PDA

View Full Version : Does the Bangladesh cricket team deserve its Test status?

DMan
November 11, 2012, 10:08 PM
When Bangladesh made their Test match debut 12 years ago to the day, the cricketing world was much different to the one we know today.

It was also a bright new dawn for cricket in Bangladesh - the nation of 160 million people finally getting their chance to sit at cricket's top table.

When Aminul Islam cracked 145 to lay the foundations for cricket's newest country to score 400 all out in their maiden Test innings against India, the International Cricket Council's decision to elevate Bangladesh appeared wise.
Bangladesh's Test record
v Australia: P4 L4
v England: P8 L8
v India: P7 L6 D1
v New Zealand: P9 L8 D1
v Pakistan: P8 L8
v South Africa: P8 L8
v Sri Lanka: P12, L12
v West Indies: P8 L4 W2 D2
v Zimbabwe: P9 L5 W1 D3
Key: P = played, L = lost, D = drawn, W = won.

Unfortunately, it has not gone to plan since. The Tigers have lost 63 of their 73 Tests since admission, with their three wins coming against Zimbabwe at home and against a West Indies side without their best players because of a strike.

Those are depressing statistics, so what can be done to improve their international standing?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/20116974

Zeeshan
November 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
Short answer is 'No' but what or who really decides what BD deserve? The argument of this (and like ones) always tend to be the that team in question hasn't won match. But to look at it that way is to boil down the game in very myopic view.

The fact BD can surprise anyone, pitting the lowest ranked with higher ones is what makes the game interesting.

But nice try Dman. Nice try.

cricbook
November 11, 2012, 10:29 PM
If you would ask me before tamim, sakib came in the team......answer would be noooooo....but now absoluty yessssss. Mark my word... u will see the difference in this series....go bd go...:flag:

godzilla
November 11, 2012, 10:52 PM
answer is a big NO but ICC is hungry for money and Bangladesh is a cricket mad nation. You do the math ...

oronnya
November 11, 2012, 10:54 PM
What a question :) Try something different buddy ;)

habfreak
November 11, 2012, 11:02 PM
Does a question like this deserve to be asked when we play test matches every 11 months? If the wolves inside the Indian/British/Australian media can find nothing else to whine about...take away our test status ICC, you have killed test cricket anyways with T20 and the cheerleaders.

al Furqaan
November 11, 2012, 11:04 PM
Man, if Bangladesh played for real we'd kick everyone so bad they'd go home and cry to their WAGS and beg for the strap-on.

Its obvious to anyone who knows anything about cricket that Bangladeshis just mess around. We're too good to play with the likes of the Test nations seriously. We need a real challenge!

Sohel
November 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
As a Bangladeshi: Hell yeah! The passion, the untapped talent, the potential market etc.

As a cricket fan: Not yet. Endemic ignorance, corruption, nepotism etc from key decision makers stagnating and sabotaging where Bangladesh ought to be.

WorldCup11
November 11, 2012, 11:10 PM
Does the Bangladesh cricket team deserve its Test status?

Do you deserve to wear underwear?

sorry if it sounds odd, but I feel similar at your/BBC's question.

Haradhon
November 11, 2012, 11:10 PM
What is the objective of this thread? You raised the issue of striping BD off the test status only when BD started to show someone improvement.The top test nations routinely decline to play with BD and continue to reschedule or defer the tours. So BD's inclusion did not hinder the top 8 countries.

Maysun
November 12, 2012, 01:17 AM
As a Bangladeshi: Hell yeah! The passion, the untapped talent, the potential market etc.

As a cricket fan: Not yet. Endemic ignorance, corruption, nepotism etc from key decision makers stagnating and sabotaging where Bangladesh ought to be.

This!!!

Imteaz
November 12, 2012, 01:51 AM
:waiting:

:-|

E-)

iDumb
November 12, 2012, 02:04 AM
DMan, you are a guest here. Stop being a troll. People are being too nice to you. Maybe because you are West Indian; Bangladeshis like you; so keep it that way. There are plenty of other topics you can discuss. Game is less than a day away, focus on that.

Question like that raised by an annoying Indian or Pakistani would result in instant ban.

Just for your info: Bangladesh won a test series against West Indies in WI. Not many countries have achieved that.

iDumb
November 12, 2012, 02:05 AM
sorry it was a bbc link, i didn't realize it. My apologies. F* BBC.

shakibrulz
November 12, 2012, 02:51 AM
Question like that raised by an annoying Indian or Pakistani would result in instant ban.
I do find the question boring and discussed to death - but seriously? An instant ban? Out of curiosity, are you a moderator?

Just for your info: Bangladesh won a test series against West Indies in WI. Not many countries have achieved that.
Against a second string side - context bro.

BengaliPagol
November 12, 2012, 03:25 AM
The more chocolate i eat, the fatter i will get.

The more matches BD play, the better they will get.

Shaun petr
November 12, 2012, 03:28 AM
Do you deserve to wear underwear?

sorry if it sounds odd, but I feel similar at your/BBC's question.

:up::floor::floor::floor::floor:

shakibrulz
November 12, 2012, 04:06 AM
At OP - fairly arbitrary IMO - you have to take into account the potential income, popularity of the sport, along with the performance aspect. This team has two world class players along with a bunch of decent ones. And they've had their moments too. Hopefully it's going to get better with players like Anamul, Mominul and even possibly Asif and Shoummo coming up.

iDumb
November 12, 2012, 06:43 AM
I do find the question boring and discussed to death - but seriously? An instant ban? Out of curiosity, are you a moderator?

Against a second string side - context bro.

context? Man people just want to downplay Bangladeshi wins thats all. None of these articles mention the cheats shoiab aktar was when tampering the ball while about to lose to us, or the cheater weaket keeper latif or whatever his name is taking balls from the ground to appeal for out which was given or the other cheater in Multan try9ing to steal runs when 1 wicket away from defeat. people count that as a loss for bd when writing crap articles like that. But we know exactly what happened.

Regarding west indies, it was then their best 11 that fielding. There is no such a thing as second string team. WI A would be a second string team. They represented West indies in that series. If Shakib and Tamim says, we quit and Bangladesh goes and loses all the games, no body is gonna accept an excuse, it's a second string bd team you defeated, so it doesn't count.

So stop believing all the bullcrap people write or say. bangladesh whitewashed a series in West Indies home ground that most countries have failed in their cricket history. That is a great achievement.....and people need to acknowledge that. If you gonna put your OPINIon (Asterick) next to that series, then I wans asterics next to Pakistani win against us, because they took that series away from us by cheating. Let's be fair.

And Let's respect Bangladesh team. Cricket is so much more colorful because of us.. it's a dying game.

iDumb
November 12, 2012, 06:46 AM

no I am not a moderator, and everyone should be thankful for that. That was my opinion it should be an instant ban because 99% of the time, it would be troll trying to rile up ppl. You don't go to a poor man's house and mock how his house looks, you are a guest there and it's his house. period!:flag::flag:

deshimon
November 12, 2012, 06:47 AM
You can't give the answer at once. You should calculate many things to make a answer. Their past performance, present situation, future, their crowd, passion to the game. If you think everything, the answer will come 'yes'.

BANFAN
November 12, 2012, 07:06 AM
no I am not a moderator, and everyone should be thankful for that. That was my opinion it should be an instant ban because 99% of the time, it would be troll trying to rile up ppl. You don't go to a poor man's house and mock how his house looks, you are a guest there and it's his house. period!:flag::flag:

If he is a member here, he enjoys equal right of a member in the forum, irrespective of his nationality, it's his home as much as yours. If he breaks any rule, I think there is a capable team of Mods to take care of that.

it's not your business as a member to talk about banning people right and left in public. You can only report if you don't like something. It seems that you are undermining the sense of judgement of the people responsible for doing it. indecent to say the least.
-----
On Topic: this question is being raised by many around the cricketing world and its there even in the minds of ardent BD cricket fans as well. We need to have an answer through our performance instead of arguments.

IMO, we have made reasonable progress in 12 years and the graph is upwards, probably we could have had a faster progress. If the OP could fix up the expected progress in 12 years, that could keep the discussions more objective, you can't expect BD to start beating the established test nations playing test cricket for 100 years or more, in just 12 years.

BlindSupporterofBD
November 12, 2012, 07:39 AM
something really surprise me, why every one is after BD's test status? why not Zimbabwe? I believe they still have the test status and they are behind us. No body even questioned about west indies test status when the were white washed by BD in their home. Current BD test team is as good as New zeland . New zeland were lucky that they didn't play test with us in their last tour. Lets compare BD with west indies after this series is over....

BANFAN
November 12, 2012, 07:47 AM
something really surprise me, why every one is after BD's test status? why not Zimbabwe? I believe they still have the test status and they are behind us. No body even questioned about west indies test status when the were white washed by BD in their home. Current BD test team is as good as New zeland . New zeland were lucky that they didn't play test with us in their last tour. Lets compare BD with west indies after this series is over....

Hope we can do that...that will be a good situation to be in. Eagerly waiting to see a fatafati performance from TI and Nazim tomorrow, if batting first....:)

People don't talk about Zim, because they were competitive once, so they can probably do it again, they took a self exile when they fell bellow us, And they have proven that they have improved and are better than us by beating us in their comeback test...:)

BlindSupporterofBD
November 12, 2012, 08:21 AM
[
People don't talk about Zim, because they were competitive once, so they can probably do it again, they took a self exile when they fell bellow us, And they have proven that they have improved and are better than us by beating us in their comeback test...:)[/quote]

Yes they (zim) have beaten us last time,, but it doesn't mean they are better than us, They are 10th and we are 9th in ranking . Last match we have played with Ind, SL, NZ & WI (in ODI) we have beaten all of them. Does it mean we are better than them in ODI?:)

Rubu
November 12, 2012, 08:23 AM
Yes.

Next question?

Roni_uk
November 12, 2012, 08:31 AM
^^

Does Bangladesh deserve to play T20? :-P

Roni_uk
November 12, 2012, 08:33 AM
^^

I was being sarcastic ;)...

thanks to BBC for doing an anti jinx campaign for us here. We will win the first Test and shut them up.

WorldCup11
November 12, 2012, 08:42 AM
Yes.

Next question?

Does this BBC article/view deserve It's own thread or it can be merged with "NEWS-VIEWS-PREP For Series Against WI" thread?

cricheart
November 12, 2012, 09:03 AM
No test status wont hurt BD cricket much, since we aint playing it regularly neway. I'll be happy to see BD sneaked out from whitewash in coming series.
Loitta thaakte 'Status' haarabar kono voy nai, cricket judge-ra jaa khushi boluk. I'm fine with "KKR zindabaad" group ftb.

DMan
November 12, 2012, 01:43 PM
Wow, alot of very pissed off bangla fans here. I am sorry if creating this thread has caused soo much tention among you guys but I thought it was a topic worth discussion and this is the appropriate forum. If the need be then you can PM a mod and let them delete this thread if you all want that. Again my humble apologies if I offended anyone by posting this topic. :notworthy:

RazabQ
November 12, 2012, 03:28 PM
As myself: Dman, you will piss off more people by calling us Bangla fans. You wouldn't us to start referring you to as West fans right? Call us Tigers, Bangladesh, BD - bangla fan means I'm a fan of the language Bengali and that applies to folks in Kolkata as well :)

As mod: It's a fair question you post, though ideally you should preface it with your own stance and explanation. You don't have to delete the thread and you certainly have not violated any forum rules. You should however anticipate that a lot of Tigers fans are just tired of the question.

DMan
November 12, 2012, 03:33 PM
Fair enough RazabQ, however I do have one issue with the "bangla fans" naming. If you don't want people to call you "bangla fans" on this internet message board don't you think it is appropriate that the name of the website not be BANGLAcricket.com?

simon
November 12, 2012, 03:58 PM
DMan, just call us BD fans. :)

RazabQ
November 12, 2012, 04:37 PM
Dman, what can I say, cybersquatters grabbed a bunch of names eons back. Banglacricket was what was available ...

Gowza
November 12, 2012, 05:43 PM
when BD received test status they didn't deserve it, they hadn't done too much in the ODI game and had no FC competition....but even though results aren't that different comparing now to then, there is a huge difference in the quality of player BD now produces. back in the early days of test stauts and even a few years ago the normal sort of average for a BD batsman in tests was between 20-25. now tamim is averaging 38, shakib in the mid 30s, guys like mushy and riyad are close to 30. the quality is better and will improve more with anamul and mominul coming in, shuvagata could be quite decent to.

AsifTheManRahman
November 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
What's wrong with Bangla fans if usage of the term doesn't carry malicious intent/have a racist background? Yo yo yo waddup Bangies?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

DMan
November 12, 2012, 06:32 PM
I don't even think about any of that stuff when I say "bangla fans". I don't even thinks it even means that.

Zeeshan
November 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
can you please NOT call us 'nuncy'? thanks.

Cricketpremi
November 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
Im not sure whether we do deserve the test status but the way our players go out onto the field it looks as if they are enjoying a game of golf. Where is the cheering and jeering from the players themselves? Where is the attitude? Where is the enthusiasm?

For everyone's sake, play like men. This is test cricket, not picnic T20 cricket

NoName
November 13, 2012, 01:07 PM
Do the selectors deserve their jobs, is a better question.

TimAus
November 15, 2012, 10:21 PM
In the early days Bangladesh were hopeless. Completely and utterly. That is not the case anymore. In fact the main reason for Bangladesh's poor record in the last 2-3 years is the fact that they don't play test cricket enough. So the argument that test status should be taken away is ludicrous. They barely have test status as it is, and that is entirely the problem.

mr cricket
November 15, 2012, 10:32 PM
Bangladesh has big fanbase and good market in cricket.

ICC would be stupid to get rid of our Test staus.

Infact they should be adding more teams to stop Test from dying.

betaar
November 16, 2012, 12:52 AM
In the early days Bangladesh were hopeless. Completely and utterly. That is not the case anymore. In fact the main reason for Bangladesh's poor record in the last 2-3 years is the fact that they don't play test cricket enough. So the argument that test status should be taken away is ludicrous. They barely have test status as it is, and that is entirely the problem.

Well said...my thought exactly. The real question is does Bangladesh deserve this so called test status without any test for 10-11 months? If improvement is to be seen, ICC needs to stop this non-sense. I know BD didn't help their case by losing most of the matches but something got to give. The onus is also on BD and they need to step up and show fights in the limited chances they get.

Habib
November 16, 2012, 01:15 AM
...The onus is also on BD and they need to step up and show fights in the limited chances they get.

That's the bottom line really.

shivfan
November 16, 2012, 02:14 AM
Does the West Indies bowling attack deserve Test status?

shakibrulz
November 16, 2012, 06:09 AM
Agreed - they were rushed in, and now when they have a decent unit, they don't get tests at all. Sigh.

Fazal
November 16, 2012, 08:03 AM
Does the West Indies bowling attack deserve Test status?

That's a good question.

AsifTheManRahman
November 16, 2012, 08:48 AM
If you look at the current Aussie and SA bowling units, given the form that our batsmen are in, we should be able to post 600+ scores against them on a consistent basis. There are few in those countries who can bat the way Naeem Islam batted or take the battle to our spinners. So all in all, I think at least some of those scores should result in inning victories for us. Rankings may not say so, but based on form, we're clearly among the top three in Test cricket. So the question isn't whether we deserve the status, the question is whether we should still be playing lower ranked teams like the West Indies and New Zealand, or whether we should have more bilateral series featuring 5-7 Tests against the top guns.

oronnya
November 16, 2012, 08:59 AM
If you look at the current Aussie and SA bowling units, given the form that our batsmen are in, we should be able to post 600+ scores against them on a consistent basis. There are few in those countries who can bat the way Naeem Islam batted or take the battle to our spinners. So all in all, I think at least some of those scores should result in inning victories for us. Rankings may not say so, but based on form, we're clearly among the top three in Test cricket. So the question isn't whether we deserve the status, the question is whether we should still be playing lower ranked teams like the West Indies and New Zealand, or whether we should have more bilateral series featuring 5-7 Tests against the top guns.

:o:o:wow::wow::wow:

Dilscoop
November 16, 2012, 12:02 PM
LOL ATMR. God I hate this act!!

Purbasha T
November 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator in action.
However, no moderation in exxageration!

:-p

One World
November 16, 2012, 01:06 PM

Should I gurgle or giggle...

al Furqaan
November 16, 2012, 04:25 PM

BanglaCricket Uncle disagrees:

If we play 7 Test series vs India, England, SA, and Aus...amar mone hoi koti koti Test cricket fans in Swaziland, German Samoa, Moldova, and East Timor will start crying. I think we have a moral duty to play and lose against them than to beat teams like Australia by a double innings at a puny ground like the Gabba. Australia amader shaate parbe na, jei team parbe amader shaate like Guatemala ba mone koren Laos eder shaate khelle amader cricket onek agiye jabe bhobishote. Apni auntie ke jiggisha koren, tini aki kotha bolben.

One World
November 16, 2012, 07:54 PM
Do you deserve to ask such question?

(Unless BBC stands for Boycott Broadcasting Company)

auntu
November 16, 2012, 09:59 PM
A big Khekz and yeah! Asif bhai with sword...

KaaL-PurusH
November 21, 2012, 03:45 AM
Bangladesh should be banned from test arena like Zimbabwe till we can establish an effective plan and domestic structure for development. we are certainly doing so little to improve ourself hence not having enough ground to push ICC for more room in FTP. There is no doubt that BCB has taken the test status for granted. realistically we cant be a strong team in cricket world except we are gifted with couple of great player with intense desire to mark their name in the world unlike only to play for national team like the losers in current team.

Dilscoop
November 21, 2012, 06:04 AM
"A century on Test debut, only the second to do that from number 10 in 135 years of Test match cricket!"

You remove our test status and you lose moments like these. We contributed in many special ways in the past, and we'll continue to do so. Thank you.

KaaL-PurusH
November 21, 2012, 07:25 AM
"A century on Test debut, only the second to do that from number 10 in 135 years of Test match cricket!"

You remove our test status and you lose moments like these. We contributed in many special ways in the past, and we'll continue to do so. Thank you.

This once in a blue moon moments wont take our cricket anywhere. Our cricket cultures isn't good, players dont have determination to reach on top, we dont have system to educate domestic players and develop them. we are doing simply nothing to be top cricketing nation

at least some strick conditions will make BCB to bring some changes.

MyRoom
November 21, 2012, 07:41 AM

Exactly! the youngest test 100 maker was or still is a Bangladeshi as well. Bangladesh seems to rewrite history.

KaaL-PurusH
November 21, 2012, 08:24 AM
so we are happy to be some wicked record making team but crap rest of the time. Do we lack the desire to be best?

Zunaid
November 21, 2012, 10:57 AM
Abar jiggs?

betaar
November 21, 2012, 12:13 PM
so we are happy to be some wicked record making team but crap rest of the time. Do we lack the desire to be best?

Bro, I agree with you whole heartedly that this sort of freak inning will not make Bangladesh a good team overnight neither will it turn Abul into a true medium pace all rounder we have been desperately waiting for; or will it? Don't know the answer to that but questions can be asked later; let people enjoy this moment for now.

Tiger444
November 21, 2012, 01:09 PM
Bangladesh should be banned from test arena like Zimbabwe till we can establish an effective plan and domestic structure for development. we are certainly doing so little to improve ourself hence not having enough ground to push ICC for more room in FTP. There is no doubt that BCB has taken the test status for granted. realistically we cant be a strong team in cricket world except we are gifted with couple of great player with intense desire to mark their name in the world unlike only to play for national team like the losers in current team.

Bhai do you really think BCB would change if the ICC took away our Test status? I agree that we need a domestic revamp in order for us to be a better Test team but taking away the Test status won't change the BCB. They will still be the same old BCB. Zimbabwe went in to self exile because they are in a financial mess. That's not the case with us at all and therefore ICC will not take our Test status away.

At the worst, we'll be in the same position that we are in now, getting 40 Test matches in the next 8 years and most of our matches will be at home. If we start drawing or winning more Test matches in the near future, then we will get more Test matches. It really all depends on how we do in the chances we get.

Dilscoop
November 21, 2012, 04:48 PM
This once in a blue moon moments wont take our cricket anywhere. Our cricket cultures isn't good, players dont have determination to reach on top, we dont have system to educate domestic players and develop them. we are doing simply nothing to be top cricketing nation

at least some strick conditions will make BCB to bring some changes.

They broke 3 different world record last night. It's not a once in a blue moon. In our 12 years we've broken many records with a crappy team.