PDA

View Full Version : Who are some of the most efficient strikers of a cricket ball of all time?

Roey Haque
December 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
I guess you could call them power hitters. But even power hitting requires technique, hell, everything does. What I'm trying to say is who are some of these batsmen, who could go forward and slog when needed to,but also could swivel their hips and arms and let the ball come to them before hitting it?

Another way of putting it, if you required 50 runs in 2 overs, who would you sent in?

I'll start of by saying Lance Klusner. Probably my favorite non-Bd cricketer of all time. Yes, all time!

Name some more.

Zeeshan
December 12, 2012, 07:53 PM
Gayle, Razzaq, Watson, Sehwag, McCullum, Gilchrist, Ashraful

Ajfar
December 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
Warner.

Zeeshan
December 12, 2012, 08:12 PM
Warner.

"Arrey bhai Warner to Australian....amader oncholer kaure naam daak dan naki? "

MohammedC
December 12, 2012, 08:15 PM
Rubel Hossain says "Marlon Samuels"

MohammedC
December 12, 2012, 08:17 PM
Chris Cairns and Nathan Astle

shuziburo
December 12, 2012, 08:22 PM
If I need 48 (12 boundaries), I'll go with the batsman who could hit any ball anywhere. Bradman.

But, for 50, I'll probably go with Jaysuriya or Gayle.

Sovik
December 13, 2012, 12:17 AM
Viv Richards, Lance cairns, Brian Lara

Maysun
December 13, 2012, 01:13 AM
I thought of Lance the moment I read OP's second para.

Apart from him; Gayle, KP, MSD, Gibbs(old), Cairns, Gilchrist.

BengaliPagol
December 13, 2012, 02:20 AM
Gilchrist :)

Zeeshan
December 13, 2012, 02:40 AM
Lance Cairns er naam ei prothom shunlam. Yeah bash me.

Edit: Oh Sovik meant: Cairns, Lance?

Jadukor
December 13, 2012, 02:48 AM
Chris Cairns and Nathan Astle

Anyone remembers the fastest double century by Nathan Astle? He almost won NZ an impossible game playing that innings

Gowza
December 13, 2012, 07:06 AM
all good picks so far. dilshan is another. Amla and ab de villiers not bad picks either.

roman
December 13, 2012, 09:12 AM
Gayle, Samuels, Viv Richards, Afridi, Jayasuria, Kaluvitharana and Gilchrist

Maysun
December 13, 2012, 10:42 AM
all good picks so far. dilshan is another. Amla and ab de villiers not bad picks either.

Damn, I forgot AB.

BrianLara7
December 13, 2012, 11:29 AM
Either everyone here was born in the 90's or they are not big cricket fans. Any post that doesn't have Sir viv richards when talking about strikers of the cricket ball qualifies as fail.

BrianLara7
December 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uzMBme5J3V4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

And this is not with the help of massive bats, short boundaries, flat pitches and trundler bowlers.

Navo
December 13, 2012, 01:08 PM
Nice list so far. Symonds and Michael Hussey were also good during the first decade of the 21st century. (Remember what Hussey did to Ajmal??)

But an 'efficient striker' from the Golden Age of Cricket: Albert Edwin Trott (http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/21593.html) (The only man, till date, to have hit a ball over the Lord's pavilion)

Roey Haque
December 13, 2012, 10:24 PM
Very cool.

So we have so far:
D Bradman
L Klusner
V Richards
T Dilshan
H Amla
AB DeVilliers
N Astle
C. Cairns
M Hussey
A Symonds
C Gayle
S Jaysuria
D Warner
V Sehwag
A Gilchrist
S Afridi
S Watson

Not including Samuels, Razzaq and Ashraful because they will never be no.1 anyway.

So now from that list, exclude 5 batsmen. The most overlapping answers will be selected, and those batsmen will be eliminated.

Remeber the criteria is efficient hitting. Come forward slog + stay at the crease pummel. 50 runs in 2 overs.

Sovik
December 14, 2012, 01:05 AM
Lance Cairns er naam ei prothom shunlam. Yeah bash me.

Edit: Oh Sovik meant: Cairns, Lance?

Lance Cairns, father of Chris Cairns

Sovik
December 14, 2012, 01:13 AM
Nice list so far. Symonds and Michael Hussey were also good during the first decade of the 21st century. (Remember what Hussey did to Ajmal??)

But an 'efficient striker' from the Golden Age of Cricket: Albert Edwin Trott (http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/21593.html) (The only man, till date, to have hit a ball over the Lord's pavilion)

Kieron Pollard would have been the other man had they not built something on top of the pavilion.

When he was playing for Somerset,against Middlesex he hit few sixes and one of them would have cleared the old pavilion. Some said it was bigger than Trott's hit