PDA

View Full Version : Almost no progress

reverse_swing
January 29, 2013, 01:09 PM
RICHARD MCINNES
Naimul Karim
* Head coach of the National Cricket Academy Richard McInnes says systemic flaws in the BCB retarding progress.

* After six months of his contract '12-15 proposals' still await approval.

* Says lack of preparation before first-class cricket contributes to fast

bowlers' injuries.

* Fast bowlers 'will break' on the tour of Sri Lanka as they will have no time to prepare for the longer version after the BPL.

It's been six months since Richard McInnes's return to Bangladesh as the head of the Bangladesh Cricket Board's (BCB) National Cricket Academy (NCA). The Australian, whose hard-hitting High Performance Unit camps back in 2005 are often credited with having helped produce some of the better players of today's national team, is however frustrated with what he described as 'close to zero progress' since his arrival.

“To be honest I have 12 or 15 different proposals in front of the board and they are just sitting there at the moment,” said McInnes, who is here on a two-year contract, when asked about the changes that he had tried to implement.

“Unfortunately what's happened is that we have had the West Indies series, the NCL (National Cricket League), the BCL (Bangladesh Cricket League), the BPL (Bangladesh Premier League T20) and in between all that, the board being dissolved and the ad-hoc committee being appointed.

“The way the BCB operates, whenever there's an event on, everybody is involved so nothing else happens. I'm just waiting until all these events finish and then we get some decisions made, which is unfortunate because most of those proposals need preparation time and they need to be ready for the start of the academy programme,” said McInnes.

McInnes believed that the board needed 'managers who can take decisions'. “At the moment all the decision-making powers is with a small group of people and if they are busy nothing else in the business happens,” said McInnes.

The appointment of an under-19 head coach for the world cup in 2014 for instance, is one such proposal that has been awaiting approval since September. Another crucial proposal gathering dust is related to the pre-season preparation for first-class cricket. “The preparation phase for first-class cricket hasn't changed over the years. There isn't any. So it's like unprofessional cricket, it's not first-class cricket,” said McInnes.

The Australian believes that the players' injuries, especially for the bowlers, are a result of the lack of preparation before first-class competitions.

“The BCL I think was a great concept. That's what first-class cricket should look like. But it needs to have a pre-season programme, so that the players can get ready to play,” said McInnes.

“Almost none of our top fast bowlers played this year in the BCL. They are all injured. Mashrafe (Bin Mortaza), Taskin (Ahmed), Rubel (Hossain), Shafiul (Islam) didn't play. So there is an issue there with our fast bowler management,” he added.

With Bangladesh scheduled to tour Sri Lanka, McInnes expects harsher outcomes. “The players who are playing BPL now will immediately go play Tests in Sri Lanka. The fast bowlers are bowling four overs now and will be expected to bowl 10-15 overs there. They'll break. They'll get injured.

“You can have the world's best fast bowling coach, but you still won't be able to do anything because there are so many other factors that contribute, and we need to get them right.” he added.

Stating one such factor, the 38-year-old said, “Fast bowling is physically hard. The food the team eats is rubbish. You can't ask a fast bowler to have a body that's resilient enough to handle the workload if you only eat rice and daal (lentils) -- you can't expect to drive a Ferrari and put water in the fuel tank,” exclaimed McInnes.

Furthermore, he was critical of the 'timing' of the second edition of the BPL. With Bangladesh scheduled to leave for Sri Lanka on March 1 and with the final round of the BCL set to take place after the end of the BPL on February 19, there seems to be no room for preparation.

“Getting a bowler ready for Test cricket takes six weeks, not six days. The BPL will definitely have a negative effect on the tour of Sri Lanka. Our top pacers are signed up with the teams, but they aren't bowling as much because it's all spin. How are they going to get ready if they are not playing?” said McInnes.

Source: http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=267065

Navo
January 29, 2013, 01:25 PM
*clap* Richard makes many valid points. If we can't even prepare properly for the few international fixtures that we do have - then how will we ever get anywhere or even increase the number of international matches we play?

betaar
January 29, 2013, 01:26 PM
McInnnes is about to lose his job.....is he crazy? Why speak the truth while taking a job in BD. These Westerners will never learn. Just keep your mouth shut and do your job...which is doing nothing.

BD Tigers
January 29, 2013, 01:44 PM
that was totally uncalled for..Mr. McInnes...he should know better...our BCB is always working very hard on being UNPROFESSIONAL :facepalm:

Shubho
January 29, 2013, 01:56 PM
He's in Bangladesh and he expects things to actually get done???

I feel bad for him. Banging his head against a brick wall.

Spiderman
January 29, 2013, 02:13 PM
Now you can see why no one wants to coach Bangladesh because they know BCB is an arrogant and unprofessional board. Them and these politicians will destroy Bangladesh Cricket and are embarrassing especially that Pakistan tour saga. This is the same board that is most likely along with its politicians that's preventing a region like Syhlet from having their own proper stadium and holding matches.

MohammedC
January 29, 2013, 02:20 PM
McInnnes is about to lose his job.....is he crazy? Why speak the truth while taking a job in BD. These Westerners will never learn. Just keep your mouth shut and do your job...which is doing nothing.

This is very brave post. Now every Bangladeshi will hate betaar bhai. Bhai apne shottho kotha na boolei tho parthen. #damachapa

BANFAN
January 29, 2013, 02:36 PM
Is this the worst Part?? Or the Root weakness of BCB as an organization??

“The way the BCB operates, whenever there's an event on, everybody is involved so nothing else happens. I'm just waiting until all these events finish and then we get some decisions made, which is unfortunate because most of those proposals need preparation time and they need to be ready for the start of the academy programme,” said McInnes.

meazz1
January 29, 2013, 02:38 PM
Stating one such factor, the 38-year-old said, “Fast bowling is physically hard. The food the team eats is rubbish. You can't ask a fast bowler to have a body that's resilient enough to handle the workload if you only eat rice and daal (lentils) -- you can't expect to drive a Ferrari and put water in the fuel tank,” exclaimed McInnes.

Watch it now coach, you have really crossed the line:ohno:

mufi_02
January 29, 2013, 02:45 PM
^^ Hahaha khali bhat ar dal khai. McInnes seems really frustrated and rightly so.

kalpurush
January 29, 2013, 03:25 PM
If we are going to lose Richard, Bangladesh cricket would be in deep trouble.

Hope BCB president Mr. Hasan will do something ASAP before it is too late.

AsifTheManRahman
January 29, 2013, 04:52 PM
We can't afford to lose Richard. He's worked in this environment before and if he's complaining, it means he's beyond pissed.

Ajfar
January 29, 2013, 05:59 PM
BCB doesn't know how to multi task, what else is new. When is the damn election happening? We really need Saber Hossain to come back.

cricheart
January 29, 2013, 06:15 PM
I guess BCB can ignore Richard's frustration ftb. Coming SL tour gonna be a failed one for BD, its almost sure now, as his concern explains. If BPL is the priority atm, BCB better enforce everyone for clearing those BPL payment issues 1st. SL tour evaluation for coaches can be neglected and replacement of Richard can be done after the tour anyway.

simon
January 29, 2013, 06:18 PM
jotoi hok, bhaat niya khota deya ta thik hoy nai ,

Spiderman
January 29, 2013, 06:20 PM
I guess BCB can ignore Richard's frustration ftb. Coming SL tour gonna be a failed one for BD, its almost sure now, as his concern explains. If BPL is the priority atm, BCB better enforce everyone for clearing those BPL payment issues 1st. SL tour evaluation for coaches can be neglected and replacement of Richard can be done after the tour anyway.

You and many other Bangladeshi's need to stop being so negative that Bangladesh will fail in Sri Lanka and all that. If so then we shouldn't be playing Cricket so quit whining and be positive on Bangladesh Cricket.

cricheart
January 29, 2013, 06:42 PM
You and many other Bangladeshi's need to stop being so negative that Bangladesh will fail in Sri Lanka and all that. If so then we shouldn't be playing Cricket so quit whining and be positive on Bangladesh Cricket.

Dont know how you find it negetive. BCB cant multitask, you cant change it, neither expect it after whatever Richard has to say. Knowing yourself well, BCB better keeps her membrains busy on BPL with higher priority and helps it to be successful without Pakistani players, its allready huge challenge than a tour which is due to start next month can be handled without Richard even. Like he said, BCB cant run Ferrari with water but surely can afford some desi kerosine.

MohammedC
January 29, 2013, 06:52 PM
AFAIK that was Richard's motto from his last stint with BCB

Spiderman
January 29, 2013, 07:41 PM
Dont know how you find it negetive. BCB cant multitask, you cant change it, neither expect it after whatever Richard has to say. Knowing yourself well, BCB better keeps her membrains busy on BPL with higher priority and helps it to be successful without Pakistani players, its allready huge challenge than a tour which is due to start next month can be handled without Richard even. Like he said, BCB cant run Ferrari with water but surely can afford some desi kerosine.

I wasn't talking about the Politics I agree its bad but I was talking about our Cricket team and tired of hearing our players will just fail and all that, this is a completely new Bangladesh team now more confident on how to go about their business on the field. These Sri Lankan youngsters are probably not much different to our youngsters so we have a pretty decent chance of winning. If its because these matches are going to be AWAY therefore we fail or something totally disagree. Some of our players travelled to SLPL and performed very well over in Sri Lanka so I don't think they will struggle right from the start.

Nadim
January 29, 2013, 08:13 PM
Ei beta ki bole?? Bhat na khele amader bowler ra ki kheye bachbe????
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Naimul_Hd
January 29, 2013, 08:54 PM
He's an Aussie mate. Straight forward, clear cut message. No twisted/ oiling type message. Love me or hate me, but you can't ignore me !!!

Fazal
January 29, 2013, 08:59 PM
He's an Aussie mate. Straight forward, clear cut message. No twisted/ oiling type message. Love me or hate me, but you can't ignore me !!!

But... BCB is quite successful ignoring him for some time.

Fazal
January 29, 2013, 09:01 PM

Exactly. Bhaaat neye khota?

tiger_army
January 29, 2013, 09:04 PM
I wasn't talking about the Politics I agree its bad but I was talking about our Cricket team and tired of hearing our players will just fail and all that, this is a completely new Bangladesh team now more confident on how to go about their business on the field. These Sri Lankan youngsters are probably not much different to our youngsters so we have a pretty decent chance of winning. If its because these matches are going to be AWAY therefore we fail or something totally disagree. Some of our players travelled to SLPL and performed very well over in Sri Lanka so I don't think they will struggle right from the start.

He didnt mention about the entire team, he mentioned our fast bowlers will struggle in the tour which is valid. I havent seen any of our fast bowlers are doing great in BPL. BPL is just 4 overs game but in SL they have to bowl 10-15 overs per day. I dont think our fast bowlers are prepared for that. I watched the recent Aus- SL T20 from the ground and i saw them practicing before the game. These SL young players are physically fitter then the Australian team. Their catching, throwing, ground fielding were top quality. Kulasekara was bowling 125-130 kmph but he killed the aussie batsman with his swing. Their young batsmen werent scared to go against the aussie bowlers. I dont think BPL is enough to prepare for this tough tour.

AbuDarda
January 29, 2013, 09:07 PM
Ei beta ki bole?? Bhat na khele amader bowler ra ki kheye bachbe????
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

aloo khabe! Beshi kore aloo khan,bhater upor chap koman.

jeesh
January 29, 2013, 11:08 PM
Everything the coach said is true. The last good Under 19 coach we had was Alaistair De Winter. And that was 5-6 years ago. Since then we ve been toying around with our Under 19 setup (Which is surprising considering its our biggest source of talent) Talk about progress! But i am not sure whether BCB will find the way he expressed all this to be professional or acceptable. We cannot afford to lose RM. Will be interesting to see how our current president reacts to this.

al Furqaan
January 29, 2013, 11:20 PM
RM knows how things work in BD, if he's speaking up, it means he's fed up. I don't expect him to stick around much longer.

Is it possible for the war crimes tribunal to indict the past and present BCB leadership? We should start with that king of swine, Lotus Kamal.

BengaliPagol
January 30, 2013, 02:31 AM
I hate BCB. I just hate how they can't accomplish anything.

Tigers_eye
January 30, 2013, 02:55 AM
Dear Observer,
Have patience. We ride with you. Look forward to you as our messiah.

Hamlafan
January 30, 2013, 03:45 AM
All foreign coach's might end up not coming to Bangladesh anymore.

Maysun
January 30, 2013, 05:36 AM
Just came to know that, this is just the surface! :smh:

I guess, BCB will only respond to his statements only after the BPL. But wait, there will be the payment issue to deal with post BPL! :facepalm:

Shubho
January 30, 2013, 08:00 AM
BCB clearly can't multi-task. If there's an event on, the whole of the BCB is just focused on just that single event: ODI WC 2011, T20 WC 2012, tours, BPL, etc. What's even more galling is that even though they only focus on one thing at a time, they can't even get that one event right. The level of incompetence in Bangladesh is mind-boggling.

shuziburo
January 30, 2013, 09:08 AM

What's Mr. Hasan's incentive? Status quo is great for BCB...

shuziburo
January 30, 2013, 09:10 AM

thik achhe, ek bela kore khak!

mij
January 30, 2013, 09:23 AM

This is Bangladesh.

This will be great lost for Bangladesh

BCB doesn't know how to multi task, what else is new. When is the damn election happening? We really need Saber Hossain to come back.

Things need to change for good.

Rifat
January 30, 2013, 09:26 AM
Two key ideas:

Fast bowling camp/preparation before every series to adjust to the intensity and duration of Test Cricket

Appoint a new experienced U-19 coach.(I would suggest Aminul Islam Bulbul)

Rifat
January 30, 2013, 09:36 AM
He didnt mention about the entire team, he mentioned our fast bowlers will struggle in the tour which is valid. I havent seen any of our fast bowlers are doing great in BPL. BPL is just 4 overs game but in SL they have to bowl 10-15 overs per day. I dont think our fast bowlers are prepared for that. I watched the recent Aus- SL T20 from the ground and i saw them practicing before the game. These SL young players are physically fitter then the Australian team. Their catching, throwing, ground fielding were top quality. Kulasekara was bowling 125-130 kmph but he killed the aussie batsman with his swing. Their young batsmen werent scared to go against the aussie bowlers. I dont think BPL is enough to prepare for this tough tour.

Our fast bowling is a huge liability for us. you need quality fast bowling to take 10 wickets, which rarely happens for us. Spin alone will not always bail us out particularly on hard, flat hit me surfaces. Time to groom guys like Abu Jayed, Taskin, Abul Hasan for the longer formats as none of our other pacers have really delivered, Nazmul keeps getting ignored.

What we can do with Nazmul is that play him in tests, but give him shorter bowling spells to reduce the risk of injury.

Spiderman
January 30, 2013, 09:37 AM
I kind of disagree with this bowling breakdown because 1st day in test our fast bowlers probably won't have to bowl no more than 20 overs (120 balls) and 2nd day most likely going to rest possibly 3rd as well then come back to bowl another 20 overs in the last few days so I don't understand how they will easily break down especially when we can rotate our fast bowlers.

In the 1st test against Sri Lanka, probably be using 2 fast bowlers but if i.e. Rubel and Mashrafe are used in the 1st test then 2nd test rotate one of them drop Mashrafe and bring in Abul then when the ODI starts give i.e. Rubel a rest day and bring in Shafiul etc etc. The best way to go about it at the moment so there are less risks with our pace bowlers.

Nazmul Hossain should only be used for ODIs because of his injuries and lack of pace where in Test Cricket, will be difficult for him to get wickets bowling around 70-77 mph. Rubel has the pace but is not consistent enough in hitting the seam and bowls too wide and short which won't help. In swinging conditions, then obviously Shafiul Islam must be picked and used but he needs to gain a bit of muscle which will make a bit of difference. Ideally I would like to see Mashrafe coming back to the test side but he may have to bowl short spells of 5 overs, maximum of 20 per innings which can be manageable.

If Bangladesh want to be come a top Cricket team, the answer is simple mix your Cricket pitches, make some grounds especially training grounds very fast and bouncy, take your first class structure seriously, play abroad especially 4 day and A games, focus on setting up proper fast bowling programs and so on then we wouldn't struggle especially Test Cricket as much.

observer
January 30, 2013, 09:44 AM
Wow, some quotes have got people excited and interested in what is going on. Lets not jump up and down too much. What i did say in the interview, which underpinned the rest of it was that the issues and solutions, importantly the solutions to making BD a strong cricket nation, are systemic and wont be fixed with small changes in focus, or staff here and there.

A range of good coaches and staff have been here in the past yet the results, while improving slightly from time to time, dont show significant signs of consistent improvement. I am passionate about cricket in Bangladesh and do believe that with lots of effort and some smart leadership, they have sufficient strengths (population, love of the game, public support, talent) to be one of the stronger nations in the world. But for that to occur it requires some strong leadership and honesty from people who are in the system to make a change. The easy option for me is to sit quietly, take my salary and just put up with things, spend two years here and the place will be the same as it was when i arrived and maybe was in 2003. I want to have an impact here and make a difference to cricket here and by being honest and up front, i hope to do this.

It should also be made very clear, that everything i have discussed here as been raised with senior management and various directors at the BCB, so there is nothing new in these comments.

Lets hope that we can make some improvements and see a strong BD team emerge in a few years time.

MohammedC
January 30, 2013, 10:10 AM
Thank you coach. Just one question.

Why say no to Dal and Baath? (Rice and Lentils) :D

observer
January 30, 2013, 10:27 AM
Thank you coach. Just one question.

Why say no to Dal and Baath? (Rice and Lentils) :D

haha, basically, training athletes need more protein, as they are constantly damaging and rebuilding muscle fibres. The muscle fibres require protein to regenerate and become stronger, without it they dont improve and dont recover as well, hence training intensity, quality and volume is reduced. Likewise with performance in matches, particularly Test matches, where you may be in the field for a day and half.

Lentils are 9% protein and rice contains 2% protein, where as a piece of chicken contains 31% protein. Obviously it costs more, yes, but if you are investing in players, coaches and gym equipment then you need to invest in the fuel. Hence my analogy about owning a ferrari or BMW and trying to put water in the tank, because its less expensive than petrol.

I sense you probably knew that, but i am sure someone will find that interesting.

AsifTheManRahman
January 30, 2013, 10:33 AM
Coach, looks like not everyone is quite ready to move out of that comfort zone:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/richardmcinnes">richardmcinnes</a> Sir why u r telling in press that our first ballers shud not eat the rice? How u get body develop without the rice/daal?</p>&mdash; BanglaCricket Auntie (@BCAuntie) <a href="https://twitter.com/BCAuntie/status/296473159283113984">January 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/richardmcinnes">richardmcinnes</a> Sir, the rice our Bengali pplz proudness, our farmer work hard to make rice,plz permit our ballers to eat the rice and curry</p>&mdash; BanglaCricket Auntie (@BCAuntie) <a href="https://twitter.com/BCAuntie/status/296473690508513280">January 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sigh, it'll be a challenge. Knowing our players, they probably feel the same way.

mufi_02
January 30, 2013, 10:40 AM
Even after so much rice and daal, Shafiul and Rubel is like a stick. I wonder what Tamim/Aftab eats then.

observer
January 30, 2013, 10:46 AM
A balanced diet is essential containing all food groups and sufficient protein for muscle regeneration.

There is nothing wrong with rice, it is the staple diet of many nations and even in Australia my family eat it several times per week. My daughter practically lives on it, but she is not trying to be an elite athlete, competing against other elite athletes.

I am quite happy for our players to have rice every day, as long as there are eggs for breakfast and some meat based protein at lunch and dinner, to go with the rice.

MohammedC
January 30, 2013, 10:55 AM
Coach do we have nutrition specialist for academy?

Navo
January 30, 2013, 11:06 AM
It really boggles the mind to hear that our players don't get enough meat and eggs (?!) Forget National Team players, I would think the players in the A Team, Academy Team, even the DPL Teams (dunno about NCL...) would get paid enough to afford rice-lentils-veg-chicken/rice-lentils-veg-fish on a regular basis? I live in Dhaka and while the price of basic food stuffs has certainly increased over the past few years, the sums that these above mentioned players get paid (or at least what we read about in the newspapers) seems to be sufficient to ensure a comfortable living!

NoName
January 30, 2013, 11:40 AM
It really boggles the mind to hear that our players don't get enough meat and eggs (?!) Forget National Team players, I would think the players in the A Team, Academy Team, even the DPL Teams (dunno about NCL...) would get paid enough to afford rice-lentils-veg-chicken/rice-lentils-veg-fish on a regular basis? I live in Dhaka and while the price of basic food stuffs has certainly increased over the past few years, the sums that these above mentioned players get paid (or at least what we read about in the newspapers) seems to be sufficient to ensure a comfortable living!

Lol thats what I was thinking, I thought the coach was just generalizing our meal and I assumed they had some meat and fish somewhere in there, but it seems like he literally just means rice and dal is all they eat (what kind of meal is that, barely any taste or is it filling!) :lol:

shakibrulz
January 30, 2013, 11:43 AM
Well done Richie! Thankfully BCB is too spineless to act on such words, so at least he won't get sacked.

Navo
January 30, 2013, 12:23 PM
Lol thats what I was thinking, I thought the coach was just generalizing our meal and I assumed they had some meat and fish somewhere in there, but it seems like he literally just means rice and dal is all they eat (what kind of meal is that, barely any taste or is it filling!) :lol:

Seriously! The BD fast bowlers playing in the BPL are admittedly among the poorest paid players, but even they make AT LEAST USD 10k for the season. That's around 8 lakh taka for a month of cricket! I understand that they have familial expenses and need to think about their post-cricketing future but in combination with their match fees, etc. from DPL, BCL, NCL, A Team etc etc it really shouldn't be that bad...

mufi_02
January 30, 2013, 12:27 PM
I kind of disagree with this bowling breakdown because 1st day in test our fast bowlers probably won't have to bowl no more than 20 overs (120 balls) and 2nd day most likely going to rest possibly 3rd as well then come back to bowl another 20 overs in the last few days so I don't understand how they will easily break down especially when we can rotate our fast bowlers.

why would the pacers rest in Day 2 and 3? We can never bundle out any opposition within Day 1. Jodi bowing i na kore tahole pacer niye labh ki. Dressing room e boshe boshe dal bhat khawar jonno.

Spiderman
January 30, 2013, 01:18 PM
why would the pacers rest in Day 2 and 3? We can never bundle out any opposition within Day 1. Jodi bowing i na kore tahole pacer niye labh ki. Dressing room e boshe boshe dal bhat khawar jonno.

That was just an example but I know what you mean. My point was that 5 days of Test Cricket but our bowlers are most likely to rest for 2 of these days somewhere from days 1-5.

Spiderman
January 30, 2013, 01:22 PM
Nazmul Hossain surprisingly has worked on his physique and has a strong upper bulky body but that shows that he's very smart and knows how to go about his bowling, diet etc. Shafiul Islam hasn't gained 1 pound and doesn't look like he's interested in gaining muscle weight which is the only thing about him that I find disappointing. Abul has a strong body but cannot bowl the basics and someone needs to help him out.

Us Bangladeshi's have this wrong mentality "eat more then become big and strong" - that phrase not only includes healthy food and good poultry but also junk food but can't blame them as the average person is clueless how different types of food can dramatically affect your body. Everytime our parents and grandparents teach this to our young Bangladeshi's in the UK community, they become very fat and unfit.

shuziburo
January 30, 2013, 01:35 PM
Everyone needs protein and too much rice might increase the likelihood of getting diabetes later in life. Looks like our players' dietary habits are the same as the rest of the population. The need to eat a steak every day!

shuziburo
January 30, 2013, 01:37 PM
Nazmul Hossain surprisingly has worked on his physique and has a strong upper bulky body but that shows that he's very smart and knows how to go about his bowling, diet etc. Shafiul Islam hasn't gained 1 pound and doesn't look like he's interested in gaining muscle weight which is the only thing about him that I find disappointing. Abul has a strong body but cannot bowl the basics and someone needs to help him out.

Only if one player had all the traits!

BanCricFan
January 30, 2013, 03:18 PM
They need to eat a steak every day!

Are you serious?!

------

A many centuries ago, the Persian theologian, philosopher AND a physician named Fakhruddin Ar-Razi famously said, "you are what you eat". Unfortunately, not just the "masses" but a great many educated and "enlightened" elite members of the South Asian countries, today, have a very poor dietary knowledge, attitude or habit. It is quite a normal practice in most households to have dinner/supper very late at night and go to sleep with a FULL stomach -literally speaking. About rice -nothing wrong with it as long as its not so refined that there is almost no goodness/nutruition left in it. Most Bangladeshi or other south Asian peoples I know will only eat (refined) white rice. Less I talk about the curry, the degree of spiciness or the method of cooking the better. I hardly know any people who use sea salt (as opposed to the refined mass produced table salt) or raw brown sugar or wholemeal flour for their cooking or baking. These people are not exactly poor, either. Most of them are earning a good living. Could easily afford to eat 'organic' -if only awareness was there! (Rant over).

Thanks coach McInnes. You're a brave and a dedicated man, indeed. Otherwise, you woudn't have been back in BD for a second stint. Hope BCB pays attentions to your suggestions and not shun you. But BCB is BCB -like most of the other BD organisations or instituions. Ignorant/blind, incompetent, greedy and corrupt.

Wish you good luck. You will most definitely need it. :)

M.H.Rubel
January 30, 2013, 03:46 PM
It was really nice interview by Richard. It seem he wants to work,he wants to give us something but we dont have the ability to take from him.Thank you R Maccins for your brave interview.
Desperately need a professional BCB.

kalpurush
January 30, 2013, 04:13 PM
haha, basically, training athletes need more protein, as they are constantly damaging and rebuilding muscle fibres. The muscle fibres require protein to regenerate and become stronger, without it they dont improve and dont recover as well, hence training intensity, quality and volume is reduced. Likewise with performance in matches, particularly Test matches, where you may be in the field for a day and half.

Lentils are 9% protein and rice contains 2% protein, where as a piece of chicken contains 31% protein. Obviously it costs more, yes, but if you are investing in players, coaches and gym equipment then you need to invest in the fuel. Hence my analogy about owning a ferrari or BMW and trying to put water in the tank, because its less expensive than petrol.

It's a shame that BCB can't or not willing to provide a proper meal/diet to our players! What they are doing with all those money being one of the richer cricket board amongst the elites?

If we can't control the corruptions in BCB (and in any other institutions/enterprises in Bangladesh), we won't be successful in world cricket or in anything.

We need a passionate and visionary leader at BCB (and Bangladesh). I would be delighted if that happen before I die.

MohammedC
January 30, 2013, 04:22 PM
It's a shame that BCB can't or not willing to provide a proper meal/diet to our players! What they are doing with all those money being one of the richer cricket board amongst the elites?

Sorry KP bhai, why should BCB provide meals for players. They are not staying in BCB head quarters, are they?

Zunaid
January 30, 2013, 05:43 PM
It's the culture stupid. Sigh. Ack gamla bhaat na khele mon bigrae jae.

HereWeGo
January 30, 2013, 05:51 PM
Sorry KP bhai, why should BCB provide meals for players. They are not staying in BCB head quarters, are they?

I might be wrong, but the point of academy is also to provide meal and accommodation to cricketers in the Academy team....

cricket_king
January 30, 2013, 09:23 PM
lololol too much daal-bhaat. Can't get over that. :lol: How pathetic.

observer
January 30, 2013, 09:44 PM
Lets not get too caught up on the food issue, that was simply an example of something that is controllable, manageable and will impact on performance. It is not the cure for all, but one part of a large puzzle.

If i was to summarize the current situation it might go something like this.
We have a cricket assembly line from district and school cricket up to the National team, we have all the basic framework along the way, but we are using TATA components to build our cricketer and expecting a BMW or Ferrari to come out the other end. We are producing some good players, some good TATA vehicles which are a ver good, affordable car for a particular market, but we are expecting to race against and beat the BMW's, Mercedes, Toyotas and Nissans for example. Our resourcing and system does not match our expectations, and we get disappointed when our TATA does not win.

The upside is that we can change many of the components as they are controllable and it does not necessarily have to cost a lot. We need to invest in people and systems to capitalise on the many advantages BD has over many other cricket nations. Population base, passion for cricket, public support, unmatched access to players, generally good facilities if we can harness these and then invest in our staff we can really move forward.

I would be interested in your thoughts on my analogy and whether you think it reflects the situation.

Ajfar
January 30, 2013, 09:50 PM
Coach that Tata vs. BMW analogy is perfect. In your honest opinion do you think it's possible to see the kind of changes that you are describing? I guess what I'm asking is, the administration that can make these changes happen, do they actually have the same vision/goal as you/fans?

Zeeshan
January 30, 2013, 09:51 PM
Hate to be blunt, but I do not buy the automobile analogy. At the end of the day analogies are exactly what they are. Metaphors. For instance, what is the point of having a Ferrari in Bangladesh if you can't even drive in the traffic?

So similarly, fast bowling is not our forte. But cutting head to cure headache is not the case. I am not sure about Shoaib Akhtar or Indian seamers' diets but if they can get by without drastic changes I do not think food is the meat of the problem.

Also, why not build up on variations, or new deliveries in spin department? Why not subscribe to someone like Warne's calibre to help learn flipper et al. If SLAs are our forte, I don't see why should we NOT be bashful about it and hone our skills further.

This is not to say fast bowling quartet won't do wonders for our team. But why force the issue? Take the path of least resistance...

Ajfar
January 30, 2013, 09:54 PM
So similarly, fast bowling is not our forte. But cutting head to cure headache is not the case. I am not sure about Shoaib Akhtar or Indian seamers' diets but if they can get by without drastic changes I do not think food is the meat of the problem.

But how do you the changes they made are not "Drastic"? Coach clarified he was just using food as an example. He touched on the bigger picture, which is pretty much our cricket culture (invest in people and systems). The reason Shoaib Akhtar or Indian seamers can get by is because they already had a system in place when these guys came into the picture, mean while we are still trying to figure out what that system is.

Zeeshan
January 30, 2013, 09:56 PM
Wait observer is Richard McInnes? I did not criticise him! :P

riad
January 30, 2013, 10:00 PM
Hate to be blunt, but I do not buy the automobile analogy. At the end of the day analogies are exactly what they are. Metaphors. For instance, what is the point of having a Ferrari in Bangladesh if you can't even drive in the traffic?

Fair enough. Then don't expect to race like Ferrari and be happy to be a 2nd tier team in world stage.

observer
January 30, 2013, 10:32 PM

Also, why not build up on variations, or new deliveries in spin department? Why not subscribe to someone like Warne's calibre to help learn flipper et al. If SLAs are our forte, I don't see why should we NOT be bashful about it and hone our skills further.

This is not to say fast bowling quartet won't do wonders for our team. But why force the issue? Take the path of least resistance...

Zeeshan, good feedback and i am certainly not beyond criticism so no offense taken. Your point is a good one, however my analogy is not aimed at driving a Ferrari around Dhaka, if we only wanted to drive around Dhaka, a TATA would be perfect and no need to make any changes, likewise with our cricket system. Unfortunately we want to be able drive and win races all over the world and the TATA just wont do it, if everyone else is driving far better vehicles. At times you will need different types of skills (pace, spin etc to win the race), different types of vehicles if you like, but they will still need to be good quality and able to withstand the rigors of elite competition.

The significant factor in Pakistan is there is much more meat in their diet and they drink a lot of milk from a young age, both high sources of protein and may explain why the Pakistan population tend to be bigger and stronger than other sub continent population. That information has come from Pakistan players when asked that same question. I am not 100% sure re India, but they do have a more mature first class cricket system, which is very professional in terms of preparation, staffing and analysis work. If we could model our system on theirs, it would be good starting point.

Our relatively young cricket age, means we have to catch up, and to catch up we need to improve faster than all other nations. If all the other teams were marking time and happy with what they are doing, we could and would have made more ground. Unfortunately, all other teams are constantly trying to improve, refining their systems, challenging their staff etc to get better. We need to do that better and faster if we are going to catch up and overtake some of them.

Your point re spin, was also accurate, and of course we are working on making our spinner world class. We had Saqalin here last year and will hopefully have him back again, as he was excellent, one of the best spin coaches i have worked with. he was committed and passionate about coaching and about spin bowling and offered wonderful expertise from a great players perspective.

Zeeshan
January 30, 2013, 10:42 PM
Zeeshan.....[snip]..from a great players perspective.

Invaluable insight into Pakistani and Indian players diet. Thank you Coach. Btw, I do not necessarily disagree with all you said.

Once I was seeing the interview, I forget who, Jayardena and Sanga, I think, regardless it was two Sri Lankan players and both echoed that they enjoy rice and curry. Yummy!

So I extrapolated naively that if they can pull out milestones without much change to their diet, if the food factor is really that important.

But you are right. Much fuss about it. You were 100% right on incompetency of BCB though.

See you around the forum. :)

observer
January 30, 2013, 11:11 PM
Quite timely, but some similar sentiments from Brian Lara in his interview.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=267199

Zunaid
January 30, 2013, 11:20 PM
Invaluable insight into Pakistani and Indian players diet. Thank you Coach. Btw, I do not necessarily disagree with all you said.

Once I was seeing the interview, I forget who, Jayardena and Sanga, I think, regardless it was two Sri Lankan players and both echoed that they enjoy rice and curry. Yummy!

So I extrapolated naively that if they can pull out milestones without much change to their diet, if the food factor is really that important.

But you are right. Much fuss about it. You were 100% right on incompetency of BCB though.

See you around the forum. :)

Zee. You can have your rice and eat it too. It's not just about rice but it's about a balanced diet. A diet conducive towards creating great athletes and not lard butts like most of us. It's about balance. It's about proportion.

iDumb
January 30, 2013, 11:26 PM
yet another food thread in banglacricket. Blame the rice....

observer bhai, what's your favorite Bangladeshi dish? Man all these foreign coaches in this site talks only of cricket... I wanna know other aspect too...

I want every coach to tell me what their favorite Bangadeshi dish is.... Ian bhai also has to have some favorite... he looks like he enjoys food.

observer
January 30, 2013, 11:49 PM
I am a fan of the breakfast, roti, eggs and the potato and vegetable dish is quite nice.

Aside from that most of the other meals contain way too much oil for me. I do like the spicy foods and enjoy a good Thai curry, or Indian curry along with the chicken kebabs (Tandoori, Reshmi or the yoghurt based kebab)

kalpurush
January 30, 2013, 11:52 PM
Ha ha roti, egg and potato vagi is my fav breakfast too!

AsifTheManRahman
January 31, 2013, 12:12 AM
Quite timely, but some similar sentiments from Brian Lara in his interview.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=267199
Interesting, Raojan is where my mom is originally from. They eat lots of fatty beef curry, aka mejban.

Sohel
January 31, 2013, 12:16 AM
Reduce the heavy carbs, increase the protein (fish and dairy are both affordable and plentiful in this country), and get good fiber from fruits and veggies when having a big breakfast, smaller lunch and smallest dinner by 8PM.

Zunaid
January 31, 2013, 12:37 AM
I am a fan of the breakfast, roti, eggs and the potato and vegetable dish is quite nice.

Aside from that most of the other meals contain way too much oil for me. I do like the spicy foods and enjoy a good Thai curry, or Indian curry along with the chicken kebabs (Tandoori, Reshmi or the yoghurt based kebab)

Hell yeah. Porata and egg is my breakfast du jour. At least 2, sometimes three eggs. Sometimes no porata. You have good taste. :)

Zunaid
January 31, 2013, 12:39 AM
Reduce the heavy carbs, increase the protein (fish and dairy are both affordable and plentiful in this country), and get good fiber from fruits and veggies when having a big breakfast, smaller lunch and smallest dinner by 8PM.

It's more about 'white' carbs and not necessarily about heavy carbs. Go for carbs with a low glycemic index. Always have a big breakfast and a light dinner. Early dinner. By 7 at the latest.

Sohel
January 31, 2013, 12:53 AM
It's more about 'white' carbs and not necessarily about heavy carbs. Go for carbs with a low glycemic index. Always have a big breakfast and a light dinner. Early dinner. By 7 at the latest.

White carbs it is. I have yet to follow my own advice BTW, and January just came to an end.

observer
January 31, 2013, 01:00 AM

Sohel, you could come and be our nutritionist!!

Important to match what they are eating with what we are expecting them to do on the field and in training.

BengaliPagol
January 31, 2013, 02:38 AM
Pretty shocking that players themselves have no idea what food to eat to take care of their own body. Cmon stack up those cans of tuna from Agora!!

observer
January 31, 2013, 02:58 AM
Some players are pretty good with it, but they can only eat what is put in front of them when they are at training or in camp at the Academy. What they eat at home is their own choice and hopefully the education we provide them with enables them to make good choices.

al Furqaan
January 31, 2013, 03:18 AM

Coach makes a great point. I had this discussion with Coach Pont on facebook once and he disagreed and gave an alternate explanation, which made sense at the time, although I forgot what he said.

Now I'm agreeing with you once again.

The problem is not so much protein, but the components of the protein. Without getting too biochemical, any protein you eat, regardless of whether its vegetable source like daal or meat like a lamb curry, gets digested in the stomach. You get enzymatic degradation of the proteins into their constituent amino acids. This is how the proteins are absorbed, transported, and then resynthesized in your body.

The good thing is that all living things use just 20 different amino acids for protein synthesis. So diverse species like daal and cows still have all the same amino acids, just different proportions of them arranged in different ways.

So lets use Coach's stats to do a little number crunching (whats an al Furqaan post without some stats, eh?).

So daal is 9% protein, and chicken is 31%. So if Junaid Khan consumes 100 g of chicken, he's getting 31 g of protein. By contrast, if Rubel eats 100 g of daal, he only gets 9 grams of protein. Rubel would have to more than 300 g of daal to get the protein that Junaid gets from just 100 g of chicken.

Now figure that humans are genetically more similar to chickens than they are to daal, in the phylogenetic scheme of things. Thus a chicken protein may contain, say 80% of the amino acids we need, whereas daal may only contain 50% (essential and non-essential amino acids). When you factor that in, and I've made these numbers up just to illustrate, Rubel now needs to ingest 480 g of daal to break even with Junaid's 100 g of chicken.

Its very easy to eat 100 g of chicken in one sitting, but there is only so much daal you can eat. Thus, diet, is a large part of what will be holding us back compared to Pakistani or Afghan players.

BengaliPagol
January 31, 2013, 04:09 AM
What they eat at home is their own choice and hopefully the education we provide them with enables them to make good choices.

*cough* Tamim *cough*

simon
January 31, 2013, 08:57 AM
lol
another food related thread.
any updates on Sir Ash's restaurant ?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)

MarvinDaMartian
January 31, 2013, 08:59 AM
Dried fish can be a good source of protein (that goes well with a big bowl of rice if that is what our player like). Egg is a must for athletes. Russians are doing reasearch on alternative source of protein and they found that dried worm contains 65% protein!

MohammedC
January 31, 2013, 09:11 AM
This thread is very interesting .

Shubho
January 31, 2013, 11:20 AM
Dried fish can be a good source of protein (that goes well with a big bowl of rice if that is what our player like). Egg is a must for athletes. Russians are doing reasearch on alternative source of protein and they found that dried worm contains 65% protein!

Dried worm! There's a culinary delight.

mufi_02
January 31, 2013, 11:33 AM
Richard, your system have produced our current core national team batch. Shakib and others won't be where they are now without your coaching. It has been 6 months in your present position. I think you have seen many young and upcoming players in this period. Who do you think can be the next Shakib/Mushfiq/Tamim?

Saifulsohel
April 4, 2013, 10:05 AM
This R.M. is genious. He told way before about pacers probable injury after bpl.

al-Sagar
April 4, 2013, 09:57 PM
sokaler nasta:

red cow ghee e bhaja 4-5 ta porota ( teer ata/moyda )......
jhal gorur mangsho bhuna
dim bhaji
teer sujir halua
sobji (optional)
goromgorom gilapi

10-11 tar dike snacks:

red cow butter oil e bhaja gorom gorom kolija singara or somusa, vegetable roll
rosogolla, chomchom, malaikari

lunch

kacchi/ morog polau with raita salad
jali kabab/ shami kabab
boro size chingri bhuna
faluda
lassi

bikaler nasta:

moglai porota/nan ruti
halim
shik kabab/ khashir leg roast/ grill chicken
roshomalai

dinner:

sada vaat
sobji
macher matha diye moog/mashkolai daal
ilish mach bhaja
katol macher kopta
khashir rejala
kobutor roast
finni/payesh jorda

MarvinDaMartian
April 5, 2013, 06:23 AM
sokaler nasta:

red cow ghee e bhaja 4-5 ta porota ( teer ata/moyda )......
jhal gorur mangsho bhuna
dim bhaji
teer sujir halua
sobji (optional)
goromgorom gilapi

10-11 tar dike snacks:

red cow butter oil e bhaja gorom gorom kolija singara or somusa, vegetable roll
rosogolla, chomchom, malaikari

lunch

kacchi/ morog polau with raita salad
jali kabab/ shami kabab
boro size chingri bhuna
faluda
lassi

bikaler nasta:

moglai porota/nan ruti
halim
shik kabab/ khashir leg roast/ grill chicken
roshomalai

dinner:

sada vaat
sobji
macher matha diye moog/mashkolai daal
ilish mach bhaja
katol macher kopta
khashir rejala
kobutor roast
finni/payesh jorda

bhai, eiguli ki khawar age na pore khabo?

firstlane
April 5, 2013, 06:27 AM

eiguli khabarer sathe khaben.

javed789
April 5, 2013, 08:50 PM
We have ONLY 1 TEST SERIES IN NEXT 10 MONTHS (AGAINST NZ JUST TWO GAMES)

ICC FTP has long gaps and no matches denying our youngsters opportunities. We are better than Aus currently but they play 5 test series while we get nothing.

2 Test series is a joke, ideal is 5 with a minimum of 4 at least.

Pathetic Papon, Kamal only big talk, not organising anything for Bangladesh.

al-Sagar
April 5, 2013, 09:55 PM

sokale khawar aage .....
raate khawar pore

baki time as u wish

Tigers_eye
April 6, 2013, 09:16 AM
The thread has moved on to issues to food. So my 2 cents.

With a pinch of salt, Doc ar Sohel bhai, ei gula hoilo buira'der advice (heavy breakfast, light lunch and light dinner before 7/8pm). For an athlete, you for ones should know all three should be heavy while in training camp. America'i thaika ei shiksen?

The key is to reduce junk food.

As for Tamim-Ash-Mash: Bet'er bari ar heavy exercise.

Night_wolf
April 6, 2013, 10:53 AM
We have ONLY 1 TEST SERIES IN NEXT 10 MONTHS (AGAINST NZ JUST TWO GAMES)

ICC FTP has long gaps and no matches denying our youngsters opportunities. We are better than Aus currently but they play 5 test series while we get nothing.

2 Test series is a joke, ideal is 5 with a minimum of 4 at least.

Pathetic Papon, Kamal only big talk, not organising anything for Bangladesh.

:facepalm: i feel like killing myself because of fan's comment like this in cricinfo :hairpull:

Tiger444
April 6, 2013, 10:57 AM
:facepalm: i feel like killing myself because of fan's comment like this in cricinfo :hairpull:

Why care so much about what trolls have to say? Learn to ignore. I don't even pay attention to those comments because they're mostly BS anyways. No point of boiling your blood for no reason.