PDA

View Full Version : Who is your current #1 Test batsman?

Zeeshan
November 22, 2012, 04:52 PM
Who would you rate as the current #1 Test batsman? A poll added.

Current ranking as it stands.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/rankings/content/page/211270.html

By current obviously I mean if you were to pick today and compare performance over the past year. :)

Zeeshan
November 22, 2012, 04:57 PM
I am not eloquent enough like the following from Ashley Mallet. Let the great ones justify him:

Michael Clarke is an amalgam of Victor Trumper and Don Bradman. He possesses the majesty of Trumper, whose batting in full flight was that of an eagle, and much of the efficiency of Bradman, who collected runs like a frequent flyer clocks miles.

Full article (http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/592527.html)

al Furqaan
November 26, 2012, 07:47 PM
Cook and Clarke followed closely by Amla and then Kallis.

MyRoom
November 26, 2012, 07:59 PM
Amla when he scored his 300 in England! he was fasting the whole time in humid conditions.

roman
November 26, 2012, 08:12 PM
Amla..This guy is a run machine. Then it has to be Clarke

NoName
November 26, 2012, 08:31 PM
Amla when he scored his 300 in England! he was fasting the whole time in humid conditions.

He wasn't fasting. They interviewed him and he cleared the fact that he and Tahir do not fast on game days, though he refused drinks on the pitch out of respect for others who were watching I think.

Zeeshan
November 26, 2012, 08:50 PM
I solely went by stats and left out Jayawardena, Gayle, Sehwag, Cook, Pietersen, Ponting and others who could well be great Test players on their own right. But that's for you guys to mention. :)

Dilscoop
November 26, 2012, 10:47 PM
I see the hujur is getting a lot of vote over Clarke for being a hujur.

Clarke's last 4 100s were all double 100s. He took his game to the next level after becoming Aus's captain.

Cook's name should be up there too.

Dilscoop
November 26, 2012, 10:49 PM
Sanga got 4 ducks in his last 4 stars. Poll fail.

Ajfar
November 26, 2012, 11:28 PM
My vote goes to Cook. Dude's been on top of his game for quite a while now. Plus after Strauss retired he had to take on even more responsibility. And so far he is giving it all he's got.

NoName
November 26, 2012, 11:37 PM
Yeh its either Cook or Clarke, but I'm going with Clarke, he has been racking up 200s and a triple in the past year.

BrianLara7
November 26, 2012, 11:58 PM
I see the hujur is getting a lot of vote over Clarke for being a hujur.

Clarke's last 4 100s were all double 100s. He took his game to the next level after becoming Aus's captain.

Cook's name should be up there too.

Typical "muslim ummah" vote. If this was on pakistani forum then Clarke would be lucky to get a single vote and all votes will go to "brother" Amla. Nothing against Amla but Michael clarke averages almost twice as much as him in 2012 (119) with 3 double hundreds and 1 triple hundred. Cook is nowhere near Clarke currently.

BrianLara7
November 27, 2012, 12:00 AM

Don't spread rumors please, he wasn't fasting as confirmed during matches. Unfortunately he did not apologize to the Muslim ummah for the great sin.

Zeeshan
November 27, 2012, 12:33 AM
Chanderpaul should be in the poll too. I know he bores you to death but he has been consistent formwise AND statswise.

Isnaad
November 27, 2012, 12:51 AM
Don't spread rumors please, he wasn't fasting as confirmed during matches. Unfortunately he did not apologize to the Muslim ummah for the great sin.

Amla was playing overseas. It is not compulsory for a person to fast when he is overseas. He can make that up when he goes back to his country.

Rifat
November 27, 2012, 01:24 AM

I am sorry bro, not choosing to fast is a violation of Allah's command, you apologize to Allah, not his creation! So We do not apologize to the Muslim Ummah for our sins, we seek forgiveness from Allah!

Dilscoop
November 27, 2012, 01:28 AM
Typical "muslim ummah" vote. If this was on pakistani forum then Clarke would be lucky to get a single vote and all votes will go to "brother" Amla. Nothing against Amla but Michael clarke averages almost twice as much as him in 2012 (119) with 3 double hundreds and 1 triple hundred. Cook is nowhere near Clarke currently.

Exactly. Clarke makes Amla look like an rookie. Amla is good. But Clarke has been extra awesome. Blind voters.

cricheart
November 27, 2012, 05:44 AM
We suk on test cricket. Anyone else doin any boringly majestic notorius stuffs on this format dont please me at all anymore. Zee vi why dont you put tamsha in it, let see how it goes. I'm sure lot of us wont bother vote against Clarkey, Sanga, Hasim, Kallis or Chandupaul.

mufi_02
November 27, 2012, 09:57 AM
Cook or KP should be in the list too. Sanga is not in good form now.

zman
November 27, 2012, 08:04 PM
Amla haters are idiots. Who falls in that category? I haven't called out anybody specifically but if you have a defensive reaction to this post, congrats, you likely fall in that category. If you can't praise one great cricketer without demeaning another then I have nothing more to say about you.

Going by last 4/5 years performance, Amla is better. He's been a match winner and consistent performer for a long time now. At times he's been so dominant, the opposition would just lose interest and stop fighting. And he does this in all types of conditions.

Going by the last 12 months performance, Clarke is the best. His last two double tons were so spectacular not only qualitatively but also quantitatively, that it shot his last 5 year batting average from <50 to ~55.

Cook's amazing run and big tons in alien conditions puts him in this exclusive group. Kallis, rounding out the top four, is playing like he's discovered the fountain of youth whereas his contemporary greats are plummeting like a rock.

Dilscoop
November 27, 2012, 08:24 PM
^ Smartface, no one's hating on Amla nor anyone was demeaning Amla. Criticisms were for the voters who voted for him based on his beard not batting. It's quite clear, just read some of those earlier posts. So calm your balls down. Please. And learn how to read the title. It says current, not last half decade. So IDK why you are talking about last 5-6 years.

I know I should NEVER read any post that starts off with the word "Haterz"...

zman
November 27, 2012, 08:41 PM
^ funny thing is until this post I handn't detected anything wrong in your posts :facepalm:

Rifat
November 27, 2012, 11:45 PM
Based on recent form(last 4 innings): Clarke
Based on consistency over the last two years: it has to be Amla

LOL i just saw zman's post #20. haha

BrianLara7
November 28, 2012, 12:28 AM
Based on recent form(last 4 innings): Clarke
Based on consistency over the last two years: it has to be Amla

LOL i just saw zman's post #20. haha

Sorry mate, In last 2 years Amla averages 58 with 5 hundreds which is amazing, but Clarke averages a small matter of 71 with 7 hundreds (3 double and one triple) which some would say (crazy enough) is just a bit better than Amla. But atleast Amla is muslim and has a beard.. that should be enough to put him ahead of Clarke.

Rifat
November 28, 2012, 12:32 AM
Sorry mate, In last 2 years Amla averages 58 with 5 hundreds which is amazing, but Clarke averages a small matter of 71 with 7 hundreds (3 double and one triple) which some would say (crazy enough) is just a bit better than Amla. But atleast Amla is muslim and has a beard.. that should be enough to put him ahead of Clarke.

fair enough. how about last three years? 2010-2012??

Zeeshan
November 28, 2012, 12:45 AM
fair enough. how about last three years? 2010-2012??

Ghure fire shei dosh amar dikei ashbe...to tai bole rakhi rifat babu, eta current...but then what IS "current"...right?(Edited the Title)

Dilscoop
November 28, 2012, 01:21 AM
Lol people really need to start reading the thread titles

Jadukor
November 28, 2012, 01:41 AM
My pick would be Amla. His consistency is incredible and what separates him from other good batsman is that he scores heavily both on subcontinental wickets as well as seam friendly wickets. He is not a flat track bully nor a home condition Bradman. His scores against India in India, Pakistan in Abu Dabi and England in England stands out for me.

BrianLara7
November 28, 2012, 10:23 AM
Bechara Clarke, If only he was a beard wielding "brother".

Zunaid
November 28, 2012, 10:44 AM
Bechara Clarke, If only he was a beard wielding "brother".

Public warning: all this religion baiting has gone past mildly amusing, to annoying, to seriously abusive of forum rules.

- Admin

HereWeGo
November 28, 2012, 11:05 AM
Tamim Iqbal..... if only he played enough matches

simon
November 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
Won't vote because it's about "current" n1 batmsan so it will change time to time.
but currently Clark is miles ahead than the rest.

oronnya
November 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
Public warning: all this religion baiting has gone past mildly amusing, to annoying, to seriously abusive of forum rules.

- Admin

Thank you Zunaid bhai !!! If we vote for Amla why does it have to be for religious reason!! Amla has been a consistent test batsman for a long time. Clarke is in super form this year. Cook is good too but I personally feel he has problem when he is in his nervous 90s. So from overall judgement Amla gets the vote. Now I don't think someone should criticize someone else's personal preference. Even if it's religious how does it matter ? Not all the dariwalas in cricket gets the vote. The player still have to have it in them.

Dilscoop
November 28, 2012, 06:58 PM
Cook is good too but I personally feel he has problem when he is in his nervous 90s.

What now? Don't make up reasons. When did see him pull a Shakib? He converted all his 100s in his last 4 starts as a captain and even before that.

If you wanna vote for Amla just vote for Amla. But you don't have to make up random reasons.

oronnya
November 28, 2012, 07:38 PM
What now? Don't make up reasons. When did see him pull a Shakib? He converted all his 100s in his last 4 starts as a captain and even before that.

If you wanna vote for Amla just vote for Amla. But you don't have to make up random reasons.

Who is making up stuffs here??? huh !! It's you who made up things like Amla got the votes for religious reason. Cook is one of my fav player and I particularly remember him getting out in his nervous 90s quite a few times. Same happens when he is nearing to his 50s.

Here: Since 2011 he got out in his nervous 90s thrice !!! And got out nearing 50s thrice as well.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/432332_10152330579075228_1719368657_n.jpg

Why do you even compare Cook to Shakib :facepalm: . Cook has a test average of 49.37, not even comparable to Shakib. I don't think Shakib will ever be able to get his test batting average past 40.

Gowza
November 28, 2012, 07:45 PM
shakib can get his test batting average past 40 if he learns to convert his half centuries to centuries more often.

oronnya
November 28, 2012, 07:56 PM
shakib can get his test batting average past 40 if he learns to convert his half centuries to centuries more often.

And that's where the problem lies. He is very capable of having a average of 45+ but as we know something plays on his mind when he is nearing 100. He seriously have to learn the art of scoring 100s at ease. Why the rush !!

Dilscoop
November 28, 2012, 08:33 PM
Who is making up stuffs here??? huh !! It's you who made up things like Amla got the votes for religious reason. Cook is one of my fav player and I particularly remember him getting out in his nervous 90s quite a few times. Same happens when he is nearing to his 50s.

Here: Since 2011 he got out in his nervous 90s thrice !!! And got out nearing 50s thrice as well.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/432332_10152330579075228_1719368657_n.jpg

Why do you even compare Cook to Shakib :facepalm: . Cook has a test average of 49.37, not even comparable to Shakib. I don't think Shakib will ever be able to get his test batting average past 40.

So you a guy gets out few times in the 90s and he has nervous 90s syndrom? :facepalm: Getting out in the 90s couple of times doesn't necessarily mean they have the "nervous 90s." And I wasn't comparing Cook to Shakib! :facepalm: Where did you get that? :-/ I asked if you ever saw Cook ever pull a Shakib, as in do what Shakib does in the 90s.

Everyone gets nervous when they get close to milestone, it's only natural. You can't use that to mark off points. But People like Sachin, Watson, Shakib take it to the next level as they totally change their batting when they get close to 100, act unnatural, and get out. It's visible in their batting, not stats.

Also, you circled nearing 50s? Really? It's in the name, nervous NINETIES. Again, just because list shows a guy got out couple of times nearing a milestone, doesn't mean he has nervousness issues. It's about HOW he got out, not WHEN.

And again, you are making stuff up about the beard. I made it up? My comment was an observation based on the previous comments about his beard and his fasting and what not. Read the thread and calm down with the !!! and the ??? :rolleyes:

Dilscoop
November 28, 2012, 08:38 PM
IDK why are we ever talking about AC. It's about Clarke and Amla pretty much, thanks to that dumb poll with Sanga and Kallis who are out of form and injured...

My list:

Clarke
Amla
Cook
Pujara
Hussey

oronnya
November 28, 2012, 08:55 PM
So you a guy gets out few times in the 90s and he has nervous 90s syndrom? :facepalm: Getting out in the 90s couple of times doesn't necessarily mean they have the "nervous 90s." And I wasn't comparing Cook to Shakib! :facepalm: Where did you get that? :-/ I asked if you ever saw Cook ever pull a Shakib, as in do what Shakib does in the 90s.

Everyone gets nervous when they get close to milestone, it's only natural. You can't use that to mark off points. But People like Sachin, Watson, Shakib take it to the next level as they totally change their batting when they get close to 100, act unnatural, and get out. It's visible in their batting, not stats.

Also, you circled nearing 50s? Really? It's in the name, nervous NINETIES. Again, just because list shows a guy got out couple of times nearing a milestone, doesn't mean he has nervousness issues. It's about HOW he got out, not WHEN.

And again, you are making stuff up about the beard. I made it up? My comment was an observation based on the previous comments about his beard and his fasting and what not. Read the thread and calm down with the !!! and the ??? :rolleyes:

No sane batsman in the world will pull a Shakib (particularly the last shot he played) so let's leave that example.

Now that was one of my criteria to vote Amla ahead of Cook. If you think getting out in 90s and 40s doesn't mean he is nervous then that's your point of view. If you want to overlook the stats then that's your decision as well. None of us actually know what goes through their mind when they are nearing to their personal milestone. As you said it's only normal. Could be but if one batsman gets out quite a few times nearing a milestone compared to the other then he might still have some issues in controlling his emotions IMHO.

Anyways no point in arguing as all of them are class act. Sometimes one will be in super form and sometimes the other. Like this year Clarke is in extraordinary form, next year it could be Cook. The most important part is who is more consistent over the years !!!

Dilscoop
November 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
^ If you want to say Cook has the nervous 90s syndrom, you can. But I don't think it's a fact rather your opinion and I can respect that. But from what I have seen, he bats his normal self while nearing a landmark without acting like a Sachin (choking, getting stuck at 90s) or Sehwag (trying to prove a point by getting it with a 6).

It was never about Cook and Amla, again, thanks to the dumb poll, it was about Clarke and Amla.

oronnya
November 28, 2012, 09:25 PM
^ If you want to say Cook has the nervous 90s syndrom, you can. But I don't think it's a fact rather your opinion and I can respect that. But from what I have seen, he bats his normal self while nearing a landmark without acting like a Sachin (choking, getting stuck at 90s) or Sehwag (trying to prove a point by getting it with a 6).

It was never about Cook and Amla, again, thanks to the dumb poll, it was about Clarke and Amla.

Just to give you an example why I said that :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1028_10152330761930228_645520538_n.jpg

Don't get me wrong he is one of my fav player and I follow him very closely and it just breaks my heart when I see him missing those 100s :(.

Dilscoop
November 28, 2012, 09:33 PM
^ That's ONE example. And how old is that game? We're talking about current. I'd highly doubt as a captain he would do that again. As a captain this year, in his four starts he got four 100s. His captaincy innings have been super. He is at a new level now.

And I put him behind Amla too. So IDK why we're arguing about Amla vs Cook, when we have the same stance on it.

I was just amazed to see so people not recognizing Clarke's feat and being biased toward Amla for unrelated reasons. Yes, he did those things at home, but still, he had to score those runs.

oronnya
November 28, 2012, 09:58 PM
^ That's ONE example. And how old is that game? We're talking about current. I'd highly doubt as a captain he would do that again. As a captain this year, in his four starts he got four 100s. His captaincy innings have been super. He is at a new level now.

And I put him behind Amla too. So IDK why we're arguing about Amla vs Cook, when we have the same stance on it.

I was just amazed to see so people not recognizing Clarke's feat and being biased toward Amla for unrelated reasons. Yes, he did those things at home, but still, he had to score those runs.

Ok good to know that we are on the same page. I gave those stats as you asked why I think Cook has issues while nearing his milestone. And hopefully he'll overcome that as the days passes by. And I agree he is in a new level now.

Yameen
November 29, 2012, 04:47 AM
Amla did get a few let offs during the innings he played in England last summer but guess we all need a bit of luck.

Still I wouldn't place him ahead of Clarke, the pups on fire!

fush_montor
November 29, 2012, 05:01 AM
Abul Hasan Raju
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

BengaliPagol
November 29, 2012, 05:07 AM
Before the Aus vs SA test series started Clarke played a fair amount of FC and grade cricket. I was looking thru the scorecards of those matches he seemed to be making consistent 30s and thats it. I thought he wont be in the form that he was in last summer but i was way off the mark when he scored a double century.

How weird is that getting out in the 30s to nobodies in state cricket but scoring double centuries/century when you are facing the likes of Steyn, Morkel and Philander. Goes to show that he is an international performer.

Sohel
November 29, 2012, 06:50 AM
Gotta be Raju. Just look at his ebharez and batting position. He NOT pom gana!

MyRoom
November 29, 2012, 01:49 PM
People need to be careful about 'averages' because first of all, it doesn't mean you will be hitting that average every game you play in. Secondly!, averages don't really tell the whole story, Shakib started his test career at a very young age so therefore inexperienced bringing his average way too low whereas if you take his test performance in the past 2 years, he averages more than 45 so people just need to be careful about 'overall' averages because it doesn't give you the real picture on players current ability.

Jadukor
December 3, 2012, 01:17 AM
Awesome innings by Amla once again. Totally played in ODI mode