PDA

View Full Version : On what basis is Mushfiq captain?

BrianLara7
September 26, 2012, 07:08 PM
This guy's wicket keeping is average at best (being generous) and so is his captaincy.
His batting record is poor specially in limited overs (t20 and odi) with a pathetic strike rate of 66 in odi's ( 25 avg) and 102 in t20's (14 avg) with very poor average. You dont need your absolute best player as captain, but atleast he has to be among the very best performers. Look at all other teams, India (Dhoni, one of the best batsman). Australia (Clarke, best batsman) South africa (de villiers, best batsman in limited overs). So, on what basis is he the captain?

AMD128
September 26, 2012, 07:29 PM
Let me enlighten you. Apart from Mushy I dont see anyone to be given the captaincy. Mash had his, Shak had his turn too. And your talking about Mushy's average? Yeah we all agree that it's really terrible. But here's one for a fact. Despite his poor average or SR in T20 or ODI. He is the 3rd most technically perfect batsman in our team after Shakib & Tamim. Don't believe me? Ask the experts. Last year, I remember during the Test series against Windies. Ian Bishop also praised Mushy's batting & his shots highly.

NoName
September 26, 2012, 07:43 PM
He may be technically sound, but he doesn't have the brains for this game but can't blame him since every other player in the team, bar a few, suffers from that problem. Making Shakib the captain won't do squat, he's a smart captain but if the rest of the team doesn't perform there will be threads calling for his removal once again.

Zunaid
September 26, 2012, 07:47 PM
The real question is - if not Mushy then who?

BrianLara7
September 26, 2012, 07:51 PM

Well if we have to choose captains based on this then that's one sorry situation..

BrianLara7
September 26, 2012, 07:52 PM
Let me enlighten you. Apart from Mushy I dont see anyone to be given the captaincy. Mash had his, Shak had his turn too. And your talking about Mushy's average? Yeah we all agree that it's really terrible. But here's one for a fact. Despite his poor average or SR in T20 or ODI. He is the 3rd most technically perfect batsman in our team after Shakib & Tamim. Don't believe me? Ask the experts. Last year, I remember during the Test series against Windies. Ian Bishop also praised Mushy's batting & his shots highly.

according to some ashraful is the most talented and technically sound BD batsmen.. this doesnt mean jack. All that matters is performance.

BengaliPagol
September 26, 2012, 07:54 PM

Its time for Shafiul Islam

Zunaid
September 26, 2012, 07:55 PM
Well if we have to choose captains based on this then that's one sorry situation..

How else will you chose a captain?

There are basically only three criteria:

1. The person must make it into the team on his own merit on a regular basis.
2. The person must have the respect of his team mates
3. The person must have a sound cricketing sense and be able to think on his feet.

Who?

Dilscoop
September 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
Mohammad Ashraful.

Rifat
September 26, 2012, 08:00 PM

There are basically only three criterion:

3. The person must have a sound cricketing sense and be able to think on his feet.

Who?

Nasir Hossain, but to make him a captain within one year of his debut to me makes little sense since experience plays a big role in captaincy and decision making in cricket.

BrianLara7
September 26, 2012, 08:02 PM

Who?

I am saying if we got no one better than Mushfiq to be our captain then we got no hope. Maybe we should take a gamble like SA (smith) and give a promising youngster (Nasir maybe) the captaincy who isnt yet totally fitted in this loser mentality and hope for the best. Dont see anything getting worse than it already is with Mushfiq. There is no question that nasir has already in his short career been a better performer than mushfiq

Rifat
September 26, 2012, 08:03 PM
to be fair to Mushfiq, we have only be playing T20s since the Asia cup and he did reasonably in Asia cup with the bat and captaincy. I would give him two more series(ODI/Tests) and if he doesn't deliver then we can move onto someone like Nasir Hossain...

Zunaid
September 26, 2012, 08:03 PM
Nasir Hossain, but to make him a captain within one year of his debut to me makes little sense since experience plays a big role in captaincy and decision making in cricket.

Does he meet 1, 2 and 3?

Given the ageist class system in Bangladesh, 2 would be difficult. And there is no evidence for 3. He is barely 21. The Taibu's and Pataudi's are more an exception than not.

Dilscoop
September 26, 2012, 08:09 PM
Are we seriously not considering MoAsh? 2nd time is the charm.

NoName
September 26, 2012, 08:11 PM
I'd pick Ash just to see his post-match conferences.

Rifat
September 26, 2012, 08:13 PM
Does he meet 1, 2 and 3?

Given the ageist class system in Bangladesh, 2 would be difficult. And there is no evidence for 3. He is barely 21. The Taibu's and Pataudi's are more an exception than not.

He did perform before coming to national team in many instances in domestic leagues and away tours where selectors took notice of his talents, his current team mates definitely respect him(I don't recall an incident where he got into a fight/argument with anyone, even based on newspaper photos and press releases he gets along quite fine with others in the team). I am pretty sure you can agree that based on his media statements, he sounds the most mature of the lot. He is not happy with his performance even if he scores a triple century until the team is declared victorious, I mean how many in our team apart from Nasir share this sentiment? He seems very mature(Based on how he plays the game according to match situations and media statements). the only issue is that remains unproven is that is he a good fit for management role(like being responsible over his teammates)?

Otherwise, even if you disagree with my assessment of fulfilling 1,2, and 3 there is absolutely no one on the team who even can be considered for 1,2 and 3 except Shakib, Nasir and to a lesser extent Rahim.

Naimul_Hd
September 26, 2012, 08:16 PM
Mushy hasn't done too bad to warrant his captaincy change. We all know his has taken some wrong decisions and this is part of his learning experience. Lets bear with him for another 1/2 season. Instead of chopping and replacing one after another, why not we correct his wrong decisions and guide him properly.

Even every corporate mid/top level managers go through training program like 'Managerial Decision Making', 'Leadership Program' etc. BCB can invite ex-captains from different countries to have a short training program where they will share their experiences regarding decision making, team bonding, team moral etc with our players. This may help Mushy and other players to gain knowledge that they may not have gathered even after playing hundred matches.

Matha betha holey...matha ketey felar cheye medicine neya bhalo !

Zunaid
September 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
Rifat - just because he is liked by all does not mean all would like to be led by him. Put yourself in the cultural context of Bangladesh. Remember why Basher was in the team for so long, way after his past due date? That's because they (selectors) could not think of anyone else to be captain because the candidates would be younger than most of the team and imagine a chhoto bhai ordering a bhaiya in Bangladesh. Meritrocacy flies out the window in Bangladesh's context. Granted - things are changing a bit but the under the breath whispering will drown all. And until #3 is proven, he should not even be a candidate.

First question: If you want a change, why not ShakFu?

Second question: do we really need a change?

Rifat
September 26, 2012, 08:22 PM
I personally think that Rahim should be given two more series for further evaluation... another point to note that Alhamdulillah, Rahim has had more than his fair share of experience playing international cricket all over the world in pretty much all conditions. He is pretty much out of excuse if he doesn't score at least three fifty plus innings in his next 5 innings or so, particularly when we take into consideration games at home. We lose matches, and when we do you can definitely cite his ineffectiveness with the bat as a valid reason. His batting is pretty much half of his captaincy.

BengaliPagol
September 26, 2012, 08:37 PM

Who?

Dammit Shafiul doesnt fit the void :(

Zunaid
September 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
Dammit Shafiul doesnt fit the void :(

Hahaha. He is bigger problems. The void between his ears. Just like Ash.

Dilscoop
September 26, 2012, 08:42 PM
If Mash was fit and ready, I'd have gone with him. But he is still in a process of returning. Also, he won't be available for all 3 format. We aren't a team that can cope with multi captains.

Dilscoop
September 26, 2012, 08:43 PM
Hmm, talking about multi-captains. Is that a rule that we MUST select one captain? What if we did it like football?

Tiger444
September 26, 2012, 08:57 PM
I've backed Mushy as I back all our players. That being said, I believe the most important aspect in being captain is to have good performance. It's a simple concept really, if you're not performing well than how do we expect the others to follow as the leader of the team? The fact is Mushy's performance has just not been good enough as captain. Just look at the last match for example. While Shakib was on fire, Mushy ended up getting bogged down and then ended up throwing his wicket away without doing much. His 26 ball 25 consisted of 14 dot balls. Thats a dot ball percentage of 54%. I know he was trying to support Shakib but at the very least rotate the strike more.

Also lets see his performance since he's been captain. In T20s, his avg been only a 20 and his avg in ODIs is only a 21. In tests his avg is very good with an avg of 40 but don't forget we've played very few Test matches and his wicket keeping in the match against the WI costed us and made crucial mistakes in the Pakistan match as well.

At the end of the day, I feel it's best for Mushy to give up captaincy and prove himself as a player. I didnt think much of it before but he came in around the same time as Tamim and Shakib and now look at those 2 compared to him. Both Shakib and Tamim have now risen to a world class level where Mushy hasn't gone near that level. I thought he was becoming more consistent but it seems he hasn't. You see that he performs in one match but then fails for a string of matches. For a guy that has so much experience at the international level, he needs to do a lot better. I don't him want him off the team because he's the best overall wicketkeeper batsman in the country, but take his captaincy title off I say.

zahidnyc
September 27, 2012, 12:32 AM
i dont know how he said in the media bangladesh has nothing to lose before the pakistan game , this is just total pathetic statement by musfiqur as a growing cricket nation , we got kicked out at 1st round and still musfiq saying bd did better in t20 world cup like seriously ? and since we dont have any other better options for captain i guess bcb definitely give chance to mahmuduallh for once i am sure he will definitely do better than musfiq

oronnya
September 27, 2012, 12:55 AM
As if changing the captain will do the trick !! We've had one of the best man in BD cricket to lead the team and he did lead the team from front but still couldn't manage to win most of the matches..And we the same people went on blaming him for each and every loss..Same will happen if he gets selected as captain once again as the team will still remain crap..We really should stop blaming the captain after each and every loss when we clearly can see what most of our players are capable of :facepalm:. It's not just a saying that "A captain is as good as his team"..

No point in blaming Mushy the captain, rather blame Mushy the player.. A fair share of blame should go to the management as well.. when captain is making a mistake the coach can easily send out messages to put them in the right direction but we still didn't see Pybus doing that.. And no I am not criticizing Pybus here.. Just saying he could've put that extra effort to guide them through..

i_1_primeval_man
September 27, 2012, 01:11 AM
As if changing the captain will do the trick !! We've had one of the best man in BD cricket to lead the team and he did lead the team from front but still couldn't manage to win most of the matches..And we the same people went on blaming him for each and every loss..Same will happen if he gets selected as captain once again as the team will still remain crap..We really should stop blaming the captain after each and every loss when we clearly can see what most of our players are capable of :facepalm:. It's not just a saying that "A captain is as good as his team"..

No point in blaming Mushy the captain, rather blame Mushy the player.. A fair share of blame should go to the management as well.. when captain is making a mistake the coach can easily send out messages to put them in the right direction but we still didn't see Pybus doing that.. And no I am not criticizing Pybus here.. Just saying he could've put that extra effort to guide them through..

Agree with everything as usual except for the bolded part. One of the best? Who are/were the other ones who could be mentioned in the same breath as the magician from magura?

Maysun
September 27, 2012, 01:24 AM
Like Zunaid bhai said, if not Mushy, then who?

And I find it really disturbing that people here are calling for a change. We have only played T20s after the Asia Cup, the format where we have next to no clue about how to play the game.

And not to mention, Mushfiq has been chosen as a captain after a string of strong performances in International cricket and that confidence has shone through in the DPL. He's just having a mean patch which almost all the players have other than Kohli, Amla & Gayle. I honestly think, he should move down the order where he is suited better.

Agreed, he may not have the best cricketing brains in terms of captaincy but it's just been a year and we've played much less cricket compared to the other countries.

Changing captains every year won't cut it. It will just lead to a bunch of ego clashes in the dressing room.

PoorFan
September 27, 2012, 01:59 AM
Mullah cant even match a VC, forget about him being captain. Only choice BD has is Shakib as captain and Mushi is VC. Rest are pure trash.

simon
September 27, 2012, 11:52 AM
Mushy says : kintu..kintu amito social networking e A plus paisi

aguner_gola
September 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
Anyone else noticed how he starts every post-match interview with Definitely?

Announcer: Tough luck today, Mushfiq! You do know you're a terrible captain, right?
Mushi: Yes Definitely...wait...what?

:lol:

Kohli_Sox
September 27, 2012, 12:54 PM
Sorry to say but Mushfiq can't read the game situation. No more series needed to get more evaluation, it's evident. He can learn obviously but I'm not in favor of costing us series after series just for the sake of giving him a chance to learn. This is International Cricket and not "Para" cricket.

Fazal
September 27, 2012, 01:45 PM
On what basis is Mushfiq captain?

The assumption was Mushfiq would be the neutralizing force help bonding between the "Red Force", "Blue Force" and "White Force".

He kind of accomplish that, but it suffered in the core area... that is pure captaincy.

From pure captaincy POV, Shakib is best we have... but we all know why he will not be nominated again.

Crisis
September 27, 2012, 01:49 PM
Tamim as Captain ? He is hot headed and can be like a Drill Seargant in the team ?

Habib
September 27, 2012, 02:10 PM
Tamim as Captain ? He is hot headed and can be like a Drill Seargant in the team ?

Lol. Tamim won't be a drill sergeant. He probably won't give a *#@* about the team and will be busy arguing with BCB over what class of plane ticket he will get.

NoName
September 27, 2012, 02:20 PM
Yeh...Tamim as captain, just don't see it....I'm getting food related visuals imagining it.

Zeeshan
September 29, 2012, 10:58 PM
Yes, he has his fair share of blame. Shakib was dead on point about not being aggressive on the field with close fielders or failure to rotate bowlers accordingly, for that matter. I don't think "nothing to lose" comment was that egregious as BCites tend to make out of it twisting the meaning, but for his sissy captaincy he cost us the match.

And ffs, since we are mentioning captaincy, On what basis is Riyad a T20 vc?

F6_Turbo
September 29, 2012, 11:08 PM
And ffs, since we are mentioning captaincy, On what basis is Riyad a T20 vc?

We're hoping it's the push he needs to get his average into double digits....and he's nearly there, 9.52 :notworthy::notworthy:

crikss
September 29, 2012, 11:33 PM
I think we should again bring back Shak n Tamim combination ...much better than Mushy n Riyad

BANFAN
September 30, 2012, 03:21 PM
Mullah cant even match a VC, forget about him being captain. Only choice BD has is Shakib as captain and Mushi is VC. Rest are pure trash.

I think, this is the best suggestion... Wonder why he was left out and TI was made the VC?? Ohh those TI centuries in England must have been misleading our not so smart cric admins .....

M.H.Rubel
October 1, 2012, 08:28 AM
As a captain Shakib is the best choice no doubt. But he has some discipline problem,plus he is a junior guy. I want to give shakib more time to mature as captain so i ll put him as VC. I dont see any option left than Mushy as captain.

zinatf
October 1, 2012, 08:44 AM
As a captain Shakib is the best choice no doubt. But he has some discipline problem,plus he is a junior guy. I want to give shakib more time to mature as captain so i ll put him as VC. I dont see any option left than Mushy as captain.

hmmm....:umm:

roman
October 1, 2012, 09:04 AM
Wasn't he the best captain ever few days ago? Hint Hint Asia cup.

We need to Stop this musical chair drama. Yes Mushy is not the smartest one in the business but who is? Shakib? You guys really know how to kill the chicken that is hatching golden eggs for us.

It was a bad series. The whole team failed. Why blame Mushy alone? Pointing fingers at his interview skills? I highly doubt the words coming out of his mouth are his. He is uttering what he was told to utter.

Our team is going through a very difficult phase and we need to stand behind our team. Changing captain or kicking out a player or two will never do us any good. Have to fix the root problem and captaincy is definitely not the root problem. Like Shakib says we all know the cure but just don't act upon it...

playmaker
October 1, 2012, 10:35 AM

We need to Stop this musical chair drama. Yes Mushy is not the smartest one in the business but who is? Shakib? You guys really know how to kill the chicken that is hatching golden eggs for us.

It was a bad series. The whole team failed. Why blame Mushy alone? Pointing fingers at his interview skills? I highly doubt the words coming out of his mouth are his. He is uttering what he was told to utter.

Our team is going through a very difficult phase and we need to stand behind our team. Changing captain or kicking out a player or two will never do us any good. Have to fix the root problem and captaincy is definitely not the root problem. Like Shakib says we all know the cure but just don't act upon it...

The reason why the blame is on Mushy is because he is one who seem to be going through the motions. Everytime someone bowls a short ball and gets punished mushy just stands there in awe, not even bother to have a chat with the bowler. Also, he fails to motivate the players and after being handed the captaincy his chirping has stopped.

roman
October 1, 2012, 10:49 AM
The reason why the blame is on Mushy is because he is one who seem to be going through the motions. Everytime someone bowls a short ball and gets punished mushy just stands there in awe, not even bother to have a chat with the bowler. Also, he fails to motivate the players and after being handed the captaincy his chirping has stopped.

As far as I can remember,

Shafiul bowled a juicy short ball and was punished by Nazir. Mushy walked up to Shafiul and said something. Next ball, short ball again and same result. This time Mushy didn't bother..

Not defending Mushy here, but he can't spoon feed someone. I really think some players don't even listen to him and Lotus also said the same. Yes as a captain you should have the leading from the front capability but as a member of a team one must follow his captain's order. That is what team chemistry is all about.

Now how can players respect Mushy when BCB chief openly crticizes him? BD cricket is dying my friend, just don't blame Mushy for all this

meazz1
October 1, 2012, 11:08 AM
Don't blame Mushy because we are not winning.
BCB chose Mushy knowing that he is not capable of doing the job. On the other hand Mushy should have never accepted the position but he probably wanted to cement his position in the team.
We had Shakib, Ashraful and VC Tamim and none was any good for the BCB chief.
What qualification Muhamudullah poseses to be the current VC is beyond me.
So, blaming a player will not fix anything. This is the culture of our system in the country and there's no end to it.
How many coaches we have had so far and where do we stand in the ranking today? Top management is out to make money for their own pockest and everything else is secondary.

playmaker
October 1, 2012, 11:20 AM
As far as I can remember,

Shafiul bowled a juicy short ball and was punished by Nazir. Mushy walked up to Shafiul and said something. Next ball, short ball again and same result. This time Mushy didn't bother..

Not defending Mushy here, but he can't spoon feed someone. I really think some players don't even listen to him and Lotus also said the same. Yes as a captain you should have the leading from the front capability but as a member of a team one must follow his captain's order. That is what team chemistry is all about.

Now how can players respect Mushy when BCB chief openly crticizes him? BD cricket is dying my friend, just don't blame Mushy for all this

BD cricket dying? to be honest our cricket never took off. We were and we still are minnows in any format of the game. The issue is we need someone like Arjuna Ranatunga or Imran Khan. And we also need some coach who are really tough on the players.

Our players simply dont want to work hard enough. then again, we know that they are BD. Our people are easily satisfied with what they eat. In 1st world countries, companies that has 1 million dollar profit target 2 million dollar for the the next year. In BD, people are like: "onek kisu paisi to ar ki laigto?"

Luckily, cricket is played in every corner of the country. Sports academy focus mainly, or simply "only" on cricket. Otherwise our cricket wouldnt go anywhere. NZ and WI with such population can still produce such quality cricketers and thinking about it, in the present decades this 2 teams have somehow improved as opposed to the last decade
NZ boast players like Kalams, taylor, guptil, vettori, franklin, oram, and exciting youth players like williamson, nicol, southee, bracewell. They indeed have a bright future
WI are also a very young unit with the exception of gayle, rampaul and samuels. Bravos, charles, narine, edwards, cooper, roach, badree, pollard.

BANFAN
October 1, 2012, 11:58 AM

We need to Stop this musical chair drama. Yes Mushy is not the smartest one in the business but who is? ........

Mushy infact walked down after being hit twice and then he was hit for the third time.. Then again, it's not spoon feeding, it's about helping and encouraging him... Not that every time Mushy walks up he delivers a verse of cricket bible to him... The purpose is just to make him feel easy and let him know, he can still do it. And a captain in such situation have got to act also to slow down the game and allow him time to think by walking p to him. If they can strategize something meanwhile, that great.

Ya, we can't keep changing captains..l we have bigger problems to address. Captaincy needs improvement but changing isn't the solution...

playmaker
October 1, 2012, 12:04 PM
^^

Agreed. Its mushfiq's job to do whatever it takes to help the team. regardless of whether his teammates dont suport him or not