PDA

View Full Version : 14 XI after 1st round

rinathq
October 23, 2012, 02:36 AM
Pick your starting 14 after the first round. Lets see how many of you guys are consistent in maintaining your squad. This way, we will know who are just randomly shouting names and who knows what they are saying.

For me, I dont want a big change for the test series. I hate to see big changes for test squad specially when we are so bad at it. I think the proper way to get better is create a stable squad.

The Must ins

1) Tamim
2) Shakib
3) Mushy
4) Rubel

The ones who deserve to make the squad

5) Sunny
6) Nasir
7) Nazmul
8) Riyad

The ones that can be given a chance based on their form or last appearance

9) Naeem Islam
10) Enamul Huq Jnr
11) Nazimuddin
12) Shahriar Nafees

The ones that should be included to get under the national pool and get in touch with our coaches for future occasions but not actually tested for the current tour

13) Mominul Haque
14) Shohag Gazi

I believe in a 2 seamer attack at home. Nazmul-Rubel is the best combination. Nazmul can produce some chances early and Rubel can bring reverse swing later. Both are completely different bowlers and together they can unsettle the batting pair. If one gets injured than bring in Shahadat or Syed Rasel. yes I would rather go with Rasel than Shafiul. I hate the speed that has no control

Finally, The ones that will be under the radar from now on outside the 14 will be, Marshall Ayub, Taskin Ahmed, Saqlain Sajib

Lets see If I can maintain my squad :)

zinatf
October 23, 2012, 02:40 AM
^Not to forget Taskin. He's been very impressive so far...

Gowza
October 23, 2012, 02:46 AM
1 tamim
2 anamul
3 mominul
4 nasir
5 shakib
6 mushy
7 dhiman
8 sohag
9 sunny
10 rubel
11 nazmul
12 naeem
13 enamul
14 shafiul/nazimuddin

rinathq
October 23, 2012, 02:47 AM
^Not to forget Taskin. He's been very impressive so far...

I did mention him... read above

Isnaad
October 23, 2012, 03:16 AM
1. Tamim Iqbal (95%)
2. Anamul Haque (50%)
3. Mominul Haque (50%)
4. Shakib Al Hasan (100%)
5. Nasir Hossain (90%)
6. Mushfiqur Rahim (80%)
7. Naeem Islam (60%)
8. Sohag Gazi (50%) [For batting depth instead of Elias Sunny]
9. Enamul Haque (Jr.) (75%)
10. Rubel Hossain (90%)
11. Nazmul Hossain (55%)
12. Elias Sunny (70%)
13. Mahmudullah Riyad (40%)
14. Mohammad Nazimuddin (40%)

Jadukor
October 23, 2012, 03:20 AM
I highly doubt Nazmul will get a chance given how the selectors are so happy to ignore him time and again.
I would be happy if we go with Nazmul, Rubel, Shohag Gazi and Enamul Jr. as the bowlers to support Shakib. We shouldn't allow heavy workload on Shakib with the ball given his fitness and the need for operation.
In terms of performance Naeem now has done everything possible to get called in i suppose.

tiger_army
October 23, 2012, 08:21 AM
1 Tamim
2 SS
3 Naeem
4 Shakib
5 Mushy
6 Nasir
7 marshall (lb)
8 gazi (ob)
9 Enamul jnr (l)
10 Rubel
11 SRK

zinatf
October 23, 2012, 10:19 AM
1 Tamim
2 SS
3 Naeem
4 Shakib
5 Mushy
6 Nasir
7 marshall (lb)
8 gazi (ob)
9 Enamul jnr (l)
10 Rubel
11 SRK

Welcome back. It's been a while since you posted.....

BANFAN
October 23, 2012, 10:28 AM
I highly doubt Nazmul will get a chance given how the selectors are so happy to ignore him time and again.
I would be happy if we go with Nazmul, Rubel, Shohag Gazi and Enamul Jr. as the bowlers to support Shakib. We shouldn't allow heavy workload on Shakib with the ball given his fitness and the need for operation.
In terms of performance Naeem now has done everything possible to get called in i suppose.

I think you are taking it in the wrong direction.

Firstly, other bowlers should not be there to support Shakib, rather everyone should have their own role and perform according to that. Well, let the team decide what role who plays to take 20 wickets. Everyone should be part of a plan.

Secondly, Shakib needs an operation, doesn't really mean that he is in some sort of pain or his fitness is low. As I understand, it's a preventive operation to avoid future complications. If his fitness is not 100% he shouldn't play, it's as simple as that. We don't like to turn into a one man team, even psychologically. That makes a lame duck team. And that risks Shakibs health further. A player is more important than a series. He plays, only if he is fit.

Well, Shakib may be the best performer, but we expect upcoming players to challenge that and out perform Shakib. That's how they lift their performance. Every player must know that they are expected to excel and outperform the current best players by their own merit. So lets not make them second class. That lowers the expectation and he knows you expect less than Shakib from him. That's not healthy.

Shakib's bowling has been a concern lately, hope he gets back his form in home conditions and we have a formidable team to face the WI team in the test series, it's nt the job of one or two guys, everyone must have the freedom to excel, if you like to win against them.

BANFAN
October 23, 2012, 10:34 AM
1) Tamim
2) Shakib
3) Mushy
4) Rubel
5) Sunny
6) Nasir
7) Nazmul/Shafiul
8) Riyad
9) Naeem Islam
10) Enamul Huq Jnr
11) Nazimuddin
12) Shohag Gazi
13) Mominul Haque
14) Shafiul/Shahadat
15) Marshal Ayub

This should be the 15 for me..... Mostly the same team as the OP

AsifTheManRahman
October 23, 2012, 10:49 AM
14 or XI?

Rubel and Nazmul are the only FBs that make the cut. Which is sad and risky, because what if one of them gets injured? Gayle will go mental on Shafiul, Abul and SRK.

I say unleash the SLAs, go all out SLA attack. Shakib, Elias, Enam. Put Gazi in the 14 as an option for variation.

Naeem should play - he's done enough, especially when his competition includes all quadruple face-palm-worthy non-batsmen.

All in all, pathetic line up no matter who you pick. On top of that, Jurgensen will make sure our batsmen turn into Shafiuls and Abuls overnight (not that they are much better to begin with anyways).

There shall be bloodshed on the pitches of Bangladesh and it ain't gonna be no WI blood.

jeesh
October 23, 2012, 10:58 AM
Lets hold back on Mominul for a bit longer. He might be better than some of our NT batsmen, but let him play a bit more FC and A Team cricket before we put him in the test or ODI team. Look at our history, we ve often introduced talented young batsmen too early. Because they cant adjust to the requirement of international standard cricket their mindset/confidence takes a blow, and we all know what happens after that. Not sure even Gazi is ready.

Will be surprised to see selectors springing any major changes.

Nadim
October 23, 2012, 11:04 AM
If I was the selector, this would have been my 14 man squad gor WI Testt series:

1)Mushy
2) Tamim
3) Shakib
4) Nasir
5) Rubel
6) Riyad(VC-cough cough)
7) Enamul jr
8) Nayeem
9) nazimuddin (based on his last test series)
10) Mominul
11) Elias sunny
12) Sohag Gazi
13) Nazmul Hossain
14) Taskin

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If I was the captain/coach/ member of team mngment, this would be my 11 for the first test.

1) Tamim
2) Nazimuddin
3) Mominul
4) Nayeem
5) Shakib
6) Mushy
7) Nasir
8) Gazi
9) Rubel
10) Nazmul
11) Enamul jr.

I personally don't rate sunny, Specially against leftie and WI have 3/4 LH batsmans in their team thus I have Gazi,who is not too bad with the bat either. Enamul deserve a palace in the XI!!!
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

This was my 14 and my XI before Ayub got his double. I would still go with the same team and the XI. Let Ayub score more runs:)

mufi_02
October 23, 2012, 11:05 AM
Here is my playing XI

1. Tamim
2. Nazim
3. Mominul/SN
4. Shakib
5. Mushy
6. Naeem
7. Riyad
8. Nasir
9. Enam jnr
10. Rubel
11. Nazmul

2 seamers - Rubel, Nazmul
2 SLAs- Shakib, Enam
2 offie - Riyad, Naeem

Batting deep (1-8)

That's the best we can do.

AsifTheManRahman
October 23, 2012, 11:06 AM
Lets hold back on Mominul for a bit longer. He might be better than some of our NT batsmen, but let him play a bit more FC and A Team cricket before we put him in the test or ODI team. Look at our history, we ve often introduced talented young batsmen too early. Because they cant adjust to the requirement of international standard cricket their mindset/confidence takes a blow, and we all know what happens after that. Not sure even Gazi is ready.

Agree about Mominul. The goal is to create players that are much better than the current bunch - that's the way to advance, even if it means that we forgo short term benefits. Let Mominul play more A team games and train with the Academy coach so that when he does start with the NT, his career doesn't die like the Nafeeses and Mofeezes that give us so much pain.

BANFAN
October 23, 2012, 01:44 PM

Agree to that completely. Same is applicable for Anamul.

We need variation with bowlers more. So that we can use different options to take 20 wickets. Batting wise probably it won't make much difference whomever you take. We need a solid bowling attack. So, taking inform bowlers is very importan,. Shohag, should be in the team IMO, along with Shakib, Enamul, Sunny, Riyad, Nayeem, Rubel, SRK ... Will make a good attack.that will be a strong batting side as well.

Rifat
October 23, 2012, 02:25 PM
Here is my playing XI

1. Tamim
2. Nazim
3. Mominul/SN
4. Shakib
5. Mushy
6. Naeem
7. Riyad
8. Nasir
9. Enam jnr
10. Rubel
11. Nazmul

2 seamers - Rubel, Nazmul
2 SLAs- Shakib, Enam
2 offie - Riyad, Naeem

Batting deep (1-8)

That's the best we can do.

this is what i would do:

1. Tamim
2. Nazim
3. Naeem
4. Shakib
5. Mushy
6. Riyad
7. Nasir
8. Shohag Gazi
9. Enam jnr
10. Rubel
11. Nazmul

remember, Shakib needs an operation soon, so having an extra off spinner like Gazi won't be such a bad idea after all...

AsifTheManRahman
October 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
Why is everyone dropping Sunny?

Gowza
October 23, 2012, 04:04 PM
Why is everyone dropping Sunny?

my thoughts to. everyone has seen what enamul has done recently and decided to pick him over sunny, even before sohag got his 7fer and century people were dropping sunny and playing enamul as the 2nd spinner with no 3rd spinner, now sunny is being dropped behind both enamul and sohag.

sunny has been good so far, no reason to drop him, he's performed well over all formats he's played internationally so it's harsh to drop him for enamul who might be in form but has had a lot of chances internationally already and not been consistent.

but if people really want sohag can be the #7, and if only 2 pacers are selected then we can have 4 spinners including shakib (shakib, sunny, enamul, sohag).

jeesh
October 23, 2012, 11:26 PM
Guys, it was Sunny who gave Windies trouble last time around right :)

rinathq
October 24, 2012, 03:10 AM

Thank you... best post I think
The process of " prospect- temporary shine- debut- pressure-failure-dropped-ignored" need to be stopped. Mominul, Anamul, Gazi, Babu, Taskin, Soumya will make the future squads. I would say give them another 2-3 years. We have enough players to keep running the way it is. We cant really expect to bring young players and suddenly turn Bangladesh into Australia.

BANFAN
October 24, 2012, 03:59 AM
Thank you... best post I think
The process of " prospect- temporary shine- debut- pressure-failure-dropped-ignored" need to be stopped. Mominul, Anamul, Gazi, Babu, Taskin, Soumya will make the future squads. I would say give them another 2-3 years. We have enough players to keep running the way it is. We cant really expect to bring young players and suddenly turn Bangladesh into Australia.

It's easy to fast track a bowler than a batsman. They adjust faster than batsmen.

Gowza
October 25, 2012, 02:16 AM
just a comparison on anamul and mominul when it comes to selection, even if it's just to be in the squad and not play. anamul has played more domestic matches in all 3 formats, he's played 5 more FC matches than mominul he has a better average by 7 (anamul 40 mominul 33) he has more tons (anamul 5 mominul 2) he has more half tons (anamul 5 mominul 4). i realise mominul has a big ton in A team cricket but he's also got more chances than anamul in A team cricket. so as far as being selected to just be in the squad and be around the national team then i think anamul has more claims for that than mominul does. i however think both players should be in the squad, both are developing nicely, both are overcoming the challenges put in front of them and i think mentally both are strong enough and want it enough to succeed at the highest level.

from a squad/team standpoint i think the inclusion of these 2 players will improve the overall attitude of the squad/team, they want to be winners and are willing to work for it and they actually perform.

jeesh
October 25, 2012, 03:43 AM
One reason why our batting is reasonably good these days is because we have three batsmen who are dependable run scorers. All three are capable of scoring against any type of opposition in any type of wicket and situation. And these three are capable of easily averaging over 30 in ODI's and Tests (Which they do btw) which is quire a rare feat for Bangladeshi batsmen. I am talking abt Tamim, Shakib and Nasir. Because of these three now we can confidently say we can score over 200 in ODI's and 300 in a test innings. This wasnt always the case with the Habibul Bashars and Ashrafuls.

The addition of Anamul Haque and Mominul will be a huge milestone in the history of Bangladeshi cricket. Because like Tamim, Shakib and Nasir-Anamul and Mominul are batsmen capable of scoring a lot of runs for us consistently. Even now they are probably better than our current crop (Jahurul Islam, Imrul Kayes, Junaid Siddiqui, Raqibul Hasan). I reckon they too can easily become 30 plus average batsmen. Never before in our history have we had 5 such batsmen playing in the same team. Can you imagine the impact?

But heres the thing. One could say the same about Nafis Iqbal, Shahriar Nafees, Ashraful, Raqibul Hasan when they started. All of them were extremely talented, did well in FC, even did well for the NT when they started. But somewhere something went wrong. We have to make sure this something doesnt go wrong with Anamul and Moninul as well. Best precaution we can take is to go a little slow. Let them work with McIness. Let them score more runs in FC, A Team matches, BPL. Let them earn their spot. I have no doubt they will be an improvement over our current batsmen. But lets not be hasty and let us not allow history to repeat itself all over again. These two are very special talents-lets groom them, train them before pushing them into the deep end of the ocean. Once they drown, theres no coming back

Isnaad
October 25, 2012, 04:07 AM
One reason why our batting is reasonably good these days is because we have three batsmen who are dependable run scorers. All three are capable of scoring against any type of opposition in any type of wicket and situation. And these three are capable of easily averaging over 30 in ODI's and Tests (Which they do btw) which is quire a rare feat for Bangladeshi batsmen. I am talking abt Tamim, Shakib and Nasir. Because of these three now we can confidently say we can score over 200 in ODI's and 300 in a test innings. This wasnt always the case with the Habibul Bashars and Ashrafuls.

The addition of Anamul Haque and Mominul will be a huge milestone in the history of Bangladeshi cricket. Because like Tamim, Shakib and Nasir-Anamul and Mominul are batsmen capable of scoring a lot of runs for us consistently. Even now they are probably better than our current crop (Jahurul Islam, Imrul Kayes, Junaid Siddiqui, Raqibul Hasan). I reckon they too can easily become 30 plus average batsmen. Never before in our history have we had 5 such batsmen playing in the same team. Can you imagine the impact?

But heres the thing. One could say the same about Nafis Iqbal, Shahriar Nafees, Ashraful, Raqibul Hasan when they started. All of them were extremely talented, did well in FC, even did well for the NT when they started. But somewhere something went wrong. We have to make sure this something doesnt go wrong with Anamul and Moninul as well. Best precaution we can take is to go a little slow. Let them work with McIness. Let them score more runs in FC, A Team matches, BPL. Let them earn their spot. I have no doubt they will be an improvement over our current batsmen. But lets not be hasty and let us not allow history to repeat itself all over again. These two are very special talents-lets groom them, train them before pushing them into the deep end of the ocean. Once they drown, theres no coming back

While I agree with you wholeheartedly, I would like to add that Anamul (if not Mominul) has shown that he is ready for the Internatonal stage. None among Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan and Mohammad Ashraful averaged more than 35 at any stage of their career in First Class cricket. My only concern is Anamul's present dip in form. Hopefully he will make his way out soon.

Maysun
October 25, 2012, 05:41 AM
My preferred XI:
Tamim
Anamul
Mominul
Naeem
Shakib
Mushfiqur
Nasir
Riyad
Sunny
Nazmul
Rubel

Most likely XI:
Tamim
Nazim
Mominul
Naeem
Shakib
Mushfiqur
Nasir
Riyad
Sunny
Shahadat
Rubel

Gowza
October 25, 2012, 05:56 AM
My preferred XI:
Tamim
Anamul
Mominul
Naeem
Shakib
Mushfiqur
Nasir
Riyad
Sunny
Nazmul
Rubel

Most likely XI:
Tamim
Nazim
Mominul
Naeem
Shakib
Mushfiqur
Nasir
Riyad
Sunny
Shahadat
Rubel

why play riyad at #8? unless you want him there mainly as a bowler in which case it'd probably be better to choose enamul or sohag....also nasir at #7 is too low imo. nasir is great at being calm and taking his time with his innings, he's good at making partnerships so i think he's better utilised higher up.

BANFAN
October 25, 2012, 05:56 AM

Excellent reasoning ... I agree, we shouldn't hurry Anamul, Mominul ... Whatever they have done in the domestics, but they have failed to impress or show the same performance with a better opponent. U19 is not the level we are talking about. I feel, they have potential, but they are far from being matured batsmen in terms of handling the standards expected at the international level. Let them work with Mccinnes and improve their game. Lets not repeat history.

Our first class performances, without the national team players participation, isn't that worth counting for throwing them into international matches. We shouldn't out rightly consider Anamul's poor performances as a off form alone, he is yet to prove his class against quality opponents.

Gowza
October 25, 2012, 05:59 AM
While I agree with you wholeheartedly, I would like to add that Anamul (if not Mominul) has shown that he is ready for the Internatonal stage. None among Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan and Mohammad Ashraful averaged more than 35 at any stage of their career in First Class cricket. My only concern is Anamul's present dip in form. Hopefully he will make his way out soon.

although i believe anamul should make the jump to the national team i would like to see him get out of this current funk and i'm not sure about ash or SN but raqibul early on in his FC career did average over 50, actually think he was averaging over 55 at one point but it's dropped a lot and his high average early had a lot to do with his 313*.

Gowza
October 25, 2012, 06:03 AM
Excellent reasoning ... I agree, we shouldn't hurry Anamul, Mominul ... Whatever they have done in the domestics, but they have failed to impress or show the same performance with a better opponent. U19 is not the level we are talking about. I feel, they have potential, but they are far from being matured batsmen in terms of handling the standards expected at the international level. Let them work with Mccinnes and improve their game. Lets not repeat history.

Our first class performances, without the national team players participation, isn't that worth counting for throwing them into international matches. We shouldn't out rightly consider Anamul's poor performances as a off form alone, he is yet to prove his class against quality opponents.

mominul's 150 in the west indies for the A team was reasonably impressive, it's the one thing that he's done that anamul hasn't, he's made a big score away from home against decent opposition, in every other department anamul beats him which is why i pretty much place them fairly equal when it comes to their development and being ready for the next step.

Maysun
October 25, 2012, 06:08 AM
why play riyad at #8? unless you want him there mainly as a bowler in which case it'd probably be better to choose enamul or sohag....also nasir at #7 is too low imo. nasir is great at being calm and taking his time with his innings, he's good at making partnerships so i think he's better utilised higher up.

The batting order from Naeem-Shakib-Mushy-Riyad-Nasir should be flexible, and according to the match situation.

And regarding, Gazi's inclusion, I do want him in the XI, but I don't see it happening yet.
I think Enamul Jr. will be overlooked.

Gowza
October 25, 2012, 06:16 AM
The batting order from Naeem-Shakib-Mushy-Riyad-Nasir should be flexible, and according to the match situation.

And regarding, Gazi's inclusion, I do want him in the XI, but I don't see it happening yet.
I think Enamul Jr. will be overlooked.

it's made less flexible by naeem and riyad (especially naeem) not really being able to have enough time if they bat at 7/8 as they're not quick enough scorers and in FC cricket do their best work at a slower rate. i really think if they bat as low as 7 and 8 they're wasted so they'd really need to bat up the order but that means 2 of nasir, shakib and mushy have to bat at 7/8 and that's a waste for them also.

sohag is a good option for 7 or 8 because of his all round capabilities. i think we really need a specialist standard bowler in the #8 position so we have enough quality in the bowling to at least have some chance. #7 should go to an allrounder or specialist keeper rather than a pure batsman (which at test level naeem and riyad are basically batsmen rather than allrounders).

Only1raz
October 25, 2012, 09:23 AM
My playing XI

1. Tamim Iqbal
2. Anamul Haque
3. Mominul Haque
4. Naeem Islam
5. Nasir Hossain
6. Shakib Al Hasan
7. Mushfiqur Rahim
8. Mahmudullah Riyad/Sohag Gazi
9. Enamul Haque/Elias Sunny
10. Rubel Hossain
11. Shahadat Hossain/Nazmul Hossain

I don't see the point in opening with Nazimuddin as he's footwork so bad and with the West Indies fast bowlers it'll be like playing 10 vs 11.

shakibrulz
October 25, 2012, 02:19 PM
1. Tamim
2. Nazimuddin
3. Mahmudullah
4. Mushfiqur* +
5. Shakib
6. Naeem
7. Nasir
8. Sunny
9. Enamul Haque
10. Rubel
11. Nazmul

12. Nafees
13. Gazi
14. Mominul

Potential swap b/w Nafees and Nazim for opening slot.

rinathq
October 25, 2012, 02:38 PM
I think its time to give Riyad his old position back for test cricket. No. 4 or 5. He is not comfortable at top order. He can be given the responsibility to build the innings for the team. Rather he should play at the lowest possible batting order where he can hold things back if there is a collapse or extend the team innings lead. Whenever a player performs at lower order, we tend to push them up rather than leaving them at their comfort zone. At least its true for Riyad and Nasir in my opinion. Riyad is still a very good batsman. He performed great against New Zealand at seam conditions and India at home. So he can definitely handle the West Indian attack.

rinathq
October 25, 2012, 02:39 PM
1. Tamim
2. Nazimuddin
3. Mahmudullah
4. Mushfiqur* +
5. Shakib
6. Naeem
7. Nasir
8. Sunny
9. Enamul Haque
10. Rubel
11. Nazmul

12. Nafees
13. Gazi
14. Mominul

Potential swap b/w Nafees and Nazim for opening slot.

Pretty much same as me but my orde be slightly different

MohammedC
October 25, 2012, 02:40 PM
Thread opener what do you mean by "14 XI after 1st round"

nightwatchman
October 25, 2012, 02:46 PM
Tomra Abul re niba na? Abul Dudh bhaat
orey na niley khelbo na

rinathq
October 25, 2012, 03:22 PM
Thread opener what do you mean by "14 XI after 1st round"

the naming wasnt right... Appologies
my intention was to have ppl submit and discuss their squad based on Round 1 of NCL. Here in BC, one player scores a 100, than u see his name in at least 20 ppls squad. We like to throw in debuts before every series.
so my intention was to have ppl submit the squad, and the come back to it after the 2nd round and see how many ppl maintains their original squad... I want to see how many ppl are consistent with their choices....

the mods can change the name of the thread with a relevent title if they want

Max100
October 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
My team test only

Tamim
Nazimuddin
Mominul
Naeem
Shakib
Mushfiq
Nasir
Sohag gazi
Enam jr
Elias sunny
Rubel hossain
Najmul hossain

Gowza
October 25, 2012, 04:11 PM
the naming wasnt right... Appologies
my intention was to have ppl submit and discuss their squad based on Round 1 of NCL. Here in BC, one player scores a 100, than u see his name in at least 20 ppls squad. We like to throw in debuts before every series.
so my intention was to have ppl submit the squad, and the come back to it after the 2nd round and see how many ppl maintains their original squad... I want to see how many ppl are consistent with their choices....

the mods can change the name of the thread with a relevent title if they want

with a team it's tough to be consistent simply because the players themselves aren't that consistent, so inconsistent in fact that one or two innings can decided whether they should make a squad or not. but i think things are getting better, people aren't as gungho about selecting players these days, otherwise masrhall ayub would be in everyone's squad atm.

rinathq
October 25, 2012, 04:17 PM
with a team it's tough to be consistent simply because the players themselves aren't that consistent, so inconsistent in fact that one or two innings can decided whether they should make a squad or not. but i think things are getting better, people aren't as gungho about selecting players these days, otherwise masrhall ayub would be in everyone's squad atm.

But he is in so many squads... I dont think i ever saw him on anyones thoughts at all before! And suddenly he scores a 200 (which is an outstanding performance no doubt) and suddenly i see him in few squads here.

Gowza
October 25, 2012, 05:16 PM
But he is in so many squads... I dont think i ever saw him on anyones thoughts at all before! And suddenly he scores a 200 (which is an outstanding performance no doubt) and suddenly i see him in few squads here.

yeah i'm sure he wasn't in squads before this, he's been a prospect for years though but no doubt the 200 put him into squads but i think previously he'd be in even more squads.

Tiger444
October 25, 2012, 05:41 PM
Marshall Ayub should definitely not be considered for just 1 big score. Let him be more consistent and then if he continues to do well then pick him for the A team. He looks like a guy who can bat but needs to show more prolonged consistency
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Max100
October 25, 2012, 09:18 PM
Marshall ayub will not get chance based on one innings, i am sure. But enam jr def deserve a chance, nobody is so consistent than enam jr, a team , league, bpl, ncl, everywhere. His hard work need to pay off.
I think mominul should be selected too.

Anamul seems like off form again, so i wont advocate for him but sohag gazi might replace mahmudullah , similar type allrounder and naeem should come back only in test format

jeesh
October 26, 2012, 01:14 AM
Marshall Ayub should definitely not be considered for just 1 big score. Let him be more consistent and then if he continues to do well then pick him for the A team. He looks like a guy who can bat but needs to show more prolonged consistency
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition
:up: Very true. He was supposed to be a hot prospect, supposedly with immense potential. Good that he has hit a double ton. Now lets hope he continues the form for a season or two before we give him a chance in ODI or Tests. BPL will be another test.

Jadukor
October 26, 2012, 01:47 AM
Here is what would be a reasonable squad even though I am not convinced about a couple of players in it:
1. Tamim
2. Nazim (due to limited options)
3. Naeem (want to see what the hype surrounding him is all about)
4. Ryad (need to take more responsibility instead of hiding in the shadows)
5. Shakib
6. Mushy (wkt keeping is a demanding task in Tests and hence need time to rest before batting)
7. Nasir (no room for him up the order)
8. Shohag Gazi
9. Enamul Hq Jr
10. Nazmul
11. Rubel

Maysun
October 26, 2012, 02:33 AM
^ Just want to ask, what has E.Sunny done to be dropped?

Nevertheless, good XI!

Tiger Manc
October 26, 2012, 02:50 AM
^^ I agree. As much as Enamul Haque has done to gain a place Sunny hasn't done much to get dropped. Remember it was against the same opponents he took a 6-for on debut.

jeesh
October 26, 2012, 04:03 AM
Sunny is a must. He will pick up wickets. Plus he makes a very useful number 8, averages close to 25 in FC. Adds depth

If Enamul has to play it has to be in place of Razzak as the third spinner

Gowza
October 26, 2012, 04:08 AM
i think think as it stands right now with shakib and sunny performing they have to be the #1 and #2 SLAs, until one of them makes a mistake enamul will have to sit out and wait for his time, he had a chance already and couldn't take hold of it now it's sunny's turn to give it ago especially since he is performing very well. sohag should be the #1 offie, whether he gets a game or not is for discussion but he's a good choice for #7/#8 positions.

Tiger Manc
October 26, 2012, 05:50 AM
I do feel by now we should have produced another world class sla. I hope either Sunny or Enamul can become that. I'm looking forward to the battle for the 2nd sla spot in the future.

BANFAN
October 26, 2012, 09:57 AM
Here is what would be a reasonable squad even though I am not convinced about a couple of players in it:
1. Tamim
2. Nazim (due to limited options)
3. Naeem (want to see what the hype surrounding him is all about)
4. Ryad (need to take more responsibility instead of hiding in the shadows)
5. Shakib
6. Mushy (wkt keeping is a demanding task in Tests and hence need time to rest before batting)
7. Nasir (no room for him up the order)
8. Shohag Gazi
9. Enamul Hq Jr
10. Nazmul
11. Rubel

Won't mnd if this is the quad. But would like to see two changes, to make it even better IMO:

1. Sunny instead of Riyad... But that may not happen, so instead of Enamul.
2. With so many spinner/SLAs..in the team, we need to genuine Quicks for Variation... So instead of Nazmul it could be Shahadat/Shafiul...quick by our standard... Shahadat had been generally good in test matches..at times expensive but provides breakthroughs..Nazmul is ok for limited overs.

Tiger444
October 26, 2012, 11:43 AM
The most likely squad we'll see from the selectors is,

1. Tamim
2. Nazimuddin
3. Nafees
4. Riyad
5. Shakib
6. Nasir
7. Mushy
8. Shahadat
9. Sunny
10. Enamul
11. Rubel
12. Shafiul(backup pacer)
13. Sohag(backup spinner)
14. Naeem(backup middle order batsman)
15. Jahurul/Anamul(backup top order/wicketkeeper)

If it was up to me however I would have Mominul in place of Nazimuddin and Nazmul in place of Shahadat but the squad I put up here is the mostly likely the one we'll see once they put it up.

Tiger Manc
October 26, 2012, 02:10 PM
^^ I don't think the selectors would put Sohag Gazi in the squad.

Gowza
October 26, 2012, 03:15 PM
Won't mnd if this is the quad. But would like to see two changes, to make it even better IMO:

1. Sunny instead of Riyad... But that may not happen, so instead of Enamul.
2. With so many spinner/SLAs..in the team, we need to genuine Quicks for Variation... So instead of Nazmul it could be Shahadat/Shafiul...quick by our standard... Shahadat had been generally good in test matches..at times expensive but provides breakthroughs..Nazmul is ok for limited overs.

i'm sorry but a strike rate of 71, econ of 4.2 and average of 49.79, his average for the last 4 years is 68 and as you get closer to now it gets worse (last 3 years ave 71 econ 4.3 s/r 99 in 10 matches, last 2 years which granted is only matches but it's all we have to go on is 197 at a s/r of 249, yes 249 and an econ of 4.7).

shahadat had a good period in his career in around 2007/2008/2009 where he was aveaging low 40s but the couple of years before that and the years after that he's averaged high 40s even low 50s.

we only see him as the breakthrough man because he's the one who got the chances, probably if others had got so many chances they would also have similar if not better results.

if you're looking for pace may as well inject abul since he's less known by the opposition but really i think our best bets are rubel and nazmul for pace, shafiul would be the next one i'd pick.

BengaliPagol
October 26, 2012, 05:19 PM
1. Tamim Iqbal
2. Shahriar Nafees
3. Mominul Haque
4. Naeem Islam
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Nasir Hossain
7. Mushfiqur Rahim
8. Elias Sunny
9. Enamul Haque jnr
10. Nazmul Hossain
11. Rubel Hossain

Tiger444
October 26, 2012, 05:56 PM
^^ I don't think the selectors would put Sohag Gazi in the squad.

I think they might since the Windies are bringing in many lefties. Then again I won't be surprised if we end up seeing Razzak in there ahead of Gazi.

Tiger444
October 26, 2012, 06:02 PM
i'm sorry but a strike rate of 71, econ of 4.2 and average of 49.79, his average for the last 4 years is 68 and as you get closer to now it gets worse (last 3 years ave 71 econ 4.3 s/r 99 in 10 matches, last 2 years which granted is only matches but it's all we have to go on is 197 at a s/r of 249, yes 249 and an econ of 4.7).

shahadat had a good period in his career in around 2007/2008/2009 where he was aveaging low 40s but the couple of years before that and the years after that he's averaged high 40s even low 50s.

we only see him as the breakthrough man because he's the one who got the chances, probably if others had got so many chances they would also have similar if not better results.

if you're looking for pace may as well inject abul since he's less known by the opposition but really i think our best bets are rubel and nazmul for pace, shafiul would be the next one i'd pick.

Didn't Shahadat have an average above a 200 last year in Tests? I'm sorry but he shouldn't be in the team. His overall average might be better then the likes of Rubel and Shafiul but he just looked awful last year. Rubel in the tests at home, at least looked threatening to take wickets whereas Shahadat was just all over the place as he usually is. Nazmul, Shafiul and Rubel should be in the squad but knowing the selectors, we'll see Shahadat in place of Nazmul.

al Furqaan
October 26, 2012, 11:38 PM

Those stats aren't just terrible, they're appalling. In fact, laws should be passed criminalizing strike rates above 150! JK, but you get the point.

Shahadat like many of our other players was actually better than he is now. At one stage in his career he had an average of 36 and a strike rate of 52. Right after the 2008 RSA series. Mash is the only pacer to have a similar average, but no one has had such a strike rate. At one stage of his early career he a strike rate well into the 40s. He had so much potential...

I disagree here. Quite a few other bowlers got a fair amount of chances and produced like he has been the past couple of years. Mash and Tapash played quite a bit and didn't take a single fiver. All the innings bowled by Talha, Sharif, Nazmul, Rubel, Monju, Shafiul, Shanto, Robin, etc probably at least equals the amount of overs Shahadat has thrown down and they've only produced 1 fiver (by Rubel).

That being said, I'd still go with Rubel and Nazmul as my starting pacers and I would still select Shahadat in the XV because someone is bound to get hurt or smote out of the XI and Shahadat is next best bet we've got.

More to the topic of the OP...I've been thinking about this thread for a while and the 15 guys I would pick (starting XI first) would be:

1) Soumyo Sarkar
2) Tamim
3) Anamul
4) Mominul
5) Shakib
6) Mushfiq
7) Nasir
8) Sunny
9) Nazmul
10) Enamul
11) Rubel

x) Shahadat
x) Gazi
x) Nazimuddin
x) Naeem Islam

Soumyo is definitely not ready, but he has rare talent and we have no one else. Soumyo is definitely going to score tons interspersed by tons of single digit scores, but in time he may mature. Regardles, everyone knows my mantra, "we have no one else". Imrul is garbage, slightly less crappy in ODIs but his low SR makes Ashraful look appetizing. Nazimuddin is a Test "specialist" and although he did well against PAK, I doubt he has the quality to sustain it. I'd rather have Ash open than Imrul and Nazimuddin. But Nazimuddin didn't really get a good run, otherwise I won't hesitate in putting Ash back in my 15.

Anamul may be out of form, but form as we know is temporary. He's taken bowlers like Merchant de Lange to the cleaners on home pitches, why do we think he can't do the same to Tino Best and Rampaul? Anamul should have been picked a year ago, we waited too long and now he's beginning to suck. If you get stuck in the NCL too long, you go bad. This ain't the Sheffield Shield folks.

Mominul was by far the best batsman in the A team. It would be as idiotic to leave him out now as it was to leave Anam out a year ago. I know I've picked four debutants, but Michigan had 5 freshman start back in 1991.

The toughest choice was between Gazi and Enamul, but I went with Enamul because if you can pick an offie to bowl to RHBs than you can pick an SLA to bowl to LHBs. Besides all of Shakib, Sunny, and Enam are different bowlers with different styles. Nasir can bowl some offies if need be. Gazi does have batting upside, and thus it was a tough decision, and it could go either way. But I'll go with Enamul who's been ripping through any side he's bowled against for quite some time now. The spot is his to lose, however.

Pace wise Rubel and Nazmul pretty much select themselves. I am totally not confident in one or both of them and thus would not be surprised to have to resort to Shahadat, whose form is decent enough.

In the forseeable future, I see Taskin Ahmed eventually phasing out one of the pacers and taking over as the pace spearhead for Tests. I think he's a very ordinary limited overs bowling, talent notwithstanding, but I think its in Tests that he can make an immediate impact and where our needs lie. Our ODI pace trio of Mash, Rubel, and Nazmul is more than settled and actually quite competant.

Gowza
October 26, 2012, 11:50 PM
There are other pacers who have has decent chances, rubel and shafiul are 2 of those but rubel has improved a lot in the other formats and shafiul's stats aren't as bad as shahadat's. when I say he is the one that got the chances I mean guys like sajidul, robin, dolar etc got a handful of chances and no more.

al Furqaan
October 27, 2012, 12:57 AM
There are other pacers who have has decent chances, rubel and shafiul are 2 of those but rubel has improved a lot in the other formats and shafiul's stats aren't as bad as shahadat's. when I say he is the one that got the chances I mean guys like sajidul, robin, dolar etc got a handful of chances and no more.

Well I was never impressed with Robin or Dollar, so I would be highly surprised if they took any fivers ever. They were no better than Tapash if you ask me. Sajidul I had high hopes from but he kind of fell of the face of the earth like Rasel a little while later.

As for the current group, Rubel and Shafiul have played a fair number of matches and their stats stink even compared to Shahadat. Rubel has an economy rate approaching 5, has bowled 100 no balls in Tests faster than anyone else in the game's history, and both have strike rates approaching 100. I still have hope in Rubel because he's improved his ODI game and because he has pace and the ability to reverse swing it and bowl genione wicket taking deliveries. Shafiul too I thought could be a decent if slightly ordinary bowler with his ability to swing the ball, but he's dropped off alarmingly.

But I suppose being a pace bowler is hard work, otherwise guys like Ishant, Sreesanth, and pretty much all the Lankan bowlers (I know Jeesh is gonna hate me fore this) would have at least combined for half the success of the likes of Stuart Broad or Umar Gul.

Thats why, if he plays as he did last week, I am not only in favor of, but I would demand the inclusion of guys like Taskin into our Test side by this time next year. I am already demanding the inclusion of Anamul and Mominul and to slightly lesser extent Soumya. I've had enough of Ashraful and Imrul and frankly a string of 10 consecutive ducks from the new guys can't be any worse!

Gowza
October 27, 2012, 01:12 AM
yeah rubel and shafiul haven't got very good test stats but they have much much better ODI stats than shahadat, rubel has definitely shown improvement and shafiul might be struggling but like i said he has much better ODI stats than shahadat. i realise ODI results don't always translate to test results but it's treally our only hope at this point, shahadat is horrible in all formats, rubel and shafiul are at least decent in ODIs.

Rifat
October 27, 2012, 01:49 AM
agree with Gowza, last time i saw Shahadat bowl i wanted to vomit....no offense! Asia Cup final he was all over the place, He bowled a couple of good overs here and there and took a few wickets but other than than he was horrific to watch in recent times...(all formats combined)

rinathq
October 27, 2012, 02:57 AM
if u guys consider stats, there shouldnt be any pacers in the Bangladesh test 15 squad

al Furqaan
October 27, 2012, 03:25 AM
yeah rubel and shafiul haven't got very good test stats but they have much much better ODI stats than shahadat, rubel has definitely shown improvement and shafiul might be struggling but like i said he has much better ODI stats than shahadat. i realise ODI results don't always translate to test results but it's treally our only hope at this point, shahadat is horrible in all formats, rubel and shafiul are at least decent in ODIs.

Thats terrible logic. They're better ODI bowlers therefore they should start in Tests? I wholeheartedly disagree. I'd still go with Rubel but based purely on potential...his stats aren't even CLOSE to Rajib's. At the same stage in his career I think Rajib had a 30s average and 40s strike rate. I'd start Rubel, but by 2015 if Rubel still has a 50+ average and 90+ strike rate he too will have to be replaced.

By next year, I expect Taskin to replace Shahadat.

Gowza
October 27, 2012, 03:46 AM
Thats terrible logic. They're better ODI bowlers therefore they should start in Tests? I wholeheartedly disagree. I'd still go with Rubel but based purely on potential...his stats aren't even CLOSE to Rajib's. At the same stage in his career I think Rajib had a 30s average and 40s strike rate. I'd start Rubel, but by 2015 if Rubel still has a 50+ average and 90+ strike rate he too will have to be replaced.

By next year, I expect Taskin to replace Shahadat.

might be terrible logic but the fact is other than mash the only reasonably successful BD pacers internationally are rubel, shafiu and nazmul for their ODI bowling. consider this, a pacer who is somewhat successful in ODIs probably has a better chance of succeeding in tests than if they didn't have that success in the other format. also, moreso with bowlers than batsmen those who aren't successful in ODIs generally aren't successful in tests either and what we get when we compare shahadat and the other 3 is that they have done ok in one-dayers whereas shahadat hasn't. yes they've all done poorly in tests that is true and yes if they have 50+ averages with 90+ strike rates in a few years they should also be replaced but you can't totally dismiss ODI bowling success just because you are selecting a test side, especially when it comes to BD which has no successful test pacers to-date.

also the difference between rubel and shahadat is that rubel has shown an ability to improve, you may just say it's ODIs who cares, but he's shown improvement, shahadat hasn't, actually he's gone backwards.

as far as taskin goes, he's just another guy with potential at this stage, there have been plenty e.g. shahadat, mash, talha, mash, abul, emon ahmed, sajidul, kamrul etc. he has pace, he has height, he's young and he's done well in u19s fair enough he's a prospect but same can be said of abu jayed, also al amin has been good. taskin isn't the only pacer with potential. hopefully by a years time taskin has performed domestically because even if he has potential i wouldn't pick him unless he was backed by domestic performance. the days are gone where selection should purely be based on potential and talent, needs to be backed by some good domestic performances to.

Tiger Manc
October 27, 2012, 03:50 AM
@ Al Furqan why would you leave out Riyad from your team?

Gowza
October 27, 2012, 03:55 AM
Those stats aren't just terrible, they're appalling. In fact, laws should be passed criminalizing strike rates above 150! JK, but you get the point.

Shahadat like many of our other players was actually better than he is now. At one stage in his career he had an average of 36 and a strike rate of 52. Right after the 2008 RSA series. Mash is the only pacer to have a similar average, but no one has had such a strike rate. At one stage of his early career he a strike rate well into the 40s. He had so much potential...

I disagree here. Quite a few other bowlers got a fair amount of chances and produced like he has been the past couple of years. Mash and Tapash played quite a bit and didn't take a single fiver. All the innings bowled by Talha, Sharif, Nazmul, Rubel, Monju, Shafiul, Shanto, Robin, etc probably at least equals the amount of overs Shahadat has thrown down and they've only produced 1 fiver (by Rubel).

That being said, I'd still go with Rubel and Nazmul as my starting pacers and I would still select Shahadat in the XV because someone is bound to get hurt or smote out of the XI and Shahadat is next best bet we've got.

More to the topic of the OP...I've been thinking about this thread for a while and the 15 guys I would pick (starting XI first) would be:

1) Soumyo Sarkar
2) Tamim
3) Anamul
4) Mominul
5) Shakib
6) Mushfiq
7) Nasir
8) Sunny
9) Nazmul
10) Enamul
11) Rubel

x) Shahadat
x) Gazi
x) Nazimuddin
x) Naeem Islam

Soumyo is definitely not ready, but he has rare talent and we have no one else. Soumyo is definitely going to score tons interspersed by tons of single digit scores, but in time he may mature. Regardles, everyone knows my mantra, "we have no one else". Imrul is garbage, slightly less crappy in ODIs but his low SR makes Ashraful look appetizing. Nazimuddin is a Test "specialist" and although he did well against PAK, I doubt he has the quality to sustain it. I'd rather have Ash open than Imrul and Nazimuddin. But Nazimuddin didn't really get a good run, otherwise I won't hesitate in putting Ash back in my 15.

Anamul may be out of form, but form as we know is temporary. He's taken bowlers like Merchant de Lange to the cleaners on home pitches, why do we think he can't do the same to Tino Best and Rampaul? Anamul should have been picked a year ago, we waited too long and now he's beginning to suck. If you get stuck in the NCL too long, you go bad. This ain't the Sheffield Shield folks.

Mominul was by far the best batsman in the A team. It would be as idiotic to leave him out now as it was to leave Anam out a year ago. I know I've picked four debutants, but Michigan had 5 freshman start back in 1991.

The toughest choice was between Gazi and Enamul, but I went with Enamul because if you can pick an offie to bowl to RHBs than you can pick an SLA to bowl to LHBs. Besides all of Shakib, Sunny, and Enam are different bowlers with different styles. Nasir can bowl some offies if need be. Gazi does have batting upside, and thus it was a tough decision, and it could go either way. But I'll go with Enamul who's been ripping through any side he's bowled against for quite some time now. The spot is his to lose, however.

Pace wise Rubel and Nazmul pretty much select themselves. I am totally not confident in one or both of them and thus would not be surprised to have to resort to Shahadat, whose form is decent enough.

In the forseeable future, I see Taskin Ahmed eventually phasing out one of the pacers and taking over as the pace spearhead for Tests. I think he's a very ordinary limited overs bowling, talent notwithstanding, but I think its in Tests that he can make an immediate impact and where our needs lie. Our ODI pace trio of Mash, Rubel, and Nazmul is more than settled and actually quite competant.

other than shafiul for shahadat and leaving out SS (since i picked 14 not 15) our squads are the same.

kalpurush
October 27, 2012, 04:02 AM
Why not? ;)

al Furqaan
October 27, 2012, 04:28 AM
might be terrible logic but the fact is other than mash the only reasonably successful BD pacers internationally are rubel, shafiu and nazmul for their ODI bowling. consider this, a pacer who is somewhat successful in ODIs probably has a better chance of succeeding in tests than if they didn't have that success in the other format. also, moreso with bowlers than batsmen those who aren't successful in ODIs generally aren't successful in tests either and what we get when we compare shahadat and the other 3 is that they have done ok in one-dayers whereas shahadat hasn't. yes they've all done poorly in tests that is true and yes if they have 50+ averages with 90+ strike rates in a few years they should also be replaced but you can't totally dismiss ODI bowling success just because you are selecting a test side, especially when it comes to BD which has no successful test pacers to-date.

also the difference between rubel and shahadat is that rubel has shown an ability to improve, you may just say it's ODIs who cares, but he's shown improvement, shahadat hasn't, actually he's gone backwards.

as far as taskin goes, he's just another guy with potential at this stage, there have been plenty e.g. shahadat, mash, talha, mash, abul, emon ahmed, sajidul, kamrul etc. he has pace, he has height, he's young and he's done well in u19s fair enough he's a prospect but same can be said of abu jayed, also al amin has been good. taskin isn't the only pacer with potential. hopefully by a years time taskin has performed domestically because even if he has potential i wouldn't pick him unless he was backed by domestic performance. the days are gone where selection should purely be based on potential and talent, needs to be backed by some good domestic performances to.

If the bowler is uncapped in one format, yes, its fair to make an assumption. However Rubel and Shafiul have both played a handful of Tests, enough to get a good assessment about their abilities. We can say, with reasonable certainty, that as of the last Test we played, not much seperates Rubel, Shafiul, or Shahadat. They are all equally unimpressive. In that circumstance, the default would be to pick the guy who a) has the most experience (Shahadat) and/or b) can bowl an "Eid" spell (also Shahadat). Because Shahadat wins on both fronts, its actually a no brainer to select Shahadat over Rubel and Shafiul if thats the choice that has to be made. Since Nazmul should get the first slot, then Shahadat should win the last remaining spot.

However, the mitigating factor is Shahadat's recent form. While Rubel and Shafiul are pitifully averaging near the century mark, Shahadat has lately been averaging around the double ton mark. Thus, I am picking Rubel over Shahadat for the time being.

We know the selectors are going to select Rubel and Shahadat for the 2 Tests and Nazmul's only chance is if someone gets injured - even though he should be the first choice seamer.

al Furqaan
October 27, 2012, 04:30 AM

Riyad has more ability than Naeem, but Naeem is guaranteed to face 100+ deliveries, possibly more even if he's batting down at #8. Riyad has poor form as of right now and thus he deserves the axe.

Tiger Manc
October 27, 2012, 07:59 AM
^^ Riyad will prove himself. Besides since when did Bangladesh have the luxury to drop a batsman that averages 30.

Gowza
October 27, 2012, 08:06 AM
BD's middle order is doing very nicely at current, shakib, nasir and rahim i would say are all better batsmen than riyad so that really leaves riyad batting down at #7 which i guess if you rate his bowling it's ok but personally i don't think he's quite a good enough test match bowler to take a lower order spot which could go to a specialist bowler or a bowling allrounder (i think at best riyad is a batting allrounder in tests as opposed to bowling allrounder). otherwise the only other open spots for him would be 2nd opener or the #3 spot and i don't think he'd do very well there. naeem and riyad are similar players so i think riyad's role would pretty much be covered if naeem was selected and naeem is in form whereas riyad has been struggling lately.

Sohel
October 27, 2012, 09:09 AM
I'm "kewl" with any combination as long as the incomparable Nazza's in the mix. If he does well in the NCL, the greatest FC tournament that ever was/is/will be, then everyone will see what the gods know already. If he doesn't, then it must be an anomaly obvious enough to include him in the team as our only chance to show the dancin' islanders what time it is.

Guys like Shakib, Tamim, Bijauy, Hom, SoSa and Mushfique have nuttn' on him. Taskin??? I'm sure Mushfik Babu will do better.

Gowza
October 27, 2012, 09:15 AM
I'm "kewl" with any combination as long as the incomparable Nazza's in the mix. If he does well in the NCL, the greatest FC tournament that ever was/is/will be, then everyone will see what the gods know already. If he doesn't, then it must be an anomaly obvious enough to include him in the team as our only chance to show the dancin' islanders what time it is.

Guys like Shakib, Tamim, Bijauy, Hom, SoSa and Mushfique have nuttn' on him. Taskin??? I'm sure Mushfik Babu will do better.

glad someone has brought hom's name into it, didn't play the first round of NCL but had he done so and scored some runs he surely would have been a strong contender for my squad.

rinathq
October 28, 2012, 06:45 PM
I hope Shuvagata Hom gets to play soon... he is averaging 47 with the bat with 3 centuries and 6 half-centuries. He has been of form but I hope he can make a come back. When i saw him play in the ODIs, i thought he is a better example of an ideal batsman. he is not too aggressive or too defensive but somewhere in the middle. Obviously he needs to work on his consistency and temperament to be on the test side but still he is one of the better options right now.

On the other hand, I am surprised to see no one is talking about Saqlain Sajib. This guy is doing wonders at domestic level. It is shocking that he is not a regular for the "A" team. A guy averaging 19.87 in 67 innings, picking up 180 wickets does not deserve to be ignored. Even for the shorter format he is averaging 22 with the ball.

He should be playing for the A team so he can be promoted to international level sometime next year.

Tiger444
October 28, 2012, 07:04 PM
I hope Shuvagata Hom gets to play soon... he is averaging 47 with the bat with 3 centuries and 6 half-centuries. He has been of form but I hope he can make a come back. When i saw him play in the ODIs, i thought he is a better example of an ideal batsman. he is not too aggressive or too defensive but somewhere in the middle. Obviously he needs to work on his consistency and temperament to be on the test side but still he is one of the better options right now.

On the other hand, I am surprised to see no one is talking about Saqlain Sajib. This guy is doing wonders at domestic level. It is shocking that he is not a regular for the "A" team. A guy averaging 19.87 in 67 innings, picking up 180 wickets does not deserve to be ignored. Even for the shorter format he is averaging 22 with the ball.

He should be playing for the A team so he can be promoted to international level sometime next year.

I too was impressed with Hom. 1 thing that stood out to me was how he could sight the ball so early before playing a shot. I feel however that he has work to do as a batsman. Once he gets bogged down a bit, he seems to want to break the shackles by playing a big shot. So temperament is still a big problem with him. That being said, lets not forget that despite the fact that he's 25, he's still really inexperienced. So basically as experienced as a 19/20 yr old since he came on to the scene a bit late for our standards. Plus he didn't have the luxury of being in the BKSP system. So he's overall a real raw batsman still. Without a doubt, he needs more time before he's brought back IMO.

As for Saqlain, he's unfortunate he's an SLA. We already have so many that there isn't much of a demand. He's behind Shakib, Razzak, Sunny, and Enamul right now. His best bet is to make it for Tests but even then it would be difficult for him to make it.

Gowza
October 28, 2012, 07:14 PM
well i think for tests saqlain is probably behind shakib, sunny, enamul and sohag but i'd have saqlain next after those guys. for ODIs and t20s razzak is also in the mix. as far as shuvagata goes i to was impressed with him, i think if he keeps scoring runs he should be in the squads, all players have things to work on but clearly shuvagata has the talent and a lot of skills to succeed at the highest level. i really think hom is a batsman who should be earmarked as a long term prospect for the national team, we put guys like anamul and mominul in that category and i think that's where hom should be to.

rinathq
October 28, 2012, 07:29 PM
If I am not mistaken, Ian Pont mentioned about Saqlain Sajib somewhere at BC.
As for this big group of SLAs I think, all of them needs to be given a chance and the best ones should be kept in the squad. This will lift the performance and effort of the individuals fighting for the slot. In that case, it would be interesting to see them perform for the Franchise based NCL later this year. Its all about spotting the talent. For someone like Saqlain, he is nowhere near the nationals even though he is no less competitive than Sunny, Raj at the moment.

As for Hom, he was Law's man. After Law left, his name kinda disappeared. An in form Shuvagata would be the perfect candidate for no.3 in all format really.

al Furqaan
October 28, 2012, 07:52 PM
Why didn't Hom play in the first round? Is he on one of the squads?

rinathq
October 28, 2012, 08:18 PM

nope... I didnt see his name anywhere

Tiger444
October 28, 2012, 08:25 PM

He's on Dhaka but didn't play last match.

Tiger Manc
October 28, 2012, 08:27 PM
Hom normally plays for Dhaka. I can only assume he was ill or injured because we certainly don't have the luxury to be benching 47+ guys from our teams.

Tiger Manc
October 28, 2012, 08:53 PM
Saqlain Sajib hasn't been given much opportunity because he's behind Razzak, Sunny, Enamul and was/is Shuvo on the pecking order. He has played 5 matches for the A Team in one dayers but did poorly averaging 43. Shuvo and Enamul have both done well in Tests so he hasn't been given the chance. At least SLAs are the one area where we're strong. It's tough now not only to get into the national team but to get into the A team which is a positive. Sajib just needs to keep taking bucket loads of wickets at a healthy average to put the rest under pressure.

BengaliPagol
October 29, 2012, 03:51 AM
I think its dissapointing that a lot of Bangladeshi players suffer from a poor form for a while. We are seeing that with Anamul and also with Shuvagata (who are our 2 promising players). We are also seeing this with Riyad.

rinathq
November 1, 2012, 01:17 AM
http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-v-west-indies-2012/content/current/story/588715.html

Excellent summary... and its easy to guess the squad based on this

Confirmed
1)Tamim
2)Kayes
3)Shahriar
4)Shakib
5)Mushy
6)Riyad
7) Nasir
8)Sunny
9)Rubel

Has a good chance to make the squad,
10) Ashraful
11) Nazimuddin/ Mominul
12) Shafiul
13) Enamul Huq Jnr
14) Nazmul/Rajib

rinathq
November 1, 2012, 01:23 AM
"Mahmudullah, who has batted at every position from four to eight"
http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-v-west-indies-2012/content/current/story/588715.html

Shows the exact reason why this guy is not as successful as he could be in test cricket. The management need to give him a stable batting slot preferably a lower order in order for him to show off his skills

Maysun
November 1, 2012, 01:36 AM
How Ashraful's name has come up for Tests from his T20 performances beats me :-|

Maysun
November 1, 2012, 01:41 AM
So, going by Akram's words, this maybe our XI

Tamim
IK/Nazimuddin
SN
Ashraful/Mominul
Shakib
Mushfiqur
Riyad
Nasir
Sunny
Shahadat
Rubel

rinathq
November 1, 2012, 02:04 AM
I cant understand how the guy who has 1 half century in 32 innings as an opener, averaging 17 has a "possibility" of making the squad. I would rather have Sohel bhais "Nazza" anyday over him

TimAus
November 2, 2012, 02:12 AM
Most people have got Mushfiqur Rahim batting in the top 5. I think due to the fact he is still wicket keeping that is a mistake. He should bat number 7. Rahim's test record isn't amazing, if he was averaging over 40 I'd understand moving him up but he isn't. Nasir and Mahmudullah both average higher in tests and should bat above him at 5 and 6.

My XI would be this
Tamim
Nazimuddin*
Monimul*
Shakib
Mahmudullah
Nasir
Rahim
Ghazi*
Sunny*
Shafiul*
Rubel

I'm not exactly an expert on the ins and outs of Bangla cricket so I've got a star next to the names of guys who could be replaced if I've missed someone (don't get angry that I haven't picked your favourite guy). The others I feel are automatic picks in those positions.

Gowza
November 2, 2012, 02:37 AM
Most people have got Mushfiqur Rahim batting in the top 5. I think due to the fact he is still wicket keeping that is a mistake. He should bat number 7. Rahim's test record isn't amazing, if he was averaging over 40 I'd understand moving him up but he isn't. Nasir and Mahmudullah both average higher in tests and should bat above him at 5 and 6.

My XI would be this
Tamim
Nazimuddin*
Monimul*
Shakib
Mahmudullah
Nasir
Rahim
Ghazi*
Sunny*
Shafiul*
Rubel

I'm not exactly an expert on the ins and outs of Bangla cricket so I've got a star next to the names of guys who could be replaced if I've missed someone (don't get angry that I haven't picked your favourite guy). The others I feel are automatic picks in those positions.

Mushys overall test record isn't great but he had a horrible start, he's averaged 35+ I think for the last few years, granted not many tests were played in that period but he has done well in that time, I reckon #6 is where he should bat.

BANFAN
November 2, 2012, 02:53 AM
Mushys overall test record isn't great but he had a horrible start, he's averaged 35+ I think for the last few years, granted not many tests were played in that period but he has done well in that time, I reckon #6 is where he should bat.

I think he should come in place of Mullah... But he also plays better with tailenders..

reyme
November 2, 2012, 01:05 PM
Tamim
Junaed
Mominul
Naeem
Shakib
Mushy
Nasir
Shahadat
Rubel/Riyad
Sunny
Enam

Nazmul
Shohag
Nafees/Soumya/Anamul
Nazim/Imrul

Equinox
November 2, 2012, 02:27 PM
Tamim
Zunaed
SN
Naeem
Riyad
Shakib
Mushfiq+*
Nasir
Elias
Shahadat
Nazmul

Reserve: Mominul, Shafiul, Farhad Reza

rinathq
November 2, 2012, 02:38 PM
I guess we are seeing the second round of squads... 2 squads posted, both has Junaid and SRK... I wonder why ;)

Gowza
November 3, 2012, 07:51 AM
I guess we are seeing the second round of squads... 2 squads posted, both has Junaid and SRK... I wonder why ;)

yep big score from junaid and he's in the squad now. as for shahadat he did well in the first match and a lot of people see him as our best test pacer so no surprise.

deshimon
November 3, 2012, 08:36 AM
Luckily, Rajib perform timely. So he would be taken in the squad. No other pacer has done extra ordinary performance to be selected. Since we don't have too many options in our pace department, we have to take Rubel. But he showed a poor performance after coming back from surgery.

nahaz
November 3, 2012, 10:24 AM
Here's my XI in order:

1. Tamim Iqbal
2. Shahriar Nafees
3. Junaed Siddique
4. Naeem Islam
5. Mominul Haque*
6. Sakib Al Hasan
7. Mushfiqur Rahim (c, wk)
8. Nasir Hossain
9. Shahadat Hossain
10. Nazmul Hossain
11. Enamul Haque Jnr. #

* Mominul deserves to get a chance. It is a little early; but Riyad won't contribute more than Mominul in batting due to form, and Naeem covers Riyad's bowling. Plus, Mominul is an exciting prospect.
# I feel Enam is a great test bowler. He should be given a long run now, especially since he is in form. Razzak is no good in tests due to lack of variety.
I am willing to pick players on form rather than reputation.

Tiger Manc
November 3, 2012, 10:55 AM
People's squads are going to change again if Anamul cracks a ton tomorrow.

al Furqaan
November 3, 2012, 07:41 PM
My optimistic/future XI

Soumya
Tamim
Anamul
Mominul
Asif Ahmed
Shakib
Mushfiq
Nasir
Sunny/Enamul
Rubel/Shahadat
Taskin

My current/likely XI

Tamim
Nazim
Anamul
Mominul
Shakib
Mushfiq
Nasir
Sunny
Nazmul
Shahadat
Enamul

Rifat
November 3, 2012, 08:02 PM
My Preferred XV:
my XI + Lineup for the first test:

1. Tamim
2. Nazimuddin
3. Naeem Islam
4. Shakib al Hasan
5. Mahmudullah Riyad
6. Mushfiqur Rahim(wk)
7. Nasir Hossain
8. Elias Sunny
9. Enamul Haque jr.
10. Nazmul Hossain
11. Rubel Hossain(if injured then Shafiul Islam)

Sidelines: Mominul Haque, Shohag Gazi, Anamul Haque, Junaed Siddique

rinathq
November 3, 2012, 08:53 PM
My Preferred XV:
my XI + Lineup for the first test:

1. Tamim
2. Nazimuddin
3. Naeem Islam
4. Shakib al Hasan
5. Mahmudullah Riyad
6. Mushfiqur Rahim(wk)
7. Nasir Hossain
8. Elias Sunny
9. Enamul Haque jr.
10. Nazmul Hossain
11. Rubel Hossain(if injured then Shafiul Islam)

Sidelines: Mominul Haque, Shohag Gazi, Anamul Haque, Junaed Siddique

this is probably what the squad should look like. But chances of Nazim making the squad seems slim at the moment.

al Furqaan
November 3, 2012, 10:09 PM
Rubel? A guy who can't take wickets in the NCL and goes for 5 an over? I highly doubt he's fit enough. Rubel should come in if Shahadat reverts back to Sharapova Khan, but otherwise I'd even probably take Shafiul ahead of him.

reyme
November 3, 2012, 10:22 PM
I want to see both enam and sunny...i believe that's the way we can get 20 wickets...no point playing 3 or even 2 pacers...they won't last more than 8 overs each

reyme
November 3, 2012, 10:25 PM
Agree with Al furqaan...Rubel is not ready...can we just play with Shahadat? I even think razzak will be more effective than any second pacer...

rinathq
November 3, 2012, 10:48 PM
Right now... i think its time for another pacer debut... cant be worse. For us, the seamers are waste of space anyways... so why not keep experimenting until we get someone who is not the "biggest waste of space?"

These days, the pacers are there to bowl first 10 overs and to bowl when the new ball is taken.. Other than that the occasional 2-3 over spells are useless. Rubel bowled some occasional reverse swings but i doubt its gonna come back anytime soon.

So the point is, if we need a pacer to bowl only couple of overs here and there... its more of a task for occasional bowlers. Even Ash gets a wicket here and there... so no big deal

If I had a say in the selection, I would pick someone like Alauddin Babu at this point for home series. He can bowl decent line and length and he should be good enough for the new ball... If he can keep things tight, his mission is accomplished. On the other hand, he can add to our batting lineup and give us some extra runs.. all in all doesnt sound like a bad idea to me.

Gowza
November 4, 2012, 06:31 AM
Babu use maybe even SS could be played...babu probably a better option for the bowling side of things.

BANFAN
November 4, 2012, 09:38 PM
Worried with:

Batting Form of: Nasir, Mullah, Mushy ... Amongst the confirmed lot.
Bowling: Rubel/Shafiul ... Amongst the confirmed lot

Guys Must be in and are most likely to do well: Tamim, Shakib, Nayeem, Sunny, Enamul, Shahadat

Players May be considered: Shohag, Ayub, Junaid, Nazimuddin

Wild Card: Mix of Experience (if needed): Ash / Experiment (if Desired): Mominul / SS

zahidnyc
November 4, 2012, 10:24 PM
bangladesh inshallah will win the test if this squad is choosen

1# tamim iqbal
2# junaeed siddiqe
3# imrull kayes
4# mohammad ashraful
5# mahmuduallah riad - the best test batsman bangladesh have right now
6# sakib al hasan - will be the key
7# mushfiqur rahim
8# nasir hossain
9# shaddat hossain
10# enamul haque junior
11# rubel hossain

22Yards
November 4, 2012, 11:23 PM

based on WHAT exactly ?

rinathq
November 4, 2012, 11:24 PM
bangladesh inshallah will win the test if this squad is choosen

1# tamim iqbal
2# junaeed siddiqe
3# imrull kayes
4# mohammad ashraful
6# sakib al hasan - will be the key
7# mushfiqur rahim
8# nasir hossain
9# shaddat hossain
10# enamul haque junior
11# rubel hossain

Best Test batsman is Tamim right now. Riyad was second best in 2010... but right now he is not anywhere closer.

Zeeshan
November 5, 2012, 12:50 AM
"Best batsman in Bangladesh" can be roughly translated as "Tallest Brobdingnagian at Lilliput."

Gowza
November 5, 2012, 03:26 AM
Worried with:

Guys Must be in and are most likely to do well: Tamim, Shakib, Nayeem, Sunny, Enamul, Shahadat

Wild Card: Mix of Experience (if needed): Ash / Experiment (if Desired): Mominul / SS

i don't think ayub should be considered yet....nasir i'm not so worried about as he has a couple of good scores recently in NCL and he's always performed much better internationally than domestically...riyad is a worry and so is mushy.

al Furqaan
November 5, 2012, 04:01 AM
Worried with:

I don't worry about Mushy, he bats low enough in Tests to not affect outcomes much. Besides, I'm sure in the real matches he'll have at least a couple decent scores. Nasir has been scoring in NCL.

Gowza
November 6, 2012, 01:14 AM
I don't worry about Mushy, he bats low enough in Tests to not affect outcomes much. Besides, I'm sure in the real matches he'll have at least a couple decent scores. Nasir has been scoring in NCL.

true about mushy, i guess his batting performance leading up to a test match doesn't matter so much with him batting at #7 but if he's to bat top 6 then it becomes an issue because someone batting in the top 6 has a big batting role and is being relied upon as one of the players who is expected to score. also he did have that on field collision so it probably would have had an impact on the innings he did bat in round 1 of NCL. the tough thing with mushy is he hasn't done so well lately with the bat in internationals, but he completely dominated the DPL. it's a matter of form really, he's capable which can't be said of a lot of BD batsmen and since he is keeper batting at #7 being capable is good enough atm to keep him in the team.

rinathq
November 6, 2012, 01:56 AM

Mushy is still a middle order batsman not lower order. He usually bats after Shakib and as a captain it does matter how he performs.

Gowza
November 6, 2012, 02:29 AM
Mushy is still a middle order batsman not lower order. He usually bats after Shakib and as a captain it does matter how he performs.

also true, as a captain he needs to be performing, though as long as he performs in the tests, ODIs and t20Is it doesn't matter as much if he doesn't perform in domestics, of course he sets the example so performing in domestics is something he should be doing, same as anyone else in the team really.

shakibrulz
November 6, 2012, 02:40 AM
1. Tamim
2. <strike> Nazimuddin</strike> Anamul
3. Mahmudullah
4. Mushfiqur* +
5. Shakib
6. Naeem
7. Nasir
8. Sunny
9. Enamul Haque
10. Rubel
11. Nazmul
12. Nafees
13. Gazi
14. Mominul

Anamul in for Nazim. No other changes needed IMO.

rinathq
November 6, 2012, 03:06 AM
also true, as a captain he needs to be performing, though as long as he performs in the tests, ODIs and t20Is it doesn't matter as much if he doesn't perform in domestics, of course he sets the example so performing in domestics is something he should be doing, same as anyone else in the team really.

The thing is, Mushy is not one of those that does not perform in the domestics but does well for internationals. Remember DPL?
Right now he is off form and its something to be really worried about. We can afford his of form batting but not keeping... not in test cricket.

Gowza
November 6, 2012, 03:19 AM
The thing is, Mushy is not one of those that does not perform in the domestics but does well for internationals. Remember DPL?
Right now he is off form and its something to be really worried about. We can afford his of form batting but not keeping... not in test cricket.

which is why i've been a strong advocate for him dropping the gloves and focusing on batting and allowing dhiman to be the keeper in tests. dhiman is a quality keeper and a good enough bat for the #7 spot. mushy is a good enough top 6 bat as along as he is consistent which he has been in those few and far between tests but his consistency can be helped by not having to worry about keeping. mushy has it in him, perhaps more than any other BD batsman to be a quality batsman across all forms, not having to worry about keeping can only improve his batting and consistency imo.

al Furqaan
November 6, 2012, 03:43 AM
Anamul in for Nazim. No other changes needed IMO.

You didn't have him in initially and then he leapfrogs Mominul? :o

At any rate, I'm a firm believer in debuting young talents and letting them learn and develop on the job. We did the right thing with Ash when he was 16/17 and if the 2001 Ash was here, I'd play him, although his career would have ended after just a year instead of dragging on for 10+.

However, I don't believe in "foward-batting" debutants. I'm subcribe to theory of slotting in a debutant, esp a teenage one like Anamul one or two places below his natural position and then gradually easing him up as the situation and more importantly his individual batting progression demands. Examples are Tendulkar debuting as a #6 or 7 although I'm sure that even at 16 he was a natural #4. Even now, I'll bet Rahane who is a #3 will debut at no higher than 6 (SRT, Kohli have locked 4 and 5) and Pujara has 3 by virtue of seniority. In future, Rahane might claim the #3 but he might just make #6 his own till SRT retires and then Kohli moves to 4 and Rahane moves up to 5.

Anamul is a natural #3. We have a huge hole there, and while I prefer Anamul bats no higher than 5 on debut, our limitations will most likely mean Anamul will be the first drop, if selected. I can live with that. But I can't accept him opening just because Kayes and Nazimuddin suck balls, because I think Anamul will be a failure if he opens.

I don't think Riyad warrants a spot in the XI at all. Anything he can do, Naeem can do and probably do it better. But I'm not sure Naeem has room in the XI either.

Tiger Manc
November 6, 2012, 04:03 AM
^^ Echo my sentiments too. I think Anamul will fail as an opener. We've seen that with someone like Junaid his average increases significantly when he comes in at #3 as compared to when he plays as an opener. Anamul plays majority of his matches at #3 and he himself said he prefers #3. I would love to see him come in at #4 when he makes his debut, so that he's eased into the team.

Nadim
November 6, 2012, 05:07 AM
Got a feeling selector will go with a safe option at the top in the first test;TIK, NU, JS, Nayeem will be at top 4.

but 2 of them gonna fail badly for sure so will see Anamul or Mominul in the 2nd test.

Something tells me, Tasking might end up getting his test cap...

Maysun
November 6, 2012, 05:49 AM
Everyone has a different XI. Can't wait for the first match!

SS
November 6, 2012, 03:08 PM
I doubt they will debut Ghazi also Naeem might get in and also Mahmudullah...I still don't see how both will make a difference to our team middle order batting...also picking from Enamul and Sunny will be tough...Shakib probably automatic choice though his form is concerning but he delivers when frequent Eids...Tamim, Musfiq, Rubel can't be replaced also...Can Selectors take bold step this time as no matter what the result won't vary that much and WI team is very strong and well prepared...interesting to see spinners/spin allrounders creating pressure...on the other hand our middle order is so fragile that we can't afford to exclude one batsmen to make room for one specialist spinner...unfortunately this does not exist in Pace or top order batting department. Practice match could have solved this puzzle..what a bad timing to have bad weather...now they won't make any changes and keep the last squad with dead woods who are getting free tickets

reyme
November 6, 2012, 05:32 PM
[quote=nadim 98;1597050]Got a feeling selector will go with a safe option at the top in the first test;TIK, NU, JS, Nayeem will be at top 4.

but 2 of them gonna fail badly for sure so will see Anamul or Mominul in the 2nd test.
quote]

Why we make critical mistakes with critical things?

1. Play out of form deadwoods just cuz they scored a half century 1 year ago
2. Choosing to field when we should be batting instead, and get dead tired by the time we need to bat from 5 sessions worth of fielding
3. Allowing biased/partial umpires and never complain to ICC against them

reyme
November 6, 2012, 05:38 PM
This is my XV:
Tamim, Zunaid
Anamul, Mominul
Nayeem, Shakib
Mushy, Nasir
Shahadat
Enam, Sunny

Rubel, Nafees, Shohag, Shafiul/Nazim