PDA

View Full Version : ATN Bangla / nTV / Channel-I / RTV now in North America

Nasif
March 22, 2004, 10:03 PM
Just read on Thikana newspaper that ATN Bangla is going to start their transmission on Dishnetwork all over USA from Apri 1st. First one month is free preview month. Then $19.99/month subscription fee. I don't think ATN shows that much cricket stuff, but at least we will news more quickly :)

NTV is also starting their operation from May (that was the news few months back). But don't know if they will be on dishnetwork or not.

Edited on, October 24, 2004, 7:59 PM GMT, by nasif.

New stuff:
On Dishnetwork Sat 121:
1. nTV on channel 804
2. RTV on channel 805 (coming soon on End of Nov 2006)
3. Channel-I on 806
4. ATN (forgot the channel number)

Edited on, November 5, 2004, 8:03 PM GMT, by nasif.

Sami
March 23, 2004, 08:39 AM
BTV is also going satellite from the first week of April...

oracle
March 23, 2004, 02:34 PM
Is NTV the best channel in terms of cricket coverage?Who is?

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 23, 2004, 04:32 PM
jaihok,
kichu ojana karone amar basha theke ami banglacricket.com access korte parchi na. tai badhho hoye ajke libraryte ashte holo ai cite access korar jonno. aikhane na lekhle mone hoi ami jeno haray jachhi. thank you for the news. amio shunechi. ATN bangla amar bangladesher priyo channel. ATN banglar prottekti programi amar bhalo lage. jodio ak bochor hoyeche ATN bangla dekhar shujog hoi na. tobe ATN bangla akhon americate bosheo dekha jabe jante pere bhalo lagche. dam khub beshi na hole amio ATN bangla ar jonno pay korbo. because it is worth it ami mone kori. dannabad.

jubaitca
March 24, 2004, 12:11 AM
Do you know anymore details on these channels?

Nasif
March 24, 2004, 12:28 AM
Jubaitca:
ATN news is on back page this week Thikana newspaper. If you are dishnetwork customer you will see this channel on your channel guide from April 1. It will be free for 1 month.

NTV news was on another paper few months back. BTV World info is from a newspaper from BD. I am not sure whether NTV and BTV will be on dishnetwork or not.

Sami
March 24, 2004, 03:29 PM
I am not sure abt the BTV being on US Dishnetwork or not... but BTV going satellite was on Daily Star a few days ago... here's the link for more details :)

Source (http://www.thedailystar.net/2004/03/21/d40321250197.htm)

Nasif
March 25, 2004, 03:15 AM
ATN has setup a new website for their US division:
http://www.atnus.tv/

They are having opening ceremony at 4pm this Sunday(28th) at Amajura auditorium at 91-12 144PL, Jamaica, New York. Saw it in newspaper ad. Its very near from my house. Not sure though if I would go.

Ad says, there will bd actors and singers on the ceremony.

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 25, 2004, 01:38 PM
achha BTV ar na 2003 july mash ai dish a ashar kotha chilo????????? ki je kore? anyway amar mone hoi ar keo BTV dekhe desh a. akhon ato private channel ase. BTV dekhar amar mone hoi na karo ar time ase. the only good thing to watch in BTV now is Ittadi. tachara BTV te ar temon kono ahamori onshthan ase bole amar mone hoi na. tachara manush to desh a akhon sharakkhoni indian serial dekhe.

rafiq
March 30, 2004, 11:20 PM
what is the status of ATN Bangla on Dish? I just called the Dish people and as usual they knew nothing as the script they were reading didn't have any reference to ATN Bangla. Are the channel numbers across different states the same - if so can anyone post the ATN Bangla channel number here when they find it? thanks

Nasif
March 30, 2004, 11:40 PM
I didn't go the ceremony and don't know whats their situation. I guess we just have to waint until april 1. There is nothing on their website either.

There are 2 new paki channel (GeoTV and AryDigital) on dishnet. They started it on March. I am hopeful about atn.

Nasif
April 1, 2004, 09:22 AM
Well, newspaper said they had a good opening ceremony. But there is no news on who will be the service provider. Dishnetwork still doesn't have ATN Bangla on their channel line up.

I did some digging. It turns out that ATN Bangla is using TelStar 5 satellite on Ku Band. It is currently on FTA (free to air), meaning no subscription needed. I don't know how long they will be on FTA, but the initial report that they will be on dishnetwork is now doubtful.

TelStar 5 (also known as IntelSat Americas 5) signal is avialable all over USA/Canada with a 20"-30" dish. You will need FTA receiver and the dish to get your tv.

Here is the TelStar5 channel lineup info:
http://www.lyngsat.com/ia5.shtml

Scroll down and you will see ATN Bangla.
The beige colored channels are FTA (digital). Interestingly, TEN Sports is broadcasting the IND/PAK tests on this satellite and its FTA! I am not sure if TENSports had always been FTA on TelStar 5. But its pretty intersting that dishnet is selling the package for $$$ while it is in the sky for FREE!!!.

List of all channels from BD (includes US and non-US viewable channel):
http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Bangladesh.shtml

[Edited on 1-4-2004 by nasif]

As of now, ATN Bangla is no longer FTA (meaning its no longer free)

Edited on, September 22, 2004, 6:29 AM GMT, by nasif.

Orpheus
April 1, 2004, 09:35 AM
TelStar 5 (also known as IntelSat Americas 5) signal is avialable all over USA/Canada with a 20"-30" dish. You will need FTA receiver and the dish to get your tv

k where do I get it.. how do I get.. what do i do... I think yyou may have found a gem. Doesn't ten sports show Bd matches?
How about skysports..any idea what dish they use? Hell make a dish nasif... do It.. YOU CAN DO IT.. YOu genius!

Nasif
April 1, 2004, 09:44 AM
You can get FTA receiver on ebay for around $50-$100, make sure it works on Ku Band. The Ku dish is avialble at any of your local sat store. You can buy it on ebay also. Mounting it on your roof or wall is hard, unless you are good with tools (and have the tools to mount it). Even if you had the tools you won't be able to get signal unless you had familiarity with locking on sat signal. So you gotta get a pro to install it. Installation costs around $100 buck.

Ku dish isn't like the one that you usually see (huge dish on the roof, which is known as C-band). Here is a pic of Ku dish:
http://www.roxsat.com/img/dish/AZ90.gif

To learn about FTA tv, just type "ku fta dish" on google. You will see lots of online store that sells FTA equipment.

Before you go and start buying the equipment, you might want to wait a month of so, to make sure ATN stays FTA. Its likely that they might switch to paytv after a month.

Orpheus
April 1, 2004, 09:53 AM
thanks....I will wait for you to do it first... let us know when you do it. :)

[Edited on 1-4-2004 by Orpheus]

Nasif
April 1, 2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Orpheus
thanks....I will wait for you to do it first... let us know when you do it. :)

[Edited on 1-4-2004 by Orpheus]

The previous tenant (chinese) put a Ku dish on our roof. They left last month, but the mounting pole is still there (took the dish though ;) ).

I use dishnet now and was hoping that atn would come on dishnet.

rafiq
April 1, 2004, 10:19 AM
That's right, there's no ATN on Dish. Instead, they have 2 new Pak channels on preview. When I switched one on last night some talk show host was interviewing 3 moulanas from Wazirstan or wherever the military action was taking place. It made for riveting TV indeed.

Nasif
April 1, 2004, 10:22 AM
Its not 2, its 3 new pak channels. AryDigital, AryOne and GeoTV (AryOne is on 121 sat). That makes 4 paki channels with PTVPrime.

We don't have 1, while pakis have 4. This just sucks :(

Navarene
May 8, 2004, 01:25 AM
off topic:
Is anyone watching Channel I (http://www.jumptv.com) now? They are telecasting Robindro Joyonti live from Bidhan Nagari, Kolkata.

Nasif
September 22, 2004, 01:16 AM
Good news here :).
nTV started their broadcast in North America with the biggest home satellite service provider in US, Dishnetwork. Unlike ATN Bangla, which is using GlobeCast (crappy provider), nTV chose dishnetwork for their transmission. Which I think was on the spot!

Dishnetwork is the biggest provider of "desi" TV in north america with Zee, Sony, B4U, Ary and many other desi channels. Its great to see first BD channel on dishnet. There is already big bangladeshi customer base with dishnetwork. I guess they will get higher customer much quickly than ATN :)

Subscription is $14.99 per month (cheaper than ATN, which is $19.99 per month).

I have watched ATN, their transmission on Globecast is very poor due to very low bandwidth (probably paid very little). You will see huge pixels with even little to moderate motion video :duh: . In that regard nTV's video quality is excellent, no pixels here :up:

Hopefully other BD tv will join dishnet soon. May be next is our good old BTV :lol:

<a href=http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/channels/indexpackage.asp?NetwID=51568>Link to Dishnetwork nTV page</a>
<a href=http://www.ntvbd.com/home.htm>nTV Website</a>

rassel
September 22, 2004, 09:42 AM
yes , itís about time. I am tired of seeing dish network adding paki and Indian channel all the time.

:great:

Cricket46
September 22, 2004, 12:25 PM
nasif, you seem to have so much info. on these. Do you have any idea if we will see ATN or NTV online, somewhat like the way see Channel I via jumptv? To me, that is more attractive as I am in front of computer most of the day and hardly have any time to watch TV.

bd_cricket
September 22, 2004, 01:55 PM
Nasif,
Are you already started watching NTV on Dish Network?
Does it require Super Dish or Dish 500 is ok?
There is not much info in the website.
Thanks.

oracle
September 22, 2004, 02:05 PM
It requires superdish, So you need a new one or replace what you have. But what I want to know is how much cricket is available. I don't want to spend it on non-sports programmes. And you will be asked to sign up for a year.:(

rassel
September 22, 2004, 03:00 PM
It cost me around $99 bucks when I signed up for the international program. It does require a superdish. Anyway, question to Oracle bahi how do you know you will be asked to sign up for a year. I am just wondering because last time I sign up for ARY digital and then cancel it the next month.

:-/

Edited on, September 22, 2004, 8:26 PM GMT, by rassel.

bd_cricket
September 22, 2004, 04:08 PM
I am seeing ARY digital and it doesn't require super dish. Are you sure NTV will require super dish.

Nasif
September 22, 2004, 04:41 PM
nTV needs super-dish. Super-dish for Echostar Sat 121 covers all desi channels. You won't need dish to point to 61.4 or 148 satellites. Sat 121 has all desi channels, Sony, Zee, TVAsia, B4u, Ary One, Ary Digital, PTV, Geo and of course nTV. So this is one stop for your desi channels.

If you have a subscription to dish now, all you need is a superdish and $14.99 per month. Thats all, no other contracts are necessary. Superdish might set you back for $100 bucks. I installed mine (not real dish superdish, its FSS LNB 30" FTA satellite dish, which works fine with 121 satellite). If know how to install sat you can order 30" satellites dish on ebay and do it yourself. That is big 'if'. If you never installed/worked with satellite before, you won't be able to install it. Its not EASY!

Edited on, September 22, 2004, 9:52 PM GMT, by nasif.

Nasif
September 22, 2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Cricket46
nasif, you seem to have so much info. on these. Do you have any idea if we will see ATN or NTV online, somewhat like the way see Channel I via jumptv? To me, that is more attractive as I am in front of computer most of the day and hardly have any time to watch TV.

Sorry, I don't think there is any hope of live online nTV or ATN. You may want to write to JumpTV about this. :(

BTV World is next in line to come to USA market.

Nasif
September 22, 2004, 06:39 PM
Those who are wondering what programs does nTV shows, take a look at their program schedule:

http://www.ntvbd.com/program.htm

rafiq
September 24, 2004, 12:14 AM
Does DISH charge for the superdish or can you switch your current gear for one?

rafiq
September 24, 2004, 12:15 AM
and nasif you should open a NY/NJ Dish franchise, train a few guys and off you go...

Nasif
September 24, 2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by rafiq

not sure if they will let you swap. I bought the dish from ebay and setup my self.

You will find lot of <a href=http://search.ebay.com/superdish_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8 target=new>SuperDish on ebay</a>

You have to get someone to install it though, talk to your local dish dealer. :)

bd_cricket
September 24, 2004, 04:01 PM
I talked to Dish Network people last night. I have Dish300 right now and just have ARY Digital (which I subscribed during Asia Cup - never watched that after that). I don't subscribe any US channels through them.

They told me that they will switch Super Dish for me with free installation and with no cost if I sign-up the US channels with them for one year.

I was not interested in signing up for US channels at all. Then they offered me they will switch to Super Dish for me for $75 (with installation) with no sign-up required. That is the deal they are having right now.

Originally posted by nasif
Originally posted by rafiq

not sure if they will let you swap. I bought the dish from ebay and setup my self.

You will find lot of <a href=http://search.ebay.com/superdish_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8 target=new>SuperDish on ebay</a>

You have to get someone to install it though, talk to your local dish dealer. :)

rafiq
September 24, 2004, 05:57 PM
thanks

Pundit
September 24, 2004, 08:03 PM
This is my limited experience with Dish Network -

We had the Super dish installed with the hope to subscribe to the deshi channels sometime in the future. Unfortunately, given the orientation of our home, we had only but one place to install it at - on the top weak end of a not so sturdy fence. This made the fence bend backwards every now and then. Moreover, I hear that the Super needs a 3 ray lock on the receive path. So any minor loss in orientation snapped our signal.

Just got our small dish installed, instead. Speaking about lack of backward incompatibility. Now I'm stuck with Cricinfo or a 45 mi drive to a deshis home for cricket viewing.

Sob Sob.

oracle
September 24, 2004, 09:07 PM
I just found out that I cannot get reception because of all the jungle of trees around me. Apparently I have matured trees that are blocking reception angle of signals. However, there is news that a new dish is arriving that will be different from Superdish. I hope nasif, dish expert, has some ideas. :(

Edited on, September 25, 2004, 2:12 AM GMT, by oracle.

Nasif
September 25, 2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by oracle
I just found out that I cannot get reception because of all the jungle of trees around me. Apparently I have matured trees that are blocking reception angle of signals. However, there is news that a new dish is arriving that will be different from Superdish. I hope nasif, dish expert, has some ideas. :(

I don't know how dense is your trees, but if the trees are around 100 feet away then it should be fine. You may need to use bigger dish. I hate dish's own "SuperDish". There is nothing super about the super dish. Its a crappy design to incorporate everything on one plate. I use a general 30" FTA Dish with standard Ku LNB.

If you can watch Dish english channels on 119 satellite now, then there is no reason that you can't get 121 satellite.

Keep your existing dish as it is. Get a FTA Dish (diameter 30" up, bigger the better) with standard Ku band LNB from ebay and you are good to go. Use a 2-1 or 4-1 dishnetwork switch and combine all your satellite signal into one wire to your receiver. That should do it.

The reason for all these messed up situation with dish is because 121 Satellite wasn't launched by Echostar (dishnetwork). This was a standard Ku satellite (like other sats such as IntelSat, Galaxy etc). Echostar bought it and now they are stuck with 2 different system.

Dishnetwork's standard satellite transmit very powerful signal so that your 18" dish can get the signal. The signal orientation is also different than normal Ku band satellite. That is why you cannot use your normal dish 300/500 to get signal from 121. Satellite 121 is normal Ku band sat and transmit weak signal (but covers much bigger range). To get signal from it we need normal Ku LNB and large dish (must be 30" or bigger). Here is <a href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32848&item=5722443939&rd=1 target=new>one in ebay</a>

Edited on, September 25, 2004, 5:23 AM GMT, by nasif.

moin747
September 28, 2004, 01:16 PM
is ntv free on nss6
http://www.lyngsat.com/nss6.html

FaltuRidwanBhai
September 28, 2004, 02:09 PM
btv ashleo ki na ashleo ki......btv to desher manushi dekhe na. amra ar ki dekhbo.....

Nasif
September 28, 2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by moin747
is ntv free on nss6
http://www.lyngsat.com/nss6.html

NSS6 doesn't have line of sight in north america. Its signal only covers Asia, part of Middle East and Australia. No signal on Europe or America.

nTV is on two satellite as FTA, NSS6 and Telstar10. None of them have any signal on America or Europe.

rassel
October 24, 2004, 02:47 PM
dish link (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/channels/indexpackage.asp?NetwID=51617)

CHANNEL-I/NTV BANGLA
$24.99/month or $274.89 annually

This package includes Channel-i and NTV Bangla. These highly rated Bangla-language channels offer a variety of programs including news, entertainment, top drama serials, musical programs, movies, documentaries, live interactive talk shows, children's programs, cultural programs and much more.
A SuperDISH antenna will be required in order to receive this programming

:great:

Edited on, October 24, 2004, 7:50 PM GMT, by rassel.

Nasif
October 24, 2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the update russel :)

Both Channel-I and nTV is avaialbe for 14.99 each or 24.99 together per month.

Edited on, October 24, 2004, 8:06 PM GMT, by nasif.

rassel
October 24, 2004, 11:18 PM
Sure no problem. I wish they bring ATN Bangla on dish in the future. Anyway, I bet dish people already getting result with ntv thatís why they added this new channel. ;)

jubaitca
November 5, 2004, 11:41 AM
Another bengali channel has arrived at 121 degrees, channel 805, called TARA TV, that is telecasted from bangladesh.:karate:

Nasif
November 5, 2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by jubaitca
Another bengali channel has arrived at 121 degrees, channel 805, called TARA TV, that is telecasted from bangladesh.:karate:

Thanks for the news.

Just checked, here is <a href=http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/channels/indexpackage.asp?NetwID=51624>Tara on Dish's website</a>

rassel
November 7, 2004, 01:08 AM
Man! dish network must be on fire with BD channel subscriber. I mean 3 channels in little over a month. :lol:

Nasif
November 7, 2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by rassel
Man! dish network must be on fire with BD channel subscriber. I mean 3 channels in little over a month. :lol:

This was pre-planned move by all these channels. Remember few months back, I posted all these three channels poped up on NileSat. They were broadcasting on NileSat only for few days then switched it off to feed only. They are using NileSat to feed the stream to Dishnet uplink station.

All of these three probably signed a deal with dishnet and it was a coordinated move by them together. It is very good that they are cooperating together for global BD channel broadcasts, especially Tara (a kokata based channel), cooperating with BD channels looks good for future of Bangla channels.

Hopefully, BTV can see the light of the day and joins the Dishnet too. We will be then able to get some live broadcasts of BD test/odi tour matches.

Edited on, November 7, 2004, 6:51 AM GMT, by nasif.

rassel
November 7, 2004, 02:03 AM
Yes, I forgot all about that. Definitely, it was a pre- plan move by all these channel.

BTV in the future would be an awesome addition with these channels. I mean BTV only good for live cricket. Nonetheless, it would be on top of my list for subscription.;)

Edited on, November 7, 2004, 7:11 AM GMT, by rassel.

allrounder
November 22, 2004, 10:23 AM
you can watch channel I on the web www.jumptv.com 10 dollars per month.

Nasif
November 10, 2006, 04:56 PM
RTV will be available in Dishnetwork from end of Nov, 2006. That will make Bangladeshi channel list on dish to 4. nTV, Channel-i, ATN & RTV.

On another note, Kolkata based Tara TV closed operations on Dishnetwork few months back. I guess not too many BD Bangla speakers are interested on stuff from other side.