PDA

View Full Version : Which Cricketers have you met with?

BengaliPagol
November 9, 2012, 09:35 PM
Since alot of people use BC i think alot of you guys have met with several international cricketers over your lifetime. Im not sure if there is a similar thread to this but ill share my experiences with cricketers that i have met.

Ive met with the whole NSW team when they won the Big Bash comp in 09. They did a lap around the field and i saw able to briefly talk to them. Brendon McCullum, Katich, Steve Smith, Ben Rohrer, Daniel Smith, Bollinger, Phillip Hughes etc. were all in the team at that time. All of them came across as approachable but Bollinger was ignorant towards his fans which i disliked.

I also met with the whole Aussie commentary team. (Slats, Heals, Mark Nicholas, Tony Grieg, Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry). They all seemed nice. I also saw McGrath a couple of metres away from him at the SCG but didnt get a chance to speak with him.

So which cricketers have you met with?

Zeeshan
November 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
None, good thread nonetheless.

riankhan
November 19, 2012, 11:51 PM
I interviewed Atahar Ali Khan once (at around 2001, as a grad student), my only and lone experience :(

Maysun
November 20, 2012, 01:10 AM
Well the only player that I had a conversation with, was Tamim, during the CWC 2011 opener against India.

Players that I saw from a few feet and probably acknowledged me: Akram Khan, Shakib, Kohli(in a bar), Sehwag(on the street), RCB team with Gayle(!), Gilchrist, Faulkner, Srinath, Prasad, Kambli, Dhoni, Sunil Gavaskar, Piyush Chawla, Lee.

BengaliPagol
November 20, 2012, 03:20 AM
Well the only player that I had a conversation with, was Tamim, during the CWC 2011 opener against India.

Players that I saw from a few feet and probably acknowledged me: Akram Khan, Shakib, Kohli(in a bar), Sehwag(on the street), RCB team with Gayle(!), Gilchrist, Faulkner, Srinath, Prasad, Kambli, Dhoni, Sunil Gavaskar, Piyush Chawla, Lee.

Wow good stuff! Did you talk to Tamim in the dressing rooms or something?

Dilscoop
November 20, 2012, 03:23 AM
Damn Maysun. I feel bad for you. Being a GM of LA all the players must be always bothering you with that stuff, trying to get a job and all. Life's tough.

Shehwar
November 20, 2012, 03:25 AM
I met Javed Omar right after the Independence Cup I think around '97 in Nawab Bari (Old Dhaka) in my Dadabari!

Met Ashraful this year during The Olympics in St. John's Wood (London).

Also Pat Symcox in Earl's Court (London) in '05 the day after we beat The Aussies!

Met Shoaib Malik last year in Wimbledon. (London)

mufi_02
November 20, 2012, 10:08 AM
Wavell Hinds and Sunil Joshi :facepalm:

Many won't know who these D grade cricketers are. But they came to play an exhibition match in a baseball stadium and I just went there. Also met Shanto in a wedding at Dhaka many years back.

MyRoom
November 20, 2012, 11:03 AM
I've met both Shakib and Tamim when they came over in England playing County Cricket. They're really cool and friendly.

AsifTheManRahman
November 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
Aminul Islam Bulbul ke ami kokhono khoma korbo na. My brother and I walked up to him to get his autograph out in the city one day and asked him to make sure we beat Kenya and make it to the finals in the upcoming ODI tri-series.

"Hae Kenya kono bepar na, howe jabe". Hoise? Hoy nai. Zimbabwe/Kenya final khello, aar amader playerra stadium er baire kharay danguli practice korlo.

Gowza
November 20, 2012, 12:49 PM
honestly my memory isn't that great but from whom i can remember having conversations with that would be mark taylor (when i was a kid) and allan davidson.

Maysun
November 20, 2012, 12:56 PM
Damn Maysun. I feel bad for you. Being a GM of LA all the players must be always bothering you with that stuff, trying to get a job and all. Life's tough.

Well I attend the best parties with them. So its cool ;)

Zeeshan
November 20, 2012, 12:58 PM
Does Ash smiling at camera count? Does Nazza sighting on postage stamp count? Nay O Hornby! O Barlow long ago? chuckle chuckle

Maysun
November 20, 2012, 12:59 PM
Wow good stuff! Did you talk to Tamim in the dressing rooms or something?

Hung out after the post match presentation and he was roaming around the boundary line talking to the media.

There was only a handful of us and we called out to him. He came towards us and we just chatted for a minute or two.

cricheart
November 20, 2012, 01:11 PM
Played with Khaled Mahmood Sujon bhi at [/URL]Shiddeswari Boys School[URL="https://maps.google.com/local_url?dq=Shiddeswari+Boys+School&q=https://plus.google.com/109086087670988127545/about%3Fhl%3Den&s=ANYYN7mBVd5weHNG4OWemB77O4-Uj7kD4w&dtab=2"] (https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=&q=dhaka+map&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x3755b8b087026b81:0x8fa563bbdd5904c2,Dhaka, +Bangladesh&ei=n8SrUNnsJJGGrAf56YDoDg&ved=0CDMQ8gEwAA#) ground in a tape tennis tornament.
Durjoy my neighbour, have meet him several times.
Had my BD jersey autographed from Rafique, where I got chance meet him personally at my friend's house where he was invited.
Had meet Atahaar Ali Khan at Kalabagaan Sporting ground few times as I used to guide my younger bro there for coaching.
Short meet with Wasim Akram & Ravi Sastri in a public place in Adelaide.

BengaliPagol
November 22, 2012, 05:18 AM
My uncle met the World XI team (which consisted of Pieterson, Lara, Dravid, Sehwag and others) in Australia when they played in that ICC Super Series in 2005.

Sohel
November 26, 2012, 10:37 PM
I've met pretty much everyone who has toured Bangladesh since 2001. Found Ramnaresh Sarwan to be the coolest, most unassuming player. Found Brad Hodge to be a total douche.

Isnaad
November 27, 2012, 12:34 AM
Shakib Al Hasan is my neighbour and I'm yet to see him because of his busy schedule.

Zeeshan
November 27, 2012, 12:36 AM
Shakib Al Hasan is my neighbour and I'm yet to see him because of my busy schedule.

*fixed, wittier ;)

BengaliPagol
November 27, 2012, 04:11 AM
I have heard a lot abt Brad Hodge and his behaviour. He didnt get along with the rest of the Australian team. He is full of himself apparently. And in a recent interview he was asked if he is scared of facing the Melbourne Renagades (his old BBL team), he responded "im sure that they are scared of me". And im adamant that his behaviour has played a contributing factor to not being picked for the Aussie team.

Isnaad
November 27, 2012, 06:48 AM
*fixed, wittier ;)

Indeed, although that, too, is a factor no matter how negligible it may be.

Razi
November 27, 2012, 10:37 AM
Met the whole Bangladesh team in the dressing room after a match against Sri Lanka in the Idea Cup 2010 Tri Series involving India. Also played informal cricket with Shahriar Nafees and Alok Kapali long time back. SN is the elder brother of my friend Iktedar Nazeef Ahmed, who is also a cricketer and captained Bangladesh U-15 in 2008. Alok and I are both from Sylhet and he is very close to an uncle of mine. Besides those, had the pleasure to talk with Shak a couple of times over phone.

Sohel
November 27, 2012, 09:08 PM
^How's Iktedar's cricket nowadays? His brother Iftekhar doesn't seem to be doing anything extraordinary for Barisal in the NCL.

BengaliPagol
November 28, 2012, 02:17 AM
Alot of people are well connected with Dave Warner in Sydney. He hangs around his area alot and ive heard alot of accounts of other friends seeing him mucking around in cricket nets in random parks and in other places in Sydney. He is a real outgoing person.

mufi_02
November 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
Met the whole Bangladesh team in the dressing room after a match against Sri Lanka in the Idea Cup 2010 Tri Series involving India. Also played informal cricket with Shahriar Nafees and Alok Kapali long time back. SN is the elder brother of my friend Iktedar Nazeef Ahmed, who is also a cricketer and captained Bangladesh U-15 in 2008. Alok and I are both from Sylhet and he is very close to an uncle of mine. Besides those, had the pleasure to talk with Shak a couple of times over phone.

Phone number pailen kemne ar phone deyar por Shak kothao bollo? Maybe you guys had some introduction earlier on.

Razi
November 28, 2012, 12:19 PM
^How's Iktedar's cricket nowadays? His brother Iftekhar doesn't seem to be doing anything extraordinary for Barisal in the NCL.

Iktedar was a very promising player back in age group cricket, used to be a solid bat and a good leg-spinner, ended up being the highest wicket taker in an international U-15 tournament in WI comprising of 8 teams including WI and Pakistan. But due to academic commitments he couldn't give much time to cricket later on and got out of the radar unlike his other two brothers. And yeah you are right about Iftekhar, he couldn't do something outstanding despite playing first-class cricket for quite sometime now.

Razi
November 28, 2012, 12:21 PM
Phone number pailen kemne ar phone deyar por Shak kothao bollo? Maybe you guys had some introduction earlier on.

No I didn't call him, I got to talk with him via a friend. He is a very good friend to one of my friends and she let me talk with him over phone.

AsifTheManRahman
November 28, 2012, 12:47 PM
Razi, let me ask you then, why are the two older Ahmed brothers such losers with the bat? At least Nafees has a Test century against Australia, but Iftekhar can't score against NCL bowlers if his life depended on it.

What's Nazeef up to these days? Still playing cricket?

Razi
November 28, 2012, 03:50 PM
^^ LOL, no idea bro, may be cricket is not their thing.

Iktedar is studying in Dhaka University now and as I said earlier he lost the plot due to studies and it is unlikely he'll get back to competitive cricket again.

oronnya
November 28, 2012, 07:05 PM
SHakib :D

BengaliPagol
February 1, 2013, 06:34 PM
I heard of a person who went to Las Vegas with Warner.

salman2510
February 20, 2013, 09:00 PM
I met
Brain Lara in London
Shahid Afridi in Dhaka
Sachin Tendulkar in Dhaka
Andew Flintoff in Manchester
Kamran Akmal in dhaka
Brad Hogg in Dhaka
Nayeen Islam in Dhaka

that is about it I guess

firstlane
March 28, 2013, 11:29 PM
I had a stall in Sydney Baishakhi Mela 2004. Aminul Islam Bulbul came to my stall and I took a photo with him.

I met Durjoy on a flight from Bangkok to Melbourne. BD u-19 team was taking part in U-19 WC at that time. We talked about it.

In 2008 during South Africa's visit to Australia I had the opportunity to enter the dressing room of Aus team at SCG. unfortunately no one was there at that time as all the players were in the field but I met John Howard on the way back.

BengaliPagol
July 1, 2013, 07:19 PM
Missed my opportunity to meet Shakib in Sydney. Dammit !

Is Nazmul Hossain still in Sydney?

tiger_army
July 1, 2013, 11:20 PM

same here...and i still regret that.. :(

Manjarul islam Manju was my cousins best friend from Jahangirnagar uni and he used to visit our place a lot before he played for the national team.. later on he got busy with his cricket and i dont have any contact with him anymore..

one of my mate used to drive cab and one day he picked an aussie guy from the Syd domestic airport. After they reached to the destination he asked for the fare and then realize it was Mcgrath. he was shocked for few second and end up having a mobile pic together..

BD_TigerZ
July 2, 2013, 12:44 AM

Same he came to hut bazaar and was around for like the whole day at rockdale my uncle told me..:sigh: I was a street away from Shakib..does that count..:sigh:

BengaliPagol
July 2, 2013, 02:42 AM
one of my mate used to drive cab and one day he picked an aussie guy from the Syd domestic airport. After they reached to the destination he asked for the fare and then realize it was Mcgrath. he was shocked for few second and end up having a mobile pic together..

What a eerily similar story. My mate also drives cab picked up 3 people from a hotel in Sydney a long time ago at around 8pm. The 3 people wanted to go to the movies. During the ride he looked behind at them and realised that it was Graeme Smith, AB De Villiers and Mark Boucher. This was when South Africa toured Australia.

Their test match was the next day... ahaha.

BengaliPagol
July 2, 2013, 02:44 AM
Same he came to hut bazaar and was around for like the whole day at rockdale my uncle told me..:sigh: I was a street away from Shakib..does that count..:sigh:

How devastating !

Isnaad
July 2, 2013, 05:58 AM
Met Sean Ervine (2013)
Habibul Bashar (2012 & 2013)
Khaled Mashud (2013)
Watched a BPL match this year alongside Duronto Rajshahi team.

rubel_18
July 2, 2013, 07:09 AM
Well I have met Ashraful twice
I have also met Shakib, Shahadatapova, and Tamim all on the same day after the Lords Test Match against England at their Hotel. Tamim just seemed so miserable compared to the others and less reluctant to take a photo lol

Puck
July 2, 2013, 11:08 AM
I am going back so many years.. I think the Indian team captained by Azharudin toured England in 1990. They were invited to dinner at the Indian Asst. High Commissiner's. We went as well and I remember sitting, albeit for a short while, on a sofa next to a very young Tendulkar while having sweets. When Kiran More, the team wicketkeeper came in I gave up my seat and he gave me such a beaming smile! In this test match Kapil Dev scored four successive sixes off the bowling of Nottinghamshire spinner Eddie Hemmings.

BengaliPagol
July 2, 2013, 05:27 PM
Watched a BPL match this year alongside Duronto Rajshahi team.

Haire bhai Shakib doesn't play for Duronto. Tumi tho Shakib e bhondu tik na? O tho Dhaka jonno kelto.

BengaliPagol
July 2, 2013, 05:35 PM
Ohh i almost forgot. Once the Bangladesh A team toured Australia and versued Australia A at the Donald Bradman Oval. It was about 8 years ago. Habibul Bashar and Abdur Razzak were all playing in that team and I talked to the players and took pictures. The field they played at was pretty much a park oval so you could pretty much mingle with any of the players anytime. It was nice meeting with the team.

Btw Bangladesh A got thrashed as per usual. The Australia A team were pretty strong as it consisted the likes of Mitchell Johnson and Stuart Clark.

rahman94
November 11, 2013, 02:17 PM
I was lucky enough to meet the whole squad of Bangladeshi cricket team in New Zealand 2007–08. The Bengali community of Auckland organized a get together. It was superb.
Other than that I met Daniel Vettori in Auckland.

kazis2007
June 3, 2014, 03:21 PM
i have met with Habibur Bashar sumon in 1999. he came to gave us some advice before our inter school cricket match at kushtia. i was lucky enough to bowl against him during the net session. later on he gave me his authograph. my sister and his son also studying in the same school, so i had an opportunity to speak to him several time.during the year of 2010, i have met with Hannan Sarkar at London Victoria park before a cricket match. I was so lucky to open with him during that match

BengaliPagol
June 3, 2014, 04:09 PM
i have met with Habibur Bashar sumon in 1999. he came to gave us some advice before our inter school cricket match at kushtia. i was lucky enough to bowl against him during the net session. later on he gave me his authograph. my sister and his son also studying in the same school, so i had an opportunity to speak to him several time.during the year of 2010, i have met with Hannan Sarkar at London Victoria park before a cricket match. I was so lucky to open with him during that match

Kushtia huh? Do you know Imrul Kayes by any chance?

How is Hannan Sarkar doing nowadays? Does he live in London now or something?

Tigers_eye
June 3, 2014, 04:10 PM
As on sat down and had a talk?

Bangladesh's heart throb: Feza.

Also had a good conversation with Umar Gul at Dubai Airport for 15 minutes. Just him and me.

kazis2007
June 3, 2014, 04:35 PM
Kushtia huh? Do you know Imrul Kayes by any chance?

How is Hannan Sarkar doing nowadays? Does he live in London now or something?

no idea bhai. i have left bd 2006 and also don't know about HS cz i am not playing cricket anymore.
sorry

Vahroone
June 4, 2014, 12:54 AM
None, but I saw this guy outside the Chennai stadium before a test against the Aussies last year:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-9/538231_10151777232199128_820887133_n.jpg