PDA

View Full Version : Sohag Gazi's Potential!

ms01
March 6, 2013, 02:09 PM
The unexpected talent in Sohag Gazi (http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/444135.html) an Offbreak/Off Spin bowler has led many to question his value and what he can achieve further. I am not surprised with his bowling and wicket taking ability. however, I am starting to wonder, is he a pure off-break bowler or will he become a decent all-rounder?. At time's when Gazi fire's with his BAT, I feel like he strikes the ball cleanly. do we want a excellent off break bowler or do we want a decent bowler and batsmen in Sohag Gazi? how far can Gazi go, will he become a better batsmen or Bowler?. Recently in Twitter, Ian Pont mentioned that he could reach the level of G. Swann. What's your expectation of Sohag Gazi?

Nadim
March 6, 2013, 02:12 PM
His batting is BONUS. just like Swann. BUt i expect him to lead our spin attack even when Shak is there within this year. Boy have some serious talent :notworthy:

Edit: Can you gives us the source of Ian's comment on Gazi?

ms01
March 6, 2013, 02:21 PM
His batting is BONUS. just like Swann. BUt i expect him to lead our spin attack even when Shak is there within this year. Boy have some serious talent :notworthy:

Edit: Can you gives us the source of Ian's comment on Gazi?

Given the poor state of off spin generally, Sohag Gazi has a chance to challenge Swann - if only Bangladesh actually played Tests - Ian Pont (@Ponty100mph)

Sohag Gazi is a super RA off spinner from the land of left arm spin. A county would do well to keep an eye on him - Ian Pont (@Ponty100mph)

Gowza
March 6, 2013, 03:36 PM
take him as a spinner who's batting is a bonus.

Fazal
March 6, 2013, 03:43 PM
Potential shobdo ta shunle bhoy bhoy kore...Arek super talented but under achiever player-er kotha mone pore.

Roey Haque
March 6, 2013, 04:31 PM
They sky is the limit.

Showtime Shohag!

simon
March 6, 2013, 06:04 PM
mark my word
Gazi Sanga ke khaibo

AbuDarda
March 6, 2013, 10:16 PM
mark my word
Gazi Sanga ke khaibo

Just like Gayle,ki bolen?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

jeesh
March 6, 2013, 10:20 PM
Gazi seems to be a classical off spinner in the mold of Swann, Lyon. He's young and too early to call how he ll develop-whether he ll continue this way, whether he ll become unorthodox, or whether he can be a bit of both.

Potential wise he could definitely be up there among the best. Its not because of a dearth of off spinners in the World. Its because he is so smart and intelligent. He's just stepped into international cricket and the way he plays its as if he has been doing it for years. Very quick learner, will definitely progress.

RazabQ
March 6, 2013, 10:39 PM
He needs to ease up on his doosra and keep giving the ball a rip

RazabQ
March 6, 2013, 10:40 PM
As such he's Not a classical offspinner

Zeeshan
March 6, 2013, 10:46 PM
Gazi is not afraid to give the ball flight, while Razzak struggles NOT give the ball flight.

jeesh
March 6, 2013, 11:49 PM
He needs to ease up on his doosra and keep giving the ball a rip
Yes. Correct. An advice Shane Warne gave to Nathan Lyon. Not to worry too much about going with the trend of doosras and teesras. Instead beat the batsman with flight, turn, bounce-like Swann does.

Rabz
March 7, 2013, 01:19 AM
This will be the series Gazi will arrive at world stage.

SS
March 8, 2013, 04:51 AM
no doubt but over using him may cause other problems...I am so pissed at other bowlers for not stepping up their skills they are just taking everything for granted.

jeesh
March 8, 2013, 05:13 AM
Right now he looks like the only Bangladeshi bowler who could pick up a wicket. Sunny for some reason has been reduced to a mediocre spinner. Pity Enamul isnt playing. Wonder whether BCB should have gambled with Razzak or Mosharraf instead of Sunny.

Gowza
March 8, 2013, 06:39 AM
Right now he looks like the only Bangladeshi bowler who could pick up a wicket. Sunny for some reason has been reduced to a mediocre spinner. Pity Enamul isnt playing. Wonder whether BCB should have gambled with Razzak or Mosharraf instead of Sunny.

yeah not impressed by sunny, not that he's looked bad, just hasn't looked like taking a wicket. i don't however think the BCB should have gone with razzak or mosharraf, not that they aren't good bowlers but sunny is the one who has been in the test squad lately and been doing well, even when he's been out of form he's been taking wickets so i'm glad he's been backed, BCB should back the players who perform consistently.

i just hope gazi doesn't get over bowled and end up having issues like shakib.

al Furqaan
March 8, 2013, 07:30 AM

No! Razzak wouldn't have done any better than Sunny.

Rubu
March 8, 2013, 08:33 AM
I think Sunny will never be effective against sub-continent teams. These teams are more familiar with his type of spin. But he will come handy against others.

Leafs PWN
March 8, 2013, 11:34 AM
Greame Swann is his ceiling IMO. I'd be ecstatic if he can be 75% of that.

ms01
March 8, 2013, 11:37 AM
Greame Swann is his ceiling IMO. I'd be ecstatic if he can be 75% of that.

I think he already has, just needs to get 25% more:)

Zeeshan
March 8, 2013, 02:20 PM
Sohag Gazi is god among insects.

ashraful1
March 8, 2013, 02:26 PM
His bowling is the only positive thing we can take from today, inshaAllah my man ashraful goes big tomorrow...

Zeeshan
March 8, 2013, 02:28 PM
Gazi outlasts his colleagues

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-bangladesh-2013/content/current/story/624161.html

BANFAN
March 9, 2013, 02:23 AM
no doubt but over using him may cause other problems...I am so pissed at other bowlers for not stepping up their skills they are just taking everything for granted.

Man, you talk of overusing a player; for a team doesn't even play enough matches. :)

------------
Gazi should focus on bowling and bowling alone now... He can forget his batting until he masters his bowling. A Murali didn't need to be able to hold a bat; yet turned a legend.

Amra always beshi khaite chai; original er cheye, fao te interested beshi..

WarWolf
March 9, 2013, 04:53 AM
Man, you talk of overusing a player; for a team doesn't even play enough matches. :)

------------
Gazi should focus on bowling and owning alone now... He can forget his batting until he masters his bowling. A Murali didn't need to be able to hold a bat; yet turned a legend.

Amra always beshi khaien chai; original er cheye, fai te interested beshi..
Wonderful post. :up:

Reaz
March 10, 2013, 10:40 PM
What an asset for Bangladesh cricket!

In this flat track of Galle and in their own backyard, Herath and Mendis failed to claim more than 1 wicket each.

Whereas Sohag claimed 3 wickets. The number could be more if Jahurul didn't drop two dollies.

And don't forget the fact that those two wickets were one of the two best players of modern cricket (Sangakara and Dilshan).

More importantly he had to toil hard for those wickets. Unlike Mahmudullah's gift to Herath and Enamul's gift to Mendis.

This guy is our future, Murali, Ajmal, Swann, you name it.

Gowza
March 10, 2013, 10:53 PM
Haven't seen enough of his batting but for sure unless he has the potential to be a genuine all rounder and make the team on batting alone then he should definitely focus on bowling. The middle order is coming good and that's where he would be batting so not really any need for him to focus on batting much atm. We don't want him to lose his bowling touch.

jeesh
March 10, 2013, 11:13 PM
What i like about him is how he is learning from every situation and improving. Thinking cricketer. Razzak may have so much experience, but still he keeps making elementary novice mistakes. Gazi seems to be of a different league.

TimAus
March 11, 2013, 05:58 AM
couldn't find the Sohag Gazi thread, this one will have to do.

Love this guy, bowls with great control and is pretty orthodox. I can see him doing well overseas as well as in the sub continent. Need to keep developing him for the long formats. Not get bogged down learning 6 doosras, need that offbreak to turn more and more.

shakibrulz
March 11, 2013, 06:07 AM
I don't mind him getting out cheaply as long as he bowls so well, but really, I do think he's much better a batsman than a slogger. Wouldn't want him to waste time on his batting though, keep bowling well and be the strike bowler.

WarWolf
March 11, 2013, 06:28 AM
He didnt get the rhythm on today. If Sanga was not dropped, he might be able to find the rhythm.

BD_TigerZ
March 11, 2013, 07:12 AM
What i like about him is how he is learning from every situation and improving. Thinking cricketer. Razzak may have so much experience, but still he keeps making elementary novice mistakes. Gazi seems to be of a different league.

:up: :clap:

ms01
March 11, 2013, 07:15 AM
Gazi should have owned Sanga easily in second innings.. Poor Mushy (Still WK a concern)

ms01
March 17, 2013, 11:32 AM
I and you, have we over valued Gazi's potential?

Murad
March 17, 2013, 11:36 AM

Last test e at least 3 ta wtk paini drop catching karone.

Ei test e amader arekta spinner dorkar chilo. Gazi ek dik theke pressure dei are dik theke pacerra sheta release dei.

Ebabhe test e wicket paoa jaina. U need pressure from both ends.

WarWolf
March 17, 2013, 12:18 PM
No. He is into his 3rd test only. It's true that he is an amazing potential. But he is bowling against few best batsmen of spin in the world. And he is the only genuine spinner in the team in this test. We must not forget the the wicket didn't offer much turn or bounce today for the spinners.

He needs a mentor right now beside him. It's better if the mentor is Saqlain. If not, at least Shakib would be a great guide for him.