it helped his game, got him more focused, more gritty and determined but he's lost form and is struggling now.

zinatf
September 20, 2012, 09:09 PM
I remeber whem Ash was the captain he opened the bowling in the A team tour in West Indies and ended up bowling more overs than others!

Mushy should be guided by Pybus. Coach should be in charge of the gameplan, not the captain. Captain should just execute, and if he is making mistake, the coach must act right away to send him messages during the game. Otherwise the coach might as well just stay in the hotel and watch the game on TV or watch a movie instead.

I remember Law was doing this during Asia Cup. He was regularly sending Anamul or others at the bench as messengers during intervals...

Night_wolf
September 20, 2012, 09:34 PM
mushy is sometimes clueless as a captain, in the afg match where all the spinners bowled well he didn't give a single ball to mullah rather he bowled full quota of mash and shafiul, mash and shafi went for 9 a over each, if mullah was given 2-3 overs of mash and shafi at least 10 runs would have been saved(all the spinners went for 4 or less)..against afg this didn't hurt us but against kiwi or pak 10 runs will be the difference maker

22Yards
September 20, 2012, 09:42 PM
mushy is sometimes clueless as a captain, in the afg match where all the spinners bowled well he didn't give a single ball to mullah rather he bowled full quota of mash and shafiul, mash and shafi went for 9 a over each, if mullah was given 2-3 overs of mash and shafi at least 10 runs would have been saved(all the spinners went for 4 or less)..against afg this didn't hurt us but against kiwi or pak 10 runs will be the difference maker

Or may be he was focusing on the KEY word here which is PRACTICE ?
if he was indeed then fine but yeah if he was total clueless about it thats not acceptable.

MarufH
September 21, 2012, 06:32 AM
My word.. every time BD was doing well, Mushy managed to bring Shafiul on and give the game away.

simon
September 21, 2012, 06:36 AM
My word.. every time BD was doing well, Mushy managed to bring Shafiul on and give the game away.
Bhai noneed to blame Mushy
he made changes but every one suked.
Bowlers let us down today
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)

MarufH
September 21, 2012, 07:18 AM
Bhai noneed to blame Mushy
he made changes but every one suked.
Bowlers let us down today

Bhai.. I watched the game and this is what I saw...

Over 4 - 21/1 Bowled by Razzaq 2 runs given (gets a wicket)
Over 5 - 29/1 Bowled by Mashrafe 8 runs given
Over 6 - 34/1 Bowled by Razzaq 5 runs given
In comes Shafiul
Over 7 - 45/1 Bowled by Shafiul 11 runs given
I think that was the starting point for McCullum going wild. I mean everyone knows how good he is against pace.

Over 15 123/2 Bowled my Mashrafe 10 runs given but gets a wicket
Over 16 128/2 Bowled by Shakib 5 runs given
In comes Shafiul
Over 17 143/2 Bowled by Shafiul 15 runs given.
... Rest is history.

Just my observation.

Naimul_Hd
September 21, 2012, 07:32 AM
What will he do if Sunny gives short pitch ball, Shakib gives juicy full tosses, Shafiul gives half length ball one after another ? All of them were asking for trouble and they all got what they deserved !

Kohli_Sox
September 21, 2012, 08:01 AM
Must say about the bowling rotation; still don't understand some of the bowling rotations made

ahnaf
September 21, 2012, 08:09 AM
I still dont get it why he choose to bowl first..
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Gowza
September 21, 2012, 08:17 AM
Should have batted first.

firstlane
September 21, 2012, 08:18 AM
Yeah Definitely.

Nadim
September 21, 2012, 08:19 AM
Played 15+ WU games for this game. Didn't used Nasir/Zia or even Ash with the bowl coz other bowlers was doing gd. Now bujo moja. ajke ki hoilo? pathetic!

WU games er meaning o buje ei pola ta:smh:

NoName
September 21, 2012, 08:20 AM
Yeah Definitely.

Hi Mushfiq

Habib
September 21, 2012, 08:20 AM
It's easy to say we should've batted first now that we have lost. Mushy did the right thing since it was an overcast condition and we are better at chasing. Alas our bowling had gone to dogs today.

Kohli_Sox
September 21, 2012, 08:24 AM
Really hardly any plan executed; too many cooks always spoil the broth.

WarWolf
September 21, 2012, 08:27 AM
Bowling rotation was not good. He needs to think more. The coach should assist him in live matches whenever he gets a chance to send message.

22Yards
September 21, 2012, 08:28 AM
It's easy to say we should've batted first now that we have lost. Mushy did the right thing since it was an overcast condition and we are better at chasing. Alas our bowling had gone to dogs today.
The wicket may have something for the pacers at the beginning but we have no morkel or steyn to rely on. So i wouldnt put my money on seamers rather play out first few overs carefully and then walk the park at pellekele.

Rabz
September 21, 2012, 08:29 AM
Even Taylor wanted to bowl first in the overcast condition.

Rifat H
September 21, 2012, 08:36 AM
Captain nijei pressure a venge pore, dolke ar ki kore lead korbe !! Ore captaincy theke sorano uchit . Shakib ar Nasir ar moddhe akjonke captaincy dea uchit

SS
September 21, 2012, 08:42 AM
accha bujlam thik decision hoi nai field nia..are bhai bat ta to thik koira korte parti...agei koisilam he is now off form and will continue the entire tour...chul felai dewa uchit

Night_wolf
September 21, 2012, 08:46 AM
mushy is worse then ash..at least ash played eid innings

mufi_02
September 21, 2012, 08:47 AM
I watched the match till 14 overs and I haven't seen once Mushy coming up to the bowlers and saying something. Cmon boy, you gotta lead!! You can't stay behind the stumps and give a disappointed look every time Kalam hits a boundary.

Everyone lacked intensity in the field. Overall body language was very poor. I don't know what they ate before the game. They all looked tired and lazy as if they are missing the dupurer ghum.

simon
September 21, 2012, 09:01 AM
eto chillaya to labh nai, amader team e kono world class T20 player nai, thakle ordinary captaincy o xtra ordinary lagto.
But ya if he can't score runs he should face consequences.

22Yards
September 21, 2012, 09:06 AM
I dont mind his toss decision as much as his inability to think outside the box being reassured in this game. He is too conventional as a captain. He tries to bowl out seamers, he likes to think seamers are front line bowlers and so we have to always fall back to them no matter if we are doing good or bad at a particular stage.

Ofcourse now bangladesh is a spin heavy attack so you have to use your not so good pacers well. That change he made at the seventh over bringing shafiul in is unfathomable. He doesnt use part times wisely, heck he doesnt probably know they exist.

I feel we need variety in our bowling. The SLAs are getting too repetitive. Plus we need rubel badly in our team. Mash bowled pretty well today.

oronnya
September 21, 2012, 09:08 AM
eto chillaya to labh nai, amader team e kono world class T20 player nai, thakle ordinary captaincy o xtra ordinary lagto.

ei kothata ami mani... captain /coach er dosh diye labh achhe jokhon player ra kono plan execute korte na pare... Mushy the captain er cheye Mushy the player er dosh eikhane beshi... Mushy'r off form is hurting us bad.. You will have those days when both Shakib and Tamim will fail and that's the time players like Mushy, Nasir or Riyad should come forward and share the responsibility.. Nasir did it but for a team like BD you need contribution from everyone which is not happening.. No point in blaming the captaincy when batting, bowling, fielding everything went wrong..

WarWolf
September 21, 2012, 10:39 AM
He failed to rotate his bowlers properly. He forgot how to bat as well.

Ajfar
September 21, 2012, 11:43 AM
I didn't see the game, but I followed on cricinfo. Looked like we had things somewhat under control up till 9-10 overs, NZ was still going at 7 runs an over. And than it went downhill. I thought the bowling changes were ok, bowlers need to take their fair share of blame. Shakib and Razzak was saved for the end, which makes sense. Our most experienced bowler. Mash bowles ok at the beginning. He even tried out Riyad for one over didn't work. I don't think bowling change wise there isn't much a captain do when even your best bowler is not delivering. Can't comment on his batting I didn't see it, but after Nasir's performance I don't see why he can't come up the order ahead of Mushy.

Sohel
September 21, 2012, 11:49 AM
Unimaginative captaincy punctuated by random periods of typical brain freeze. The atrocious bowling made something inherently bad look abysmal. I didn't see him do anything to try and inspire the bowlers to do better. The less said about his batting the better. His great performances surprise me, not these typical ones.

BANFAN
September 21, 2012, 12:30 PM

Keno bhai T20 bolen...amader team e Kono format a e world class keu nai... Fluke, occasional performances against big teams and 1/2 little consistent with Zim and G8 B teams make them look World class.. But truly there is no WC player in our team in any format..... Let's face it...bd fans need to realize it and be polite ...

We even started comparing Shakib with Kalis... That's really audacious ... And damaging an upcoming player... We need to play more with G8 teams if we want to improve... BCB should take a big amount of the blame for not being able o guard our interest in the FTP...bunch of idiots.. If it continues like this... We will be trailing Ire and Sco for sure if not Afg soon...

No point blaming the captain... He was mostly ok with the captaincy... Problem is with his batting...it was a very bad shot that he played.. He needed to be calm after those wickets have fallen...

reyme
September 21, 2012, 12:31 PM

I said this before the game, and I will say this after the game.
When the car was off the wheel, why the coach could not come up with backup plans? Or did he have any?

Mushy is no captain material, at least not yet. Cheerleader maybe, but no captain yet.

Shakib is the ideal player and the only player to lead this team.

Night_wolf
September 21, 2012, 09:05 PM
I didn't see the game, but I followed on cricinfo. Looked like we had things somewhat under control up till 9-10 overs, NZ was still going at 7 runs an over. And than it went downhill. I thought the bowling changes were ok, bowlers need to take their fair share of blame. Shakib and Razzak was saved for the end, which makes sense. Our most experienced bowler. Mash bowles ok at the beginning. He even tried out Riyad for one over didn't work. I don't think bowling change wise there isn't much a captain do when even your best bowler is not delivering. Can't comment on his batting I didn't see it, but after Nasir's performance I don't see why he can't come up the order ahead of Mushy.

Bhai.. I watched the game and this is what I saw...

Over 4 - 21/1 Bowled by Razzaq 2 runs given (gets a wicket)
Over 5 - 29/1 Bowled by Mashrafe 8 runs given
Over 6 - 34/1 Bowled by Razzaq 5 runs given
In comes Shafiul
Over 7 - 45/1 Bowled by Shafiul 11 runs given
I think that was the starting point for McCullum going wild. I mean everyone knows how good he is against pace.

Over 15 123/2 Bowled my Mashrafe 10 runs given but gets a wicket
Over 16 128/2 Bowled by Shakib 5 runs given
In comes Shafiul
Over 17 143/2 Bowled by Shafiul 15 runs given.
... Rest is history.

Just my observation.

mushy had some weird bowling changes with shafiul

SS
September 21, 2012, 10:45 PM
If you see the highlight you will know...especially the way he got out...he thought his shot will be like the 6 he got during Asia cup...he has been off form for few matches why he had to do that

mali007
September 21, 2012, 10:46 PM

It was wrong decision to bowl first , even McCullum admitted that. In this field no body won a match after fielding first.

Habib
September 21, 2012, 11:28 PM
He failed to rotate his bowlers properly. He forgot how to bat as well.

That I agree with 100%. He was never that good with rotating bowlers.

Habib
September 21, 2012, 11:37 PM
The wicket may have something for the pacers at the beginning but we have no morkel or steyn to rely on. So i wouldnt put my money on seamers rather play out first few overs carefully and then walk the park at pellekele.

Mushy was afraid of our batsmen pissing their pants in front of their seamers.

22Yards
September 22, 2012, 01:23 PM
Mushy was afraid of our batsmen pissing their pants in front of their seamers.

Thus being in defensive mode even before the game had started :facepalm:

Zeeshan
September 22, 2012, 01:50 PM
............sucks

Habib
September 22, 2012, 02:05 PM
Sorry offtopic. I was wondering why does Ramiz Raza love to talk about Mushy's height so much? He has already used all sorts of adjectives like small, little, tiny :| Hobbit and pipsqueak are next?

Nadim
October 23, 2013, 05:11 AM
Pathetic!!!

Same mistake over nd over.

reyme
October 23, 2013, 05:15 AM
Shakib should be given the captaincy. Forget the cricket sense Mushy lacks common sense. The coach should take most of the blame for letting him making the same mistake over and over. Never seen this such idiocy under any other coach...

Night_wolf
October 23, 2013, 05:17 AM
he is the dumbest captain we have ever had period

he tops even HaBa and Motin

WarWolf
October 23, 2013, 05:40 AM
he is the dumbest captain we have ever had period

he tops even HaBa and Motin
The world cricket is watching the funniest incident of repeating in two consecutive tests. Now Sodhi is going to make a hundred. Bravo!

Sohel
October 23, 2013, 05:46 AM
Motin wasn't such a bad captain. Having said that, out HaBafying HaBa is no small feat either. All hail MushFixur Rahim, geniOUs.

reyme
October 23, 2013, 06:23 AM
Bowling rotation was not good. He needs to think more. The coach should assist him in live matches whenever he gets a chance to send message.

The coach has become a obedient student under Mushy else he might lose his job. Mushy probably tells him what to do and picks the players at will. It does not appear this coach has any power or authority whatsoever. Hence you don't see him interacting with players or captain ever when the match is in progress...

That's why Dav Whatmore type coach is ideal for us who runs the team with authority and players actually listen when you have that type of personality and authority.

It has been far too long yet Mushy could not improve his captaincy skill under Shane....he needs help and guidance from a smart and experienced head coach/players like Steve Waugh, Imran Khan or Ganguly...

Tigers_eye
October 23, 2013, 06:35 AM
Spinning and bouncy track. We are better than NZ in spinning and bouncy track... blah blah blah. All strategic analysis falls flat if the captain is not aggressive when you need a wicket. Highschool cricket.

Naimul_Hd
October 23, 2013, 07:06 AM
Bad bowling and drop catches that's what made Mushy's captaincy look bad. But Mushy has to take the blame as well. What a waste of a chance. All the players just went through the motion. I really can't understand why the hell Mushy took off Nasir just right after he got a wicket ?

Roey Haque
October 23, 2013, 01:23 PM
Bring back Shakib as the captain.

#captainshakib

MHRAM
October 23, 2013, 01:42 PM
we need an imran khan

and I am not talking about the actor that uses fair and.lovely
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

NoName
October 23, 2013, 02:17 PM
Bad bowling and drop catches that's what made Mushy's captaincy look bad. But Mushy has to take the blame as well. What a waste of a chance. All the players just went through the motion. I really can't understand why the hell Mushy took off Nasir just right after he got a wicket ?

Mushy don't like part-timers!

mufi_02
October 23, 2013, 04:07 PM

নাসিরের এর পর আর বল না করার কারণটা বেশ মজার, ‘মুশফিক ভাই আমাকে বোলিংয়ে আনেনই ব্রেক থ্রুর জন্য। উইকেট পেলে আমি নিজেই বলি যে আমি আর বোলিং করব না।’

Asholei mojar excuse :applause:

http://www.prothom-alo.com/sports/article/57590/%E0%A6%9A%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%B0_%E0%A6%B6%E0%A6%B0_%E0 %A6%9C%E0%A6%A8%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AF_%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6% BF%E0%A6%B2%E0%A6%AE%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%BF%E0 %A6%A4_%E0%A6%86%E0%A6%AB%E0%A6%B8%E0%A7%8B%E0%A6% B8

Nadim
October 23, 2013, 04:41 PM
নাসিরের এর পর আর বল না করার কারণটা বেশ মজার, ‘মুশফিক ভাই আমাকে বোলিংয়ে আনেনই ব্রেক থ্রুর জন্য। উইকেট পেলে আমি নিজেই বলি যে আমি আর বোলিং করব না।’

http://www.prothom-alo.com/sports/article/57590/%E0%A6%9A%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%B0_%E0%A6%B6%E0%A6%B0_%E0 %A6%9C%E0%A6%A8%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AF_%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6% BF%E0%A6%B2%E0%A6%AE%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%BF%E0 %A6%A4_%E0%A6%86%E0%A6%AB%E0%A6%B8%E0%A7%8B%E0%A6% B8

bah bah Nasir deserve to be the captain if clemon indoor cricket for this comment

Ki bolen ATMR bhai?

SS
October 23, 2013, 05:30 PM

Bacahanor chesta ar tel dewar jaiga Pailana ...captain has to take responsibility for his non innovative approach... Nasir bole keep batting till 5 th day morning... 130 overs... Comn 50 overs porjonto tiko kina doubt

Antora
October 23, 2013, 05:50 PM
Very disappointed with Mushy's captaincy. Making the same mistakes over and over and over. He's doing a bad job at being captain, okay, but at least hold on to the catches *facepalm*

Night_wolf
October 23, 2013, 08:18 PM

Nachir er poton suru

Tiger444
October 23, 2013, 09:03 PM
What can we expect when he asked Gazi against Zimbabwe that, "tighten up your lines and they'll give their wickets away." That line and his decisions from bowling and field changes show that his thought process is more for ODIs rather than Tests. For a team like us, since we're a limited side, especially in bowling, we need a quick thinking captain. Instead he just seems to go through the motions and plays it way too defensive.

I'll credit him for team unity and man management but Shakibs fire and intensity is what we need IMO. He was a more aggressive captain in his field settings. I'm sure he's matured now and learned from his previous mistakes so it's something to definitely think about to give the captaincy back. Either that or we have to hope Mushy improves on his captaincy decisions which I doubt since it seems he still hasn't learned.

Jadukor
October 23, 2013, 09:42 PM

No other captaincy options. That is the sad truth. Mushy did try to resign after Zimbabwe so to be fair to him perhaps he hates the job as much as we hate to see him do it. We are stuck with Mushy for the foreseeable future until a consistent player like Nasir matures and becomes ready

Roey Haque
October 23, 2013, 09:45 PM
No other captaincy options. That is the sad truth. Mushy did try to resign after Zimbabwe so to be fair to him perhaps he hates the job as much as we hate to see him do it. We are stuck with Mushy for the foreseeable future until a consistent player like Nasir matures and becomes ready

Shakib?

Was a better captain that Mushfiqur, ain't?

Jadukor
October 23, 2013, 09:50 PM
What can we expect when he asked Gazi against Zimbabwe that, "tighten up your lines and they'll give their wickets away." That line and his decisions from bowling and field changes show that his thought process is more for ODIs rather than Tests. For a team like us, since we're a limited side, especially in bowling, we need a quick thinking captain. Instead he just seems to go through the motions and plays it way too defensive.

I'll credit him for team unity and man management but Shakibs fire and intensity is what we need IMO. He was a more aggressive captain in his field settings. I'm sure he's matured now and learned from his previous mistakes so it's something to definitely think about to give the captaincy back. Either that or we have to hope Mushy improves on his captaincy decisions which I doubt since it seems he still hasn't learned.

Giving it back to Shakib is not an option for me. When we sacked Shak and Tamim for Mushy and Ryad we closed that door at least for the near term. We had given Shak all the support and freedom he needed while he was captain during the world cup at home in 2011. That didn't bring any results, we failed to reach second round and so even if we make him captain there is no guarantee he would be motivated enough to lift the side.

The problem we face is that of cultures as well. We have this junior and senior thing where it is difficult for somebody like Nasir to be made captain. When you look at the South African team, they had no issues giving the captaincy to a very young Graeme Smith who has done a tremendous job over the years as captain. Not sure if we can make that kind of decision with Nasir, Gazi, Mominul, Anamul etc...

Sohel
October 23, 2013, 09:50 PM

Great post and I couldn't agree more. Good to see that many of us still care about competing and taking advantage of opportunities rather than blowing them for the sake of some elusive peace in the locker room. It's a sport that represents our nation, and needs to be regarded as such. Sadly though, many if not most cricket organizers share his defensive, thoughtless, rigid, counterproductive and utterly idiotic mindset.

We will continue to lose many, MANY more opportunities because of his brain-dead bowler management, match-losing choices, and field setting. He's an essential batsman for our team and should be relieved of all other responsibilities before hurting us more.

Roey Haque
October 23, 2013, 09:52 PM
Giving it back to Shakib is not an option for me. When we sacked Shak and Tamim for Mushy and Ryad we closed that door at least for the near term. We had given Shak all the support and freedom he needed while he was captain during the world cup at home in 2011. That didn't bring any results, we failed to reach second round and so even if we make him captain there is no guarantee he would be motivated enough to lift the side.

The problem we face is that of cultures as well. We have this junior and senior thing where it is difficult for somebody like Nasir to be made captain. When you look at the South African team, they had no issues giving the captaincy to a very young Graham Smith who has done a tremendous job over the years as captain. Not sure if we make that kind of decision with Nasir, Gazi, Mominul, Anamul etc...

But BCB is foolish,ain't? If they close a door, it is due to a misjudgment which can be rectified. And this team is better than the 2011 one. So why not Shakib?

Jadukor
October 23, 2013, 09:56 PM
But BCB is foolish,ain't? If they close a door, it is due to a misjudgment which can be rectified. And this team is better than the 2011 one. So why not Shakib?

Out of all the cricketers Shakib clearly has the sharpest cricket brain. Now we are left with deciding whether we want a better man manager or a better tactician
Both are very important attributes for a captain and we are yet to find both in a single person.

Tiger444
October 23, 2013, 10:01 PM

The problem we face is that of cultures as well. We have this junior and senior thing where it is difficult for somebody like Nasir to be made captain. When you look at the South African team, they had no issues giving the captaincy to a very young Graeme Smith who has done a tremendous job over the years as captain. Not sure if we can make that kind of decision with Nasir, Gazi, Mominul, Anamul etc...

That team was very young. Average age of only 22 going in to a huge tournament like the WC in our backyard. That wasn't all Shakibs fault. Too much pressure for the boys and they folded. This team now is a lot more matured and we have improved a lot. That team, we relied mostly on Tamim and Shakib. Now we have more performers in the team so there won't be as much pressure as that time.

Again something to think about.

Tiger444
October 23, 2013, 10:07 PM
Great post and I couldn't agree more. Good to see that many of us still care about competing and taking advantage of opportunities rather than blowing them for the sake of some elusive peace in the locker room. It's a sport that represents our nation, and needs to be regarded as such. Sadly though, many if not most cricket organizers share his defensive, thoughtless, rigid, counterproductive and utterly idiotic mindset.

We will continue to lose many, MANY more opportunities because of his brain-dead bowler management, match-losing choices, and field setting. He's an essential batsman for our team and should be relieved of all other responsibilities before hurting us more.

True. That ends up being the heart of the problem. It still seems the people involved in BD cricket fail to understand the basics of Tests and our players fail to understand them as well which is why we're still a struggling Test team.

Jadukor
October 23, 2013, 10:10 PM
If Shakib as captain works out for us then that would be great. It just brings memories of the divide in the team, skipping training sessions under siddons, going on newspaper rant against ex players etc. Even few days ago people were saying Shakib is past his prime/demotivated etc. A 5 wicket haul has changed that perception but it won't be long before that sentiment returns if He gets out to an ugly slog in the 2nd innings.

But i do hope you are right and he is more matured to do the job now

Tiger444
October 23, 2013, 10:15 PM
If Shakib as captain works out for us then that would be great. It just brings memories of the divide in the team, skipping training sessions under siddons, going on newspaper rant against ex players etc. Even few days ago people were saying Shakib is past his prime/demotivated etc. A 5 wicket haul has changed that perception but it won't be long before that sentiment returns if He gets out to an ugly slog in the 2nd innings.

But i do hope you are right and he is more matured to do the job now

It's understandable that there is still that worry. Shakib has since admitted that he was wrong about the rants against the ex players. And those other 2 issues again came down to immaturity which I believe Shakib has learned from.

RazabQ
October 23, 2013, 10:29 PM
We have a coach who's not tactically sharp but a great man manager
We have a captain who is tactically, how shall I put it delicately, "severely lacking" but a great manager
We have an ex-captain who will cuss you out and call you a sissy publicly but tactically aggressive (except for under-bowling Riyadh - which is a problem that Nasir has solved).
I say Shakib for Test and Mushy for ODI and T20 captaincy. They are both peers and lead by example so no issue culturally and that way at least Shakib will not be criminally over-bowled to the point of getting stress fracture.

Agree with some of the great posts already about more mature team, maturity of Shak, etc.

Navo
October 24, 2013, 12:58 AM
I would like to see Shakib lead a domestic side to see how far he has progressed as a man manager and tactician. Granted, it won't be the same as managing a national team, but it would be very interesting to see whether he has matured as a leader over the past 3 years.

BanCricFan
October 24, 2013, 03:33 AM
I couldn't see any of yesterday's play. But, NZ got way to many runs after being 103 for 3 and with R. Taylor gone, too. As a captain Mushy needs to grow some cojones and attack at the right time. Cant go on forever being so defensive. Nasir was a regular bowler at the U19 level. He is simply wasted as a "break-through" part time bowler. Certainly, much more potent than Lalla in Test. Mushy must see the light soon...

Jadukor
October 24, 2013, 03:34 AM
I would like to see Shakib lead a domestic side to see how far he has progressed as a man manager and tactician. Granted, it won't be the same as managing a national team, but it would be very interesting to see whether he has matured as a leader over the past 3 years.

only scope of that happening is in BPL as we don't get live coverage of domestic tournaments

shuziburo
October 24, 2013, 10:48 AM
Will Shakib be willing to be the VC under Mushfiqur and will Mushfiqur use Shakib as the tactician? Like Imran used Miandad. If you remember, Miandad had to cede captaincy to Imran, but cooperated with him.

Jadukor
October 24, 2013, 11:40 AM
i wonder how much input Ryad had on the game as VC

kalpurush
October 24, 2013, 11:47 AM
i wonder how much input Ryad had on the game as VC
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgxN6Z4Q3w9zk-lkruiVd_L8dn5oADc0c3NPlo8HLHPbhyt_zy8g

M.H.Rubel
October 24, 2013, 12:28 PM
Captaining a side at the age of 23/24 is realy tough job. I dont see any good solution in next 2/3 years.May be we will have to wait for maturation of these players as captain.
Shakib is a good infield captain but a poor outfield captain. Just the opposite goes for Mushy. I am also not happy with Mushy. Lot of people here suggesting Shakib as a captain. To them I want to remind that Shakib is a poor captain outside the field. Basically what we need is a person combination of Shakib and Mushy. Best option here is to make Shakib as VC.But the thing is Shakib will not take the VC job under Mushy. But use of Shakib's tactical brain is very important. In that case we will have to take some strategies to make Shakib more active in the infield strategy. To me making Tamim VC is a good idea. The Shakib will come forward in infield decision making.

cricket_pagol
October 24, 2013, 01:26 PM
I would have guessed that Mushy is someone who learns from his mistakes. Unfortunately, when it comes to captaincy his learning curve is below par.

May be shakib can be promoted as the vice captain. In terms of tactics, there is no one better that shakib.

cricket_pagol
October 24, 2013, 01:29 PM
I couldn't see any of yesterday's play. But, NZ got way to many runs after being 103 for 3 and with R. Taylor gone, too. As a captain Mushy needs to grow some cojones and attack at the right time. Cant go on forever being so defensive. Nasir was a regular bowler at the U19 level. He is simply wasted as a "break-through" part time bowler. Certainly, much more potent than Lalla in Test. Mushy must see the light soon...

I feel mushy big mistake was not that he wasn't attacking, he refused to shuffle his bowlers. He is under utilizing the faster bowlers, especially in conditions helpful to fast bowlers.

shuziburo
October 24, 2013, 03:30 PM
He has put in a lot of hard on batting and keeping. Will he do the same for captaincy? Clearly, he is not a natural tactician. Thus, he needs to learn and use the help of good tacticians in the team.

Night_wolf
November 3, 2013, 01:49 AM
Mominul bowled well last game, wasn't given a single over today

Didn't give Zia a single over

No matter what anybody says this guy is THE WORST captain ever

NoName
November 3, 2013, 01:52 AM
Mushy never ceases to amaze me, his approach to using bowlers are no matter what the phainty they are receiving he will bowl them regardless because they're 'experienced' rather than go with part-timers. Thank god he had the balls to use Nasir today. Sincerely hope he wasn't the one who pushed for Zia to be in the team, when he didn't even use him as a bowler!

AsifTheManRahman
November 3, 2013, 01:53 AM
Lalla gets hit throughout the game, give him another over.

Mash gets hit in the death all his life, bowl him more than Rubel in the death.

Zia, Mominul unused.

I don't see how SJ can keep his calm in the dressing room instead of going absolutely mental on this guy's puny butt.

Sohel
November 3, 2013, 01:54 AM
World class batsman, Clemon class captain.

simon
November 3, 2013, 01:59 AM
how can I say the opposite of what I said two days ago ?
may be a bad day in the doptor.
but no excuse for the poor bowling rotation, instead of Mash shld uv tried Jiah for death overs
razzaq ke ek ghora kore Momin ar Jiah othoba kopa je kaokei koyekta kore over deya uchit chilo.

NoName
November 3, 2013, 02:01 AM
The tactics from Rahim were a bit baffling. He got Ziaur Rahman into the team and he didn't get to bowl a single over. Mominul also wasn't given a bowl -Cricinfo

reyme
November 3, 2013, 02:09 AM
Absolutely not qualified to lead this team at this level ....the coach is equally responsible for his horrendous captaincy, field setup and poor decisions all along...both needs coaching

Sohel
November 3, 2013, 02:15 AM
I doubt SJ gives enough of a rat's @$$ to alter his laissez faire, get-along-and-keep-your-job approach anytime soon. Most BCB big shots are totally sold on Rahim's Captain Fantastic creds. Considering this will be the last job SJ gets as HC, I don't blame him for not rocking the boat. SJ and JS have the same letters of the alphabet for a reason.

reyme
November 3, 2013, 02:25 AM
^^ very nicely put...totally agree

Habib
November 3, 2013, 11:00 AM
Although I used to doubt Shane Jurgensen's coaching ability, now I think Mushy's captaincy on the field is a much bigger problem and holding us back. We might have won the series 3-0, but his idiotic decisions may cost us in crucial times like the Asia cup final and Zim tour. Hope he somehow grows a brain when making decisions on the field since we cannot just afford to fire him as captain because it may make the team unstable.

shakibrulz
November 3, 2013, 12:15 PM
I don't know, I have mixed feeling about his captaincy. On one level, I do like the inspired changes he make and always having the mentality to pick wickets, etc. - but then he ruins it with some utterly dumb decisions like he did today.

Although in the end that was kind of rubbing salt in NZ wounds, felt like saying "Yo guys, you're no fun - here let me help you out a bit" :-p

betaar
November 3, 2013, 12:39 PM
I don't know, I have mixed feeling about his captaincy. On one level, I do like the inspired changes he make and always having the mentality to pick wickets, etc. - but then he ruins it with some utterly dumb decisions like he did today.

Although in the end that was kind of rubbing salt in NZ wounds, felt like saying "Yo guys, you're no fun - here let me help you out a bit" :-p

I don't think you can have it both ways. If you are trying to be proactive than you should also be willing to accept your decisions backfiring at times. You cannot always expect risky decisions paying dividends at all times. Then again today most of his bowling changes did not quite work, especially toward the end but then again it's a batting wicket which is why we chased it down and won.
His decision of not bowling Zia may have been one of those tricky ones just it was not to bowl Mominul and finishing off Riyadh instead bring in Razaak and Mash toward the end. But then again he might have tried to instill some confidence in Mash in a match that did not have any bearing on the outcome of the series.

MHRAM
November 3, 2013, 01:08 PM
I did not see any reason to bowl mash at the death instead of Zia

The only reason why he did not bowl momin too much is because they had an army of lefties so understandable but seriously, why repeat the same mistake of bowling Mash?

MHRAM
November 3, 2013, 01:15 PM
I don't think you can have it both ways. If you are trying to be proactive than you should also be willing to accept your decisions backfiring at times. You cannot always expect risky decisions paying dividends at all times. Then again today most of his bowling changes did not quite work, especially toward the end but then again it's a batting wicket which is why we chased it down and won.
His decision of not bowling Zia may have been one of those tricky ones just it was not to bowl Mominul and finishing off Riyadh instead bring in Razaak and Mash toward the end. But then again he might have tried to instill some confidence in Mash in a match that did not have any bearing on the outcome of the series.

Very well said

People are being a bit too harsh. If this was a do or die then I am sure the tactics would been different

rinathq
November 3, 2013, 01:23 PM
I did not see any reason to bowl mash at the death instead of Zia

The only reason why he did not bowl momin too much is because they had an army of lefties so understandable but seriously, why repeat the same mistake of bowling Mash?

it wasnt fair to drop Mash after 1 bad over. It should have been a 4 over spell at least and than bring him in after like 20 overs for another 3-4 overs spell... but who am i kidding

NoName
November 3, 2013, 02:58 PM
The only reason I can think of for him to now bowl Zia was that he wanted him at 100% when opening, you don't really see a lot of pace all-rounders also opening the innings.

kalpurush
November 3, 2013, 04:09 PM
Mushy's captaincy was worse today than ever! How on earth he gave Mash to bowl in the death overs? He just ruined Mash's come-back performance in the last two matched by letting him bowl in the death overs yesterday.

How come he didn't use Naeem, or Mominul or Zia?

Mushy has serious biasness for Razzak - he kept using him even when he was failing to deliver!

Mushy really needs to step up as a captain if he wants the TIGERS to be a competitive team IMHO.

nynemesis
November 3, 2013, 04:33 PM
mashraffie shouldnt bowl at death that a big mistake

KaaL-PurusH
November 3, 2013, 06:17 PM
Mushy's captaincy was worse today than ever! How on earth he gave Mash to bowl in the death overs? He just ruined Mash's come-back performance in the last two matched by letting him bowl in the death overs yesterday.

How come he didn't use Naeem, or Mominul or Zia?

Mushy has serious biasness for Razzak - he kept using him even when he was failing to deliver!

Mushy really needs to step up as a captain if he wants the TIGERS to be a competitive team IMHO.

You always have to have faith on your old guns. His only problem is he doesn't think outside of the box

betaar
November 3, 2013, 08:17 PM

A lot of discussions can be had once the game is over. In Mushy's defense one can argue that he didn't want to take his chances with Riyadh and give away runs and give people the chance to blame him for using a part timers. It's an error a lot of captains make by going with the main bowlers (a safety first approach) during PP or death overs to avoid risks or criticism. What they forget is in any given match your main/strike bowlers are the ones that perform/take wickets, not the ones that are labeled as such. A smart captain should figure this out and plan accordingly.

Ian Pont
November 4, 2013, 02:49 AM
There are PLANS guys.... SJ and Mushy will sign off on them. Senior players like Mash (ex captain) will have a big say too, on the field. As will Tamim and Sakib. Ryad is a key interacting player, too.

Mushy is a very smart skipper that will take stock of a huge amount of input.

Shane is the biggest input for Mushy and they will agree plans between them. The Banglawash success says it all.. end of

MHRAM
November 4, 2013, 03:45 AM
There are PLANS guys.... SJ and Mushy will sign off on them. Senior players like Mash (ex captain) will have a big say too, on the field. As will Tamim and Sakib. Ryad is a key interacting player, too.

Mushy is a very smart skipper that will take stock of a huge amount of input.

Shane is the biggest input for Mushy and they will agree plans between them. The Banglawash success says it all.. end of

agree quite a bit

Ace of BD
November 4, 2013, 03:47 AM
at the end of the day, records suggest he is one of our most successful captains ever

Rabz
November 4, 2013, 04:12 AM
Mushy is turning out to be the best and most successful captain of Bangladesh's short international history.

Random on-field decisions at times can be erratic and frustrating from a fan's perspective, but what matters is the result in an overall bigger perspective.

The boys are playing as an unit, the team is winning more, the progress have been upward and the overall image of Bangladesh team have been very positive since he took over as captain. More importantly, the wall between the "star player" and regular members of the team is demolished with he himself being one of the best performer over the past 2 years, reliance on big names is reduced to almost zero and new match winners are emerging every game. Before, even the most assured regulars would have dreamed of playing a match winning role, these days, the stand-in comes in and becomes the star of the day.

This must be something to do within the culture of the team and I must credit Mushfiq and Shane for this complete changeover of the team's psychological barrier.

Besides, except Shakib who is unarguably the best cricketer the country has produced so far, Mushy is also very well respected amongst the cricketing fraternities around the world and that personal image eventually would reflect on his team as well.

Carry on Captain.

MHRAM
November 4, 2013, 05:02 AM
at the end of the day, records suggest he is one of our most successful captains ever

one of?

He is our most successful captain by a country mile. We never had this much success under anyone. Mushfiq is a wise player and under him Bangladesh looks like a team.

Not too long ago, I would watch a match just to see how Tamim would blast the bowlers or Shakib playing a face saving innings. These days I don't give a damn about those sort of performance when it goes in vain.

Our players seems to be installed with the belief that they could do anything. In the 2010 asia cup when we were to chase 330+ we relied only on Tamim to get us close. When he got out we gave up. Yesterday we chased 300+ without Tamim or shakib.

And about Zia opening. It was not a" jodi laiga jai" type innings. It was a deliberate ploy to give us a quick start and ensure that the better batsman are not exposed to the new Balls.

Equinox
November 4, 2013, 05:43 AM
He is THE most successful captain we have ever had by far. The unity he brings and his emphasis on team-work and training have so far compensated for some not very smart tactics on the field on occasions. But that being said when we are playing against the best there will be very little room for error and Mushfiq will have to show that he has learned from previous mistakes. However, I have no doubt that he is still the best man for the job bar none.

MohammedShamim
November 4, 2013, 05:45 AM
I enjoyed his captaincy in the second ODI! Other than that its been ok.

tanvir_nus
November 4, 2013, 05:56 AM
Lol @ Ian and Night_Wolf's signature!!! hahaha... what am I missing here?

Night_wolf
November 4, 2013, 06:44 AM
Lol @ Ian and Night_Wolf's signature!!! hahaha... what am I missing here?

not missing anything..a lame try by a world renowned coach to get back at a fan..how lame can you get?..whats the difference then between me a common armchair fan and him a world famous respectable coach worldwide?

Isnaad
November 4, 2013, 06:51 AM
Mushfiq should rely a bit more on Mominul and Nasir. They are much better bowlers than he thinks they are. But overall, Mushy has been successful and we cannot deny that.

Zunaid
November 4, 2013, 07:14 AM
not missing anything..a lame try by a world renowned coach to get back at a fan..how lame can you get?..whats the difference then between me a common armchair fan and him a world famous respectable coach worldwide?

Why is it lame? He's human too.

Who says you can make a dig at someone and he can't defend?

Better to say appreciate and say touché than to appear to be the boorish one in the exchange?

Night_wolf
November 4, 2013, 08:18 AM
Why is it lame? He's human too.

Who says you can make a dig at someone and he can't defend?

Better to say appreciate and say touché than to appear to be the boorish one in the exchange?

yeah you are right, but his attempt was boring, he tried to get at me with a rant i gave after mushy gave mash the ball at the slog overs, meaningless ranting is common with fans when match is going on isn't it? though that time it wasn't meaningless, cant say touche!, looks like a desperate attempt to get back, but i had a laugh at his desperate attempt though!, if you say human then its ok but there is some difference with me and him thats why i asked the last question..just my 2 cents

Ian you got me!

shuziburo
November 4, 2013, 11:08 AM
Mushfiqur's captaincy has been much better in the 1st and 2nd ODI. However, he does have the unfortunate tendency of using the wrong bowlers in death. Mash has not been a good death-over bowler since the early days of his career. His overs should be used early, when he is really effective. Using Shahadat twice in death overs have cost Bangladesh each time. Meaning no disrespect to Ian Pont, not every on field decision is made beforehand. Use of Mash that time had Mushy's signature all over it.

Ian Pont
November 4, 2013, 11:24 AM
Mushfiqur's captaincy has been much better in the 1st and 2nd ODI. However, he does have the unfortunate tendency of using the wrong bowlers in death. Mash has not been a good death-over bowler since the early days of his career. His overs should be used early, when he is really effective. Using Shahadat twice in death overs have cost Bangladesh each time. Meaning no disrespect to Ian Pont, not every on field decision is made beforehand. Use of Mash that time had Mushy's signature all over it.

Read what I said, bhai. PLANNING is done off the field (such as who bowls when and how) but this alters dependent upon the match and this will be an interaction of many players not just Mushy.

Mash has to WANT to bowl at the end otherwise he wouldn't Mash is a former Captain and is the death bowler for DG in BPL. I was saying that it is a "collective heads" rather than just Mushy on his own making random decisions.

It takes a brave man to bowl the last overs. That's probably why Mushy turns to Mash, who would run through a brick wall for the team.

AsifTheManRahman
November 4, 2013, 11:29 AM
There's only one way to settle this. Ian, Night_Wolf, get your gamchas out, it's time to straighten things out the right way, with an intense match of Jabbar-er Boli Khela (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FPehlwan i&ei=Mct3UqGgA4HViwLi4ICgDw&usg=AFQjCNFLGqti4HtTHgeiqpCJR5lo2NjRjw&sig2=TjcqXi59U8MRrsqm7ghWZg&bvm=bv.55819444,d.cGE).

Fazal
November 4, 2013, 11:31 AM
Baack-co-ler maitta koliga Dangor hoe.

Yes its great to be brave. but the on-the-field brains not only need to be bravehearts but also need to use their brains. Every bowlers may not be suited for every condition/game situation, when one great bowler continue to fail repeatedly in certain situations, may be it is wise to look for alternatives. Also not using all the resources when leading bowlers are bleeding runs may not also be a good on-field decision, regardless who makes the decision, whether one person of a group decision.

Night_wolf
November 4, 2013, 11:33 AM
There's only one way to settle this. Ian, Night_Wolf, get your gamchas out, it's time to straighten things out the right way, with an intense match of Jabbar-er Boli Khela (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FPehlwan i&ei=Mct3UqGgA4HViwLi4ICgDw&usg=AFQjCNFLGqti4HtTHgeiqpCJR5lo2NjRjw&sig2=TjcqXi59U8MRrsqm7ghWZg&bvm=bv.55819444,d.cGE).

no thank you!, i'd rather enjoy this!..its getting funnier and lame-ier! every moment :lol:

Night_wolf
November 4, 2013, 11:42 AM
With respect to BC i am changing my Sig!, i had my fun :lol: now its time to move on :D

never thought ian would response like a 15 year old though :floor: (thats not even my line!, 30% members here in bc rants about that :facepalm: )

Ian please google translate this

[বাংলা]রেগে গেলেন তো হেরে গেলেন[/বাংলা]

Ian Pont
November 4, 2013, 12:09 PM
Baack-co-ler maitta koliga Dangor hoe.

Yes its great to be brave. but the on-the-field brains not only need to be bravehearts but also need to use their brains. Every bowlers may not be suited for every condition/game situation, when one great bowler continue to fail repeatedly in certain situations, may be it is wise to look for alternatives. Also not using all the resources when leading bowlers are bleeding runs may not also be a good on-field decision, regardless who makes the decision, whether one person of a group decision.

This assumes you have a better option bowler to turn to at that time :up:

Fazal
November 4, 2013, 12:22 PM
This assumes you have a better option bowler to turn to at that time :up:

Yes. Completely agree.

An insider's persepctive and an outsider's perspective(fans) of "better option" may derive different answer. We (the fans) cannot pretend that we know more inside information than an insider; so our comments are solely based on what we have seen in the past in different games.

When we see Zia is being selected and mominul have been used successfully in past games, and not used in 3rd ODI where all the leading bowlers bleeded runs, the question about the proper utilization of the avaialble resources will alsways be raised. Whether its fair to Mushfiq or not. thats is a very valid question to raise by the fans.

kalpurush
November 4, 2013, 12:55 PM
Yes. Completely agree.

An insider's persepctive and an outsider's perspective(fans) of "better option" may derive different answer. We (the fans) cannot pretend that we know more inside information than an insider; so our comments are solely based on what we have seen in the past in different games.

When we see Zia is being selected and mominul have been used successfully in past games, and not used in 3rd ODI where all the leading bowlers bleeded runs, the question about the proper utilization of the avaialble resources will alsways be raised. Whether its fair to Mushfiq or not. thats is a very valid question to raise by the fans.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTffSJY9x0N_qAMuRSmy6AweVarmvrt5-Dj9SO6p3MF6xKLk3O0
Wonderfully said Fazal bhai.

Mushy is the best captain Bangladesh has ever produced - in regards to man-management, politeness, trust-worthy and so on...BUT his some of the on-field decisions are pre thought out and not based on the match situation.
He needs to be a bit more creative in his thinking...IMHO.

Ian Pont
November 4, 2013, 01:11 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTffSJY9x0N_qAMuRSmy6AweVarmvrt5-Dj9SO6p3MF6xKLk3O0
Wonderfully said Fazal bhai.

Mushy is the best captain Bangladesh has ever produced - in regards to man-management, politeness, trust-worthy and so on...BUT his some of the on-field decisions are pre thought out and not based on the match situation.
He needs to be a bit more creative in his thinking...IMHO.

Sometimes being captain can be like re-arranging deckchairs on the Titanic - there is only so much you can do and often it makes only a slight difference./

I don't feel Mushy has made any complete howlers but clearly he can always improve.

Sometimes though, selection leaves a HUGE amount to be desired. So questioning the selectors might be more prudent than anything else.

kalpurush
November 4, 2013, 01:16 PM
Sometimes being captain can be like re-arranging deckchairs on the Titanic - there is only so much you can do and often it makes only a slight difference./

I don't feel Mushy has made any complete howlers but clearly he can always improve.

Sometimes though, selection leaves a HUGE amount to be desired. So questioning the selectors might be more prudent than anything else.
Ian, completely agree with you here.

In fact, in most of the cases, our selectors leave not much options for the captain to work with.

Ashfaq
November 4, 2013, 02:47 PM
I'm just a bit out of loop here, but from what I have seen in the ODI's and tests, Mushfiq wasn't that bad. I have never captained a cricket team, but managing an office has taught me that the best way to lead is to allow everybody to do their thing as unobtrusively as possible. Mushfiq, so far, hasn't asked any square pegs to sit in any circular holes.

Being creative is highly overrated. Clarke's so called creativity didn't stop Aussies from getting thrashed in England, and the unimaginative captaincy of Cook didn't stand in England's way of thrashing the Aussies. Also, since we don't have any full-tilt Divas (like Watson or KP) in our team, we can probably succeed without having Mike Brearly for a captain.

shuziburo
November 4, 2013, 03:44 PM

Ian, I am not asking Mushy to be Mike Brearley or Richie Benaud. However, given how Mash or Shahadat has bowled in death overs in recent years, I would call using them howlers. (Shahadat was the main reason we lost to PAK in the Asia Cup Final, but Mushy used him in death overs again in SL.

Having said that, I agree that team selection frequently hamstrings a captain.

shuziburo
November 4, 2013, 03:48 PM
I'm just a bit out of loop here, but from what I have seen in the ODI's and tests, Mushfiq wasn't that bad. I have never captained a cricket team, but managing an office has taught me that the best way to lead is to allow everybody to do their thing as unobtrusively as possible. Mushfiq, so far, hasn't asked any square pegs to sit in any circular holes.

Being creative is highly overrated. Clarke's so called creativity didn't stop Aussies from getting thrashed in England, and the unimaginative captaincy of Cook didn't stand in England's way of thrashing the Aussies. Also, since we don't have any full-tilt Divas (like Watson or KP) in our team, we can probably succeed without having Mike Brearly for a captain.

Good captaincy has won many matches, so I would not be too quick to diss it. (I don't have time, but please read about the 3rd test that Don Bradman captained to see smart captaincy in action.) However, if your team stinks, there is only so much you can do.

Ashfaq
November 4, 2013, 04:03 PM
Good captaincy has won many matches, so I would not be too quick to diss it. (I don't have time, but please read about the 3rd test that Don Bradman captained to see smart captaincy in action.) However, if your team stinks, there is only so much you can do.

I won't even think about disrespecting good-smart captaincy. However, trying too many things can easily backfire. Mushfiq has a lot of room for improvement, but his captaincy doesn't need to be ridiculed yet.

Regarding bowling Mashrafe and Shahadat at the death, if you remember both time our spinners were getting hammered big time. Like in the last ODI, Gazi and Razzak were leaking runs like faucets, so the captain understandably called upon his (only) two pacers. Mashrafe happened to be one of them. If you recall, Rubel bowled pretty decently at the death. The alternative is to ask a part timer (like mominul) to do what a regular spinner failed to do. So I don't think Mushfiq had much of a choice.

rinathq
November 4, 2013, 04:35 PM
Mushy's captaincy in ODI has been better than Test.... and i am not just talkingbased on result only. In ODI he is more dynamic with his bowling changes and his fielding setup is fairly good. He should sit down and watch some test highlights of teams like Pakistan, Sri Lanka and how the captains handle a spin based bowling attack and how the fielding setup is for various scenarios.

RazabQ
November 4, 2013, 05:14 PM
Great point Rinat. I also think Mushy is a more proactive captain in limited overs forms. Our guys don't play that much long-form cricket so it would not be remiss if Shane & co gave him DVDs of the teams you mention with selections showing how in certain context the captain intervened and changed the course of the match.

Rifat
November 4, 2013, 08:18 PM
Mushfiq should rely a bit more on Mominul and Nasir. They are much better bowlers than he thinks they are. But overall, Mushy has been successful and we cannot deny that.

subhanAllah! Mominul has been a revelation with the ball, wasn't expecting it. Nasir, he is ready to take on the world, also he is pretty street smart. Yes, both of them should be used more often.

Rifat
November 4, 2013, 09:09 PM
[বাংলা]একতাই বল কথাটা কতখানিক সত্য আমরা টের পাচ্ছি, মুশফিক প্রমান করে দিল :)[/বাংলা]

cricbook
November 4, 2013, 09:45 PM
No matter what ..... I saw something inside of him.... Didnt saw others.... Its care... Its love ... Its passion he has for the team.... Yes he has negative side also....but i will say, he got lots of positive side to shown.... Atleast dont take fao vhab with the team mates & media.....he trying to prove him self.... Hes trying to bring new faces with self belive....

Night_wolf
November 4, 2013, 09:56 PM
[বাংলা]একতাই বল কথাটা কতখানিক সত্য আমরা টের পাচ্ছি, মুশফিক প্রমান করে দিল :)[/বাংলা]

cant agree more, he is a great team man no doubt about that and so is shane, with these two gentleman in charge the team unity is greater then ever

shuziburo
November 5, 2013, 08:52 AM
I won't even think about disrespecting good-smart captaincy. However, trying too many things can easily backfire. Mushfiq has a lot of room for improvement, but his captaincy doesn't need to be ridiculed yet.

Regarding bowling Mashrafe and Shahadat at the death, if you remember both time our spinners were getting hammered big time. Like in the last ODI, Gazi and Razzak were leaking runs like faucets, so the captain understandably called upon his (only) two pacers. Mashrafe happened to be one of them. If you recall, Rubel bowled pretty decently at the death. The alternative is to ask a part timer (like mominul) to do what a regular spinner failed to do. So I don't think Mushfiq had much of a choice.

Against SL, others were getting hammered, too. However, Mushfiq could have used other bowlers earlier to at least make sure that Shahadat was not needed in death overs. Against PAK, other bowlers yielded 15 in overs 46-49, Shahadat yielded 19 in the 50th over. We lost by 2.

Ian Pont
November 5, 2013, 09:25 AM
It's easy with hindsight to look back and say "such and such" a bowler went for X runs so shouldn't have bowled over number Y. But you don't know this BEFORE the over, and no one is trying to bowl poorly.

If the bowler had taken 2 wickets and won the match then he is a hero. Look at Rubel who took a hattrick and 6 wickets and is a hero... after many on this forum said he was no good and should be dropped in previous games/series.

My point being that we simply do not KNOW how someone is going to perform. All you can do as a captain is have a plan and hope your bowlers deliver that plan for you.

Even Dhoni has been under pressure due to his death overs. So cut Mushy some slack.

meazz1
November 5, 2013, 09:39 AM
It's easy with hindsight to look back and say "such and such" a bowler went for X runs so shouldn't have bowled over number Y. But you don't know this BEFORE the over, and no one is trying to bowl poorly.

If the bowler had taken 2 wickets and won the match then he is a hero. Look at Rubel who took a hattrick and 6 wickets and is a hero... after many on this forum said he was no good and should be dropped in previous games/series.

My point being that we simply do not KNOW how someone is going to perform. All you can do as a captain is have a plan and hope your bowlers deliver that plan for you.

Even Dhoni has been under pressure due to his death overs. So cut Mushy some slack.

^^ right on coach.
Some here thinks Mushy has a crystal ball and he still disagrees with it's prediction.

BanCricFan
November 5, 2013, 09:58 AM
Quite amusing and funny how some people are still on Mushys case!

He is simply the best captain Bangladesh has ever produced so far. Many ODI wins against high ranked teams, Test draws, Asia Cup Final and two Banglawashes all under little Mushy. He is a performing captain, too. Leading from the front. Man management and team cohesion under Mushy is quite unprecedented. He is still a very young captain leading a very young team. Naturally, he will make small mistakes here and there. All part of the learning curve.

I nominate Mushy a lifelong captaincy. :)

MHRAM
November 5, 2013, 10:02 AM

He is simply the best captain Bangladesh has ever produced so far. Many ODI wins against high ranked teams, Test draws, Asia Cup Final and two Banglawashes all under little Mushy. He is a performing captain, too. Leading from the front. Man management and team cohesion under Mushy is quite unprecedented. He is still a very young captain leading a very young team. Naturally, he will make small mistakes here and there. All part of the learning curve.

knowing the hypocrites, people will call for his resignment if we lose the next match.

Zunaid
November 5, 2013, 10:05 AM
^^ right on coach.
Some here thinks Mushy has a crystal ball and he still disagrees with it's prediction.

That's a nice way to put it. Thanks. I'm going to keep it for future reference. :)

Ian Pont
November 5, 2013, 11:27 AM

The first one was under Shakib, who took over from Mash at Game One

shuziburo
November 5, 2013, 03:13 PM

Hindsight is always 20/20, but then, anytime I see Mash bowl in death I am biting my nails. I don't even want to think about Shahadat, given how poor his accuracy has been in recent years. Beyond these two (and perhaps Rubel), I have no issues unless the captain calls someone who has been bowling poorly on that day.

As of now, Mushfiqur is our best captain. I only wish that he consults the best tacticians in the team on the field (like Imran picked Miandad's brain).

Night_wolf
November 6, 2013, 12:31 AM
i wish i had said Aftab is the worst fielder ever :rolleyes:

MHRAM
November 6, 2013, 01:11 AM
i wish i had said Aftab is the worst fielder ever :rolleyes:

You aren't too far from the truth

Night_wolf
November 6, 2013, 01:22 AM
You aren't too far from the truth

exactly!

RazabQ
November 6, 2013, 01:45 AM
Aftab was brilliant at point! What are you guys talking about?

Jadukor
November 6, 2013, 01:49 AM
^^ I came to say the same thing

Zunaid
November 6, 2013, 02:18 AM

That's what distinguishes a "hujuge" fan jumping onto the peer pressure bandwagon as opposed to one who actually understands the game.

Night_wolf
November 6, 2013, 02:30 AM
That's what distinguishes a "hujuge" fan jumping onto the peer pressure bandwagon as opposed to one who actually understands the game.

You 2 weren't in the chat on a match day, guys who were in chat that day if remember about the talk ian made about aftab's fielding would understand my sarcasm

^^ I came to say the same thing

you were on chat that day, i guess you forgot

MHRAM
November 6, 2013, 04:12 AM
Aftab and Ash were good fielders once

The former than became chubby and the other is busy managing his restaurant

simon
November 7, 2013, 03:14 PM
he is leading from the front, played a beautiful innings yesterday,
he is leading by example, I salute him .

shuziburo
November 7, 2013, 03:18 PM
Even Mushfiq's fielding is getting better. Remember the hat-trick?

kalpurush
November 8, 2013, 01:15 PM
^^ right on coach.

Emotional statements!

Nobody saying here that Mushy is NOT a good captain, rather stating some of the limitations he needs to sort out - SOON, if he wants his team to be at the top!

BanCricFan
November 9, 2013, 06:35 AM
Emotional statements!

Thanks. Will try to be robotic in the future.

Zunaid
November 9, 2013, 06:55 AM

Brilliant.

I agree with you, albeit a lot less emotionally. Mushy deserves more respect than he gets. Even as a wicketkeeper, he is not as bad as a lot of us make it out to be.

I ascribe this to our emotional and dramatic nature. We tend to make taal from teel very easily.

MHRAM
November 9, 2013, 07:19 AM
I personally never felt that he is a horrendous captain. Yes I criticized him but you guys make it out as if he is a natural disaster that struck us.

I will not talk about results. Now, just simply consider that we lost all the matches in that period. I would still say that he has not been that poor. Why? Winning or Losing is not a big factor. The most important thing is that in Mushy's era Bangladesh look like a professional cricket team and every match we come out with the intent to win. When NZ posted 307. We were missing 2 key batsman.

Why did we achieve it? Because we have the belief. Mushy has impregnated the team with the spirit to go for it. Even in the T20 match, when we were struggling at 19-3(dont talk about why we were at that place but it was due to poor selection), we still fought till the end. Being 25-3, did anyone of us think that we are going to score a below 100 score again? NO. This team has incredible self belief unlike the ones earlier and thats why I love these boys. And Mushfiq needs to take most of the credit.

tanvir_nus
November 9, 2013, 12:21 PM
I personally never felt that he is a horrendous captain. Yes I criticized him but you guys make it out as if he is a natural disaster that struck us.

I will not talk about results. Now, just simply consider that we lost all the matches in that period. I would still say that he has not been that poor. Why? Winning or Losing is not a big factor. The most important thing is that in Mushy's era Bangladesh look like a professional cricket team and every match we come out with the intent to win. When NZ posted 307. We were missing 2 key batsman.

Why did we achieve it? Because we have the belief. Mushy has impregnated the team with the spirit to go for it. Even in the T20 match, when we were struggling at 19-3(dont talk about why we were at that place but it was due to poor selection), we still fought till the end. Being 25-3, did anyone of us think that we are going to score a below 100 score again? NO. This team has incredible self belief unlike the ones earlier and thats why I love these boys. And Mushfiq needs to take most of the credit.

Couldn't resist it...I tried really hard not to post this trust me... But mushy has impregnated the team is the statement of the year... :D:lol: :floor: :floor:

shuziburo
November 9, 2013, 12:49 PM
Excellent analysis. He lacks in tactical ability, but excels in everything.

RazabQ
November 9, 2013, 03:30 PM
MHRAM - wonderful post [বাংলা]কিন্তু তুমি একটু অভিধান,সব্দ্কোষ ঘাটাঘাটি কর ভাই। মানে [/বাংলা]... impregnating a whole team ...
words you may be thinking of "inculcated", "imparted" or "instilled"

MohammedC
November 9, 2013, 04:06 PM
Khaise Baby Mushy's new nick.

"Baba Mushy"

simon
November 9, 2013, 05:13 PM
give up Moharam, u aren't getting Ryad's shalika by spreading such rumors.

AsifTheManRahman
November 9, 2013, 05:40 PM
Mushy please no hanky panky in the locker room, sport is serious business and shouldn't be mixed with pleasure.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

MHRAM
November 9, 2013, 09:48 PM
MHRAM - wonderful post [বাংলা]কিন্তু তুমি একটু অভিধান,সব্দ্কোষ ঘাটাঘাটি কর ভাই। মানে [/বাংলা]... impregnating a whole team ...
words you may be thinking of "inculcated", "imparted" or "instilled"

I did not mean Impregnated literally.

Impregnated used here can perfectly described by instilled as you have mentioned in your post. I have seen it being used several times and I think its correct.

MHRAM
November 9, 2013, 09:50 PM
give up Moharam, u aren't getting Ryad's shalika by spreading such rumors.

:ohno::ohno::ohno:

The "impregnated" word?

Doesnt matter, BC-e onek meye ase, E-). Not just ordinary ones, but cricket loving ones :D

kalpurush
November 10, 2013, 12:03 AM
Ha! Ha!! Witty BCF!!!

MHRAM
November 10, 2013, 03:04 AM
Couldn't resist it...I tried really hard not to post this trust me... But mushy has impregnated the team is the statement of the year... :D:lol: :floor: :floor:

Its OK :D

BanCricFan
November 12, 2013, 06:00 AM
...We tend to make taal from teel very easily.

That and this sudden zero to hero and back-to-zero-again mentality must be weeded out from our collective Bongo psyche/soul.

In other words, we must impregnate ourselves with some robust kosher emotional sobriety -no doubt, what our Kalpurush bhai longs for. ;)

kalpurush
November 12, 2013, 02:14 PM
In other words, we must impregnate ourselves with some robust kosher emotional sobriety -no doubt, what our Kalpurush bhai longs for. ;)
There you go...you know me now! :)

shuziburo
November 13, 2013, 06:38 AM
That and this sudden zero to hero and back-to-zero-again mentality must be weeded out from our collective Bongo psyche/soul.

Impregnate ourselves? :facepalm:

MHRAM
November 13, 2013, 07:00 AM
I request an immediate deletion of this thread. Apparently I have impregnated the minds of many gentlemen in this forum with wrong thoughts.