PDA

View Full Version : Contract dispute rocks Sri Lanka Team!!!

MohammedC
March 2, 2013, 01:27 AM
Contract dispute rocks Sri Lanka Team

While all eyes are focused upon the upcoming Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) elections, a major contract crisis is threatening to destroy the Sri Lanka cricket team ahead of the home series against Bangladesh that will start tomorrow with a three-day warm-up game at Matara.

The SLC contract with top players including the national players expired on Thursday and SLC has set today as the deadline for the players to sign their new contracts for 2013-14.
However, even by yesterday, none of the 60 players who had been offered contracts had signed it and it appeared last evening as if none of the top 60 Sri Lankan players will be available for the Bangladesh series.
“The Ex-Co has given March 2 as the deadline for the players to sign the contracts. We can only select players who have contracts with SLC. If the players who had been offered contracts refuse to sign it on time, then we will have to take a serious decision. We might be forced to select some other players for the Bangladesh tour,” said SLC Secretary Nishantha Ranatunga.

It is unlikely that the players would be able to sign the contract before today’s deadline expires and there is a very real probability that none of those 60 players would be picked to represent Sri Lanka for Bangladesh’s tour.

http://sports.dailymirror.lk/2013/03/02/contract-dispute-rocks-sri-lanka-team/?

http://www.cricket365.com/news/story/8532675/Contract-drama-threatens-Sri-Lankan-cricket?

al Furqaan
March 2, 2013, 01:48 AM
Why do contract disuputes always happen before a BD tour?

Looks another 2-0 Test series whitewash with the * next to it and all the stats.

mij
March 2, 2013, 01:49 AM
I am sure something will be sorted in time

Rabz
March 2, 2013, 01:51 AM
Not again !!
First the West Indies and now Sri Lanka, though this case the timing is just coincidence.

I think BCB should withdraw from the series if we are forced to play a team that consists player outside the top 60. The wins will mean nothing and the whole series will become meaningless.

Dhaka Bank and Teletalk should withdraw their sponsor money as well.

This is poor stuff from SLC.

jeesh
March 2, 2013, 01:56 AM
Lol, another West Indies like tour.

ialbd
March 2, 2013, 02:01 AM
dhurr khelumi na.... playing against SL club cricketers doesnt give us anything...

hope this gets resolved...

Rabz
March 2, 2013, 02:06 AM
Why do contract disuputes always happen before a BD tour?

Looks another 2-0 Test series whitewash with the * next to it and all the stats.

Because it is easiest to get away with this sort of thing with Bangladesh.
Our board is a weak one and the broadcasters haven't invested a huge deal.
SLC probably going to have to make it up to them with an extra series with a more fancied team at some point.

But what will make it interesting is this time two of the main series sponsors are Bangladeshi companies and I think they should threaten to withdraw, though I wonder whether there was such clause inserted that would ensure the participation of top xyz players as an precondition to full payment.

Eshen
March 2, 2013, 02:26 AM
Not again !!
First the West Indies and now Sri Lanka, though this case the timing is just coincidence.

I think BCB should withdraw from the series if we are forced to play a team that consists player outside the top 60. The wins will mean nothing and the whole series will become meaningless.

Totally agree. Let the players come home and take a break before Zimbabwe series, instead of wasting time playing against Sri Lanka F team. If anyone wants match practice, let him play couple of matches in DPL (given there is no fitness issue).

riankhan
March 2, 2013, 02:28 AM
First WI, now Sri Lanka. The time is near to fear dear BD (for every cricket board).

By the way, one of our most experienced but lowest averaged, luckiest (claims to be unlucky) player will still fail even if we play against Sri Lanka F team.

Rifat
March 2, 2013, 02:32 AM
it's not like we are playing with our full strength XI anyways, the show must go on.

Rabz
March 2, 2013, 02:35 AM
it's not like we are playing with our full strength XI anyways, the show must go on.

But Rifat, this is our full strength team. Missing some of the top players due to injury is part of the game. Happens to every team all the time. At least we have almost all of our centrally contracted players.

But a team without the top 60 ?
It would be a Hambantota Beach boys v Bangladesh.
Meaningless.

Eshen
March 2, 2013, 02:40 AM
^^ Yep, there won't be much for us to gain from this series (if Lankan top 60 do not play) other than cheap ranking points.

Our cricketers can make more money playing in DPL.

MohammedC
March 2, 2013, 02:44 AM
I don't want to play.

Explains why there was no interest from Sri Lankan company to sponsor this series. Another co-incidence when we played WI - F team, UK broadcaster pulled out last seconds and looks like almost similar things are happening now as Zee UK yet to advertise for this event.

I don't know what you guys think but major investors are well informed. Dhaka Bank a new player in this game probably had no idea.

roman
March 2, 2013, 02:47 AM
SLC will sort this out soon. I want to be hopeful

WorldCup11
March 2, 2013, 02:48 AM
Ha ha, we"ll be no 7 in ODI rakings, if we own all 3 matches.

Eshen
March 2, 2013, 02:51 AM
SLC will sort this out soon. I want to be hopeful
It does not seem so. Just read the rest of the report given in the link. Ranatunga and Co are very bullish at this point. They are not even recognizing players association, let alone starting the negotiation with them.

Gowza
March 2, 2013, 02:52 AM
yeah wouldn't be much point, cheap ranking points and a chance to inflate stats. but playing against a team like that will just be pointless, if we want the BD team to improve they need to be playing quality opponents.

Eshen
March 2, 2013, 02:56 AM
I find it ironic that it was Ranatunga's bold attitude that once made Sri Lankan team successful, but now the same bull headed attitude is destroying Lankan cricket. He was once the treasurer and CEO of Sri Lanka Cricketers Association, now he won't even recognize the association! How politics change people!

MohammedC
March 2, 2013, 03:00 AM
I find it ironic that it was Ranatunga's bold attitude that once made Sri Lankan team successful, but now the same bull headed attitude is destroying Lankan cricket. He was once the treasurer and CEO of Sri Lanka Cricketers Association, now he won't even recognize the association! How politics change people!

Nishantha Ranatunga is Arjuna's brother :timeout: . I did not know that.

Eshen
March 2, 2013, 03:03 AM
^^ Oh, ok, it's not Arjuna then. It would be bad to see the hero of Sri Lanka's golden age destroying it now.

His brother is a douchebag for sure.

MohammedC
March 2, 2013, 03:04 AM
^^ Oh, ok, it's not Arjuna then. It would be bad to see the hero of Sri Lankas golden age destroying it now.

Still the same family influence.

Maysun
March 2, 2013, 03:13 AM
It'll be sorted out.

Eshen
March 2, 2013, 03:20 AM
I don't think SLC can sort this out on their own. Only hope is that their sports minister jumps in and finds a short term solution.

Tiger Manc
March 2, 2013, 03:20 AM
Banglawash!!

kalpurush
March 2, 2013, 04:42 AM
Not again !!

Point points point points

RANKING ranking RANKING ranking

UP up ^^^
I will take it!!!;)

kalpurush
March 2, 2013, 04:49 AM
I don't think SLC can sort this out on their own. Only hope is that their sports minister jumps in and finds a short term solution.
No worries Eshen!

Series will go on...and Ash might disappoint you with a ton! ;)

WorldCup11
March 2, 2013, 05:03 AM
Waiting for Simon bhais comment , "Sob Ashraful er tabizer keramoti, o ebar SL er against e required 142 test run kore record korbe, first bd player to score 1000 test runs against any country"

ReZ_1
March 2, 2013, 05:12 AM
beating sl in their home ground comes once in a blue moon, we should grab the situation.

Eshen
March 2, 2013, 05:14 AM
Point points point points

RANKING ranking RANKING ranking

UP up ^^^
I will take it!!!;)
To be honest, I would not mind cheap points either if not the Zimbabwe series was right around the corner. Most of our players are already carrying injuries, situation will be worse after the SL tour. It will not look good if we waste our time and energy bullying SL F-team and then get whooped by Zimbabwe.

Nadim
March 2, 2013, 05:15 AM
Its not our fault do the show must go on!!!!

BanCricFan
March 2, 2013, 05:30 AM
I dont care if it is even the SL ladies team (no disrespect) as long as its the national side on paper -just beat them convinclingly. Anything which moves that is put in front of you -beat them! This might be a blessing in disguise towards creating a winning habit abroad for our young side.

Another BanglaWash would do nicely. :)

Nadim
March 2, 2013, 05:51 AM
Against, nothing on cricinfo so not so serious i reckon

Eshen
March 2, 2013, 05:57 AM
Against, nothing on cricinfo so not so serious i reckonNah, this is not the first time we caught a breaking news before cricinfo. That does not make this news lesser.

godzilla
March 2, 2013, 06:43 AM
What the hell? Not again ... If we win this it's not even worth mentioning. We are good enough to win against their best 11

simon
March 2, 2013, 08:37 AM
Waiting for Simon bhais comment , "Sob Ashraful er tabizer keramoti, o ebar SL er against e required 142 test run kore record korbe, first bd player to score 1000 test runs against any country"

hmm,thik I dhorsen, tobe ei khetre or tabij lagena, or presence i jotheshto, :-|
Ashraful ekta opoya
dhurr

Jadukor
March 2, 2013, 08:40 AM
Against, nothing on cricinfo so not so serious i reckon

Sri Lankan cricket is missing a great reporter like issam to highlight all it's failings

Habib
March 2, 2013, 08:47 AM
hmm,thik I dhorsen, tobe ei khetre or tabij lagena, or presence i jotheshto, :-|
Ashraful ekta opoya
dhurr

But but if he fails what will be his excuse then? Will it be "Ami shudhu bhalo bhalo bowler der against a run kori. Kintu ey tour a kono bhalo bowler silo na to tai..."

On topic- I can't make up my mind if we should play for the ranking or not, but if the series goes on without SL top players I'd lose my interest in it for sure.

ms01
March 2, 2013, 09:07 AM
Isam should definately work in Sri Lanka.!

al-Sagar
March 2, 2013, 09:17 AM
hmm, khela dekhi besh jome uthte jacche

rakib08
March 2, 2013, 10:34 AM
Contracts dispute threatens Bangladesh series
http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-bangladesh-2013/content/current/story/623221.html

It's headline news of Cricinfo now..

cricket_king
March 2, 2013, 11:16 AM
Yeah no point in playing this series if this is going to be the case. Our players are carrying injuries as it is, and we have a tough tour of Zimbabwe coming up.

meazz1
March 2, 2013, 11:47 AM
A Banglawash in the making.
I just hate to see the bad mouthing and pointless put down by the western media.

betaar
March 2, 2013, 12:40 PM
I don't know why people are disheartened. Surely from fans perspective the glamour is gone but for some of the young tigers the situation cannot be better. BD cricket and the young guns can definitely benefit from this easy confidence boosting series.

MohammedC
March 2, 2013, 01:02 PM
SLC locks out 23 top players

Sri Lanka Cricket has frozen out 23 of its top players after a meeting on Saturday could not break the contract deadlock between the board and the nation's best cricketers. SLC has told its selectors not to consider those cricketers for any international cricket, including the Bangladesh series that begins on Friday, until the players agree to their new contract terms. Players' contracts expired on February 28, and all 60 players who were offered new contracts have refused to sign them before the March 2 deadline prescribed by the board.

New Test captain Angelo Mathews and Twenty20 captain Dinesh Chandimal are among the players

Kumar Sangakkara is the only player immediately effected by the lockout, as he will not be playing in the three-day tour match against Bangladesh in Matara, which begins on Sunday, as originally planned.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/srilanka/content/current/story/623234.html

shuziburo
March 2, 2013, 01:05 PM
Not again !!

I fully agree, although the points will be real.

Nadim
March 2, 2013, 01:07 PM
Now i can dream of another BanglaWash ;)

Eshen
March 2, 2013, 01:31 PM
Cricket crisis deepens (http://www.dailymirror.lk/top-story/26118-cricket-crisis-deepens.html)

Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) issued an ultimatum to all national cricketers to sign their annual contracts by tomorrow (Sunday) morning and have warned them that unless they sign the contracts for the next year before the deadline, a totally new team made up of fresh faces who will sign contracts will be picked to face Bangladesh in the home Test series starting on Friday in Galle.

SLC top officials who met the 23 national players tonight at SLC headquarters at a crisis meeting aimed at resolving the current dispute have informed the players that they will not change their stance under no circumstances and have re-iterated that none of the players who sign the contracts will be considered for selection.

National selectors headed by Sanath Jayasuriya will meet at Matara on Sunday and will only consider players who have given written consent to sign the annual contracts under present conditions without any amendments.

All national players including seniors Kumar Sangakkara, Tillekaratne Dilshan, Tilan Samaraweera, Lasith Malinga had attended the meeting tonight. Mahela Jayawardene who is in Thailand on a private visit was only top player absent.

OMG
March 2, 2013, 01:34 PM
Personally I would rather play a full strength SL team and go down fighting than win against a weak SL team. Been waiting for an away Test series for soo long and now it seems like a lot of the excitement has gone for me. Even though knowing BD we may still lose even against their weaker team and still be a joke in Test, or we may win against a weak team and we will still get no credit for it as it was their weaker team! Just like how people talk about the West Indies away win.

meazz1
March 2, 2013, 01:35 PM
A win is a win and we will take it any which way it comes in the ODI.
That being said, i hope we still don't end up in the wrong side of the glory.

Rifat
March 2, 2013, 01:58 PM
Bangladesh still occasionally shows signs of minnowism truth be told. (recently in the same series we won against West Indies we were 13/5 in one of the matches :lol:) No matter whom we play we still should beat them convincingly.

wktkeeper
March 2, 2013, 02:31 PM
situation seems quite serious. no matter who plays, in the record book it will be Bangladesh vs Srilanka. its not our fault that players are not in the agreement.

i think bd players should return home if their top players not playing and play DPL. that will be better practice for upcoming zimbabwe tour. we can send our A team as Bangladesh team to play with srilanka

MohammedC
March 2, 2013, 02:36 PM
After reading the last news in Lankan Mirror, I dont blame the SLC for not agreeing with the players demand.

Eshen
March 2, 2013, 02:36 PM
I know it will be unrealistic to expect BCB to miss out on this chance of cheap glory. But, at least, they should protect players with injuries from this meaningless series, ie replace them for the tour (especially Tamim Iqbal).

MohammedC
March 2, 2013, 02:41 PM
Yes I would do the same. Tamim has not recovered fully so I think BCB should make the right decision by giving him rest.

Tiger444
March 2, 2013, 02:56 PM
Ya Tamim should obviously try and be fit for the 1st Test but if he's not 100% confident, then I don't want to see him play. Had it been a full strength squad, different story but it's better he doesn't risk an injury.

al-Sagar
March 2, 2013, 10:02 PM
so looks like its true ............

we would like to play a full strength SL side , hope things gets okay before the series starts

MohammedC
March 2, 2013, 10:05 PM
Ishhhhh ei team jodi SN thaktho thaile tho 2/3 ta shenchuri kortho

MohammedC
March 2, 2013, 10:28 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Morning Russel (@<a href="https://twitter.com/russelarnold69">russelarnold69</a>). Did you retire so you could get a job where the governing body would actually pay you for your services?</p>&mdash; Richie Benaud (@RichieBenaud_) <a href="https://twitter.com/RichieBenaud_/status/308053975666675712">March 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

cricbook
March 2, 2013, 10:59 PM

I m with u......we should take the oppurtunity....make it rare 2-0.....and take the odi... 3-0......after finish that....lets hammer zim.....so atleast our ranking will improve.....also new players will be clear their fear.....i think it will be good moves....who cares who say what....? i said lets make some record and history...:flag::flag::flag:

TamimFan
March 2, 2013, 11:45 PM
I have a feeling that everything will be okay before first test.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

TamimFan
March 2, 2013, 11:46 PM
Ishhhhh ei team jodi SN thaktho thaile tho 2/3 ta shenchuri kortho

ShaNa must be cursing that blade lol
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

RazabQ
March 2, 2013, 11:50 PM
Look guys. There are no asterisks to the Tests that were played during the Packer years. Nor do I see any asterisk when I look at our records. Any asterisk is in the mind of reporters and supporters. We will play the best team that Lanka puts in front of us. That they have contract issues is their problem. We should play professionally and target wins.

Maysun
March 3, 2013, 12:04 AM
Look guys. There are no asterisks to the Tests that were played during the Packer years. Nor do I see any asterisk when I look at our records. Any asterisk is in the mind of reporters and supporters. We will play the best team that Lanka puts in front of us. That they have contract issues is their problem. We should play professionally and target wins.

Yep, Hit the bulls eye!!

MohammedC
March 3, 2013, 12:20 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Latest from SL is that there is no change. No players have signed a contract and SLC are sticking to their plan. Squad for Galle named today</p>&mdash; Andrew Fernando (@andrewffernando) <a href="https://twitter.com/andrewffernando/status/308083708068519936">March 3, 2013</a></blockquote>

MohammedC
March 3, 2013, 12:28 AM
Now i can dream of another BanglaWash ;)

Our bowlers cant take a single wicket from development squad. And you are talking Banglawash....Dream boy Dream.

Eshen
March 3, 2013, 12:33 AM
Sports minister got involved, but he has not taken the route I thought he would.

Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage said not a single player responded to today's 9 am local time deadline to enter into fresh contracts with the SLC.

Aluthgamage said most of the junior players, among the 60, were willing to compromise but the seniors have to stuck to their guns. Aluthgamage said over 50 per cent of SLC's annual income is spent on player payments.

He said would not mind dropping some of the uncompromising seniors in order to build a new team even if it meant that Sri Lanka would fair poorly in the short term.

http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/bangladesh-series-threatened-by-player-row-113030300036_1.html

roman
March 3, 2013, 12:37 AM
Anything less than a whitewash would be face palm worthy..

MohammedC
March 3, 2013, 12:40 AM
Anything less than a whitewash would be face palm worthy..

You are not following today warm up match, are you? :(

Eshen
March 3, 2013, 12:40 AM
Sri Lanka is turning out to be next Zimbabwe. Yeah, lets go, destroy them (may be that will wake up the politicians).

Habib
March 3, 2013, 12:53 AM
Sri Lanka is turning out to be next Zimbabwe. Yeah, lets go, destroy them (may be that will wake up the politicians).

Yeah, after destroying Zimbo, WI and now SL, we will ultimately destroy BCCI! Muhahahaha. We are the greatest kufa team ever! :D

Eshen
March 3, 2013, 01:03 AM
Can we offer citizenship to Mahela-Sanga-Dillu-Malinga-Kula and ask them to play for us only in major tournaments?

MohammedC
March 3, 2013, 01:06 AM
Can we offer citizenship to Mahela-Sanga-Dillu-Malinga-Kula and ask them to play for us only in major tournaments?

:D I will talk to them as long as you give them NOC to play IPL/BBL even if its in the middle of international series. :D

BANFAN
March 3, 2013, 01:30 AM
Play whatever team they are able to put together and lets have a white wash...:)

Still there is time before the first test to revive the situation for them..

roman
March 3, 2013, 01:31 AM
You are not following today warm up match, are you? :(

I hope to see a much better performance from Bangladesh in test match. Warm up matches are there to get accustomed to the conditions. Let's see

MohammedC
March 3, 2013, 02:39 AM
List of locked out players
Angelo Mathews, Dinesh Chandimal, Mahela Jayawardene, Kumar Sangakkara, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Lasith Malinga, Nuwan Pradeep, Kushal Perera, Shaminda Eranga, Sachithra Senanayake, Jeevan Mendis, Dimuth Karunaratne, Lahiru Thirimanne, Suranga Lakmal, Thisara Perera, Chanaka Welegedara, Ajantha Mendis, Suraj Randiv, Thilan Samaraweera, Prasanna Jayawardene, Upul Tharanga, Rangana Herath, Nuwan Kulasekara.
- See more at: http://www.espncricinfo.com/srilanka/content/current/story/623234.html#sthash.GTLzyAVw.dpuf

Eshen
March 3, 2013, 02:41 AM
"The players are demanding 75 percent of the total revenue and if that is to be paid Sri Lanka Cricket will have to obtain a loan of 600 million rupees ($4.70 million)," Aluthgamage told Reuters.

"I have asked Sri Lanka Cricket to give the players time till Sunday for them to make up their mind, if they still refuse I have told them to go ahead and pick a new team and play the series."

Ken de Alwis, secretary of the Sri Lanka Players Association, told Reuters that senior players would meet the officials on Sunday to discuss the matter.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/03/03/cricket-lanka-pay-idUKL4N0BV09R20130303

Eshen
March 3, 2013, 11:27 AM
Cricket crisis ends (http://www.dailymirror.lk/top-story/26130-cricket-crisis-ends.html)

All national cricketers have agreed to sign the contract with Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) after a lengthy meeting tonight at SLC headquarters, National Chief Selector Sanath Jayasuriya said.

Jayasuriya intervened and met the national players at this meeting after all negotiations had failed between SLC and players.

This enables Jayasuriya to pick a full strength squad for the first Test against Bangladesh.

Jadukor
March 3, 2013, 11:41 AM
Great news. Now what to do about our bowling attack? :head:

Tiger444
March 3, 2013, 11:49 AM
Excellent news. Good to see they will field a full strength squad

AsifTheManRahman
March 3, 2013, 01:13 PM
Yay now we won't have to lose to a fifth grade team.

roman
March 3, 2013, 01:17 PM
SLC will sort this out soon.

Told you so :D

MohammedC
March 3, 2013, 01:22 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>SL players agree to sign original contracts after a long meeting with selector Sanath Jayasuriya. Deadlock over, but they are yet to sign.</p>&mdash; Andrew Fernando (@andrewffernando) <a href="https://twitter.com/andrewffernando/status/308258317308928000">March 3, 2013</a></blockquote>

M.H.Rubel
March 3, 2013, 01:26 PM
Its a good news. So a big fight is waiting for us.

Rabz
March 3, 2013, 01:39 PM
Alhamdulillah !
Its a great news. First overseas test match in 2 years, it would have been a shame if we had to play some goli cricketers.

crikss
March 3, 2013, 02:22 PM
Yay now we won't have to lose to a fifth grade team.

That's what I thought after hearing that they are going to play full strength squad with us because I don't have any hope on this bowling unit. Except Gazi not a single bowler can take wickets unless batsman gift wickets by themselves.

al Furqaan
March 3, 2013, 02:34 PM
Excellent news. On vacay and watching no namers play would be a travesty of epic propotrions.

NoName
March 3, 2013, 02:37 PM
Jayasuriya is the man.

Purbasha T
March 3, 2013, 03:17 PM
Jayasuriya is the man.

The Matara hurricane does it.

Zeeshan
March 3, 2013, 03:20 PM
Can Sri Lanka defeat Sri Lanka? Can BC defeat BC? Can Al-furqaan defeat Al-furqaan? are some questions that awake me at 'tlite...

simon
March 3, 2013, 03:51 PM
amarto mone hoy era doraisilo, ajke jokhon dekhse polapain ra 400 koira phelchey tokhon bhabsey dostokhot koira pheli.

ANyway, thank god & thanks to Joyasuriya.

mij
March 3, 2013, 08:53 PM
amarto mone hoy era doraisilo, ajke jokhon dekhse polapain ra 400 koira phelchey tokhon bhabsey dostokhot koira pheli.

ANyway, thank god & thanks to Joyasuriya.

lol, seems like that

Roni_uk
March 3, 2013, 09:20 PM
shudhu shudhu drama kora...
amar banglawash er shopno bhenge churmar hoye galo :facepalm:

MohammedC
March 5, 2013, 07:08 AM
Malinga confronts media

http://www.dailymirror.lk/video/26226-malinga-confronts-media.html

Tiger Manc
March 5, 2013, 07:12 AM
Samaraweera has handed his resignation to the board.