PDA

View Full Version : CI:Greater unity improved performance - Jurgensen

MohammedC
March 13, 2013, 10:57 AM
Greater unity improved performance - Jurgensen

Mohammad Isam

Bangladesh became a tighter unit after they were pushed into a corner due to injury problems, and this helped them perform well in the memorable draw in Galle, according to their coach Shane Jurgensen. Their first-innings score of 638 - Bangladesh's highest in Test cricket - will be a source of motivation leading up to the second Test in Colombo, which begins on Saturday.

"All the issues and injuries in our team actually made us stronger as a group and more determined," Jurgensen said. "It was led very well by the captain and vice-captain. When we were batting, we made sure we sat together. There wasn't much of a crowd in Galle so the boys had to support those in the middle from the dressing room."

Read Full (http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-bangladesh-2013/content/story/624825.html?CMP=OTC-RSS)

Murad
March 13, 2013, 11:04 AM
Cricinfo te porsilam

Amar ekta jinish bhalo lagena he never talks about the bowling performance. Windies series eo bolenai.

Isnt he our bowling coach??

Need to hire a good bowling coach as soon as possible.

roman
March 13, 2013, 11:14 AM
The timing of this interview is not right. We have played one match so far, job is not done yet. And he already saying how and why the team performed so well. IMHO, too early to talk about success..

And i agree with Murad bhai. Haven't seen SJ talking about our pacers. He was hired as a bowling coach, so we can expect some decent performance from our pacers but performance was very poor. And we got a new coach who is working with our batsmen. So I would give him credit, not SJ.

betaar
March 13, 2013, 11:17 AM
Cricinfo te porsilam

Amar ekta jinish bhalo lagena he never talks about the bowling performance. Windies series eo bolenai.

Isnt he our bowling coach??

Need to hire a good bowling coach as soon as possible.

What's there to talk about bowling....it was a pathetic effort (exaggerated by the flatness of the pitch and drop catches). I'm sure SJ is thinking the same as you, "we need a pace bowling coach". :)

dash
March 13, 2013, 11:21 AM
give credits where its due..the new guy hardly had any time...sj is here for around 2 years.....and bd has been decent during his time...may be he is a good strategist and prepapares his team well....

Nadim
March 13, 2013, 11:40 AM
Why don't they ask him about our bowling?

Saifulsohel
March 13, 2013, 11:49 AM
I never heard him saying any technical issue.

cricheart
March 13, 2013, 12:04 PM
imo Its perfect time to praise our batting performance as a head coach, especially when our superstars aint present and a historic away test draw is made here. While except our openers we aint lacking batting issue atm, I like to hear about our bowling failure from SJ. If he wants this team to win, he must bring in better package to this side than current one atm. Either he should admit the incapability of our bowlers or give reasonings why they aint performing.

Habib
March 13, 2013, 12:08 PM
Shobai ase nijeke promote korar taale. Amader murubbi ekta r SJ ekta.

jeesh
March 13, 2013, 10:13 PM
Come on guys give the guy some credit. We did very well against West Indies and now our first draw against Sri Lanka. Look at the history, 7 innings defeat in past tours. Judging from Mohammad Isams article, it sounds like SJ is really working on the soft side-which is the confidence, motivation, team spirit, unity, sticking to game plan/tactics etc. This is also sth the late Eddie Barlow tried to do. Focused less on the technical side, gave more emphasis to the mental side.

A head coach shouldnt be there to teach ABCD's. That work must be done at Under 19 and academy level.

Jadukor
March 13, 2013, 10:57 PM
SJ had very little time to do any coaching between domestics games, BPL and the Sri Lanka tour. If he had run a month long camp prior to the series I would have given him due credit. As i see it, the coach could be Shujon right now and there wouldn't be any difference in our performance.
Have we seen any improvement in Anamul's footwork? or Shahadat's bowling?, Abul's Bowling? Sunny's bowling? Did we see innovative plans set for Sangakara? Did we see our fielding efforts go up?
I don't think so. The only thing that has been good is our batting and the guys that are performing have found form during the BPL and not due to an SJ magic potion

Eshen
March 13, 2013, 11:55 PM
^^ Have to agree with Jadukor there. SJ starting to sound more like Whatmore (with less technical knowledege) nowadays.

jeesh
March 14, 2013, 12:41 AM
SJ had very little time to do any coaching between domestics games, BPL and the Sri Lanka tour. If he had run a month long camp prior to the series I would have given him due credit. As i see it, the coach could be Shujon right now and there wouldn't be any difference in our performance.
Have we seen any improvement in Anamul's footwork? or Shahadat's bowling?, Abul's Bowling? Sunny's bowling? Did we see innovative plans set for Sangakara? Did we see our fielding efforts go up?
I don't think so. The only thing that has been good is our batting and the guys that are performing have found form during the BPL and not due to an SJ magic potion

A little harsh. Not saying SJ is entirely responsible for this turnaround. There are plenty of reasons but SJ is one of them. The team has the same positivity that we saw in Asia Cup and against West Indies. Note this wasnt the case under Pybus. I happened to see the Bangladesh camp up close under Pybus when they came to SL during Asia Cup. I cant say they had the same buzz they have now.

Jadukor
March 14, 2013, 01:50 AM
I happened to see the Bangladesh camp up close under Pybus when they came to SL during Asia Cup. I cant say they had the same buzz they have now.

Which Asia Cup are you talking about? or you mean the World T-20?
The Asia Cup was in Bangladesh and Stuart Law was the reason for the positive outlook.
The team itself is uniting better now than compared to Siddons era when it was a two man show. I give credit to Mushfiq for leading by example and his ability to mingle with all the players.
I am not saying SJ is a bad coach. All I am saying is that I don't think he has had enough time to make an impact to the overall performance. He certainly didn't have any impact in our bowling or fielding. I would say both have regressed since Pont and Fountain left. I would like to see individual player improvement and proper team plans before I will give credit to SJ

BANFAN
March 14, 2013, 02:20 AM
SJ needs to show improvement in the bowling dept, I don't expect him to do much in other side.

Rather ill be happy if he doesn't try to do much with other depts.

jeesh
March 14, 2013, 03:13 AM
Which Asia Cup are you talking about? or you mean the World T-20?
The Asia Cup was in Bangladesh and Stuart Law was the reason for the positive outlook.
The team itself is uniting better now than compared to Siddons era when it was a two man show. I give credit to Mushfiq for leading by example and his ability to mingle with all the players.
I am not saying SJ is a bad coach. All I am saying is that I don't think he has had enough time to make an impact to the overall performance. He certainly didn't have any impact in our bowling or fielding. I would say both have regressed since Pont and Fountain left. I would like to see individual player improvement and proper team plans before I will give credit to SJ
Sorry my bad. I meant i watched the Bangladeshi team up close when they came to Sri Lanka to play in the T20 WC.

SJ was the deputy to Stuart Law and both seem to be from the same school of thought. They really made a difference for Bangladesh in Asia Cup focusing very much on the soft side of the game. Also when Law left he suggested we make Jurgensen the head coach.

But agree a lot of individual improvement is required. Pace bowling in particular is in tatters. Fielding level is decent, but we continue to make silly mistakes.

ms01
March 14, 2013, 04:56 AM

I think your being little harsh on SJ, He has done some goods like the Plan against Chris Gayle @ home, The good bowling by bowlers at home against West Indies. Its better to give SJ the full series to make a judgement, remember that even Staurt Law or Jamie Siddons did not achieve much with bangladesh overseas. The moment our pacer's flop on a sporting wicket, I will defo start to worry.. So far its all been about batting.

Naimul_Hd
March 14, 2013, 05:13 AM
I am not sure about technical side but it looks like SJ has a positive effect on the mind set of our players.

Jadukor
March 14, 2013, 05:30 AM
I think your being little harsh on SJ, He has done some goods like the Plan against Chris Gayle @ home, The good bowling by bowlers at home against West Indies. Its better to give SJ the full series to make a judgement, remember that even Staurt Law or Jamie Siddons did not achieve much with bangladesh overseas. The moment our pacer's flop on a sporting wicket, I will defo start to worry.. So far its all been about batting.

As i said before i am not criticizing him or saying he is a bad coach. I am saying he hasn't had enough time in my opinion to make substantive changes and i will give credit to him only when i see improvements at an individual level.

Murad
March 14, 2013, 11:50 AM

Saqlain says HELLLO!!!!

Only the spinners did well against windies.

And it was saqlain who made the plan for gayle with gazi. Gazi said it himself after the series.

Shane works with pacers only. His only job was to work with pacers for last 1.5-2 yrs. And he totally failed in that department.

Murad
March 14, 2013, 11:53 AM
I am not sure about technical side but it looks like SJ has a positive effect on the mind set of our players.

Oi player der majhe ki bowlerra o ache naki bhai??

Tiger444
March 14, 2013, 11:59 AM
Saqlain says HELLLO!!!!

Only the spinners did well against windies.

And it was saqlain who made the plan for gayle with gazi. Gazi said it himself after the series.

Shane works with pacers only. His only job was to work with pacers for last 1.5-2 yrs. And he totally failed in that department.

But should we blame only Shane for our pace debacle?

AsifTheManRahman
March 14, 2013, 12:06 PM
Somebody should ask Richard if there are any pacers worth looking at among those 80 and what he's doing to get them in shape.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/bcauntie">bcauntie</a> not sure where you heard that.</p>&mdash; Richard McInnes (@RichardMcInnes) <a href="https://twitter.com/RichardMcInnes/status/312167939191226368">March 14, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/richardmcinnes">richardmcinnes</a> Sir, last 2 line in this Bangla report saying Akram bhai angry, reserve player not coming to training <a href="http://t.co/yV9BH4YG94" title="http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/date/2013-03-10/news/335316">prothom-alo.com/detail/date/20…</a></p>&mdash; BanglaCricket Auntie (@BCAuntie) <a href="https://twitter.com/BCAuntie/status/312194699219828736">March 14, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/richardmcinnes">richardmcinnes</a> Thnx u sir for clearifying, maybe Akram bhai mistaking a bit. I heared he eat the KFC too much.</p>&mdash; BanglaCricket Auntie (@BCAuntie) <a href="https://twitter.com/BCAuntie/status/312194921329197057">March 14, 2013</a></blockquote>

SS
March 14, 2013, 12:24 PM
Somebody should ask Richard if there are any pacers worth looking at among those 80 and what he's doing to get them in shape.

<IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #bbb 1px solid; MIN-WIDTH: 220px; BORDER-LEFT: #ddd 1px solid; MARGIN: 10px 0px; DISPLAY: block; MAX-WIDTH: 99%; BORDER-TOP: #eee 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #ddd 1px solid; borderRadius: 10px; boxShadow: 0 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.15)" id=twitter-widget-0 title="Embedded Tweet" height=242 frameBorder=0 width=500 allowTransparency scrolling=no class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true"></IFRAME>
<SCRIPT charset=utf-8 src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" async></SCRIPT>

<IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #bbb 1px solid; MIN-WIDTH: 220px; BORDER-LEFT: #ddd 1px solid; MARGIN: 10px 0px; DISPLAY: block; MAX-WIDTH: 99%; BORDER-TOP: #eee 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #ddd 1px solid; borderRadius: 10px; boxShadow: 0 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.15)" id=twitter-widget-1 title="Embedded Tweet" height=284 frameBorder=0 width=500 allowTransparency scrolling=no class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true"></IFRAME>

<IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #bbb 1px solid; MIN-WIDTH: 220px; BORDER-LEFT: #ddd 1px solid; MARGIN: 10px 0px; DISPLAY: block; MAX-WIDTH: 99%; BORDER-TOP: #eee 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #ddd 1px solid; borderRadius: 10px; boxShadow: 0 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.15)" id=twitter-widget-2 title="Embedded Tweet" height=290 frameBorder=0 width=500 allowTransparency scrolling=no class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true"></IFRAME>

can't stop laughing BCAuntie's comment on Akram :floor:...may be she should tell Richard to include him too

Fazal
March 14, 2013, 01:06 PM
Here is how I see it:

- I see no harm JS speaking out after 1st TEST before the end of the series. Yes job is not done yet, but it was a great accomplishment for Bangladesh team from different aspect even it was a draw.

- Yes JS didn't said anything about fast bolwing i.e. deficiencies. What he is supposed to say? In the middle of the series with some sign of success, I think it’s wise to give more attention to the positives (than negatives) in the media. Why media didn’t ask the question? It’s not JS’s fault. May be at the end of the series he may open up his mind about our FBs. But now it will not bring any positives to the team.

- Yes the FB was toothless. But so was SL's FBs. So was Sunny (the other spinner). This is not the pitch that FBs will do something, we had 8 centuries in that game and none of the FBs of both sides dominated in that pitch.

- Yes JS doesn't have much success with the FBs as a specialized (FB) coach. And we all agree with that. But now his role has been changed for last two series and that's where he should be evaluated i.e. potentially how good a head coach he is?

- Yes individual improvement is important, and team improvement will be the cumulative of multiple individual improvements. And when we judge a head coach, for good or for bad, the team improvement is more appropriate criteria than individual improvement.

- Yes individual improvement is good, but as a fan, I care more about team improvement.

- JS is not going to solve all the problems, but if we back him up with good specialized coaches ( that is re allocating some of the head coach's money to specialized coaches), then I see more realistic solution for us rather than spending high-profile high-maintenance head coach

- I see some positives from the WI series. Yes he may be lucky and may be “at the right position at the right time”. But at the same token, I would rather have “lucky head coach” who brings good result than a “great but unlucky head coach” who can bring no positive result and only gives us excuses for his failure.

- I would rather have young unproven but “hungry for success” head coach than established high profile “fat cat” head coach who doesn’t look like committed to the challenge (of leading our team).

- Yes it’s early to give full credits to JS. But on the other hand it’s also too early to discount him as a failure as a potential head coach material. Atleast we should acknowledge that the signs are good.

- The role of a specialized coach and the role of head coach are two different things, so we shouldn’t compare those two together; it’s like comparing apple to oranges. JS may not be a good bowling coach, that doesn’t make him an automatic bad choice for head coach.

- BCB must have seen something closely working with JS that we didn't have the opportunity to observe. May be that’s why they have more faith on him than some of us. May be that's why they promoted him as temporary head coach even when his success as bowling coach was not apparent to the fans. And so far it looks like may be BCB was right.

betaar
March 14, 2013, 10:39 PM
I have to agree with Jadukor. Fact can be harsh but it is what it is.

SJ may be working on the intangible side of training but he hasn't had enough time to be blamed or credited for anything. But sadly the only thing he had time for, fast bowling, did not yield any result for the last few series. I know the blame isn't totally his but we need result; whatever the cost may be.

BANFAN
March 15, 2013, 05:42 AM
JS Ferot Ashse naki abar ...:)

beshideshi
March 15, 2013, 06:43 AM
I think blaming Jurgensen for our horrendous pace bowling department is like blaming the cook when the ingredients are atrocious. I have not seen a single pacer in the past few years who would even make it into County teams or Australian State teams.
The fact that Mashrafe, after 12 years of his debut, and after 6 knee reconstruction, is still our best bowler, tell you the story. Our pace bowlers lack physical fitness to be playing tests. They also lack a lot of technical abilities required to be at the highest level. I normally like to be optimistic about every aspect of our game, but the way pace bowling in our country is going, we can't expect too much of them yet.

BANFAN
March 15, 2013, 07:07 AM
I think blaming Jurgensen for our horrendous pace bowling department is like blaming the cook when the ingredients are atrocious. I have not seen a single pacer in the past few years who would even make it into County teams or Australian State teams.
The fact that Mashrafe, after 12 years of his debut, and after 6 knee reconstruction, is still our best bowler, tell you the story. Our pace bowlers lack physical fitness to be playing tests. They also lack a lot of technical abilities required to be at the highest level. I normally like to be optimistic about every aspect of our game, but the way pace bowling in our country is going, we can't expect too much of them yet.

I have actually seen marked improvement of the pacers during 3 months of Ian Pont. I have seen improvement of spinners during Mushtaq's period against WI... A coach really can make difference with his presence. You can see at least working to a plan, accepting their limitations. But that's what is completely absent with SJ..

If a bowler has a plan, that even reflects confidence in his on field body language. I neither see that vibe in either pacers or spinners what I saw when those two were present.. What I see now is, the bowlers are trying hard, but without a plan...I feel there is no solid input from the bowling coach...

Murad
March 15, 2013, 08:08 AM
SJ can admit he is not good enough for pace bowlers and ask BCB for a bowling coach. BCB can keep him as HC if he is doing good.

He got Abul Hasan from the beginning. Couldn't make any improvements.
I'm not blaming him for Shahadat. He is always same.
He didn't ask Selectors to give him pacers outside national squad. There are many youngsters he could have worked with. When Pont was with the national team he did work with pacers outside the national squad.

jeesh
March 15, 2013, 10:21 AM
Problem with pace bowling is more skin deep. I dont think even the best pace bowling coach in the world will be able to get anything out of Shahadat and Abul. Unfortunately Rubel, Mashrafe and Shafiul have been injury plagued. And the selectors totally ignore the only pace bowler who has good basics. Abul Hasan hasnt even picked 10 wickets in first class cricket. How can we expect someone so raw to make an impact at this level?

BCB, selectors need long term planning and implementation to resolve this crisis. Dont expect SJ or even Craig McDermott to come and solve it. Theres so much that needs to be done- pace unit/academy, pace/talent hunts. Developing pace friendly pitches to encourage seamers. Developing strengthening/diet plans for pace bowlers to prevent injuries (Like we saw Shafiul, Rubel, Mashrafe struggle with). Picking bowlers who have actually succeeded in domestic cricket, giving them A team tours-home and abroad. And only introduce them into the NT once they are ready. Only then a pace bowling coach can make an impact. Sri Lanka has 4 fast bowling coaches. 2 of them work with the NT, 2 of them work with the emerging. They have specialist fitness trainers, physios for their pace bowlers. Now what do we have in comparison?

Fazal
March 15, 2013, 10:27 AM
Now what do we have in comparison?

Unrealistic expectation may be that may not back up with reality. And ofcourse a punching bag in JS for failing to produce FBs for the nation.

beshideshi
March 15, 2013, 10:39 AM
I have actually seen marked improvement of the pacers during 3 months of Ian Pont. I have seen improvement of spinners during Mushtaq's period against WI... A coach really can make difference with his presence. You can see at least working to a plan, accepting their limitations. But that's what is completely absent with SJ..

If a bowler has a plan, that even reflects confidence in his on field body language. I neither see that vibe in either pacers or spinners what I saw when those two were present.. What I see now is, the bowlers are trying hard, but without a plan...I feel there is no solid input from the bowling coach...

The one series where the pacers looked like they could bowl was against NZ, however I still think the performance was enhanced by the shortcoming of the NZ batsmen during that period. Pacers had 'not so rubbish' patches, but overall the standards have been quite poor.

And if you are playing test cricket, and still do not have a plan to get a batsman out, then you should not be there in the first place. Simple as that. Why should the coach spoon feed them every single detail? A kid who has played 4 cricket games would know the basics about getting a batsman out, 1. Don't let him score runs 2. Bowl where he least wants it. 3. Persist with the line & length. 4. Bowl in 3 ball overs, ie. outswing outswing inswing.
You should not be needing a bowling coach to figure that out. I can't help but think, even if these bowlers are polished and the best is found out them, anyone would be averaging below 45 in test cricket.

beshideshi
March 15, 2013, 10:43 AM
Problem with pace bowling is more skin deep. I dont think even the best pace bowling coach in the world will be able to get anything out of Shahadat and Abul. Unfortunately Rubel, Mashrafe and Shafiul have been injury plagued. And the selectors totally ignore the only pace bowler who has good basics. Abul Hasan hasnt even picked 10 wickets in first class cricket. How can we expect someone so raw to make an impact at this level?

BCB, selectors need long term planning and implementation to resolve this crisis. Dont expect SJ or even Craig McDermott to come and solve it. Theres so much that needs to be done- pace unit/academy, pace/talent hunts. Developing pace friendly pitches to encourage seamers. Developing strengthening/diet plans for pace bowlers to prevent injuries (Like we saw Shafiul, Rubel, Mashrafe struggle with). Picking bowlers who have actually succeeded in domestic cricket, giving them A team tours-home and abroad. And only introduce them into the NT once they are ready. Only then a pace bowling coach can make an impact. Sri Lanka has 4 fast bowling coaches. 2 of them work with the NT, 2 of them work with the emerging. They have specialist fitness trainers, physios for their pace bowlers. Now what do we have in comparison?

Exactly. The culture is very wrong and the least pacer friendly. Abul Hasan averages 89 in FC, how can a selector panel dare to put him into the depth of test cricket? What did we expect, he is going to beat the batsmen for pace while bowling at 140?

I have said this before, we need to have a proper pace academy, where all the kids will think about 24/7 is pace bowling, bowling quick and getting the batsman out. No one will be an all rounder, no one will end up as a batsman, just pure pace bowlers.

jeesh
March 15, 2013, 11:09 AM
@BANFAN. Do you think all our spinners improved under Saqlain? Or just Gazi? And in any case a spin coach shouldnt have much difficulty nurturing our guys. Guys like Saqlain Sajib, Enamul Jnr, Sunn'ys have all 200 plus wickets in first class cricket. They have been bowling all their lives in spin friendly wickets. The basic ingredients are all there. I bet if you put Salahuddin as our spin coach you ll have similar impact.

reyme
March 15, 2013, 05:08 PM
Ever since Ian Pont left, pace bowling only went wayward and lower quality. So yes, we need Ian Pont back either as a pace bowling coach or as head coach. I am not sure what Shane Jurgensen really does, he is there for 2 years with no positive impact, and Ian made positive impact in 3 months..

Fazal
March 15, 2013, 07:59 PM
If Ian made positive impact in 3 months with out young FBs, then may be he should be hired to work with our young FBs outside the national team. That should be the way anyway, so that there is constant flow of more prepared FBs in the national team.

Why you would want to teach your players basics in the national level?

Zunaid
March 15, 2013, 08:16 PM
If Ian made positive impact in 3 months with out young FBs, then may be he should be hired to work with our young FBs outside the national team. That should be the way anyway, so that there is constant flow of more prepared FBs in the national team.

Why you would want to teach your players basics in the national level?

Simple - because they do not know the basics. We do not have the luxury of a more developed cricketing nation to expect our national pipeline of cricketers loaded to the gills with the basics. What we have is reality - team chock full of bad habits which unfortunately have to be coached out while they are IN the national time. Yes, we should also ensure that the reservoir filling the pipeline is properly groomed and that's why we have the Academy under the aegis of McInnes and I'm also hoping we set of proper coaching academies all over to instill the right techniques and habits before they get entrenched. That being said, we will bear the fruits in the future. What do we do right now? Yes, we WOULD want to teach our players basics at the National level. Simple, really. Reality, really.

Fazal
March 15, 2013, 08:26 PM
Simple - because they do not know the basics. We do not have the luxury of a more developed cricketing nation to expect our national pipeline of cricketers loaded to the gills with the basics. What we have is reality - team chock full of bad habits which unfortunately have to be coached out while they are IN the national time. Yes, we should also ensure that the reservoir filling the pipeline is properly groomed and that's why we have the Academy under the aegis of McInnes and I'm also hoping we set of proper coaching academies all over to instill the right techniques and habits before they get entrenched. That being said, we will bear the fruits in the future. What do we do right now? Yes, we WOULD want to teach our players basics at the National level. Simple, really. Reality, really.

If that is the reality, then hire Ian (or someone like his caliber ) as bowling coach and help JS, the head coach, in that aspect . Problem solved.

I don't see any we need to replace JS at this stage when overall we are seeing somehow we are doing better than expected as a team overcoming with key major injuries and a flood of new inexperienced players.

Habib
March 16, 2013, 04:19 AM
Pacer der bindu matro improvement korte pare nai, abar 3 jon pacer khelay. Shokh koto.

BANFAN
March 16, 2013, 05:04 AM
Unity helps, but when you have skills....would be better if he was working on skill than unity...the captain can take care of unity....

Jadukor
March 16, 2013, 07:16 AM
We don't have bowlers to take 20 wkts so on most wickets if we win toss we would probably bat. On a pitch like this that assists pace bowling we knew that if Sri lanka win toss they would make us bat too. So logically we could have gone with two spinners knowing Sri lanka would have to bat last. It would have countered the Sri Lankan strategy well.

Tigers_eye
March 16, 2013, 07:17 AM
Motivation didn't work well this time. Back to inconsistent performance.

Though, must congratulate the coach for Test one performance. Beyond my wildest dream.

Tigers_eye
March 16, 2013, 07:21 AM
We don't have bowlers to take 20 wkts so on most wickets if we win toss we would probably bat. On a pitch like this that assists pace bowling we knew that if Sri lanka win toss they would make us bat too. So logically we could have gone with two spinners knowing Sri lanka would have to bat last. It would have countered the Sri Lankan strategy well.
The bold part negates the underline part.
Plus rain is projected all five days we play. The moisture and cloud cover in the slow pitch would help the fast bowlers.

jeesh
March 18, 2013, 09:10 AM
Credit must be given to SJ. Quicks have shown a lot more discipline and they bowled to a plan. Unfortunately our batsmen couldnt match that