PDA

View Full Version : Novo Theater

reverse_swing
March 26, 2004, 01:44 PM
Hi, this is our recently constructed Novo Theater(previously known as Bangobandhu Novo Theater) in Dhaka(near bijoy soroni road).

http://www.exploitz.com/files/user/4/a50396074b95262db9eccec386fdc83e.jpg

Zunaid
March 26, 2004, 01:47 PM
Nice....

Would you happen to know the architect?

- Z

Ahmed_B
March 26, 2004, 11:45 PM
nice pic
thanx for it to reverse swing.
may i know the source of this pic pls?

The Architect of this project:
Ar. Ali Imam,
From the Dept. of Architecture
Ministry of Housing & Public works

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by crickethorizon]

reinausagi
March 26, 2004, 11:48 PM
Aha! So that's where they're concealing the heavy water reactor!

FaltuRidwanBhai
March 26, 2004, 11:55 PM
odhoot hoise. erokom kaj amader desh a hochhe shunleo bhalo lage. dekhe to mone hoi shongshod bhoboner por bangladesher aita hochhe 2nd best building. jaihok, asha korbo bhobishhote bangladesher architectra ebong engineerra erokom chinta bhabna kore erokom shundor shundor building banabe. asha kori tara rajuk ar onumodon niye banabe. ebong asha korbo tara dhaka shohorer niyom mene banabe. karon building jotoi shundor hok jodi building ta illegally banano hoi rajuk ar onumodon chara tahole sheta kintu kharap hobe. ebong aro akta kotha jeta bolcte chai sheta hochhe oboshhoi akhon amader architect ebong enginerra building ar jonno porjapto parking ar jaiga rakhe ebong tara jeno bhumi komper kothatao mathay rakhe. dannabad.

reverse_swing
April 29, 2004, 05:39 AM
The first state-owned planetarium is going to be opened at long last in the capital within a couple of months.

http://www.thedailystar.net/2004/04/29/2004-04-29__front03.jpg
Dhaka Novotheatre, a state-of-the-art planetarium, is set for inauguration by Prime Minister Khaleda Zia in two months. PHOTO: STAR

"Installation of equipment at the planetarium is almost complete. We're now waiting for the prime minister's appointment to inaugurate it in June," said an official of the Ministry of Science and Information Communications Technology.

Dhaka Novotheatre will introduce a modern tilted-domed planetarium combined with a large format motion picture system known as space theatre with most modern state-of-the-art audio system, he added.

The distinctive feature of a modern space theatre is its large projection dome, which is tilted 25 to 30 degrees with its front widely exposed to the spectators.

"As the universe is simulated, the spectators don't need to look up as in a conventional planetarium. Instead, they get the feel of being in outer space," the official said.

The planetarium comes into reality after suffering several setbacks. The BNP-led government suspended the project after 80 percent of the construction, terming it 'unproductive' and directed the ministry of works to postpone the Tk 133-crore project in November 2001.

The Novotheatre was originally conceived by the BNP government in 1995 with an estimated cost of Tk 52 crore.

When the Awami League came to power in 1996, the theatre was renamed Bangabandhu Novo Theatre. The Public Works Department (PWD) began its structural work near Bijoy Sarani with an enhanced budget of Tk 133 crore.

Japanese Goto Optical Manufacturing Company provided equipment at a cost of Tk 43.19 crore and the theatre was scheduled for opening in October 1998.

Shortly after this, an American team installed a US-made Tk 5-crore aluminium dome. The BNP government deemed the project to be too expensive and unproductive.

The alliance government finally gave the go-ahead to the project in October 2002.

There are 1,200 public planetariums in the major cities of the world. Many planetariums in the neighbouring countries are popular attractions for the public. India has 29 planetarium, including four in West Bengal.

The planetarium will help eradicate superstitions and irrational thinking from the society, create interest in young generation in studying science and technology and open facilities of recreation for general public. It will also serve as a non-formal space science education institution.

Vinnajagat, the first ever planetarium in the country, is run by a private operator in Rangpur.

by Mustak Hossain
-Dailystar

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by reverse_swing]

oracle
April 29, 2004, 07:18 AM
Missed this thread. Anyway, i like the second picture, which does more justice to the design. The zigzag arrangement of the windows(in the first picture) is awful. However, I think the two rows of columns flanking the dome is tastefully done. But again you cannot judge a building by pictures.

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by oracle]

rafiq
April 29, 2004, 07:34 AM
because this project was stop-and-go due to political party machinations, I wonder how up-to-date the technology is at this point. this could be a 1998 building delivered in 2004 at twice the cost! but then I am a cynic...I'm sure it's fine. as for architecture, any decent architecture in bangladesh is a welcome sight.

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by rafiq]

oracle
April 29, 2004, 07:39 AM
Most of the decent architecture was done in the 50,s 60's and the seventies. In fact I would hazard to guess that decent architecture took a downturn since 71. Probably the best architecture is, in my taste, the independence memorial. It is simple, effective and above all designed by a Bangladeshi. Of course everyone would say Parliament but that was conceived in Philadelphia.